Author Topic: The Culture War Thread  (Read 146733 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: The Culture War Thread
« Reply #600 on: May 30, 2022, 07:59:10 AM »

:lol

MMaRsu

• Administrator
What

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #602 on: May 30, 2022, 12:08:00 PM »
I would never fail you Amber :shaq
(ice)

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #603 on: May 30, 2022, 01:20:23 PM »
Pissy F Simpy
Margs

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #604 on: May 30, 2022, 01:28:02 PM »
never stick your dick in a crazy chick
What

Polident Hive

« Reply #605 on: May 30, 2022, 06:16:20 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

om nom nom nom :mouf

Two profile things I’m always confused by. When fat is listed next to disability, race, class, and sexual orientation. The vagueness of disability. Saw somebody list disability and when pressed, said it referred to ADHD. Technically, yeah? Sure. Anyway, ending any stigmatization towards people overweight? absolutely. Just don’t get how it’s comparable.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #606 on: May 30, 2022, 07:49:56 PM »

:lol

This is, honestly, why we progressives constantly fail. There are fun-ruiners throughout our populace that will tell us that we're unacceptable, that our methods are unacceptable, that our "help" is unwanted. JFC, it's a goddamned joke, and it's a good one.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #608 on: May 31, 2022, 12:38:57 AM »
ὕβρις

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #610 on: May 31, 2022, 11:24:35 AM »
Suicide has been cancelled

Yet Williams does not utter the word “suicide” to her front-facing camera, or type it in her captions, for fear the TikTok algorithm will censor or remove her content. Instead, she uses the word “unalive.”

The hashtag #unalivemeplease has 9.2 million views on TikTok; #unaliving has 6.6 million; #unaliveawareness has an additional 2.2 million. Though #suicideprevention is a frequently used tag on the app, the hashtags #suicide and #suicideawareness do not exist—if you search for them, TikTok pulls up the number for a local crisis helpline. It’s a well-intentioned policy, initiated in September 2021, a year after a graphic video of a suicide spread across the app. But users have also come to fear elusive content moderation filters that seemingly suppress or remove videos discussing death, suicide, or self-harm.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/05/are-tiktok-algorithms-changing-how-people-talk-about-suicide/

:juche
:O

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #611 on: May 31, 2022, 01:07:23 PM »

Yet Williams does not utter the word “suicide” to her front-facing camera, or type it in her captions, for fear the TikTok algorithm will censor or remove her content. Instead, she uses the word “unalive.”

The hashtag #unalivemeplease has 9.2 million views on TikTok; #unaliving has 6.6 million; #unaliveawareness has an additional 2.2 million. Though #suicideprevention is a frequently used tag on the app, the hashtags #suicide and #suicideawareness do not exist—if you search for them, TikTok pulls up the number for a local crisis helpline. It’s a well-intentioned policy, initiated in September 2021, a year after a graphic video of a suicide spread across the app. But users have also come to fear elusive content moderation filters that seemingly suppress or remove videos discussing death, suicide, or self-harm.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/05/are-tiktok-algorithms-changing-how-people-talk-about-suicide/

What an interesting article about /gaming/ :trumps
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #612 on: May 31, 2022, 02:46:36 PM »
Imagine being suicidal and worrying about your future subscriber numbers?
Spud

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #613 on: May 31, 2022, 02:50:52 PM »
whats wrong with wanting your family looked after once you pass away :snob
(ice)

james

« Reply #614 on: May 31, 2022, 02:52:47 PM »

I will kill myself if this post doesn't get at least two likes

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #615 on: May 31, 2022, 02:52:53 PM »
teens in a decade be like "glabsmek me in the fringe, if you don't orthocop this tradsack you won't have enough spillage to rankle even one yuthcrib #justcamessthings #unidyneawareness"
Uncle

BIONIC

« Reply #616 on: May 31, 2022, 03:15:28 PM »

Like this post and I’ll like yours  :sistine
Margs

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #617 on: May 31, 2022, 07:18:09 PM »

Well....we're waiting!
Spud

BIONIC

« Reply #618 on: May 31, 2022, 07:22:39 PM »
Jesus Bionic Saves  :preach
Margs

james

« Reply #619 on: May 31, 2022, 08:06:53 PM »

Well....we're waiting!

Transhuman, Nintex and BIONIC like this.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #620 on: May 31, 2022, 11:18:48 PM »

Well....we're waiting!

Transhuman, Nintex and BIONIC like this.

Pussies. There were no likes when I posted that.

At least two of you should unlike that immediately
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #621 on: May 31, 2022, 11:20:17 PM »

I will kill James if this post gets at least two likes.
Spud

BIONIC

« Reply #622 on: June 01, 2022, 05:12:29 AM »

I will kill James if this post gets at least two likes.

Margs

BIONIC

« Reply #623 on: June 01, 2022, 05:38:23 AM »
Cauliflower you little shit
Margs

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #624 on: June 01, 2022, 05:39:14 AM »
 :elon

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #625 on: June 01, 2022, 07:47:47 AM »

They should honestly all commit unalive, in Minecraft.

benjipwns

« Reply #626 on: June 02, 2022, 05:49:40 PM »

https://twitter.com/adamdavidson/status/1532307935233290240
https://twitter.com/ericacbarnett/status/1532089647702036480

https://twitter.com/anitasarkeesian/status/1532083864641753088
https://twitter.com/anitasarkeesian/status/1532092637460672512
https://twitter.com/NewYorker/status/1532371840336908293
The trial has turned into a public orgy of misogyny. While most of the vitriol is nominally directed at Heard, it is hard to shake the feeling that really, it is directed at all women – and in particular, at those of us who spoke out about gendered abuse and sexual violence during the height of the #MeToo movement. We are in a moment of virulent antifeminist backlash, and the modest gains that were made in that era are being retracted with a gleeful display of victim-blaming at a massive scale. One woman has been made into a symbol of a movement that many view with fear and hatred, and she’s being punished for that movement. In this way, Heard is still in an abusive relationship. But now, it’s not just with Depp, but with the whole country.
Johnny Depp’s legal victory and the death of Roe v. Wade are part of the same toxic cultural movement.

After five years of anticipation, it’s now clear: The long-awaited and much-dreaded backlash to the Me Too movement is here.

On May 2, a draft leaked of a Supreme Court opinion that would strike down Roe v. Wade and, with it, American women’s rights to reproductive freedom. On June 1, Johnny Depp won his defamation suit against Amber Heard, who alleged that he abused her. Depp’s argument, which the jury apparently agreed with, was that Heard had in fact abused him and lied about it. (Heard won one count of defamation of her own, against Depp’s former lawyer Adam Waldman.) It’s only fitting that the cultural moment that began with women speaking out against the powerful men who they say hurt them announced its end by the courts finding in favor of one of those men.

Every wave of feminist activism is greeted by a backlash. The political action of the 1970s met the reactionary work of Phyllis Schlafly and her cohort, who killed the Equal Rights Amendment. The girl-power ethos of ’90s third-wave feminism gave way to the virginity-obsessed purity culture of the Bush era. And now, five years after the Me Too movement entered its most public phase with the 2017 downfall of Harvey Weinstein, fourth-wave feminism has met its own backlash.

Here is where the reaction leaves us: Currently, our legal system seems to be on the brink of recognizing neither women’s right to control their bodies nor women’s right to speak about the violence that has been done to their bodies.

And Depp at all times had more power than Heard. When they met, Heard was 22 and Depp was 46, and he was hiring her for a job. He was a household name. He was richer, more famous, more beloved than she ever was. If Heard is not a perfect victim, if at times she instigated violent encounters with Depp, that does not change the fact that Depp had power over Heard that she did not have over him. One of the lessons of Me Too was supposed to be that victims do not have to be perfect in order to deserve justice, and that people who have behaved badly still do not deserve to be abused. That lesson seems to have vanished here.

Depp’s victory is not an expansion of the gains of Me Too. It is a cynical appropriation of the rhetoric of Me Too, applied now to its end.

It’s worth asking a question: What is all this backlash lashing out at? The Me Too movement’s signature achievement is getting Harvey Weinstein convicted for some of his many alleged rapes, several years after he stopped being able to deliver Oscar winners on a reliable basis. Meanwhile, the Me Too movement itself was a response to the election of Donald Trump, which came even after Trump was heard on tape boasting about sexually assaulting multiple women.

It’s as though our judicial system has said, “While the most powerful office in the land was held by an alleged rapist, on the other hand, another less-powerful rapist was sent to jail, so all things considered it’s very important that women stop having control over their own bodies now just to be safe.”

Each wave of feminism is met by a backlash. But it’s heartbreaking that this one would come so definitively or so soon.
:mouf

benjipwns

« Reply #628 on: June 02, 2022, 09:32:51 PM »
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 12:51:14 AM by benjipwns »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #630 on: June 03, 2022, 03:35:15 AM »
Gamers rise up  8)
🤴

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #631 on: June 03, 2022, 04:40:49 AM »
If anyone has a line to Muskrat,tell him to change the blue tick or Twitter logo to include Johnny Depp's face for a week and watch these losers melt the fuck down even further :trumps
(ice)

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty

Boredfrom

« Reply #633 on: June 03, 2022, 12:51:05 PM »
“What we learned in the DeppVsHeard trial?

Don’t fucking lie in you defamation suit.

White powerful men outclass white powerful women.

james

« Reply #634 on: June 03, 2022, 01:29:19 PM »

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #635 on: June 03, 2022, 02:17:04 PM »
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

benjipwns

Tuckers Law

« Reply #639 on: June 04, 2022, 03:55:24 AM »
Taylor Lorenz is a good journalist, stop giving her PTSD Pissy:
https://twitter.com/legalbytesmedia/status/1532515157317935104
https://twitter.com/legalbytesmedia/status/1532558751605063680
https://twitter.com/ThatUmbrella/status/1532557245803896836

Bold strategy to publish misinformation about the very attorneys you are referencing in your article.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #640 on: June 04, 2022, 04:04:32 AM »
https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/1532783613741355010

The funny thing about this is that unless you're looking for it you wouldn't find it at all. I've not seen a single bit of rampant misogyny or anti-feminist backlash.
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #641 on: June 04, 2022, 05:55:55 AM »
True, we are merely advising Amber on her future career path as her only fans  ;)
🤴

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #642 on: June 04, 2022, 10:18:44 AM »

https://twitter.com/legalbytesmedia/status/1532996645297696768

I'm surprised how much of an amateur hour the Washington Post can be. Who signed off that the people were contacted? Who signed off editing the article without adding an editors note?

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #643 on: June 04, 2022, 10:26:23 AM »

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #644 on: June 04, 2022, 11:00:49 AM »

https://twitter.com/legalbytesmedia/status/1532996645297696768

I'm surprised how much of an amateur hour the Washington Post can be. Who signed off that the people were contacted? Who signed off editing the article without adding an editors note?

I doubt Bezos gives a shit about anything they print (as long as it doesn't lead to a huge fine/lawsuit) unless it is to do with protecting his interests :trumps
(ice)

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #646 on: June 04, 2022, 12:56:58 PM »
*police standing in front of the school while children get killed*

"Ugh, if only it wasn't for that damn vaccine mandate"

HaughtyFrank

benjipwns

« Reply #648 on: June 04, 2022, 05:20:19 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #649 on: June 05, 2022, 08:37:45 AM »
This was in the new books at the library but I couldn't bring myself to get it:

CWs for everyday cruelty, CSA, physical assault, rape, abortion, physical injuries, surgery, suicidal ideation, self-loathing, homophobia, misogyny, homelessness, fatphobia, drinking, drug use, and shame.
Common phrase in all the five star Goodreads reviews include "traumatic" and "heart wrenching." Hilarious! I can't wait for her to give me permission to laugh!

A past UN-endorsed manifesto I could never bring myself to get:

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #650 on: June 05, 2022, 08:56:00 AM »
Meanwhile, other critics often conflate stakeholder capitalism for being “woke,” Dimon said.  “I am a red-blooded, free market capitalist and I’m not woke,” he said.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/01/jamie-dimon-says-brace-yourself-for-an-economic-hurricane-caused-by-the-fed-and-ukraine-war.html

The woke movement is even too toxic for vulture capitalists and banksters now  :doge
🤴

benjipwns

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #652 on: June 05, 2022, 09:43:47 AM »

It's like all the real reporters got replaced by 20 - 30 something tumblr bloggers
🤴

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #653 on: June 05, 2022, 10:55:25 AM »
https://twitter.com/TaylorLorenz/status/1533205525629788160

Does she not see the irony in calling this misrepresentation and bad reporting (Not actually sure what about that tweet is supposed to be false)

By her own logic she's now starting to kick off a hate campaign against this dude.

And as so often, the whole thing only blew up because there's so much denial instead of an explanation of why this happened and a sorry. The only one who discredits her and the Washington post is.... her

benjipwns

« Reply #654 on: June 05, 2022, 11:02:34 AM »
I like how she screenshot the CNN dude's tweet instead of just quote tweeting it so he couldn't directly reply to her accusing him of participating in a far right disinfo and harassment campaign that's "dangerous" because something something Gamergate.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #655 on: June 05, 2022, 11:50:05 AM »
https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/1532788379175329795

There is a full blown civil war at the wapo  :lol

Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted the bartender pantomiming a bump of coke and laughing with their colleagues. “She didn’t even TRY to hide it,” they said. My brain immediately knew whom they were talking about: Amber Heard. And I knew this because my TikTok For You page has been overrun for the last month with trial coverage—specifically,
https://twitter.com/KalhanR/status/1533072244456448001

all these takes are :dead
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 11:54:38 AM by Nintex »
🤴

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #656 on: June 05, 2022, 11:51:40 AM »
And all of this is extra spicy because it was after all the WaPo who published Amber's OPed, and it was the WaPo who added the headline that made the defamation claims more credible. So I guess not a big surprise that then a WaPo reporter is trying to discredit youtubers who sided with Depp.

benjipwns

« Reply #657 on: June 05, 2022, 12:16:59 PM »
I like how quickly all these journalists (many of whom will let you know they refused to watch the trial) have latched onto a theory that TikTok and YouTube manipulated the jury into ruling in favor of Gamergate.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #658 on: June 05, 2022, 12:32:27 PM »
You know someone's a terrible reporter when even the dregs of CNN think they're an unethical hack :girlaff
(ice)

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #659 on: June 05, 2022, 03:10:09 PM »

It's like all the real reporters got replaced by 20 - 30 something tumblr bloggers
Those real reporters probably said some mean things to the intern once and just had to be let go.
Spud