Author Topic: The Culture War Thread  (Read 146812 times)

Uncle

• Have You Ever
Re: The Culture War Thread
« Reply #540 on: May 17, 2022, 07:15:14 PM »
It's funny you bring up Star Trek and in their latest review RLM points directly at the problem.
The stoic military leader Picard is reduced to reading a opera level script of 'muh feelings' about stars and hugging people.
So it's TNG?

https://www.youtubetrimmer.com/view/?v=UsaTdqhd6eg&start=1502&end=1605&loop=0
Uncle

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #541 on: May 17, 2022, 07:25:32 PM »
I will give you an example that I thought was ridiculous in a recent piece of media.
In the new Dr. Strange there's a Latin girl called "America" which is already a weird name for a girl in a different universe but whatever.
She has 2 mothers, they get 3 seconds of screen time as they are sucked into the void.

That's her entire backstory and that's all we see of the 2 mothers in the entire movie.
Was the fact that she has no father a token representation to score some diversity points or did it enhance the plot of the movie?
America Chavez is a pre-existing Marvel character and that's part of the character's backstory.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #542 on: May 17, 2022, 07:27:37 PM »
Non-binary people have been in Star Wars since the beginning with 3CPO.

I will give you an example that I thought was ridiculous in a recent piece of media.
In the new Dr. Strange there's a Latin girl called "America" which is already a weird name for a girl in a different universe but whatever.
She has 2 mothers, they get 3 seconds of screen time as they are sucked into the void.

That's her entire backstory and that's all we see of the 2 mothers in the entire movie.
Was the fact that she has no father a token representation to score some diversity points or did it enhance the plot of the movie?

But it also didn't distract from anything unless you are prone to having knee-jerk anti-SJW reactions to shit.  If your reaction to an attempt to normalize having two mothers and an easy way of having any kind of LGBT inclusion is rollies-eyes, Disney is just trying to make money, because you know they didn't make the entire movie for that purpose, then maybe it's your reaction that is the problem.   It's a Strange example to bring up.  Why is the default of having a father and mother non-intrustive but having two mothers an invasion on authenticity? 

benjipwns

« Reply #543 on: May 17, 2022, 07:44:44 PM »
Nintex Theory™: "Put America Chavez in your movie because she has two mommies and it will further the LGBTQIA2+ Agenda™."
Alternative theory: "America Chavez fits for this role and as a plus she checks diversity boxes X, Y and Z."

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #544 on: May 17, 2022, 07:56:24 PM »
Did the shit script and lack of planning cause the new Star Wars trilogy suck or was the shit script and lack of planning caused by a singular focus on cramming SJW garbage into it as a first priority?
What did you find to be the "singular focus on cramming SJW garbage" that was in the latest Star Wars trilogy?
I was talking about the production as a whole, not any specific parts of the films. Overall, there was a singular focus on cramming SJW shit in those films as a priority over any focus on actually creating a coherent story.

I don't care if my Jedi films feature Mary Sue characters, just don't assume that because you've created a "strong female character™" that you don't have to create a decent flick.
Spud

benjipwns

« Reply #545 on: May 17, 2022, 08:04:16 PM »
I know you can restate your original claim, I'm asking what you found to be the social studies warrior garbage/shit that was crammed into the films as a "singular focus" not disputing that the trilogy was a mess.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #546 on: May 17, 2022, 08:56:56 PM »
Do I really need to repeat stuff that has been said over and over and over on the internet for years now? I know you have read it all, so I will just repeat the headlines.

Captain Phasma - why was she even there if not to satisfy some sort of diversity roster?
Holdo - this has been covered endlessly, so why repeat it again? Men bad, men aggressive, woman knows better than bad men, purple hair.
Canto Bight - war is bad, war is caused by rich white men, horse-racing bad.
Poe Dameron - toxic masculinity incarnate
Luke Skywalker - intentionally emasculating him to drive the man is bad message.
First Order - for a series so intent on diversity, there was a startling lack of it in the bad guys.

Now, I know you are going to say that these are all perfectly normal themes to cover in a film, but you need to consider them in context of my earlier point that the production pushed these things AT THE COST of concentrating on a coherent story and characters.

What is most glaring is that many of these themes were covered in the original trilogy, but done so in a manner which was not to the detriment of the film.

Instead, the singular focus on creating SJW Star Wars created barriers to a decent, coherent story which was personified by needing to bring back Palpatine because the space Nazis needed a space Hitler/Trump.

The culture war being the film's raison d'etre is the problem here.
Spud

benjipwns

« Reply #547 on: May 17, 2022, 09:06:51 PM »
you need to consider them in context of my earlier point that the production pushed these things AT THE COST of concentrating on a coherent story and characters.
I don't need to consider that considering it's just your original claim restated yet again.

You're trying to substitute a claim that there was some nefarious agenda at work as "a singular focus" for the more plausible theory that a well known hack coming off two films in another franchise where he did all the same exact things and well known management issues resulted in trash. Rogue One had all the same diversity, the studio took over the movie to reshoot and recut who knows how much of it, and it was vastly more successful because it actually started with a singular focus.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 09:11:47 PM by benjipwns »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #548 on: May 17, 2022, 09:24:36 PM »
you need to consider them in context of my earlier point that the production pushed these things AT THE COST of concentrating on a coherent story and characters.
I don't need to consider that considering it's just your original claim restated yet again.

You're trying to substitute a claim that there was some nefarious agenda at work as "a singular focus" for the more plausible theory that a well known hack coming off two films in another franchise where he did all the same exact things and well known management issues resulted in trash. Rogue One had all the same diversity, the studio took over the movie to reshoot and recut who knows how much of it, and it was vastly more successful because it actually started with a plot.
Rogue One does not have the same level of forced SJW bullshit as the new trilogy. It has a diverse cast, but that in itself is not forced SJW bullshit on the level of the new trilogy films.

The bolded part is exactly my point though.

What exactly is your argument here aside from disagreeing with me for the sake of it?
Spud

benjipwns

« Reply #549 on: May 17, 2022, 09:27:20 PM »
I'm disputing your claim that there was a "singular focus" on social studies warrior garbage/shit/bullshit that was the cause for the bad work. Is your claim that JJ Abrams did this intentionally rather than just continuing to be bad at what he does? Or that Kathleen Kennedy ordered him to and threatened to fire him if he deviated rather than just being bad at what she does as she seems to have proven since? Or what? Like Nintex you seem to be drifting into positing a conspiracy theory that somehow also has no actors.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #550 on: May 17, 2022, 09:39:34 PM »
I'm disputing your claim that there was a "singular focus" on social studies warrior garbage/shit/bullshit that was the cause for the bad work. Is your claim that JJ Abrams did this intentionally rather than just continuing to be bad at what he does? Or that Kathleen Kennedy ordered him to and threatened to fire him if he deviated rather than just being bad at what she does as she seems to have proven since?
It can't be both?

Kathleen Kennedy went into it with those intentions AND JJ Abrams and Rhian Johnson leant into it in a big way resulting in a massive clusterfuck where no one actually questioned whether there was actually a good film being made sounds like the most plausible explanation to me and is the pretty much the definition of "a singular focus" (i.e. creative and business side with the same agenda).
Spud

benjipwns

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #552 on: May 18, 2022, 02:09:41 AM »
Who did Neil Patrick Harris offend?

Seems there's an effort to cancel him for an 11 year old photo

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1526371470439374848
Spud

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #553 on: May 18, 2022, 06:08:41 AM »
while plucking out one single statement from questions and examples that would have actually assisted in elaborating further...as you decry a lack of elaboration

I understand you don't respect the perspectives of people whose opinions run counter to yours, but if that's the case it's better not to dignify it with a response than to say "ur rong" as an own-goal
Look, you only showed that you know where I come from. An asspull is not a perspective. We're not in academia or debate club. And the stakes could not be any lower.

So, 'big topic, big think' and blinkered oversimplifications aside, this...

"fascism is on the rise globally, you can see this by conservatives being elected and doing everything they can to maintain their power underhandedly"

"yes but historically there's always an ebb and flow, sometimes democrats win elections and sometimes republicans do"
...is an approriate exchange. Zero effort in either direction.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #554 on: May 18, 2022, 06:37:09 AM »
is there any situation in which you would ever consider a game or piece of media "woke" to its own detriment?
If it handled its subject matter badly, as any other game.

whether that means focusing on diversity as a foundational principle rather than story or entertainment,
Are there examples of this?
Outside of Itch.io, preferably. People there know they're making niche games. Or 'games', as it were.

or if it means trying too hard and tripping over itself into accidentally-offensive territory,
The Medium comes to mind.

or becoming hostile to its own audience, etc.?
This is what I would want most to see an example of.
To be clear, every entry in a franchise can lose it fans for one reason or another. I'm thinking back-breaking stuff here.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #555 on: May 18, 2022, 10:42:04 AM »
whether that means focusing on diversity as a foundational principle rather than story or entertainment,
Are there examples of this?
Outside of Itch.io, preferably. People there know they're making niche games. Or 'games', as it were.

honestly I was wondering about others' opinions on this, I didn't have any particular examples in mind, just curious about the subject

the issue here is that you can't prove anything unless the creator specifically says so, and even in cases like that you often find people trying to argue that they were being facetious, joking or otherwise incorrect

the closest thing to a definitive answer on something like that would be a large consensus from its audience

for example it's like saying, the developers clearly chopped this finished game up to sell it piecemeal as DLC. how can anyone prove that unless it's admitted? yet surely there must be examples? do we reject all claims of this just because no dev is dumb enough to admit it?

or if it means trying too hard and tripping over itself into accidentally-offensive territory,
The Medium comes to mind.

I'm not familiar with The Medium

the examples I always remember along these lines are mass effect and baldur's gate siege of dragonspear's trans characters who immediately announce themselves as trans to the player and deadname themselves, which trans players claimed to be offended by, since the goal of being trans is to BE the other gender and not have anyone even think of you as trans

another on the opposite side from this might be Tell Me Why, which was criticized for "wrapping its LGBT characters in bubble wrap," refusing to subject them to any discomfort and presenting an unrealistically accepting world

and of course you can say, the steps toward being more inclusive are always going to be riddled with mistakes that are fixed over time, and trying is better than not trying, but this is just specifically on the subject of whether it's ever been damaging to the game in some way (both of the deadname examples were apologized-for and later patched)

or becoming hostile to its own audience, etc.?
This is what I would want most to see an example of.
To be clear, every entry in a franchise can lose it fans for one reason or another. I'm thinking back-breaking stuff here.

well I mean this in the sense that the creators tell people to fuck off if they don't like their diversity, and in response the audience shrugs and does fuck off

there have been a number of examples of this over the years, though as usual it would be hard to quantify

Battlefield V was one, and even though it sold well as any well-funded brand game does, it missed sales targets by quite a bit

"And we don't take any flak. We stand up for the cause, because I think those people who don't understand it, well, you have two choices: either accept it or don't buy the game. I'm fine with either or. It's just not ok."

indie games are more prone to these kinds of outbursts since they usually don't have a social media manager

Goodbye Volcano High which I mentioned earlier is hostile to any potential audience which offers less than 100% praise, but that game's not even out yet, and even so would not have much basis of comparison to say "yes it performed badly by this metric"

Caves of Qud was enthusiastically reviewed by problematic youtuber SsethTzeentach...he got 4 million new eyeballs on the game and the devs threw a huge fit and are paranoid to this day about anyone from his audience enjoying the game

(it's a game you slowly realize is a sexless "safe" transformation fetish game for the devs, and you're not supposed to agree with or want to roleplay as the fascist paladin faction in the game that wants to purge all the bizarre mutants)

« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 11:01:39 AM by Uncle »
Uncle

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #556 on: May 18, 2022, 03:10:28 PM »
New SCOOBY DOOBY DOOOOO just dropped

"We can draw a straight line from our hundreds of childhood hours spent watching Bugs outwit Elmer to the current slate of adult animated projects we are building here at HBO Max and we think fans will agree. We are proud to introduce this distinctive group of series from a wide range of diverse creators that will form a first stop destination for animation lovers everywhere."

"reimagine what Scooby-Doo would be like if Velma were of East Asian descent and lived in a different world. And so in that version, which is going on HBO Max first, there's no dog and there's no van
:titus

The mention of Elmer and Bugs is quite possibly a threat.
🤴

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #557 on: May 18, 2022, 03:13:25 PM »
(ice)

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #558 on: May 19, 2022, 12:56:52 AM »
FACT CHECK

The SJWs at Hannah Barbara went woke with forced diversity and it resulted in.... The best scooby doo series?

Looks like the entire Nintex theory has been destroyed
:O

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #559 on: May 19, 2022, 01:53:00 PM »
for example it's like saying, the developers clearly chopped this finished game up to sell it piecemeal as DLC. how can anyone prove that unless it's admitted? yet surely there must be examples? do we reject all claims of this just because no dev is dumb enough to admit it?
Unlock codes for on-disc content used to get headlines. I don't think anybody cares any more. And given where we're at with post-release monetization...

I'm not familiar with The Medium
About mid-game, you play through some key traumas of a pedophile. I don't remember if his proclivities are hinted at before you explore his past (I want to say yes), or if they pull the rug, so to speak. Either way, swing-and-a-miss, like the rest of the story.
(For an all-around B-game, I enjoyed it. But I would also not have played it if not for Game Pass. I don't think it will be remembered. Not unless its developer, Blooper, actually gets to make (or re-make) a Silent Hill game in the end.)

the examples I always remember along these lines are mass effect and baldur's gate siege of dragonspear's trans characters who immediately announce themselves as trans to the player and deadname themselves, which trans players claimed to be offended by, since the goal of being trans is to BE the other gender and not have anyone even think of you as trans
Mass Effect's turn on letting you screw every alien? I've always written that off as pandering to the 'I wonder what Tali's sweat tastes like'-faction from their forums.
Dragonspear's 'controversy' I've found to be completely overblown. One badly written NPC turning into some lynchpin issue is silly, when the entire premise (mid-quel to a decades old series made on the same tech) dooms it to obscurity. Made for good fodder on RPGCodex though, I bet.

and of course you can say, the steps toward being more inclusive are always going to be riddled with mistakes that are fixed over time, and trying is better than not trying, but this is just specifically on the subject of whether it's ever been damaging to the game in some way (both of the deadname examples were apologized-for and later patched)
On social media and in critical reception, for sure. I lean toward storm in a teacup, personally, but I have no way of knowing for sure.
And I do see this as growing pains, yes. Though that doesn't mean that video games writing will suddenly be elevated beyond pulp in most cases. They'll just be more or less "of their time", depending on how things go.

there have been a number of examples of this over the years, though as usual it would be hard to quantify
That's where I fall on most of these. Any blunder on a hot-button issue has the potential to turn someone off. And in general, the more story-heavy a game is, the more vulnerable they are to even having hot-button issues. But in the end, who the fuck knows? I have a hard time making definitive statements beyond that and am dubious when people do.

indie games are more prone to these kinds of outbursts since they usually don't have a social media manager

Goodbye Volcano High which I mentioned earlier is hostile to any potential audience which offers less than 100% praise, but that game's not even out yet, and even so would not have much basis of comparison to say "yes it performed badly by this metric"
And because the devs are more accessible and more invested, as any idividual 'owns' a greater portion of the whole, etc.

The GVH devs appear to be in panic mode, for sure. Maybe the Sony spotlight or morbid curiosity alone will be enough to put them in the black. My bet is nobody will be talking about it within a week of release.

Caves of Qud was enthusiastically reviewed by problematic youtuber SsethTzeentach...he got 4 million new eyeballs on the game and the devs threw a huge fit and are paranoid to this day about anyone from his audience enjoying the game

(it's a game you slowly realize is a sexless "safe" transformation fetish game for the devs, and you're not supposed to agree with or want to roleplay as the fascist paladin faction in the game that wants to purge all the bizarre mutants)
I'm reminded of Campo Santo asking PewDiePie to take down his Let's Play of Firewatch after he had his 'gamer moment'. On the one hand, I completely understand and it was their right to do, but on the other hand - does it really matter? I can only assume that they felt forced to after publicly repudiating him. The moral high ground alone is worth it, I guess. This seems to be a similar case.

Judging by the Steam reviews for Caves of Qud, this feud has not hurt them. The opposite, in fact. So either Seth's fans don't care, or the dev didn't need to try and dissociate themselves from him.

Tasty

« Reply #560 on: May 19, 2022, 01:57:39 PM »
https://twitter.com/MagsVisaggs/status/1520875292331548678

Honestly, thank God. I couldn't take it if the next Trump failed basic English as well.

An author would be a breath of fresh air.

Also I think JK is liberal otherwise, but who knows where she could be pushed to.

Tasty

« Reply #561 on: May 19, 2022, 01:58:29 PM »
FACT CHECK

The SJWs at Hannah Barbara went woke with forced diversity and it resulted in.... The best scooby doo series?

(Image removed from quote.)

Surely you don't mean Flim-Flam...

benjipwns

« Reply #562 on: May 19, 2022, 02:01:22 PM »
Also I think JK is liberal otherwise, but who knows where she could be pushed to.
She has donated millions to the Labour Party but there's a whole segment of Twitter convinced she's a long time fascist who has turned into a social conservative who wants to eliminate womens and gay rights.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #563 on: May 19, 2022, 02:07:42 PM »
benji can't even acknowledge trans right for long enough to purport that joanne is against them.

benjipwns

« Reply #564 on: May 19, 2022, 02:17:41 PM »
 :shh

benjipwns

james

« Reply #566 on: May 20, 2022, 12:13:02 AM »
FACT CHECK

Surely you don't mean Flim-Flam...

Flim flam is from Tibet.

Vincent Van Ghoul is an honorary latino

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #567 on: May 21, 2022, 12:43:16 PM »
🤴

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #569 on: May 21, 2022, 01:26:31 PM »
idgi :confused
(ice)

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #570 on: May 21, 2022, 02:09:00 PM »
idgi :confused

For the Chip context look above and this...

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #571 on: May 21, 2022, 05:43:19 PM »
Watched the Rescue Rangers thing, they even changed Zipper's voice to Dennis Haysbert (David Palmer from 24)  :lol
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #572 on: May 21, 2022, 06:40:18 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/brfootball/status/1526945261704060928

Made more complicated by the fact that PSG are owned by Qatar where being homosexual is illegal.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 06:53:18 PM by Potato »
Spud

benjipwns

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #574 on: May 23, 2022, 10:48:26 AM »
"They" made gadget breed with the insect :dead

https://twitter.com/CursedModernism/status/1528048412825886724

oddly you would expect a strong return for gadget in the movie since she was one of the original "girls can do anything" characters (which no one had a problem with)

instead they turned her into a conservative tradwife  ???
Uncle

benjipwns

« Reply #575 on: May 23, 2022, 02:07:11 PM »
Now it’s Democrats who—feeling a bit adrift, having lost control of the courts and seemingly unable to pass meaningful federal legislation—take solace in the idea that corporations are people, nothing more than the avatars of their employees and customers. That’s why Disney personnel were outraged when CEO Bob Chapek argued that the company shouldn’t weigh in on Florida’s Parental Rights in Education Bill, which proponents say is necessary to protect children from age-inappropriate sex education and opponents decry as the “Don’t Say Gay” bill that would force teachers back in the closet. In hindsight, Chapek was right that the Mouse House would be used as a cudgel in the culture war to the detriment of both the cause and the corporation. But that didn’t matter to Disney’s rank and file. What mattered was the company taking a stand and doing the right thing.

Meanwhile it’s Republicans—many of whom slammed efforts to silence Chick-fil-A—who were excited to see Florida Governor Ron DeSantis using the levers of government to stifle Disney’s criticism of the legislation. The right wing’s sense of cultural impotence and its frustration with the success of accountability-free “woke capital” to change the country’s cultural direction prompted a reactionary move. The party of “corporations are people” is furious that the people who make up those corporations would push their employer to act in their perceived interests.

The move on the left to embrace the “corporations are people, my friend” ethos isn’t limited to the Disney mess. It’s why the video-game maker Bungie feels the need to weigh in on Roe v. Wade and why a news outlet would call 20 video-game makers asking them to weigh in on Roe v. Wade and why PlayStation’s CEO would get dragged for spending more time talking about his cats than weighing in on Roe’s potential reversal.

All of this makes perfect sense if one understands it to be the inevitable result of workism, the Atlantic writer Derek Thompson’s term for the religious-like sentiment that accompanies so much of modern work life. Whereas religion was once the hub around which many of us oriented our lives, the office—what we do there, whom we do it with, and for whom we do it—has replaced the church as the center of our social life.

“The best-educated and highest-earning Americans, who can have whatever they want, have chosen the office for the same reason that devout Christians attend church on Sundays: It’s where they feel most themselves,” Thompson wrote. “The American conception of work has shifted from jobs to careers to callings—from necessity to status to meaning.”

Meanwhile, the right has rejected its corporate-friendly ethos equally speedily for reasons that don’t extend far beyond “If you’re not with us, you’re against us.” The motivation is less ideological than punitive, which you can see best in Republican Senator Josh Hawley’s bill “to strip Disney of special copyright protections.” Disney has no special copyright protections; the copyright law in question may exist partly as a result of Disney’s lobbying to maintain control over Mickey Mouse, but it covers all holders of copyright. That said, Hawley has phrased his nonsense bill—a repudiation of the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act, literally named for a Republican congressman—in this way to make clear whom he’s against rather than what he’s for.

In the face of such a revision, it’s a fool’s game to try to lay out new rules. We’re at a delicate moment in the country’s history, one in which rules and fairness matter less to voters or their champions—in boardrooms or Congress—than pure power and the will to use it. With luck, the courts will serve as a bulwark against government excess and the market will serve to correct businesses that step beyond their purview. My hope is that companies, of their own accord, will limit their lobbying to laws that actually affect their business while providing employees encouragement to pursue political goals on their own time, and that politicians will stop pursuing strictures on speech, corporate or otherwise, that they don’t like.

But for that to come to pass would require something like a de-escalation in the culture war. And I fear that Jonathan Haidt is right: Things are almost certainly going to get worse on that front before they get better.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #576 on: May 23, 2022, 10:29:13 PM »
Not sure if this qualifies as culture war, but Australian grocery store Woolworths has quietly changed the spelling of Chicken Kiev to Kyiv
https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/178510/woolworths-roast-chicken-stuffed-kyiv
Spud

james

« Reply #577 on: May 24, 2022, 11:33:59 AM »
Tesla shares continue to crater.

Looks like Musk is losing his culture war.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #578 on: May 24, 2022, 01:54:49 PM »
The big dawg Occam's thread doing the business :lawd
(ice)

benjipwns

benjipwns

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #581 on: May 24, 2022, 02:28:41 PM »

This culture war cannot be won or lost as both sides keep moving goal posts.

It will last forever.
🤴

james

« Reply #582 on: May 24, 2022, 03:00:56 PM »

This culture war cannot be won or lost as both sides keep moving goal posts.

It will last forever.

FACT check:

Margin Call Alert: Tesla Stock Falling Below $400 Would Force Elon Musk to Sell 13 Million Shares of EV Maker to Fund Twitter Deal - Bernstein's Sacconaghi
https://archive.ph/B5hw6#selection-2826.0-2826.3

Tesla Inc
623.92 USD −50.98 (7.55%)
today

:pika

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #583 on: May 24, 2022, 03:51:36 PM »
https://twitter.com/lizzywol/status/1528829895568130051
Holy shit. Mercedes fucking Lackey! These people are absolutely fucked in the head...and it's not as if they don't know who she is and what she has stood for in a long career writing science fiction.

Mercedes Lackey was an "ally" before all those idiots were even able to read.
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #585 on: May 26, 2022, 07:41:27 PM »
He's sane because he asks questions...mentally ill fucks I swear.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 10:38:22 AM by D3RANG3D »

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #586 on: May 26, 2022, 07:50:21 PM »
Molly JONG Fast is a basic white bitch too :juche
(ice)

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #587 on: May 27, 2022, 02:51:30 AM »
https://twitter.com/TheAtlantic/status/1529895991368986629

:trumps
Can't help but eat their own.

Impossible purity standards just lead to people saying, "You know what? Fuck you!"
Spud

Polident Hive

« Reply #588 on: May 27, 2022, 09:05:03 PM »
Earlier here I made a crack about Top Gun 2 editing Taiwan’s flag back in. As it happens, they actually did that lol. Tencent backed out of financing it. With questions of the film being too USA jingoistic to be approved, they made a choice.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/top-gun-maverick-loses-chinese-investor-due-to-pro-u-s-messaging-11653643803

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 02:04:21 PM by D3RANG3D »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #594 on: May 29, 2022, 06:10:32 AM »
Don't want to exclude new pagers

Woman+ has some upgrades:
- Bear companion for Banjo & Kazooie roleplaying
- 3 hands for multi-tasking (as well as built-in smartphone holder)
- micro-penis for easier urination

https://twitter.com/XRLlareggub/status/1530587526485921793
 :bowsette

Meanwhile on the other end of the uh, spectrum
https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1530569025390092288

« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 06:17:17 AM by Nintex »
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #597 on: May 29, 2022, 09:12:11 PM »

[close]

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #598 on: May 29, 2022, 09:43:20 PM »
Latinx stopped reading right there.  :maf

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #599 on: May 30, 2022, 12:23:52 AM »

[close]
In his defence, he did say that he'd never heard anyone in his electorate use the term, not that he'd never used the term.

His question was asking why it became the default term to use in government, which explains why he used it.
Spud