Author Topic: USA Politics Thread |OT| Cleaning up the town  (Read 211535 times)

Uncle

• Have You Ever
Re: USA Politics Thread |OT| Cleaning up the town
« Reply #1140 on: June 27, 2022, 04:24:09 PM »
My suggestion for a modernised version of the fairness doctrine that would apply to all news media outlets was just that, a suggestion.

I will say I have a little more respect for anyone willing to go out on a limb and offer suggestions for anything, because everyone likes to identify problems without offering solutions, because then you're expected to defend it and get put on the back foot

if there are problems with an idea it at least gives a basis for learning why such ideas might not work, or if they've already been partially tried

well I guess I don't know, is it better to be an idiot running your mouth with bad ideas when you don't know as much as you think you do about a topic, or to recognize your lack of understanding and just point out what you see as problems all day without offering anything constructive? (not about you, just in general)

it's not like anything considered here would be truly novel and have benji rushing to congress with a dot matrix printout of a forum post
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 04:30:46 PM by Uncle »
Uncle

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #1141 on: June 27, 2022, 04:34:54 PM »
or to recognize your lack of understanding and just point out what you see as problems all day without offering anything constructive?
Whenever I do have an absolutely perfect idea with zero downsides like expanding the House nobody gives a shit.

I think one can still reserve the right to reject ideas that have only ever failed even if "it might work this time though" especially on how they will fail on the exact terms they're being proposed to solve.

Himu

« Reply #1142 on: June 27, 2022, 05:02:23 PM »
I like the idea of expanding congress but it won't happen because the well off love political gridlock. With gridlock in effect nothing happens, nothing is solved, and the plebians and proletariat are concentrating on bullshit as the rich conduct their usurping of political power through money and influence.

In order to expand Congress first we much take money out of politics and establish co-interests along bipartisan lines such as outlawing elected officials from insider trading. But even that won't happen due to a threat to their power. Once again proving the fed as dog shit. Vote local and throw your finger at the fed. We can all start this process by no longer licking politician taint, whether it's the Trumpers or the Squad pussy lickers. Stop kissing their ass and hold them to a higher standard and force them to contort to the will of The People.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 05:09:45 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #1143 on: June 27, 2022, 05:10:40 PM »
I don't think expanding the House would change gridlock at all. I doubt more new members would be more resistant to leadership than the existing ones are.

The actual real problem for it is logistics, the current buildings aren't designed for a properly sized House. But that kinda seems like something that is their problem, not mine, since they write the $7 trillion budget and all.

Himu

« Reply #1144 on: June 27, 2022, 05:27:28 PM »
Seriously though one thing I think we as a nation should do is have a sit down and find things we have in common and work on solving those issues. It's wonderful that both AOC and Ted Cruz agree that no elected official should have a hand in insider trading. It's things like that which give me hope.

I don't think expanding the House would change gridlock at all. I doubt more new members would be more resistant to leadership than the existing ones are.

The actual real problem for it is logistics, the current buildings aren't designed for a properly sized House. But that kinda seems like something that is their problem, not mine, since they write the $7 trillion budget and all.

:lol

You bastard.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 05:38:30 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1145 on: June 27, 2022, 06:25:25 PM »

May Allah correct Ilhan and other Muslim "leaders". Ameen. I wonder what the Somali Minneapolis community thinks about Ilhan. Hopefully she will be primaried by a GOP Muslimah. Inshaa Allah.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1146 on: June 27, 2022, 06:54:59 PM »
Himu will be taking another break for four months this time.

What's the over /under this time?

I have Tuesday at 11:42am

Close!
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #1148 on: June 27, 2022, 07:33:46 PM »

Close!

Bork you cant delete the content before we all get to experience it
:O

benjipwns

« Reply #1149 on: June 27, 2022, 07:41:18 PM »
fascist bork banning Himu just to deny james his deserving likes

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #1151 on: June 27, 2022, 08:04:00 PM »
Bork deleted posts that would’ve led to the arrest of Hilary Clinton  :shh
Margs

therealdeal

« Reply #1152 on: June 27, 2022, 08:10:49 PM »
The wildest part to me is I fully expect Himu back in 4 months on the dot, again

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1153 on: June 27, 2022, 08:14:07 PM »
The wildest part to me is I fully expect Himu back in 4 months on the dot, again
Himu RN:

:rage

Bork RN:
 :idont
Spud

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1154 on: June 27, 2022, 08:24:06 PM »

Close!

Bork you cant delete the content before we all get to experience it

Nothing spicy.  I told him to stop shitting up other threads with politics and he just wanted to argue.  Nothing was deleted.  It was moved and archived.
ど助平

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #1155 on: June 28, 2022, 01:25:54 AM »

Theyve already set a google calendar reminder.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 02:47:13 AM by who is ted danson? »
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #1156 on: June 28, 2022, 05:29:10 AM »
*Insane cackling*

"This isn't even my final form!"

*Comes back even crazier in 4 months*

I can't wait.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #1157 on: June 28, 2022, 11:02:12 AM »
poor himu

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #1158 on: June 28, 2022, 11:17:42 AM »
is the plan with himu to just keep banning until his next personality shift? :doge
(ice)

james

« Reply #1159 on: June 28, 2022, 12:26:31 PM »
is the plan with himu to just keep banning until his next personality shift? :doge

Waiting until he comes out as white identifying

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

james

« Reply #1161 on: June 28, 2022, 01:20:25 PM »
Hillary vs Bernie 2024, lets do it

BIONIC

« Reply #1162 on: June 28, 2022, 02:28:26 PM »
https://twitter.com/ChrisCillizza/status/1541790937646612480

:info

Those sure would’ve been helpful right about now:

Bork deleted posts that would’ve led to the arrest of Hilary Clinton  :shh

::)  :kermit
Margs

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1163 on: June 28, 2022, 02:56:12 PM »
Holy fuck, MAGA King indeed
https://twitter.com/axios/status/1541845832693174272

Trump acting like Gordon Ramsay inside the white house has all of them crying lmao.

https://twitter.com/January6thCmte/status/1541852235843485697

Trump denies it

« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 03:10:52 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Tuckers Law

« Reply #1164 on: June 28, 2022, 03:16:27 PM »
https://twitter.com/ChrisCillizza/status/1541790937646612480

Jesus Christ.

Sometimes it feels like the Democratic Party has an addiction to catastrophic failure.  The only word of Hillary should be that she’s enjoying a quiet life outside of politics and tending to her grandchildren.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1165 on: June 28, 2022, 03:24:57 PM »
Holy fuck, MAGA King indeed
https://twitter.com/axios/status/1541845832693174272

(Image removed from quote.)

Trump acting like Gordon Ramsay inside the white house has all of them crying lmao.

https://twitter.com/January6thCmte/status/1541852235843485697

Trump denies it

"Her story is completely made up fake news. I didn't throw food...it was cake. Dumb bitch, I don't even know who she is anyway."
Spud

james

« Reply #1166 on: June 28, 2022, 03:27:46 PM »
Fake news, Trump would never waste food. Straight to his enormous gut

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1167 on: June 28, 2022, 03:28:56 PM »
I find it hard to believe that 200lbs depressed Trump could lunge from the backseat of the Presidential limo, punch through what I assume is bullet proof glass, shove aside a well trained secret service agent, grab the steering wheel and yell: "I'M THE FUCKING PRESIDENT".

I like how in Trump's imagination he does not only grab the wheel to course correct but actually steers it towards the Capitol Building itself like an action movie.

but if this is the best they got in terms of him being the mastermind behind a violent overthrow of the government (and his plan was foiled because they refused to bring him to the Capitol) I hate to break the news that Donnie has wiggled himself out of a jam, again.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 03:40:49 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #1168 on: June 28, 2022, 03:48:33 PM »
That happened in the SUV not the beast.

Keep up.

james

« Reply #1169 on: June 28, 2022, 03:54:52 PM »
I find it hard to believe that 200lbs depressed Trump could lunge from the backseat of the Presidential limo, punch through what I assume is bullet proof glass, shove aside a well trained secret service agent, grab the steering wheel and yell: "I'M THE FUCKING PRESIDENT".

FACT CHECK

We have the photos

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1170 on: June 28, 2022, 05:41:21 PM »
I'm probably stating the obvious here, but the democrats keep basing these huge "surprise motherfucker" moments on the most flimsy of evidence and not necessarily stable or believable witnesses. It's almost like the people running the party are so incompetent they would nominate Hilary Clinton...again.
Spud

BIONIC

Margs

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1172 on: June 28, 2022, 06:46:14 PM »
I'm probably stating the obvious here, but the democrats keep basing these huge "surprise motherfucker" moments on the most flimsy of evidence and not necessarily stable or believable witnesses. It's almost like the people running the party are so incompetent they would nominate Hilary Clinton...again.
Not to mention this is very different from what was reported during and shortly after that day.

Before these hearings they pretty much all settled on the story that Trump was too distracted by the events unfolding on television and the staff was shellshocked and didn't know what to do.
From there the waters get muddy. There's a version that claims Mike Pence took charge of the situation once he arrived back at the White House and a version where Ivanka did by calling Trump directly herself.

Anyway I agree with Jimmy Dore who has said that the real focus of the hearing should be why the Capitol was so poorly protected that day. Especially compared to earlier protests.
There's only 2 possible explanations. Someone wanted this to escalate or it was sabotage. And neither of those things could've been organized by just Trump himself.
The cops there must've known they were left holding the bag. The year prior there had been all sorts of protests in the DC area along with a big police presence.
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1173 on: June 28, 2022, 09:15:59 PM »
Maybe they defunded the police?

:cody
Spud

benjipwns

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #1176 on: June 29, 2022, 08:31:52 AM »
So January 6th went from Trump pussied out and left his supporters to be set up to Trump wanted to storm the capital, but the deep state stopped him. Awesome job democrats!

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1177 on: June 29, 2022, 10:07:42 AM »
Not to mention this is very different from what was reported during and shortly after that day.

It's almost like hearings are designed to bring new evidence to light and reporting is based on available evidence at the time.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #1178 on: June 29, 2022, 10:46:59 AM »
I almost just wasted my time benjicare posting in a reply to nintex.

lol.  oops.

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #1179 on: June 29, 2022, 11:09:44 AM »
That happened in the SUV not the beast.

Keep up.

Actually she said that it happened in the beast

"I looked at Tony, and he had said, 'did you f-ing hear what happened in the Beast?'" Hutchinson recalled, using the nickname for the presidential vehicle. "I said, 'no Tony, I just got back, what happened?' Tony proceeded to tell me that when the president got in the Beast, he was under the impression that the off-the-record movement to the Capitol was still possible, and likely to happen, but that Bobby had more information."

"So once the president had gotten into the vehicle with Bobby, he thought that they were going up to the Capitol, and when Bobby had relayed to him, 'we’re not, you don’t have the assets to do it, it’s not secure, we’re going back to the West Wing,' the president had a very strong, very angry response to that."

Hutchinson said Ornato described Trump "as being irate."

Trump "said something to the effect of, 'I’m the f-ing president, take me up to the Capitol now,'" Hutchinson testified. "To which Bobby responded, 'sir, we have to go back to the West Wing.' The president reached up towards the front of the vehicle to grab at the steering wheel. Mr. Engel grabbed his arm and said 'sir, you need to take your hand off the steering wheel, we’re going back to the West Wing. We’re not going to the Capitol.'"

Hutchinson added that Trump "then used his free hand to lunge towards Bobby Engel, and when Mr. Ornato had recounted this story to me, he had motioned toward his" collarbone.

Rep. Liz Cheney, R-Wyo., then asked Hutchinson if Engel disagreed with any part of the story Ornato relayed. Hutchinson said he did not.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/cassidy-hutchinson-trump-lunged-secret-195238155.html

Though I'm not sure if there's actually a partition between driver and passengers. I assume not (or it's at least retractable) because that would be just a too obvious hole in the story.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 11:14:20 AM by HaughtyFrank »

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #1180 on: June 29, 2022, 11:39:59 AM »
Apparently they're both called beasts. heh.

But they showed the SUV that he got into on video after the rally.

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #1181 on: June 29, 2022, 11:52:36 AM »
Also sounds like they're both often called limousines... yeah okay, that's confusing  :lol

james

« Reply #1182 on: June 29, 2022, 01:02:16 PM »
So January 6th went from Trump pussied out and left his supporters to be set up to Trump wanted to storm the capital, but the deep state stopped him. Awesome job democrats!

I had the same thought this morning.

THE JAMES TAKE.

The witness is an Ultra MAGA.

They know that the Proud Boys and Oath Keppers arent happy. They did what they were told, and in response, are getting arrested and blacklisted from society. All while their orange king did nothing to lift a finger. That has been the media narrative for a year.

So this story is being planted to say that yes Trump wanted to fight. He was ready to storm the capitol with them and their guns. He went so far as to try and hijack a vehicle. But the DEEP STATE stood in his way and stopped him.

We're about to learn that while COWARD Pence was ready to invoke the 25th, some other Ultra MAGA hero (Stephen Miller?) managed to stop it at the very last second.

When Trump announces his 2024 run on July 4th, under a blanket of a million red white and blue fireworkers, he will say that yes, he chocked a secret service agent, and yes, he commandeered the beast, but he was overwhelmed by deep state agents (under direct orders from Pence/Hillary) who disabled the vehicle and restrained him. But if you vote for him again, it will be different this time.

Stand back and stand by folks.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
also why did they name the presidential limo after my penis?
[close]

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1184 on: June 29, 2022, 02:11:00 PM »
 :woody

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1185 on: June 29, 2022, 02:26:55 PM »
I hear he flipped over the beast with a roundhouse kick.

As per usual when the President went into Beastmode.
🤴

james

« Reply #1186 on: June 29, 2022, 02:38:17 PM »
Trump about to declare that he orders custom McDonalds 5 pounder burgers because they make for  better projectiles

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #1189 on: June 30, 2022, 05:26:17 AM »
imagine caring so much about american politics to post disinformation memes

Occam

« Reply #1190 on: June 30, 2022, 11:49:57 AM »
To get to what I assume Occam is referring to when he says I avoided questions there is only one solution in a democracy: advocate to win elections. Advocate to win elections. Advocate to win elections.

Yeah, about that...
"The Supreme Court said Thursday that it will consider what would be a radical change in the way federal elections are conducted, giving state legislatures sole authority to set the rules for contests even if their actions violated state constitutions and resulted in extreme partisan gerrymandering for congressional seats."
(WaPo)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/06/30/supreme-court-federal-elections-state-legislatures/
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 11:55:27 AM by Occam »

Occam

« Reply #1191 on: June 30, 2022, 11:54:28 AM »
In other news, Biden is finally going against the filibuster in order to be able to codify a right to abortion, however
"President Biden’s call Thursday to make an exception to filibuster rules to pass legislation protecting abortions is likely to be a tough sell with a pair of Senate Democrats: Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona and Joe Manchin III of West Virginia."

Occam

« Reply #1192 on: June 30, 2022, 12:02:25 PM »
And the best news of the day: Supreme Court limits EPA’s power to combat climate change

Because who needs clean air. It's totally overrated, just ask the good people living in New Delhi.

This could be you, soon.

And climate change will surely go away if only we ignore it hard enough!

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1193 on: June 30, 2022, 12:11:42 PM »
Another horrifying decision. 

james

« Reply #1194 on: June 30, 2022, 12:12:07 PM »
In other news, Biden is finally going against the filibuster in order to be able to codify a right to abortion, however
"President Biden’s call Thursday to make an exception to filibuster rules to pass legislation protecting abortions is likely to be a tough sell with a pair of Senate Democrats: Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona and Joe Manchin III of West Virginia."

All he has to do is remove two Republicans.

A delicious coffee sweetened with polonium.

That's it. That's all he has to do.

Moderates keep acting like there are no common sense solutions

benjipwns

« Reply #1195 on: June 30, 2022, 01:00:09 PM »
To get to what I assume Occam is referring to when he says I avoided questions there is only one solution in a democracy: advocate to win elections. Advocate to win elections. Advocate to win elections.

Yeah, about that...
"The Supreme Court said Thursday that it will consider what would be a radical change in the way federal elections are conducted, giving state legislatures sole authority to set the rules for contests even if their actions violated state constitutions and resulted in extreme partisan gerrymandering for congressional seats."
(WaPo)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/06/30/supreme-court-federal-elections-state-legislatures/
Hey, you know what the solution is if you want to draw maps to your partisan advantage rather than your opponents?

And the best news of the day: Supreme Court limits EPA’s power to combat climate change

Because who needs clean air. It's totally overrated, just ask the good people living in New Delhi.
This could be you, soon.

And climate change will surely go away if only we ignore it hard enough!
Congress actually passed the Clean Air Acts though.

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #1196 on: June 30, 2022, 01:58:26 PM »

All he has to do is remove two Republicans.

A delicious coffee sweetened with polonium.

That's it. That's all he has to do.

Moderates keep acting like there are no common sense solutions

Better option:
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1197 on: June 30, 2022, 02:02:16 PM »

🤴

Occam

« Reply #1198 on: June 30, 2022, 02:05:39 PM »
Hey, you know what the solution is if you want to draw maps to your partisan advantage rather than your opponents?

A system that disallows partisan map drawing right from the start?
After the clerical fascists have made it virtually impossible to vote them out it may be too late.
Congress actually passed the Clean Air Acts though.

And that matters how?

benjipwns

« Reply #1199 on: June 30, 2022, 02:13:29 PM »
A system that disallows partisan map drawing right from the start?
After the clerical fascists have made it virtually impossible to vote them out it may be too late.
What's the basis for your theory that the Republican Party is constitutionally entitled to a certain percentage of Congressional seats?

And that matters how?
What's the basis for your theory that the executive branch can claim powers that neither the Constitution nor Congress delegates to it?