Author Topic: USA Politics Thread |OT| Cleaning up the town  (Read 212124 times)

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
Re: USA Politics Thread |OT| Cleaning up the town
« Reply #1200 on: June 30, 2022, 02:21:59 PM »
I think we can all agree that the people who put trump in the white house actually have the real power to govern, that 4rth branch so to speak, that lives in the shadows.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #1201 on: June 30, 2022, 02:25:12 PM »
I think we can all agree that the people who put trump in the white house actually have the real power to govern, that 4rth branch so to speak, that lives in the shadows.
Actually my reading of the 3rd, 12th and 18th Amendments is that Trump is President for Life. :trumps

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #1202 on: June 30, 2022, 02:35:35 PM »
Actually my reading of the 3rd, 12th and 18th Amendments is that Trump is President for Life. :trumps

I've always said that presidents are presidents for life, unless exo communicated and people laugh at me.

that's the only reason the SS kept trump off the steering wheel, because they were actually answering to Obama.

Occam

« Reply #1203 on: June 30, 2022, 02:47:31 PM »
We keep going in circles. The Republican party is in the final stages of dismantling democracy, a process that arguably started with Scalia's deliberate injustice in 2000 (Bush v. Gore).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 04:23:47 PM by Occam »

Sman

« Reply #1204 on: June 30, 2022, 03:28:57 PM »
And the best news of the day: Supreme Court limits EPA’s power to combat climate change

Because who needs clean air. It's totally overrated, just ask the good people living in New Delhi.
(Image removed from quote.)
This could be you, soon.

And climate change will surely go away if only we ignore it hard enough!

Come on, you got to admit, bad air makes artsy photos.

:checkit

Boredfrom

« Reply #1205 on: June 30, 2022, 06:37:27 PM »
So January 6th went from Trump pussied out and left his supporters to be set up to Trump wanted to storm the capital, but the deep state stopped him. Awesome job democrats!

I mean, he still pussied out in the end.  :trumps

Occam

« Reply #1206 on: July 01, 2022, 02:07:09 AM »
You know what's funny? The constitution doesn't actually grant the Supreme Court the power of judicial review. The court gave that power to itself in 1803.

benjipwns

« Reply #1207 on: July 01, 2022, 03:22:13 AM »
That is a commonly repeated myth, but courts were understood to have the power of judicial review before the Constitution. The delegates at the Constitutional Convention were clear on this, as is Federalist 78. Marbury was not the first time the Court had judged the constitutionality of a law either.

You don't even have to learn the history to see this theory doesn't make any sense, who would enforce Article VI, Section II if not the Court?

Occam

« Reply #1208 on: July 01, 2022, 03:52:01 AM »
So it was indeed not codified?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marbury_v._Madison
That article says the Supreme Court gave itself the power of judicial review (because the Constitution doesn't https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_Three_of_the_United_States_Constitution ) and determined that the Constitution was the law of the land, while making itself the highest authority on interpreting the Constitution. Which totally seems like a power the judicial branch should be allowed to bestow upon itself (I am kidding).

And of course the system of lawmakers electing the SC judges FOR LIFE (and requiring a 2/3 majority to impeach a judge) was created before political parties ever existed. Meaning, the system was never intended for use by partisan politicians.
Add to this the power of the court to overturn previous decisions by simple majority (=there is no such thing as precedent), consisting of only nine judges, without term limits and accountability.
The only surprising thing is that it took 200 years for these incredible flaws and the virtual omnipotence of the Supreme Court to become so obvious.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 04:41:58 AM by Occam »

benjipwns

« Reply #1209 on: July 01, 2022, 10:28:16 AM »
That line is obviously wrong, as I said. The Constitution, as the framers said and everyone (read the Anti-Federalists for example) acknowledged, grants the power of judicial review, if you don't want to listen to them you can read Article III ("the judicial power") and Article VI and it's pretty obvious. If the Court gave itself the power of judicial review in Marbury then how were they judging the constitutionality of laws in prior cases? How were state courts judging the constitutionality of laws basically forever despite the same grant of "the judicial power"? You're taking a position that's previously only been the domain of conservatives wanting to stop the courts from protecting gay rights, abortion rights, free speech and freedom from religion.

I find it strange that you're losing your mind and coming out against the rule of law so vehemently over something where the Court did the very thing you're now complaining about as beyond the pale and a threat to democracy. What do you think Roe was? The Court used judicial review to strike down (most) abortion bans as unconstitutional which imposed a minority view on the entire country.

Regarding some of your other claims I already outlined in the post Potato asked for how the Court has always been partisan and people have complained about it from the start including during the era of the framers when they actually tried to impeach a Justice over his views and eliminated one of the seats so that an opposition President could not fill it. So you can snark about it all you want but it doesn't make sense and sounds like you're arguing from ignorance to anyone who is cognizant of history.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Propagandhim

« Reply #1211 on: July 01, 2022, 11:41:09 AM »

:info

Global banks contending with inflation, and corporate and retail borrowers the world over juggle higher loan costs rippling throughout the world...why, they should have just blamed it all on Biden who is purposely doing it to get cheaper loan payoffs!   Record losses for France's Societe Generale, Austria's Raiffeisen, Credit Agricole and Italy's UniCredit who have scrapped plans to buy back cheaply-valued stock in view of their capital slippage all should look to the one limiting factor:  Joe Biden. Tucker is a genius.  Reminder:  This distinguished mentally-challenged fellow makes around $100,000 per day to spout absolute garbage to people who don't know any better.

benjipwns

« Reply #1212 on: July 01, 2022, 12:10:25 PM »

:dobbs

benjipwns

« Reply #1213 on: July 01, 2022, 12:19:58 PM »
Nintex finally defeated:
Put a Fork in Donald Trump—the Ex-President Is Done

David Rothkopf
Published Jul. 01, 2022 4:37AM ET

Mark it on your calendars. This was the week the meteoric political career of Donald Trump did what meteors often do and collided with planet Earth, leaving a large, ugly mark on the landscape.

The fact that Trump may soon announce his candidacy for the presidency in the days ahead is itself more of a sign of his political collapse than it is of any strength he may have.

Her testimony hit Washington and the U.S. political scene, also as large meteors can do, with the force of several atomic bombs. Even dyed-in-the-wool members of Team Trump began to abandon ship. They called it “damning,” “difficult to dismiss,” and “insane shit.” The Wall Street Journal ran an op-ed saying Trump should not run in 2024. The right-leaning Washington Examiner ran an editorial headlined “Trump proven unfit for power again.” Trump’s former attorney Ty Cobb said, “If this isn’t an insurrection I don’t know what is.” Former Trump Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney wrote, “Things could get very dark for the former president” after Hutchinson’s testimony.

Speaking at one of the sacred sites of the Republican right, the Ronald Reagan Library in California, Jan. 6 committee vice chair Liz Cheney (R-WY) got enthusiastic support from the crowd during a searing speech following this week’s hearing when she said, “It’s undeniable—the Republican Party cannot be both loyal to Donald Trump and loyal to the Constitution.”

it is fair to conclude that as bad as this week was for Trump, when the dust settles, he and we will find matters have only gotten worse for him, that, as of this week, he has once and for all plummeted to Earth and that finally and forever more, all the former president’s Fox friends and all of his men will not be able to put the brief shimmering political career of Donald Trump back together again.

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1215 on: July 01, 2022, 04:39:47 PM »
Nintex finally defeated:
Put a Fork in Donald Trump—the Ex-President Is Done

David Rothkopf
Published Jul. 01, 2022 4:37AM ET

Mark it on your calendars. This was the week the meteoric political career of Donald Trump did what meteors often do and collided with planet Earth, leaving a large, ugly mark on the landscape.

The fact that Trump may soon announce his candidacy for the presidency in the days ahead is itself more of a sign of his political collapse than it is of any strength he may have.

Her testimony hit Washington and the U.S. political scene, also as large meteors can do, with the force of several atomic bombs. Even dyed-in-the-wool members of Team Trump began to abandon ship. They called it “damning,” “difficult to dismiss,” and “insane shit.” The Wall Street Journal ran an op-ed saying Trump should not run in 2024. The right-leaning Washington Examiner ran an editorial headlined “Trump proven unfit for power again.” Trump’s former attorney Ty Cobb said, “If this isn’t an insurrection I don’t know what is.” Former Trump Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney wrote, “Things could get very dark for the former president” after Hutchinson’s testimony.

Speaking at one of the sacred sites of the Republican right, the Ronald Reagan Library in California, Jan. 6 committee vice chair Liz Cheney (R-WY) got enthusiastic support from the crowd during a searing speech following this week’s hearing when she said, “It’s undeniable—the Republican Party cannot be both loyal to Donald Trump and loyal to the Constitution.”

it is fair to conclude that as bad as this week was for Trump, when the dust settles, he and we will find matters have only gotten worse for him, that, as of this week, he has once and for all plummeted to Earth and that finally and forever more, all the former president’s Fox friends and all of his men will not be able to put the brief shimmering political career of Donald Trump back together again.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1542871930398720001

The national survey shows Trump leading Biden 44 percent to 39 percent in a head-to-head match-up

https://twitter.com/IAPolls2022/status/1542886026821214209
:trumps
🤴

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1217 on: July 01, 2022, 05:12:00 PM »

$15 x  6427 = $96.405

$110.000.000 - $96.405 = $109.903.595

That still looks like a big beautiful gap to me :trumps
🤴

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1219 on: July 01, 2022, 09:35:00 PM »
She is symple jack this is not news. :lol

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #1220 on: July 01, 2022, 10:20:16 PM »
Looks like she whiffed on emphasizing "work together" while looking up in repetition.

benjipwns

benjipwns

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1223 on: July 02, 2022, 01:12:48 AM »
https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/1542987572116422656
Maybe she should consider what her religion says about marijuana and other intoxicants...
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1224 on: July 02, 2022, 03:12:52 AM »
Alex Jones exclusively reports Trump is announcing his 2024 candidacy on July 4th

https://twitter.com/patriottakes/status/1543009934312460291
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1225 on: July 02, 2022, 04:52:09 AM »
https://twitter.com/endajodowd/status/1542915789845561346

"I've not been on stage with this many women since I had a baby shower"

"I'm not sure how that's going to go over Scott but we'll just let it hang"

"Mama Mia"

"Your campaign is a psy-op"

"Why can't we treat all human life like we would alien life when we discover it"

"The only drag I've ever dressed in is a suite and workers clothes I've never aspired to be Elvis Presley"

:dead
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1226 on: July 02, 2022, 05:38:00 AM »
Alex Jones exclusively reports Trump is announcing his 2024 candidacy on July 4th

From a response by very reliable Roger Stone that Trump could announce a run as soon as July (no date mentioned) and Alex working himself into how awesome it would be if it was July 4th.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1228 on: July 02, 2022, 07:36:04 AM »

From a response by very reliable Roger Stone that Trump could announce a run as soon as July (no date mentioned) and Alex working himself into how awesome it would be if it was July 4th.
The President's men seem to want to prevent DeSantis from mounting a challenge against Trump after Joe Rogan said he would make a great President.
Not to mention Liz Cheney stealing the spotlight during the January 6th hearings and being presented as some sort of 'savior' of the Republican party.

https://twitter.com/TPostMillennial/status/1541889036666564608

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1543057060501372928

Anyway I don't think Trump is going to announce that he's running on July 4th.
He's probably going to announce that he's going to announce that he's going to run.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 07:43:40 AM by Nintex »
🤴

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 07:13:39 PM by Nintex »
🤴

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #1231 on: July 03, 2022, 02:56:42 AM »
It isn't over until wolf Blitzer sings
:O

benjipwns

« Reply #1232 on: July 03, 2022, 06:36:03 AM »

Joshua Henry, a special agent for DHS, confirmed the letter’s authenticity and said it was delivered at 11:30 a.m. on Thursday. Robert Sperling, director of communication for the Federal Protective Service, also confirmed to The Dallas Morning News that the letter posted on Twitter was delivered.

Henry said Walker sharing the letter on Twitter could bring more trouble.

“She’s kind of taking it as a joke,” Henry said. “She’s not remorseful about these statements, so that’ll be presented to a United States Attorney and they’ll make a decision on that.”

When a reporter asked the Garland Police Department if their officers accompanied a federal agent to Walker’s house to deliver the letter, spokesman Pedro Barineau wrote in an email “since DHS confirmed they went out there, they will have all the details and will need to provide the information. We can’t speak about another agencies [sic] investigation.”

On Friday night, the Federal Protective Service sent an email with an official statement to The News.

“DHS’s Federal Protective Service coordinates with law enforcement partners across the country to protect federal facilities, and those who work in and visit those buildings, from violence,” the statement read.

“FPS may issue warnings as a result of threats made to federal facilities and federal employees, in line with standard law enforcement practices. Americans’ freedom of speech and right to peacefully protest are fundamental Constitutional rights. Those rights do not extend to violence and other illegal activity.”
:american :american :american :american

The cited, uh, "statue" is an interesting choice too:
1)Whoever—
(A)assaults, kidnaps, or murders, or attempts or conspires to kidnap or murder, or threatens to assault, kidnap or murder a member of the immediate family of a United States official, a United States judge, a Federal law enforcement officer, or an official whose killing would be a crime under section 1114 of this title; or

(B)threatens to assault, kidnap, or murder, a United States official, a United States judge, a Federal law enforcement officer, or an official whose killing would be a crime under such section,
with intent to impede, intimidate, or interfere with such official, judge, or law enforcement officer while engaged in the performance of official duties, or with intent to retaliate against such official, judge, or law enforcement officer on account of the performance of official duties, shall be punished as provided in subsection (b).

(2)Whoever assaults, kidnaps, or murders, or attempts or conspires to kidnap or murder, or threatens to assault, kidnap, or murder, any person who formerly served as a person designated in paragraph (1), or a member of the immediate family of any person who formerly served as a person designated in paragraph (1), with intent to retaliate against such person on account of the performance of official duties during the term of service of such person, shall be punished as provided in subsection (b).

She deleted the tweets so Agent Henry's apparent goal of abusing the law to moderate Twitter by illegally threatening people was accomplished.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1234 on: July 03, 2022, 07:33:46 AM »

Skullfuckers Anonymous

« Reply #1235 on: July 04, 2022, 12:18:11 PM »
The president is back posting misinformation on twitter! America is back baby!

https://mobile.twitter.com/POTUS/status/1543590384273461248

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1236 on: July 04, 2022, 12:57:05 PM »

:trumps
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1237 on: July 04, 2022, 07:21:10 PM »

:wut
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #1238 on: July 04, 2022, 07:24:54 PM »
Why did hot dogs go up almost twice as much as the bread? We need hearings on BIG HOT DOG.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #1239 on: July 04, 2022, 07:43:39 PM »
Obama bought them all for one of his parties :whew
(ice)

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1240 on: July 04, 2022, 10:31:55 PM »

:wut
Trying to explain percentages to that dense custard in human form would be a waste of time.
Spud

benjipwns

benjipwns

« Reply #1242 on: July 04, 2022, 11:52:21 PM »
https://twitter.com/jonivy/status/1544150621812506624

:hmm

spoiler (click to show/hide)
wait, this guys profile says he's a government attorney

About
I'm an attorney with a passion for process improvement, communication and effective organization. I like to take complex ideas and turn them into plain-English concepts. Nothing gives me more joy than showing someone how to use the tools available to them in order to accomplish the goals they've set out for themselves.

Counsel
California Governor's Office of Emergency Services
Dec 2021 - Present8 months

Sacramento, California, United States
:lol
[close]

edit: good thread, lots of top quality replies:
https://twitter.com/largest_son/status/1544132189415100417

There's a dude who wrote like a twenty tweet reply where he says he's been voting for the Democrats since 1988 and "all I got" was Roe overturned. :lol
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 12:12:01 AM by benjipwns »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1243 on: July 05, 2022, 12:24:37 PM »
Drone Strike Joe Manchin in Minecraft? :thinking
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1244 on: July 05, 2022, 02:45:06 PM »
https://twitter.com/IsaacDovere/status/1544357513449164800

Just resign if you aren't up to the job, clowns.
🤴

james

« Reply #1245 on: July 05, 2022, 03:16:05 PM »
He did it.

The bastard did it.

Uncle Joe is the king

Oil tumbles as much as 10%, breaks below $100 as recession fears mount

Cheap gas summer is here  :rejoice

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1246 on: July 05, 2022, 03:31:30 PM »
https://www.khou.com/article/news/special-reports/uvalde-school-shooting/texas-spending-millions-after-uvalde-massacre/285-087e1b9c-4a1c-4f77-a662-fa0f500b0c0a

After Uvalde shooting, Texas leaders will spend more than $100 million on school safety, mental health
Almost half the money is going toward bullet-resistant shields for school police officers, a move that Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick called on fellow state leaders to support

Skullfuckers Anonymous

« Reply #1247 on: July 05, 2022, 05:51:04 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1544334339571417088

Next mass shooting I’m in, I will shout VOTE at the top of my lungs to shield myself from the bullets.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1248 on: July 05, 2022, 10:53:43 PM »
https://www.khou.com/article/news/special-reports/uvalde-school-shooting/texas-spending-millions-after-uvalde-massacre/285-087e1b9c-4a1c-4f77-a662-fa0f500b0c0a

After Uvalde shooting, Texas leaders will spend more than $100 million on school safety, mental health
Almost half the money is going toward bullet-resistant shields for school police officers, a move that Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick called on fellow state leaders to support

So money is being spent on protecting the police officers, who were reluctant to actually engage in a manner which required protection?

james

« Reply #1249 on: July 06, 2022, 10:31:56 AM »
Oil in free-fall the economy is saved

:rejoice

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #1251 on: July 06, 2022, 02:24:27 PM »
Why is the main page of c-span about european politics with a sidenote about the shootings?

benjipwns

« Reply #1252 on: July 06, 2022, 02:38:50 PM »
Why is the main page of c-span about european politics with a sidenote about the shootings?
To be fair, I think C-SPAN's site is more focused on the events they cover rather than the news in general. Unless somebody is giving a speech about shootings or there's a hearing or something like that it's more likely it will just be the events they record.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #1253 on: July 06, 2022, 02:43:33 PM »
To be fair, I think C-SPAN's site is more focused on the events they cover rather than the news in general. Unless somebody is giving a speech about shootings or there's a hearing or something like that it's more likely it will just be the events they record.

---

They just read my post and put biden in the pic frame.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1254 on: July 06, 2022, 02:54:42 PM »
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/07/05/politics/democrats-frustrated-biden-lack-of-urgency-supreme-court-setbacks/index.html

wait why is this part remotely important

A White House press aide assigned to the issue was walking to get coffee when the alert hit.

press aides are meant to be sitting stock still, watching and waiting to be ready to act at any moment, and should not be getting coffee? also which aide? why does this matter?
Uncle

james

« Reply #1255 on: July 06, 2022, 03:03:02 PM »
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/07/05/politics/democrats-frustrated-biden-lack-of-urgency-supreme-court-setbacks/index.html

wait why is this part remotely important

A White House press aide assigned to the issue was walking to get coffee when the alert hit.

press aides are meant to be sitting stock still, watching and waiting to be ready to act at any moment, and should not be getting coffee? also which aide? why does this matter?

Why are our tax dollars being used to purchase over-priced cafe coffee?

Get a fucking Mr Coffee from Walmart.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1256 on: July 06, 2022, 03:09:07 PM »
Inside the White House, criticism and proposals from fellow Democrats are often seen as the latest version of, essentially, presidential fan fiction -- the kind of visceral, political statement that sounds great from the sidelines but doesn't actually make sense.

For example, in the wake of the Supreme Court's abortion reversal, New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren and New York Gov. Kathy Hochul have called for the White House to open up federal lands to abortion clinics, a move that lawyers inside and some outside the government believe would backfire by leaving abortion providers and women open to potential prosecution as soon as they stepped off the federal lands.

:obama
Uncle

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #1257 on: July 06, 2022, 03:10:46 PM »
Imagine if they just followed the other fan fiction of putting tings to votes.

benjipwns

« Reply #1258 on: July 06, 2022, 03:11:21 PM »
Why are our tax dollars being used to purchase over-priced cafe coffee?

Get a fucking Mr Coffee from Walmart.
I think they might mean the person was out of the room doing that not miles away at a cafe?

There's at least one coffee machine in the White House right off the Briefing Room, you can see it in a bunch of Jen Psaki getting hyped backstage images.

Though that fat cat Biden probably got rid of both the Diet Coke button and the machine to supply the True President with Diet Coke at any moment.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1259 on: July 06, 2022, 03:14:38 PM »
This king should aim higher, Vice President at least.
https://twitter.com/Jerone4Congress/status/1544700948164972546
🤴