Author Topic: The Official Capeshit thread  (Read 12851 times)

Uncle

• Have You Ever
Re: The Official Capeshit thread
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2022, 05:46:42 PM »
galactus feels like the only significant existential threat left for a second thanos-style wrap-up as everyone teams up to fight the big bad
Uncle

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2022, 05:57:55 PM »
One thing for Doom is that he's going to be mask on 97% or 100% of the time. It's been done before (Darth Vader) and I think playing full CG characters with little to no face likeness to the comedian is more acceptable and accepted now. But you need an actor with great physicality, great voice, everyone being OK with no face and being recognizable still. Or go the Star Wars of having separate body and voice acting (and stifling the stuntman) but I wouldn't think it'd fly today.

was this stated for sure somewhere? MCU has found silly excuses to go mask off constantly in order to show the actors' faces even when it made absolutely no sense

also you made me think of the 1990 captain america where red skull "wore a human mask" so he didn't have to look like a red skull for most of the movie  :lol
Uncle

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2022, 06:03:34 PM »
Not confirmed but I can't see them not finally doing it justice to that. They had Thanos, Raccoon Rocket and Groot already. Who knows though. It's usually a tough sale for either the actor, the people paying big checks or the audience.

Among the names mentioned in fan discussions I've seen Bardem and Shannon who definitely are actors who have a very intense presence. I don't know it works with a mask though.
ὕβρις

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2022, 06:39:27 PM »
What's interesting is that that there don't seem to be any phase 4 sequel movies incoming, despite Doctor Strange and Eternals ending on a pretty clear sequel stinger.

I guess that'll he either have to wait til phase six or they pick that up in other movies

Rahxephon91

« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2022, 08:16:13 PM »
I don't think the Eternals are getting a sequel.

I liked the movie though.

Bebpo

« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2022, 08:18:37 PM »

In the trademarks filed with all these new movies, there’s one called Celestials which seems like Eternals sequel. Feige also mentioned Eros and Pip’s cosmic adventure being an active part of the MCU. It’s happening.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2022, 09:31:52 PM »
galactus feels like the only significant existential threat left for a second thanos-style wrap-up as everyone teams up to fight the big bad

Kang is the next big-bad.  I'm interested in seeing if Avengers Secret Wars is going to be based on the 2015 storyline.  Dr. Doom could be introduced in the FF4 movie to set it up.  I still think that's the idea with all this multiverse stuff, with them basing on Secret Wars 2015 and combining all this shit together at the end to create a new earth setting where they can bring in the former Fox movie characters and re-introduce existing characters with new actors.  It's the kind of overly-complex shit that sounds very much like a comic book movie.

In the trademarks filed with all these new movies, there’s one called Celestials which seems like Eternals sequel. Feige also mentioned Eros and Pip’s cosmic adventure being an active part of the MCU. It’s happening.

Pip was part of the Guardians Of The Galaxy team that Adam Warlock led, and that character should show up at some point- it's possible that we get a new Guardians team in a fourth movie or that ends up being the Eternals sequel.  But the less they do anything like Eternals, the better. 
:donot
ど助平

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2022, 10:10:13 PM »
I think the Galactus telegraphing is obvious but also I don't spend my life obsessing about finding "clues" to Kevin Feige's masterplan so what do I know.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2022, 10:30:48 PM »
Kang is the next big-bad.

ah ok

well, considering he is played by a black actor and isn't given alien skin: much like how Wanda was not allowed to have been defeated by a man and essentially had to defeat herself, Kang will have to be defeated by a black character or a woman or both

it won't be Iron Heart because that's too much of a retread of Endgame (Iron X beating the big bad) so my money is on the new Black Panther

I think Disney's first choices for the killing blow would've been Kamala or Carol but that is dependent on them being runaway successes like Iron RDJ and it seems like most people hate Carol and are meh on Kamala, which they might be hoping to turn around with The Marvels, but I don't see it working

it'll be a Wakandan character

:science
Uncle

Polident Hive

« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2022, 10:33:09 PM »
Darkseid will be the big threat in five years after they buy DC.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2022, 11:01:48 PM »
well, considering he is played by a black actor and isn't given alien skin: much like how Wanda was not allowed to have been defeated by a man

Such a dumb culture war take.  Wanda defeated herself because it allowed for an act of redemption which was necessary because she was always set up as a hero.  For as much shit superhero movies take as being childish, completely obvious screenwriting things seem to fly over seemingly adult heads. 

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2022, 11:20:06 PM »
several years later:

"no you don't understand, kang had to come to see the error of his ways and suicide his own plans at shuri's prompting, because the writers set it up that way to have the greatest emotional payoff, the themes are strongest this way"
Uncle

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2022, 11:48:09 PM »
Yes if a black character kills Kang it can only be because the purple-haired people at Disney are the ones really in charge and all Twitterish concerns trump storytelling.  Also, Kang hasn't already just last year seen the error of his ways and committed suicide but that must have been because the writers couldn't come up with a possible way for Eugene Cordero to do him in. 

benjipwns

« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2022, 11:55:42 PM »
Kang always escapes back into the timestream anyway doomed to be defeated again.

:miyamoto

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2022, 11:58:58 PM »
it is possible that setups will go so poorly they'll resort to a Riann -> JJ move and beg someone to fix it all by any means necessary, only then will you get egregious fan service that trumps culture concerns (to as much a detriment to the end product)
Uncle

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2022, 12:08:33 AM »
You don't need to resort to future hypotheticals here.  Like do you believe that the only reason why it was T'Challa and not Ross that killed Killmonger was because it had to be a black actor or because it made sense for the story?  That's always how this culture war talk starts here: hypotheticals about what social justice warriors think or are secretly plotting to the detriment of artistic vision.  Hell this post was just 15 into the thread

There's some simmering capeshit / culture war bullshit about the xmen in the MCU thats inevitably going to boil over whatever gets announced, between the "CAST ANYTHING BUT A WHITE MAN" :gamergate crowd for magneto / xavier, and the "THATS RIGHT, DENY A JEWISH HOLOCAUSE SURVIVOR" :social2 crowd

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2022, 12:12:25 AM »
You don't need to resort to future hypotheticals here.

I mean you don't need to post here either but I'm not going to try to chase you out, it's a discussion thread, when they announce new phases it's natural for anyone to make predictions based on how they see the industry and developments from past movies, precedent etc

:idont
Uncle

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2022, 12:23:16 AM »
I'm sorry for giving push-back on your ideas.  Your opinion is valid and a discussion thread is not really the place to criticize ideas.  No one should feel like they are being chased out just because they get told their ideas are silly.  Besides we are just talking about Marvel movies in here, kids stuff, and not pushing the same dumb culture war narratives that we push in every other thread.     

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2022, 12:43:36 AM »
well no, it's not "just" talking about marvel movies, recall that everything is political, inextricably linked with systems of oppression that have been going on for centuries; I'm sorry you don't want to hear about it anymore, but some people don't have the luxury of ignoring it

when movies were coming out during/just after covid prime time, movie threads were full of discussions about how the films might be compromised in various ways due to vaccine/mask/proximity concerns, and it was relevant to the discussion

if we saw something like, I don't know, a multi-year global car shortage, it might be reasonable to predict that films would blow up fewer vehicles for practical reasons, and promote public transportation for cultural ones

if the supreme court launched an attack on bodily autonomy, it might be reasonable to predict that films might push back on that in whatever small ways are available to them narratively

and if there was a pattern of films doing things like getting all the ladies together for a "girl power" scene even if it makes little sense for mantis to be in the middle of a battlefield, it might be reductive to call predictions based on such scenes "dumb culture war narratives" when it's just a reflection of reality

this doesn't even need to be taken as good or bad, it's simply observing what literally happens in context
Uncle

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2022, 01:34:42 AM »
it is possible that setups will go so poorly they'll resort to a Riann -> JJ move and beg someone to fix it all by any means necessary, only then will you get egregious fan service that trumps culture concerns (to as much a detriment to the end product)
Somehow Thanos has returned...
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2022, 03:28:23 AM »
Cap: "Get in the car kid!"

Spider-Man: "Ooh shit, we're out of gas"

Cap: "Damn there goes this years defense budget"

Captain America: New World Order
🤴

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2022, 05:16:09 AM »
You don't need to resort to future hypotheticals here.  Like do you believe that the only reason why it was T'Challa and not Ross that killed Killmonger was because it had to be a black actor or because it made sense for the story?  That's always how this culture war talk starts here: hypotheticals about what social justice warriors think or are secretly plotting to the detriment of artistic vision.  Hell this post was just 15 into the thread

There's some simmering capeshit / culture war bullshit about the xmen in the MCU thats inevitably going to boil over whatever gets announced, between the "CAST ANYTHING BUT A WHITE MAN" :gamergate crowd for magneto / xavier, and the "THATS RIGHT, DENY A JEWISH HOLOCAUSE SURVIVOR" :social2 crowd

thats not a hypothetical.
that was literally some peoples first take that the xmen are coming to the mcu, and the resulting reaction takes.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2022, 08:35:18 AM »
Cap: "Get in the car kid!"

Spider-Man: "Ooh shit, we're out of gas"

Cap: "Damn there goes this years defense budget"

Captain America: New World Order

Uncle

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2022, 08:25:16 AM »
https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1552043458570752001

Some people seem to be upset by this but I figure it makes kind of sense since they're already changing the cultural background of the character

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2022, 11:24:31 AM »
That they didn't cast an authentic atlantean? :confused

Bebpo

« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2022, 02:17:12 PM »
https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1552043458570752001

Some people seem to be upset by this but I figure it makes kind of sense since they're already changing the cultural background of the character

As long as Talocan is a long lost city under the sea for centuries it's fine, but still a weird change. Is there a problem with the Atlantis mythos or something? I'm fine with Atlantis looking like Aztec motif too.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2022, 02:22:06 PM »
https://twitter.com/mattmurdoxbf/status/1552043866303262721

It seems to be a reference to Aztec mythology while Atlantis I guess is usually more tied to Greece since it's Plato who wrote about it. So I guess instead of making Atlantis more Aztec they looked for something in the Aztec mythos they could turn into an underwater city.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2022, 02:28:31 PM »
Is there a problem with the Atlantis mythos or something?

It's just to separate it from Aquaman who is more famous.  No reason to try to compete with Jason Momoa.   

Bebpo

« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2022, 02:30:52 PM »

It's just to separate it from Aquaman who is more famous.  No reason to try to compete with Jason Momoa.

Seems like a real dumb reason since MCU is way bigger than DCU,

but Aztec design looks cooler than Greek design so whatever it's fine.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2022, 02:36:18 PM »
BP wasn't brave enough to do scalping

Maybe Namor will do it.

Polident Hive

« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2022, 07:23:19 PM »
Guy who directed Shang chi is doing avengers 5. Avengers 6 has another yet unannounced director. They should snag Justin Lin.

While I didn’t like what I saw of that movie, I’m putting that on the duds leading it. The Tony Leung parts were good. His other stuff has been fine. He directed most of Tokyo Vice recently. Most of his movies aside from Shang chi have Brie Larson as a lead, so to that end it plays with miss marvel being the main character. Her and Doctor Strange are the main ones, yeah?

However long they’re doing multiverse shit, maybe this one has Hugh jackman’s Wolverine and Ben affleck’s daredevil step out of a portal. Please clap.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2022, 07:30:21 PM »
They will hire a big and exciting name.
There will be 'creative differences' along the way.
Taika will reshoot
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2022, 08:10:53 PM »
Kang seems lame so far, gonna need to be convinced.

Also the name reminds me of

Polident Hive

« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2022, 08:27:01 PM »
From the outside it seems like their big “failures” (mega successful yet divisive) were when they let an exciting director work. Just learned last week that Dr Strange 2 is considered poor among fans. It, eternals, and Thor 4 they seem to consider bottom 5. Haven’t seen the other two but Strange 2 was the most entertaining I’ve found one of these in some time. Thinking they want somebody safe. A company man like the antman guy and gunn.

On the other side, maybe The Flash is getting scrapped? Seeing headlines about Affleck replacing Keaton in Aquaman 2 scenes. My understanding is The Flash was the movie bridging all the events and bringing Keaton in.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2022, 09:12:46 PM »

Seems like a real dumb reason since MCU is way bigger than DCU,

but Aztec design looks cooler than Greek design so whatever it's fine.
Aquaman made like a billion dollars and shot its star into major stardom.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2022, 08:33:59 AM »
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2022, 01:40:49 PM »
I feel like that shouldn't have been spoiled since it'll probably just be a short cameo. Oh well.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2022, 02:02:07 PM »
Bats cant go underwater you absolute imbeciles
:O

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2022, 04:47:30 PM »
why does aquaman look so wide?

benjipwns

« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2022, 05:00:24 PM »
Bats cant go underwater you absolute imbeciles
Then explain how COVID got to New Zealand. I'll wait.

Polident Hive

« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2022, 08:03:14 PM »
Tomb Raider is close enough to cape shit. They’re rebooting the movies (again) away from the Alicia Vikander one. Games, too. Gotta wondering if they bring back big dick Lara shooting dinosaurs with two pistols in hot pants. Jolie was perfect for that style, quality of movies notwithstanding. Or just bring her back and do the Tron Legacy thing.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2022, 08:09:31 PM »
I thought Vikander was a good Lara Croft and I loved the trilogy of Square Enix games.

Excited to see where Embracer takes the series but I'm worried that they're going to spend a fair bit less than Square Enix used to do.
That doesn't have to be a bad thing for the games but my expectations for the movie are low.
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2022, 08:17:22 PM »
I'll take knock-off Indy in any form I can get it. 

Tasty

« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2022, 08:36:03 PM »
I'll take knock-off Indy in any form I can get it. 

And that's the problem with knock-off Indys...

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2022, 08:35:00 AM »
I thought there was an actual indy 5 in pre-production  ???

(which I assume will be a soft reboot with him passing the hat on, but probably not to shia lebouf)

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #105 on: July 30, 2022, 10:23:39 AM »
Tomb Raider is close enough to cape shit. They’re rebooting the movies (again) away from the Alicia Vikander one. Games, too. Gotta wondering if they bring back big dick Lara shooting dinosaurs with two pistols in hot pants. Jolie was perfect for that style, quality of movies notwithstanding. Or just bring her back and do the Tron Legacy thing.

Considering how popular it has become for actors to reprise old roles it wouldn't surprise me if Jolie would do another one.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2022, 12:49:50 PM »
Looking at her recent roles, I think she could still easily do Tomb Raider movies but I'm not sure if she'd be interested and if they could afford her.

🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #107 on: August 03, 2022, 06:48:11 PM »
Zhao confirmed for Eternals 2/Celestials movie.

Good. I'm one of the few people that liked Eternals. It was no Shang-Chi, but it was interesting and something different for Marvel. Just make a better sequel and everyone will like it this time.

Glad they aren't course correcting. Celestials are cool. Give me more of that stuff in MCU.

Tasty

« Reply #108 on: August 03, 2022, 06:50:08 PM »
Zhao confirmed

Polident Hive

« Reply #109 on: August 03, 2022, 07:20:06 PM »
Only ever watched a clip of the ending and it’s actually just the Mortal Kombat movie ending lol. Not nearly as cool without Orbital and the MK theme.

benjipwns

« Reply #110 on: August 04, 2022, 01:18:55 AM »
Glad they aren't course correcting. Celestials are cool. Give me more of that stuff in MCU.
I think this was going to happen anyway, Marvel also seems much more willing to take the lumps with a bad movie or show (by one standard or another) that's setting up something they still think will work down the road. Hulk, Thor 2, Iron Man 3, none of that stopped them throwing those characters into everything. Feige probably really wants to get to FF and seemingly Galactus, so fuck it. Eternals 2 or whatever it becomes probably won't get a $500 million budget but I also kinda expect it to be better if it shifts out of trying to be a tent pole alongside the Avengers and X-Men.

Compare to WB freaking the fuck out on Snyder because BvS bombed critically and was profitable but didn't meet Avengers targets and then taking this out on Geoff Johns and everyone else. Then doing this again and again to each subsequent "plan" they started on. Joker probably saved Matt Reeves. Making a shit load of money on films that were too far along saved Patty Jenkins and James Wan.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #111 on: August 04, 2022, 01:57:02 AM »
I think this was going to happen anyway, Marvel also seems much more willing to take the lumps with a bad movie or show (by one standard or another) that's setting up something they still think will work down the road. Hulk, Thor 2, Iron Man 3, none of that stopped them throwing those characters into everything. Feige probably really wants to get to FF and seemingly Galactus, so fuck it. Eternals 2 or whatever it becomes probably won't get a $500 million budget but I also kinda expect it to be better if it shifts out of trying to be a tent pole alongside the Avengers and X-Men.

Compare to WB freaking the fuck out on Snyder because BvS bombed critically and was profitable but didn't meet Avengers targets and then taking this out on Geoff Johns and everyone else. Then doing this again and again to each subsequent "plan" they started on. Joker probably saved Matt Reeves. Making a shit load of money on films that were too far along saved Patty Jenkins and James Wan.
DCU films are a textbook case study in a business not having any sort of strategic plan aside from "do what the competition is doing".
Spud

Polident Hive

« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2022, 02:55:06 AM »
Reading into the mess, it started before BVS by cutting up the theatrical release and selling it as a Batman movie. Afterwards, Johns tried to lord over things. Suicide Squad rewrites were all him. Wonder Woman’s third act was changed and he did the rewrites. JL they were sometimes shooting scenes twice, with his lines and the original writer’s, pre-joss. Flash’s director and Affleck dipped when it started happening to their scripts.

Wonder Woman’s all around success kinda fucked things up. Harder to dump everything and move on. And Johns took credit for fixing it and went hands on for the sequel. Aquaman was an anomaly. Coasted in the spectacle. Credit to James Wan. Every four sentences, he wrote in an explosion. Wan is the only guy who hasn’t complained about WB or Johns.

They somehow found an outcome where nobody is happy or making money. Sounds like everybody since 2013 has been fired. From the transitions, acquisitions, or scandals where the CEO was offering actresses roles for sex. Typical Hollywood.

Disney Marvel, they haven’t had a financial failure. Between Dr Strange 2 and Thor 4, both trashed online, it’s $1.6 billion. Not counting all the other streaming shows. Even if there’s a flop, seven other things will balance it out. By the time we’re all old and decaying, about ten years, they can bring back the old characters for the next generation. An endless cycle. As sun engulfs the Earth, our descendants’ language will be entirely metaphorical references to the MCU. Tony, when his fingers snapped. Steve and Peter at the German Airport.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #113 on: August 04, 2022, 10:10:28 AM »
Maybe DC should stop making everything so dark and gritty.

Marvel movies make money because you can take your whole family to see them. Quality doesnt matter, theyre ""fun"" and family friendly. You can also rewatch them and not kill yourself. The whole reason that theyre paint by numbers ie because the imbeciles in middle america like that, in the same way that they like meatloaf and corn with no seasoning.

Who the fuck wants to watch emo Batman more than once or miss out on sex for a week because you forced your wife to come see Joker with you. At least after watching Thor, your wife will happily fuck you as she closes her eyes and thinks of Chris Hemsworth
:O

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2022, 10:48:53 AM »
I'd say they're already pivoting into more fun campy stuff with Shazam 2 and Aquaman 2 while keeping the more serious stuff for their prestige movies like Batman and Joker.

Though when it comes to Black Adam I can't quite figure out which direction they want to lean. When you listen to the Rocks voice over from the trailers it sounds gritty and edgy as hell but when you look at the costumes it seems campy as fuck.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #115 on: August 04, 2022, 12:15:09 PM »
Black Adam was originally just Evil Captain Marvel, but then they retconned it into him being an old Captain Marvel who got 'corrupted' in modern times by being attached to a bad human guy so is basically anti-hero edgelord shazam since his 'human form' got killed off.

:expert

Given they already have light hearted Shazam, I don't think they'll go light hearted with Black Adam, they'll just keep him as more srs bsns shazam (and Hollywood don't really have any qualms about their good guy characters killing bad guys), so I'd expect the tone to basically be punisher-superman without the angst

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #116 on: August 04, 2022, 06:11:24 PM »
The Batman was pretty damn good, as was the Snyder Cut. I don't get this doom and gloom with WB/DC and they seem to get caught up with it themselves too.

Black Adam though, in pretty much every movie he's in The Rock, plays The Rock. He has one act, which is The Rock.
If that works for Black Adam it will be a fun The Rock movie, if it doesn't work for the character the movie will suck.
🤴

Polident Hive

« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2022, 08:32:36 PM »
Rock just needs to play it like he played Hobbs in Fast 5 and 6. Somewhere along the way that character just became The Rock on autopilot.

Already expecting Kevin Hart to show up as Mr Mxyzptlk at some point.

Zhao confirmed for Eternals 2/Celestials movie.

Good. I'm one of the few people that liked Eternals. It was no Shang-Chi, but it was interesting and something different for Marvel. Just make a better sequel and everyone will like it this time.

What’s the difference between Eternals and Celestials? Because calling the sequel Celestials sounds like a good way to distance it from the first. Only now noticed they’re doing that with the miss marvel movie.

HaughtyFrank

chronovore

• relapsed dev