Author Topic: Wank Dad 2: Electric Wankaloo  (Read 614623 times)

agrajag

Re: Wank Dad 2: Electric Wankaloo
« Reply #1800 on: July 27, 2019, 10:15:08 PM »
 ::)

long version:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
the left version means several orders of magnitude more relevant than the right? Like, you just compared a guy with a far reaching sphere of influence, big money behind him, heading an organization that routinely radicalizes those very college students you speak of to... the college students? You're also disingenuously mischaracterizing his fan base, many of whom watch the show for entertainment and to make fun of Sam's NY Jewish dialect. Like, I haven't seen a single example of anyone "gushing over him owning Charlie Kirk" other than the actual video, which was months ago. That's what you want to be hung up on as your indictment of the Majority Report? Lastly, Seder himself has no such delusions of grandeur that you attribute to him or his fans, I can't find the exact video but he explained that there is a niche for the left to engage and push back on right wing reactionaries and mid level henchmen like Kirk, Rubin and Crowder. He's not trying to be Chomsky.
[close]

agrajag

« Reply #1801 on: July 27, 2019, 10:28:19 PM »
it's a daily editorial news show, it's not that deep is exactly the point.

Leadbelly

« Reply #1802 on: July 28, 2019, 07:37:18 PM »

agrajag

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊

Leadbelly

« Reply #1806 on: July 29, 2019, 02:08:40 PM »
People in the UK will know who Katie Hopkins is, and may not like her. I think some people in the US might know her. However, like her or loathe her, I was genuinely surprised at how good a speaker she is. I think most people in the room were.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 02:13:44 PM by Leadbelly »

Oblivion

« Reply #1807 on: July 29, 2019, 06:30:44 PM »

Oblivion

« Reply #1808 on: July 29, 2019, 06:31:46 PM »
People in the UK will know who Katie Hopkins is, and may not like her. I think some people in the US might know her. However, like her or loathe her, I was genuinely surprised at how good a speaker she is. I think most people in the room were.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576?lang=en

Leadbelly

« Reply #1809 on: July 29, 2019, 07:33:34 PM »

So I am not misunderstanding... The point your making is, because of Katie Hopkins views, you should not in any circumstance say anything potentially positive about that person even if it is true? Just basically say she's shit at everything I guess?

Here's the thing: If a member of ISIL specifically debated against no platforming and they just happened to be a good orator and made a decent argument, against no-platforming[/u][/i], why would I not acknowledge that? You can separate the two things and be perfectly consistent.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 07:53:24 PM by Leadbelly »

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #1810 on: July 29, 2019, 08:23:18 PM »
why not just use hitler as the example we're all thinking it

agrajag

« Reply #1811 on: July 29, 2019, 08:33:56 PM »
look, I hate the Nazis as much as the next guy, but you gotta hand it to him, he they an impeccable sense of fashion

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1812 on: July 29, 2019, 09:00:17 PM »
©@©™

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1813 on: July 29, 2019, 09:00:33 PM »
A stopped clock is right once or twice a day depending on whether or not it's 12 or 24 hour but people don't actively seek out stopped clocks to tell the time and it's not worth mentioning when they are telling the right time (tedious metaphors excluded).

Oblivion

« Reply #1814 on: July 29, 2019, 09:16:08 PM »

So I am not misunderstanding... The point your making is, because of Katie Hopkins views, you should not in any circumstance say anything potentially positive about that person even if it is true? Just basically say she's shit at everything I guess?

Here's the thing: If a member of ISIL specifically debated against no platforming and they just happened to be a good orator and made a decent argument, against no-platforming[/u][/i], why would I not acknowledge that? You can separate the two things and be perfectly consistent.

Because even for a rightwinger, Katie Hopkins is a special kind of horrible.  And as Kara said, even if she may be right on this one issue, why are you actively seeking out broken clocks to form your political opinions?

Leadbelly

« Reply #1815 on: July 29, 2019, 10:22:08 PM »
A stopped clock is right once or twice a day depending on whether or not it's 12 or 24 hour but people don't actively seek out stopped clocks to tell the time and it's not worth mentioning when they are telling the right time (tedious metaphors excluded).

The analogy doesn't work. Unless the stopped clock is a Patek Phillippe in which you can see the intricacies of its workings. Perhaps a little bit too much, but that seems more fitting. I watch the Oxford Union debates quite often and found it genuinely surprising she is a good orator. It is a  about her craft hence the 'intricacies of its workings' metaphor. ;)

Because even for a rightwinger, Katie Hopkins is a special kind of horrible.  And as Kara said, even if she may be right on this one issue, why are you actively seeking out broken clocks to form your political opinions?

And kind of already mentioned, but I seek out Oxford Union debates, not always, but it is something I return to from time to time. Katie Hopkins isn't actually a go-to commentator who I hang on every word. I watched the video, heard her argument, and was genuinely surprised by it. Obviously I probably wouldn't be surprised if I actively seeked her out. I would know this already :p
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 10:48:25 PM by Leadbelly »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

agrajag

« Reply #1817 on: July 30, 2019, 01:45:11 AM »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1818 on: July 30, 2019, 02:03:28 AM »

First, I'd note that ISIL has a very real material interest in opposing no-platforming (they want it to be easier to recruit young men to be mass murderers), which has implications both for the credibility of his arguments, and for no-platforming generally.

Second, if I found myself being swayed by a moral argument coming from a member of ISIL, I hope that I would have enough self-awareness to question whether I was becoming either reactionary or a gullible dumbfuck.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #1819 on: July 30, 2019, 02:05:06 AM »
https://twitter.com/nntaleb/status/1155944224795140096

dracarys!

ahaha, Taleb
0/10, no use of Phoenician or imbecile, out of character

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1820 on: July 30, 2019, 09:21:43 AM »

A stopped clock may be right twice a day, but how would you know? :thinking
dog

Leadbelly

« Reply #1821 on: July 30, 2019, 12:27:01 PM »

First, I'd note that ISIL has a very real material interest in opposing no-platforming (they want it to be easier to recruit young men to be mass murderers), which has implications both for the credibility of his arguments, and for no-platforming generally.

Second, if I found myself being swayed by a moral argument coming from a member of ISIL, I hope that I would have enough self-awareness to question whether I was becoming either reactionary or a gullible dumbfuck.

Well, there's that argument, would you give a platform to Nazis? And many freep-speech advocates would say yes. They would give a platform to a Nazi and argue against them.

And Mandark this is another one of your posts that completely misses the point and brings absolutely nothing.

What is the moral argument? The fact that you don't even recognise the actual content of the argument would be important is quite typical of you.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 12:31:17 PM by Leadbelly »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1822 on: July 30, 2019, 12:30:56 PM »
PS "wow this professional media figure is pretty good at talking" is less meaningful than you seem to think it is.

Leadbelly

« Reply #1823 on: July 30, 2019, 12:37:53 PM »
PS "wow this professional media figure is pretty good at talking" is less meaningful than you seem to think it is.

I never understand the point of your posts. lol

You people post these people in this thread all the time. Not in any positive sense, but then usually without context. There is a reason it was posted in this thread and not another. I posted it because I just watched it and was genuinely surprised. Read my original post again. I did not in any way suggest it was meaningful, only that I was 'genuinely surprised' by that. Nothing more. It is you looking for some greater meaning in it not me.. :p

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1824 on: July 30, 2019, 12:40:17 PM »
I never understand the point of your posts.

yeah I know

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #1825 on: July 30, 2019, 01:39:27 PM »
boy that leni riefenstahl could sure frame a scene
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 01:56:03 PM by Van Cruncheon »
duc

Leadbelly

« Reply #1826 on: July 30, 2019, 01:52:40 PM »
boy that leni riefenstal could sure frame a scene

Yeah. I notice you have to exaggerate just how bad Katie Hopkins is for that to make sense. Katie Hopkins is not Hitler. I would argue that a better comparison would be Ann Coulter. She is the British Ann Coulter. And Ann Coulter is not Hitler.

Although... Many people do comment on Hitler's ability as an orator, don't they? Funny enough.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #1827 on: July 30, 2019, 01:55:44 PM »
riefenstahl was hitler??? QANON IS REAL
duc

Leadbelly

« Reply #1828 on: July 30, 2019, 02:05:39 PM »

No, but you are intentionally invoking the Nazi regime and the horrors that subsequently followed, aren't you? As if that is actually comparable.

And in any case, if I said I am genuinely surprised at how well made the Nazi propaganda movies were, I fail to see how that would necessarily be in bad taste. I think many people can separate the horrors of WWII with simply objectively viewing the technical ability of nazi film making.

I agree the way comments are phrased can be in bad taste though.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 02:11:28 PM by Leadbelly »

Oblivion

« Reply #1829 on: July 30, 2019, 04:18:20 PM »

Yeah. I notice you have to exaggerate just how bad Katie Hopkins is for that to make sense. Katie Hopkins is not Hitler. I would argue that a better comparison would be Ann Coulter. She is the British Ann Coulter. And Ann Coulter is not Hitler.

Although... Many people do comment on Hitler's ability as an orator, don't they? Funny enough.

what exactly do you think you're arguing here, pal?  :thinking

Oblivion

« Reply #1830 on: July 30, 2019, 04:23:26 PM »
like, i get that 'well at least he/she is not LITERALLY hitler' is an applause line at trump rallies and the editorial pages of the federalist, but i would think conservatives on the bore would have a bit more sense than to use such lines here

agrajag

« Reply #1831 on: July 30, 2019, 04:27:03 PM »
what do you mean, "you people"

:yikes

agrajag

« Reply #1832 on: July 30, 2019, 04:29:06 PM »
inb4 leadbelly tells you he's not a conservative,  he's a classical liberal

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #1833 on: July 30, 2019, 04:50:17 PM »

what exactly do you think you're arguing here, pal?  :thinking

I think it's just a front for him having the hots for Hopkins

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1834 on: July 30, 2019, 05:09:00 PM »
Ann Coulter is a massive troll, though?
dog

Leadbelly

« Reply #1835 on: July 30, 2019, 05:46:30 PM »
like, i get that 'well at least he/she is not LITERALLY hitler' is an applause line at trump rallies and the editorial pages of the federalist, but i would think conservatives on the bore would have a bit more sense than to use such lines here

I like how you and Mandark always make arguments that never really address the point. I am not the one bringing up Nazism. It is quite simple. Let me explain it in very simple language and clearly: A person compares me saying Katie Hopkins is a good orator to someone praising film work of a nazi propaganda movie. They are not comparable. Do you understand? Cheapening Nazism by literally throwing it at every right-winger it is not something I generally go along with.

And I am not conservative. I am a Left winger. I would see myself as an old school left winger who is actually for working class interests. I love how people assume just because I don't go along with your RElite bullshit I am automatically conservative. lol

I mean, I remember previously in this thread someone posting Steven Pinker tweets, as if mockingly, because lets face it you only post tweets in he mockingly for some reason, even when it is hard to actually understand what you are mocking. Yet, Steven Pinker is also on the left. He is one of the most rational and reasoned people around. Get a fucking grip.

Ann Coulter is a massive troll, though?

So is Katie Hopkins? Obviously they are not exactly alike, but if you were to compare her to someone, that is who I would compare her to. A right-winger with controversial opinions on things.

The funny thing is, none of you actually disagree with my assertion she is a good orator. 1. The argument made is not an objectionable argument. 2. She is a good orator. Stop trying to read something into everything just because I don't go along with your every worldview.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 06:40:24 PM by Leadbelly »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1836 on: July 30, 2019, 06:08:21 PM »

No, but you are intentionally invoking the Nazi regime and the horrors that subsequently followed, aren't you? As if that is actually comparable.

And in any case, if I said I am genuinely surprised at how well made the Nazi propaganda movies were, I fail to see how that would necessarily be in bad taste. I think many people can separate the horrors of WWII with simply objectively viewing the technical ability of nazi film making.

I agree the way comments are phrased can be in bad taste though.
The Nazi's had their own Marvel Cinematic Universe with super heroes before Disney had even thought about such a thing.
I wouldn't buy Hugo Boss winter-coats though. That product placement deal didn't really work out for either party.
🤴

Leadbelly

« Reply #1837 on: July 30, 2019, 06:13:18 PM »

I will mention actually... It gets kind of murky when you mention classical liberal values, or lets say, Enlightenment values. Classical liberalism these days I hear described as being on the right. The Liberal Party in Australia is actually a right wing party, for instance. However, historically those values could be seen as on the Left.

What side would you say Noam Chomsky is on for instance? Yet he holds values I would consider classical liberal, libertarian, and of the Enlightenment.

What side is Glenn Greenwald on?

Edit: Incidentally, as this subject has been brought up. I remember watching this interview with someone who considers themself a classical liberal and right wing. Also Australian.

Good channel btw... Although I know instantly this will not pass your 'left-wing' purity test. Even though they describe themselves as left-wing.

Konstantin Kisin, who also describes himself as left-wing, I feel will make you suspicious.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 06:34:05 PM by Leadbelly »

Oblivion

« Reply #1838 on: July 30, 2019, 06:38:16 PM »

I will mention actually... It gets kind of murky when you mention classical liberal values, or lets say, Enlightenment values. Classical liberalism these days I hear described as being on the right. The Liberal Party in Australia is actually a right wing party, for instance. However, historically those values could be seen as on the Left.

What side would you say Noam Chomsky is on for instance? Yet he holds values I would consider classical liberal, libertarian, and of the Enlightenment.

this is an astronomically naive and/or bad faith comparison.

Edit: Incidentally, as this subject has been brought up. I remember watching this interview with someone who considers themself a classical liberal and right wing. Also Australian.

Good channel btw... Although I know instantly this will not pass your 'left-wing' purity test. Even though they describe themselves as left-wing.

Konstantin Kisin, who also describes himself as left-wing, I feel will make you suspicious.

ah yes, a channel called 'triggernometry', whose founder is a contributor for the outlet of afficionados of skull measuring, Quillete, very known for being 'on the left'.

edit: also, you know when someone 'DESTROYS' their opposition when they say that's what they've done themselves :lol
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 06:46:39 PM by Oblivion »

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #1839 on: July 30, 2019, 06:44:53 PM »
每天生气

Oblivion

« Reply #1840 on: July 30, 2019, 06:45:43 PM »

I like how you and Mandark always make arguments that never really address the point. I am not the one bringing up Nazism. It is quite simple. Let me explain it in very simple language and clearly: A person compares me saying Katie Hopkins is a good orator to someone praising film work of a nazi propaganda movie. They are not comparable. Do you understand? Cheapening Nazism by literally throwing it at every right-winger it is not something I generally go along with.

And I am not conservative. I am a Left winger. I would see myself as an old school left winger who is actually for working class interests. I love how people assume just because I don't go along with your RElite bullshit I am automatically conservative. lol

I mean, I remember previously in this thread someone posting Steven Pinker tweets, as if mockingly, because lets face it you only post tweets in he mockingly for some reason, even when it is hard to actually understand what you are mocking. Yet, Steven Pinker is also on the left. He is one of the most rational and reasoned people around. Get a fucking grip.

right, the best kinds of leftists are ones who...always post positively about the right and shit on the left.

when was the last time pinker criticized the Right for anything?

Leadbelly

« Reply #1841 on: July 30, 2019, 06:47:36 PM »

ah yes, a channel called 'triggernometry', whose founder is a contributor for the outlet of afficionados of skull measuring, Quillete, very known for being 'on the left'.

Could you just be clear about what you are saying? Who?

Also, as you might guess, I would have no issue with them, whom ever you mean, writing a piece on Quillette. If that is how you define 'left-wing' then I guess you have also found Steven Pinker out, because he has also been a contributor on Quillette. Maybe that is why his tweets deserve being mocked?

Edit: Also the 'DESTROYS' thing I am pretty sure is being ironic. They are comedians and have actually joked about Youtube videos like that before.

Oblivion

« Reply #1842 on: July 30, 2019, 06:53:54 PM »

Also, as you might guess, I would have no issue with them, whom ever you mean, writing a piece on Quillette. If that is how you define 'left-wing' then I guess you have also found Steven Pinker out, because he has also been a contributor on Quillette. Maybe that is why his tweets deserve being mocked?

i was talking about the 'comedian' in the video you referenced. thought that was clear, but it could also apply to the entire channel. and yes, virtually anyone, with the tiniest of exceptions, who writes for quillete is in any way leftist.

Edit: Also the 'DESTROYS' thing I am pretty sure is being ironic. They are comedians and have actually joked about Youtube videos like that before.

nobody on the planet who uses the word 'trigger' unironically would be using the word 'DESTROYS' unironically either.

Oblivion

« Reply #1843 on: July 30, 2019, 06:54:54 PM »
leadbelly strikes me as a more polite version of assimiliate/optimus. someone who theoretically is okay with raising the minimum wage, but really, REALLY thinks we should bring back the n-word in public discourse

agrajag

« Reply #1844 on: July 30, 2019, 06:58:00 PM »
Quilette  :nope

Gillette   :ohyeah

Oblivion

« Reply #1845 on: July 30, 2019, 07:03:30 PM »
can just picture scrolling through noam chomsky's facebook feed which is littered with 'soy boy sjws EVISCERATED with FACTS and LOGIC' youtube vids.

Leadbelly

« Reply #1846 on: July 30, 2019, 07:04:08 PM »

i was talking about the 'comedian' in the video you referenced. thought that was clear, but it could also apply to the entire channel. and yes, virtually anyone, with the tiniest of exceptions, who writes for quillete is in any way leftist.

nobody on the planet who uses the word 'trigger' unironically would be using the word 'DESTROYS' unironically either.

lol

I knew you would be suspicious of him. Just knew it. I'm not going to try to convince you. I just feel some of you take this whole left and right thing a bit too seriously. I am of the opinion actually that these labels don't really mean anything anymore. I identify as left because my roots are working class, and so my interests and loyalty still lies with the working class. But then the left has moved on to identity politics which I simply don't subscribe to. And some right wingers make way more sense than some left wingers. I don't have the same notion of left and right anymore where the left must be firmly over here and never venture out acorss the border. That is kind of how it seems with you.

One of my favourite commentators for instance is Douglas Murray, who is right wing. Also, I will stress that still doesn't mean that was the reason I posted the Katie Hopkins video. That was simply because I watch Oxford Union debates, as I said, and thought she was good in that debate. And it was not an endorsment of all her views. Just to make that clear.

Leadbelly

« Reply #1847 on: July 30, 2019, 07:09:59 PM »
leadbelly strikes me as a more polite version of assimiliate/optimus. someone who theoretically is okay with raising the minimum wage, but really, REALLY thinks we should bring back the n-word in public discourse

I am also going to let you into a secret. I am mixed race. I look kind of caucasian though, but more mediterranean caucasian as I have dark skin. My grandfather was from Jamaica, which in turn makes my mother, in the old english way of saying it, half-caste, which in turn makes me quarter black. I maintain dark skin though. More like yellow skin. I am also of Jewish ancestry and English ancestry. I am a complete mongrel.

And now you have nowhere to turn. lol

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1848 on: July 30, 2019, 07:24:40 PM »
 :delicious

Oblivion

« Reply #1849 on: July 30, 2019, 07:25:59 PM »
Leadbelly, your opinions and beliefs I can handle. But it's the utter lack of respect that really grinds my gears.

Admittedly, i haven't followed literally every single one of your posts, but of the posts that i've seen - which is many btw - all you fucking post is videos shitting on the 'identity politics', 'sjw' left. when's the last post you made arguing about workers' rights or whatever?

like do you think the issue that people have with jordan peterson, sargon or their ilk is one of labels? that if only leftists would agree that they're actually really leftist in some tortured way, then suddenly  we'll start liking/agreeing with them

come on, son

come on

Leadbelly

« Reply #1850 on: July 30, 2019, 07:33:10 PM »
I don't like identity politics. I don't subscribe to it. And so in threads like this it is more likely to be videos like that. Which is what the thread was intended for, no? The continuation of wank dad?

And lack of respect for whom?

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #1851 on: July 30, 2019, 07:36:35 PM »
Look, there's no such thing as classical liberalism as a modern ideology. This is an artificial anachronism people have made up. Liberalism in the late 18th and 19th centuries was a social and economic movement that stood in opposition to monarchism and mercantilism. These are your voltaires, your adam smiths. Then you have progressives in the late 19th century who advocated social change. The word liberal, in many places, describes the progressives, who are technically descended from the liberals of yore but that liberalism won in every "western" country on Earth once WWII was over (excluding some fascist holdovers like Falangist Spain and Estado Novo in Portugal) so this describes EVERYONE you would ever bother to talk about.

Noam Chomsky is an anti-capitalist, communitarian, etc. etc. He thinks free market capitalism has pathologized human behavior. He wants complete public ownership of capital. FaSinPat, syndicalist, pro-union... Comparing him to the aforementioned philosophical tradition is completely inaccurate, even if he is "pro free speech" or "anti authoritarianism". GOOGLE MURRAY BOOKCHIN (this is a meme, don't google murray bookchin).

Does he call himself a classical liberal? Besides, The Intercept is like one of the (best, and) wokest news organizations around. They have been hammering hard against ICE for years. They have covered corrupt and racist police practices. Glenn is GAY!

Since it is not clear to you yet... classical liberalism is a shibboleth for people who just want to participate in the anti-woke debate. That's it. Steve Pinker's only two contributions to the public forum are a defense of global capitalism (he is what is known as a DWEIB) and several groans toward college campus liberalism. "Classical liberalism" as a phrase is a thing Jordan Peterson made up in an angry email because he got mad that people kept pegging him as conservative or right wing. Somehow it caught on among other people who, like Peterson, don't know really know much about history. To date, the vast majority of Jordan Peterson's fame has come from trying to organize a counter cultural movement against the SJWs who will literally destroy society by turning into Nazis or Communists. Dave Rubin started using the phrase because he can only use words that other people string together for him (because he is an idiot). Are you seeing a pattern?

You can get by like the rest of us and just say that you're not really into woke culture. I am not into woke culture. I know agrafrag is also not into woke culture. However, if I said I was really anti-woke-culture, and I made this part of my identity, and I went to meetup.com and looked for anti-woke meetups, and I found one at the local bar, and went to their next meetup, there is a good chance I will be hanging out with Proudboys and College Republicans. As someone whose roommate used to host the Sac State Young Republican club meetings, I never want to do that ever again.

I am not conservative. I am a Left winger. I would see myself as an old school left winger who is actually for working class interests.
If this is true, and I suspect it is, I think it would be better if we could get you to start participating in constructive socialist discussion instead of the onanistic circle jerk and intellectual dead end that is wank-dadaism. You are caught in a trap defending people that don't need defending (your last few posts are just you getting triggered over and over again). Let me explain it to you as simply as possible: Mandark, and probably to an extent Oblivion, never said you are conservative, and don't think you are. They just think you're dumb. And they will dunk on you for as long as you give them ammunition. Just give up now.
每天生气

Leadbelly

« Reply #1852 on: July 30, 2019, 07:38:23 PM »
And I wish I could store 'filler' likes and cash them in for prizes.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1853 on: July 30, 2019, 07:46:39 PM »

-Trigger
-DESTROYS
-SJWs

Leadbelly: But they're totally left-wing, guys!
dog

Leadbelly

« Reply #1854 on: July 30, 2019, 08:01:11 PM »
Look, there's no such thing as classical liberalism as a modern ideology. This is an artificial anachronism people have made up. Liberalism in the late 18th and 19th centuries was a social and economic movement that stood in opposition to monarchism and mercantilism. These are your voltaires, your adam smiths. Then you have progressives in the late 19th century who advocated social change. The word liberal, in many places, describes the progressives, who are technically descended from the liberals of yore but that liberalism won in every "western" country on Earth once WWII was over (excluding some fascist holdovers like Falangist Spain and Estado Novo in Portugal) so this describes EVERYONE you would ever bother to talk about.

Noam Chomsky is an anti-capitalist, communitarian, etc. etc. He thinks free market capitalism has pathologized human behavior. He wants complete public ownership of capital. FaSinPat, syndicalist, pro-union... Comparing him to the aforementioned philosophical tradition is completely inaccurate, even if he is "pro free speech" or "anti authoritarianism". GOOGLE MURRAY BOOKCHIN (this is a meme, don't google murray bookchin).

Does he call himself a classical liberal? Besides, The Intercept is like one of the (best, and) wokest news organizations around. They have been hammering hard against ICE for years. They have covered corrupt and racist police practices. Glenn is GAY!

Since it is not clear to you yet... classical liberalism is a shibboleth for people who just want to participate in the anti-woke debate. That's it. Steve Pinker's only two contributions to the public forum are a defense of global capitalism (he is what is known as a DWEIB) and several groans toward college campus liberalism. "Classical liberalism" as a phrase is a thing Jordan Peterson made up in an angry email because he got mad that people kept pegging him as conservative or right wing. Somehow it caught on among other people who, like Peterson, don't know really know much about history. To date, the vast majority of Jordan Peterson's fame has come from trying to organize a counter cultural movement against the SJWs who will literally destroy society by turning into Nazis or Communists. Dave Rubin started using the phrase because he can only use words that other people string together for him (because he is an idiot). Are you seeing a pattern?

You can get by like the rest of us and just say that you're not really into woke culture. I am not into woke culture. I know agrafrag is also not into woke culture. However, if I said I was really anti-woke-culture, and I made this part of my identity, and I went to meetup.com and looked for anti-woke meetups, and I found one at the local bar, and went to their next meetup, there is a good chance I will be hanging out with Proudboys and College Republicans. As someone whose roommate used to host the Sac State Young Republican club meetings, I never want to do that ever again.

I am not conservative. I am a Left winger. I would see myself as an old school left winger who is actually for working class interests.
If this is true, and I suspect it is, I think it would be better if we could get you to start participating in constructive socialist discussion instead of the onanistic circle jerk and intellectual dead end that is wank-dadaism. You are caught in a trap defending people that don't need defending (your last few posts are just you getting triggered over and over again). Let me explain it to you as simply as possible: Mandark, and probably to an extent Oblivion, never said you are conservative, and don't think you are. They just think you're dumb. And they will dunk on you for as long as you give them ammunition. Just give up now.

Noam Chomsky can be described as a 'left-libertarian' and is in fact. Now the roots to the term 'libertarian' is actually to describe anarchists. Libertarian at one point in time was used synonymously with anarchism. I am not saying he is a classical liberal I was saying he has values consistent with classical liberalism, or libertarianism, or the Enlightenment. There is a reason I suggested all three. It is because I was referring to a particular set of values, rather than the entire philosophy, that is consistent within all three.

Classical liberal as a term, is just used to differentiate traditional liberalism(19th century), or classical liberalism, with modern liberalism. Particularly in America. And in fact people say libertarianism is basically started to differentiate classical liberalism with modern liberalism, which has lost all meaning. It is true that there is very little difference between what could be considered a libertarian viewpoint and a classical liberal viewpoint. And then you could go on to objectivism and Ayn Rand, which could be described as extreme libertarianism or extreme classical liberalism.

The root of liberalism can be summed up in one sentence: The freedom of the individual. It is a philosphy that stemmed from the idea that the individual is sacred. And so what naturally follows is that the state's power over the individual is suspect. Andfollowing from that there is a desire to limit state power or remove it altogether.

You're looking at it from an economic perspective rather than a social one. In terms of the social Noam Chomsky comes at it from the Enlightenment perspective through and through. That is, the freedom of the individual. He is not collective socially, he is most definitely individualistic.

The point I was making is that it is really murky. The line is blurred as where does that base of the individual is sacred then cross from one side to the other? not so clear.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1855 on: July 30, 2019, 08:10:42 PM »
Quilette  :nope

Gillette   :ohyeah

I feel safe in saying that Quilette is definitely not the best a man can get.
©@©™

Leadbelly

« Reply #1856 on: July 30, 2019, 08:14:57 PM »

-Trigger
-DESTROYS
-SJWs

Leadbelly: But they're totally left-wing, guys!

It is a joke. Trust me on that.

That said, I swear I don't get you guys sometimes. You will sit there mocking RE members who are the absolute classic definition of an 'SJW' but then question a person's left-ness for mocking similar ideas.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1857 on: July 30, 2019, 08:16:25 PM »
there is a devastating burn that I have refrained from using because it would hurt leadbelly too much

Leadbelly

« Reply #1858 on: July 30, 2019, 08:19:17 PM »
there is a devastating burn that I have refrained from using because it would hurt leadbelly too much

Do it. I don't believe you could say anything that wouldn't make yourself look stupid. ;)

Kind of kidding, or not, maybe.

Edit: And I am not hurt by anything, I just can't help defending my position whenever I am attacked. I can't let anything go. lol

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1859 on: July 30, 2019, 08:30:30 PM »
Do it.

man it's pretty rough and idk if I want that blood on my hands