Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4222395 times)

Tasty

Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #39480 on: September 10, 2021, 01:59:55 PM »
I don't care that's why it's disheartening if Garfield is being forced to lie about it so a couple of naive mouth-breathers can be surprised for 2 seconds

Part of the job. :trumps It's not like he's being tortured in gitmo for information.

And if I were Feige/the producers, I'd understand as well.

Seems like an odd thing to be annoyed about.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #39481 on: September 10, 2021, 02:43:36 PM »
A lie is a lie :wag Whatever happened to "no comment".

We live in a post-secrecy world. Matrix got leaked, this got leaked: everything "big" gets leaked. It sucks but it's the cost of doing business.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #39482 on: September 10, 2021, 03:02:13 PM »
 :piss :piss :piss2

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #39483 on: September 10, 2021, 04:54:48 PM »
I genuinely don't get why you guys care about a 2 seconds cameo of a character from a better film? Is it really that satisfying to just see the guy pop on screen and say a line, before he disappears?

Yup. Not so much Andrew, although I do love the TASM2 suit and him as an actor in general.

I am nuclear-level hyped for any appearance of Tobey in his suit. I never thought it would happen again.

Back when Sony was building out their ASM cinematic universe I considered for a second the possibility of a Spider-Verse like teamup with Tobey and Andrew, but I quickly wrote it off as "never gonna happen, ever, ever."

And now it might be happening. Yes, I'm excited. Spider-Man 2 is in my personal top three, alongside Perfect Blue and The Blair Witch Project.
I love the Raimi Spiderman movies, but what's exciting about seeing Tobey as a cameo in another (likely mediocre, going by the previous entries) movie for a couple of seconds? :thinking
At best i can understand a bit of a tug to the nostalgia heartstrings, but that's it.
Meaning, what are hyped about?

Tasty

« Reply #39484 on: September 10, 2021, 05:01:21 PM »
It's something I wouldn't have thought would happen. It's a reminder to the young'uns that the older films exist. And really, it's just damn cool. 8)

Tuckers Law

« Reply #39485 on: September 10, 2021, 05:02:20 PM »
After Holland for several movies now, Disney marketing is probably all JJ Jamesons now.  “These fucking Spider-Man cannot be trusted to keep a secret at all, regardless of who’s wearing the mask.  Lock their shit down tighter than a chastity belt.”

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #39486 on: September 10, 2021, 05:03:35 PM »
I remember times when I was forced to lie to appease the powers that be.  It was an unconscionable burden.  I don't get why society tolerates any kind of misinformation.   That's why I never play along with the idea that Santa is real in front of children.     

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #39487 on: September 10, 2021, 06:34:15 PM »
tasty boi after seeing the leaks:

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #39488 on: September 10, 2021, 06:40:04 PM »
Brehs

September: Dune
October: No Time To Die, The Last Duel
December: The Matrix: Ressurections, The King's Man

+ some Disney shit in between

And in January a new Guy Ritchie film. :rejoice
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #39489 on: September 10, 2021, 06:42:29 PM »
 :drudgeSPOILER
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
grandpa neo in december  8)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 07:01:58 PM by team filler »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #39490 on: September 10, 2021, 09:07:14 PM »
Omg.

Malignant is batshit insane. I absolutely loved it. James Wan going hog wild. The final act is absurd levels of bonkers.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39492 on: September 10, 2021, 09:47:26 PM »
I try to take people at their word, but I also remember when David Jaffe lied (repeatedly) about there not being a new Twisted Metal game so they could do a surprise reveal at E3 and his defence was that it was for the sake of the audience because people like surprises. I like surprises but I don't like liars either.

:badass
dog

Quaker

« Reply #39493 on: September 10, 2021, 09:48:01 PM »
Everything sounds stupid if you go by the 10 word logline. Replace Statham/bee keeping with Cage/truffle hunting and you pretty much have Pig.

Wait, Latvia is getting Dune 5 weeks before 'Murrica...because of the HBO day/date shit? 

:shaking

I don't care about seeing it right now(they could delay it until next summer and I wouldn't give a shit) but five weeks of unavoidable regurgitated takes before seeing it is going to suck shit.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 09:54:49 PM by Quaker »

Tasty

« Reply #39494 on: September 10, 2021, 09:51:07 PM »
Omg.

Malignant is batshit insane. I absolutely loved it. James Wan going hog wild. The final act is absurd levels of bonkers.

I knew I'd love it from the opening butt-techno.

Tasty

« Reply #39495 on: September 10, 2021, 10:29:24 PM »
Goddamn do I want to make movies like Malignant. (Light spoilers.)

Literally the first time I've had ":o" on my face IRL watching a film in a long time (maybe Lars von Trier?)

Did not expect an homage to The Ring, points just for that.

Noticed callbacks to Raimi-cam too, and the first act was very much like Annabelle: Creation (in a good way.) Loved the overhead tracking shot that moved between not only rooms but floors as well.

Score won't be for everyone but it was catchy and "spooky" in the best October-night way. Even the sparing amount of humor was pretty good, especially thirsty girl and sassy black cop.

Some of the lighting was a tad overdone, but I understand this film is in a heightened reality and going for a certain style. The film looks damn good otherwise.

Like Mups said, the final act is just on some other level. Holy shit. Give Friday the 13th to James Wan.

5 / 5, score might go down on a second viewing

Tasty

« Reply #39496 on: September 10, 2021, 10:33:52 PM »
Kinda feels like a big budget Dark Castle film. :lol

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #39497 on: September 11, 2021, 12:02:07 AM »
Omg.

I knew I'd love it from the opening butt-techno.
Yessssss. I was dancing in my seat in the theater. The soundtrack was fucking superb. Loved the whole vibe.

ShutUp

« Reply #39498 on: September 11, 2021, 12:34:07 AM »
Omg.

Third act was  :lawd :lawd

James Wan whipped it out and told WB “I have made you so much goddamn money, now watch this shit” and went crazy with this.

Quaker

« Reply #39499 on: September 11, 2021, 01:32:26 AM »
Fun movie, felt like a feature length, live action adaptation of a Treehouse of Horror episode with the "jokes" dial turned down.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #39500 on: September 11, 2021, 04:27:54 AM »
Interesting, the trailer makes it look rather bland. :thinking

Tasty

« Reply #39501 on: September 11, 2021, 11:08:34 AM »
Interesting, the trailer makes it look rather bland. :thinking

I had the same thought with the trailer. Let me tell you it's not bland, and even the title ties back thematically to everything. I was quite surprised how cohesive and different it was.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #39502 on: September 11, 2021, 10:41:39 PM »
Malignant was weird, uneven, and hokey.  It felt like a modern 80's slasher.  I liked it.  Was laughing really hard during the last half hour.     

Bebpo

« Reply #39503 on: September 12, 2021, 03:53:12 AM »
Malignant was fucking hilarious.

I love how this movie would never have gotten greenlit by any studio a decade ago for this budget, but now Wan has made so much money he's just like I'm gonna make this batshit ridiculous movie and have fun doing it and I CAN.

Like it wasn't scary/serious horror at all. The opening scene set the tone of Sam Raimi, but rather than channel Raimi he does his own style of like post-2000 videogame cut hyper violence that's self-aware stupid? It's tonally more in common with Aquaman and Fast 7 because those were both self-aware ridiculous and dumb entertaining movies, rather than Saw 1 or Conjuring 1/2 which play it straight.

I don't know if it's good, but it's hilarious and entertaining and interesting and I'd rather have people making interesting entertaining films than by the book stuff. Thumbs up.

Way better than Conjuring 3.

Bebpo

« Reply #39504 on: September 12, 2021, 03:55:07 AM »
Talking about the soundtrack, it sounded like a techno arrangement of the opening of Where is My Mind by the Pixies??

Bebpo

« Reply #39505 on: September 12, 2021, 07:03:51 PM »
I was trying to think of what Malignant's style is closest to with its quick cuts and loud techno and in your face dumb dumb dumb (in a good way),

And I think Wan's style these days is basically modern Michael Bay if Michael Bay was both modern Michael Bay and actually talented (which he is not). Like imagine if Malignant was the same movie except the cop duo on the case were Smith & Lawrence from Bad Boys. IT WOULD FIT.

Damnit, now I want James Wan to direct a new Bad Boys movie where they take on a supernatural killer.

Tasty

« Reply #39506 on: September 12, 2021, 11:13:06 PM »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #39507 on: September 13, 2021, 10:37:51 AM »
I haven't watched Malignant yet, but i'm assuming it has some kind of meta twist like Cabin in the Woods? Anyway, now i'm really curious.
Seems to be the talk of the town atm, trying to avoid spoiler, lol.

Tasty

« Reply #39508 on: September 13, 2021, 10:56:08 AM »
I haven't watched Malignant yet, but i'm assuming it has some kind of meta twist like Cabin in the Woods? Anyway, now i'm really curious.
Seems to be the talk of the town atm, trying to avoid spoiler, lol.

I don't think this is a spoiler: there are no meta twists.

Just a fun movie. :)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #39509 on: September 13, 2021, 11:57:52 AM »
Malignant was bonkers in the best way possible. From the delirious camera angles, to the thumping techno swells, to the completely off-the-rails third act, I was loving every minute of it. The twist wasn’t even that surprising, it was hinted at heavily, the surprising part was that they actually did it, like it was still the 1980’s or some shit. :lol 9/10

other stuff I watched this weekend

DEFCON-4 (1985)
Middling 80’s post-apocalyptic action movie about a trio of astronauts that return to Earth after a nuclear war to find most of the population wiped out and the rest turned into irradiated mutants or under the rule of petty warlords. The main guy had zero charisma and the main villain was just some asshole highschool jock (literally, that was his character). The only interesting thing about it was that later I learned that the jock’s girlfriend who he occasionally tries to kill and she occasionally tries to kill him is now a liberal MP in the Canadian Parliament. #Girlboss but also 3/10

Prison (1988)
Renny Harlin directed this Charles Band joint about a dilapidated prison that’s haunted by the ghost of the last prisoner to be (wrongfully) executed there. Viggo Mortensen plays the lead role of the quiet badass, it also has Tommy Lister as a fellow inmate and Lane White as the increasingly unhinged warden. As bodies pile up in increasingly brutal ways, tempers flare, leading to a full scale riot and a full scale ectoplasmic manifestation. I didn’t know anything about this movie going in, but it was actually pretty cool. 7/10

Return of the Living Dead III (1993)
Peak Brian Yuzna. The best romantic horror movie since The Bride of Frankenstein. 10/10

The Groove Tube (1974)
Dated sketch comedy parody of network TV. Mostly just an excuse to be horny on main, but it’s surprising equal opportunity horny for the era, featuring big floppy dongs in addition to vegene, but it is comedy and dongs are undeniably funny. Features a brief appearance by Chevy Chase, but sadly not his dong. 4/10

The Cellar (1989)
Good ol’ fashion country-fried horror film, featuring no budget, no talent, and a dream, plus a pickup load of pyrotechnics. The story is about an ancient Navajo curse against the white man that summoned a demon to kill all YTs, but it was too indiscriminate in its bloodlust that the Navajo sealed it away, only to be accidentally unsealed in the present day. When the medicine man and an old white guy that had been protecting the site are killed off, only a little kid believed the monster is real and he has to deal with it the only way he knows how: by blowing the fuck out of it with dynamite. Not a good movie, but I appreciate these kinds of efforts. 5/10

« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 12:09:23 PM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #39510 on: September 14, 2021, 07:31:52 AM »
Watched Malignant, it was indeed a fun romp, some of the effects & shots felt more show off-y than purposeful, kind of like Breaking Bad/El Camino, but not necessarily a bad thing, because the movie doesn't take itself too seriously.
They should've cut off ( :rimshot) about 60% of the exposition, and it would've flowed better i think, they explain her already obvious backstory way too many times.
But the SCP+John Wick moments (or Darkman, given the many Raimi-style shots?) were great.
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #39511 on: September 14, 2021, 12:01:42 PM »
David Chase is pissed about something again. :P

https://deadline.com/2021/09/david-chase-sopranos-revival-the-many-saints-of-newark-disdain-day-date-bow-interested-in-another-prequel-film-1234828184/

David Chase is notoriously opinionated and outspoken, but I also think he's extremely intelligent and not necessarily in the wrong for his feelings on this. Warner's still has work to do it seems.

That all said, this did make me chuckle:

I never thought that it would be back on HBO. Never.

That's... That's how HBO works. Home Box Office. Day-and-date, sure, that's something new happening. But he thought it'd never show up on HBO, at all, ever? Hmm...

Quaker

« Reply #39513 on: September 14, 2021, 02:43:10 PM »
Not really? Sounds like it would've lost them a shitload of money and would've only been useful to give to him as a personal project so they can ensnare him to make a summer blockbuster next, like the one which they just completely fumbled the release of last year? Those types of movies as wide, theatrical-first releases are done and he clearly has a hard-on for the sanctity of the theatrical experience or whatever.

(I'm still salty AF that I never got to see Tenet on IMAX, FWIW)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #39514 on: September 14, 2021, 04:50:10 PM »
New Nolan Film :rejoice

I wonder what the angle is going to be.
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #39515 on: September 14, 2021, 11:29:53 PM »
Prisoners of the Ghostland.  I liked it.  It's weird.  Felt like Hell Comes to Frogtown with a budget. 

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #39516 on: September 15, 2021, 12:47:54 PM »
Bird With the Crystal Plumage (1970) - Making my way through Dario Argento's filmography. This was his first movie so not surprisingly it's a lot less twisty and stylish than Tenebrae, but still a really solid film. A lot of his trademarks (which became giallo trademarks in general) are here; an unseen black-gloved killer with a dagger/switchblade targeting beautiful women, someone sees a murder but misses or misinterprets a crucial piece of information that would solve the case, whispery phone calls from the murderer, etc.

Sphinix (1981) - An extremely forgettable attempt to cash in on the King Tut mania of the 70's. An Egyptologist takes a trip to Egypt to explore her passion for all things mummified and immediately gets caught up with the black market trade of stolen artifacts and secret tombs. The plot seems like a decent setup for an Indiana Jones-esque adventure (this movie actually came out 5 months before Raiders of the Lost Ark), but instead they decided to go with Hitchcockian thriller and didn't really pull it off. No one has any charisma, our protagonist has no chemistry with her supposed love interest Frank Langella, and the plot just throws implausible twist on top of implausible twist to the point that the whole thing is just incoherent. The only thing that works is the excellent photography of locations in Cairo and Luxor. Terrible as a two hour movie, but it would have been a nice 45 minute travelogue.
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #39517 on: September 15, 2021, 08:30:11 PM »
new spidey suit leak

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #39518 on: September 15, 2021, 09:05:30 PM »
He shoots ropes.  :-*

Tasty

« Reply #39519 on: September 15, 2021, 09:31:37 PM »
new spidey suit leak

Not the only thing leaking :drool

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #39520 on: September 16, 2021, 09:51:17 AM »
Dune was good. Very good I would say. Only real negative was not enough zendaya

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #39521 on: September 16, 2021, 10:26:14 AM »
Prey (2021) - Watched this German thriller on Netflix about a group of friends going out for a hike in a forest and end up being hunted by a sniper. In addition to fighting for their lives, our main character Roman also tries to find the courage to stand up to his older brother, who's a manipulative asshole.
One thing that I found really creepy about this film was the sniper (revealed to a women in an early twist) never speaks a word during the entire movie. We find out a hint of her motivation from a laptop Roman discovers in her cabin (her daughter got killed by some drunken hunters) but she never responds in any way to their pleas for mercy or an explanation. One time she has them dead to rights, but chooses not to shoot them, and we never know why because she never says. In the end, when Roman overpowers her and takes her gun away, she just slowly takes a step back and wordlessly drops off a cliff. Makes it pretty spooky.
[close]

Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat (1989) - Horror/Comedy/Western about a chemical engineer and his family that go to a remote western town to help set up a synthetic blood factory, that unbeknownst to him is run by vampires. He and his family get caught up in a civil war between the clan of vegan vampires lead by David Carradine, and a splinter group led by John Ireland that want to return to the old ways. Also features Bruce Campbell as Van Helsing's great great grandson, M. Emmit Walsh as a cranky old coot, and a lot of random 80's "oh yeah, that guy" guys. Fun watch.
©@©™

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #39522 on: September 17, 2021, 05:51:48 AM »
Watching The Willoughbys with my kids. What a weird fucking movie. Totally did not expect a Deliverance reference in a kids movie.
Spud

Tasty

« Reply #39523 on: September 17, 2021, 03:22:29 PM »

Day one for anything even slightly horror from Guillermo. (I have yet to see his fish-man romance film.)

Tasty

« Reply #39524 on: September 17, 2021, 03:26:19 PM »

V/H/S 2 was stupid and bad, and Viral was incomprehensible garbage. Gonna wait for reviews on this one.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #39525 on: September 17, 2021, 05:44:49 PM »

Day one for anything even slightly horror from Guillermo. (I have yet to see his fish-man romance film.)
Not a big fan of DelToro (though i liked Cronos, Pacific Rim and PL) but this looks fun.
I also have to watch the fish guy one.

Wanted to go see DUNC tomorrow, and i'll probably still try, but it seems like every single IMAX screening is sold out for the whole week, aside from completely shitty seatings.
If i have to watch it in some old ass theater, might as well wait for the "home video".  :yeshrug

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #39526 on: September 17, 2021, 08:58:53 PM »

I’m day one for anything del toro. Even his messes are interesting.

The fish love movie is strangely beautiful. I love it.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #39527 on: September 18, 2021, 12:53:07 AM »
Candyman was good

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #39528 on: September 18, 2021, 04:06:59 AM »

Fish movie was boring and predictable. Not good.
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #39529 on: September 18, 2021, 02:29:08 PM »
Just bought my first movie ticket in over 2 years to see Dune this tuesday.  :doge

The last film I watched in a movie theatre was the gentlemen from Guy Ritchie.
They literally closed them all down the next day.
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #39530 on: September 18, 2021, 06:57:01 PM »
Saw DUNE today.
Not in Imax because only shitty seats were left, so i preferred good seats on a normal screen.

Movie's ok, good spectacle, flat, shallow characters and an annoying amount of lore dump.

Also it's literally "part 1", and i mean like literally watching the first 4 episodes of a 3 seasons show, with the caveat that the continuation is not even in production yet (AFAIK).
Just absurd levels of idiocy in my opinion.
You want to do this 3 part thing, that's fine, then film all three at once like LOTR did, and you can have a sensible release plan.

Probably my least favorite Villeneuve, but it's not a piece of shit or anything, just puzzling how much time they waste with pointless details, and then just cut with no climax or arc whatsoever.  ???

EDIT: I'm sure Dune, the book, is a masterpiece and the characters will acquire depth as the story goes on, i'm judging the movie in itself tho.
There are a couple of deaths that really left me shrugging, because said characters had very little emotional depth to them.
Dune 2 will probably be much better, given where we are left off in this one.

Tasty

« Reply #39531 on: September 19, 2021, 09:43:57 PM »
Since alt-history fiction is big these days, I wonder if anyone's tried a movie/show where 9/11 never happened. I'm trying to think of what that world would look like and there's so many directions you could go.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #39532 on: September 20, 2021, 10:47:11 AM »
Since alt-history fiction is big these days, I wonder if anyone's tried a movie/show where 9/11 never happened. I'm trying to think of what that world would look like and there's so many directions you could go.

Have you heard of The Matrix?
rub

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #39533 on: September 20, 2021, 11:33:58 AM »

Watchmen (TV show) has the big squid from the comics happen in the 80s, and has a dictatorial undemocratic left wing government under Robert Redford in his third term and heading for his fourth today

Mr Robot implies 9/11 never happened, but the big bank wipe that happens early S1 did instead

e: Oh yeah, a plot point in The Boys is 9/11 never happened, but terrorists took out Brooklyn Bridge

Tasty

« Reply #39534 on: September 20, 2021, 02:37:44 PM »

Watchmen (TV show) has the big squid from the comics happen in the 80s, and has a dictatorial undemocratic left wing government under Robert Redford in his third term and heading for his fourth today

Mr Robot implies 9/11 never happened, but the big bank wipe that happens early S1 did instead

e: Oh yeah, a plot point in The Boys is 9/11 never happened, but terrorists took out Brooklyn Bridge

Excellent response, thank you!

I forgot about Watchmen somehow, good pick.

I didn't pick up on that in Mr. Robot but it does explain some things.

Didn't know that about The Boys, interesting.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #39535 on: September 20, 2021, 04:48:40 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #39536 on: September 21, 2021, 06:35:36 PM »
DUNE is a cinematic triumph

I needed a film like this so much :rejoice
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #39537 on: September 22, 2021, 07:23:37 AM »
When is DUNE part 2  ???

🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #39539 on: September 23, 2021, 10:45:52 PM »
Heading in to watch Shang-Chi with my daughter.

Ok, my thoughts
so first act was amazing. Great action, best fight scenes in a Marvel flick and some fun comedy and some of the most grounded characters (not sure why they felt the need to make Awkwafina some super smart whatever person though. Why couldn't she just be a nobody?). Second act was a chore with lots of "and then this happened" and I have no idea what the point of Iron Man 3 Mandarin being in there was. Third act was standard Marvel fare with meaningless fights against giant existence-threatening enemies that felt anything but existence-threatening.
[close]
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 05:52:15 AM by Potato »
Spud