Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4189459 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: The new and improved "Movies you've seen recently" thread
« Reply #20340 on: July 06, 2014, 06:07:56 PM »
I really didn't like Iron Sky.
dog

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #20341 on: July 06, 2014, 06:37:57 PM »
R100 - it's The Game by the director of Big Man Japan.  It's...fucking weird as shit
Tonya

Tasty

« Reply #20342 on: July 06, 2014, 06:40:35 PM »
I love The Game. Never heard of Big Man Japan.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #20343 on: July 06, 2014, 06:42:19 PM »
R100 - it's The Game by the director of Big Man Japan.  It's...fucking weird as shit

Hitoshi Matsumoto is my favorite Japanese comedian. He's a genius, and it really comes through in his long-form stuff like this.

The work he did in Gottsu EE Kanji is so groundbreaking and crazy. The PTA "lobby" was all over him for questionable content during prime-time TV. I have the whole series, pirated, on DVD.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #20344 on: July 06, 2014, 06:44:25 PM »
star trek 6 was legit good.

30 mins into the the raid 2;  fuck wow.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #20346 on: July 06, 2014, 09:26:35 PM »
raid 2; good not as good as the first.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The story is actually well done.  If you removed all the fighting it gets close to being a good movie on its own which isn't something I can say of any marshal arts movie outside of Jackie Chan ones.

The fight scenes are less well done this time.  Not sure why; they had a more jankey flow.  Less gun fights too.  Also the the main character getting hurt seems way more unreal this time.  It like 30 seconds of wincing then back to top notch fighting where as the last movie you could see he was totally run down by the end.  The hammer/baseball bat duo is totally anime.

I liked that they made mad dog a sympathetic character.  Was sad that his brother was hardly in it.
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #20347 on: July 06, 2014, 09:43:22 PM »
Chronicle

Absolutely loved it. Shame Fox rejected Max Landis' idea for the sequel ("Martyr") about a villainess that martyred herself to be the first villain (presumably to bring heroes together?)

Weird that the director of this is doing the Fantastic Four reboot. Don't know if skeptical anymore.

etiolate

« Reply #20348 on: July 07, 2014, 04:58:42 AM »
Just watched the Extended Edition of Iron Sky. Loved it. The special effect action shots somehow pulled off more oomph than a lot of stuff I've seen lately despite the low budget b-movie status of the film.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #20349 on: July 07, 2014, 06:26:58 AM »

Hitoshi Matsumoto is my favorite Japanese comedian. He's a genius, and it really comes through in his long-form stuff like this.

The work he did in Gottsu EE Kanji is so groundbreaking and crazy. The PTA "lobby" was all over him for questionable content during prime-time TV. I have the whole series, pirated, on DVD.

I've only seen this (which is hilarious and weird) and Big Man Japan (which is hilarious and weird).  I'm really not super familiar w/ him outside of that
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #20350 on: July 07, 2014, 06:29:18 AM »
Oh, also watched the new About Last Night and found it to be hilarious, though many many many many many things in the movie happen because the script needs them to happen rather than flowing organically from the characters.  still funny as hell though
Tonya

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #20351 on: July 07, 2014, 10:36:17 AM »
The Raid 2

Ambitious but pretty bloated
Fantastic fight sequences, but some start to get repetitive.
Too many characters that the movie has no idea what to do with. (IG, Koso, the three thugs for Bejo, Eka)
Storyline is pretty easy to follow thankfully for how overcomplicated it tries to be.
Movie drags in the first 3rd. Picks up in the middle and last act. From the big car chase/fight action sequence on to the end is pretty incredible.
nat

Tasty

« Reply #20352 on: July 07, 2014, 11:14:12 AM »
Much Ado About Nothing (Whedon Ver.)

The most perfect representation of Shakespeare I've ever seen. Takes a huge steamy dump on Baz Luhrmann's flashy, messy crap.

Some of it didn't jive 100% with modern stuff, like Hero not being a virgin being a HUGE DEALBREAKER OMG, and everyone getting married in, like, a day, but still. Super entertaining. Fillion and Tom Lenk were unexpectedly fantastic as a buddy cop duo, I want a TV show of just that now.

Stoner Guy from Cabin in the Woods showed a surprising amount of range here, too.

Tasty

Re: The Movie News Topic
« Reply #20353 on: July 07, 2014, 12:01:20 PM »

:hyper

First trailer was way better.
[close]
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 11:23:59 PM by Tasty Meat »

Tasty

« Reply #20354 on: July 07, 2014, 02:51:42 PM »
Ugh they pulled this shit with the first trailer too. Up and down, up and down, all day when it was released.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #20355 on: July 07, 2014, 09:01:15 PM »
Cannibal Holocaust

I gave into my curiosity and watched it for what I expected to be purely academic reasons, but I ended up thinking it wasn't too bad. This movie took exploitation about as far as it could go, and it told its story in a way that was completely unique for its time. The animal violence was really disturbing, but I guess that was the point.

Also, what an amazing theme:

zzzzz

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #20356 on: July 07, 2014, 09:15:19 PM »
I saw that movie in a theatre. :yuck

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #20357 on: July 07, 2014, 11:02:45 PM »
I saw that movie in a theatre. :yuck

Did you get laid that night?
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #20358 on: July 07, 2014, 11:11:21 PM »
Speed Racer

Great movie. I hated the way they did flashbacks though, so clunky. Mathew Fox easily steals the show. WE HAVE TO GO BACK, SPEED!

The final race was some motherfucking HYPE.

I have to admit if I paid super close attention for more than a minute I would start to get proto-nauseous though. Even still,  the effects amazed me from start and end. The zooms were pretty freaking great.

Aside from The Matrix Revolutions, the Wachowskis have yet to let me down.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #20359 on: July 07, 2014, 11:20:35 PM »
Did you get laid that night?

I wish, I bet it'd have been some fucked up sex. :noah

Tasty

« Reply #20360 on: July 07, 2014, 11:23:44 PM »
UGH

Fixed. AGAIN

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #20361 on: July 07, 2014, 11:47:29 PM »
Speed Racer

Great movie. I hated the way they did flashbacks though, so clunky. Mathew Fox easily steals the show. WE HAVE TO GO BACK, SPEED!

The final race was some motherfucking HYPE.

I have to admit if I paid super close attention for more than a minute I would start to get proto-nauseous though. Even still,  the effects amazed me from start and end. The zooms were pretty freaking great.

Aside from The Matrix Revolutions, the Wachowskis have yet to let me down.

Space Racer was the Bore MOTY 2008, IIRC.

Not like anything else good came out that year. Slumdog Millionaire, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Dark Knight?  :comeon
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 11:49:49 PM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #20362 on: July 08, 2014, 12:33:28 AM »
___

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #20363 on: July 08, 2014, 12:39:23 AM »
umm, Hellboy 2
nat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20364 on: July 08, 2014, 12:42:46 AM »
Could be the greatest comic book movie ever.
dog

Himu

« Reply #20365 on: July 08, 2014, 12:45:38 AM »
i don't want to spoil myself with awesome so i'll wait for release
IYKYK

cool breeze

« Reply #20366 on: July 08, 2014, 12:53:06 AM »
 glenn close best character

Tasty

« Reply #20367 on: July 08, 2014, 01:24:19 PM »
Could be the greatest comic book movie ever.

Spider-Man 2 just turned 10, breh :aah

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #20368 on: July 08, 2014, 01:53:29 PM »
question: the new planet of the apes movies, are they in the same universe as the old ones or is this a complete new universe? (my gut says same)

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #20369 on: July 08, 2014, 01:56:00 PM »
The only reason I ask is because the naming convention is the same as the movies in the 1970s. also would be cool to know so I can keep an eye out for easter eggs

EDIT:

« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 01:57:31 PM by Momo »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #20370 on: July 08, 2014, 01:57:16 PM »
Can't really be the same. Cezar's origin and life are completely different in the original movies.

Tasty

« Reply #20371 on: July 08, 2014, 02:42:28 PM »
I also believe that Dawn (new series #2) will show a different monkey-takeover than Battle (original series #5.)

And yeah, Conquest (original series #4) completely clashes with Rise (new series #1.) Aside from being set in 1991, there wasn't a virus in Rise that killed all cats and dogs.

Rise does reference Planet of the Apes (original series #1, not the 2001 one-off reboot) with Icarus taking off for Mars and getting "lost" in space, but that could be to set up a future film. Or it's just a nice reference for fans.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 02:44:23 PM by Tasty Meat »

Kara

« Reply #20372 on: July 08, 2014, 02:49:13 PM »
My favorite thing about collateral is that the Los Angeles subway features prominently in it when the Los Angeles subway is virtually irrelevant to anyone who isn't part of downtown / downtown yuppie gentrification.  :lol

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20373 on: July 08, 2014, 02:50:41 PM »
Rise and Dawn are essentially remakes of Conquest and Battle, but with a ton of changes. So, I think it's safe to assume that they aren't meant to be the same universe.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #20375 on: July 08, 2014, 07:02:18 PM »
My favorite thing about collateral is that the Los Angeles subway features prominently in it when the Los Angeles subway is virtually irrelevant to anyone who isn't part of downtown / downtown yuppie gentrification.  :lol

Paid promotional consideration?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #20376 on: July 08, 2014, 10:27:30 PM »
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Dwayne-Johnson-Looking-Launch-Yet-Another-Franchise-With-Robert-Ludlum-Janson-Derivative-43800.html

The studio is now in talks with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson to star in an adaptation of Ludlum's novel The Janson Directive.

Yet another Jason Bourne movie, known now as Bourne 5 starring Jeremy Renner, isn't scheduled to come out until 2016, but it and The Jason Derivative aren't the only two Ludlum adaptations currently in the works.

Apparently one of these is the title of the movie.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #20377 on: July 09, 2014, 12:47:31 PM »

Warwick Davis has been replaced by Hornswoggle.  :gurl
©@©™

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #20378 on: July 09, 2014, 02:13:32 PM »
http://www.mtv.com/news/1859692/guardians-of-the-galaxy-soundtrack/

Spotify playlist at the link

1. Blue Swede - Hooked on a Feeling
 2. Raspberries - Go All the Way
 3. Norman Greenbaum - Spirit in the Sky
 4. David Bowie - Moonage Daydream
 5. Elvin Bishop - Fooled Around and Fell in Love
 6. 10Cc - I'm Not in Love
 7. Jackson 5 - I Want You Back
 8. Redbone - Come and Get Your Love
 9. The Runaways - Cherry Bomb
 10. Rupert Holmes - Escape (The Pina Colada Song)
 11. The Five Stairsteps - O-O-H Child
 12. Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell - Ain't No Mountain High Enough
[close]

WDW

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #20379 on: July 10, 2014, 01:46:52 AM »
Cherry Bomb was sooo fucking good in that trailer
___

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #20380 on: July 10, 2014, 02:05:35 AM »
Can't really be the same. Cezar's origin and life are completely different in the original movies.
Yeah I havent watched any of the new ones, so I thought before I go in i'd find out if they were related

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #20381 on: July 10, 2014, 02:15:32 AM »
Rise and Dawn are essentially remakes of Conquest and Battle, but with a ton of changes. So, I think it's safe to assume that they aren't meant to be the same universe.
I also believe that Dawn (new series #2) will show a different monkey-takeover than Battle (original series #5.)

And yeah, Conquest (original series #4) completely clashes with Rise (new series #1.) Aside from being set in 1991, there wasn't a virus in Rise that killed all cats and dogs.

Rise does reference Planet of the Apes (original series #1, not the 2001 one-off reboot) with Icarus taking off for Mars and getting "lost" in space, but that could be to set up a future film. Or it's just a nice reference for fans.
Thanks broskis

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #20382 on: July 10, 2014, 01:50:38 PM »
Thief is pretty great too, its practically a prequel for De Niro's Heat character, and it has some of the best hard boiled dialog of Mann's whole career.

so, as it turns out, Snowpiercer is good.  Whew, that had me worried for a bit.  After Park Chan-Wook and Kim Jee-Woon turned in English language films that were solid, if not spectacular, here's Bong Joon-Ho to come to the rescue and make a pretty terrific movie that's largely shot in a language the director himself wouldn't understand.  That's no mean feat, but even though its a bigger scale then any of his previous films, its not quite the epic that its premise promises it would be.  Lower class dudes on back of a train revolt from upper class peeps keeping them down, fight their way to the front, that's it.  That's the plot.  But since the events are so segmented (with every new car they enter, the rebellion learns something or encounters a new danger) the scale is kept intimate.  As big as the stakes are (post apocalypse, humanity's last survivors fighting amongst themselves), what transpires remains a story about simple, relatable motivations for a handful of characters.  Its a small story on a big stage.  And it finds ample time for weirdly, distinctly black South Korean humor, lots of bloody action scenes, and a malleable and nuanced take on man's inhumanity to man and movies in general.

I really liked it, and its apiece with the rest of Joon-Ho's already excellent career.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 03:52:54 PM by HyperZoneWasAwesome »

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #20383 on: July 10, 2014, 03:56:29 PM »
here's Bong Joon-Ho to come to the rescue and make a pretty terrific movie that's largely shot in a language the director himself wouldn't understand.  That's no mean feat
well shit.  Good picks though.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #20384 on: July 10, 2014, 07:32:24 PM »
i've heard mostly bad things about Snowpiercer so I had low expectations but once i settled into the world and the story, i was engaged till the very end. it felt like a Terry Gilliam film through and through, with its stunning visuals, excellent use of sets, the stark contrast between the working class and the rich, the audacity of the whole thing and it has one added perk that I can't recall any Gilliam film having, great action set pieces. like hyper said, the story is simple, the motives are clear, the characters are relatable and the stage is large with an added bonus of Korean dark comedy.

going through that train was easily one of the best adventures i've experienced in quite awhile.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 07:34:15 PM by TEEEPO »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #20385 on: July 10, 2014, 07:38:51 PM »
fuck it.  imma go watch it this weekend

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20386 on: July 10, 2014, 09:04:08 PM »
i've heard mostly bad things about Snowpiercer so I had low expectations

???

Snowpiercer received high praise from virtually every media outlet:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/snowpiercer/
dog

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #20387 on: July 10, 2014, 09:08:09 PM »
EricP said it was the biggest piece of shit he's seen this year. 

That's an exaggeration.  I think he said he wasn't impressed
[close]

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #20388 on: July 10, 2014, 09:29:11 PM »
It was ok, but it was way too long for what you get.

cut about a half hour and it could have been great.  I think that the whole ALL KOREAN FILMS MUST BE TWO HOURS LONG AT LEAST thing came into play here

but i also liked Godzilla, so you know.
Tonya

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20389 on: July 10, 2014, 11:59:59 PM »
dog

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #20390 on: July 11, 2014, 12:23:17 AM »
i've heard mostly bad things about Snowpiercer so I had low expectations

???

Snowpiercer received high praise from virtually every media outlet:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/snowpiercer/

you might not believe this, but i don't visit metacritic or rottentomatoes often

and the imdb rating is pretty low in comparison to its freshness/metacritic score

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20391 on: July 11, 2014, 12:46:59 AM »
A 7.0 on IMDB isn't really that low when you consider that all but the top 3 movie of all time [according to IMDB users] score below a 9.
dog

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #20392 on: July 11, 2014, 01:03:41 AM »
Snowpiercer is a great movie with many well respected actors and one genuine worldwide movie star, fantastic set design and good special effects, and a bunch of bloody, well made, and impactful action scenes.

Despite all those qualities it will never be and was never going to be an American mainstream hit.  It keeps the jarring tonal shifts of all of Bong's (and Korean cinema in general) past works and has enough genuinely disturbing violence to disqualify it from mainstream acceptance.  There's also the super-bleak comedy and complete lack of unnecessary exposition (this happened because of this, now we'll do this) that would further placate the meat and potatoes crowd.  Its the least audience friendly pseudo-wannabe-blockbuster since Drive, which the masses rejected soundly while lots of enthusiasts loved.

so yeah, I'm not surprised if more people don't cotton to Snowpiercer (low IMDB or Cinemascore).  I sure as heck liked it an awful lot, but my tastes don't speak for everyone.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #20393 on: July 11, 2014, 01:33:12 AM »
A 7.0 on IMDB isn't really that low when you consider that all but the top 3 movie of all time [according to IMDB users] score below a 9.

Yeah, what's up with IMDB users' votes? They're like total elitist dickheads.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #20394 on: July 12, 2014, 01:50:28 AM »
The Road

Eh. Kind of a slog. Why was the kid such a dink? He was born after the apocalypse. Shouldn't he be even less fazed by the grim world of the future than his father? It's all he's ever known.
zzzzz

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #20395 on: July 13, 2014, 10:32:51 AM »
Rewatched Heat. The best parts of The Dark Knight were lifted right from this film. There's really no reason to watch those movies.

There's a reason Heat is one of my favorite movies of all time. If you're looking for another Michael Mann movie, I recommend Collateral.

I miss Michael Mann, his last movie was the lackluster Public Enemies. And he's been gone for too long  :'(

I loved Collateral and really enjoyed Public Enemies. I don't remember liking Miami Vice but maybe it deserves a rewatch. He's got something coming out next year with Thor in it.
Miami Vice is a collection of tv-show-like scenes strung together with little regard for narrative structure. I'm a big fan of Mann, but there was no point in having him go back to it.

The Road

Eh. Kind of a slog. Why was the kid such a dink? He was born after the apocalypse. Shouldn't he be even less fazed by the grim world of the future than his father? It's all he's ever known.
The book actually covers that to some degree. I've not yet seen the movie, but intend to.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20396 on: July 13, 2014, 07:09:44 PM »
So...the new Transformers movie has already made over $260 million in China, putting it ahead of the previous record-holder [Avatar, $204 million]. And it pulled down those number in just a little over two weeks.

:goty
dog

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #20397 on: July 14, 2014, 12:57:38 AM »
Thought Snowpiercer was completely weird, uneven and all over the place and also totally engaging and worth watching.
nat

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #20398 on: July 14, 2014, 10:53:34 AM »
The first shot from the new Star Wars movie was leaked...

:hyper

http://i.imgur.com/HHm037e.jpg

:teehee
[close]
WTF

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #20399 on: July 14, 2014, 07:25:33 PM »
Wet Hot American Summer. Why isn't this brought up in early aughts parody movie discussions? Genuinely funnier and smarter than the majority of parody movies I've seen.

Part of what made the viewing experience so great was knowing that 75% of the main cast blew up within the next decade, even H. Jon Benjamin showed up as the fucking vegetable can :heh. Holy fuck Detective Stabler crushed it, stole every scene he was in, easily my favorite performance. Not a big fan of Paul Rudd but I feel he was in his element here as an irredeemable asshole, so he's straight with me. Marguerite Moreau :leon, fuck happened to her? That girl in David Hyde Pierce's group with the Cure t-shirt looked so familiar, would've guessed it was a young Lizzy Caplan, turns out it's some chick I've never heard of.

Scene where they go into town to get trashed is great. Phone scene was great. Training montage was great. Molly Shannon getting relationship advice from her small group was great (it's kind of a beaten horse at this point, but you def couldn't get away with her and that other chick hooking up with those kids these days). Ragtag bunch of misfits scene was great. And finally, the stinger fucking killed me.

movie gets 7/10 jake's, would make my friends watch it all the way through despite not vibing at all with the humor