Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4182628 times)

Tasty

Re: The Movie News Topic
« Reply #20760 on: August 04, 2014, 11:29:55 PM »
From all accounts F4 seems like a joke movie to keep the rights, like the 90's version.

Sinister Six will probably be good, Drew Goddard's involved. :aah Can't speak for his Alias run, but his eps of Buffy, Angel, and Lost (not to mention Cabin in the Woods) are all absolute gold. Probably Whedon's best protege.

For the main series, Sony should Days of Future Past that shit up and having Tobyman and Garfieldman meet.

Tasty

« Reply #20761 on: August 04, 2014, 11:33:31 PM »
I also expect F4 to be a big bust.

As long as I get to see Kate Mara's big bust :drool

Quaker

« Reply #20762 on: August 04, 2014, 11:53:06 PM »
From all accounts F4 seems like a joke movie to keep the rights, like the 90's version.
Are there really accounts of this? The movie apparently wrapped a few days ago but I haven't heard anything about it aside from nerds shitting their pants in anger because they cast Wallace as the Human Torch. Chronicle was a pretty good stealth Western take on Akira or whatever and the cast is legit so I hope F.F. isn't complete dogshit.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #20763 on: August 04, 2014, 11:55:07 PM »
I've long thought that if Sony wanted some of that Avengers style cheddar they should do movies about Spider-Man Noir, Spider-Man 2099, and Ultimate Spider-Man (Miles Morales) and then have them all team up in a Shattered Dimensions type movie.
WDW

G The Resurrected

« Reply #20764 on: August 05, 2014, 12:03:26 AM »
There''s no reason that Sony and Fox shouldn't be trying to have supporting movies in the marvel mega universe. If they want the cheddar they gotta learn to play together or not at all. Cause sooner or later the mega universe is going to eclipse their pursuits and make them the laughing stock of the superhero movie genre if they haven't already yet.

Tasty

« Reply #20765 on: August 05, 2014, 12:09:02 AM »
Are there really accounts of this? The movie apparently wrapped a few days ago but I haven't heard anything about it aside from nerds shitting their pants in anger because they cast Wallace as the Human Torch. Chronicle was a pretty good stealth Western take on Akira or whatever and the cast is legit so I hope F.F. isn't complete dogshit.

Well I mean, they just wrapped and there wasn't a single peep at fucking Comic-Con. No panel, no teaser, no castmembers. Honestly the entire shoot felt like it was in stealth mode. And there's what, 10 months until the release date? Christ.

I mean, they have recognizable actors, Trank as you said is good (if somewhat unproven), Kinberg and Vaughn are of course good but... I'm not expecting a good movie out of this at all.

G The Resurrected

Re: The new and improved "Movies you've seen recently" thread
« Reply #20766 on: August 05, 2014, 12:09:35 AM »
Saw that new James Gunn movie everyone is talking about. I didn't expect it to be that good, but somehow it turned out to be something rather special. Screw the haters that don't get that the movie is basically a love song to the 80's generations. The movie also had some rather touching moments especially with Groot. For a hot second I saw a glimpse of the Iron Giant in Groot, and for good reason because Vin Diesel played both characters (which I didn't know at the time) oh and the music was awesome sauce. I loved that he opened up the gift to see vol 2 which knowing that Gunn is working on GotG2 is very fitting.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The bioluminescent scene where he lights up the room was rather beautiful.
[close]
Bonus scene/End Credit
HOWARD THE FUCKING DUCK!!! YEAH FUCK YEAH. Disney allowed it and he's now in the perfect universe for him to be in.
[close]

Quaker

« Reply #20767 on: August 05, 2014, 12:19:06 AM »
I remember production on First Class being fast-tracked too. Wikipedia says they hired Matthew Vaughn in May, principal photography began on August 31 and that movie was out the following June.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #20768 on: August 05, 2014, 12:25:07 AM »
I took the kids tonight to see GotG. I didn't really see it as an 80's movie, it was more an homage to The Fifth Element than anything else. The loud colors and bold art design, the humor, the super woman/reluctant hero dynamic.

It was really, really good and should have longer legs than most Marvel movies due to the vibrancy and humor.

I had the strangest nerd boner for Nebula (the blue daughter).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 12:33:04 AM by ToxicAdam »

cool breeze

« Reply #20769 on: August 05, 2014, 12:50:02 AM »
Amazing Spider-Man 3 got booted from 2016 to 2018.  Also, the horribad writing team signed to it seem to have left.  I question if Sony can salvage this whole thing, but I can't imagine any other option.  Another reboot would be DC levels of silliness.

I read that the Venom movie (why) is called VENOM CARNAGE.  Sony "fuck.everything"

Bright side sony is so desperate they're making a female-led comic movie.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #20770 on: August 05, 2014, 01:10:55 AM »
Eastern Promises. If every movie involved Viggo beating the shit outta dudes naked and chopping off body parts of cadavers before dumping them in the Thames I think I'd be ok with it. Loved the Godfather-isms, loved Nikolai's cold, calculating character, loved the look into the mafiya (even if it felt too expositional), loved how the last act really ramped up the emotional tension, loved the visceral yet precise action and violence. Also, :heh @VincentCassel for being typecast as the piece of shit creepozoid, he pulls the role off really well though so :whoo at Maester Luwin.

9/10 jake's, would force my hypothetical children to watch in their infancy.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #20771 on: August 05, 2014, 02:01:15 AM »
The twists at the end of Eastern Promises. :lawd

The ending. :uguu

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #20772 on: August 05, 2014, 10:57:52 AM »
Eastern Promises is the shit.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #20773 on: August 05, 2014, 01:10:29 PM »
Eastern Promises
:rejoice

jakefromstatefarm: Pyp is in the movie too

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #20774 on: August 05, 2014, 02:23:27 PM »
For the main series, Sony should Days of Future Past that shit up and having Tobyman and Garfieldman meet.

乱学者

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #20775 on: August 05, 2014, 02:34:14 PM »
The twists at the end of Eastern Promises. :lawd
I feel like a total intellectual inferior because I didn't catch onto Nikolai being undercover earlier, I thought the shit they found on the washed up dead body was the sunflower seeds that Kirill spit onto him in the freezer. The tvtropes page just rubs it in
There are a couple of times when things in the Mafia's world are explained to either Nikolai or Anna. There's also the time when the senior officer spells out in great detail to any audience members who haven't got it yet that Nikolai is undercover, but since he does it in a tone that suggests he's quoting his own officially-worded orders, he gets away with it.
:tocry
[close]
jakefromstatefarm: Pyp is in the movie too

Tasty

« Reply #20776 on: August 05, 2014, 02:53:20 PM »
I was gonna throw Donald Glover in there as Miles but Sony would assuredly hold him back until Days of Spideys Past 2.

Tasty

« Reply #20777 on: August 05, 2014, 03:03:12 PM »
:drool

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #20778 on: August 05, 2014, 03:16:04 PM »
I was gonna throw Donald Glover in there as Miles but Sony would assuredly hold him back until Days of Spideys Past 2.
:beli

cool breeze

« Reply #20779 on: August 05, 2014, 03:16:33 PM »
be real, if you get miles it'll be will smith jr or something.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #20780 on: August 05, 2014, 03:18:24 PM »
I could see Will Smith just buying the rights to Spiderman just for that.

G The Resurrected

« Reply #20781 on: August 05, 2014, 03:26:24 PM »
I could see Will Smith just buying the rights to Spiderman just for that.

Oh god why?!?! I think someone had to realise that his kid is untalented somewhere right?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #20782 on: August 05, 2014, 04:05:44 PM »
Ya his dad sees it;  why do you think he would have to buy the rights?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #20783 on: August 05, 2014, 09:53:19 PM »

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #20784 on: August 06, 2014, 03:44:17 PM »
Guardians of The Galaxy

Loki - > Ronan
Tesseract - > The Orb
New York - > Xandar

I liked it, but if this is Marvel "doing something different" then lol
zzzzz

ToxicAdam

« Reply #20785 on: August 06, 2014, 03:55:58 PM »
Loki->Dr. Octopus
Tesseract->Tritium
New York->New York City

I think we're cracking the code here!

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #20786 on: August 06, 2014, 04:07:07 PM »
Loki->Dr. Octopus
Tesseract->Tritium
New York->New York City

I think we're cracking the code here!

Yes, I realize centering a story around a MacGuffin isn't a new concept. GotG still follows the story beats of The Avengers almost identically . They hate each other! Then they don't! Then they get split up! Then they beat the  bad guy with true teamwork. Not exactly revolutionary, but when everyone's singing its praises as a brave step for the studio I'm a little confused.
zzzzz

ToxicAdam

« Reply #20787 on: August 06, 2014, 04:11:20 PM »
I was going to mention in the GAF thread, when people were complaining about all the Marvel movies and how they suck. They have kind of filled the void of the action hero genre that died out years ago. You can draw a through line from Buck Rogers>John Wayne>Clint Eastwood>Stallone> Schwarz> dead era > Marvel Movies

Yes, I realize centering a story around a MacGuffin isn't a new concept. GotG still follows the story beats of The Avengers almost identically . They hate each other! Then they don't! Then they get split up! Then they beat the  bad guy with true teamwork. Not exactly revolutionary, but when everyone's singing its praises as a brave step for the studio I'm a little confused.

I think most of the gushing praise comes from the fact that this summer's movies have been underwhelming and someone actually made an enjoyable movie out of a comic/properrty that 99.5% of the population had never heard of.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 04:17:31 PM by ToxicAdam »

ToxicAdam

« Reply #20788 on: August 06, 2014, 04:16:37 PM »
I don't really think of any of those franchises as defining the male movie watching experience for the past few decades. Maybe Fast and the Furious.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #20789 on: August 06, 2014, 04:19:15 PM »
I think most of the gushing praise comes from the fact that this summer's movies have been underwhelming and someone actually made an enjoyable movie out of a comic that 99.5% of the population had never heard of.

Fair. I guess I'm just getting a little worn out on Marvel. Their franchises are all starting to overlap in my mind.
zzzzz

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #20790 on: August 06, 2014, 04:20:03 PM »
I've mentioned it before but for me personally I just can't watch anymore big budget super hero movies. I'm just done with it. And that was years ago. I'm sure there are certainly good ones but I've seen too many that follow the same blueprint to care anymore. The genre is just tired and over-satured at the moment

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #20791 on: August 06, 2014, 04:21:00 PM »
Yeah I think that's where I'm at.
zzzzz

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20792 on: August 06, 2014, 04:39:30 PM »
Guardians of The Galaxy

Loki - > Ronan
Tesseract - > The Orb
New York - > Xandar

I liked it, but if this is Marvel "doing something different" then lol

Ronan -> Darth Vader
The Orb -> The Death Star
New York -> Alderan
dog

ToxicAdam

« Reply #20793 on: August 06, 2014, 04:43:08 PM »
Yea, I let critical acclaim guide me into what to watch. I ignore all the nerdlings that gush over everything and pay more attention to the mainstream critics. That's why there was a huge gap in what I paid to see from X-men 2 all the way until Avengers.

People say TDK was amazing, but I'm just too bored with Batman to ever check it out.

cool breeze

« Reply #20794 on: August 06, 2014, 04:43:48 PM »
I've mentioned it before but for me personally I just can't watch anymore big budget super hero movies. I'm just done with it. And that was years ago. I'm sure there are certainly good ones but I've seen too many that follow the same blueprint to care anymore. The genre is just tired and over-satured at the moment

the good news is that WB just announced 12 DC movies coming in the next couple years.  and marvel is moving to 3 movies a year.  and sony wants to make yearly spider-man movies.  and fox is doing yearly comic book movies, too.  at least you'll be saving some money...which can be spent on the yearly Avatar and Star Wars movies!

seriously though it depends on the movie.  as much as I talk about this stuff over here, I probably won't see half of these movies.  like I never want to see another thor movie ever again. can't imagine spending $10+ on ant man or the fantastic four.  and I still think we'll get stuff like edge of tomorrow alongside all these movies.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #20795 on: August 06, 2014, 04:47:14 PM »
Edge of Tomorrow :noah
zzzzz

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #20796 on: August 06, 2014, 06:12:11 PM »
Guys, its not like comic book movies are a new thing.  They have been dominating box offices for nearly 15 years now.
püp

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #20797 on: August 06, 2014, 06:59:22 PM »
Someone should make a comic book movie thread, since that's 95% of the talk in here.
vin

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #20798 on: August 06, 2014, 07:20:28 PM »
Your mistake is thinking this isn't the comic book movie thread.  The other thread is 20 pages down.

cool breeze

« Reply #20799 on: August 06, 2014, 07:29:37 PM »
if the comic movie talk is annoying I'll ease up on it.  already decided I won't watch Step Up All In instead of not watching the turtle movie.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #20800 on: August 06, 2014, 07:46:46 PM »
We talked about another movie (just 1 movie, not an entire genre) in 5 posts on this page. A movie that isn't even a recent release.

Kara

« Reply #20801 on: August 06, 2014, 08:37:58 PM »
There's a movie character whose dying words are, "I would have liked to have seen Montana," (their dream was to move to Montana). Shit's still hilarious to me, despite time and frequency of viewings. :lol

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #20802 on: August 06, 2014, 08:43:33 PM »
Hunt for the Red October :rock
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #20803 on: August 06, 2014, 08:48:11 PM »
Ya the ford boldwin clancy movies were great.  The new one was pretty mediocre. 

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20804 on: August 06, 2014, 08:48:22 PM »
Let's talk about 2014's movie of the year:

dog

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #20805 on: August 06, 2014, 08:49:37 PM »
avatar 2,3,and 4 coming. I thought I posted something about this.  ugg.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20806 on: August 06, 2014, 08:54:20 PM »
Avatar 2 is scheduled for a December 2016 release, Avatar 3 and Avatar 4 are scheduled for release in 2017 and 2018.

:heh
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #20807 on: August 06, 2014, 08:54:28 PM »
avatar 2,3,and 4 coming. I thought I posted something about this.  ugg.

never_asked_for_this.jpg
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #20808 on: August 06, 2014, 08:57:55 PM »
I did! Can't wait! :troll
IYKYK

Kara

« Reply #20809 on: August 06, 2014, 09:13:05 PM »
Hunt for the Red October :rock

Love that flick and I don't care who knows. Such a "goes down smooth" political thriller. :aah

(The Ford Clancy flicks aren't as easy to stomach because of their subject matter.)

"I thought I heard... singing sir."

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #20810 on: August 06, 2014, 10:09:26 PM »
After seeing the commercials for the new Turtles film, I'm starting to look forward to it. Visually it seems to looks nice at least, hopefully it'll have some good fight scenes.

you know im actually not sure if this is the right thread to post something like this in.
Boo

Himu

« Reply #20811 on: August 06, 2014, 10:12:07 PM »
Looks terrible and nothing but non stop action.
IYKYK

cool breeze

« Reply #20812 on: August 06, 2014, 10:19:36 PM »
Ya the ford boldwin clancy movies were great.  The new one was pretty mediocre.

yeah I saw jack ryan shadow recruit on a flight and fell asleep.  too boring to be an action movie, and too much action to be a jack ryan movie.  all I really remember is keira knightley american accent.

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #20813 on: August 06, 2014, 10:29:08 PM »

I think this might be pretty decent.
Boo

Himu

« Reply #20814 on: August 06, 2014, 10:31:34 PM »
Not bad.
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #20815 on: August 06, 2014, 10:36:48 PM »
What were you expecting, schindler's list?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #20816 on: August 06, 2014, 10:44:44 PM »
I think this might be pretty decent.

A little too decent.
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #20817 on: August 06, 2014, 10:46:59 PM »
The original movie barely has any action. Turtles isn't about action, though it often has action. Turtles is a mix of comedy, fun characters, the story of family, and butt kicking mutants. Distilling ninja turtles, a franchise that has tackled a whole range of cool, interesting stories into lol action seems like a disservice. Might as well make a spider-man movie that's only Spider-man fighting people. After all, it's not Schindlers list so story and characterization don't matter!

I fucking hate it any time a comic book movie or whatever comes out, and it's a bloody fight fest without staying true to the spirit of the original - and not in a nerdy NEEDS TO BE 100% ADAPTATION way either - some fucking moron says,"what were you expecting, Schlinder's List?" As if story and characterization are NOT inherently important aspects of comic books or comic book movies.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 10:52:45 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Kara

« Reply #20818 on: August 06, 2014, 10:52:13 PM »
Raphael's grief, guilt, displaced anger, and social isolation in the first Turtles movie. :lawd

Himu

« Reply #20819 on: August 06, 2014, 10:53:23 PM »
Was that a giant turtle in a trenchcoat?
IYKYK