Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4140775 times)

Himu

Re: The Movie News Topic
« Reply #20820 on: August 06, 2014, 11:00:33 PM »
I have no problem with it being for today's kids but I don't get why it can't be for today's adults as well? Oh well. Looks like a rental.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #20821 on: August 06, 2014, 11:06:51 PM »
Cause who cares? It always has been for kids, we were just kids when it got big. You can enjoy the new stuff, but it's definitely not for you anymore.

So you're saying a movie with a $125 million budget should just be for kids? And this makes financial sense, why exactly?
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: The new and improved "Movies you've seen recently" thread
« Reply #20822 on: August 06, 2014, 11:10:43 PM »
Hunt for the Red October :rock

Love that flick and I don't care who knows. Such a "goes down smooth" political thriller. :aah

(The Ford Clancy flicks aren't as easy to stomach because of their subject matter.)

"I thought I heard... singing sir."

Nothing to be ashamed of there. That one is remembered fondly.

Himu

« Reply #20823 on: August 06, 2014, 11:15:47 PM »
But nothing about this movie indicates it's *just* for kids when a large part of its marketing and content is aimed at nostalgia? So which is it? And properties like Avengers have shown that going just for kids is table scraps, financially.
IYKYK

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #20824 on: August 06, 2014, 11:42:21 PM »
Frozen made over a billion dollars worldwide.

Himu

« Reply #20825 on: August 06, 2014, 11:50:15 PM »
Yes, and it appealed to more than kids. The entire internet was talking about it. Or are you going to say Pixar movies are just for kids too now? Exodust's main point seems to be,"it's for kids so it's shit" when there are numerous kids or family films worth watching - Frozen being one of them. Being made for kids shouldn't be an excuse for lack of quality. But more than that, the movie rating is pg-13, the same rating for Expendables 3. Is that for kids? I'm not buying  "it's for todays' kids" as any argument at all.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #20826 on: August 06, 2014, 11:54:58 PM »
Saw Guradians today, was pleased overall. When I was a comic book nerd in the early-mid 90's, I was a big Infinity Watch fan, so seeing some of the characters from that actually in a movie was pretty nutso.
yar

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20827 on: August 07, 2014, 12:04:50 AM »
I don't mind that they change stuff. That's like...whatever. I do mind that they make abysmally bad movies out of them.
dog

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #20828 on: August 07, 2014, 12:05:35 AM »
Yeah, I don't expect TMNT to do as well as the Transformers movies for a bunch of reasons, but "they're disrespecting the legacy of a rich and layered IP" ain't one of them.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #20829 on: August 07, 2014, 12:17:55 AM »
They used an IP that was kicking around to make a pretty bog-standard popcorn flick and that'll succeed or fail based on how well it presents itself as the movie you should see this weekend.

I really don't know what greater TMNT zeitgeist your're looking for this movie to tap into...

edit: this was written with the thread unrefreshed and I don't even know who or what I'm replying to...

___

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #20830 on: August 07, 2014, 12:32:07 AM »
I'm 100% OK with saying Pixar movies are for kids.

Not even manchildren, kids.

Tasty

« Reply #20831 on: August 07, 2014, 01:16:12 AM »
I know I'm risking Borenihilation here, but I've never "gotten" TMNT. The entire concept seems stupid to me, and trying to make any kind of media out of it that's for people older than... 11? seems utterly fruitless.

I'm accepting of a lot of wacky ideas in fiction, but I've never been able to swallow what TMNT was trying to peddle.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #20832 on: August 07, 2014, 01:37:08 AM »
i dunno, that's kind of missing one of himu's points, though.  the main target is kids, but they're designed to appeal to the parents, too.

To me this is just good business. If I'm a breeder and I have to drag my genespawn to the motion picture show, I'm going to opt for the one with jokes I can laugh at instead of the one that offers me nothing but 2 hours in air conditioning.

Tasty

« Reply #20833 on: August 07, 2014, 01:44:05 AM »
If I'm a breeder and I have to drag my genespawn

:rofl

Himu

« Reply #20834 on: August 07, 2014, 02:16:56 AM »
i dunno, that's kind of missing one of himu's points, though.  the main target is kids, but they're designed to appeal to the parents, too.

To me this is just good business. If I'm a breeder and I have to drag my genespawn to the motion picture show, I'm going to opt for the one with jokes I can laugh at instead of the one that offers me nothing but 2 hours in air conditioning.

That was my initial argument. With stuff like avengers and frozen hitting the billions it doesn't make sense at all to just target kids.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #20835 on: August 07, 2014, 02:21:13 AM »
I know I'm one of the least nostalgic people around here, but TMNT is definitely one of those things that I liked as a kid and now have no interest in. There's a shit ton of 80's stuff like that- Transformers, He-Man, Thundercats, all that old shit. I can admit that stuff I liked as a kid is objectively bad, which to me is the case with all of those, and yes- turtles too.
yar

cool breeze

« Reply #20836 on: August 07, 2014, 02:33:56 AM »
I know I'm risking Borenihilation here, but I've never "gotten" TMNT. The entire concept seems stupid to me, and trying to make any kind of media out of it that's for people older than... 11? seems utterly fruitless.

I'm accepting of a lot of wacky ideas in fiction, but I've never been able to swallow what TMNT was trying to peddle.

were you old enough in the 90s to be into power rangers?

Tasty

« Reply #20837 on: August 07, 2014, 02:42:15 AM »
Yeah.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #20838 on: August 07, 2014, 02:52:33 AM »
The first TMNT movie is kinda dark if you go back to it like the apartment fight part.

Nobody posted the D.C./WB movie announcement?
Untitled DC Film - 08/05/16

Untitled DC Film - 06/23/17

Untitled DC Film - 11/17/17

Untitled DC Film - 03/23/18

Untitled DC Film - 07/27/18

Untitled WB Event Film - 11/16/18

Untitled DC Film - 04/05/19

Untitled DC Film - 06/14/19

Untitled DC Film - 04/03/20

Untitled DC Film - 06/19/20

Untitled WB Event Film - 11/20/20
I think they'll be okay, bad, decent, okay, really good, bad, horrible, best one, second best, boring, just weird, too serious.

Himu

« Reply #20839 on: August 07, 2014, 02:57:37 AM »

:lawd
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #20840 on: August 07, 2014, 03:07:32 AM »
Andrex you're lucky you didn't deal with the days when the intro looked better and had WAYYY better animation than the actual show.

IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #20841 on: August 07, 2014, 03:16:42 AM »
Andrex you're lucky you didn't deal with the days when the intro looked better and had WAYYY better animation than the actual show.

Lol. That was Pokemon until Advanced Generation.

It's VERY obvious when they cut in stuff from the actual show in this opening.

Even my cousin remarked how good the intros always were and how crappy the show actually looked. :lol

Himu

« Reply #20842 on: August 07, 2014, 03:21:55 AM »
Did Ash ever beat Gary? :rofl Ash is the worst main character ever.
IYKYK

Kara

« Reply #20843 on: August 07, 2014, 03:25:40 AM »
That was my initial argument. With stuff like avengers and frozen hitting the billions it doesn't make sense at all to just target kids.

It's not targeting so much as making it bearable for others.

And yes Andrex the idea of me being a breeder is hilarious.

Tasty

« Reply #20844 on: August 07, 2014, 03:29:49 AM »
Did Ash ever beat Gary? :rofl Ash is the worst main character ever.

This is going back a while but yeah I think he beat him in the Johto Conference (which he eventually ended up losing, of course.)

Ah, it's coming back to me. Ash's Charizard stopped being a jerkass and came back for this one fight. Shit was way more emotional than Optimus Prime's lame death brehs :tocry

One bit I liked about this is that Gary becomes a Pokemon Prof after losing, like his Grandpa. Good character development (by Pokemon standards, anyways.)

Kara

« Reply #20845 on: August 07, 2014, 03:37:07 AM »
Elysium - I can't believe cholos saved the world. :bow

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #20846 on: August 07, 2014, 06:37:07 AM »

I worked in a comic shop when the first issue came out, and later sold my #1 for a ridiculous amount when it hit big. I've also never understood why people liked this series so much but, as was stated, it was a product of its time. You had to be there to get it. In my case, I was there and still didn't get it. But at this point it's more about the nostalgia of kids-grown-tall who liked the animated show more than anything else, I think.

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #20847 on: August 07, 2014, 10:00:33 AM »
kind of want to see Step Up 5 just for a different kind of spectacle in 3D
Tonya

Himu

« Reply #20848 on: August 07, 2014, 10:14:10 AM »
Step it up is the movie to see obviously. *dances*
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #20849 on: August 07, 2014, 11:33:41 AM »
Guardians was a fun movie, but it felt really inconsistent and there were a lot of moments that were a complete buzzkill. Also a bit too much hugging and kissing friendship thrown in my face.

It was like a Tales game.

Friends <3
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 11:40:21 AM by demi »
fat

Tasty

« Reply #20850 on: August 07, 2014, 11:41:54 AM »
Yeah, Guardians was pretty good but I couldn't take any of the serious moments seriously since I expected it to break into a joke at any time. Not sure how it could be improved, but I do know there have been other movies that have a better balance of things.

Still probably my #2 movie this summer after Days of Future Past. If I had to rank them:

1. X-Men: Days of Future Past
2. Guardians of the Galaxy
3. Edge of Tomorrow
4. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
5. The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Damn I've seen some great movies this summer. :ohhh

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #20851 on: August 07, 2014, 01:37:56 PM »
The Step Up movies are hilariously awful.  I love watching each and every one of them. 

TMNT looks about as good as most 80's nostalgia fare to me.  I was never REALLY into them so maybe I'm not as picky about the style or universe.  The clip above made me want to see it more though.  I also like enjoy watching other Michael Bay movies.

So basically I have pretty bad taste and I am okay with that.  :yeshrug

Himu

« Reply #20852 on: August 07, 2014, 01:38:59 PM »
i wouldn't say bad taste at all. the clip made me want to see it more too. it's nice to actual character details in the clip.
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #20853 on: August 07, 2014, 01:39:51 PM »
:heartbeat

Quaker

« Reply #20854 on: August 07, 2014, 03:48:59 PM »
Elysium - I can't believe cholos saved the world. :bow
I'm still not sure if the character was written as a Mexican-ass Mexican and they awkwardly brute-forced Damon into the role for box office considerations or if they were playing with cultural roles/influence like Blade Runner's L.A./Hong Kong mashup.

Yeah, the story was silly and didactic and didn't make sense and the bad guy was super over-the-top but I was impressed by the visuals and it had some good hard-R action.

That part with the grenade and the reconstruction. :whoo
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 03:53:45 PM by Quaker »

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #20855 on: August 07, 2014, 04:19:41 PM »
Plus they brought back the Street Preacher from Johnny Mnemonic to play the villain. :lawd
vin

Kara

« Reply #20856 on: August 07, 2014, 04:31:21 PM »
Well the movie was more or less Johnny Mnemonic, but whatever kind of punk we have today instead of cyberpunk.

I wish Blomkamp would make one of his ruthless commentary movies but with something that actually happened / is currently happening instead of hiding it behind the veneer of science fiction, it lets people pretend the ugly truths he spits don't exist.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #20857 on: August 07, 2014, 04:33:50 PM »
Well the movie was more or less Johnny Mnemonic, but whatever kind of punk we have today instead of cyberpunk.

I think we're into postpostcyberpunk.
©@©™

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #20858 on: August 07, 2014, 04:43:59 PM »

I wish Blomkamp would make one of his ruthless commentary movies but with something that actually happened / is currently happening instead of hiding it behind the veneer of science fiction, it lets people pretend the ugly truths he spits don't exist.
So you wish he would make a movie no one would see :goty
vin

Tasty

« Reply #20859 on: August 07, 2014, 04:45:13 PM »

Nah, we're pre-postpostpostcyberpunk.

Tasty

« Reply #20860 on: August 07, 2014, 04:59:51 PM »
Did you see ASM2 Wrath?

Tasty

« Reply #20861 on: August 07, 2014, 05:09:32 PM »
I liked it. But there's a reason it was #5 out of 5.

Kara

« Reply #20862 on: August 07, 2014, 05:42:54 PM »

In trying to answer this question I now know that Wikipedia classifies cyberpunk as an avant-garde art movement. :heh

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:goty2
:what
:stahp
[close]
[close]
[close]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #20863 on: August 07, 2014, 09:37:56 PM »
Transformers 4; meh.  5 better have unicron in it.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #20864 on: August 07, 2014, 10:22:39 PM »
Also the action scenes were lazy this time and not sure how I feel about the increased chinese propaganda in hollywood action movies.  I'm predicting an Independence Day sequel subtitled as "National Day of the People's Republic of China"

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #20865 on: August 08, 2014, 05:34:06 PM »
A Most Wanted Man is a look at modern day espionage that's stately, mature, well performed, and just a bit dull.  Hoffman's great in it, but then that's to be expected.  Its best value may be as a welcome corrective to 24 and its ilk as a markedly less histrionic work about terrorism hunters in an urban/western setting.  Still, as a consequence of its relatively restrained plotting and dramatics, it never does escape the medium-simmer setting it seems dead set to stay on.

Of course, the other recent La Carre adaptation, Tinker Tailor etc., didn't have this problem.  But it had a much wider scope and more deeply felt characters (and a way more complicated plot).  This much more modest film has smaller goals and achieves them well.  Upon seeing it would you wish that it had more to offer or will you appreciate what's there?  That will be your decision.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #20866 on: August 08, 2014, 07:53:56 PM »
Finally got around to watching HUGO. I'll have to watch it again to appreciate the storytelling techniques and implications of the various scenes' construction. I could tell I was watching something layered and nuanced, but then Chloe Grace Moretz opens her mouth and it's like she's acting in a different movie from everyone else, except for possibly Sasha Baron Cohen, who was also hamming it up. My guess is, along with other directorial choices like having Ben Kingsley speak directly to the audience during the big reveal, that both Chloe's and Sasha's acting techniques are pointers to other eras of cinema, just as Georges Méliès' actors in his films employed exaggerated body language.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #20867 on: August 09, 2014, 11:57:00 AM »
Drinking whisky and watching Pacific Rim again. Hot damn this is a good movie. It's better on re-watching, so I'm going to fire it up again in 3~6 months, see if it's EVEN BETTER. It's melodramatic and messy and full of unlikely decisions... and still better than most of the anime on which it's based or paying tribute. It was also great to see human-on-human fight scenes which aren't shot with shaky-cam or edited so choppily that I can't tell what's happening. The drift-compatiblity bo-staff fights and the throw down with the Australian dickhead pilot were both great.

Kara

« Reply #20868 on: August 09, 2014, 12:15:26 PM »
A Most Wanted Man is a look at modern day espionage that's stately, mature, well performed, and just a bit dull.  Hoffman's great in it, but then that's to be expected.  Its best value may be as a welcome corrective to 24 and its ilk as a markedly less histrionic work about terrorism hunters in an urban/western setting.  Still, as a consequence of its relatively restrained plotting and dramatics, it never does escape the medium-simmer setting it seems dead set to stay on.

Of course, the other recent La Carre adaptation, Tinker Tailor etc., didn't have this problem.  But it had a much wider scope and more deeply felt characters (and a way more complicated plot).  This much more modest film has smaller goals and achieves them well.  Upon seeing it would you wish that it had more to offer or will you appreciate what's there?  That will be your decision.

Oh snap, I didn't know this was a le Carre joint. Get hype.

Have you seen the Tinker, Tailor mini? I feel like the movie wasn't a simmer because it crammed so much stuff into so little time. (e.g. The opening scene of the movie is more or less the entirety of the first episode of the mini.)

Smiley v. Karla :noah

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #20869 on: August 09, 2014, 07:19:59 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #20870 on: August 09, 2014, 11:19:30 PM »
Sharknado. It's free on Xbox Live to kick off Shark Week. For some reason Microsoft appears to have finally removed IP region restrictions from video content. I'm not sure if they did me a favor here or not. 87 minutes of nonsensical disaster film parody on The Asylum's budget... to call an Asylum budget "sparse" is to to call a bare, empty, unpainted, concrete-floored room "spartan." The theory is apparently to add any given effect in post: Sharks, floodwater, hurricanes, additional police cars, rain, blood, even night-time filters... amazing shoestring tricks.

Anyway, I laughed a lot.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #20871 on: August 09, 2014, 11:33:06 PM »
I like the part when they're in about 6 inches of water and there's sharks swimming around everywhere.

I believe that part was...90% of the movie.

©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #20872 on: August 10, 2014, 12:14:17 AM »
Yeah! 3 meter sharks, shown in stock footage in at least four meter deep water, and the heroes are wading around in a living room, looking panicked. Also, sharks ability to be vicious killers even while beached on land, or flung willy nilly through the air was admirable. It showed dedication to their lifestyle choices.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #20873 on: August 10, 2014, 03:27:31 AM »
Oh snap, I didn't know this was a le Carre joint. Get hype.

Have you seen the Tinker, Tailor mini? I feel like the movie wasn't a simmer because it crammed so much stuff into so little time. (e.g. The opening scene of the movie is more or less the entirety of the first episode of the mini.)
haven't, but as its an Alec Guiness led British TV production, I suppose I'll have to at some point.

and why yes, Smiley's People is one of my most anticipated film of sometime in the next decade, how did you know?  About A Most Wanted Man...
Its got a great, fantastically bleak ending that is by design, not at all satisfying.  It frustrates the audience a bit, sure, but it shatters all the characters in the film.  Its pretty dang definitive, even if you might really want just a few minutes more of screentime to suss things out.
[close]

in unrelated news, Donnie Yen's Special ID is on Netflix, and its the Donnie Yen-iest film to come out since the last time Donnie Yen Yenned up a flick.  As cinema its rudimentary, but for people hurting each other, its pretty solid.  Plus of course, an extra heavy helping of Donnie Yen, who's just the coolest guy who ever Donnie Yenned.

Kara

« Reply #20874 on: August 10, 2014, 03:49:04 AM »
It also has Patrick Stewart as Karla. :noah

So they're skipping The Honourable Schoolboy again? (The minis skipped it too, jumping straight from Tinker, Tailor to Smiley's People.) That's a bummer.

RE your spoiler: that's what I consume le Carre joints for. The end of Call for the Dead. :lawd :lawd :lawd

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #20875 on: August 10, 2014, 11:04:08 AM »
Yeah.... So I watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles last night with my son.  He liked it.  At least somebody did.

Wait for the DVD release, brehs.
WTF

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #20876 on: August 10, 2014, 02:29:38 PM »
I already watched that CG TMNT movie from the mid-aughts with Nolan North as Raphael, I think I'm pretty good on Turtle reboots still.
©@©™

« Reply #20877 on: August 10, 2014, 02:39:22 PM »
Saw Boyhood on Thursday night. Pretty impressive film considering how it was made. I've got a feeling a lot of it was improvised much like the Before Trilogy.
野球

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #20878 on: August 10, 2014, 02:43:04 PM »
Wait for the DVD release, brehs.

I liked TMNT as a kid.

Because I liked them as a kid, fuck no, not on DVD, not on cable, never.

Michael Ba-Ba-Sploom already wrecked Transformers, isn't that enough?

He didn't wreck anything - Transformers still exists, the episodes are still there, as are the toys. I saw the first Bay Transformers and that was enough for me. It didn't ruin or destroy my memory of the Transformers, just as the GI-Joe movie didn't kill my memory of GI-Joe.

I forgot which author was asked how he felt about a film adaption which changed things, and he pointed to his book shelf and said "but my books are right there, unchanged."

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #20879 on: August 10, 2014, 02:52:19 PM »
I tried to rewatch the original transformers cartoon two years ago.  It is complete shit and I didn't make it to season 2.  The movie is still very good though.