Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4140613 times)

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Re: The Movie News/Reviews Thread
« Reply #33300 on: March 05, 2019, 12:53:59 AM »
I'd rather circumcise my eyeball than watch that

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #33301 on: March 05, 2019, 10:54:04 AM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: The new and improved movie discussion thread
« Reply #33302 on: March 05, 2019, 10:58:51 AM »
Behind the Curve

A humanizing documentary about Flat Earthers, that tries to show the reasons why someone would believe in something like Flat Earth. A lot of them are also antivaxxers, anti Evolution, 9/11 truthers, globalist (lol) conspiracists, fluoride conspiracists, basically any conspiracy you can think of, but Flat Earth is this umbrella that brings them all together. It's a place to belong, it's a place to fit in, it's a place where your beliefs matter. No one's going to a Round Earth conference, to hang out with all their Round Earth friends. No one's getting famous making Youtube videos about the earth being spherical. But when you become a Flat Earther, you join this family where no one talks down to you and calls you an idiot. Except for those splitters that believe the Earth is an infinite, open plane instead of a finite, domed plane! :maf  The documentary argues that instead of just calling them dumb and ignoring them, we should treat them with respect and dignity and gently give them the opportunity to discover the error of their ways instead of just pushing them farther into a corner.

But sorry, they're just so dumb. :lol Seeing their experiments "fail" and accidentally prove the curvature of the Earth was the best part of the movie, second only to them all accusing each other of being CIA plants that are introducing wrongthink into the Flat Earth dogma.  :doge
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33303 on: March 05, 2019, 11:18:55 AM »
This is what TVC has personally funded.
©@©™

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #33304 on: March 05, 2019, 11:31:16 AM »

Fucking finally :rejoice

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #33305 on: March 05, 2019, 12:06:52 PM »
Im tempted to watch Gamer after that AV Club article yesterday. Anyone seen it and is it a hoot?
serge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33306 on: March 05, 2019, 03:36:58 PM »
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33307 on: March 05, 2019, 05:15:30 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

lmao
I can't believe at some point human beings sat in a room together and said:
"THIS IDEA IS FUCKING GREAT"

It's up there with the allied battle plan for the Battle of France at the start of WW2 in terms of worst ideas of all time.
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33308 on: March 05, 2019, 06:23:05 PM »
Im tempted to watch Gamer after that AV Club article yesterday. Anyone seen it and is it a hoot?
I remember watching it back in the day and actually liking it but I'm hazy on the details.
🤴

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #33309 on: March 05, 2019, 07:33:35 PM »
Definitely feels like an early-00s Hollywood scifi movie, and the outer-space scenes look pretty cool. So I'm down for it.

Saw this at the movies on Chinese NY. It was fairly aiight. Not as jingoistic as i expected. Thematic hints that it'll be China's pragmatism that will save the world from global warming. The science was specious, the plot absurb and stupid, but it was so big and outrageous i had a good time, though the constant hackneyed melodrama made it a whole lot harder to enjoy than it needed to be.
◕‿◕

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #33310 on: March 05, 2019, 07:38:53 PM »
the most memorable part of gamer was how after our viewing we spent the majority of the time talking about how criminaly underrated existenz was. it's remarkably unmemorable but i do remember it being somewhat entertaining

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #33311 on: March 05, 2019, 07:53:30 PM »
alitia felt like a mismatch of a film that didn't really seem like it knew what it wanted to be.

every :woooo is followed by a  :huh

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #33312 on: March 05, 2019, 07:56:12 PM »
very cool thriller lil indie thriller, especially if you're into the puzzle genre or ever wonder wtf Xander's up to now

◕‿◕

Bebpo

« Reply #33313 on: March 06, 2019, 12:12:11 AM »
Under the Shadow - The Babadook set in 1980 Iran with evil Djinn. Has like 99% RT.

Really disappointing :(
It’s so.freaking.slow and the only scares are lame ass jump scares. The main gal’s frustratingly a jerk and stubborn. I don’t get the good reviews.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #33314 on: March 06, 2019, 11:40:15 AM »
Shin Godzilla co-directed by H.Anno : Liked it a lot, it brings it up to date, the SFX are good, Godzilla is intriguing (both scary and goofy with those silly eyes), there's a good balance for his presence on screen, it's never repetitive. I was pleasantly surprised to see how much of the camera work was lifted straight from Evangelion (alongside one of the most famous bits of the OST, the one which is basically a John Barry ripoff) and most of it works well in live action. There's a couple of parts where it doesn't : a weird quick succession of cuts on the female lead's hands at a briefing, later a dialogue with her father where his face is out of the frame for all of the sequence without any real reason. It's not too surprising given Evangelion paid homage to kaiju eiga but it helps a lot modernizing some of the obligatory set pieces (the failed army operation, filled to the brim with the expected otaku / grognard obsession for details) and give a very distinctive feel to all of the urban landscape shots, not unlike Tokyo-3.

Of course the other big deal from this Godzilla is that the film actually has something interesting to say for the usually weak parts featuring humans : it's all presented from a pseudo realistic / serious depiction of the political and administrative response to a monster attack. It makes for some excellent dry deadpan comedy (the beginning is hysterical with the cabinet blowing hot air but changing conference rooms to repeat again and again that they don't know what is going on, but I'm easily amused...) and overall it is much better at giving some depth to what is usually filler though I think the film would have been better with maybe 15-20mn less.

Two thumbs attached to cute tiny Godzilla arms up. Also your best chance for an Eva fix since Anno is obviously never gonna bother finishing Rebuild.

Danchi / The Projects by Junji Sakamoto : An elderly couple move into an old Osaka projects. After a few months, the husband seems to disappear and the gossip machine goes into overdrive... It's a touching film from a director I'm not familiar with (but very eclectic, I was told) which navigates the line well between drama, melancholy, levity and the plain absurd (the plot escalates suddenly into an unexpected direction) to offer the portrait of a mostly aging Japan and the intimacy of this couple's hidden tragedy. It's always light and well paced enough to keep your attention and it's the most subdued Japanese film of all those I saw recently. It's hard to discuss it deeper without going into the plot, so I'll just recommend you see it if you can.

Hausu / House by Nobuhiko Ōbayashi : you're maybe familiar with this if you're into B cinema, as this 1977 film gained a lot of cult status a few years ago. A teen, along with some of her friends, goes to her estranged aunt as a way to escape vacation with her new step mom. It quickly becomes apparent her aunt house is haunted...

I knew the reputation of the film beforehand but I did not expect for the weirdness to be so relentless : before going to the haunted house part the film has two reels of high school saccharine and melodrama played straight to a fault, and the whole thing is a non stop sensory bombardment (the music never ever stops... And there's like only 4 tracks throughout). I'm honestly not sure if the intent was parody or if the makers were just stoned out of their minds. It's not the worst psychedelic film (there's no downtime... At all), it mixes typical Nippon horror film imagery from the 60-70 with some tropes from Western classics at a fevered hysterical pace and there's very striking and distinctive visuals. I'm at a loss to form on opinion on the film to be honest, I walked out interested yet exhausted. There's bound to be a lot of waste when you throw everything like that at the audience.

Cold Fish by Sion Sono : The fortunes of the family of a meek store owner seem to take a turn for the better when an eccentric, rich and successful fellow tropical fish seller takes a liking to them... Except their benefactor is a ruthless serial killer.

That's the first Sono Sion film I see and I'm afraid it's not the best introduction : I reeled back a bit when I saw the Sushi Typhoon logo at the beginning, a label I associate with films I always felt were a little too artificially outrageous and quirky (obviously playing up the expectations of foreign audiences for "Japanese weirdness"). By the end of the film the misanthropy, pointless exploitation, grime and gore gets so ridiculously edgy that I felt vindicated and mentally checked out -though it made for great comedy with the audience audible squirming-. With movies, first and last impressions are almost everything and mine was tainted very negatively at that point. A shame because the first half or two thirds are more than competent and I don't feel that story needed to escalate to gory schlock or trading relatable characters for a pseudo-nihilistic charge of "The world is shit, everyone is shit  :joker ". I grew less and less indulgent of this cheap cynicism, your film need to earn this sort of ending and convince me it's not just for shock.

Let me know if I should try Love Exposure or Suicide Club one of these days...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 03:51:31 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #33315 on: March 06, 2019, 11:45:00 AM »
love exposure and suicide club are both mandatory viewings. regardless of how you will feel when walking away from either film, you'll never be able to wash away the experience.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #33316 on: March 06, 2019, 03:35:49 PM »
(clears throat)

Why Don't You Play in Hell is a Sono film I have a lot of affection for. Its a movie-movie that runs a bit too long (like every Sion Sono joint I suppose) but its got a playfully demented sense of humor and an awesome last act. Its about the closest thing to a Japanese John Waters film that exists.

the rap-musical-comedy Tokyo Tribe is also overstuffed but intermittently brilliantly goofy.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #33317 on: March 06, 2019, 04:04:42 PM »
The 35mm copy of Cold Fish was super dirty in parts by the way. During the opening I thought it was a stylistic choice (one I don't like but at least it wasn't the same fake dirt and bullshit scratches looping every 3 seconds like in most cases) but each reel ended with some massive punch holes (and two massive black squares right in the center of the image :lol) plus horrendous first / last image warps, so it's maybe all genuine.

Sushi Typhoon being sort of a modern exploitation label for the Nikkatsu and it being apparently shot on film, it's possible the "physical / chemical" component of post production was by choice and / or necessity low budget. Even just judging on one film, that's something this director might have a liking to, I guess.

House also had all of that vintage look even if the particular print used was funded by a private benefactor (probably a straight transfer from whatever master reels they have, I don't think it was digitally restored in any way) but that's more expected for a 77 film.
ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33318 on: March 06, 2019, 04:11:41 PM »
I should watch more of Sono's films, but I loved Suicide Club. I saw it around the same time as Battle Royale and they got me super into importing Asian DVDs for a minute.
©@©™

« Reply #33319 on: March 07, 2019, 09:44:46 PM »
Going in for Captain Marvel in IMAX in 30 min.

Review shortly after.
She

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #33320 on: March 08, 2019, 02:25:12 AM »
Who else is sick of the lies

« Reply #33321 on: March 08, 2019, 02:39:11 AM »
Lol I got a life daaaaaawg.

I’ll start by saying I’m an MCU fan, big time. But I’m also a super huge movie buff in general. I make them. I liked the movie quite a bit. It’s definitely a lot more low key in terms of set pieces and things. But there are some pretty inventive fight scenes, and some interesting film homages. It’s very 90s all the time, used in funny and a few interesting ways.

There’s something about Carol herself that... well, I know some here will find her bland but I really like the direction and especially Brie’s acting sell the character. She just does whatever the fuck she wants, in a way slightly different. There’s a subtly she displays her, and really sells the emotional bits, and is a good sassy stoic during jokes. I really like how she’s basically no nonsense, probably only as much as BP.

The movie is deff slow to start but the visuals are consistently impressively cool. The movie really gets going once Carol is on earth, and then there’s a midpoint shift that really elevates the movie and gives the best character besides Carol.

Anything Skrulls is the best parts of the movies.

Ending is definitely easily won, but it works here, displaying Carol’s power, but how she’s still really cocky and a little too quick to use it.

Final moment with the villain is triumphant.

This is deff a proud feminist film.

Story beats aren’t too original, but some cool twists and great performances, as well as some of the punchiest MCU banter in a while make it a lot of fun.

Post credits scene was dope.

All in all, makes me very hype for Endgame, and seeing how CM will play off everyone.
She

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #33322 on: March 08, 2019, 05:44:48 AM »
Oblivion (2013)

Man, this movie has Tom Cruise putting Tom Cruise in a triangle in the radiation zone wasteland desert of a destroyed earth.

5 stars.

Actually, I was distracted when the twist came so I spent the whole back half of the movie completely confused.

Oblivion second half is the most cookie cutter thing imaginable and it made little sense overall apart from hitting those tired and safe "things to have in a script" : underdog resistance, overplayed love triangle, Morgan Freeman, etc... And making Cruise the big damn action hero, obviously. It was much more interesting (despite not being original) as a classic sci-fi movie mixed with solitude though it had a bit of that Apple problem : very sleek production design but a tad bland.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 05:50:10 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33323 on: March 08, 2019, 09:16:32 AM »
some of the punchiest MCU banter in a while

:nope
dog

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #33324 on: March 08, 2019, 09:22:49 AM »
there isn't many neo-realism films that deal with a ravaged post world war 2 italy though

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33325 on: March 08, 2019, 08:04:44 PM »
Goose was the real hero of Captain Marvel.  :cat
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #33326 on: March 08, 2019, 10:03:36 PM »
Captain Marvel was great.  As good as wonder woman. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #33327 on: March 08, 2019, 10:40:02 PM »
reading through the easter egg thread on Reddit made me realize that I missed a ton of 90's movie references.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33328 on: March 08, 2019, 10:58:31 PM »
reading through the easter egg thread on Reddit made me realize that I missed a ton of 90's movie references.

I didn’t notice Stan Lee was reading the Mall Rats script until I saw it online.
©@©™

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33329 on: March 08, 2019, 11:12:43 PM »
The tank scene in Ghost in the Shell is masterful. All I've seen of this film up till now has been vignettes but in context there's a strength given to the Major thats astounding, which climaxes in the tank scene. It's a masterwork undoubtedly. At a loss for word in the depth and beauty.
:9

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33330 on: March 08, 2019, 11:21:52 PM »
I keep replaying it, it's amazing. The animation to the underlying message. Her commitment. Goddamn. Its portrayed in such a way that's hypnotic and affective.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33331 on: March 08, 2019, 11:24:02 PM »
I understand that Ghost in the Shell isn't a movie for everyone, but the direction and cinematography are masterful.
dog

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33332 on: March 08, 2019, 11:30:00 PM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
the tank is basically desecrating a museum while the major tries to stop it, not due to destroying history but its a wonderful take on machine vs human whether the major sees it or not. Its not whats pertinent to her yet there's a human urgency to her encounter to this machine.
[close]

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33333 on: March 08, 2019, 11:46:44 PM »
This film fuck
Its absolutely ahead of its time. It speaks of the siren song of singularity but are we able to give up individuality? Even now (as I see it) its an infants dream but goddamn is it still terrifying

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #33334 on: March 09, 2019, 02:46:23 AM »
I think Oshii is severely underrated as a hard sci-fi auteur. Maybe less on the science part, but his best works grapple with the philosophy of future and present dilemmas wonderfully. But he's also made a lot of overreaching dreck and that hasn't helped his rep. Still love Avalon and The Sky Crawlers to bits though.

But enough about science of the future, how's about some vividly portrayed science of the past? Apollo 11 is a narration free documentary consisting entirely of restored film (much of it extremely high quality) shot during the days of man's first trip to the moon. Shot and edited almost like a conventional dramatic movie, it condenses the hyper complicated business of 60's space travel into a thrilling and even quite affecting feature length montage. Its a great work of shaping history to make a narrative that still never once feels dumbed down. Like last year's First Man, it does a great job of making space travel look as thrilling, dangerous, and beautiful as possible. And also I can now say for darn certain I don't got the same stones Anderson, Alderin, and Collins did.

I've been very happy with the career of J.C. Chandor so far. He's made a string of thoughtful and mature dramatic films, free of histrionics or even conventional audience payoff moments. I can't be disappointed in him attempting to paint on a bigger canvas, and I can't say I didn't enjoy the film at all, but Triple Frontier still registers as bit of a letdown. Its got a great cast, a great premise (Seal Team Heist), and a director cynical enough to make a movie about profiteering ex-soldiers work. But its just not entirely satisfying as an action film and the pulpiness of its story co-exists uncomfortably with the grounded movie that it keeps trying to be. Its a muddled attempt to make a typical cheesy action movie into something respectable, but despite the concerted efforts of all involved(well, maybe less so with Ben Affleck) all you're left with is a film that's two halves instead of one whole and somehow the math ain't working out. I appreciate that Netflix funds movies like this, but like with a lot of their bigger productions you can see the unfulfilled potential inasmuch as the finished product.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33335 on: March 09, 2019, 07:07:09 PM »
Finally got around to watching Aquaman.

and uh, wow certainly A LOT happened in this movie involving sharks and lasers.
Also, Amber Heard looked pretty hot in her suit.  :heart
🤴

Nuitangg

« Reply #33336 on: March 09, 2019, 07:35:45 PM »
Vision Quest is the greatest sports movie of all time.

Also, only one of these codes for Mission Impossible 3 works  :lol

https://www.paramountmovies.com/#/

KMHWM7WKHKMP

M9N3Y4KHHJRJ

Bebpo

« Reply #33337 on: March 09, 2019, 07:49:16 PM »
Captain Marvel was good. Pretty standard marvel origin flick, but they transitioned cosmic powers pretty well, the Larson does a great job and the post-credit scene was fire. Does Sam Jackson even try to act anymore? He just seems so...hokey in everything lately. Also I give it credit for taking 2 of the most uninteresting parts of Marvel Comics (Skrulls & Kree) and not making a movie more boring than Ant-Man.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33338 on: March 10, 2019, 12:59:58 AM »
Captain Marvel was good. Pretty standard marvel origin flick, but they transitioned cosmic powers pretty well, the Larson does a great job and the post-credit scene was fire. Does Sam Jackson even try to act anymore? He just seems so...hokey in everything lately. Also I give it credit for taking 2 of the most uninteresting parts of Marvel Comics (Skrulls & Kree) and not making a movie more boring than Ant-Man.

Liked it as well, but for different reasons.  Larson felt kind of stiff and robotic, but I can't tell if that's her just being a bad actress or if it was on purpose, since the movie starts off with this whole "suppress your emotions" thing.  What kept things going for me was the way everyone else interacted with her- she was barely ever by herself, so it just worked and the movie stayed pretty fun.  The skrulls were great and I hope we get to see more of them in other movies- was so great seeing them having some personality and not being so one-dimensional.  Hokey Nick Fury was great and all the shit with the cat was awesome.  :lol  Wish we got more Coulson. 

:bow at the final (?) Stan Lee cameo and Mallrats reference :bow2

For all the shit-talking and "review bomb protesting" happening, the theater was packed and people lost their shit with the mid-credits scene at the end.

The nerd in me also has to mention a prop fuck-up- in the bar scene, there's a shot of a Street Fighter II machine.  It wasn't an original cab and had a widescreen LCD monitor.  Guess they figured nobody would care or notice, but it stuck out a lot, especially with so much attention to other details and CRT TVs and monitors all over the movie.
:expert
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 01:04:11 AM by bork »
ど助平

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #33339 on: March 10, 2019, 03:07:36 AM »
She was great in Short Term 12

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33340 on: March 10, 2019, 03:14:00 PM »
The ending to Aquaman was weird.

Bad King Orm sends massive armies to fight other underwater species. We're talking millions of troops.
Explosions, nuclear blasts, lasers, monsters everywhere. BOOM drop ship with another ~500 soldiers explodes.
At some point someone says: "There's too many casualties. Which at that point in that fight must be up to 400k - 500k between both sides.
During all the lengthy dialogue between the main characters, you even see the fighting and lasers and explosions going off in the background.
While Amber Heard and Aquaman talk there's at least 500 explosions in the background.

*some events happen*

Oh you know what, you guys died for nothing in this here massive battle we now have a new king. Wew, how's that for an happy ending!

Thank god everything worked out ok! There's only about half a million dead.
[close]
🤴

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #33341 on: March 10, 2019, 05:16:20 PM »
Captain Marvel on track to make $155 mil.

___

Bebpo

« Reply #33342 on: March 10, 2019, 05:17:28 PM »
The ending to Aquaman was weird.

Bad King Orm sends massive armies to fight other underwater species. We're talking millions of troops.
Explosions, nuclear blasts, lasers, monsters everywhere. BOOM drop ship with another ~500 soldiers explodes.
At some point someone says: "There's too many casualties. Which at that point in that fight must be up to 400k - 500k between both sides.
During all the lengthy dialogue between the main characters, you even see the fighting and lasers and explosions going off in the background.
While Amber Heard and Aquaman talk there's at least 500 explosions in the background.

*some events happen*

Oh you know what, you guys died for nothing in this here massive battle we now have a new king. Wew, how's that for an happy ending!

Thank god everything worked out ok! There's only about half a million dead.
[close]

Yep. Good movie.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33343 on: March 10, 2019, 07:34:10 PM »
Another weird thing was
The pirate guy gets a big ass gun that can blow up a mountain and he changes it into weaker laser eyes that make him look like a failed antman experiment  :doge
[close]
🤴

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33344 on: March 10, 2019, 07:51:27 PM »
Captain Marvel on track to make $155 mil.

(Image removed from quote.)

BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33345 on: March 10, 2019, 11:43:56 PM »
Suicide Squad 2 is off to a good start:

Margot Robbie will reprise her role as Harley Quinn, but it won’t be Will Smith we’ll be seeing as Deadshot, as Idris Elba has signed on instead.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #33346 on: March 11, 2019, 02:25:51 AM »
Another weird thing was
The pirate guy gets a big ass gun that can blow up a mountain and he changes it into weaker laser eyes that make him look like a failed antman experiment  :doge
[close]

Guns are boring. Eye beams are fucking awesome.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #33347 on: March 11, 2019, 01:24:08 PM »
aquaman is the pacific rim of superhero movies. both are self-aware in knowing how dumb their entire premise is and were awesome because of it. i wish other franchises had that kind of awareness

disclaimer: i did see aquaman in a 4dx theater and i'm sure i would've enjoyed the film far less had i seen it on a standard screen. though, i still would've enjoyed it better than any marvel film outside of GOTG
[close]

Coffee Dog

« Reply #33348 on: March 11, 2019, 03:33:40 PM »
Captain Marvel as a film felt just as confused as the protagonist. The dialogue at the start was so generic that it became impossible to get a feel for her character until she growled at that soldier and you realized the character is in her element as an angry warrior.

But then the film spends a long time building up this mystery to Carol's identity, is she more kree or human? Is she aware of the implications of her godlike power, how does she feel about being lied to for six straight years, how does she feel about this life on earth that she supposedly had? And...Carol just doesn't explore the emotional depth of any of it. Credit to Brie's performance, she made Carol feel straight off the page, with the same problems: she played her as generally too simple to grapple with it. She's a warrior. At the end of the day, she doesn't need anything more than an enemy and someone telling her what she can't do so that she can push herself and surpass it. But she doesn't come to that realization until the end of the move when she flips out and unshackles her powers, and when she does the (...I guess..emotional?) declaration that she doesn't know herself, it felt hollow because the writers clearly didn't either. Carol isn't one to agonize over details like that, and that element of the character came through during her interactions with the supporting cast, who were all great. Sam Jack's deaging was nuts and a highlight.

All the amnesia shit just amounts to a big time waster when the character knew who she was at the beginning, which is a big dumb powerful animalistic fuck you machine that growled at the Skrull. When she powered up, it was not through protection of the defenseless skrulls, it was not through strengthening her ties to earth, it was by embracing her inner drive of self improvement and surpassing her own limitations. She's the Goku variety of power fantasy. But whereas Dragon Ball embraces the fallibility of such a primitive character, Carol's stories never have, and they try to introduce themes that mismatch with the core appeal of her when she's fucking shit up. I think she'll be fine in a team on avengers like she usually is, but the solo stories need a heavy rejiggering when we get more of them. Embrace the conclusion that the film came to, because it's the first time captain marvel showed herself as an enjoyable hero and not a bored woman who can shoot a laser blast.

As a final note, the human characters being mysoginistic was fine, but why did Ronan say "the woman" instead of "the human" or "that freak of nature" or anything else. Why would a random space alien give the slightest fuck  :dead
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 03:58:33 PM by Coffee Dog »

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #33349 on: March 11, 2019, 03:54:08 PM »
it took a woman wearing tights to have you venture outside of the other forum thread, sad

Coffee Dog

« Reply #33350 on: March 11, 2019, 04:01:12 PM »
it took a woman wearing tights to have you venture outside of the other forum thread, sad
I've posted some on gaming too. I just don't post often. My girlfriend took me to this and my friends don't care about these movies enough to hear my opinion on it so I vented it here. Lordy.  ::)

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #33351 on: March 11, 2019, 05:31:52 PM »

As a huge Superbad fan, this makes me so excited.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33352 on: March 11, 2019, 06:53:23 PM »
Captain Marvel as a film felt just as confused as the protagonist. The dialogue at the start was so generic that it became impossible to get a feel for her character until she growled at that soldier and you realized the character is in her element as an angry warrior.

But then the film spends a long time building up this mystery to Carol's identity, is she more kree or human? Is she aware of the implications of her godlike power, how does she feel about being lied to for six straight years, how does she feel about this life on earth that she supposedly had? And...Carol just doesn't explore the emotional depth of any of it. Credit to Brie's performance, she made Carol feel straight off the page, with the same problems: she played her as generally too simple to grapple with it. She's a warrior. At the end of the day, she doesn't need anything more than an enemy and someone telling her what she can't do so that she can push herself and surpass it. But she doesn't come to that realization until the end of the move when she flips out and unshackles her powers, and when she does the (...I guess..emotional?) declaration that she doesn't know herself, it felt hollow because the writers clearly didn't either. Carol isn't one to agonize over details like that, and that element of the character came through during her interactions with the supporting cast, who were all great. Sam Jack's deaging was nuts and a highlight.

All the amnesia shit just amounts to a big time waster when the character knew who she was at the beginning, which is a big dumb powerful animalistic fuck you machine that growled at the Skrull. When she powered up, it was not through protection of the defenseless skrulls, it was not through strengthening her ties to earth, it was by embracing her inner drive of self improvement and surpassing her own limitations. She's the Goku variety of power fantasy. But whereas Dragon Ball embraces the fallibility of such a primitive character, Carol's stories never have, and they try to introduce themes that mismatch with the core appeal of her when she's fucking shit up. I think she'll be fine in a team on avengers like she usually is, but the solo stories need a heavy rejiggering when we get more of them. Embrace the conclusion that the film came to, because it's the first time captain marvel showed herself as an enjoyable hero and not a bored woman who can shoot a laser blast.

As a final note, the human characters being mysoginistic was fine, but why did Ronan say "the woman" instead of "the human" or "that freak of nature" or anything else. Why would a random space alien give the slightest fuck  :dead

This is basically exactly how I felt about it. The setup and ending basically bookending cultural references and Sam Jackson being cool. The whole second act felt meandering.

I read it somewhere but the best description of the film is as a quickly conceived story about why this character will be appearing in End Game.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33353 on: March 11, 2019, 07:03:36 PM »

Caught this over the weekend and it was a gut punch of a film. Two very broken people getting together due to the convenience. Deals with substance abuse, suicidal tendencies, and cultural differences when it comes to the role of men and women in society and in a relationship. It gets dark in a particular way that only foreign films seem to allow.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 07:46:28 PM by BlueTsunami »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33354 on: March 11, 2019, 07:29:51 PM »
Apply directly to the forehead?
©@©™

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33355 on: March 11, 2019, 07:45:29 PM »

[close]

The German title is better

Gegen die Wand literally translated as "Against the Wall"

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #33356 on: March 11, 2019, 11:05:10 PM »
Akin's recent In the Fade is a great, wrenching drama that tactfully dances around a lot of potential genre and social pitfalls.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33357 on: March 13, 2019, 12:03:47 PM »
Gaspar Noé's Climax is opening near me this Friday  :rejoice

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #33358 on: March 13, 2019, 12:10:21 PM »

I'm down. Looks like a great cast.

That’s what I’m saying

Bebpo

« Reply #33359 on: March 14, 2019, 03:24:54 AM »
Paddington 2 - was cute  :-[. It took me a little to get into (basically enjoyed it from the prison convicts onwards) as I was expecting it to be a little more funny since it had been described to me as a Wes Anderson style quirky comedy adventure (and also as game of the year 2018 by red letter media). I think if Wes Anderson did make this movie it'd basically be very closely the same except much funnier. But was a good charming watch and the ending was great. Really liked all the characters. It was even an enjoyable Hugh Grant performance and I've never particularly liked Hugh Grant :P

I may watch the first movie at some point. I'm sure it'll be charming and cute and very British, but I don't expect it to be laugh out loud funny so not in a rush to see it.

This is basically exactly how I felt about it. The setup and ending basically bookending cultural references and Sam Jackson being cool. The whole second act felt meandering.

I read it somewhere but the best description of the film is as a quickly conceived story about why this character will be appearing in End Game.

So every time a Marvel movie comes out it gets me back to reading Marvel Comics for a month or so until I drop it for a while. Started where I left off at World War Hulk after watching Captain Marvel and I sorta realized that given her powers in the movie compared to movie version of everyone else, she seems like she's essentially taking the role of The Sentry in the movie MCU, aka the DBZ power level character that they'll always need to have a reason she can't just come in and wipe everyone in two seconds and then she comes in at the end and does that when really needed in special situations.