Author Topic: One Piece Thread: The best comic you haven't read  (Read 431270 times)

Himu

Re: One Piece Thread: The best comic you haven't read
« Reply #2760 on: July 09, 2015, 07:48:15 PM »
The arena paid off. Tontatta not so much.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #2761 on: July 09, 2015, 08:46:29 PM »
reflecting on this arc, law's a near-GOAT badass. took down smoker, trebol, and vergo; and went toe-to-toe with fujitora AND doffy at the same time. even after taking a metric fuckton of pain, he STILL got a devastating hit in on doffy, seriously weakening him. the op-op fruit's power is REAL, friends. luffy took down caesar and chinjao, but his defeat of doffy was predicated on law gettin' his hits in first. sick as HELL, sons. only zoro and his two perfect k.o.'s (pica and monet) comes close this round.

callin' this arc for the sword bros.

best moment was still seeing diamante get his neck broken on scarlet's grave.   :lawd

edit: and god usopp in 2nd place. :lawd

edit 2: and gear fourth. and the franky/pink "man's" battle/backstory.

A GOOD ARC.

I really gotta re-read this arc all at once sometime.  Yeah, looking back there was some really great stuff like God Usopp, Frankie battle, but reading it weekly it all feels ages ago and what's fresh is the long, drawn out Doffy fight which honestly wasn't a particularly interesting fight compared to the other big boy fights in OP.

But I bet it's a lot more fun reading all at once. 

Himu

« Reply #2762 on: July 09, 2015, 08:50:39 PM »
I highly suggest it. I caught up a few months ago but basically had to re-read the whole arc and it goes together really well all in one gulp when you're not waiting chapter to chapter.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #2763 on: July 09, 2015, 09:20:47 PM »
I think the shorter arcs like Punk Hazard work fine weekly since things keep moving, but the major arcs with all their subplots and everyone having to get their fights in are tough weekly and probably better read in a single session.

As an aside, the Dressrosa arc finally ending got me in the OP mood and I've been playing through the One Piece Musou 3's story mode.  It's a pretty nice "recap" version of the entire OP story from ch.1 -> Dressrosa in a single 15 hour or so story mode.  Would recommend it for the musou fans here.  I'm seeing a lot of scenes that I haven't read/seen/thought about in ages and it's kind of refreshing like the team cheer foot on the barrel done right before entering the Grand Line.

Himu

« Reply #2764 on: July 09, 2015, 09:24:31 PM »
I wouldn't call Punk Hazard a shorter arc. Technically, wasn't Punk Hazard tied to this arc? Punk Hazard seems to be another Little Garden. A place that has big developments but is honestly only a stepping stone towards building the next big arc.

In fact, this arc isn't even over because Nami and everyone else have separated. This is just one huge arc combined, with sub bosses (Doffy, Caesar) along the way it seems. The way it connects is brilliant.
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2765 on: July 15, 2015, 01:17:42 AM »
Sabo's back story next issue

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #2767 on: July 15, 2015, 04:28:57 PM »
:-O

<manly tears>
duc

Himu

« Reply #2768 on: July 19, 2015, 04:56:16 PM »
Good lord i can't wait to see what the rest of the crew is up to
IYKYK

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #2769 on: July 19, 2015, 06:34:22 PM »
my fanboy cock is busoshoku haki hard :lawd
duc

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2771 on: July 21, 2015, 04:15:07 PM »
He's made of hard boiled eggs.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2772 on: July 30, 2015, 02:20:23 PM »
http://readms.com/r/one_piece/795/2882/1

O holy shit

spoiler (click to show/hide)
reminder, its been 1 year 7 months and 21 days since we've seen Sanji and curly crew.
[close]
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 02:24:29 PM by TheInfelicitousDandy »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2773 on: July 30, 2015, 03:58:54 PM »
Some one else needs to read this so we can squeal like girls and jump up and down together.

Himu

« Reply #2774 on: July 30, 2015, 04:44:53 PM »
HOLY FUCK!!!!!
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2775 on: July 30, 2015, 05:06:45 PM »
See! see!  I'm super hyped right now. 

Himu

« Reply #2776 on: July 30, 2015, 05:31:17 PM »
I was thinking the chapter started off a bit raw but the final few pages were :gladbron as fuck

What an absolute badass narration :lawd
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2777 on: July 30, 2015, 05:35:39 PM »
Ya the first part was a bit raw.  The second part a bit confusing, and then the third just absolutely killed.   

Pretty sure Sanji is running from one of Kaido's men, for what ever reason.  Which means they escaped Big Mam just to run into Kaido.
[close]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2778 on: July 30, 2015, 05:42:32 PM »
Also using 'Diablo Muoton Shot' on a sheep dude, :lol

Himu

« Reply #2779 on: July 30, 2015, 06:07:30 PM »
im pretty positive those guys are with Kaido. Wasn't his flag shown?
[close]
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #2780 on: July 30, 2015, 06:09:29 PM »
Cool.

But

If Kaidou's been defeated by pirates and government officials 7 times already...doesn't that mean he's not that great and can lose pretty easily against the right people?
[close]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2781 on: July 30, 2015, 06:11:56 PM »
im pretty positive those guys are with Kaido. Wasn't his flag shown?
[close]

Ya.  I reread it and got that the second time through. 

Himu

« Reply #2782 on: July 30, 2015, 06:31:50 PM »
Cool.

But

If Kaidou's been defeated by pirates and government officials 7 times already...doesn't that mean he's not that great and can lose pretty easily against the right people?
[close]

no. Luffy has been caught multiple times. He got caught by Buggy for trusting Nami. He almost had his head chopped off at Loguetown. He fought Crocodile like three times and lost twice. Croc imprisoned him and the crew. He lost against Lucci BADLY. He got his shit kicked in on Shabaody AND Enies Lobby AND the War of the Best. Luffy has a lot of luck.

Kaidou, despite being caught, much like Luffy, JUST WON'T DIE. The man can't even kill himself. i don't think he will be an easy opponent, ESPECIALLY given how many losses and struggles Luffy has had. The man just jumped off a cloud to kill himself and got up like it was nothing. This will be EPIC.
[close]
IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #2783 on: July 30, 2015, 07:18:24 PM »
:hyper

Bebpo

« Reply #2784 on: July 30, 2015, 07:48:01 PM »
Cool.

But

[close]

no. Luffy has been caught multiple times. He got caught by Buggy for trusting Nami. He almost had his head chopped off at Loguetown. He fought Crocodile like three times and lost twice. Croc imprisoned him and the crew. He lost against Lucci BADLY. He got his shit kicked in on Shabaody AND Enies Lobby AND the War of the Best. Luffy has a lot of luck.

Kaidou, despite being caught, much like Luffy, JUST WON'T DIE. The man can't even kill himself. i don't think he will be an easy opponent, ESPECIALLY given how many losses and struggles Luffy has had. The man just jumped off a cloud to kill himself and got up like it was nothing. This will be EPIC.
[close]

Ya, I don't think he'll be easy by any means, I just thought it was weird because it sort of downplayed his Pirate ability.  I mean the narration to me was like "Whitebeard, but not as strong".  It's a good design though and hopefully this will be fun.  I wonder if the next arc will take out everyone outside of Shanks and Blackbeard and then that'll be the final arc.  If these arcs are all going to be 2-4 year long arcs, I really wouldn't be surprised if there's only like 2 arcs left in the manga.  And I'm reaaaaally thinking the next arc will be a double yonkou arc since Big Mam is still after them.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #2785 on: July 30, 2015, 08:53:12 PM »
i like the reddit theory: kaidou actually can't die -- maybe he's part oni, maybe he's cursed, who knows -- and he's eaten roundabout 100 (zoan) devil fruits trying to off himself. that's would LITERALLY make him beast tier.
duc

Himu

« Reply #2786 on: July 30, 2015, 09:06:00 PM »
What reddit theory
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2787 on: July 30, 2015, 09:07:09 PM »
The one that came after the ':'

Himu

« Reply #2788 on: July 30, 2015, 09:43:40 PM »
I mean, link it
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #2790 on: July 31, 2015, 02:14:54 PM »
After recapping the whole series through One Piece Musou 3's story mode, is it just me or is the 2nd half of the series lacking emotional moments so far?

I mean everything up until Fishman's island is filled with memorable emotional scenes like the goodbye scene to Vivi in Alabasta with the hands up, Luffy and Usopp making after Enies Lobby, Robin's I want to live, Zoro's first encounter with Tashigi reminding him of his past, Zoro taking Kuma's blast standing for the team, Luffy putting his hat on a crying Nami, Sanji getting on his knees and thanking Chef, etc... almost every arc ended with some real moving stuff.  Marineford was sort of the top of that with Whitebeard's standing death and the aftermath.  Even going off from Saobody 2 years later with Rayleigh wishing them off was nice.  It felt like there was a lot of character development for the main cast.

But then Fishmen Island...was ok, but can't think of any real memorable stuff and Jinbe's backstory was zzz.  Punk Hazard was a ton of fun and a real entertaining arc, but not really emotional, and now Dressrosa's only real emotional moment stuff was Law's backstory which was good, but in the present while being an entertaining arc, there's no real emotional moment.  Maybe Sanji taking the hit for the team facing off against DoFla to let the Sunny escape.  The Toy stuff was ok, and the dwarf people stuff was totally a miss (who cares about the princess??)

It's like the first half of the series was an adventure filled with touching moments while the New World so far has been a big entertaining summer action flick.  I get that part of it is that Luffy and Crew are so strong from their 2 year training upgrades that they've been steam rolling through these arcs, with Luffy finally kind of maxing out at the end of the Doflamingo fight and that the characters have grown a lot already at this point.  But I'd like to have more memorable character development stuff.  I wonder if Oda's peak was Marineford and he's losing his touch somewhat.

I dunno, I need to re-read the post-time skip stuff one of these days, but that just kind of stood out to me going through all the arcs again.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2791 on: July 31, 2015, 02:18:48 PM »
Sabo's return, the toys remembering loved ones, Senor Pink's and even Law's back story.

Bebpo

« Reply #2792 on: July 31, 2015, 04:33:02 PM »
Sabo's return, the toys remembering loved ones, Senor Pink's and even Law's back story.

I said Law's back story!  :P

Was Sabo's return memorable?  I dunno, I felt his character was pretty forced in at the break with Luffy's backstory to just add him into the story out of nowhere and so we knew he'd be back as a character and it didn't have a ton of impact when it happened.  The Toys were...ok, but comparing some random toy people to emotional scenes with the characters we know like the main crew is no comparison.  And Senior Pink's battle was great.  I want more major emotional moments with main characters.  Bellamy's stuff at the end of Dressrosa could have been good drama, but I don't think it was executed that well because it was just another step in the battle of Doflamingo instead of being a major moment on its own.

Bebpo

« Reply #2793 on: August 01, 2015, 03:44:40 AM »
Couple other random thoughts:

Fujitora is awesome.  Like looking back at his stuff since his appearance he's definitely my favorite general since Aokiji.  Kizaru is good for what he is (creepy/annoying) but Akainu is a bit boring old angry man but that's what he's supposed to be.  I kind of hope at some point we get a flashback fleshing out Akainu so he's more than just a big angry government man.  Him and Teach are the only antagonist characters I'd really like to see get backstories.  I really want to know what Teach's dream is, and I have a feeling his backstory is pretty tragic and the person he killed in Whitebeard's crew was an accident.  I know Prole brought up that Teach is "an amoral Luffy", but I feel like Teach is more like Usopp x Luffy.  He seems like a cowardly anti-hero who got in trouble and ran away and schemes and uses cowardly methods because he wants to achieve his dreams and he doesn't have the true strength and courage to do it head on (although post-Marineford, maybe he does).  The panel when we first meet Teach before Skypiea where everyone laughs Luffy and crew out of the Bar for dreaming of a sky island and Teach is sitting on the street with a bottle in hand and tells Luffy not to let them get him down, that era the dreams will never end; that's got to be one of my favorite panels/moments/character introductions in the series.  I really liked Teach pre-Marineford, and he was sympathetic, but not sure what I'll think of him when he's back in the story now that he's a yonkou.  Is he going to let the power get to his head and turn super evil?  Or will he still be a pirate with a bottle in hand chasing after a dream?  I wonder if he'll start the former and fighting with Luffy will make him remember the latter.  Maybe their fight can end with them going drinking and singing in the end.

Another thing, Doflamingo's voice in the anime/games is stupid.  He has a voice of a 70 year old man like Akainu or other older characters.  Having never heard his voice before and just reading him talking in the comics for years he looks like a fucking rich kid douchebag party bro with a good deal of crazy.  So I expected him to have a 20s/30s guy hehehhehe creepy crazy voice, not some old Fist of the North Star Evil General "you will never defeat me" voice.  Just was a surprise and I'm surprised if that's the style Oda was going for.

Finally, this just relates to One Piece Musou 3, but they put way too many characters in too early when we don't really know much about their abilities/fighting style.  Wasting playable character slots on Shanks (lol), Sabo (We know he hits people with a pipe...that's about it), Blackbeard, and even Doflamingo pre-Dressrosa, just seems dumb when they could be using those slots for smaller characters with fighting styles we do know from throughout the manga like Vivi, or a bunch of the CP9, Mr.2, etc...

Himu

« Reply #2794 on: August 01, 2015, 03:49:37 AM »
I love how Fujitora just lets dice decide their fate. Just fucking what a badass.
IYKYK

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #2795 on: August 01, 2015, 09:31:51 AM »
I love how Fujitora just lets dice decide their fate. Just fucking what a badass.
or maybe he controlled them with his gravity

:o

Himu

« Reply #2796 on: August 01, 2015, 11:05:53 AM »
or maybe he controlled them with his gravity

:o

I don't remember. I'm going to have to read that chapter again.
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2797 on: August 06, 2015, 01:01:52 PM »
http://readms.com/r/one_piece/796/2888/1

Luffy about to get himself into shit again :lol

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #2798 on: August 06, 2015, 05:10:17 PM »
kinda boring ish
duc

Himu

« Reply #2799 on: August 06, 2015, 05:11:49 PM »
Next week things will get busy :hyper
IYKYK

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #2800 on: August 12, 2015, 12:11:56 AM »
isn't this some jappy slacker week with no jump?
duc

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2801 on: August 12, 2015, 12:36:56 AM »
ya

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2802 on: August 27, 2015, 10:29:17 AM »
O shit.

'What do you know about D'  :lol

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #2803 on: August 27, 2015, 01:08:53 PM »
ohhhh shit just got so real my kaizoku
duc

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2804 on: August 27, 2015, 02:01:53 PM »
This is like the first time the in the series though where Luffy and friends actually outnumber an admiral in terms of power.  I could see Fujitora withdrawing instead of fighting. 

Himu

« Reply #2805 on: August 27, 2015, 02:30:16 PM »
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #2806 on: August 28, 2015, 05:24:00 PM »
That was a nice surprise.  Definitely like Luffy's resolve.  Dunno if he can win, but if he can hey, that'll be impressive.

Beezy

« Reply #2807 on: September 03, 2015, 09:48:33 AM »
 :omg :omg :omg

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2808 on: September 03, 2015, 10:09:13 AM »
Squealing here right now.  Luffy better not say no. 

Where is Law  :'(
[close]

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #2809 on: September 03, 2015, 01:28:33 PM »
i hope this leads up to a huge fleet clash with kaido as part of the next arc

in 2017 :dead
[close]
duc

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2810 on: September 03, 2015, 03:16:33 PM »
Pretty sure Law is going to go get his crew and then come back to save Luffy's ass.  Maybe bring Jubei with him. 

Bebpo

« Reply #2811 on: September 08, 2015, 12:58:34 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=177931361&postcount=9776

Fuck all the so-called fans who think Oda-sama would ever stoop to such a clichéd low!! :pacspit

There's definitely going to be a reuniting scene someday.  It's kind of a big deal and OP is a happy teary manga.

Bebpo

« Reply #2812 on: September 08, 2015, 01:55:18 PM »
Duh, Shanks will be alive.  Kind of defeats the point if he can't see Luffy and tell him how proud he is of him.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2813 on: September 16, 2015, 11:56:41 AM »
Kinda assumed that's how it'd go down. 

That last page with Law smiling *tears of joy

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2814 on: September 16, 2015, 01:18:33 PM »
Also the bounty increase

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2815 on: September 16, 2015, 01:22:58 PM »
Also also Dressrosa lasted 2 years 6 months.  Jesus.

Mods Help

« Reply #2816 on: September 16, 2015, 02:33:39 PM »
Why in the fuck did you spoil this shit instead of just linking to the fucking chapter?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2817 on: September 16, 2015, 02:40:14 PM »
You :piss2

Beezy

« Reply #2818 on: September 16, 2015, 07:18:07 PM »
Arvie... :snoop

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot