Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 342930 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #1860 on: January 23, 2019, 03:06:27 PM »
I haven't messed with my Burn deck in a while, but I definitely would like to try Skewer and Light up the Stage before I run it again. My newest pet deck is Pyro Prison, which combines two of my favorite cards (Blood Moon and Ensnaring Bridge) with Goblins. And jank.

:rejoice
©@©™

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1861 on: January 23, 2019, 07:47:23 PM »
On the one hand I'm glad they banned an actual problem card instead of trying to wound a problematic deck, but on the other hand they could have banned Scrap Trawler and probably accomplished the same thing.

Ironworks could theoretically produce a hilarious deck at a later date (I'm thinking of the one that was around during Mirrodin era Type 2, for example) while the terrible creatures in that deck will never ever do that.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1862 on: January 23, 2019, 07:53:37 PM »
At my Ravnica Allegiance prerelease my first round opponent was a pleasant person but they were coming back to the game from Arabian Nights (!!!) and it was a pretty brutal match for them. When they reported the result to the owner / employee they were kind of exasperated and the owner / employee said, "Don't worry about it, [Karakand] is a really good player." Even though I know that's not true and it was meant to cheer my opponent up it was still nice to hear.

:uguu

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #1863 on: January 24, 2019, 10:55:12 AM »

Kara

« Reply #1864 on: January 24, 2019, 12:38:11 PM »
It's a lazy mechanic (like too many of the mechanics in Guilds and Allegiance) but it's reasonably supported in limited which is more than you can say about Undergrowth, or to a lesser extent Convoke which really coasted on 2 extremely powerful cards with the mechanic.

Love to see the premier normie plane get R&D's top creativity.

Also SHARKTOCRAB.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1865 on: January 24, 2019, 12:49:10 PM »
All that matters is that 2-3 years after saying that Lightning Strike was too powerful for Standard, they’ve accidentally printed Lightning Bolt again in the same Standand as Shock and Lightning Strike. Pyromancers rise up!
©@©™

thisismyusername

« Reply #1866 on: January 24, 2019, 06:37:27 PM »
Off-hand, I would cut at least 2 of those Dead Revels and play Light up the Stage and Clear the Stage. I would also cut the Deface, and add the Plague Wight. Replace a Gravel-Hide Goblin with Priest of Forgotten Gods.

Well, did my jack shit. Played against two opponents that had bombs within 3 turns while I had jackshit going on in terms of either flood or manascrew.

Resigned instead of facing a third loss, because seriously: Fuck that.

At least the Pre-release code this outing was draft, so that'll be a bit more "fun" because I can actually choose and bait the AI over "this is what you get, tough shit" in terms of RNG booster bullshit.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #1867 on: January 24, 2019, 07:51:33 PM »
All that matters is that 2-3 years after saying that Lightning Strike was too powerful for Standard, they’ve accidentally printed Lightning Bolt again in the same Standand as Shock and Lightning Strike. Pyromancers rise up!

viashino, ghitu and tribal bolt  :lawd

Sam Black, Ari Lax and others calling out Spectacle as the weaker of the mechanics   :heh

https://twitter.com/PascalMaynard/status/1087921828889272324  :ufup

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/competitive-modern-constructed-league-2019-01-22
ctrl-f light up the stage  :obama

http://www.starcitygames.com/articles/38111_First-Look-At-Ravnica-Allegiance-With-Special-Guest-Cedric-Phillips.html

"please don't play Light up the Stage in (modern)burn" - Bryan Gottlieb and Gerry T lol. Maybe the old lists, but im still betting it becomes a staple to lower cmc lists and lists rocking 20 2 cmc cards become old hat
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 08:00:07 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1868 on: January 24, 2019, 08:04:15 PM »
I like the idea of running it in Rakdos Burn with Bump in the Night as Lava Spike 5-8. I hate cutting Eidolons, but Skullcrack, Lightning Helix, and even Boros Charm can get cut. Then you could probably drop down to 18 lands.
©@©™

naff

« Reply #1869 on: January 24, 2019, 08:07:45 PM »
seen some lists dropping rift bolt. not a fan, but it is a nonbo with luts. eidolon and boros charm would be the last 2cmc cards to cut, though i could see moving some eidolon to the side depending on the expected meta... so it's gonna be a white splash for me
◕‿◕

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1870 on: January 24, 2019, 08:15:03 PM »
Fortunately the white splash basically costs nothing. You just run 2 Blood Crypts and a Sacred Foundry instead of 2 Sacred Foundries and a Stomping Ground.
©@©™

naff

« Reply #1871 on: January 24, 2019, 08:27:15 PM »
played a stock boros list for the first time the other night and went 3-1. should've won against the resident GP grinder on gds but i prematurely pulled the trigger on a deflecting palm as i had 2 lands and lethal on the crack back but played straight into a stubb  :(. i really liked having 3 mountains. 1-3 points of damage made the difference in 3 of the 4 matches i played though skewer bump lists have a faster clock, so im banking on that making up for taking more damage. got my stages and skewers ready for next week!
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #1872 on: January 24, 2019, 08:31:52 PM »
trying to get Sceneman to play my burn list at next weeks tournament so i can give a UR Pteramander x Yung Pyro list a go.
◕‿◕

Kara

« Reply #1873 on: January 25, 2019, 01:52:12 AM »

I may be misquoting here, but iirc Mark has said the following: 1. designing Red commons is very hard and 2. because of 1., they usually work on Red's commons early in a set, so that means that not only did Skewer the Critics get looked at several times, it got looked at several times over the life of the set's development. :lol

RE dropping Rift Bolt: The card plays very well with Skullcrack so if you're going to move Skullcrack to the sideboard and / or drop it altogether I can see why you'd experiment with dropping Rift Bolt too. I'd rather cut Lightning Helix instead, but I'm also not an expert on Modern Burn.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1874 on: January 27, 2019, 05:54:18 PM »
The Bore represents in the Top 8 this weekend.  8)

©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1875 on: January 27, 2019, 08:56:24 PM »
Sold the Hydroid Krasis in my MODO prerelease kit for 40 tickets. :money

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ever since the Mythic Championship announcement the MODO market has been a bit depressed, so this was a nice arbitrage hustle.
[close]

Kara

« Reply #1876 on: January 27, 2019, 08:57:15 PM »
Speaking of the Mythic Championship announcement, my #brand at the store I draft at is that all my shit is prehistoric (Hobby Japan deck box from 2002, old formula KMCs in colors you can't get anymore, et cetera). At the paper prerelease I went to I mentioned MODO during a conversation between games with my opponent and they replied, "Magic Online? You mean Arena?" Welcome to my shitty #brand, MODO. 8)

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1877 on: January 27, 2019, 09:02:18 PM »
Speaking of the Mythic Championship announcement, my #brand at the store I draft at is that all my shit is prehistoric (Hobby Japan deck box from 2002, old formula KMCs in colors you can't get anymore, et cetera). At the paper prerelease I went to I mentioned MODO during a conversation between games with my opponent and they replied, "Magic Online? You mean Arena?" Welcome to my shitty #brand, MODO. 8)

Speaking of Arena, I got bots out here passing me two Bedevils, two Skewers, and two Light up the Stage. Well, don't mind if I do.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1878 on: January 28, 2019, 01:41:36 AM »
Drafting against humans gave me this.

I'm back on my bullshit, y'all.

This is my sideboard. :lol

[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1879 on: January 28, 2019, 08:59:41 AM »
I beat several Azorius drafters, but Gruul took me to poundtown with Fires of Yavimaya 2.0: This Time it Stacks. Let me play this 2/2 creature, just kidding, it’s a 4/4 Big Chungus with haste.
©@©™

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #1880 on: January 28, 2019, 10:41:11 AM »
©ZH

Kara

« Reply #1881 on: January 28, 2019, 12:39:52 PM »
I beat several Azorius drafters, but Gruul took me to poundtown with Fires of Yavimaya 2.0: This Time it Stacks. Let me play this 2/2 creature, just kidding, it’s a 4/4 Big Chungus with haste.

The early consensus on the tiers is something like: Orzhov, Rakdos, Azorius, Gruul, Simic but that's drafting against hue-mans.

The one round I played against Gruul with that deck was bad but they drew and played Ravager Wurm twice. Glad this is a prince format!

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1882 on: January 29, 2019, 03:28:09 PM »
Small Brain: Goblin Chainwhirler is a great creature, you should run it in Mono Red Burn.

Galaxy Brain: Chainwhirler is a crutch for cowards, play Guttersnipe instead.
©@©™

naff

« Reply #1883 on: January 29, 2019, 04:10:03 PM »
I've considered it and should test. Going to give a mates standard rdw a jam at this weekends ULTIMATE STANDARD(? something like this) tournament. RDW feat Chainwhirler definitely been outperforming non-Chainwhirler lists so far. I assume people have been testing with and deciding against Guttersnipe, but i haven't tried it myself. Chainwhirler is pretty great in the mirror, but is underwhelming otherwise.
◕‿◕

Kara

« Reply #1884 on: January 30, 2019, 02:28:42 AM »
https://soundcloud.com/propoints/pro-points-ep-31-opening-the-draft-gates-strategy

:lol Arena

HEY EVERYONE, LOOK AT DAVID WILLIAMS' ACCUMULATED KNOWLEDGE ON DISPLAY IN THIS PODCAST.
I had to watch season 7 of MasterChef in my last relationship and whenever Dave was on screen I'd say, "Don't forget about your AK, Dave!"
Shockingly I find myself single today.
Just in time for SHOCK land reprints. 8)
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1885 on: January 30, 2019, 03:05:35 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Williams_(card_game_player)

One day I'd like to have a Wikipedia article with a (card game player) parenthetical.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1886 on: February 01, 2019, 01:53:37 AM »
I'm a dick, lol. (My opponent was at 6 before I attacked with the Undercity Scavenger.)

This fucker had a Judith, a Pestilent Spirit, and a Lumbering Battlement. :badass
Too bad they couldn't beat draft commons.dec 8)

[close]
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1887 on: February 02, 2019, 05:23:48 PM »

:snob

Unranked, but still. I haven't played Standard in a minute and I wanted a paper deck for under $20 to fart around with at FNM.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1888 on: February 03, 2019, 06:05:27 PM »

Ah, I see you're a man of culuture as well.

I have the feeling the people drafting these Persistent Petitioners are the same people that were running 4+ Duress in M19 drafts.   :jeanluc
©@©™

thisismyusername

« Reply #1889 on: February 03, 2019, 11:34:15 PM »
Bigger news is that opponent not scooping after doing the math.

naff

« Reply #1890 on: February 04, 2019, 08:39:18 PM »
Mill will always be the ultimate trap for scrubs
◕‿◕

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1891 on: February 05, 2019, 01:28:12 PM »
I’ve been having a lot of fun drafting (mostly) Orzhov on Arena. The bots value Orzhov really highly, so it’s not uncommon to see packs totally tapped out by the 5th or 6th pick, but what can I say, I’m a simple man. I see removal and I take it. The one-two punch of Mortify and Final Payment is really strong. Afterlife does make removal a little worse than usual, but white has a lot of bubble butt fliers to deal with the rabble.

I did manage to draft a really good Simic Gates deck once, with a lot of the good payoff cards. Speaking of which, I’ll almost always play Gate Colossus, and Gatecrasher Ram is worth splashing for in most decks.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1892 on: February 05, 2019, 09:44:12 PM »
Finally got a chance to draft Azorius Walls and it's glorious.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1893 on: February 08, 2019, 11:20:25 AM »
Went from dead as hell to gg when I top decked Mass Manipulation and stole his Gate Colossus and Grasping Thrull. He was at 22 life and I was at 1 after I untapped. :dsp

©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #1894 on: February 09, 2019, 10:32:58 AM »
Nothing gives me greater joy than curbstomping the idiots playing mill and gate decks in the casual play section of Arena with precons as I'm getting my daily quests out of the way for dat gold
yar

naff

« Reply #1895 on: February 09, 2019, 09:14:33 PM »
limited orzhov when you get the big late game pieces (knight of the last breath, ethereal absolution) and the common staples  :lawd
◕‿◕

thisismyusername

« Reply #1896 on: February 10, 2019, 04:43:55 PM »
Nothing gives me greater joy than curbstomping the idiots playing mill and gate decks in the casual play section of Arena with precons as I'm getting my daily quests out of the way for dat gold

Play Rats versus those Protestors or whatever in Pauper right now. :doge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1897 on: February 15, 2019, 11:35:41 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Unranked, but still. I haven't played Standard in a minute and I wanted a paper deck for under $20 to fart around with at FNM.

Sleeved up this deck and took it to FNM tonight, went 3-0. I beat Esper Control, Sultai Midrange, and another Mono Red. I only dropped one game to Sultai.
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #1898 on: February 15, 2019, 11:41:36 PM »
I've been playing that deck on Arena and muderizing people in the scrub queues, thanks based Joe
yar

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1899 on: February 16, 2019, 12:22:49 AM »
Wizards printed a critical mass of playable burn spells and a card that almost just reads “R - Draw two cards” AND nobody’s even complaining that red is too powerful so Wizards needs to ban a bunch of cards and/or make Red suck for next two years to fix it. Truly we are #blessed.
©@©™

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #1900 on: February 16, 2019, 07:43:17 PM »

naff

« Reply #1901 on: February 17, 2019, 04:09:50 PM »
pretty great that white weenie, mono u and mono red are all good -> great rn, and despite what looks like, and is, a great pile of burn and card draw red is competitively disappointing :lol mono U is a fun af deck. been playing versions of that and izzet drakes on arena. i really thought red was going to be a powerhouse staple in this format, but it's merely ok now in best of 1 queues and drakes/mono U and white weenie all feel pretty great against it in game 1. haven't lost a mono R match with U or drakes yet.
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #1902 on: February 17, 2019, 04:13:22 PM »
im so on board with guttersnipe. maybe not a 4-of, but i feel like it's a very under-used card rn.
◕‿◕

Kara

« Reply #1903 on: February 17, 2019, 11:46:47 PM »
Two weeks ago I drafted a really fun Simic deck (on two separate occasions my opponent said, "Gross!" in frustration when I did nonsense with +1/+1 counters) that could maybe have won FNM but I dropped a match and ended up in third place. Then I got caught in a downpour walking home and ended up catching pneumonia.

Anyway, this week at FNM I drafted a disgusting Orzhov aggro deck and cruised to a convincing first place. 8)

[close]

My favorite match was against a do nothing Azorius deck that just drew a bunch of cards. Drew into Orzhov Racketeers and shredded that beautiful hand. My least favorite was the one where I had to cast Mortify on a Coral Commando to sneak in 6 damage. :yuck

Liking this set a lot more than Guilds of Ravnica, and not just because it's full of fun enchantments. :bolo

Kara

« Reply #1904 on: February 21, 2019, 01:40:56 AM »
This version of Chaos Draft on MODO seems pretty bad unless you like drafting W/x fliers, but I did manage to make this happen. :pimp

[close]

:bow Theros block battlecruiser limited. :bow2

Kara

« Reply #1905 on: February 21, 2019, 01:44:20 AM »
Also PTQs are back and I'm feeling all sorts of nostalgia rn. Might go scrub out of a limited one if it's ever held nearby. (I haven't competed in one since ~2004.)

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1906 on: February 24, 2019, 08:39:14 PM »
The Top 8 at the Pro Tour I mean MYTHIC CHAMPIONSHIP had Mono Red Aggro, Mono Blue Aggro, and Mono White Aggro. :rejoice

Even though he didn't win, I like LSV's Izzet Phoenix deck. The Stronghold Shocks tie it all together.

©@©™

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1907 on: February 24, 2019, 08:40:57 PM »
I've been running 4 Stronghold shocks in my Rakdos burn deck. Its awesome

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1908 on: February 24, 2019, 08:45:24 PM »
I found some in a box from when I played back them, and I've been using them too. :D I also have Invasion Opts, but I bought those online recently.
©@©™

thisismyusername

« Reply #1909 on: February 25, 2019, 12:40:16 AM »
Damn, that's a solid deck at a glance. What is [Ral, Izzet Viceroy] there for?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1910 on: February 25, 2019, 01:00:00 PM »
Repeatable card draw + removal, and I guess you can occasionally pitch a Phoenix with it’s +1.
©@©™

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1911 on: February 25, 2019, 05:38:03 PM »
Gonna be sleeving up this bad-boy for FNM

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/worlds-best-standard-deck/

I got obsessed with wanting to cast Revival // Revenge in a burn deck :(

NGL test hands are pretty promising

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1912 on: February 25, 2019, 06:12:19 PM »
The bad thing about Revenge is that by the time you're able to cast it, it may only do a couple of points of damage. :lol
©@©™

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1913 on: February 25, 2019, 06:39:05 PM »
yeah I figure it'll still be good if it deals 4 gains 7 or something (and gets them in the range of a lethal Risk Factor). This deck previously was the rakdos 8 browbeat list but I found I was always dying to an alpha strike when I had lethal burn the next turn and so on. Adding more critters (chainwhirler pulls weight on the field) into the mix with good targets for Revival seems good

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1914 on: February 25, 2019, 09:21:14 PM »

In all honesty I should be just sleeving up this weapon :lol I have all the cards so why not lol

naff

« Reply #1915 on: February 26, 2019, 10:41:19 PM »

In all honesty I should be just sleeving up this weapon :lol I have all the cards so why not lol

is 4 guttersnipe and 2 risk factor a concession to not having the rares?
◕‿◕

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1916 on: February 27, 2019, 10:56:16 AM »

is 4 guttersnipe and 2 risk factor a concession to not having the rares?

It is supposed to be a budget deck, but it's uses those cards by design (whether it's a good design is debatable). I just wanted a deck that's built all-in around burning my opponent's face. There are times when you play a T3 Guttersnipe and it immediately gets Cast Down or Shock'd and that's pretty bad, but if you can untap with one on T4, it's possible to close out the game on the spot.
©@©™

naff

« Reply #1917 on: February 27, 2019, 05:05:56 PM »
For sure. Massive if it sticks around. Pretty nice turn 4 or 5 play too w shock or lightning strike up
◕‿◕

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1919 on: March 02, 2019, 04:15:08 AM »
went 2-1 at FNM with my Mardu pile, definitely needs tuning and the sideboard needs to be able to handle the bad matchups but the deck is damn fun.

Turns out Aurelia is very very good out of a burn sideboard as peeps aren't expecting an ass of that size. She protec, and she attac