Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 342897 times)

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #1920 on: March 02, 2019, 12:19:12 PM »
After I spike a limited pro tour qualifier I'm going to get a custom shirt that says THE P IN MPL SECRETLY STANDS FOR PETIT BOURGEOIS. (I can't quote something verbatim that has inflection disagreement, sorry.) Then I'm going to get into a feature match with Jon "DSA" Finkel and we're going to talk about how social democracy is the left wing of fascism instead of playing. Coverage won't know what to do, the Reserved List will be abandoned shortly thereafter, and Splinter Twin will be unbanned in the interest of competitive diversity.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1921 on: March 02, 2019, 12:24:01 PM »
Also, just wanted to say it's wild that monocolored decks have been so successful at Pro Tours of late, starting from Amonkhet I think it's been 4 now?

Suck it, 3 and 4 color piles of good stuff.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1922 on: March 06, 2019, 11:20:12 PM »
Okay this deck is awesome - https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-52-7-tix-goblin-calamity-standard-magic-arena

I can build it in paper for like 10 bucks so I'm all over this shit

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1923 on: March 07, 2019, 12:27:44 PM »
I'm back on my Modern BS. I've got Izzet Phoenix sleeved up and ready to go. I initially bought into it because it was a good deck that looked fun to play, but now within the past few weeks, annoyingly, it's become the consensus "Best Deck". Annoying because now it's just gonna look like I'm the guy that plays whatever the best deck is. I just wanted to have some semi-janky fun, I'm sorry, I didn't know things were gonna be like this! But I did pay $25/ea for these Phoenixes, so you bet your ass I'm gonna play them. :maf

The agreed upon core deck atm seems to be:

4x Arclight Phoenix
4x Thing in the Ice
2x Crackling Drake
4x Opt
4x Serum Visions
4x Thought Scour
4x Faithless Looting
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Manamorphose
2x Gut Shot
18x Lands

Which gives you 6 flex slots. Everyone runs 2 more creatures, but the split is whether to run 2x Pteramanders or 2x Snapcasters. Snapcasters give you more flexibility, but Pteramander gives you a 5/5 flying beat stick, so that's got some obvious appeal too. Some people run 3x or even the full 4x Gut Shots, I think I'm gonna keep it at 2x. Surgical Extractions in the mainboard are a thing now, either 1x or 2x, I'm thinking of going 2x, to have 4 "free" spells in total. Then in the final slots, people tend to play some extra removal, generally a mixture of 0-2 Lightning Axe, Izzet Charm, and Beacon Bolt. Lightning Axe is powerful removal that synergizes with your plan of getting a phoenix in your graveyard. Beacon Bolt is a 2-for-1 removal that also helps get a card in your card, but at a lot higher cost. Izzet Charm can kill a weenie, be Faithless Looting #5, or counter something annoying.

For now, my final six slots are:

2x Pteramander
2x Surgical Extraction
1x Lightning Axe
1x Izzet Charm

The SB is still undecided. I'd like to have a 3rd Surgical Extraction in the board, but I only own 2 so I've either gotta try to find another (and they're ~$50 :yuck ) or sub in a Ravenous Trap (which is what I'm leaning toward right now). Ravenous Trap seems better against Dredge anyway. Some amount of Abrade and/or Shatterstorm seem like a must. I'd like to have access to a few Young Peezys for when it looks like I might get cut off from my graveyard. A few extra Lightning Axes, maybe a Sweltering Sun or two for creature heavy decks. (Anger of the Gods is kind of a no-go, since you don't want accidentally exile your own Phoenixes). Blood Moon is good against Tron, but I've also heard of people running Molten Rain + Surgical Extraction to hit Tron lands, which also seems pretty dope. Burn is a terrible match-up, so you want 2+ Dragon Claws to try to survive.

Sideboarding for Modern is basically impossible, you just pick a few of your worst or most likely matchups, and hope for the best.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1924 on: March 07, 2019, 02:00:16 PM »
n/m Surgical Extractions are now ~$70. I can almost get an actual surgical extraction for that price. 😩
©@©™

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1925 on: March 07, 2019, 03:32:50 PM »
Apparently the new premium set - "Modern Horizons" will contain no cards which are currently in modern, so no extraction reprint anytime soon  :'(

Unless of course Conspiracy 3 comes out this year or something, but thats not the kind of card you'd see in Conspiracy anyway :(

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1926 on: March 07, 2019, 03:37:52 PM »
Yeah, Fetch Lands started spiking as soon as they announced no reprints for Modern Horizons. Scalding Tarn is up to $100 and Misty Rainforest is over $60.
©@©™

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1927 on: March 07, 2019, 04:20:40 PM »
I'd like to play more modern but just don't have the time or money. I have a ponza shell which can be a pretty good deck but I have no idea about sideboarding and stuff. It's so good winning with a T2 Chandra Torch of Defiance on the play though :bow

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1928 on: March 07, 2019, 04:43:34 PM »
I’ve been slowly acquiring Modern staples over the past two years. I only needed Phoenix and and 2 Thing in the Ice for this build, which still cost me $125, but it’s cheap by Modern standards. The full deck is over a grand at this point, more than half of which is in Surgicals and Tarns. Maybe I should just sell it all now before they ban Faithless Looting, lol.
©@©™

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1929 on: March 09, 2019, 06:08:53 AM »
Believe it or not my midrange browbeat brew has been performing pretty well. Managed to take down Gruul Aggro and Esper Conrol at fnm. Won 3 games off the back of Revival/Revenge alone. One time I domed for 10 gained 8 (saving me from death on the crackback), then triple lightning striked the next turn. Jaya Ballard has been a sick one-of. She can power out those risk factors like a pro and cycle the extra lands pulled from the sword-points. I've got the hang of sideboarding this thing pretty well now also.

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/worlds-best-standard-deck/

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #1930 on: March 10, 2019, 07:42:29 PM »
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/closer-look-stained-glass-planeswalkers-2019-03-08

What's more, each of these 36 Planeswalkers will have a planeswalker card in War of the Spark. (The card art will be different, though—in fact, these stained-glass versions aren't appearing on cards at all!)

:doge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1931 on: March 11, 2019, 12:30:42 PM »
Bleh, I had an awful time at Regionals on Saturday. I went 1-2 drop, which is never where you want to be, but the losses weren't as disheartening as the misplays. I let myself get rattled early and was making mistakes all over the board. I had a first round match up against Mono-Red Phoenix where I probably lost at least one game to a misplay. I tried to psyche myself up for round 2 and it seemed to work, as I had a fairly clean match against Grixis Death Shadow that I won 2-1 by making some smart plays. Round 3 I went up against Tron, which is a terrible match up that I wouldn't have felt bad about losing to, except in Game 2 I locked myself under my own Blood Moon with no blue sources, which was not a misplay because it probably kept me alive 3-4 extra turns, but then I kept forgetting about it and had to be reminded twice by my opponent, which made my feel like a jackass.

I've got an IQ this Saturday and I kinda want to just fall back to one of my comfort decks, Burn or Skred, but I'm gonna be a man. :shaking
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #1932 on: March 11, 2019, 01:06:48 PM »
I guess they're moving planeswalkers back to rare from mythic at least for one set  :thinking
yar

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1933 on: March 11, 2019, 01:27:23 PM »
I guess they're moving planeswalkers back to rare from mythic at least for one set  :thinking

Does it even matter if they call them rare or a mythic if you’re guaranteed to get on in every pack? Unless there’s gonna be “uncommon” garbage walkers and then “rare” good ones, which certainly feels like a possibility. I mean, obviously all 36 of them won’t be playable, but I think for sure we’re going to get some amount of real ones and some that are designed like intro pack walkers.
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1934 on: March 11, 2019, 04:42:21 PM »
TYBALT II: ELECTRIC BUGALOO incoming
yar

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1935 on: March 11, 2019, 05:43:10 PM »
I hope they overcompensate and accidentally make New Tibalt the most broken planeswalker ever.
©@©™

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1936 on: March 12, 2019, 05:27:10 AM »
Having a walker in every booster is gonna make limited interesting for sure. There will be some weird shit going on

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1937 on: March 12, 2019, 05:28:19 AM »
I hope they overcompensate and accidentally make New Tibalt the most broken planeswalker ever.

My prediction - 1 mana walker

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #1938 on: March 12, 2019, 08:54:50 AM »
I always thought they should make a Memnite planeswalker

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #1939 on: March 13, 2019, 05:26:07 PM »
i hope it's just a reprint of og tibalt  :heh
◕‿◕

Raist

« Reply #1940 on: March 13, 2019, 06:08:36 PM »
Pretty sure I've read somewhere that none of them are reprints.

Been having fun with the current BO1 Ixalan drafts. Played about 12 rounds, never went below 5 wins :lawd

Love that set. Too bad it's out soon.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #1941 on: March 14, 2019, 05:13:33 PM »

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1942 on: March 14, 2019, 05:32:17 PM »
That Yugioh video was half-cringe half-24 carat comedy. not bad though

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1943 on: March 14, 2019, 08:23:01 PM »
https://twitter.com/ChannelFireball/status/1105991184206446595

You can't kill it, the graveyard is what gives it it's power!
©@©™

naff

« Reply #1944 on: March 14, 2019, 08:48:11 PM »
i still believe modern can still get to a place where control and midrange are generally better than the more linear strategies without bans. there needs to be a few holes filled, but overall, banning stuff like faithless looting takes more flavour out of the format. starting to taste like cardboard already. i also love the high variance relative to meta deck choice and sb decisions inherent to the format.
◕‿◕

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1945 on: March 21, 2019, 03:21:12 AM »
the "Zoo" deck in the top 8 here seems about as midrange as Modern can get atm. Very interactive with some crazy shit in the sideboard. I cant see how Faith's Shield is better than God's Willing: prove me wrong!

edit: I guess if you have multiple attackers to get through a certain blocking scheme?

https://www.channelfireball.com/top-8-decklists-of-grand-prix-bilbao/

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1946 on: March 27, 2019, 08:16:13 AM »
Is anyone interested in the Mythic Invitational? The format is so backwards - it's so different to any paper situation. Is having no sideboards but multiple decks better for an accessibility and "e-sports" perspective?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1947 on: March 28, 2019, 10:55:28 AM »
Owen Turtenwald was removed from the Mythic Invitational for unstated reasons. There are rumors that he may be a sex pervert.
©@©™

thisismyusername

« Reply #1948 on: March 28, 2019, 11:32:06 AM »
Is having no sideboards but multiple decks better for an accessibility and "e-sports" perspective?

I'm guessing it's to speed up the process than searching your deck, removing cards, adding cards, etc.

You basically scoop, put it in the deck box, break out the next deck box, and shuffle.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1949 on: March 28, 2019, 05:10:06 PM »
Owen Turtenwald was removed from the Mythic Invitational for unstated reasons. There are rumors that he may be a sex pervert.

This discrimination against people on the autism spectrum has to stop
yar

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1950 on: March 28, 2019, 06:29:58 PM »
Is having no sideboards but multiple decks better for an accessibility and "e-sports" perspective?

I'm guessing it's to speed up the process than searching your deck, removing cards, adding cards, etc.

You basically scoop, put it in the deck box, break out the next deck box, and shuffle.

But its all in Arena, all digital  ???

This format is an abortion

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1951 on: March 28, 2019, 06:42:34 PM »
https://clips.twitch.tv/AmazonianCuteFlyPartyTime

that about wraps it up for WOTC

I say this as I am sleeving up my deck for FNM, lol

thisismyusername

« Reply #1952 on: March 29, 2019, 10:42:08 PM »

But its all in Arena, all digital  ???

This format is an abortion

Oh, I didn't know it was in Arena. Still, probably faster to hit main menu, change your deck, and get started than the side-board interface (which is like the terrible UI deck-builder IIRC?) that Arena currently has.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1953 on: March 31, 2019, 04:04:53 PM »

This is actually quite good. I'd board this in vs. Esper in standard. Slow roll the dorks, and block their Moment of Craving/ Absorb lifegains.

Morans in comment sections have no idea how to evaluate fucking cards mang

thisismyusername

« Reply #1954 on: March 31, 2019, 08:13:35 PM »
Wait, there's seriously no way to gain loyalty? Is that the first planeswalker to do that?

naff

« Reply #1955 on: March 31, 2019, 08:51:42 PM »
strong hate, new tibalt is great
◕‿◕

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1956 on: March 31, 2019, 09:26:16 PM »

That slow, somber cover of Linkin Park. :dead
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1957 on: March 31, 2019, 09:52:59 PM »
Wait, there's seriously no way to gain loyalty? Is that the first planeswalker to do that?

Flip Garruk on the front side, that’s the only one I can think of. I bet there are gonna be cards that give loyalty in this set.
©@©™

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1958 on: March 31, 2019, 10:43:29 PM »
Sarkhan the mad can't gain loyalty by itself. Proliferate is in the set

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1959 on: April 01, 2019, 12:28:08 AM »
That's kinda like those stupid story enchantments from Dominaria but a little bit better because it has a lingering static effect on the game until it's dealt with. Interesting that they're going to have "planeswalkers" at rarities down to U for this set at least. I'm betting that they'll get progressively more complicated and "planeswalker-y" as they go up in rarity.
yar

Raist

« Reply #1960 on: April 01, 2019, 01:04:36 AM »

Raist

« Reply #1961 on: April 01, 2019, 03:23:23 AM »
Apparently there are only 3 mythic planewalkers btw (out of 36).

One is Tezzeret, last one isn't known yet but I'm gonna guess Nicky Bobby.

naff

« Reply #1962 on: April 01, 2019, 06:28:42 AM »
Lili's passive ability. Hawt damn
◕‿◕

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1963 on: April 01, 2019, 09:37:16 AM »
Lili's passive ability. Hawt damn

Too bad it's competing with Teferi for a spot as a finisher in Esper Control, so I doubt it gets any play. Maybe if there's a U/B Control.

Or the return of Mono Black. Reprint Hero's Downfall and Thoughtseize, cowards
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 12:02:33 PM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1964 on: April 01, 2019, 12:02:11 PM »

Yeah, Bolas and Shiteon are the other two. Bolas’ passive is that he has the loyalty abilities of all other PWs on the board, lol.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1965 on: April 01, 2019, 12:13:00 PM »
new Karn just wins the game with Mycosynth Lattice

Karn, the Great Creator
Legendary Planeswalker - Karn
Activated abilities of artifacts your opponents control can't be activated.

[+1]: Until your next turn, up to one target noncreature artifact becomes an artifact creature with power and toughness each equal to its converted mana cost.

[-2]: You may choose an artifact card you own from outside the game or in exile, reveal that card and add it to your hand.
©@©™

Raist

« Reply #1966 on: April 01, 2019, 01:21:02 PM »

Yeah, Bolas and Shiteon are the other two. Bolas’ passive is that he has the loyalty abilities of all other PWs on the board, lol.

Wait, what? They said 3 in total.

Liliana and Tezzeret are known, so that leaves Bolas?

Raist

« Reply #1967 on: April 01, 2019, 01:25:46 PM »
Monored am cry :lol

And fucking hell, the new Tardferi is obnoxious.

:doge :doge :donot :donot :doge :doge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1968 on: April 01, 2019, 02:31:14 PM »
I just realized this set is the Avengers: Endgame of MtG. Prerelease is the same weekend that Avengers drops. You’re not slick, Wizzos. If they kill Bolas by having Tibalt crawl up his butt, then we’ll know for sure.
©@©™

Raist

« Reply #1969 on: April 02, 2019, 05:19:54 PM »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1970 on: April 05, 2019, 03:13:08 PM »
Another previously referenced character finally making an appearance.

©@©™

Raist

« Reply #1971 on: April 08, 2019, 05:23:11 PM »

:whoo

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1972 on: April 08, 2019, 05:45:26 PM »
Putting the Battlecruiser in Battlecruiser Magic.

©@©™

Raist

« Reply #1973 on: April 09, 2019, 08:11:20 AM »
Seems more like a Carrier.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1974 on: April 14, 2019, 07:44:31 PM »
The Avengers defeat Thanos, just in case you were worried.

©@©™

thisismyusername

« Reply #1975 on: April 15, 2019, 06:14:21 AM »
From reddit:

https://www.magiclibrarities.net/961-rarities-alpha-beta-gamma-playtest-cards-english-cards-index.html

Interesting to see Righteousness go from +5/+0 to +7/+7.

thisismyusername

« Reply #1976 on: April 23, 2019, 10:33:20 AM »
https://imgur.com/a/TLP4Xyk

Thread on the artists, click through to Twitter:

https://twitter.com/ghirapurigears/status/1120484459877478405

Amano's art is jarring. It looks rough compared to the other Japanese artists.

The weeb in me is liking the Jace and other "animu" art.

Raist

« Reply #1977 on: April 30, 2019, 02:29:35 PM »
Just played the most bullshit sealed WAR round of all time on MTGA :lol

Opponent had 5 planewalkers. 3 of them were Sorin, Jace and Liliana. Other two were Ashiok and another random blue one I can't remember.

Sure, why not.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1978 on: April 30, 2019, 03:13:46 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/bj1rv7/sleeve_markings_that_got_yuuya_watanabe/

This just confirms my suspicion that all Tron players are filthy cheaters, they always have it! :rage
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1979 on: May 01, 2019, 11:00:29 AM »
Neoform Combo is the hot new "oh no baby what is you doing" that everyone is freaking out over because it's pulling off some T1 wins.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1837988#paper

Put Allosaurus Rider into play and use Chancellor of the Tangle/Simian Spirit Guide/Manamorphous to cast Neoform and sac rider into Griselbrand, use Autochton Worm/Nourishing Shoal to gain a bunch of life, draw most of your deck and then kill with Lightning Storm. It's similar to Grishoalbrand decks, but doesn't get hit by graveyard hate.
©@©™