Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2060069 times)

Nuitangg

Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #16740 on: June 26, 2019, 01:52:22 PM »
Stop the Refn hate  :rage

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #16741 on: June 26, 2019, 02:04:31 PM »
Stop the Refn hate  :rage

Only God Forgives is the worst movie I’ve seen this decade.
serge

Tasty

« Reply #16742 on: June 26, 2019, 02:11:17 PM »
Drive was OK.

Only God Forgives was an annoying waste of time.

The Neon Demon is great.

TVC15

« Reply #16743 on: June 26, 2019, 02:47:31 PM »
He didn't write Drive so I suppose I could check out his written stuff and might like it.

You’ve been warned, friend.
serge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #16744 on: June 26, 2019, 04:13:18 PM »
Curse Drive and making 80s nostalgia cool.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Only God Forgives is probably my favorite Refn. Bronson and Neon Demon are good though.
Too Old to Die Young is great
[close]
[close]

TVC15

« Reply #16745 on: June 26, 2019, 05:06:23 PM »

Only God Forgives is probably my favorite Refn. Bronson and Neon Demon are good though.
[close]
[close]

Have you checked your place for carbon monoxide?
serge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #16746 on: June 26, 2019, 05:21:19 PM »

[close]
[close]

Have you checked your place for carbon monoxide?

TAKE IT OFF

Bebpo

« Reply #16747 on: June 26, 2019, 05:58:12 PM »
I still need to see Bronson, I've heard it's his best.

TVC15

« Reply #16748 on: June 26, 2019, 06:05:22 PM »
Alright, I will watch one episode of his TV show, just to confirm it’s the worst thing since the Holocaust. I did manage to choke down 20 minutes of Neon Demon, so I guess I should dose on this before shitting too much.
serge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #16749 on: June 26, 2019, 06:09:21 PM »
Don't give in to peer pressure.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #16750 on: June 26, 2019, 06:13:54 PM »
This.
I made that mistake with 1 episode of Westworld.  :kobeyuck

TVC15

« Reply #16751 on: June 26, 2019, 06:56:06 PM »
I swear he’s gotten even worse with pauses in dialogue. It’s beyond Kingdom Hearts bad now.
serge

Tasty

« Reply #16752 on: June 26, 2019, 10:19:38 PM »

This trailer got me emotional... haven't seen s5 or 6 I don't think.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #16753 on: June 27, 2019, 01:02:58 AM »
watched a couple more episodes of Into the Badlands, it's getting gud.
It gets really, really good in the middle, then super fun in the last two seasons.

I know the show was cancelled prematurely, should I be worried about a lack of closure?
No, it finished well enough, the last two seasons are accelerated so it's like an action movie every ep :lol

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #16754 on: June 27, 2019, 06:20:16 AM »
This.

???
I've only seen the first season, but I thought it was pretty good.
Better than the Yul Brynner film, anyway

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #16755 on: June 27, 2019, 06:44:54 AM »
This.

???
I've only seen the first season, but I thought it was pretty good.
Better than the Yul Brynner film, anyway
I didn't like it at all, but i never saw the movie, so i wouldn't know about it being better or worse.

TVC15

« Reply #16756 on: June 27, 2019, 07:51:03 AM »
The first episode honestly wasn’t bad. I found the second episode really boring though. Killed it after 20 minutes.
serge

Tasty

« Reply #16757 on: June 27, 2019, 11:04:30 AM »

New Scooby show out today, finally something to wash Be Cool out of our mouths. :yuck

Probably won't watch this but cool to see some of the cameos.

Guest stars that have been announced for the show include Chris Paul, Sia, Halsey, Ricky Gervais, Kenan Thompson, Wanda Sykes, Bill Nye, Neil deGrasse Tyson and Mark Hamill, along with fictional characters such as Steve Urkel, Batman, Sherlock Holmes, the Flash and Wonder Woman.

Doing a new take on the New Scooby Movies is such a bizarre move but they seem to be doing it right, so I'm in full support.

Kids today will be baffled by some of these crossovers just like I was. :rejoice

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #16758 on: June 27, 2019, 12:48:12 PM »
Steve Urkel cameo in 2019, TGIF!
©@©™

agrajag

« Reply #16759 on: June 27, 2019, 08:03:25 PM »
watched a couple more episodes of Into the Badlands, it's getting gud.
It gets really, really good in the middle, then super fun in the last two seasons.

I know the show was cancelled prematurely, should I be worried about a lack of closure?
No, it finished well enough, the last two seasons are accelerated so it's like an action movie every ep :lol

I'm up to episode 5 and wow, the fight choreography is damn impressive for a TV show. Can't wait to see it get even crazier.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #16760 on: June 27, 2019, 08:22:07 PM »
Actor who plays Sonny, the show is his baby so he actually had chinese fight choreographers do the show and before filming he sent all the white actors to something like 3 month fight boot camp  :lol

agrajag

« Reply #16761 on: June 27, 2019, 08:41:40 PM »
Actor who plays Sonny, the show is his baby so he actually had chinese fight choreographers do the show and before filming he sent all the white actors to something like 3 month fight boot camp  :lol

Sonny is coo'. The actress who plays The Widow is pretty hot too.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #16762 on: July 01, 2019, 06:10:29 PM »

:lol :lol :lol

Tasty

« Reply #16763 on: July 02, 2019, 09:24:48 PM »
The depth and amount of depraved sexual acts I would perform if doing so guaranteed that the new Buffyverse show makes an appearance at Comic-Con in a few weeks is... incalculable.

Literally dying rn without news of this show

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #16764 on: July 02, 2019, 09:28:02 PM »
The depth and amount of depraved sexual acts I would perform if doing so guaranteed that the new Buffyverse show makes an appearance at Comic-Con in a few weeks is... incalculable.

(Image removed from quote.)

Literally dying rn without news of this show
Yeah, because of Buffy...  :doge
Btw, i loved Buffy as a kid, but i dunno if i'd really want a come back, it's a different world out there.
-
Binged season 1 of Money Heist, it's like the dumber version of Sneaky Pete, which is the dumber version of Breaking Bad, but it's fun, genuinely couldn't stop watching.

Tasty

« Reply #16765 on: July 02, 2019, 09:44:33 PM »
I'm not limiting it to any particular gender, and I'm actually pretty vanilla in bed so there's a whole loooottta stuff out there that would make me uncomfortable. :doge

But I'd do it anyways. 😤

Btw, i loved Buffy as a kid, but i dunno if i'd really want a come back, it's a different world out there.

That *is* the rub, and always would be for any (TV) continuation after such a long gap since Angel ended. And I've been wrapping my head around what a new show could be, and trying to be open-minded about any aspect of the production.

I'm pretty adamant about what it doesn't *need* to do: it doesn't need old cast members, it doesn't need old locations (how they'd do the giant crater that used to be Sunnydale could be interesting, but the comics already went back there... twice), it doesn't even need that "trademark" Whedon quippicisms.

Angel was pretty different from Buffy but they were still believably in the same world together.

Whatever the new show is, it's going to be directed like a film (as all drama series are these days), and while much of Buffy's charm was the low-rent effects and fight choreography, I have no issues with the new show being... a new show. In 2019.

The only thing I will be adamant about is that it maintains continuity with Buffy and Angel (the shows.) Mega super bonus points if they tie-in the comics (whose canonical status grows more shaky with each new issue of the BOOM comics reboot), but yeah, not holding out a ton of hope there.

In recognizing all the ridiculously high hopes and expectations I have for the new series, I've promised myself not to speak about it at all while season one airs. Every show also needs time to find its footing, and if I judged Buffy on its first batch of episodes I probably wouldn't be a fan right now.

I'm sort of expecting an Agents of Shield situation where the first season is kinda monster-y of the week and it gets middling reviews, but then (just like Buffy s2) the second season dramatically raises the personal stakes and becomes something special.

Unfortunately most TV shows really don't have the luxury of finding their place, and get cancelled after one season. I really hope that isn't the case here.

(If it's even been greenlit; last I heard they weren't close to shooting the pilot. But no news is good news? :doge)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #16766 on: July 02, 2019, 10:56:20 PM »
My rose-tinted boomer glasses, paint Buffy's sass as less annoying than modern sass, with everyone "ironically" explaining their own jokes.  :doge

Or maybe i'm just too jaded to let the kids of their fun.  :goty2

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #16767 on: July 02, 2019, 11:17:41 PM »

Angel >>> Buffy.

Could never go back to Buffy on rewatch in spite of loving it at the time, but Angel still holds up.

I love Angel man but almost the entire middle section of it is just fucking rough. It course corrects again by season 4 when we get hardcore Wesley though. Show was at it's best when it was centered around broken ass ppl figuring shit out...not that baby darla bullshit which took up damn near two seasons.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #16768 on: July 03, 2019, 08:19:32 AM »
Realizing I will lap up whatever Danny McBride is yelling in

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #16769 on: July 03, 2019, 01:35:30 PM »
Finished Money Heist.

This show is fun, as i said, but it's stretching believability to goatse levels.
Some of the aiming in the shootouts make the Stormtroopers look like Lucky Luke.

Anyway, i'll tune in for season 3, even though it looks a completely superfluous add-on, to a concluded story.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #16770 on: July 04, 2019, 07:45:58 PM »
Amazon cancelled Sneaky Pete.
Motherfuckers i loved that show.  >:(

At least Seaosn 3's ending could be consider somewhat of a closure, i guess.

Tasty

« Reply #16771 on: July 06, 2019, 10:57:06 AM »
Liked Stranger Things 3 less than Stranger Things 2... but I may be weird, since I didn't dislike s2 as much as it seems other people have.

How they gonna try and sell us Billy after s2 clearly spelled out he's a racist, physically abusive piece of shit? Like just because he had zero scenes with Lucas this season doesn't mean he's not racist anymore. He gets this big redemption moment at the end and it's like "Aww... all he wanted was his mommy!" I gagged at how hamfisted it was. He would have fucked Mike's mom and homewrecked that whole house if the Mindflayer hadn't done us all a solid. (Yes, we find out that Mike's mom decided against it, but I'm talking from his perspective.)

Additionally, this season felt reeeeaaaally small scale. The US gov't conspiracy stuff in s1/2 made the world feel much larger and more interesting than "there's some dinky Russian base with like a dozen badly-costumed extras all cramped together in one place." Like the early Hopper/Joyce plotline should have been more murky/conspiracy-y than it was.

Speaking of, the Russian plotline made no sense and was hardly setup (a throwaway line that was clearly a misinformed character speaking does not count), and in fact never gets explained itself later. Guess we gotta wait until s4! ::)

All the kids are kinda just little assholes now; when they were younger it was kind of adorable to see them spaz out and say curse words and yell at adults since, in classic 80s movie fashion, they were the ones who knew what was up, etc. But now pretty much all of the boys except Will are various levels of unlikable. I'm actually really sick of Dustin now too, though those Verizon commercials a while back probably didn't help. Hopper also got a little character-assassinated this season, he just comes off like a drunk asshole in the first half and a caveman in the second (where as s1/2 Hopper was more reserved and at least somewhat thought things through better.) In fact I think he drives drunk in the first episode?? And it's never really brought up.

And the ending is the most cliffhanger-y Stranger Things has ever been, when the big appeal of the first season was how self-contained it felt. I still can't believe the Duffer Brothers haven't gotten that yet.

I'm glad this isn't the last season, cause I'd hate for it to end on this note. Seems I'm the only one lukewarm on it though.
[close]
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 11:01:40 AM by Tasty Meat »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #16772 on: July 06, 2019, 11:05:13 AM »
3 episodes in - liking all the crush dramas so far.

jorma

« Reply #16773 on: July 06, 2019, 11:06:55 AM »
btw, what are the best currently running British crime dramas?
It's one of the best genres in the entirety of tv, but the last few years since i got netflix i've been out of the loop.

Tasty

« Reply #16774 on: July 06, 2019, 11:06:58 AM »
3 episodes in - liking all the crush dramas so far.

Yeah that stuff is fun and pretty well done. In fact I liked pretty much all the early mall scenes.

agrajag

« Reply #16775 on: July 06, 2019, 11:10:01 AM »
man, Into the Badlands have gotten really uncomfortable to watch with Veil being forced upon  :-\

Tilde   :'(
[close]
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 05:32:50 PM by agrajag »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #16776 on: July 06, 2019, 02:15:01 PM »
Onto episode 6 - really liking this so far. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #16777 on: July 06, 2019, 05:00:25 PM »
S3 was a lot better than S2.  I really enjoyed the tone change.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #16778 on: July 07, 2019, 12:02:29 AM »
Venture Bros S7 up on Hulu. :rejoice

Did they show this on Adult Swim? Dropping f-bombs showing dicks and tits.
[close]
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 02:40:26 PM by D3RANG3D »

bluemax

« Reply #16779 on: July 07, 2019, 03:52:53 AM »
This car chase in TOTDY is the dumbest thing.
NO

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #16780 on: July 07, 2019, 08:18:13 AM »
Halfway through stranger things S3 and Chernobyl. Both are fantastic. Chernobyl has to be my favourite TV this year.
Spud

Himu

« Reply #16781 on: July 08, 2019, 12:41:53 AM »
S3 of Stranger Things was great.

Only bad thing about it was Erica, the black girl. I've seen think pieces about how she's oh so great in passing, and I bet they were all written pasty cacs. She is a stereotype of all stereotypes. The sassy black girl who is always "on", never chill, always with an attitude, always snarky, acts like a complete bee. First sign of trouble she resorts to becoming primal. Takes a green canister of mutagen ooze from Ninja Turtles, bashes it, saying she needs to open because she needs water and if she doesn't have water she'll drink any liquid. The stuff had acidic properties of course. The character is horribly written and only a cac would pat themselves on the back for making a character like this. I half expected her to click her tongue, snap her fingers, and say she didn't need a man. I felt bad for the actress. There's giving nerds guff and then there's whatever they decided how black girls are supposed to act.

Other than that, season was great.

Steve is the best character by miles. Robin also kicks ass.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 12:46:43 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #16782 on: July 08, 2019, 12:44:30 AM »
Venture Bros S7 up on Hulu. :rejoice

Did they show this on Adult Swim? Dropping f-bombs showing dicks and tits.
[close]

I may finally be able to catch up on Venture?
IYKYK

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #16783 on: July 08, 2019, 12:48:10 AM »
Don't care about this dumb show anymore, but will end up watching s4 anyway  :mjcry

Himu

« Reply #16784 on: July 08, 2019, 12:48:49 AM »
Also I have no idea how long they can keep pushing this series. Hopefully season 4 is the last.
IYKYK

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #16785 on: July 08, 2019, 01:07:09 AM »

That *is* the rub, and always would be for any (TV) continuation after such a long gap since Angel ended. And I've been wrapping my head around what a new show could be, and trying to be open-minded about any aspect of the production.

I'm pretty adamant about what it doesn't *need* to do: it doesn't need old cast members, it doesn't need old locations (how they'd do the giant crater that used to be Sunnydale could be interesting, but the comics already went back there... twice), it doesn't even need that "trademark" Whedon quippicisms.
I'm more randomly cutting of your quote more than anything. I really hope they don't go back to The First Slayer just because she's black and they want to do a black slayer though. Going to The First Slayer and The First Evil on the original show were both stupid.

Also even though the comics have tried to do it, I absolutely think a new show should start off by having to deal with the ramifications of Buffy awakening all the slayers. It's arguably the most interesting thing the show ever did from a conceptual level and we got to see like 20 of them as extras lol and nobody outside Sunnydale noticed. When it means so much to have slayers known about and therefore everything slayers fight to stop known about. Even the comic tried its best to sidestep this for long periods because it's such a hard idea to display.

It also should have dramatically affected Angel's ending. I have no problem with it then, but I do have a problem with it coming back now, setting it after both, and not dealing with it. (I hated that the comics couldn't be brought together.)

Arguably, I'd actually probably more like a series that's what Discovery was supposed to be. An anthology of slayers, each season a new main one, throughout time. And then at some point down the road we can bring them all together upon Buffy's calling them and have a bunch of CGI fights to end the series. Maybe it can be a watcher who has to go through multiple slayers.

And I've since changed my mind and think Geller should cameo much like how they sent off Cordelia, the rest they can all be dead. Even Angel and Willow. Just don't it in the first episode, do it randomly and have the characters not knowing they'll be sending her off to a happy ending. Let her die fighting for something. I guess she can bring Spike if they want. It can be payback for her dumb friends yanking her out of heaven.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #16786 on: July 08, 2019, 01:48:41 AM »
I watched 1 episode of ST3, but then went back to Evangelion.
I'll finish it, but the constant "sequence with 80's song" got old quick goddamn, give it a rest, i think after 2 seasons we got it, we're in the 80's.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #16787 on: July 08, 2019, 01:57:41 AM »
Haven't finished S3 of stranger things, but I do think a time skip to the early 90s would be a good idea.
Spud

Himu

« Reply #16788 on: July 08, 2019, 02:13:08 AM »
Agreed. A time skip would greatly benefit.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #16789 on: July 08, 2019, 02:22:42 AM »
Took a break from refn but went back and watched ep6. The beginning where they’re sub-contracting a hit was really really funny.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #16790 on: July 08, 2019, 05:09:28 AM »
Watching Lucifer. About halfway through s2 so far. Dude is SUPER CHEESY compared to Gaiman's own utterly terrifying version of the character, but still fun to watch.

benjipwns

« Reply #16791 on: July 08, 2019, 06:24:02 AM »
He sells it well enough to get you through to liking the ensemble beyond the cops. Adding Charlotte and Ella and expanding Dr. Linda really lets the whole thing take off. It lets them get in more scenes with Maze and Amenadiel too. Lucy doesn't have to be in every scene anymore.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #16792 on: July 08, 2019, 07:34:40 AM »
Finished Chernobyl. Fuck. What a bleak show. The epilogue was depressing as fuck.

Decided to start Mr Robot. Halfway through episode 1. Fucking hate it. Does it actually get good or is it just more of the same. Feels like it was written as some Resetera member's wet dream of sticking it to the man.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 08:01:30 AM by Potato »
Spud

Himu

« Reply #16793 on: July 08, 2019, 08:24:06 AM »
I heard it gets worse as time goes on.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #16794 on: July 08, 2019, 09:42:47 AM »
Decided to start Mr Robot. Halfway through episode 1. Fucking hate it. Does it actually get good or is it just more of the same. Feels like it was written as some Resetera member's wet dream of sticking it to the man.
It's not really about "the movement" at all, through three seasons that's more of a macguffin than anything, a plot device to make everything start to happen. It's mostly a show about how we're going to need verbal confirmation that you're grasping the details of this agreement.

A key part to what it makes it work is that Elliot's a totally unreliable narrator because he never knows more than you do about what's going on.

I don't even think Elliot is the best character. Darlene, Dom and Angela...and Joanna.
[close]
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 09:51:05 AM by benjipwns »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #16795 on: July 08, 2019, 10:04:44 AM »
Finished Chernobyl. Fuck. What a bleak show. The epilogue was depressing as fuck.

I only watched season 1: Not really.
It hovers between bad and mediocre, though it has a couple of good moments here and there.

Cinematography is pretty tho.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #16796 on: July 08, 2019, 10:07:12 AM »
It's not really about "the movement" at all, through three seasons that's more of a macguffin than anything, a plot device to make everything start to happen. It's mostly a show about how we're going to need verbal confirmation that you're grasping the details of this agreement.

A key part to what it makes it work is that Elliot's a totally unreliable narrator because he never knows more than you do about what's going on.

I don't even think Elliot is the best character. Darlene, Dom and Angela...and Joanna.
[close]

I think the biggest twist of the show is that Elliot is probably the dumbest guy on the show. Certainly the most in the dark by season 3. Dude doesn't even know what he's planning himself  :lol
Shayla :tocry
[close]
[close]

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #16797 on: July 08, 2019, 04:24:16 PM »
Yeah, I don't think I'll be watching episode 2.
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #16798 on: July 08, 2019, 04:38:56 PM »
S1 is one of the best seasons of modern TV. Didn’t watch S2 and beyond though.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #16799 on: July 08, 2019, 06:44:23 PM »
S1 is one of the best seasons of modern TV. Didn’t watch S2 and beyond though.
Care to elaborate a little. The execution of the first episode was very poor and having just watched Chernobyl, your claim comes up very short.
Spud