Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2065265 times)

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #16920 on: July 30, 2019, 05:34:44 PM »
Gregg Araki’s show was canceled. Probably because losers like you people are too busy watching comic book shows designed for the genetic underclass.

:(

:nugenix the sex scenes in this show :nugenix

But really, fuck you guys for not watching this. Your loss.

Gregg Araki Hopes Canceled Starz Series ‘Now Apocalypse’ May Live Again at ‘a New Home’
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/07/gregg-araki-now-apocalypse-season-two-1202161587/

i did my part  :respect

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #16921 on: July 30, 2019, 07:23:07 PM »
Some smart calls with the changes in The Boys. I like Ennis' work but he tends to go nasty for nastiness sake way too often, especially when he's working outside of the big publishers. The Boys is a great premise, you don't gotta take it too far and it'll still be good.

Ennis has been that way forever. I completely agree with the assessment. There's a whole streak of Preacher that's just vile, and it's clear Ennis is just being juvenile in a "how far can I push this?!" way.

Just started The Boys yesterday, and it clearly has its roots in Ennis work, but is just BARELY restrained enough to make it palatable. I'm enjoying it.

Also, fuck all those Amazon soccer moms who let their kids watch it and then bitched about it. Look how many warnings are on that opening screen. It's got every checkbox filled, for every type of adult material. Don't blame others for bad parenting.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #16922 on: July 30, 2019, 08:40:03 PM »
Antony Starr, Karl Urban and the dude playing The Deep definitely stole the show acting wise.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Lift the plane? How?!? There's nothing to stand on, it's fucking air!
[close]

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #16923 on: July 30, 2019, 09:13:44 PM »
Homelander so scary :(
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #16924 on: July 30, 2019, 09:14:43 PM »
Antony Starr, Karl Urban and the dude playing The Deep definitely stole the show acting wise.

Lift the plane? How?!? There's nothing to stand on, it's fucking air!
[close]

Get back! Get back or I'll fucking laser you!
[close]

:anhuld
What

Tasty

« Reply #16926 on: July 30, 2019, 09:49:38 PM »
If this happens, The Flash instantly becomes the best live action DC property of all time (including the Dark Knight Trilogy.)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #16927 on: July 31, 2019, 02:30:52 AM »
Remarkable, but unsurprising, that ashamed Infinite Crisis fan Tasty shares that within weeks of the worst thing The Movie Blob has ever said and that's including his regular calls for extensive ethnic genocides in America:
https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/1152637203492683776

Warners has already said the film and TV universes are separate and will have nothing to do with one another. Birds of Prey will have characters already seen on Arrow, etc.
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #16928 on: July 31, 2019, 02:43:40 AM »
Obviously (though that was all laid out how many years and regime changes ago?), but they can definitely throw in some DCEU easter eggs which de-canonize it in an extremely subtle way. Also, they've already had Bane's mask from The Dark Knight Rises in Elseworlds.

Tasty

« Reply #16929 on: July 31, 2019, 02:45:15 AM »
Also I have no idea who this guy is, I only posted his content because it validates my extremely unlikely-to-happen views.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #16930 on: July 31, 2019, 03:21:05 AM »
The current regime is indicating that DCEU's been saved from the trash bin by Diana, Arthur and Harley with them slating it out farther now than it had been before the SNYDER CRISIS, they as usual think Superman is the problem. (And not, you know, spending $500 million on and wanting to start over a film you set a hard release date on. After you did almost the same thing budget wise on the prior film.) The actual always problem with the DCEU "canon" was that they never actually established anyone to oversee it until after Justice League was already in production, Snyder was just expanding to the team out of what he wanted to do and Warners assumed they could do a bunch of spin-offs off his team-up films. Only they never planned any of that out, but all the films are still tied to BvS directly. (Nothing from JL except Bruce contacting everyone and forming a team needs to be referenced again and Aquaman just sorta vaguely mentions events.) Johns wasn't brought in and then dismissed for that DC Films "plan" until they had already told Snyder to keep going and slated all the spin-offs with the understanding that they'd be tied to and occur (canon-wise) after Snyder's Justice League films. Since nothing happened in JL of any consequence for the other characters and The Batman films are set in the past, that plan hasn't been bothered.

I doubt Warners wants to cross the two streams after seeing Marvel fuck it up so bad*. Especially since Arrow is supposed to be ending in part so Berlanti can keep the universe expanding without everything having to be tied back to it.

*Aside from the failed productions, Marvel chose not to tell the showrunners of Agents of SHIELD that the universe was jumping ahead five years, they apparently learned it like everyone else from Endgame. After the show was already airing episodes post-snap.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 03:29:15 AM by benjipwns »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #16931 on: July 31, 2019, 01:09:40 PM »
Done with The Boys.
I'll reiterate what i've said, it's a fun show, but not as "subversive" as i was expecting.
That said, the only real problem i have, is Hugh and Starlight as characters, are out of place within the rest of the world.
They're basically the straightmen role, but come off as weirdly preachy, when it is really unnecessary.
They should stick to the more colorful cast.

Homelander is clearly the high point of the show (i guess most agree with this) so hopefully season 2 zeroes in on him even more.
Also i remember Antony Starr from Banshee (in which he played the main guy), and even in that show, he brought a good emotional depth to an otherwise fairly simple "action badass" cartoon of a character.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #16932 on: August 01, 2019, 07:11:34 AM »

The Boys is a Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc™ production, you say?

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #16933 on: August 01, 2019, 12:23:15 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

When he sells her the more expensive HDMI, in that scene, i assumed it was to show him being a cunt.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #16934 on: August 01, 2019, 01:09:07 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

When he sells her the more expensive HDMI, in that scene, i assumed it was to show him being a cunt.

There's crazy amounts of product placement, but thats just a straight up 5 minute onscreen sales pitch :trumps

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #16935 on: August 01, 2019, 03:27:08 PM »
I can't wait for The Boys' 5 minutes of fame to be over because I keep thinking everyone is talking about Les Boys, a valued part of Québécois culture, which you aren't.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #16936 on: August 01, 2019, 03:31:47 PM »
I can't wait for The Boys' 5 minutes of fame to be over because I keep thinking everyone is talking about Les Boys, a valued part of Québécois culture, which you aren't.

::)

:pimp

Mistress 9

« Reply #16937 on: August 01, 2019, 04:02:09 PM »
Really enjoyed The Boys. Finished it over 2 nights I think?

I feel like its super cringe-worthy at times but I think thats the fault of the inexperienced actors and weird as fuck material. Its fucking wild shit to work with so I can't be too harsh on them. I definitely think throwing some more money at the special effects in future seasons (which I'm sure it will have) and a couple of the actors coming into their own a bit will give the show the more serious feel it was desperately trying to have but very much lacked for me. I did like Homelander a lot although he was way too obtusely machiavellian at times.

Overall really liked it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 04:06:31 PM by Mistress 9 »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #16938 on: August 02, 2019, 03:47:39 PM »
Too Old to Die Young (4 episodes so far).
I don't mind slow burners.
I like nihilistic art/shows.
I like violent, vile art/shows.
I like the whole neon aesthetic.
I even enjoyed some aspects of Only god Forgives.

But this show is fucking taking the piss with those pans back and forth.  :lol

Jia Zhangke's Still Life still has it beaten for pauses between sentences though.  :doge

Nuitangg

« Reply #16939 on: August 02, 2019, 04:17:54 PM »
It ramps up the vileness.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #16940 on: August 02, 2019, 05:07:30 PM »
Nice.
Something to get me through the slog at least.

Also Miles Teller walks weird.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #16941 on: August 03, 2019, 03:21:40 AM »
Friends are recommending BBC's FLEABAG. Anyone care to weigh in?

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #16942 on: August 03, 2019, 12:28:34 PM »
It's really really good. Hard to describe it and I don't want to give anything about it a way just go into it build. It's second series also managed to be a little different but still great, maybe even better.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #16943 on: August 03, 2019, 04:16:47 PM »
The Boys is amazing

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #16944 on: August 03, 2019, 10:53:56 PM »
It’s amusing. I’m two episodes in. For a superhero show, it’s really boring looking with some pretty terrible acting at points, and a few of the gags awkwardly crater. There’s more good than bad, though. I’ll be sticking with it unless it gets, like, Too Old to Die Young bad.

Sorry for overemphasizing the bad. It’s just that the bad points are usually things superhero shit gets rights. Like, the show feels cheap with a coat of shiny paint on it.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 11:12:11 PM by TVC 15 »
serge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #16945 on: August 03, 2019, 11:45:39 PM »
I feel like the cheapness in look is on purpose or at least ties into the facade of the sups being less than super.  When it comes to the action and gore it's not really cheap for the most part.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #16946 on: August 03, 2019, 11:58:18 PM »
I was also kinda in a nitpicky mood. I had just finished the iZombie finale, and those eps (and the final season as a whole) had a lot of obvious issues, so I was kind of revved up to notice wrong things.
serge

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #16947 on: August 04, 2019, 05:44:23 AM »

Do you like british comedies that mainly revolve around a lead character who is a massive arsehole and the scenarios that leads them to (as many british comedies do)?

If yes, yes, if no... maybe?

kingv

« Reply #16948 on: August 04, 2019, 06:18:32 AM »
Gregg Araki’s show was canceled. Probably because losers like you people are too busy watching comic book shows designed for the genetic underclass.

:(

:nugenix the sex scenes in this show :nugenix

But really, fuck you guys for not watching this. Your loss.

Gregg Araki Hopes Canceled Starz Series ‘Now Apocalypse’ May Live Again at ‘a New Home’
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/07/gregg-araki-now-apocalypse-season-two-1202161587/

i did my part  :respect

The problem was they created a show that expected millennials to pay for some shit other than Netflix.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #16949 on: August 04, 2019, 03:33:13 PM »
The Boys wouldn't be half as good as it is without the dude playing Homelander. Can't remember the last time a character so totally stole a show.
vin

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #16950 on: August 04, 2019, 03:52:35 PM »
Y'all should watch Banshee (just don't watch season 4)

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #16951 on: August 05, 2019, 01:52:00 PM »

Looks even better than the first trailer

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #16952 on: August 05, 2019, 03:26:35 PM »
Season 1 was a bit underwhelming for me, because i had too high expectations probably, the writing just didn't impress me like i thought it would, but the mood it built and the visuals were top notch.
Still excited for Season 2 though.

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #16953 on: August 05, 2019, 04:34:16 PM »
Season 1 was a bit underwhelming for me, because i had too high expectations probably, the writing just didn't impress me like i thought it would, but the mood it built and the visuals were top notch.

I’m shallow but I sometimes prefer style over substance. That may be why I enjoyed it so much.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 04:38:19 PM by EightBitNate »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #16954 on: August 05, 2019, 06:25:29 PM »

I’m shallow but I sometimes prefer style over substance. That may be why I enjoyed it so much.
I'm fine with that as well, just had the wrong expectations about the depth the series was going to have on the subject.
I do hope they're gonna expand on the slightly sociopathic aspects of the main guy in season 2 though, it was an interesting aspect.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #16955 on: August 05, 2019, 08:59:44 PM »

Do you like british comedies that mainly revolve around a lead character who is a massive arsehole and the scenarios that leads them to (as many british comedies do)?

If yes, yes, if no... maybe?

Blackadder's one of my all-time-favorite TV series, so... yes?

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #16956 on: August 06, 2019, 12:37:11 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #16957 on: August 06, 2019, 12:38:32 PM »
Cool a 10 minute video based on a three-paragraph press release. 

Bebpo

« Reply #16958 on: August 06, 2019, 09:15:47 PM »
Because I'm lttp for everything, just finished Good Omens last night. It's one of the best adaptations of a book from what I remember of the book (probably thanks to Gaiman writing the script), but it also re-affirms my memories that it was a pretty "good, but not great" book in the first place. Like it's enjoyable, but with the concept and characters it could've been a lot more interesting. Also the weird PG-13 tone of people getting murdered in mass but it's all light with no real consequence and general shallowness of everything kinda turns me off, but I feel like a lot of gaiman stuff floats in that safe PG-13 feel and has tonal issues with the violence in his stuff.

I think that's why Anansi Boys is my favorite book of his, it's a light magical comedy story so it doesn't have that weird tone contrasting that a lot of his other more violent stuff does.

David Tennant completely kills it though. Fantastic over the top performance from start to finish.

Gonna either watch The Boys, Cherynobel, or catch up on Legion S2/S3 or Doom Patrol next. And fuck Mindhunter S2 is just about out. This is why I can't keep caught up with TV, videogames, books and music while having a life lol

Probably watch The Boys just because I like fucked up shit, Ennis (but never read the comic) and Karl Urban and it's the thing of the week right now.

Nice.
Something to get me through the slog at least.

Also Miles Teller walks weird.

I don't really agree with this. The show isn't particularly fucked up any more than anything else on TV until like ep7 and then it ends in ep8. So yeah, like 2 eps of dark vile shit.

Then ep9/10 are "Amazon gave me money and I'm an artist so I will keep shooting until I run out of money" like the story keeps going for another 90 mins and nothing happens outside a goofy scene about "Cartel TV" and "White Boy Taco Trucks", I"m not even joking about the first thing, Refn is quoted saying something like where do you know how to stop/end a series? When the artist runs out of ink or something @______@ I like parts of the show (ep5 is the best) but overall it's the biggest self-wankfest I've probably ever seen by a director.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 09:21:32 PM by Bebpo »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #16959 on: August 06, 2019, 11:00:59 PM »
I don't really agree with this. The show isn't particularly fucked up any more than anything else on TV until like ep7 and then it ends in ep8. So yeah, like 2 eps of dark vile shit.

Then ep9/10 are "Amazon gave me money and I'm an artist so I will keep shooting until I run out of money" like the story keeps going for another 90 mins and nothing happens outside a goofy scene about "Cartel TV" and "White Boy Taco Trucks", I"m not even joking about the first thing, Refn is quoted saying something like where do you know how to stop/end a series? When the artist runs out of ink or something @______@ I like parts of the show (ep5 is the best) but overall it's the biggest self-wankfest I've probably ever seen by a director.
Yeah, it didn't go as vile as i was expecting.
Overall, it felt really stretched thin (like, to a comical degree) under some half baked ideas thrown over a style that has become a bit of a clichè for him.
I never loved his movies past the Pusher trilogy, but at least they felt exploratory in a way, Valhalla Rising was different from Bronson, which was different from Drive.
Post Drive, they definitely started to feel less "daring" (though Neon Demon was probably among his best ones, in recent years).
TOTDY is the culmination of all his flaws as an artist, which is a shame, because there are interesting ideas (as i said, undercooked) and there are some good sequences, but ultimately, this could've worked over a 4 episodes stretch (or honestly, even just a 2 hours movie).
Characters barely have any development, the plot is paper thin, and the thematics don't really get explored much.
Everything feels like a way to milk run time, which is frustrating to watch, and numbs you to even the positive moments.
When characters do have monologues longer than 2 sentences, they feels sort of clumsy and ultimately reveal a lack of deeper layers to the whole thing.
And those 2 final episodes are just... c'mon man.

I knew what i was getting, going in, i wasn't expecting Refn to rock my socks with depth, this was still a disappointment in almost any other regard though.
Shame, the trailers had me hyped.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #16960 on: August 07, 2019, 12:40:40 AM »
Cool a 10 minute video based on a three-paragraph press release.

This kind of thing drives me nuts. The same thing happens when I google some in-game solution, every time I click a YouTube link, it's 10 minutes of bullshit instead of ctrl-F on a GameFAQS page.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #16961 on: August 07, 2019, 01:05:24 AM »
Y'all should watch Banshee (just don't watch season 4)

no, watch all seasons, Chayton the neck hunter was fun too :noah

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #16962 on: August 07, 2019, 02:12:01 PM »
And fuck Mindhunter S2 is just about out.
:hyper :hyper :hyper :hyper :hyper

Bebpo

« Reply #16963 on: August 07, 2019, 02:52:12 PM »
I watched the first ep of The Boys last night. Was pretty enjoyable, Karl Urban being the most engaging and best part. Guess I'm watching this show.

kingv

« Reply #16964 on: August 08, 2019, 02:13:19 AM »
Just finished up season 1 of the boys.

I really it’s probably my favorite of the streaming’s services shows...

This is not saying a whole lot, because I think most of Netflix and Amazon’s content to be prettay bad compared to the dedicated cable channels.

It had some twists along the way that I don’t think it telegraphed too obviously. I didn’t actually expect the final scene. I was expecting a different swerve instead.

Bebpo

« Reply #16965 on: August 08, 2019, 02:29:00 AM »
Yeah, finished ep3 and I'm enjoying this. A lot of it feels kinda standard comic stuff but the Homelander sub-plot is basically Brightburn except fixing most or all of the issues I had with Brighburn. Normally it takes me about a month to get through an 8 ep show, but probably be done with this in a week.

Not sure if I'll wait for S2 after or just go ahead and read the comic.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #16966 on: August 08, 2019, 03:12:56 AM »
Comic is nothing like the show really. Like I said earlier Ennis stuff is really nasty and the comic version of this is really fucked and gross in a lot of ways. Story arc/beat wise the show has surprisingly covered a lot of the comic already and I'm actually not sure how they're going to go past a second season.

bluemax

« Reply #16967 on: August 08, 2019, 03:44:34 AM »
Yeah the show took a lot of concepts from the comics and kind of re-imagined them. Some parts I feel like don't work as well because there isn't as much build up, but also they cut a lot of the out and out nastiness of the comics.
NO

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #16968 on: August 08, 2019, 04:07:44 AM »
Finished The Boys

Good stuff, maybe my new favorite Amazon show.

Sneaky Pete still bae though <3

dat Patriot tho

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #16969 on: August 08, 2019, 11:40:58 AM »
What if I'm an edgelord who loves Ennis nastiness?*

I just started the first ep and I'm enjoying it so far. I do dislike the grey filter as that is a pet peeve of mine in modern TV shows and movies but I get why they went with it. So far even if it's not beholden to the comic at least it seems like a good show in a vacuum, which is not something I would say about the godawful Preacher show.

*I'll probably read the comic after I finish the first season anyway like I did with Doom Patrol anyway.

If you like Ennis give the book a shot.

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #16970 on: August 08, 2019, 01:39:52 PM »
patriot is very good but i think it's been cancelled  :(

Bebpo

« Reply #16971 on: August 08, 2019, 01:46:43 PM »
What if I'm an edgelord who loves Ennis nastiness?*

I just started the first ep and I'm enjoying it so far. I do dislike the grey filter as that is a pet peeve of mine in modern TV shows and movies but I get why they went with it. So far even if it's not beholden to the comic at least it seems like a good show in a vacuum, which is not something I would say about the godawful Preacher show.

*I'll probably read the comic after I finish the first season anyway like I did with Doom Patrol anyway.

If you like Ennis give the book a shot.

Yeah, I mean I liked Preacher (comic) and his Punisher comic run. It's pretty fucked up nasty at times but his comics are very entertaining. Unlike say, Mark Miller, I don't have a problem with Ennis' comics. They feel less trying to be edgy and more just taking a piss about everything fucked up humor.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #16972 on: August 09, 2019, 06:24:42 PM »
New season of iZombie is up. :rejoice

Bebpo

« Reply #16973 on: August 09, 2019, 07:14:34 PM »
Watched ep4 of The Boys last night. The airplane scene is funny in a very dark humor way and simultaneously also the most fucked up scene in anything in 2019 so far including too old to die young.

kingv

« Reply #16974 on: August 09, 2019, 07:33:26 PM »
Watched ep4 of The Boys last night. The airplane scene is funny in a very dark humor way and simultaneously also the most fucked up scene in anything in 2019 so far including too old to die young.

Keep watching. That show has some good moments, especially considering that it was obpislu sort of lowish on the budget side, I think. They did well with what they got.

And managed to capture the beauty of the Snyder look.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #16975 on: August 09, 2019, 08:14:25 PM »
At the end of Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Don’t know what to do with myself once it finished.

I also watched all of GoT when I was inactive, good shit.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #16976 on: August 09, 2019, 11:43:25 PM »
you should have seen the thread here for GoT. lives were lost.
每天生气

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #16977 on: August 10, 2019, 01:48:21 AM »
At the end of Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Don’t know what to do with myself once it finished.

I also watched all of GoT when I was inactive, good shit.

Don't watch Cuckoo, hoping for more Samberg magic. I noped out on ep 2.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #16978 on: August 10, 2019, 06:03:33 AM »
you should have seen the thread here for GoT. lives were lost.
That’s the good thing about being super late to the party. I was already spoiled on many things (mostly through memes). And I didn’t feel that dead after the show ended since I wasn’t with it since the start.

But yeeeeeeeah, I can imagine. The quality reclined so fast with each season too, but I honestly still enjoyed it all.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #16979 on: August 10, 2019, 12:08:11 PM »
Bronn got a good ending. All I cared about.