Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2065351 times)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #16980 on: August 10, 2019, 06:29:04 PM »
Watched 2 episodes of Fleabag, it's good so far, i'm liking it a lot.

kingv

« Reply #16981 on: August 10, 2019, 10:28:59 PM »
you should have seen the thread here for GoT. lives were lost.
That’s the good thing about being super late to the party. I was already spoiled on many things (mostly through memes). And I didn’t feel that dead after the show ended since I wasn’t with it since the start.

But yeeeeeeeah, I can imagine. The quality reclined so fast with each season too, but I honestly still enjoyed it all.

Had the same opinion;  became enjoyable schlock but still enjoyable.

I came to it late, but still watched some seasons in real time. Biggest problem with thst for me was I forgot who a lot of characters even were between seasons. Watching all at once would help a lot with that imo.

Bebpo

« Reply #16982 on: August 11, 2019, 03:40:04 AM »
Ep5 & 6 down in The Boys, feels like there’s getting to be a bit too many annoying draaaama subplots and Karl Urban’s character is getting kinda tiring and annoying. French guy is the only likeable character. First half felt a little more straightforward and enjoyable. Will see how this ends.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #16983 on: August 11, 2019, 05:08:16 AM »
Ep5 & 6 down in The Boys, feels like there’s getting to be a bit too many annoying draaaama subplots and Karl Urban’s character is getting kinda tiring and annoying. French guy is the only likeable character. First half felt a little more straightforward and enjoyable. Will see how this ends.
We're about at the same point in the show, but it's nothing but positive for me. I never thought I could like something based on Ennis' work this much. I mean, when I was 20 or so, I was really into PREACHER, but even then I recognized him as the comicbook version of a shock jock.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #16984 on: August 11, 2019, 11:09:50 AM »
GLOW is super bingeable due to the episodes being fairly short, and leaving you wanting more at the end, and continues to be low key one of the best shows out there, even if you could not give a single fuck about wrestling.

If you like comedy dramas (dramedys?) that assume you're smart enough to get what they're hinting at without hammering it home in a didactic Very Special Episode, you know, check it out.

Plus lots of Alison Bries tits this season!

Also nice to see Geena Davis still working
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 11:23:53 AM by GreatSageEqualOfHeaven »

Snoopycat_

« Reply #16985 on: August 11, 2019, 02:26:52 PM »
GLOW is very good. Mostly because of Marc Maron. A lot of people probably avoided it because a show about an all girl wrestling team sounds dull, but it's worth watching.

I started watching the Disappearance of Madeleine McCann but dropped it halfway through the 2nd episode because it's dull, bloated and totally pointless. The McCanns refused to take part. So all that's left are endless speculations by a bunch of randoms.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #16986 on: August 13, 2019, 12:25:57 AM »
ALMOST got to the end of The Boys before my 3-day weekend ran out. It's very good, though I'm unclear on why Huey doesn't just bail from Butcher, other than his weakness toward social manipulation. If Butcher made the threats more blackmaily in nature, I'd understand. That Homelander dude, Antony Starr, is incredible.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #16987 on: August 13, 2019, 01:14:18 AM »
GLOW is top tier, I hate that it's not advertised more

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #16988 on: August 13, 2019, 01:27:34 AM »
Also watched the shit out of my remaining s1 episodes of The Magicians, which got really real, really fast. This is available on Netflix in the USA, but not in Japan, so I had downloaded the remaining episodes and kept my iPad in Airplane Mode after boarding the plane back to Japan. Now I'm so hooked, I bought s2 through iTunes, which DGAF about my physical location.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #16989 on: August 13, 2019, 01:41:54 AM »
I think S2 was the best <3

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #16990 on: August 13, 2019, 06:58:34 AM »
wu assassin - cliched drivel but choreographed goodness so  :yeshrug

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #16991 on: August 13, 2019, 09:12:28 AM »
wu assassin - cliched drivel but choreographed goodness so  :yeshrug

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #16992 on: August 13, 2019, 11:41:59 AM »
Also watched the shit out of my remaining s1 episodes of The Magicians, which got really real, really fast. This is available on Netflix in the USA, but not in Japan, so I had downloaded the remaining episodes and kept my iPad in Airplane Mode after boarding the plane back to Japan. Now I'm so hooked, I bought s2 through iTunes, which DGAF about my physical location.
Great show, like Expanse it keeps getting better too. With quite a few surprising gut punches too. It can be hard to recommend because pretty much every maincharacter is a know it all asshole but they actually learn and grow. Good shit.

Bebpo

« Reply #16993 on: August 14, 2019, 03:12:28 AM »
Finished The Boys. That was pretty good. Need S2 now.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #16994 on: August 14, 2019, 01:33:58 PM »
Catching up on Legion, midway through season 2. This show is gud. I put it on for background to do a little gaming but didn’t play any games, might be high

Snoopycat_

« Reply #16995 on: August 14, 2019, 09:51:32 PM »
I started watching the Ted Bundy Tapes. Somehow I was not surprised when I found out he owned a VW Beetle. Fuckin nerd. Imagine him pootling around in his spazz mobile being all mental as fuck these days. Children would laugh at him.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #16996 on: August 15, 2019, 01:05:07 AM »
Children don't laugh at handsome people.

kingv

« Reply #16997 on: August 15, 2019, 07:54:22 AM »
They should have a doctor code where the doctor just like falsifies medical billing codes so people don’t die because their insurance won’t pay for medical care.

A grittier house.

Snoopycat_

« Reply #16998 on: August 15, 2019, 08:14:53 PM »
Children don't laugh at handsome people.

The interesting thing about Bundy was he looked totally normal right up until they showed him being interviewed in jail by a female reporter. He was trying to be all charming and shit but you could see the rage in his eyes. He looked mental as fuck.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #16999 on: August 15, 2019, 10:06:33 PM »
Started watching Killing Eve.
It's fun, but i noticed they changed the show runner for season 2, and that bugs me to no end.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #17000 on: August 17, 2019, 07:46:25 AM »
Re-starting Money Heist; watching this in Spanish is really the only way. The dub isn't horrible, but it's lacking compared to the original. Tokyo and Nairobi are activating all my bad habits.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #17001 on: August 17, 2019, 01:45:36 PM »
Watched The Family on Netlfix, which as a brit I had zero fucking clue was even a thing, and has some pretty scary implications.

Basically its a cult thats entwined with "Christianity" as per Republican bootstraps interpretation of christianity, on the premise that successful people are successful because god wants them to be, so successful people can do whatever they want and get a pass because them staying successful is part of gods plan. Also if jesus was alive today he'd be some asshole jock CEO alpha male type, because thats what god likes.
 :doge

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17002 on: August 17, 2019, 02:13:20 PM »
Re-starting Money Heist; watching this in Spanish is really the only way. The dub isn't horrible, but it's lacking compared to the original. Tokyo and Nairobi are activating all my bad habits.
I'd advise you stop after season 2, but at least the last few episode of Season 3 pick up the pace a little bit.
Still not worth it, it's clear they had no idea where to go after the arc of s2 was wrapped.

Anyway, Killing Eve season 2 felt more aimless and confused than season 1, but it still had its moments.
This show is approaching Sherlock vibes though, so i hope that keep that shit in check.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #17003 on: August 17, 2019, 02:14:20 PM »
Is anyone watching Yellowstone btw?

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #17004 on: August 17, 2019, 07:36:00 PM »
the boys has some future man vibes going on  8) reminds me I still need to watch future man s2  ;)

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #17005 on: August 17, 2019, 09:22:54 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/PoseOnFX/videos/2179458282162920/

I need to start up Season 2, but if anyone is wanting a GLBT show (with a heavy focus on T, like 90% of the cast is Transexual actors/actresses) Pose is solid.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #17006 on: August 18, 2019, 12:58:40 AM »
Mindhunter S2 is so fucking good. Better than season 1

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #17007 on: August 18, 2019, 01:50:01 AM »

Only saw episode 1 but you’re right. Best show on Netflix is back.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #17008 on: August 18, 2019, 10:16:26 PM »

You're the 2nd or 3rd trusted person to say this, so I am STOKED. I really liked s1, but sophomore seasons have not historically been Netflix' strong point.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17009 on: August 19, 2019, 10:49:32 PM »
Manhunter season 2's first half was better than Season 1's, but the second half kind of drags in my opinion.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
They blue ball you with an investigation that's all frustration and very little pay off (which is the point, i get it, but a whole half season of that crosses the line into boredom) and the best part of the show, the interviews with the killers, takes a backseat.
The main cast is kind of interesting, but they can't really carry the show as well as someone like Ed Kemper could in S1, because they seem afraid to really dig deep into them.
Especially Holden, which in this season had little to no development (the panic attacks thing never even came up in any significant way).
Tench is the MVP of the trio, the only one with a relevant and interesting sub plot, but that also didn't resolve into much.

Also, the BTK's little vignettes are borderline webisode level of pointless, given the resolution of that whole ordeal, irl.
[close]

I went in with better expectations of what it was, and enjoyed it more for that reason, it hit the ground running, but then slowed down to a crawl.
I think the slow burning aspect (which i usually don't mind) really needs a deeper dive into these characters, or they can stick to the psychos interviews, those are always gold.

It's still miles ahead of shit like True Detective (even season 1, which i thought was mediocre) though.

Tasty

« Reply #17010 on: August 19, 2019, 11:06:57 PM »
Finished Mindhunter episode 1... Not feeling it at all, which is rare for a Fincher work for me. Not fond of the main character either.

Plugging on through ep2...

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #17011 on: August 19, 2019, 11:11:53 PM »
Manhunter season 2's first half was better than Season 1's, but the second half kind of drags in my opinion.
They blue ball you with an investigation that's all frustration and very little pay off (which is the point, i get it, but a whole half season of that crosses the line into boredom) and the best part of the show, the interviews with the killers, takes a backseat.
The main cast is kind of interesting, but they can't really carry the show as well as someone like Ed Kemper could in S1, because they seem afraid to really dig deep into them.
Especially Holden, which in this season had little to no development (the panic attacks thing never even came up in any significant way).
Tench is the MVP of the trio, the only one with a relevant and interesting sub plot, but that also didn't resolve into much.

Also, the BTK's little vignettes are borderline webisode level of pointless, given the resolution of that whole ordeal, irl.
[close]

I went in with better expectations of what it was, and enjoyed it more for that reason, it hit the ground running, but then slowed down to a crawl.
I think the slow burning aspect (which i usually don't mind) really needs a deeper dive into these characters, or they can stick to the psychos interviews, those are always gold.

It's still miles ahead of shit like True Detective (even season 1, which i thought was mediocre) though.

I agree - though I really enjoyed the ‎Atlanta Monster plot.  I think it's hard to have a pay off for an in the moment catching of a serial killer which doesn't cross the line into weird alt-reality. 

The whole BTK thing is weird because we know he won't get caught until like season 5, since he was caught in 2005. 

Still really enjoying the show though. 

Tasty

« Reply #17012 on: August 20, 2019, 10:53:35 AM »
https://gizmodo.com/report-apple-has-poured-over-6-billion-into-apple-tv-1837392189

Apple spending more per-episode on their Newsroom knockoff than HBO put into each of Thrones' last batch of episodes ($15 mil.)

Bebpo

« Reply #17013 on: August 20, 2019, 10:55:09 AM »
Started Mindhunter S2 and Legion S2.

I realized very quickly in Legion S2 that I didn't remember anything about Legion S1 and so I went and watched a bunch of recaps and then then resumed ep1. Both show's ep1s were pretty good.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17014 on: August 20, 2019, 11:27:23 AM »
Finished Mindhunter episode 1... Not feeling it at all, which is rare for a Fincher work for me. Not fond of the main character either.

Plugging on through ep2...
Holden is the weak link in the show unfortunately.
He has some interesting quirks, but they never get explored much.

I suggest you make it through a couple of their interviews though, and see if that part intrigues you, if not, you can safely drop it.

It's honestly the closest thing i've seen to Fincher's Zodiac in terms of tone and subject matter, but obviously not as good.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #17015 on: August 21, 2019, 06:42:54 PM »
Watched 4 eps of Mindhunter 2.

So far so good, although you're more familiar with the methods they're using and the potential risks the tension is off the charts and Holden Ford remains a very compelling character.
The typical Holden scene at the end of the first episode was just  :whew
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #17016 on: August 21, 2019, 09:28:59 PM »
Fist episode of Murdoch Mysteries - think this might be a good show. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #17017 on: August 21, 2019, 10:52:33 PM »
"Seems he was in debt over this corn shards fiasco"  - really like this show. 

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #17018 on: August 22, 2019, 02:17:09 AM »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17019 on: August 22, 2019, 07:02:28 AM »
Ok so Fleabag was fantastic.

I also started Sharp Objects, and so far it's a bit of bore if i have to be honest, then again i wasn't the biggest fan of Gone Girl in the first place.
The editing and direction are fantastic though.

Some reviews mentioned it felt like a 2 hours film stretched over 8 hours, and so far that definitely rings true for me; especially since, as a who-done-it, it seems to show its hand very early on (?).

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #17020 on: August 22, 2019, 10:39:12 AM »
Fist episode of Murdoch Mysteries - think this might be a good show. 

My parents watch it, but they also watch every murder mystery show on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and Britbox.
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #17021 on: August 22, 2019, 10:46:01 AM »

I also started Sharp Objects, and so far it's a bit of bore if i have to be honest, then again i wasn't the biggest fan of Gone Girl in the first place.

Some reviews mentioned it felt like a 2 hours film stretched over 8 hours, and so far that definitely rings true for me; especially since, as a who-done-it, it seems to show its hand very early on (?).
Sharp Objects has many twists and turns. It starts a bit boring to give you a false sense of security but it'll go places  :doge
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17022 on: August 22, 2019, 11:35:50 AM »

Sharp Objects has many twists and turns. It starts a bit boring to give you a false sense of security but it'll go places  :doge
speculation
Ok, but if her roller girl step-sister did it, i'll be disappointed!
[close]
I'm still early on though, so maybe just a red herring.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #17023 on: August 23, 2019, 08:42:10 AM »
There's one thing definitely worse about Mindhunter S2 and that's the subplots.

ok'ish
- Wendy trying to hook up with a bar owner
[close]

somewhat shitty
- Bill having to please the boss by joining their country club golf weekends to make jokes
[close]

LMAO wtf is this
- Autisty Brian involved in TODDLER murder, seriously no one cares about Bill's annoying wife and the mute kid
[close]
🤴

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #17024 on: August 23, 2019, 09:03:22 AM »
I watched a few episodes of Til Death Do Us Part on Netflix. I have no idea what “Perfectly Spotless” was supposed to be about. :derp I thought it was about the Chinese social ratings system at first, but then I wasn’t really sure.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 09:07:54 AM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17025 on: August 23, 2019, 10:52:45 AM »

ok'ish
[close]

somewhat shitty
- Bill having to please the boss by joining their country club golf weekends to make jokes
[close]

LMAO wtf is this
- Autisty Brian involved in TODDLER murder, seriously no one cares about Bill's annoying wife and the mute kid
[close]
Many shat on the Tench subplot, i think out of the three, it's the most relevant one in how they relate to their jobs.
Wendy is called a deviant and can relate to one of the killers somewhat, Holden's tunnel vision is called into question but he doesn't really have a subplot at all this season, and the toddler one is most significant, in how Tench changes his views on these people and their culpability.
Hell, 90% of the Manson interview relates to Tench and his son.
[close]

The subplot about panic attacks is completely abadoned, so that was fucking stupid and in general they didn't seem all that intriguing, but the Tench one was at least directly impacting his work/main plot.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #17026 on: August 23, 2019, 11:17:27 AM »
 Murdoch Mysteries - episode 5, the one where they find out the dead guy is gay because he has cum in his ass.  This show is a lot better than it has a right to be. 

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #17027 on: August 23, 2019, 11:32:32 AM »
 ???

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #17028 on: August 23, 2019, 11:47:25 AM »

ok'ish
[close]

somewhat shitty
[close]

LMAO wtf is this
[close]
Many shat on the Tench subplot, i think out of the three, it's the most relevant one in how they relate to their jobs.
Wendy is called a deviant and can relate to one of the killers somewhat, Holden's tunnel vision is called into question but he doesn't really have a subplot at all this season, and the toddler one is most significant, in how Tench changes his views on these people and their culpability.
[close]

The subplot about panic attacks is completely abadoned, so that was fucking stupid and in general they didn't seem all that intriguing, but the Tench one was at least directly impacting his work/main plot.

I can't help but see Mindhunter as like, a prequel to Manhunter / Silence Of The Lambs (the original films, not where they started getting silly, or the homo-eroticism of Hannibal the TV show) so I just see Holden as Will Graham, heading for a breakdown by getting too close / too good at getting inside psychopaths heads

Isn't it implied with Tench that
his kid seeing the crime scene photos he brought home with him and accidentally exposing his kid to them is whats pushed him to go all Dexter?
[close]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #17029 on: August 23, 2019, 12:28:09 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #17030 on: August 23, 2019, 12:29:36 PM »
having cum in your ass makes you gay now?  ::)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #17031 on: August 23, 2019, 12:42:21 PM »
No, but making out with a priest sure does. 

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #17032 on: August 23, 2019, 12:43:27 PM »
It's set in the 1890's, so you have to allow for some historical wrongthink.
©@©™

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17033 on: August 23, 2019, 03:03:29 PM »

ok'ish
[close]

somewhat shitty
[close]

LMAO wtf is this
[close]
[close]

I can't help but see Mindhunter as like, a prequel to Manhunter / Silence Of The Lambs (the original films, not where they started getting silly, or the homo-eroticism of Hannibal the TV show) so I just see Holden as Will Graham, heading for a breakdown by getting too close / too good at getting inside psychopaths heads

Isn't it implied with Tench that
his kid seeing the crime scene photos he brought home with him and accidentally exposing his kid to them is whats pushed him to go all Dexter?
[close]
I can't remember if it was this or True detective,
'cause they had a similar scene in that one, with the implication that Woody Harrelson's daughters had access to his work files/photos, and were affected by those.
[close]

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #17034 on: August 23, 2019, 06:44:34 PM »
Finished S2 of Mindhunter.

The case was 'resolved' I guess but you can't tell with all the political bullshit going on. It was quite accurate to real events I read so that's kinda shocking.

I'm wondering what they can do with a third season. My favorite character is Holden and I liked the new guy they were hanging out with in Atlanta much better than Gregg.
Wendy certainly got demoted to a sideshow after playing a vital role in the first season. Her entire plot this season was basically nothing.

the tench plot
I don't recall Brian finding any pictures or anything. In fact, Tench makes it a thing not to bring his work home so he doesn't have case files there.
The big 'scare' as I remember was that Brian found Tench's gun at some point and he started pointing it at things scaring the mom.
They make a small reference to that when he says he keeps his gun locked away at all times.

Anyhow, the 'my wife isn't happy and my son is autisty' scenes were one thing. But all the prolonged interviews with the child services were just yawn.
The strongest scene in the entire plot is Bill sitting down with Brian for ice cream and having a chat about his dad and telling his kid he's scared of him.
THAT was powerful. The rest is a wash.
[close]

Also for a guy that can almost read minds and has quite an understanding of human psychology, Holden is quite terrible at reading the room.  :lol

Not sure where they can take this in season 3. The main draw of interviewing mass killers was already pushed aside (more time was spend on subplots and the Atlanta case).
Some of the best scenes had nothing to do with the main plot at all. Still a great series but season 1 was clearly better.
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17035 on: August 23, 2019, 08:49:16 PM »
Second half of Sharp Objects definitely picked up the pace, but...
called it. :smug
[close]
It would've worked better on 6, maybe even 4 episodes, but it was definitely a marvelously crafted mini series.
Reminded me of Top of The Lake, in many aspects.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #17036 on: August 23, 2019, 08:58:00 PM »
Reminded me of Top of The Lake, in many aspects.
your taste is pretty good so I'm acting on this recommendation, loved sharp objects.

TVC also loved sharp objects  :'(
每天生气

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17037 on: August 23, 2019, 09:09:53 PM »
I heard there was a second "season" (in quotes because it's kind of an anthology thing, so not really connected) of Top of The lake, but only read horrible things about it.
Season 1 was very good, and depressing as hell, not unlike Sharp Objects in that sense, just not as "slick".

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #17038 on: August 23, 2019, 09:12:49 PM »
Season one of Top of the Lake is amazing, easy recommendation. You'll love it shosta.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #17039 on: August 23, 2019, 09:14:45 PM »
I personaly loved the slow burn of Sharp Objects. The music selection and general mood, off the bat, gave me confidence that it would go into interesting places.

Been watching season 2 of Dark and I dig the sandpit sort of environment they crafted in this self-contained time loop. There's something truly terrifying in not only reliving things but having to be the gatekeepers for the inevitable.
:9