Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2041550 times)

Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #240 on: November 29, 2009, 09:07:09 PM »
OH GOD IT'S SO AWESOME
野球

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #241 on: November 29, 2009, 09:15:20 PM »
I can't get into the show. It's nice as a period piece, but I just don't find it very compelling. Everybody fucks around, and smokes and drinks at work. The end.
Watch the whole first episode and you should get into the show.

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
« Reply #242 on: November 29, 2009, 09:16:37 PM »
For Willco that's a part of a normal day working in Hollywood is like.

Any way you're not reading deep enough into it.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #243 on: November 29, 2009, 09:33:15 PM »
I've watched like, half a season. I gave it a fair shot. I guess it's neat if you want to live vicariously through these people, but I can't really say it's very compelling. It's like reality television for the sixties.
PSP

« Reply #244 on: November 29, 2009, 11:00:30 PM »
To each their own, I guess.

I like Mad Men. You like Chuck. No big deal.
野球

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #245 on: November 29, 2009, 11:02:03 PM »
 :lol

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #246 on: November 29, 2009, 11:11:35 PM »
And thank God.
PSP

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #247 on: November 30, 2009, 12:58:28 AM »
I've watched like, half a season. I gave it a fair shot. I guess it's neat if you want to live vicariously through these people, but I can't really say it's very compelling. It's like reality television for the sixties.
WTF??

The point of the show is to show how the social attitudes of the general population, and the advertisers advertising to those people of course, are changing in the early '60s.  I would HATE everything about most of the characters, including draper, in real life but it's still a really interesting show and probably the best writing on TV.  My conclusion is that you have no taste.  At all.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #248 on: November 30, 2009, 01:01:21 AM »
Coming from you, I'm not exactly hurt.

Quote from: am nintenho
The point of the show is to show how the social attitudes of the general population, and the advertisers advertising to those people of course, are changing in the early '60s.

So, you even go ahead and make the case for me that Mad Men is basically reality television for the sixties? Sweet.

I can go to bed now.
PSP

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #249 on: November 30, 2009, 01:20:50 AM »
But there is no good or bad guy in 99% of the episodes and there's no kitschy reality show scenarios.  It's like any period movie or whatever only it's about relatively uninteresting people who's job is to follow trends and make interesting/creative ideas.  From a plot standpoint, people don't just fuck around/smoke/drink.  It's a little bit more than that.

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #250 on: November 30, 2009, 01:40:39 PM »
I'm guessing the bold man from fringe is from the future or something?

no answer that I still have like 6 episode till the first season finale.
Drunk

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #251 on: November 30, 2009, 01:50:23 PM »
No, not really. They just had like an entire episode about him (he's called "The Observer"). It was kind of neat, but it raised more questions than it answered.
PSP

Robo

« Reply #252 on: November 30, 2009, 02:09:05 PM »
Mad Men is exceedingly well written and rarely as cut and dry as it appears on the surface.  Admittedly, it doesn't mean much if you struggle to find the setting even remotely interesting or the characters particularly engaging, but there's quite a lot of depth if you're willing to look for it.  If you're lazy, The AV Club does a nice job dissecting the frequent and numerous integrated literary allusions and cultural idiosyncrasies of the period.

And Draper is just plain awesome.

[youtube=560,345]suRDUFpsHus[/youtube]

Of course, it's no Chuck or nothin'.  :kylielaff
obo

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #253 on: November 30, 2009, 03:04:29 PM »
Kinda surprised that Willco doesn't like a show as superbly written as Mad Men.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #254 on: November 30, 2009, 04:57:28 PM »
It's a competent production to be sure, and I don't think I ever said it was poorly written. All I said is I don't find it compelling, and I still don't. It's a period piece and if you're enamored with that - great - but you couldn't pay me to watch another episode.

Lots of things are well produced, Maurice, and not necessarily interesting. Think of every Ken Burns documentary ever made.

My opinion on Mad Men is similar to that of my opinion on The Sopranos, which everyone loved, but I thought was a facsimile of better mafia stories (Goodfellas, anyone?). It was competent and its cinematography was stunning for cable television, but I could never get into it. And I really tried.

I would argue that the writing is better on Mad Men, though.

And yes, I agree, it's no Chuck.

(Although it has more hot chicks.)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 05:09:40 PM by Willco »
PSP

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #255 on: November 30, 2009, 05:50:54 PM »
Hmm so you didn't like The Sopranos? I've only seen the first episode and I was worried about it feeling generic. I wasn't compelled to watch more episodes, but I'll give it a fair shake

What are your thoughts on The Wire

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #256 on: November 30, 2009, 05:53:30 PM »
I think Mad Men is fucking awesome except for the whole

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Don Draper as Dick Whitman
[close]

That shit is fucking stupid.  The rest of the show is 100% quality.  It's a shame about that flaw though.
🍆🍆

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #257 on: November 30, 2009, 06:02:45 PM »
I've never been the biggest Sopranos fan, but always give it credit at least for kickstarting the recent Golden Age of TV.

I always like too how they'd sometimes build up story lines until they were ready to climax and then just have them fizzle and drop them. The story arcs were usually unpredictable.

___

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #258 on: November 30, 2009, 06:34:21 PM »
What are your thoughts on The Wire.

As a Maryland native, my completely biased opinion is that it's fucking awesome. But it's The Wire, who wouldn't like it?
PSP

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #259 on: November 30, 2009, 06:45:48 PM »
Ah aite. I just didn't remember hearing you comment on it before, maybe I forgot dunno

:rock

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #260 on: November 30, 2009, 06:48:03 PM »
I haven't seen the entirety of the show, so I tend to avoid all the lovefests until I'm finally caught up.
PSP

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #261 on: November 30, 2009, 06:55:42 PM »
Oh shit what season are you on?

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #262 on: November 30, 2009, 06:56:49 PM »
None right now. I watched most of season one last spring, and I've caught a few episodes here and there when it initially aired.

I'll catch up to it when I have some free time.
PSP

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #263 on: November 30, 2009, 09:47:10 PM »
[close]
That shit is fucking stupid.  The rest of the show is 100% quality.  It's a shame about that flaw though.
I liked that because it shows that Draper's whole life is about pretending to be somebody.  The confidence he gets from living a lie allows him to bullshit rich people so well.
As a Maryland native, my completely biased opinion is that it's fucking awesome. But it's The Wire, who wouldn't like it?
It's just like a reality show period piece about inner-city gangs and cops.  It has great production values but there's nothing COMPELLING me to watch it.
/willco-jew

disclaimer: I <3 The Wire.
[close]

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #264 on: November 30, 2009, 09:50:24 PM »

Robo

« Reply #265 on: November 30, 2009, 10:08:47 PM »

[close]

A lesser series would revolve around this as a gimmicky plot device (like Dexter without all the killing), but I think Mad Men has handled it well, as silly as it is.  Draper's true identity is a chink in his armor; it reveals him as weak, vulnerable, and as a coward.  It threatens to dismantle everything he has ever accomplished.  It is a rather blunt way to expose character flaws, and I don't think it's necessary for the series, but it doesn't detract from it.
obo

Fresh Prince

« Reply #266 on: November 30, 2009, 10:11:52 PM »
T EXP is right but I always thought it was the most overt way of
showing how everybody lives a lie
[close]

Robo

« Reply #267 on: November 30, 2009, 10:15:49 PM »
I think the incessant cheating drives that point home well enough on its own.
obo

Fresh Prince

« Reply #268 on: November 30, 2009, 10:36:29 PM »
Cheating is one thing but more fundamental questions of, 'What and who am I?' too.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #269 on: December 01, 2009, 11:59:50 PM »
Sons of Anarchy was totally disappointing. It had all this epic build up and it just fizzled; there was almost no resolution. Even worse, they left multiple narrative threads hanging until next season.

Ugh.
PSP

OptimoPeach

« Reply #270 on: December 02, 2009, 12:03:33 AM »
The new Scrubs was pretty bad, but that's not exactly a surprise or anything
hi5

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #271 on: December 02, 2009, 12:04:18 AM »
Scrubs had already jumped the shark several seasons ago, I doubt a new venue would change much.
PSP

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #272 on: December 02, 2009, 12:05:29 AM »

Just the other day I was thinking "Hey, Willco hasn't talked about the Wire.  I should badger him about it."

Now for Prole.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #273 on: December 02, 2009, 12:10:58 AM »
 :lol

... Really, I just try to avoid discussion because I want to watch the whole series and not be spoiled. It's a shame that it's not streaming on Netflix, because my queue is ridiculously long.
PSP

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #274 on: December 02, 2009, 01:44:11 AM »
"Haven't any of y'all been in the military?  How did you learn a quick-tie?

"......."

"..Draft-dodging peace-freaks."

lol I'm really loving that magic negro duder on The Wire.  I'm nearly done with the first season but it's kind of hard to believe they kept a show like this going for 6 seasons.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #275 on: December 02, 2009, 01:59:13 AM »

"......."

lol I'm really loving that magic negro duder on The Wire.  I'm nearly done with the first season but it's kind of hard to believe they kept a show like this going for 6 seasons.

There's a magic negro in The Wire? And there are 6 seasons?

border

« Reply #276 on: December 02, 2009, 03:19:52 AM »
Quote from: OptimoPeach
-Some of the supporting characters are exceedingly dull. I'd name who, but they're so vapid and boring that I didn't catch their names. Glasses Guy, Amateur Writer Guy, Pipe-smoking Guy, and so on. Maybe I'm just not the most perceptive person. I do like Salvatore and Joan

I can't believe you'd complain about some of the cooler supporting characters (Kinsey!) and then go on to praise Joan.  She is the biggest bore on the show.  She's just a bitch.  Not a conniving, backstabbing bitch that does interesting things....a boring bitch.  All she does is scold people and give jealous looks.  The actress is so gorgeous that with every episode I pray that they'll give her something cool to do or say....but nope.....the scant handful of subplots involving her are all dull.

I love Mad Men as a whole.  It's very easily the best show to come out since The Shield/The Wire.  I'd easily rank it above faves like Dexter and Battlestar.  I love how everyone inhabits this world of facades and etiquette, and so much gets said or unsaid between the lines.  It's really refreshing, since most shows set in a modern era have everyone saying and acting exactly as they feel.  Everyone acts out almost immediately - nobody ever has to just suck it down.  Only Deadwood ever dealt with anything similar.

EDIT:  Bad quote attribution
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 03:26:57 AM by border »

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #277 on: December 02, 2009, 03:24:10 AM »
Well, you did quote the wrong person. But I do admit Joan could just stand there and I'd be enthralled. Mad Men and Breaking Bad are my favorite shows on television, so yeah, I'd rank them above Dexter and BSG as well. BSG turned to crap anyway.
AMC

border

« Reply #278 on: December 02, 2009, 03:25:46 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_negro

The magical negro is a supporting, often mystical stock character in fiction who, by use of special insight or powers, helps the white protagonist get out of trouble.

The magical negro is typically but not always "in some way outwardly or inwardly disabled, either by discrimination, disability or social constraint," often a janitor or prisoner.[5] He has no past; he simply appears one day to help the white protagonist.[6] He sometimes fits the black stereotype, "prone to criminality and laziness."[7] To counterbalance this, he has some sort of magical power, "rather vaguely defined but not the sort of thing one typically encounters."[6] He is patient and wise, often dispensing various words of wisdom, and is "closer to the earth.

You can't argue that Lester Freamon doesn't have a little bit of magic in him :)  He helps The White Man (Prezbo especially).....he has a folksy charm....he has unique insights and revelations....he is disabled and discriminated against (he starts off running the evidence locker, and is further discredited and abused by police high command).  You know they would have put Morgan Freeman in that role if they could afford him.

border

« Reply #279 on: December 02, 2009, 03:30:51 AM »
I asked my dad about smoking in Mad Men and he said it was easily as prevalent then as it is in Mad Men.  I still can't believe how people smoked EVERYWHERE.  Even in their own homes.....you'd think that people wouldn't want their bedrooms and living rooms smelling like an ashtray, but I guess everyone was so used to the scent that it didn't really stick out.

My stepmom also said that infidelity was probably as common as it was on the show, but that premarital sex was not.  Which is weird, because it seems like you stand to lose so much more by cheating on a spouse than you would just sleeping around.

Mandark

• Icon
I would have coined the term as "darkie ex machina"
« Reply #280 on: December 02, 2009, 03:52:29 AM »
Yeah, at first he seems like the standard, wise old mentor figure whose main purpose is to serendipitously arrive and guide the main characters.  They're definitely aware of the archetype because they subvert it for comic effect later on.  But he has his own history, motivations, and agenda.

They practically explain what his character really is:  an older version of McNulty, who's wised up enough to make peace with the system.  Drawing parallels between a black and a white character in this way isn't a huge social statement, but it's also something that rarely happens on TV, like Jay Bilas comparing a European prospect to a black NBA player.

PS If you like the Wire, you should think about reading David Simon's Homicide book.  It's really good, crisp narrative nonfiction and you'll be able to spot anecdotes, lines and ideas that were used in the show.  Harry Edgerton was obviously the starting point for McNulty and Freamon, just like he was for Andre Braugher's character in Homicide.

PPS Don't believe your mom, border.  People were schtupping like rabbits according to Kinsey.  If there was less premarital sex, it's cause there was a pretty sharp drop in the marriage age post-WW2 (which everyone then internalized as being "normal").

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #281 on: December 02, 2009, 02:54:18 PM »
I just saw the sons of anarchy finale.  It was really good but I don't know how to feel about the new arc they just started with the Irish and Abel.  Next season will definitely be interesting.
"......."

There's a magic negro in The Wire? And there are 6 seasons?
yeah 4 seasons actually.  I think that black guy with the glasses who knows hella shit about everything and who always hits on the striper has some magic negroness going on.  He's the smartest and most charismatic character on the show.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #282 on: December 03, 2009, 08:21:17 AM »
Comcast is buying NBC from GE.

What's this mean for 30 Rock?  Will we ever see Rip Torn again?

OptimoPeach

« Reply #283 on: December 03, 2009, 02:02:24 PM »
Quote from: OptimoPeach
-Some of the supporting characters are exceedingly dull. I'd name who, but they're so vapid and boring that I didn't catch their names. Glasses Guy, Amateur Writer Guy, Pipe-smoking Guy, and so on. Maybe I'm just not the most perceptive person. I do like Salvatore and Joan

I can't believe you'd complain about some of the cooler supporting characters (Kinsey!) and then go on to praise Joan.  She is the biggest bore on the show.  She's just a bitch.  Not a conniving, backstabbing bitch that does interesting things....a boring bitch.  All she does is scold people and give jealous looks.  The actress is so gorgeous that with every episode I pray that they'll give her something cool to do or say....but nope.....the scant handful of subplots involving her are all dull.
But she's a fun bitch! I'm not trying to say she's deep and nuanced or anything, but at least she has a shtick. I don't think she gets nearly as much screen time as the other guys either, so maybe the big reason I find her tolerable is because she (usually) comes in small doses.

Which one is Kinsey? I'd look it up but I'm afraid of spoilers. I've only seen up to the 3rd episode of S2, so maybe it just takes some time for the writers to flesh them out, or (again) maybe I'm just inattentive.
hi5

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #284 on: December 03, 2009, 02:18:03 PM »
I'm rewatching Season 1 of Fringe (only got halfway through when it originally aired).
:9

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #285 on: December 03, 2009, 02:53:43 PM »
It didn't even really get entertaining until halfway through Season 1.
PSP

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #286 on: December 03, 2009, 02:54:45 PM »
Yeah, that's what Solo said too. I should have stuck with it.

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #287 on: December 03, 2009, 03:10:46 PM »
Kinsey is the bohemian writer who lives in the ghetto.  He does get fleshed out a lot more in season 2. 

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #288 on: December 03, 2009, 04:31:43 PM »
^Read: the guy with the beard.

Joan is a great character.  She's the alpha female of the office but everything about her is just the opposite of the girl who is actually the highest paid, Peggy.  They both have their own strengths and weaknesses for dealing with that environment.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #289 on: December 03, 2009, 11:05:50 PM »
Cajole, I demand .gifs!
PSP

Diunx

« Reply #290 on: December 03, 2009, 11:21:10 PM »
lol I totally wasn't expecting spock on the s1 finale of fringe :lol
Drunk

Himu

« Reply #291 on: December 05, 2009, 11:20:44 PM »
Still watching Chuck.

Amazed how much Chuck fucks things up.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #292 on: December 05, 2009, 11:32:02 PM »
There goes Chuck again, getting emotional like a bitch worried about his relationship with the blonde spy chick when a bomb is about to blow in 50 seconds.

Loser.
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #293 on: December 05, 2009, 11:39:44 PM »
Finished Fringe season 1, two episodes into Season 2. The group dynamics really grows on you and Pacey is cool. Season 2 started off much stronger for me but it didn't have the whole "Origins" of the Fringe sector to get through.

Diunx

« Reply #294 on: December 05, 2009, 11:47:31 PM »
That chick from the first few episodes of s2 is really hot :drool
Drunk

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #295 on: December 06, 2009, 12:06:05 AM »
Finished Fringe season 1, two episodes into Season 2. The group dynamics really grows on you and Pacey is cool. Season 2 started off much stronger for me but it didn't have the whole "Origins" of the Fringe sector to get through.

Yeah, it gets stronger as the show progresses. I especially like the G-Man Observer.
PSP

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #296 on: December 06, 2009, 12:16:56 AM »
Watched the last Flashforward episode of the season. It was so bad.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #297 on: December 07, 2009, 04:52:36 PM »
This week's Dexter wasn't the most thrilling, but it sure has us set up for a crazy final episode.
zzzzz

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #298 on: December 07, 2009, 04:59:31 PM »
Yeah, I literally have no idea how it's going to end up.

Venture Bros. looks epic next week. Brock!
PSP

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #299 on: December 07, 2009, 05:08:38 PM »
venture bros was really good this week, laughed more than usual
the master is the best reoccurring character

also dexter :o cant wait for the ending
萌え~