Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2046963 times)

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #300 on: December 07, 2009, 05:11:30 PM »
"I look like Rufio!" "You are the Pan, Dean. You are the Pan." :lol

... It was a pretty great episode. The Triad is awesome, and they need more screen time. If anything, that speaks to the quality of writing, that the show has successfully created so many likable characters that there's not enough screen time for all of them.

I definitely have preferred this season to last season, although nothing has eclipsed the second season. I wonder if that was lightning in a bottle.

PSP

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #301 on: December 07, 2009, 06:11:45 PM »
Anyone else watch Friday Night Lights up around here?
___

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #302 on: December 09, 2009, 03:38:21 AM »
Modern Family is fucking hilarious. Holy Shit. I remember watching the Pilot and laughing but every episode since has had hilarious moments.
:9

OptimoPeach

« Reply #303 on: December 09, 2009, 03:12:03 PM »
Modern Family is fucking hilarious. Holy Shit. I remember watching the Pilot and laughing but every episode since has had hilarious moments.
Modern Family is pretty great, yeah. I'm having trouble remembering now because I watched all the episodes in a night or two, but I think there was only one episode that I felt was weak. The narrated life lessons they sometimes have at the end of episodes can get kinda mawkish at times, but I've been a bigger fan of worse shows that straight up abused that same plot device (Scrubs), so that blemish isn't a particularly big deal for me or anything.

I got bored of Mad Men (lol) for now, but I think that show is better digested in small doses anyway. Fringe seemed like the perfect alternate, and the buzz on the last page pushed me over the edge even though I wasn't exactly enthralled by the first couple of episodes. Stuff really starts to pick up about halfway through the first season, and the monster-of-the-week format makes things more palatable in the episodes where there's a lapse in plot progression. Especially nice compared to something like LOST, where sometimes you end up feeling like you just pissed away 45 minutes on nothing (Wow, the meaning of Jack's tattoo, how absorbing). It's nice to have a formula to fall back on.

Whoever said the characters grow on you was mostly right. The banter between Peter and Walter is especially amusing, and I think Noble does a nice job of conveying depth with a character that might have ended up being an uninspired take on the mad scientist archetype had the role been filled by a lesser actor. I was rolling my eyes at his bullshit in the first few episodes, but yeah, he grew on me big time. On the other hand, Olivia was wooden from start to finish. I really don't know if she's intended to be a cipher for the audience to experience the show through by proxy, or if the writers (cough Abram cough) are just a bunch of reclusive nerds to whom the female mind is an esoteric wonder. Either way, Olivia and her assistant are both bland, but I'm actually okay with it for now. It's obviously a show that is more driven by plot than characters, and I'll be happy as long as the series has been thought out better than LOST was.

Planning on starting S2 later.

Oh, and what was the big spoiler Saint Cornelius blurted out in a Fringe thread a while ago?
hi5

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #304 on: December 09, 2009, 06:09:01 PM »
The episode with Ed Norton was definitely the worst episode of Modern Family.

New episode tonight. Christmas episode. :hyper Last week was a re-run, so I'm pumped.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 06:10:54 PM by BobFromPikeCreek »
zzzzz

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #305 on: December 09, 2009, 06:21:39 PM »
That was ManaByte who ruined Fringe

Also Heroes doesnt come back until Jan. Now I have nothing to watch at all on TV. Good thing it sucks. Lost :drool
fat

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #306 on: December 09, 2009, 06:23:38 PM »
season finale of Top Chef tonight :rock

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #307 on: December 10, 2009, 12:48:17 AM »
Why do people watch Glee? It's terrible.
zzzzz

« Reply #308 on: December 10, 2009, 01:34:58 AM »

Soccer Mom Syndrome
haa

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #309 on: December 10, 2009, 01:46:13 AM »

It's terrible when the singing/teenage drama is going on, but the people they cast as the comic relief (like the staff at the school) are pretty funny.  I agree with you though, it's not great.
püp

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #310 on: December 10, 2009, 02:18:56 AM »
I record Glee and skip the musical stuff.  Then you're pretty much left with the funny bits and I like those.

Robo

« Reply #311 on: December 11, 2009, 12:32:32 PM »
Flight of the Conchords is over. :gloomy

Bret, Jemaine and James (co-creator/director) said “we’ve noticed the less we say about the future of the show, the more people want to talk about it, so in an effort to reverse this trend we are today announcing that we won’t be returning for a 3rd season. We’re very proud of the two seasons we made and we like the way the show ended. We’d like to thank everyone who helped make the show and also everyone who watched it. While the characters Bret and Jemaine will no longer be around, the real Bret and Jemaine will continue to exist.
obo

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #312 on: December 11, 2009, 12:34:55 PM »
Good for them. I'm a big fan of ending shows after a couple of seasons, instead of dragging them out forever. I don't think this season was as consistent as their first, but some of their original material was incredible and I think a few of my favorite scenes from the entire run were from this season.
PSP

Himu

« Reply #313 on: December 14, 2009, 10:45:25 PM »
Thanks to the wonders of Youtube, I am watching the original Star Trek series.

For free.

Legally.

http://www.youtube.com/show/startrek
IYKYK

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #314 on: December 14, 2009, 11:09:23 PM »
Nice!

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #315 on: December 14, 2009, 11:10:38 PM »
FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU not available in your country due to copyright. :maf :maf :maf

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #317 on: December 14, 2009, 11:21:05 PM »
NOOOO WHAT THE FUCK FLIGHT CANT BE ODNE NO WHY JESUS WHY DO YOU DO THIS WHY
USA

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #318 on: December 14, 2009, 11:37:24 PM »
Bildi:

http://www.labnol.org/internet/video/youtube-blocked-video-not-available-in-your-country/2680/

<3

Sadly youtube is wise to these methods and has shut them down.  I checked to see if there were any new methods but I don't think so. Thanks anyway! :heart

Himu

« Reply #319 on: December 14, 2009, 11:38:58 PM »
IYKYK

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #320 on: December 14, 2009, 11:42:49 PM »
Thanks Himu but yeah, that's blocked too.  I tried putting it through google translate just in case but no go there either.

Himu

« Reply #321 on: December 14, 2009, 11:43:29 PM »
I'm sorry we Americans are so selfish :(
IYKYK

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #322 on: December 14, 2009, 11:45:17 PM »
:piss Australia

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #323 on: December 15, 2009, 11:45:17 PM »
Been watching old Simpsons...

AMC

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #324 on: December 18, 2009, 12:59:37 AM »
I've been watching the BBC's JEKYLL starring James Nesbitt and that luscious doll from Leverage, Gina Bellman.

As you can guess, it's an update of the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde story. I'm three episodes in, but am enjoying both the humor and suspense. It's only six episodes long, I think (3 discs, 2 eps each so far) so I'll be done with it after a few more train rides (yay, Handbrake). Anyway, Nesbitt is excellent.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #325 on: December 18, 2009, 02:50:44 AM »
Chronovore - stay tuned for the finest rendition of The Lion Sleeps Tonight ever.
vjj

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #326 on: December 18, 2009, 07:52:31 AM »
Chronovore - stay tuned for the finest rendition of The Lion Sleeps Tonight ever.
Seen it; I think that's ep. 2. Fab-u-lous. He's a little off-key though.

OptimoPeach

« Reply #327 on: December 18, 2009, 06:16:15 PM »
I'm a little over halfway through S2 of The Shield and I just want to say that Claudette is a nosy bitch; moral compass my asshole
hi5

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #328 on: December 18, 2009, 06:19:11 PM »
I just finished the series finale for The Wire.  Maaaaaaaaaang that was good.  I really now get how stupid it is when people start comparing the seasons of this show since everything was designed to build up to this ending.

OptimoPeach

« Reply #329 on: December 18, 2009, 06:51:14 PM »
I'm a little over halfway through S2 of The Shield and I just want to say that Claudette is a nosy bitch; moral compass my asshole
Just you wait.  JUST YOU FUCKING WAIT.
Better deliver. Between her busybody stuff and Danny's whole ham-fisted and pointless arc I'm starting to think that I'm just a misogynist

I just finished the series finale for The Wire.  Maaaaaaaaaang that was good.  I really now get how stupid it is when people start comparing the seasons of this show since everything was designed to build up to this ending.
Huh? I don't know anything about how the show was plotted overall, but I always got the impression that they didn't plan anything past the Barksdale storyline
hi5

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #330 on: December 18, 2009, 07:00:48 PM »
They were always planning to end it by talking about the media and the bureaucracy actually, which was basically season 4 and 5.  Apparently, David Simon did want to include another season between 3 and 4 about immigration but they didn't have time.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #331 on: December 18, 2009, 07:16:53 PM »
They were toying with the idea of doing another season about the influx of Latinos into Baltimore and how that changed certain dynamics, but they felt they didn't really know the topic intimately.
___

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #332 on: December 18, 2009, 07:20:35 PM »

Oh man, what I'd do to make it so I could watch all of the seasons of the show at once for the first time.
🍆🍆

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #333 on: December 18, 2009, 08:55:07 PM »
They were toying with the idea of doing another season about the influx of Latinos into Baltimore and how that changed certain dynamics, but they felt they didn't really know the topic intimately.
yeah, since the show had a hiatus between the third and fourth season, they didn't want to postpone it any longer by taking a year to properly research the latin community.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #334 on: December 18, 2009, 09:07:32 PM »
Am I the only one who likes the second season of The Wire? Call me a racist but I find the greek storyline more interesting than the barksdale one.
USA

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #335 on: December 18, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »
I enjoyed every season more than the one before it -- until Season 5. Or:

4>3>2>1>5

But I need to watch it all again sometime.
AMC

OptimoPeach

« Reply #336 on: December 22, 2009, 04:48:26 PM »
Pretty much every female on this show sucks wetback cock at gunpoint.

:piss Claudette :piss2
:piss Mara :piss2
:piss Vic's wife :piss2
:piss Aceveda's wife :piss2

Danny's alright though, and I still have the S3 finale, so maybe when Glenn Close pops up next season she'll help vindicate her gender
hi5

OptimoPeach

« Reply #337 on: December 22, 2009, 06:03:03 PM »
GOD CLAUDETTE IS SUCH A SANCTIMONIOUS TWAT

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Stirring up a humongous shitstorm because some public defender had an Oxy habit? This is the most paltry semblance of iniquity she's crusaded against yet! Why is she so hellbent on forcing everyone to play by the rules ALL THE TIME? Seems kinda dubious that she'd risk letting a multitude of guilty criminals (not to mention the guy that shot Oxy-bitch in the fucking face) walk at the minuscule chance that the attorney's habit affected her ability to properly defend an innocent suspect. It's nauseatingly pious even for Claudette, and it's so obtuse that it feels like a heavy-handed allusion to that saying about letting 1000 guilty men go free rather than imprison a single innocent. What a load of shit
[close]
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 06:12:55 PM by OptimoPeach »
hi5

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #338 on: December 22, 2009, 06:59:12 PM »
wrapped up ROME last night. pretty good, and ended at a decent point. wasn't thrilled with how they handled Octavian, and was also a bit put off by Virenus (sp) and Pullo being the 'forrest gumps' of ancient Rome. still, worth watching.

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #339 on: December 22, 2009, 07:02:36 PM »
The Christmas episode of Modern Family was just plain charming.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #340 on: December 22, 2009, 07:02:42 PM »
I haven't even watched ROME (but I'm about buy the Blu-ray set as a Christmas gift to myself), but this wikipedia quote still saddens me:

I discovered halfway through writing the second season the show was going to end. The second was going to end with the death of Brutus. Third and fourth season would be set in Egypt. Fifth was going to be the rise of the messiah in Palestine. But because we got the heads-up that the second season would be it, I telescoped the third and fourth season into the second one, which accounts for the blazing speed we go through history near the end. There's certainly more than enough history to go around.

That would have been fucking awesome.
AMC

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #341 on: December 22, 2009, 07:14:31 PM »
you may have a diffent opinion once you see it. the second season is a bit stuffed, but it doesn't end badly. the planned third and fourth seasons may have been good, but given the context of the rest of the series, I think the fifth would have been strange.

HBO and the BBC should go in on JERUSALEM. could be sacrilicious.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #342 on: December 25, 2009, 12:58:24 AM »
I keep meaning to pick up ROME. Is every speaking Pig Latin, or do they just use British accents to imply "empire"? (:teehee)

I finished the 6 ep. series JEKYLL and enjoyed it a lot. It gets a little cheesy at the end, but it at least makes sense, which is more than apparently can be said of LOST or BSG.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #343 on: December 25, 2009, 09:52:54 AM »
God, this Rome set packaging is fucking awesome.
AMC

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #344 on: December 25, 2009, 10:00:37 AM »
Watching season 3 of Entourage, the new agent is making my cock crazy :drool
Drunk

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #345 on: December 28, 2009, 09:48:43 PM »
I just watched the last Top Gear special where they go to the rainforest.  Pretty hilarious and I'm honestly amazed that they didn't die.

Also, off topic maybe but the Boondocks are coming back to Adult Swim in 2010.  It was one of the most consistently funny cartoons on TV so I hope the writing is still good after 2 years.

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #346 on: December 28, 2009, 10:07:09 PM »
watching Brisco County Jr

some things hold up, other things don't

it's very enjoyable though as a pulpy adventure western.

Tonya

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #347 on: December 28, 2009, 10:10:23 PM »
can't wait, will write the movie
PSP

Rman

« Reply #348 on: December 28, 2009, 10:49:39 PM »
I'm mildly interested in HBO's John Adams miniseries.  A friend recommended it.  Has anyone here seen it?

duckman2000

« Reply #349 on: December 28, 2009, 11:16:00 PM »
Hannah Montana, Seasons 1 -and 2. It's not great.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #350 on: December 28, 2009, 11:25:48 PM »
I'm mildly interested in HBO's John Adams miniseries.  A friend recommended it.  Has anyone here seen it?

I think it's definitely worth a watch. It skips around so it can cover the most pivotal moments of Adams' life, so it almost feels a bit incomplete, but what's there is pretty great and also interesting. I didn't know much about Adams myself before watching, and I feel like that arguably makes it better, as he's almost a forgotten man since his contemporaries were Washington, Jefferson and Franklin. It delves into the jealousy Adams has of those men; how he realizes history will not remember him as fondly as those three.
AMC

Rman

« Reply #351 on: December 28, 2009, 11:26:23 PM »
I'm guessing with the kid, duckman.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #352 on: December 29, 2009, 02:12:42 AM »
Yeah, I'm suffering through family TV as well on break; nothing but re-airings of J-drama and recycling kids' shows on the HDD recorder.  :( It wouldn't be so bad, but though they're all willing to see the same TV show repeatedly, when I suggest tossing in a DVD movie we've seen, maybe even 3~5 years earlier, suddenly it's "No, we've seen that already." ???

« Reply #353 on: December 29, 2009, 02:25:34 AM »
Marathoned season three of Big Love over the last couple days. Good stuff, really interested to see where things go in season four.
野球

duckman2000

« Reply #354 on: December 29, 2009, 12:21:31 PM »

Yup. Although in all fairness, I'm far less offended by this than I am by the Miranda Cosgrove era of Nickelodeon (iCarly, Drake & Josh). As ridiculous and insipid as Hannah Montana is, at least it isn't propelled by meanness. Obviously I'm reading too much into these shows, but that's my damned job.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #355 on: December 29, 2009, 12:26:34 PM »
Marathoned season three of Big Love over the last couple days. Good stuff, really interested to see where things go in season four.

Heard Amanda Seyfried is leaving the series since her movie career is taking off.  That always sucks, when you lose one of the cast like that. :(
PS4

« Reply #356 on: December 29, 2009, 12:30:11 PM »

Heard Amanda Seyfried is leaving the series since her movie career is taking off.  That always sucks, when you lose one of the cast like that. :(

I was wondering if that was the case with her character's story line in season three, but then they went and resolved most everything at the end. Who knows...
野球

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #357 on: December 29, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »
Maybe she'll do some guest appearances while they phase out her character in some way?
PS4

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #358 on: December 29, 2009, 12:33:13 PM »
Jackson is hilarious sometimes.
©ZH

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #359 on: December 29, 2009, 12:40:34 PM »
I'm betting she'll probably marry her fiance and move out of Utah.  Either that or maybe go to university.

edit: shit I just realized the new season begins in a few weeks!