Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2046134 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #17280 on: November 29, 2019, 09:47:31 PM »
Edit: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc9NsgMHOZk/

Nvm, probably in DARK for the long haul because of this redhead.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #17281 on: November 29, 2019, 10:13:32 PM »
I bought Prole a set of Harley panties at a Hot Topic Suicide Squad fire sale some years back. They say shit like "Daddy's Little Monster" on the crotch and stuff. Next time he sees me, they're his!

Since he'll be sniffing them anyway, what's the most on-brand HQ scent you can rub on it?
___

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #17282 on: November 29, 2019, 10:36:15 PM »
Edit: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc9NsgMHOZk/

Nvm, probably in DARK for the long haul because of this redhead.

Pasty, just like I like 'em. 

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17283 on: November 30, 2019, 05:42:00 AM »
Watching Netflix’ DARK. Good production values, but I feel like there are so many overlapping mysteries that it’s difficult to parse, and I’m pretty convinced that this kind of show is more about mystery boxes with nothing inside. I’ll give it one season, but if all there is turns out to be woo woo fuckery, I’m out.
Dark is the best show on Netflix (unless we're counting Better Call Saul, which is technically a Netflix show here in Euroland).
The first season i also had difficulty keeping track of everyone's name and relationship to each other, but it eventually clicked in season 2, out of sheer habit.
I'm waiting for season 3 more than Expanse, Mindhunter, Stranger Things, Casa de Papel or whatever other big show is on-going at the moment.
Hopefully they stick the landing with season 3 (which should be the final season).

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #17284 on: November 30, 2019, 06:07:01 AM »

Tasty

« Reply #17285 on: November 30, 2019, 09:37:42 AM »
Dark is amazing. Season 2 :dizzy

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17286 on: December 01, 2019, 08:56:11 PM »
Forget the Harley Quinn movie, this is where it's at:

dog

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #17287 on: December 01, 2019, 09:05:30 PM »
 :juicy

Tasty

« Reply #17288 on: December 01, 2019, 09:56:54 PM »
 :cac

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #17289 on: December 01, 2019, 10:26:40 PM »
 :society
©@©™

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #17290 on: December 01, 2019, 10:31:15 PM »
Forget the Harley Quinn movie, this is where it's at:

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17291 on: December 01, 2019, 10:38:29 PM »
:trumps
dog

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #17292 on: December 01, 2019, 10:51:30 PM »
i liked the first ep

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #17293 on: December 01, 2019, 10:58:54 PM »
 :gurl

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #17294 on: December 01, 2019, 11:04:51 PM »
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/harley_quinn/s01

94% on RT, only negative reviews are from buttpained magas. :society

One more woke show, what's the difficulty of doing a show without putting politics?

The pilot is okay, it starts off with "white men" who are rich and evil and all that woke nonsense. As a European, I am getting tired of American race obsession, it's racist and sad, get a grip America. Swearing was overboard even for me, it's like you give a 6-year-old 5 minutes to write as many f-bombs as he can and then call it a script. The violence was also a bit overboard, but seeing it's American, I can bet you won't even see a nipple, because "nudity bad, Gore good". Smh America. It wasn't bad, it wasn't great, it was okay enough to make me curious for the second episode. It's not overly annoying woke like Batwoman, and I'm curious what direction they will take. If it's going to be another wokefest like Batwoman, then you can count me, and most of Europe out. Leave the race obsession out of it.

:rejoice
©@©™

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #17295 on: December 01, 2019, 11:08:52 PM »
God, watching Treadstone (unwillingly) after Mr. Robot is hilarious: So many fake computer scenes/OS's in it. It's a hilarious juxtaposition of shows.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #17296 on: December 01, 2019, 11:11:20 PM »
I'll probably watch ep 2, but it really is a show for women  :doge

bluemax

« Reply #17297 on: December 03, 2019, 02:19:48 AM »
That episode was weird, the music and sound effects were so cartoonish with the whole pseudo play thing, but in terms of character development, whew. Serious fucking gut punch episode (which almost every episode is this season). I thought we'd find out about Elliott's potential third persona but nope.

Has every episode this season had the credits list either a DV or Suicide prevention hotline?
ep seemed like a budget saver for the season. like they needed to use the money on another episode, so they just cheaped on one and this was it.

This weeks episode felt a bit like another budget filler as well. It did move the plot forward and I guess it is nice that the tension wasn't nearly as heart racing as most of the season.

Also I've completely lost track of how much time is passing in these episodes now. I think the last 3 or 4 all happened in a single day which is just absurd. I think maybe this season was just a tad too long so they are having to pad it out or something?
NO

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #17298 on: December 04, 2019, 03:09:37 AM »
jack ryan - watched both seasons and this is not very good; it's like the later seasons of 24 without any of the self-aware campiness

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #17299 on: December 04, 2019, 03:21:47 AM »
That episode was weird, the music and sound effects were so cartoonish with the whole pseudo play thing, but in terms of character development, whew. Serious fucking gut punch episode (which almost every episode is this season). I thought we'd find out about Elliott's potential third persona but nope.

Has every episode this season had the credits list either a DV or Suicide prevention hotline?
ep seemed like a budget saver for the season. like they needed to use the money on another episode, so they just cheaped on one and this was it.

This weeks episode felt a bit like another budget filler as well. It did move the plot forward and I guess it is nice that the tension wasn't nearly as heart racing as most of the season.

Also I've completely lost track of how much time is passing in these episodes now. I think the last 3 or 4 all happened in a single day which is just absurd. I think maybe this season was just a tad too long so they are having to pad it out or something?
am I supposed to be happy when white rose plans are foiled by those pesky kids? super secret thing in africa made by the chinamen and it must be stopped! foh  ::) I've been rooting for the T for a while now, but even that's been  ::) like just kill them all nicca and liberate wakanda or whatever the hell supposed to be going on  :lol

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17300 on: December 04, 2019, 06:32:34 AM »
Watched a couple of episodes of "My Brilliant Friend".
It's a bit too on the melodramatic side for my taste, but it's also quite depressing, so it balances out alright.

2 episodes in, it's not not clear where they're going with it, but i'm intrigued.
Child actors are mostly good, which is something i was worried about.

bluemax

« Reply #17301 on: December 05, 2019, 12:01:11 AM »

am I supposed to be happy when white rose plans are foiled by those pesky kids? super secret thing in africa made by the chinamen and it must be stopped! foh  ::) I've been rooting for the T for a while now, but even that's been  ::) like just kill them all nicca and liberate wakanda or whatever the hell supposed to be going on  :lol

I think it would probably help if we knew fucking anything about White Rose's plan. Maybe she's trying to do something really good for the world and these petty ass American teenagers are just mad at her for poisoning their parents and brutally murdering all their friends and loved ones. They've got 4 episodes left to tie all this nonsense together and I'm losing faith.
NO

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #17302 on: December 05, 2019, 11:05:13 PM »
Whiterose's machine isn't the central point of the show. What the fuck do you two expect? :lol She's the big bad because she led a conspiracy-level Illuminati group (Dues Group, shown this episode) that the hacking group (fsociety) is trying to fight/change the status quo on.

Even Price tells you in Season 3's finale/4's opening: "Her machine/idea... it's a joke. It's unfeasible."

Her mentioning Angela being alive is Sam throwing shade at all the "TIME TRAVEL CONFIRMED!" theory bullshit /r/MrRobot has had over the years.
---

Anyway:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11199668/?ref_=tt_eps_cu_n

What the fuck did I just watch? Some Incel supposedly being trained to be a mass shooter that then shoots himself and the guy that trained him gets pissed about it finding it in an online news article. :doge

God no wonder TV sucks ass now a days and shows like Mr. Robot is rare. :'(

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #17303 on: December 06, 2019, 06:51:39 PM »
Fleabag  :heart
:9

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #17304 on: December 06, 2019, 09:02:39 PM »
I love this series so much. It seems to lean more into the macro and micro in the second season to greater effect.

Tasty

« Reply #17305 on: December 06, 2019, 09:52:13 PM »

:jawalrus

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17307 on: December 08, 2019, 05:51:02 AM »
How the fuck can you watch these superhero shows and take them seriously?
I'll admit seeing OG Flash in there surprised me though, i used to watch that shit as a little kid.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #17308 on: December 08, 2019, 07:13:49 AM »

:jawalrus

I just finished the parts of Crisis on Earth-X that are available on Netflix Japan. No Legends, no Supergirl. Is it my imagination, or are these things the TV equivalent of giant, two-page splash pages that rely on spectacle more than character?

Except, really, one thing:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
WTF, they handle Oliver and Felicity's wedding in a show other than Arrow? Jesus, that's weird.
[close]

I'm also surprised to see Black Lightning in the Infinite Earth setup, since that's a Netflix series.

Tasty

« Reply #17309 on: December 08, 2019, 09:32:18 AM »
They handle his proposal in another show, which actually did annoy Iris too. :lol

Crisis on Earth-X was fun. Sure, most of the plots aren't anything special, but as you noted they usually do have some kind of large impact no matter what, which gives them at least some kind of stakes.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #17310 on: December 08, 2019, 09:55:56 AM »
Yeah these things are mess. If you read any of the bts stuff they basically come close to fucking up entire seasons worth of scheduling but they keep getting bigger every year. A lot of the cameos you see as well pretty much only happen by the grace & mercy of the actor deciding to make it work.

How the fuck can you watch these superhero shows and take them seriously?
I'll admit seeing OG Flash in there surprised me though, i used to watch that shit as a little kid.

I mean, you don't? Not really. This is the american equivalent of toku. It's just soaps with sfx. That's all any cape shit is. Soap operas where ppl in tights/armor get punched.

Side Note: This final season of Arrow is probably the best and most consistent it's been since season 2/5 maybe? Dropping the episode count to 10 did it wonders. Even all the weird back door pilot stuff with Oliver & Diggle's kids from the future is working for the most part  :lol

I've noticed the quality of these shows, particularly the CW ones, rest almost solely on the quality of the seasons villain. All the best seasons of Arrow had great villains and Flash has been trash since season 2 because they haven't been able to get a great villain going. Sometimes the casting is bad, sometimes the excution sucks, and sometimes the villain is just trash.

Tasty

« Reply #17311 on: December 08, 2019, 11:32:35 AM »
I'm also surprised to see Black Lightning in the Infinite Earth setup, since that's a Netflix series.

It's a CW show, but was deliberately always "not in Arrowverse or ever going to cross over with it ever!!1"

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #17312 on: December 08, 2019, 06:52:30 PM »

It's a CW show, but was deliberately always "not in Arrowverse or ever going to cross over with it ever!!1"

Until now.

Tasty

« Reply #17313 on: December 08, 2019, 08:16:04 PM »

Until now.

Right. Good excuse to lose your show's crossover virginity. :P

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #17314 on: December 08, 2019, 09:07:39 PM »
I saw the first season of True Detective aka True Detectits and wow, what a show! I shotgunned the whole thing today. Only complaint is that I hated the way McConaughey talked. Are the following two seasons any good? I haven’t heard good things about them but I thought I would ask.
🍆🍆

Nuitangg

« Reply #17315 on: December 08, 2019, 10:43:43 PM »
Season 2 is trash. Worth watching season 3 for Dorff.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #17316 on: December 08, 2019, 11:20:15 PM »
I saw the first season of True Detective aka True Detectits and wow, what a show! I shotgunned the whole thing today. Only complaint is that I hated the way McConaughey talked. Are the following two seasons any good? I haven’t heard good things about them but I thought I would ask.
Season 2 gets a bad rap, but I liked it. It's not as good as the first season, which is not the same as saying "it's garbage," which is what most of TheBire(tm) reported.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #17317 on: December 08, 2019, 11:23:29 PM »
Working my way through S3 of The Crown. Such a good show and the recast actors seem to be working out. The budget on that show must be astronomical considering the actors they have on it. It was already the most expensive show if I remember correctly.
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #17318 on: December 09, 2019, 03:59:32 AM »
Working my way through S3 of The Crown. Such a good show and the recast actors seem to be working out. The budget on that show must be astronomical considering the actors they have on it. It was already the most expensive show if I remember correctly.

Really been thinking about starting this.

Right now, my current line-up is:
  • Dark
  • Archer (finally up to Tales from the Golden Monkey; I did not like Dreamland)
  • Arrow (s6)
  • Lucifer (s3)
  • Travellers (s3)
  • and incessant re-watches of Brooklyn 99

bdoughty

« Reply #17319 on: December 09, 2019, 05:17:16 AM »

Descent season but so little focus on the Crown and too much focus on Charles. It's only going to get worse in S4.

Just finished season 3 of Mrs. Maisel.  Went from being one of the whitest shows to Midge playing the Appolo.

jorma

« Reply #17320 on: December 09, 2019, 06:35:44 AM »

season 3 is almost on par with s1, i also found s2 to be ok, it's nothing like the other two seasons but perfectly watchable.
You wont miss any context/lore if you skip directly to s3 though.

bdoughty

« Reply #17321 on: December 09, 2019, 07:14:31 PM »
Netflix has a docu-series on Henry Lee Lucas called, "The Confession Killer."  Five episodes and I just finished the third. So far I think it is better than the Bundy Tapes. As an avid follower of all things serial killers, I have actually learned a few new things so far about how badly the Texas Rangers muffed this. Seeing Lucas on the phone talking to deputies in other states helping out on cases is surreal. Just as the Texas Rangers giving Lucas strawberry milkshakes for each case he closed by admitting to them. Far more fucked up than I recalled it.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #17322 on: December 09, 2019, 10:04:55 PM »
Smallville cameo on this cw crossover event was handled so well. Legit charming.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #17323 on: December 10, 2019, 12:52:04 AM »
Ending of Silicon Valley was really bad

bluemax

« Reply #17324 on: December 10, 2019, 02:21:52 AM »

season 3 is almost on par with s1, i also found s2 to be ok, it's nothing like the other two seasons but perfectly watchable.
You wont miss any context/lore if you skip directly to s3 though.

Season 3 starts good but it was entirely too easy to guess where it was going midway through and it all kinda ended in a mess. Dorff was great, I saw a trailer for some new show that he has a lead in so good for him cashing in.

This week's Mr Robot sort of felt like a filler episode again, or like a small part of an episode dragged out into a full one. It was nice that nothing terrible happened for once, but the show has been so depressing that I keep expecting every semi happy moment to end terribly.
NO

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #17325 on: December 10, 2019, 01:27:52 PM »
half a season of curtain call episodes/filler  ::)

Tasty

« Reply #17326 on: December 10, 2019, 02:20:28 PM »
Last ep I watched was the one where Elliot and whats her face listened to the cassette. Going to marathon the other eps later but sounds like it goes downhill?

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #17327 on: December 10, 2019, 03:28:39 PM »
it's more that they could have done the final season in 5 eps, but instead we're slogging through ep 10

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #17328 on: December 10, 2019, 03:40:19 PM »
Watching episode 10 of Mr Robot, only cool thing was Carly Rae Jepsen track . What a disaster of an episode

I wouldn’t call this a filler episode not enough banging or weird memes.

More a storage episode.

Three more to go. Basically DA going full on after Elliott to recruit and not kill him he becomes new leader/ president of e corp calling this shit now
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 03:44:39 PM by Ghoul »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17329 on: December 11, 2019, 12:01:24 PM »
So My Brilliant Friend was good.
Melodramatic but within reason, and i would've preferred no redundant voice over, it makes sense in a book, but on screen it felt superfluous.

Also i thought it was going to be a complete mini series, instead it's just season 1.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #17330 on: December 11, 2019, 02:00:05 PM »

:rejoice

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #17331 on: December 11, 2019, 02:13:17 PM »
 :larry

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #17332 on: December 11, 2019, 09:21:29 PM »
I really like Curb but the last season was just bad. Here’s hoping the next season is funny.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 09:26:08 PM by Olivia Wilde Homo »
🍆🍆

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17333 on: December 12, 2019, 06:05:56 PM »
I've started watching Servant, Shyamalan's show for AppleTV.

It's fantastic so far (4 episodes in), very recommended.
Beautifully shot and every episode is quite intriguing and tense.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #17334 on: December 12, 2019, 10:03:04 PM »
Binging 1-3 of Mr. Robot currently. Only watched the first season some time back. Get on S4 when it's up for streaming on Prime.

I love how it can lean into the absolute bleak. Relatable on disturbing levels.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 10:12:46 PM by BlueTsunami »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #17335 on: December 13, 2019, 01:58:25 AM »
expanse season 4 is up  :rejoice let's eat, kings :pimp

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #17336 on: December 13, 2019, 03:58:36 AM »
  :'( :'( :'(

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #17337 on: December 13, 2019, 06:37:59 AM »
Still need to get on s3
Spud

jorma

« Reply #17338 on: December 13, 2019, 07:44:43 AM »
I'm gonna get on the expanse soon, but first i have to finish Suburra, blood on Rome

This turned out to be a really nice surprise.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #17339 on: December 13, 2019, 02:26:04 PM »
Fuck me, Joanna Wellick in Mr. Robot. She's a sort of beautiful that is haunting and unnerving. Like this ineffible quality has an edge to it and she knows exactly how to use it.