Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 837016 times)

TVC 15

• be just and if you can't be just be arbitrary
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #17400 on: November 11, 2018, 03:57:43 PM »
Bates Motel has way too many sub-plots that have nothing to do with Norman or Norma, and almost all of them only exist because the sheriff is written in such a way that enables it all. Like....why is a modern day prequel to Psycho dealing so much with a drug war in a small town in Oregon?

You have to suffer with that in the first two seasons. There’s enough good stuff to keep it worthwhile.
serge

Stro

• I'm just a dragon-canine boye
« Reply #17401 on: November 11, 2018, 04:15:57 PM »
Yeah I'm into the third season, it has kept my attention and I've enjoyed it, but I also have a real hard time giving a shit about ANY of the drugs or local politics shit going on. Why would anyone want a Psycho prequel to focus on shit like that? Also the amount of shit that happens in the first few WEEKS of the Bates being in town is absurd that you could stretch anything out for 5 seasons...until you have the sheriff character that exists purely to allow for plot conveniences to keep Norman and Norma out of trouble.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 04:24:45 PM by Stro »

TVC 15

• be just and if you can't be just be arbitrary
« Reply #17402 on: November 11, 2018, 04:55:01 PM »
Yeah, it’s never great, but I found it interesting enough to stick with. Still have to watch the last season.
serge

Nintex

• counter-disinformation contact
« Reply #17403 on: November 11, 2018, 04:56:49 PM »
Watched some more House of Cards

:mindblown

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Apparently vice presidents keep dead bodies in vans.
I mean Frank got away with a lot but he was always sure to cover his tracks but in this new brave world suspected killers can fraternize with high level politicians.
Lackeys of lobbyists can barge in on meetings between the US and Russian president and spy on everyone and update their boss in real time over the phone.

Even though 90% of the cast is not knowing what the fuck they are doing Robin Wright's acting stays on point despite the abysmal material she has to work with.

It is bad, yet also strangely compelling.  :doge
god

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #17404 on: November 11, 2018, 07:26:06 PM »
Girlfriend got me into Psych.  I'm on season six now.  Whenever I think that the show is no longer hitting its stride, there's something that cracks me up.  I might be jinxing it but they have the dumb romance thing (rarely is a show better for doing it) but they minimize it, as if they know they have to do the "will they, won't they" routine but still realize there's a show to do.
8===D

Stro

« Reply #17405 on: November 11, 2018, 07:28:14 PM »
Psych us among the best random ep shows of all time

Stro

« Reply #17406 on: November 11, 2018, 08:20:23 PM »
Lmao at how much of a catty little bitch Norman turns into after a while.

benjipwns

• still got scars on my back from your knife
« Reply #17407 on: November 11, 2018, 08:54:03 PM »

Nintex

« Reply #17408 on: November 12, 2018, 05:22:53 PM »
Finished House of Cards Season 6.

I must admit towards the end it got pretty tense but...

Claire just offs everyone. I mean, it wasn't even subtle. She just kills one key witness/character an episode and threatens she'll do the same to other people. All plots and threats closed. 
The only person she's on the level with is the Russian President because he's quite as ruthless as she is. Plus people who don't dare to go against her.

So if Season 7 ever happens these people are left:
- Skorski (or whatever):  Stuck in the same place as Tom and Lucas were for 5 seasons. Knows the truth, doesn't have the evidence.
- Mark: Chickened out at the last minute but might be out for good and the only one to survive (for now) unless he's also convicted as a plotter (doubtful because he still has the Yates body)
- Bill Shepherd: Basically dead
- Anette Shepherd: To be jailed for planning the assassination
- Nathan Green: In on the plot against Claire. Probably dead next season (if it happens)
- Doug's shrink: A non-character but Claire would have no trouble killing him
- Victor Petrov: Knows some bad shit they pulled but no one believes him
- Duncan Shepherd: In jail, probably for the rest of his life if fake-mommy goes down
- Seth Grayson: Worked for the Shepherds, still thought Doug was his 'friend' dumbfuck
- Miliitary(?): Most are probably implicated in the assassination given it was supposed to be done by the nuclear football carrier
- Congressman Cole: Now Claire's little bitch

This show went from slow plotting, political deliberations and backdoor scheming to feminist Michael Corleone in a single season
god

Stro

« Reply #17409 on: November 13, 2018, 07:49:49 PM »
Bates Motel (2013-2017)

In the end, I have far more negatives than positives about this show. The writing is, often, terrible, with so much of the show being garbage sub-plots that don't involve Norma or Norman and ultimately go nowhere. Like...all of them. At best they're just a waste of time, at worst they're completely pointless and bad. It's very clear to me this show could/should have been one season, a mini series event that cut out all the bullshit.

Just the first season alone is full of so many ridiculous events and plot points, all of which are a waste of time or ridiculous.

The FIRST NIGHT in the new house, Norma is raped and kills a guy. She and Norman get rid of the body. A deputy hides the evidence so he can fuck Norma. He ends up being involved in an Asian (a very, very Asian, "I've read lots of manga" is an actual line in this storyline) sex ring and killed by Norma's other son in the house. The sheriff covers it up. The leader of the sex ring comes to town later, puts the corpse of the deputy in Norma's bed. He ends up getting killed, any evidence covered up. A dude in a firebombed car ends p coming to a stop in front of the motel, while his daughter happened to be standing there. This all happens in what sure appears to be a 2 week period.

From there, EVERY SINGLE PLOT POINT in the drug business has no impact whatsoever on anything. It's just filler and to make the show more "exciting" by having shoot outs and violent deaths when Norman isn't killing someone. All the city council shit? Goes nowhere. The bypass? Goes nowhere. Ford and Bob Paris? Goes nowhere. The DEA killing the drug business that runs the town? Goes nowhere. In fact, it seems like NOTHING at all changed for the city, any of the characters from that side of the show after this seem to be BETTER off. Romero is the most blatantely dirty cop, kills more people than Norman throughout the show, but is the nominal "heroic" character for the majority of the series. His role is just to clean up loose ends and plot points that might get Norma/Norman caught, even though he has no reason to, and almost everything he does throughout the show does less to save them and more to put himself in compromising positions for no reason. By the time he's marrying Norma so Norman can have insurance, he's done so many absurd things that it doesn't even matter anymore.

All the stuff with Norma's brother, Dylan's dad, exists just to gross you out and make you feel worse about Norma's life. This includes Chick and everything involved with him. And in the end, it doesn't really explain Norma's behavior any deeper, as half way through the show Norman goes from weird kid with occasional problems to full blown camp psychopath and Norma drops most of the characterization of the first and second seasons and goes into almost a whimsical comedic character, and then both Norma and Norman frequently seem to be played for black comedy even as things get more and more serious. So for me, there are tone issues all over the place in seasons 4 and 5, even at the most emotional depths.

I have less important issues as well, like so many hot girls falling for clearly fucking crazy and disturbed Norman, who in this incarnation is not the beautiful and charming Anthony Perkins, but a birdlike effeminate skinnyfat Freddie Highmore whose issues are far more out in the open than Perkins' version. Yet throughout the series, he has multiple women per season throwing themselves at him. This small town has had like 50 murders a year, none of them particularly well hidden, many of them right out in the open and easily solvable. Police in general are terrible everywhere, as the last season alone has multiple prison breaks/escaped prisoners and no one even appears to be looking for Romero, and when a guy being held for 5 or 6 murders goes missing, no one thinks to check his fucking house? For at least 12-15 hours? The fuck? He's able to just go back to work like nothing happened  :lol :lol :lol :lol The show is so lacking in subtley that I'm genuinely surprised they didn't have a full on sex scene with Norma and Norman. It's kind of impossible to not compare it to the movie when the last season is basically an extended remake and frequently uses exact shots and acting quirks to remind you of it constantly. It also bugged me that there was one line when Norman was in the mental place where he reveals that his entire personality is an act that allows him to pass in society, giving the impression that he's fully aware of what he is and what he's doing and seems to actually enjoy it, and it's not the Norma persona talking.

One thing (should be) is for sure: This franchise has been mined to death. We're at 4 books (3 of which probably no one read or even knows exists), the original film, 2 sequels, a made for TV sequel/prequel hybrid, a failed TV series, a shot for shot remake, and a 5 season modern prequel/remake. There's nothing more you could possibly get out of this stone.

Ultimately this is watchable trash, but I wouldn't say it's good TV or even a good addition to the franchise which has the awful Psycho 3 and 4 in it. This could have been some SERIOUS trash if it had 13 episode seasons. Or, god forbid, 22 episode seasons  :cat

I liked Emma a lot and am pleased they didn't kill her off just to be shocking or mean spirited.

Stro

« Reply #17410 on: November 15, 2018, 07:04:23 PM »
The Haunting of Hill House (2018)

...this is getting so much praise?   :confused

For starters, it isn't spooky. At all. Calling it a horror series is a bit of a stretch, imo. It's Amityville Horror x This Is Us. It features more than its fair share of bad crazy acting, for various reasons none of the characters are likable at all, despite 10+ hours to flesh everyone/everything out all the characters are completely one note and flat and never really expand or deepen from their first appearances. The closest thing to an antagonist is emotional trauma, which doesn't lend itself much to story.

It suffers from what pretty much all Netflix shows suffer from: Excessive and obvious chroma keying, a story stretched too many episodes, excessive monologuing (although one or two of them were decent, but most were not good).

Other odds and ends: Why the fuck did they have a different actor for the dad in modern day? Especially as they didn't look anything alike and the modern day dad was like 4 inches shorter  :heh  Shit they already made the ET kid look older, they could have just saved that for modern day, the intro music and sequence had to have been done by the guy who did Daredevil's, right?

I don't think this was good at all. 5 :trash out of 5

Tasty Meat

• ...Consider yourself truthed.
« Reply #17411 on: November 15, 2018, 08:36:50 PM »
AHS Apocalypse might be tied with Coven for my second-fave season. Incredibly well paced (possibly the best of any season), constant twists that were actually both foreshadowed and followed up on, and an amazing crossover with incredible stakes paying off at least three previous seasons' storylines. I don't know how they'll top this next year honestly, unless they go "back to basics" or something.

Or do a season in space.

Sad about no Gaga cameo tho. But at least we got Lange back for two eps, and McDermott too.
🐚

toku

« Reply #17412 on: November 15, 2018, 09:31:41 PM »
Yeah I thought the ending was kinda underwhelming but that's better than AHS usually shakey or flat out insane endings so It's fine. Definitely up there with Coven for me as well. Glad things worked out for Misty  :'(

Momo

• c y b o r e p u n k
« Reply #17413 on: November 16, 2018, 03:43:08 AM »

today :rejoice

toku

« Reply #17414 on: November 16, 2018, 10:52:44 AM »
wrong thread

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
NtGay

Nintex

« Reply #17416 on: November 16, 2018, 02:31:23 PM »
Caught up on a few South Park episodes of the new season.

Pretty good so far. Just some classic nonsense.

- Mr Hankey is evicted from South Park and no longer in charge of Christmas for tweeting insults on Ambien
- Mr Mackey doesn't like e-Bikes ("Everything was fine, mkay, and then everyone started scootin!")
- Every time the school is shown you hear gunshots because there's a school shooting every day
- Randy has moved to the country side and now runs a weed farm
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 12:06:17 PM by Nintex »
god

Stro

« Reply #17417 on: November 16, 2018, 02:34:43 PM »
Not really feeling Narcos Mexico, not sure if it's the show or just me as I seem to not be feeling most things I've seen recently.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #17418 on: November 16, 2018, 02:36:44 PM »
Caught up on a few South Park episodes of the new season.

Pretty good so far. Just some classic nonsense.

- Mr Hankey is evicted from South Park and no longer in charge of Christmas for tweeting insults on Ambien
- Mr Garrison doesn't like e-Bikes ("Everything was fine, mkay, and then everyone started scootin!")
- Every time the school is shown you hear gunshots because there's a school shooting every day
- Randy has moved to the country side and now runs a weed farm
that sounds awful.

Nintex

« Reply #17419 on: November 16, 2018, 02:42:38 PM »

Here's a sample
god

Stro

« Reply #17420 on: November 16, 2018, 03:03:08 PM »
The school thing sounds like it passes satire and is into full blown meanspirited try hard edginess that they'd make fun of another show for doing

CatsCatsCats

« Reply #17421 on: November 16, 2018, 03:08:27 PM »
This mother fucker just called Mr Mackey Mr Garrison. I’m so triggered
😽💨

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #17422 on: November 16, 2018, 08:20:10 PM »
NtGay

Dantizzinel

• Triceraskull
« Reply #17423 on: November 16, 2018, 11:05:47 PM »
https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1063552624732135424

Fucking yes!!! :lawd

And yes that's the showrunner cosplaying as Dante :lol
\m/

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #17424 on: November 17, 2018, 04:05:42 PM »
Agents of SHIELD has been renewed for a seventh season, and the sixth season hasn’t even started airing yet. 8)
WDW

Momo

• c y b o r e p u n k
« Reply #17425 on: November 19, 2018, 02:39:43 AM »

VomKriege

• 韬光养晦
« Reply #17426 on: November 19, 2018, 04:11:06 AM »
Watched Maniac, liked it a lot, especially the (overplayed nowadays ?) retro cyberpunk look. It dragged maybe a bit at point and it was much less mind fucky than the trailer claimed but I found it overall pretty touching and unexpected (at least the first third).

Emma Stone and the Japanese scientist (Mizuno ?) are :lawd
ὕβρις

Tasty Meat

« Reply #17427 on: November 19, 2018, 10:29:00 AM »

:rejoice

Please have Timmy in his pre-New 52 Red Robin outfit 🙏🏻

🐚

Tasty Meat

« Reply #17428 on: November 19, 2018, 05:20:41 PM »
https://twitter.com/erikoleson/status/1063638848939339776

If Agents of Shield can somehow manage to limp on with multiple 22 episode seasons seemingly indefinitely (s6's shorter order excluded), surely we can get one more season of Daredevil.

Surely we can *finally* get a season of Daredevil with the same showrunner as the previous. (s1: Goddard/DeKnight, s2: Petrie/Marco Ramirez, s3: Oleson.)

Surely we can get one more season now that the show has hit a new high.

Surely petty corporate infighting won't deny us any of this.

:goty
🐚

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #17429 on: November 19, 2018, 05:34:50 PM »
Pretty sure DD is going to stay.  IF and LC are pretty weak in comparison and so are indicative of DD's fate. 
NtGay

CatsCatsCats

« Reply #17430 on: November 19, 2018, 06:00:25 PM »
Wasn’t the conventional wisdom that these are gonna end up on some Disney platform?
😽💨

Tasty Meat

« Reply #17431 on: November 19, 2018, 06:39:59 PM »
Hearsay unfortunately. We really don't know, and no one associated with Daredevil's production at least has commented (officially or not) on the matter.

Speaking of questionable data points, activity on Twitter for Daredevil s3 had the exact same drop IF s2 and LC s2 had (though it still had higher ratings overall.)
🐚

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #17432 on: November 19, 2018, 07:10:52 PM »
Wasn’t the conventional wisdom that these are gonna end up on some Disney platform?

No Netflix has complete control of their marvel shows.  The properties might revert back to Marvel if netflix doesn't make shows (like Fox owned IPs).  Also the current seasons will always stay on netflix. 
NtGay

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #17433 on: November 19, 2018, 08:20:26 PM »
I thought the real issue was Netflix wants to self-produce their original content - not buy them from other studios. That's why something like American Vandal got cancelled after a great second season.
___

Tuckers Law

« Reply #17434 on: November 19, 2018, 09:59:09 PM »
Meanwhile in DC TV, Titans is nailing Jason Todd.  Probably one of the rare times watching any cape show where I said out loud "oh shit!" because of a scene.

Beezy

« Reply #17435 on: November 19, 2018, 10:43:12 PM »
I thought the real issue was Netflix wants to self-produce their original content - not buy them from other studios. That's why something like American Vandal got cancelled after a great second season.
I didn't know this. :'(

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #17436 on: November 19, 2018, 11:49:05 PM »
Me either :(
NtGay

Stro

« Reply #17437 on: November 20, 2018, 02:50:49 PM »
Making A Murderer season 1 was exploitative by default like all true crime shows, but season 2 is exploitative to a truly disgusting degree. This lawyer who has made a career out of exonerating wrongly convicted people seems to care not at all about anyone being innocent or not, but that she can prove someone wrong and lord it over people. Everything she does is explicitly for the most publicity she can get, she gets the whole Avery family's hopes up and then makes random appearances at their houses and promptly ignores them. The whole family is full of depressed, unintelligent people who aren't even aware they're being exploited and treated like morons.

What's worse, imo, is that when talking with the family she's going to do XYZ and it's definitely going to happen this way and they're going to be free...yet every fucking time she talks about what she's doing with her team or experts, it's "I know it's a long shot, this probably won't work, who knows if we can get anything from this", and she also knows most of the shit she's doing will never be seen by the courts. Like using fucking cerebro to prove innocence. And while trying to get an allegedly wrongly convicted man freed, she's pretty freely accusing other possible suspects by name and accusing them of murder with zero evidence. She knows none of this shit is going to work or is even viable, she also doesn't care if Steven is innocent or not, and there are times where it sounds like she thinks he isn't innocent but doesn't care, she's just trying to prove someone wrong and get attention.

Compare this shameless hag to Dassey's lawyers, both pre and post conviction.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 03:01:24 PM by Stro »

toku

« Reply #17438 on: November 21, 2018, 10:51:20 AM »

:lawd

the james cameron episode of futureman is the best 20 minutes of  tv nobody's seen

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #17439 on: November 23, 2018, 01:40:30 PM »
Started up S2 of The Patriot. This show is so peculiar, I love it.
:9

Momo

• c y b o r e p u n k
« Reply #17440 on: November 28, 2018, 12:10:22 AM »

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #17441 on: November 28, 2018, 12:12:39 AM »
Been watching big mouth recently. Haven’t hated it.

Momo

• c y b o r e p u n k
« Reply #17442 on: November 28, 2018, 01:13:58 AM »

:rejoice :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice

Purrp Skirrp

• Melancholy Cool

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #17444 on: November 28, 2018, 02:20:06 AM »
 :donot :donot :donot :donot :donot :donot :donot :donot :donot

Momo

• c y b o r e p u n k
« Reply #17445 on: November 28, 2018, 02:26:09 AM »
 :rage :rage :rage :rage :rage :rage :rage :rage :rage :rage

Spieler1

« Reply #17446 on: November 28, 2018, 06:48:11 AM »
:exxy :kobeyuck

Tasty Meat

« Reply #17447 on: November 28, 2018, 07:33:25 AM »
🐚

Nintex

« Reply #17449 on: November 28, 2018, 03:21:39 PM »
Netflix orders
*wheel spins*

"Napoleonic dcocumentary cartoon by...."

*wheel spins*

"James Gunn"
god

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #17450 on: November 28, 2018, 03:24:03 PM »
Live-Action Faye, tho.  :jawalrus

Live Action Ed.  :jared

Live Action VT. :galaxybrain
©@©™

Momo

• c y b o r e p u n k
« Reply #17451 on: November 29, 2018, 01:05:34 AM »
Live-Action Faye, tho.  :jawalrus

Live Action Ed.  :jared

Live Action VT. :galaxybrain
:ufup

CatsCatsCats

« Reply #17452 on: November 29, 2018, 09:17:32 AM »
Demi, have seen sick note? Features both destiny and Nick Frost
😽💨

VomKriege

• 韬光养晦
« Reply #17453 on: November 29, 2018, 03:39:29 PM »
The Americans S5

Loved it, like the rest, blue balled over the season finale.
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #17454 on: November 29, 2018, 09:22:52 PM »
“Marvel’s Daredevil will not return for a fourth season on Netflix,” the company said in a statement to Deadline. “We are tremendously proud of the show’s last and final season and although it’s painful for the fans, we feel it best to close this chapter on a high note. We’re thankful to showrunner Erik Oleson, the show’s writers, stellar crew and incredible cast including Charlie Cox as Daredevil himself, and we’re grateful to the fans who have supported the show over the years. While the series on Netflix has ended, the three existing seasons will remain on the service for years to come, while the Daredevil character will live on in future projects for Marvel.”

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #17455 on: November 29, 2018, 09:28:34 PM »
Netflix more like Netshits
WDW

benjipwns

« Reply #17456 on: November 29, 2018, 09:31:27 PM »
I notice they didn't thank Marvel/Disney :teehee

Tasty Meat

« Reply #17457 on: November 29, 2018, 09:37:28 PM »
Who could have seen this coming

oh wait

https://twitter.com/erikoleson/status/1063638848939339776

If Agents of Shield can somehow manage to limp on with multiple 22 episode seasons seemingly indefinitely (s6's shorter order excluded), surely we can get one more season of Daredevil.

Surely we can *finally* get a season of Daredevil with the same showrunner as the previous. (s1: Goddard/DeKnight, s2: Petrie/Marco Ramirez, s3: Oleson.)

Surely we can get one more season now that the show has hit a new high.

Surely petty corporate infighting won't deny us any of this.

:goty
🐚

Kara

• GOOGLE MURRAY BOOKCHIN (this is a meme, don't google murray bookchin)
« Reply #17458 on: November 29, 2018, 09:39:41 PM »
RIP Caredevil, we'll always have the giant hole.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #17459 on: November 29, 2018, 10:57:19 PM »
https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/daredevil-canceled-1203054452/

this while also increasing the cost of netflix in the same day.  Canceled my subscription, going back to pirating. 
NtGay