Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2063130 times)

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #17400 on: January 08, 2020, 01:27:19 AM »
good place s3 is on netflix for me now, so started that while i wait for mr robot s4 (stupid region locks!)

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #17401 on: January 08, 2020, 02:56:30 AM »
She’s like an unlikable Veronica Mars that frequently dresses like Wendy from Wendy’s.

So it sucks but it's good but it sucks

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #17402 on: January 08, 2020, 02:30:58 PM »
She’s like an unlikable Veronica Mars that frequently dresses like Wendy from Wendy’s.

So it sucks but it's good but it sucks

If you want deets:

1) the cast is good and almostclicks really well. There’s one other annoying character, too. Mind you, yeah it’s a problem that their lead is an unlikable character, but I think the actress is salvageable. If they tinker with her character a little, maybe it makes things better.
2) from where I left off, the show has a poorly implemented supernatural (or fake supernatural done inconceivably well) that undermines the let’s-have-a-mystery feel the show should have. This isn’t me bickering about the show not being the genre I want or something; it’s just really contrived dated horror movie stuff.
3) I guess if they fix Nancy’s character, they can ignore this one, but the show has a voiceover and it’s gotta go. Nancy doesn’t have a warm personality and it sounds like she’s always between peeved-whining and sad-whining and nobody wants to hear that unless the source is ovulatin for you.
4) the main mystery isn’t compelling. At a minimum, they botched the pacing. The premise of it even sounds boring on paper, but I suppose it could’ve been interesting
5) Nancy’s backstory is like the least imaginesszzzzzzzzzzzhitzzz. She had a mom but she died, and now she’s sad... and dad is bad... and IS HE CONNECTED TO THE MYSTERY AND MOM’S DEATH? How long will you have to watch the dad’s intro scene to deduce it?

On the other hand, the positives;
1) Mostly solid cast
2) Good setting. Not a slam dunk or original, but moderately fresh for a show like this. I Know What You Did Last Summer New England. Maybe a slight early Supernatural feel for look and feel, but New Englandier.
3) Promising license—for real, although I suppose a lot of it’s best material is off the table since this is an older, sluttier Nancy than in the books.
4) from what I saw, it had a couple of good mystery-type suspense sequences for TV. You know, Nancy sneaking around and trespassing and committing petty misdemeanors, girl shit
5) I love Riverdale, but this is completely avoiding that level of trashiness despite surface-level similarities between the shows

I want the show to get better, because a decent CW-style live action Scooby Doo-y or Murder She Wrote-y show would be bonertopia for me. I want them to succeed.
serge

jorma

« Reply #17403 on: January 08, 2020, 02:56:33 PM »
How did I know riotous was a Gilmore Girls person?

Mistress9 started watching it and by like the second season I was hooked lol;  kinda half watched the first part of it and probably missed some but I liked the characters.

:lol
This is pretty much how i ended up watching the first 6 seasons of greys anatomy

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #17404 on: January 08, 2020, 03:07:09 PM »
jorma watching grey anatomy with riotio wife  ;)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17405 on: January 08, 2020, 07:50:59 PM »

:thinking

TVC15

« Reply #17406 on: January 08, 2020, 11:11:43 PM »
I was hoping it was him actually talking about Twin Peaks like the video of him talking about the Star Wars prequels. I don’t think it’s necessary to indicate my disappointment.
serge

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17407 on: January 09, 2020, 12:23:44 AM »
I was hoping it was him actually talking about Twin Peaks like the video of him talking about the Star Wars prequels. I don’t think it’s necessary to indicate my disappointment.
Well he's talking about Twin Peaks as much as he's talking about real life, so...

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #17408 on: January 09, 2020, 01:02:39 AM »
Gilmore Girls is un-ironically great. I and sir benjipwns are like sorority sisters for it.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
All true fans know Rory is a villain.
[close]
roryta  ;)

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #17409 on: January 09, 2020, 06:25:19 PM »
Schitt’s Creek is back. For some reason I thought last season was the final season
WDW

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #17410 on: January 09, 2020, 06:45:28 PM »
Well he's talking about Twin Peaks as much as he's talking about real life, so...

He has a whole show of ranting about Watchmen and mispronouncing Ozymandias all the way through.
ὕβρις

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #17411 on: January 09, 2020, 08:08:21 PM »
Alex Garland (Annihilation, Ex Machina) show

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #17412 on: January 09, 2020, 09:47:46 PM »
Offerman's hair :lol

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17413 on: January 09, 2020, 09:49:37 PM »
BTW that Dracula show is such a fucking trainwreck, i loved all three episodes, but definitely in a "so bad it's good" fashion.

You can feel Moffat's and Gatisse's shitty smug writing oozing from every line, kind of like Sherlock, but feels more out of place here.
On top of that, also like Sherlock, you have that blunt use of sentimentalism and melodrama, common in British TV (the stuff i've watched anyway) which makes it all the more corny.

It's kind of awful but i couldn't stop watching, so really, it's actually genius.

TVC15

« Reply #17414 on: January 09, 2020, 09:57:40 PM »
I’m still hooked on Love After Lockup. After 38 years, I’ve finally found my type. It’s not blondes. It’s not redheads. It’s Unlawful and Malicious Wounders.
serge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #17415 on: January 09, 2020, 10:05:59 PM »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #17416 on: January 10, 2020, 12:15:45 AM »

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #17417 on: January 10, 2020, 12:39:24 AM »

Looks great

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17418 on: January 10, 2020, 10:21:48 PM »
Servant episode 9.
 :leon :fbm :fbm :fbm :whoo

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #17419 on: January 10, 2020, 11:18:39 PM »
Watching the first episode of Dracula. One of the nuns just totally did the "because you're a fucking white male" thing to Harker.
 :social2 :social

Car wreck television.

Spud

TVC15

« Reply #17420 on: January 11, 2020, 03:47:33 PM »
Watching AJ and the Queen out of morbid curiosity and it is horrendous and nobody should ever watch it. It is like the worst aspects of RuPaul rolled up into a product that RuPaul is hawking to you RuPaul-style. RuPaul (or someone close) clearly had a lot of involvement in writing/conception/whatever.

There’s one scene in particular that made me suddenly reassess whether AJ and the Queen knows exactly what it’s doing. Earlier in the episode, AJ looks out over a hotel swimming pool and laments that she never learned how to swim. After a wet T-shirt contest at a local roadhouse in which Ruby Red tries to pass for a woman until her massive breastplate falls off, the episode comes to an inspirational conclusion. Ruby wakes up and sees that AJ’s gone missing, but then looks out over the balcony and sees AJ swimming in the pool, using the truly enormous fake titties as a flotation device.

The image of a 10-year-old swimming with huge fake breasts is not the thing that gave me pause; it was the music. On, say, a half-hearted ABC procedural, a music coordinator would’ve decided that this scene is obviously stupid, and would’ve given it a plunky, goofy, half-stepping string score to signal ridiculousness. But not on AJ and the Queen. On AJ and the Queen, RuPaul as Ruby Red stares out at a 10-year-old using very large fake tits as swim floaties, and a saccharine-sincere piano score comes in, daring you not to laugh.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 03:55:57 PM by TVC 15 »
serge

TVC15

« Reply #17421 on: January 11, 2020, 04:14:55 PM »
Only a few minutes in, but this BBC Dracula is already missing the mark big time. It doesn’t feel gothic/romantic in setting/production at all. It feels like a bunch of people in costumes on a modest BBC period production. I figured Moffat would warrant opening up the wallet a little bit. This is sub-Syfy. Will nobody ever nail this fucking story?

I guess some of the props and sets here look nice, but they aren’t filmed with any eye for mood at all.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #17422 on: January 11, 2020, 04:23:37 PM »
No cuz it's a shitty boring story to begin with

It’s not my favorite gothic story but there’s a lot to work with. The epistolary format is an unexciting chore to read and Dracula isn’t the first good story it’s messed up. I guess it’s just a bit frustrating because it’s the most adapted of the classic gothic stories and it’s never landed in a very satisfying manner.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #17423 on: January 11, 2020, 05:05:55 PM »
Well, Lord Byron had something to do with Frankenstein so of course it’s better
serge

TVC15

« Reply #17424 on: January 11, 2020, 05:22:46 PM »
Actually, this is bad in kind of an interesting way, but I don’t think it’s going to hold my attention very long. It’s trying to do some camp but it isn’t quite working and I’m trying to figure out why. That’s kind of fun, right? I’m pretty sure it’s afraid to be too campy and commit to it and it just comes out kind of sad, like it’s hiding something. Reminds me of all of you people trying to convince me you’re into women.
serge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #17425 on: January 11, 2020, 05:32:28 PM »

Did he fuck Frankenstein and Frankenstein's monster?

TVC15

« Reply #17426 on: January 11, 2020, 05:37:13 PM »

Did he fuck Frankenstein and Frankenstein's monster?

I just assume Mary Shelley had recurring dreams of dismembering Byron after having to put up with him and the story went on from there.
serge

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #17427 on: January 11, 2020, 05:38:21 PM »
BBC dracula  :drool

TVC15

« Reply #17428 on: January 11, 2020, 05:39:21 PM »
serge

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17429 on: January 11, 2020, 06:47:11 PM »
Actually, this is bad in kind of an interesting way, but I don’t think it’s going to hold my attention very long. It’s trying to do some camp but it isn’t quite working and I’m trying to figure out why. That’s kind of fun, right? I’m pretty sure it’s afraid to be too campy and commit to it and it just comes out kind of sad, like it’s hiding something. Reminds me of all of you people trying to convince me you’re into women.
lol, get to episode 3.  ;)

Also the Coppola movie is still cool, you contrarian wackos! :yuck

TVC15

« Reply #17430 on: January 11, 2020, 06:48:43 PM »
That was bad but eh, I might watch the rest. It’s misguided enough that it’s kind of compelling, but that kind of heat can go away quickly.

(Also, yeah, toss out everything I said about being afraid to commit to camp. I really need to watch more than 10 minutes of things before commenting)

I’m a defender of the Coppola movie in general but as an adult I can’t pretend it’s a good movie.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 06:55:54 PM by TVC 15 »
serge

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17431 on: January 11, 2020, 07:14:53 PM »
That was bad but eh, I might watch the rest. It’s misguided enough that it’s kind of compelling, but that kind of heat can go away quickly.

(Also, yeah, toss out everything I said about being afraid to commit to camp. I really need to watch more than 10 minutes of things before commenting)

I’m a defender of the Coppola movie in general but as an adult I can’t pretend it’s a good movie.

It's good schlock (as Dracula should be) with amazing make up effects and a strong sense of visual style (the whole puppetry angle).  :yeshrug
Plus some kino furry sex.

There's Keanu's shitty acting, but he just has a bunch of lines anyway, the rest falls into the good kind of "camp" (see VanHelsing humping Quincy's leg),

TVC15

« Reply #17432 on: January 11, 2020, 07:35:46 PM »
For as much fun as it can be, I can’t really forgive the acting in Coppola’s Dracula. I love the terrible acting but it’s just so all over the place that I’m being pulled from a goofy Keanu scene to a legit intense Oldman scene to a whatever-the-fuck Hopkins is doing scene. I guess the overall moodiness mixed with that makes for a questionable recipe. Like the chef came into Olive Garden hungover.
serge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #17433 on: January 11, 2020, 08:11:19 PM »
Harly Quinn is getting better

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #17434 on: January 11, 2020, 10:54:05 PM »
For as much fun as it can be, I can’t really forgive the acting in Coppola’s Dracula. I love the terrible acting but it’s just so all over the place that I’m being pulled from a goofy Keanu scene to a legit intense Oldman scene to a whatever-the-fuck Hopkins is doing scene. I guess the overall moodiness mixed with that makes for a questionable recipe. Like the chef came into Olive Garden hungover.

I remember Keanu really struggling with the material, and Winona seemed like she was drunk or high the entire time.

Would still smash.

Keanu or Winona, either one.
[close]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #17435 on: January 11, 2020, 10:57:05 PM »
I love Coppola’s Dracula. 

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #17436 on: January 11, 2020, 11:17:37 PM »

I remember Keanu really struggling with the material, and Winona seemed like she was drunk or high the entire time.

Would still smash.

Keanu or Winona, either one.
[close]

Gary Oldman's drip  :aah

Winona in corsets :lawd
Keanu Forever
[close]

I wouldn't say it's hard to nail vampire media but most can't seem to straddle that line between corny campy romantic stuff and more serious themes. Enjoyed Gatiss x Moffat Dracula more than most it seems. It would have been better if they just stopped trying to be clever so much. The third episode is a really great example of them being really up their ass. Maybe if they had leaned more into hammer dracula which it felt like they were playing with throughout.

TVC15

« Reply #17437 on: January 11, 2020, 11:39:34 PM »
You know, I think I could’ve been a good nun. I mean like some sort of occult nun like in this shitty Dracula or the possessed nuns in The Devils (book, movie, or reality) or that kickass battle nun in Night of the Demons 2. Like, seriously corrupt cop, violent criminal, and occult battle nun were the careers I was built for, I think. I wish I hadn’t gone so far astray.
serge

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #17438 on: January 12, 2020, 02:36:02 AM »
filler... should I watch the expanse? I will only trust your opinion on this.
每天生气

TVC15

« Reply #17439 on: January 12, 2020, 02:37:30 AM »
accept only the opinion of Tulsi stans
serge

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #17440 on: January 12, 2020, 02:39:36 AM »

Read it.

Books are way better

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #17441 on: January 12, 2020, 08:56:42 AM »

great show

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #17442 on: January 12, 2020, 09:06:48 AM »
dracula is fucking shit

TVC15

« Reply #17443 on: January 12, 2020, 09:50:46 AM »
vamps rock. The queenier the better

serge

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #17444 on: January 12, 2020, 03:27:51 PM »
Watching Father Ted for the first time.
🍆🍆

TVC15

« Reply #17445 on: January 12, 2020, 04:09:59 PM »

Lucky.

I’m watching You on Netflix. It’s like The Bore Relationship Thread: The Show.
serge

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #17446 on: January 12, 2020, 04:34:25 PM »

Lucky.

I’m watching You on Netflix. It’s like The Bore Relationship Thread: The Show.
Such a fucking irritating show which can only be enjoyed if you suspend your disbelief to absurd levels or if you are just completely fucking brain-dead.
Spud

TVC15

« Reply #17447 on: January 12, 2020, 04:49:10 PM »
When he starts deploying teenagers in his BS in season 2, I was like “people on the Bore have definitely already done this.”

Edit: I also think they’re leaning into the Dennis Reynolds comparisons in season 2. I swear there have been a few moments that seem like direct links. It seems like the actor is delivering as intense or creepy Dennis sometimes.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 05:12:38 PM by TVC 15 »
serge

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #17448 on: January 12, 2020, 06:09:32 PM »
Is Netflix capable of making a show where the middle 4 episodes aren't boring filler intended to justify a 10 episode order?
:O

TVC15

« Reply #17449 on: January 12, 2020, 06:24:49 PM »
Is Netflix capable of making a show where the middle 4 episodes aren't boring filler intended to justify a 10 episode order?

This is why we must encourage filler to become more depraved. We need to fill in every minute of that future true crime docuseries.

Edit: bwahaha, You keeps getting stupider and better! They need to get these writers on Star Wars.

Finished. Mostly awesome trash with terrible writing. About 3 episodes of filler but ends on a high note. They manage to fit in a cute setup for next season at the end, out of nowhere.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 11:40:52 PM by TVC 15 »
serge

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #17450 on: January 13, 2020, 04:15:39 PM »
only if you torrent the show  ;) we boycott amazon around this way, sweaty  :-[

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17451 on: January 13, 2020, 07:28:29 PM »
Nobody in the world pays Prime for prime video, tbf.

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #17452 on: January 14, 2020, 07:17:16 AM »
binged through s3 of good place and it's still very good. mr robot s4 still isn't up for me so i watched the first up of titans s2 and man this was so dumb

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #17453 on: January 14, 2020, 11:25:23 PM »
Nobody in the world pays Prime for prime video, tbf.

Yeah, it was our first streaming service (Japan was so, so LTTP), and even then it was just a nice side effect of getting fast/free shipping.

More accurately, it's a nice side effect WITH THE WORST FUCKING USER INTERFACE OF ANY STREAMING SERVICE.

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #17454 on: January 15, 2020, 11:46:54 AM »
onto episode three of Dracula, god damn this show is awful, I have no idea why I am watching it. But just like Mr Robot I'll see this through until the end.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #17455 on: January 15, 2020, 06:52:52 PM »
Dracula:  halfway through episode 1 - this is weird and not in a good way.  The LGBT/feminism stuff from the nun is kind of obnoxious and it's such a big tone shift that it keeps pulling me out of the story.

TVC15

« Reply #17456 on: January 15, 2020, 06:57:01 PM »
Nun is the best part
serge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #17457 on: January 15, 2020, 07:02:24 PM »
I think if they wanted to do that they should have gone full in.  Like the dude is a closet case and set to be married and so relishes the chance to run away and be with Dracula-daddy.  Then make the whole vampirism thing a metaphor for AIDS.   

TVC15

« Reply #17458 on: January 15, 2020, 07:08:48 PM »
That’s about the same degree of originality the adaptation has
serge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #17459 on: January 15, 2020, 07:51:06 PM »
Ok, the second half of the episode was better.
I though I thought they were going places with Harker being Dracula's bride but no - this does just seem to be LGBT lipservice.   The wolf birth scene was great though. 
[close]