Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2063930 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #17580 on: February 16, 2020, 04:59:30 AM »
I just started The Magicians and three eps in it’s pretty good.

I started it on Netflix in the USA, and downloaded the first season to my iPad. It doesn't run on Netflix Japan, so I actually liked it enough to outright buy season 2.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #17581 on: February 16, 2020, 03:35:08 PM »
I appreciate the dedication to silly hand movements in The Magicians. That’s how magic’s meant to be done.
serge

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #17582 on: February 17, 2020, 04:51:03 PM »
©@©™

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #17583 on: February 17, 2020, 05:16:53 PM »
Locke and Key was pretty okay, for the tension of watching the kids make stupid decisions constantly

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #17584 on: February 17, 2020, 06:04:18 PM »
Oh man I was really worried BoJack Horseman was going for the easy way out, I'm glad they didn't. Doesn't tie up loose ends but that's OK, life doesn't wrap up nicely either.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Didn't care for that second to last episode though.
[close]
ὕβρις

TVC15

« Reply #17585 on: February 17, 2020, 06:31:50 PM »
Locke and Key was pretty okay, for the tension of watching the kids make stupid decisions constantly

I thought the end was kind of whatever but on the whole it was worth it. I’d watch more.
serge

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #17586 on: February 18, 2020, 08:05:49 AM »
Shockingly, Bojack Horseman ends on a downer ending for almost everyone concerned, if anyone was sticking it through to see if it had anything uplifting to say or was going to make any kind of redemptive arc.

I don't really agree, I'd say most of the major characters end in a better place. Well, of course, not so much for that one but it could have been worse.
Apparently Netflix forced the show's end in finishing now (?) and arguably the rush can be felt in not everyone getting some spotlight to cap things off. The inconclusiveness of some threads felt appropriate (and at least party intentional) and honestly I think Bojack yo-yoing into routine self-destruction was really wearing thin already from a dramatic standpoint. In a way, the supporting cast did outgrow him even from a viewer's standpoint, I would love we'd follow them more. Horseman, not so much.

I really didn't like the whole episode 15 thing, time would have been better served used for elsewhere. Apart from that, it was funny, thoughtful and quality throughout IMO.
ὕβρις

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #17587 on: February 18, 2020, 10:50:58 AM »
Shockingly, Bojack Horseman ends on a downer ending for almost everyone concerned, if anyone was sticking it through to see if it had anything uplifting to say or was going to make any kind of redemptive arc.

I don't really agree, I'd say most of the major characters end in a better place. Well, of course, not so much for that one but it could have been worse.
Apparently Netflix forced the show's end in finishing now (?) and arguably the rush can be felt in not everyone getting some spotlight to cap things off. The inconclusiveness of some threads felt appropriate (and at least party intentional) and honestly I think Bojack yo-yoing into routine self-destruction was really wearing thin already from a dramatic standpoint. In a way, the supporting cast did outgrow him even from a viewer's standpoint, I would love we'd follow them more. Horseman, not so much.

I really didn't like the whole episode 15 thing, time would have been better served used for elsewhere. Apart from that, it was funny, thoughtful and quality throughout IMO.

I dunno, Bojack started the show worried he was so toxic that he would inevitably drive everyone away from him, and he ends the show... having driven everyone away from him.
Diane started being unable to find happiness because she thinks shes too good for the work she does and is good at, and ends... yeah.
Todd is going to continue forrest gumping through life.
Princess caroline is going to continue being unable to take a healthy break from her work, and I don't think whatsisface her PA is going to stick around watching her do that.
Even Mr Peanut Butter ends up alone, with the only person as vapid as he is fucking off to be on tour with some boyband singer

:idont

Its a good show, but showing how close to a realisation of being happy the characters get, then taking it away from them and showing ultimately theyre unwilling to change... quite a downer.
The only character who genuinely seems to get a happy ending and some kind of breakthrough is that PTSD actress that bojack strangled, who - entirely in background shots - seems to have overcome it and built a successful career

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #17588 on: February 18, 2020, 04:36:02 PM »
I saw most of those under a favourable light. I guess that in a sense none of the deep character traits were rooted off, but everyone was active, in a relationship, achieved a balance at which they were happier or made some progress (Todd) or more aware of the issues (Mr.Peanutbutter even if he's back at square one).

I agree there's a bit of "all that for that" to it, that's maybe why they have that bait and switch to up the emotional stakes.
ὕβρις

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17589 on: February 18, 2020, 04:39:29 PM »

So Kingdom is coming back, pretty excited, it's the first Korean tv show i was able to enjoy (despite them having amazing cinema).
I'm gonna need a recap of season 1 though, because it was forever ago, and forgot most of it.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #17590 on: February 18, 2020, 07:51:06 PM »
The most recent episode of curb opens with one of the funnier Leone quotes

"It's hard playing the infield with polio" in reference to Larry playing baseball as a kid lmfao
:9

Cryo

« Reply #17591 on: February 18, 2020, 08:48:57 PM »
all I can say is I relate to Diane so fucking much based on her season 6 arc :'(

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #17592 on: February 18, 2020, 09:46:43 PM »

"It's hard playing the infield with polio" in reference to Larry playing baseball as a kid lmfao

poo-poo-be-doop
___

TVC15

« Reply #17593 on: February 18, 2020, 09:49:49 PM »

I’ve found this season really fucking funny, even though it feels rehashier than usual and it feels like there are more visible rough edges. I think I’m enjoying it more than last season at this point.
serge

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #17594 on: February 18, 2020, 11:59:04 PM »

I’ve found this season really fucking funny, even though it feels rehashier than usual and it feels like there are more visible rough edges. I think I’m enjoying it more than last season at this point.

It seems like they're allowing the improv to flow a little more this season. Plus it seems to have recaptured an inherent goofiness it had been missing

Nuitangg

« Reply #17595 on: February 22, 2020, 01:48:43 PM »
2 episodes in and Hunters is pretty disappointing and kind of terrible.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #17596 on: February 24, 2020, 02:01:43 AM »
I don't think there's a less appealing over the top streaming service than Brit Box  :yuck

Sure, but who actually thought a 24 streaming service consisting of only Brit Marling's body of work could be successful?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #17597 on: February 24, 2020, 06:17:16 AM »
I don't think there's a less appealing over the top streaming service than Brit Box  :yuck

The Brit Box challenge : keep your eyes closed.
ὕβρις

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17598 on: February 24, 2020, 07:18:03 AM »
https://twitter.com/means_tv/status/1228353226040320000

lol

"When a genius idea pops into my head, i can't tak credit for it, 'cause it didn't come from me... it came from my brain!"

:thinking

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #17599 on: February 24, 2020, 12:05:44 PM »
Love is Blind on Netflix.  :kobeyuck :gladbron :comeon :shaq2 :ohhh :snoop :dayum

TVC15

« Reply #17600 on: February 24, 2020, 12:48:05 PM »
Love is Blind on Netflix.  :kobeyuck :gladbron :comeon :shaq2 :ohhh :snoop :dayum

Jessica and Mark, oh yeah.
serge

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #17601 on: February 24, 2020, 01:03:59 PM »

Jessica and Mark, oh yeah.
Jessica is horrible. Mark is a simp. He needs to run away. There are so many red flags.
Lauren is clearly not as into Cameron as he's into her, and she's not even hiding it. If she is trying to hide, she has a terrible poker face.
Amber is going to ruin Barnett.
Giannina and the crying ginger will never make it.

I like how the show is called Love Is Blind, yet somehow all the men have 16" arms.

TVC15

« Reply #17602 on: February 24, 2020, 02:40:48 PM »
I hope you’ve already partaken of the font of trash that is 90 Day Fiance. I could physically feel myself becoming a worse person as I watched that.
serge

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #17603 on: February 24, 2020, 02:54:32 PM »
I hope you’ve already partaken of the font of trash that is 90 Day Fiance. I could physically feel myself becoming a worse person as I watched that.

Nope. I don't watch reality TV normally, but the ball-and-chain was binging all weekend. I couldn't help but watch.

Might check it out.

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #17604 on: March 01, 2020, 04:06:00 PM »

:dead

Just wrapping up ep 6 now

I'm still not sure if these people are real, or if it is a masterclass in acting
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #17605 on: March 01, 2020, 04:19:08 PM »
Been watching Unsolved Mysteries The Robert Stack Era on Amazon. :rejoice

TVC15

« Reply #17606 on: March 01, 2020, 04:27:22 PM »
Been watching Unsolved Mysteries The Robert Stack Era on Amazon. :rejoice

Lol, been binging all weekend as I’ve been playing games and doing thangs. Great background tv.
serge

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #17607 on: March 01, 2020, 08:48:46 PM »
Altered Carbon season 2 sucks :mjcry

All that kitschy Cowboy Bebop If It Was Made By A White Person  charm is gone. It's like a season of The 100 now :beli
I didn't have much hope after the steep nose dive the show took in quality in the back half of season 1. We'll always have those superb first few episodes though.
Spud

TVC15

« Reply #17609 on: March 01, 2020, 09:41:55 PM »
If I ever got a TV show, whatever it was, it’d be aiming to be like Red Shoe Diaries.
serge

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #17610 on: March 01, 2020, 10:45:03 PM »
Yeah I punched out of S2 of Altered Carbon in the first episode. It's like they somehow focused on all the shit I couldn't care less about. How do you fuck up cyberpunk so badly? And the dude they casted is somehow more wooden then the former lead. Even when he's emoting anger it's like there's a disconnect there

Bebpo

« Reply #17611 on: March 01, 2020, 11:12:14 PM »
Watched the first episode of I'm not ok with this since I liked End of the Fucking World a lot and this is the same director's 2nd project. Being that it's also a quirky show about 2 teens that's eight 20 min episodes and also based off a graphic novel (by the same author Charles Formann) and also set to music cues and narration in the same style, this is sorta the american remake spiritual successor to End of the Fucking World in style at least. From ep1 it seems like that and it also seems less compelling because the leads here just don't have the charisma that the UK couple had. And well the dialogue just isn't as sharp and well written, but different graphic novel and all as the core. The ratings for the graphic novel on goodreads seem a lot lower than end of the f***king world.

But being that it's 8 twenty min eps, it's very bingable like end of the fucking world, so will watch it through in a sitting or two and report back.

TVC15

« Reply #17612 on: March 02, 2020, 09:29:46 PM »
Watched the first episode of I'm not ok with this since I liked End of the Fucking World a lot and this is the same director's 2nd project. Being that it's also a quirky show about 2 teens that's eight 20 min episodes and also based off a graphic novel (by the same author Charles Formann) and also set to music cues and narration in the same style, this is sorta the american remake spiritual successor to End of the Fucking World in style at least. From ep1 it seems like that and it also seems less compelling because the leads here just don't have the charisma that the UK couple had. And well the dialogue just isn't as sharp and well written, but different graphic novel and all as the core. The ratings for the graphic novel on goodreads seem a lot lower than end of the f***king world.

But being that it's 8 twenty min eps, it's very bingable like end of the fucking world, so will watch it through in a sitting or two and report back.

I liked this but the ending is really unsatisfying. It feels like there’s a missing episode.
serge

Bebpo

« Reply #17613 on: March 02, 2020, 09:34:09 PM »
I watched through ep3 last night. It's still just kinda ok. Feels a lot slower paced and a bit boring compared to End of the Fucking World. Hoping it picks up soon.

bdoughty

« Reply #17614 on: March 03, 2020, 09:38:50 AM »
Love crime docs but The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez (Netflix) is a tough watch. Just finished it and just save yourself the time. Incompetence on every level as shocking as that will sound.

Nobody is held accountable, outside of the mother and boyfriend who did kill the poor boy.

Why does California sentence people to the Death Penalty when they have not used it since 2006 and was suspended last year? Can't see them bringing it back.
[close]

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #17615 on: March 03, 2020, 11:01:17 AM »
Been watching Hunters and for a super political I hate the nazis kinda show it does a good job of portraying why nazis are fucking scum instead of the usual bollocks.

TVC15

« Reply #17616 on: March 03, 2020, 12:11:38 PM »
Love crime docs but The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez (Netflix) is a tough watch. Just finished it and just save yourself the time. Incompetence on every level as shocking as that will sound.

Nobody is held accountable, outside of the mother and boyfriend who did kill the poor boy.

Why does California sentence people to the Death Penalty when they have not used it since 2006 and was suspended last year? Can't see them bringing it back.
[close]

Not worth watching then? I’ve seen it’s ranking there and I was curious since I like the true crime
serge

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #17617 on: March 03, 2020, 03:58:07 PM »
Man, I missed Better Call Saul. Even though I kind of know where things are headed, it can still throw the odd curveball in

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #17618 on: March 03, 2020, 04:39:20 PM »
Altered Carbon season 2 is definitely a let down.

Bebpo

« Reply #17619 on: March 03, 2020, 06:36:58 PM »

I liked this but the ending is really unsatisfying. It feels like there’s a missing episode.

Yeah, just finished it. Thought there were 8 eps, so when the next ep didn’t play I was like wtf. That was a weak place to end it. Story felt really unfinished in all the arcs. Hopefully they do a S2 I guess. Or I can just check out the comic.

bdoughty

« Reply #17620 on: March 03, 2020, 07:22:27 PM »
Not worth watching then? I’ve seen it’s ranking there and I was curious since I like the true crime

For you it would be as you enjoy true crime and are not sensitive to certain types of material.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-most-revolting-and-heartbreaking-thing-youll-ever-see-watch-the-trials-of-gabriel-fernandez-on-netflix-warning-graphic-descriptions.172557/

Ree was having a tough time getting past the description.  ::)

TVC15

« Reply #17621 on: March 03, 2020, 07:43:14 PM »

For you it would be as you enjoy true crime and are not sensitive to certain types of material.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-most-revolting-and-heartbreaking-thing-youll-ever-see-watch-the-trials-of-gabriel-fernandez-on-netflix-warning-graphic-descriptions.172557/

Ree was having a tough time getting past the description.  ::)

You know, this sounds too grim for me!
serge

Dickie Dee

« Reply #17622 on: March 03, 2020, 08:31:56 PM »
I looked up I'm not ok with this after I watched it and apparently

in the original comic she kills herself at the very end.
[close]
I think the show is pretty faithful otherwise which probably why the ending felt abtupt and unsatisfying.

I still loved it though but am worried how a season 2 would play out
___

Bebpo

« Reply #17623 on: March 03, 2020, 08:34:42 PM »
Uh wtf, that sounds like a pretty stupid ending. Like I'm fine with

characters killing themselves in the end
[close]

But the story/character development arc would be very unsatisfying here in that direction.

I can see why this comic has 3/5 stars on Goodread and End of the Fucking World has like 5/5 stars. End of the Fucking World was a much better story and ending.

Pennywise

« Reply #17624 on: March 03, 2020, 11:36:43 PM »
Altered Carbon season 2 is definitely a let down.
Read the books if you haven't done it yet.

They skipped an entire book and poured alot of their own writing into the show yet again..

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #17625 on: March 04, 2020, 12:00:18 PM »
Really liked I Am Not Ok With This. It's not some sweeping universe but a nice little allegory for grief, self identity, and coming into ones own

kingv

« Reply #17626 on: March 04, 2020, 11:37:05 PM »
Just finished up the final season of Power.

Man, that kind of ended on a flat note.

Imo they made a huge mistake in this “who killed ghost” shit. There was so much repetition of all the scenes from different angles, and it was only like half of it was actually interesting.

[close]

The worst part was they did that same scene from multiple peoples perspectives thing, but like they did it in a way where the scene wasn’t consistent, there is one scene in particular that they do twice, and the whole fucking scene is different from the second perspective. The dialogue changed, where people are standing changed, it was really obvious if you are watching it in streaming.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #17627 on: March 05, 2020, 09:48:01 AM »
Designated Survivor s2 moves from being overly serious all the time to having some humor in it (good!) but also going a bit schmaltzy and less… realistic? Kirkman grows a spine and then becomes spiny and then tries to rebalance himself.

There's a "dirty bomb" scenario in s2 that only goes an episode or two; I thought it would drag on for a while, since it was the entire plot of 24 s1. Ideally, the series should end with Kirkman meeting a de-aged Kiefer Sutherland as the head of CTU.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #17628 on: March 05, 2020, 12:25:37 PM »
Designated Survivor s2 moves from being overly serious all the time to having some humor in it (good!) but also going a bit schmaltzy and less… realistic? Kirkman grows a spine and then becomes spiny and then tries to rebalance himself.

There's a "dirty bomb" scenario in s2 that only goes an episode or two; I thought it would drag on for a while, since it was the entire plot of 24 s1. Ideally, the series should end with Kirkman meeting a de-aged Kiefer Sutherland as the head of CTU.

Designated Survivor is fucking glorious trash, that can't decide if it wants to be the West Wing or 24, so veers wildly between the two and does not give a fuck at what a tonal mess it results in.
:rejoice

TVC15

« Reply #17629 on: March 07, 2020, 01:30:02 PM »
I really like Devs after the initial two episodes. It definitely feels like an Alex Garland project. Interested to see how this goes. It’s already pretty daring. Slow burn, though, but I did say it feels like a Garland project.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #17630 on: March 08, 2020, 12:35:05 PM »
serge

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #17631 on: March 08, 2020, 08:25:40 PM »
I don't know where the anime thread is but I'm watching the latest series from JoJo : Stardust Crusaders and :lol

Oh Noooooo!
ὕβρις

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #17632 on: March 08, 2020, 09:01:06 PM »
I really like Devs after the initial two episodes. It definitely feels like an Alex Garland project. Interested to see how this goes. It’s already pretty daring. Slow burn, though, but I did say it feels like a Garland project.

Yeah I'm hoping it holds up. Looks like it's gonna get weirder and there are more episodes than I thought there would be (i think theres gonna be 8?).

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #17633 on: March 09, 2020, 12:37:01 AM »

Designated Survivor is fucking glorious trash, that can't decide if it wants to be the West Wing or 24, so veers wildly between the two and does not give a fuck at what a tonal mess it results in.

The first season is pretty clear about its tonal goals: it's an everyman pushed into the role of POTUS during a time of remarkable turmoil. Its main problem was a complete lack of levity or any kind of humor.

Season 2 brings in some laughs and charm, and at the same time wants to pursue this incredibly bleak conspiracy stuff, as well as Maggie-Q-as-Jack-Bauer and her British Spy Boyfriend and CHUCK the computer wizard (not /that/ CHUCK the computer wizard/spy). It becomes a mess.
Also, the conspiracy stuff resolves so poorly, with Anthony Michael Hall's thread being left in a similar state to other dead-not-dead situations, but it turns out he's unceremoniously dead.
[close]

9 episodes left to finish the series. I'm looking forward seeing how they resolve it almost as much as I'm happy to move on.

Bebpo

« Reply #17634 on: March 09, 2020, 02:20:32 AM »
finished Fukunaga's Maniac. It's weird, when I started it a year or two ago when it came out I liked the first ep of the weird blade runner kinda of world but then I thought it was pretty slow and then the dream eps felt episodic and wasn't engaged & fell asleep a few times & I shelved it, but watching the 2nd half in the last week, I thought it came together really well. I think if I re-watched it I'd love like the whole thing, it's just that a lot of the elements are weird and it's hard to get a feel of what's going on with the subplots and themes until pretty far in. Everyone was good acting, but I thought Jonah Hill was top notch and his best acting performance yet. Liked it a lot.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #17635 on: March 09, 2020, 01:51:58 PM »
9 episodes left to finish the series. I'm looking forward seeing how they resolve it almost as much as I'm happy to move on.

There's a season 3 which gets even more glorious, as it tries to get super woke and includes - I shit you not - a staff member telling not-jack-bauer-or-president-bartletts transgender sister to check her privilege after being deadnamed

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #17636 on: March 09, 2020, 03:32:02 PM »
was watching ep 4 of curb  :yuck found it all disgusting watching these rich white libs taking private jets to cabo bitching and whining in their luxurious private flight  ::) fuck these people  :pacspit

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #17637 on: March 10, 2020, 12:24:38 AM »

There's a season 3 which gets even more glorious, as it tries to get super woke and includes - I shit you not - a staff member telling not-jack-bauer-or-president-bartletts transgender sister to check her privilege after being deadnamed

Yes, I'm in s3 now, enjoying it for the most part. The melodrama has definitely been beefed up. I miss Lyor, Kendra, and Mike Ritter. I do not like Isobel, Aaron Shore's mouthy and egocentric girlfriend. I am enjoying the inclusion of documentary-shot, real-person footage they're using for various hotbutton issues.

Dickie Dee

« Reply #17638 on: March 10, 2020, 03:26:42 AM »
Castlevania season 3 is :rock :rock

General writing quality seems better than what I remember from S1/2
___

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #17639 on: March 11, 2020, 07:05:48 PM »
Finished Locke and Key.

My partner was really into it, but I was a bit meh on the whole thing. Had some good moments, but overall, I spent most of it looking at my phone.
Spud