Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2046189 times)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #18300 on: March 26, 2021, 12:19:30 PM »
Another good episode of Falcon. 

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18301 on: March 26, 2021, 03:28:59 PM »
I dunno why streaming services keep fucking around with 'experimenting' how to release their stuff.
Just dump it so anyone who wants to binge watch can, you fucks.

I say this as Amazon just dropped the first three episodes of Invincible, and its a pretty good adaptation, but - uhhhhh, maybe spoilerish -
spoiler (click to show/hide)
the early 'twist' is basically in the fucking show box art

but doesn't happen in the episodes they dropped, although the fate of the global guardians happens at the end of ep 1
[close]

Invincible as a cartoon seems enough of a hard sell, so I guess the three episode drop is to get people interested because the weekly wouldn't?
I have no idea how these fucking companies decide this shit. Just roll a fucking dice AFAICS.

Either way, Invincible is pretty good. Fits nicely alongside The Boys and The Tick in Amazon Primes superhero collection.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18302 on: March 26, 2021, 04:10:52 PM »
Reason why most streaming services don’t do the big drop anymore is they learned from Netflix that it’s really really bad for overall engagement. Basically everyone binges that weekend and talk about it that weekend then engagement with it falls off a cliff. It’s much better for the brand and service of ppl are talking about it week to week. Pretty sure Netflix only still does it because they built their brand around it so they kinda fucked themselves.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18303 on: March 26, 2021, 04:17:17 PM »
Reason why most streaming services don’t do the big drop anymore is they learned from Netflix that it’s really really bad for overall engagement. Basically everyone binges that weekend and talk about it that weekend then engagement with it falls off a cliff. It’s much better for the brand and service of ppl are talking about it week to week. Pretty sure Netflix only still does it because they built their brand around it so they kinda fucked themselves.

I know thats the accepted wisdom, but it doesn't track, and its not even consistent across services.
The Boys season 1 was a full series drop and got huge buzz, series 2 was a week by week and basically nobody talked about it.

Wandavision got huge buzz as a week by week, Falcon & Winter Soldier not so much. They might as well have done the full series drop.

Some stuff just doesn't get buzz. Whether you tease that out or show it all at once seems less relevant than what the show is.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18304 on: March 26, 2021, 07:10:34 PM »
Two episodes into Invincible.  I like it.  Wasn't expecting how ultraviolent it got after how cheesy the opening was.  I'm kind of tired of parody-justice-league groups, but this is working ok so far.  The space alien stuff felt a lot like one-punch man. 

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18305 on: March 26, 2021, 07:53:30 PM »
What you mean falcon is hitting trending on Twitter every week so far. Pretty sure it was either Hulu or Amazon that explicitly stated they did better engagement wise with this release schedule too. I can’t find it but I think it was part of pr a year or two ago. M

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18306 on: March 26, 2021, 10:40:11 PM »
Lupin is real cornball and I love it.  Like every episode ends with him walking away like :smug while police sirens blare in the background. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18307 on: March 26, 2021, 10:56:47 PM »
WTF

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18308 on: March 27, 2021, 12:09:16 AM »
WTF

(Image removed from quote.)
Like with all Sony movie games, you still need to hold a controller to watch.  :smug

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18309 on: March 28, 2021, 08:44:51 PM »
In fairness, Lupin's is clearly just charging.

And it could be symbolic for his lack of involvement in his son's life.

Tasty

« Reply #18310 on: March 29, 2021, 12:30:10 PM »

Neat.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #18311 on: March 29, 2021, 12:34:00 PM »
 :titus

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18312 on: March 29, 2021, 12:36:29 PM »
Nice.  Like the first season. 

Bebpo

« Reply #18313 on: March 29, 2021, 05:14:15 PM »
Yeah, been waiting for Creepshow S2. First season was exactly my cheesy jam. The werewolves vs nazis & genie in a suitcase eps were :chefskiss

Watched Invincible ep1-3 last night. I've had the comic sitting around forever but never read it. Show was solid, the animation is kind of cheap bad outside of the action which is good (I don't watch much western animation, so I'm comparing it to like Castlevania or good anime productions), and the VA cast including cameos is INSANE, though I feel some of the delivery is kind of stilted though by ep3 I think that is on purpose with JK Simmon's delivery (he comes across as the worst VA by far).

It's interesting enough and I assume S1 isn't going to cover the whole comic since it's a pretty large comic, so I'll probably watch S1 and then just read the comic book.

Tasty

« Reply #18314 on: March 29, 2021, 05:28:02 PM »
I started reading the Wiki summary of the comic book but jesus I didn't realize there was so. Much. Plot. I had read like four of the first arc descriptions before realizing my scrollbar was tiny and I had like sixteen arcs left to go. :doge Bailed out at that point.

Seems like a neat enough premise, but I wonder how long a superhero send-up can go on before it merely becomes the thing it was originally sending-up. Like, would The Boys still have its bitingly-satirical edge if it goes on for 10 seasons?

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18315 on: March 29, 2021, 05:53:26 PM »
Yeah it’s a lot. I read a ton of it a long time ago and I remember by the time it got to where I left off, it felt like they could have rebranded and relaunched the book like Dragon Ball to Z. So much had happened and characters had changed a good deal.

Bebpo

« Reply #18316 on: March 29, 2021, 06:05:36 PM »
Oh shit, I thought the Invincible Compendium I have which was huge was the whole thing.

Just looked it up and it's only issues #1-47 out of #144.

Yeah, if this show adaptation is successful this thing is going to go on for years, will definitely just jump on the comic after this season and see if it sticks.

I still haven't watched The Boys S2  :'(

Also Invincible feels like The Boys if it was less edgy, which tonally I probably enjoy more. Which makes sense because Kirkman isn't going to write like Ennis.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18317 on: March 29, 2021, 06:59:58 PM »
I’ve read like 11 volumes of Invincible trade paperbacks. They’re great. I’m wary of an adaptation, but will still try it.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18318 on: March 29, 2021, 09:09:14 PM »
I started Invincible last night. Went in completely blind. Was ready to turn it off after the first bit because it was so fucking cheesy/anime, but then that scene hit and hooked me in completely.
Spud

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18319 on: March 30, 2021, 05:59:17 AM »
I’ve read like 11 volumes of Invincible trade paperbacks. They’re great. I’m wary of an adaptation, but will still try it.

Its a very faithful adaptation, they've just streamlined some early stuff with the benefit of hindsight, and moved some of the guardians of the globe storyline earlier to work as foreshadowing that this isn't just an on the nose pastiche of Teen Titans or whatever.

Basically, you'll know if you like how they're adapting it or not by the end of Episode 1.

Tasty

« Reply #18320 on: April 02, 2021, 11:41:58 AM »
https://collider.com/leaving-hbo-max-april-2021/

Old Scooby shows leaving HBO Max this month, WTF. :maf

Bebpo

« Reply #18321 on: April 05, 2021, 03:55:29 AM »
oh my god

the second story in Creepshow S2E1 is like a canon Evil Dead spinoff starring Ted Raimi and the Necronomicon. It's 22 mins of Evil Dead references and it's pretty hilarious.

The first story was actually pretty well directed but the story just kinda falls apart in the end and is nonsense :/ Second story made up for it.

Tasty

« Reply #18322 on: April 05, 2021, 08:36:20 PM »
Shameless (2011, Showtime)

Anyone else watching this? Next Sunday is the final episode. The latter half of the show is rocky as fuck, but I'm in it til the end for these characters.

I hope Emmy Rossum cameos next episode. Total waste otherwise.

Tasty

« Reply #18323 on: April 05, 2021, 09:10:55 PM »
I got into it when season ~7? was live. Had a lot of fun marathoning it with my roommate and a friend (who got us into it.) I always absolutely fucking hated Joan Cusack's character though, show got a lot better when she left.

I do love Addams Family Values so hopefully my Gay Card is still valid.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #18324 on: April 05, 2021, 09:13:24 PM »
I started reading the Wiki summary of the comic book but jesus I didn't realize there was so. Much. Plot. I had read like four of the first arc descriptions before realizing my scrollbar was tiny and I had like sixteen arcs left to go. :doge Bailed out at that point.

Seems like a neat enough premise, but I wonder how long a superhero send-up can go on before it merely becomes the thing it was originally sending-up. Like, would The Boys still have its bitingly-satirical edge if it goes on for 10 seasons?
Oh shit, I thought the Invincible Compendium I have which was huge was the whole thing.

Just looked it up and it's only issues #1-47 out of #144.

Yeah, if this show adaptation is successful this thing is going to go on for years, will definitely just jump on the comic after this season and see if it sticks.
if they are adapting straight there's two separate time skips in there too, and it's not a few months time skip like The Walking Dead did, and one of them doesn't even apply to the main character

spoiler (click to show/hide)
he goes in a hole and comes back out five years later, but it's just seconds for him
[close]

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18325 on: April 06, 2021, 09:15:47 AM »
Shameless (2011, Showtime)

Anyone else watching this? Next Sunday is the final episode. The latter half of the show is rocky as fuck, but I'm in it til the end for these characters.

I hope Emmy Rossum cameos next episode. Total waste otherwise.

I probably will when UK Netflix shows it, but I assume its on its last legs like the UK version was at this point in time.
I'd figure she would, or at least the producers will be trying to get her back, as the UK one got everyone back for the finale.

Tasty

« Reply #18326 on: April 06, 2021, 10:21:51 AM »
How is the UK version? Always been curious.

Tasty

« Reply #18327 on: April 06, 2021, 10:50:40 AM »
https://collider.com/leaving-hbo-max-april-2021/

Old Scooby shows leaving HBO Max this month, WTF. :maf

https://twitter.com/TVMoJoe/status/1379159304498868224

Scooby saved! :gladbron

Someone in charge of Space Jam 2 marketing must have gotten on a call with one of his their bosses at Warners/AT&T. :lol

Edit- changed casually sexist language
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 02:33:30 PM by Tasty »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18328 on: April 06, 2021, 11:26:20 AM »
Prime tells me shows are leaving all the time, but when it comes to the date they get renewed.  On prime at least it just seems like a weird automation artifact that the end used accidentally gets to see.

Tasty

« Reply #18329 on: April 06, 2021, 11:42:25 AM »
Yeah. Pretty much every platform tries to obscure and downplay it I think, outside some "leaving soon" emails I get from Max. I think Netflix has a "leaving soon" category too maybe?

Most of the time you only get a picture of what's leaving from third-party blogs. :/

Quaker

« Reply #18330 on: April 06, 2021, 11:42:34 AM »
I've got no beef getting nickel and dimed by every major IP holder now that they've decided they have to individually paywall their properties in order to remain culturally relevant and financially solvent(accessibility and time are what people should value, not an optional $6/month that you can easily dip in and out of IMO) but at least have the brains/balls to have accurate "recently added" and "leaving soon" pages. Criterion Channel is the only one that actually gets it 99% right. HBO is halfway there(they publish a nearly complete press release usually a week before the start of the month but their in-app "New" and "Leaving Soon" pages are incomplete). Hulu sucks. Netflix doesn't even bother and killed the API that was able to be scraped years ago.

As it is I've got to use a hit or miss Letterboxd list that's pretty good considering it's just some dude manually editing it.

https://letterboxd.com/joebarden/list/leaving-streaming-services-april-may-2021/detail/by/rating/

Tasty

« Reply #18331 on: April 06, 2021, 11:44:58 AM »
Netflix doesn't even bother and killed the API that was able to be scraped years ago.

Ahhhh so that's what happened. Yeah everyone is trying to be as cagey and private with their data now, lot of people on Deadline et al lamenting the lack of public numbers coming out of streaming in general.

Being an analytics company with at least slightly-accurate numbers on streaming viewership will likely be big business if it isn't already. Everyone needs a quote for their press release.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18332 on: April 06, 2021, 12:48:41 PM »

Very good, I think the US version even has the same "show runner" (as you guys call it).
It was a pretty smooth transition from UK -> US, although the US one is a bit more Fiona focussed (she ran off with the car thief JAMES MCAVOY in the UK version and it just stayed an ensemble thing)

Netflix doesn't even bother and killed the API that was able to be scraped years ago.

Any help?

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #18333 on: April 06, 2021, 01:18:25 PM »

I like both versions, though as said above, the UK version was also clearly running out of gas by the end of its run and were giving screen time to or introducing new characters no one really cared about.  The US and UK versions first seasons are pretty similar, but then the storylines/characters become pretty different.  Like in the UK version, Debbie is pretty level-headed and doesn't get involved in the family's antics for the most part.  She actually becomes the defacto parent in the house after Fiona leaves after the first season.

Tasty

« Reply #18334 on: April 06, 2021, 01:20:34 PM »
I'll tentatively add it to my watchlist, but it's gonna have to wait until after The Wire and a few others lol.

Thanks for the opinions fellas. :)

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18335 on: April 06, 2021, 01:45:24 PM »
I mean... nah, I can't recommend it as a better watch than The Wire :rofl

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #18336 on: April 06, 2021, 02:45:37 PM »
I finished The Wire a little while ago and it was fantastic.

I followed it up with Oz, which was also very good despite a limp ending. 

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18337 on: April 06, 2021, 03:31:18 PM »
wrong thread  >:(

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Millarriffic
« Reply #18338 on: April 08, 2021, 01:46:02 AM »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18339 on: April 08, 2021, 02:02:28 AM »
Looks like everyone wants a slice of The Boys success.

Speaking of which, got a few more episodes of Invincible in and I still like it, even though it's way more "teen drama" than I usually care for.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 04:50:47 AM by Potato »
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18340 on: April 08, 2021, 03:03:49 AM »
There was quite a bit of that in the comics, but if they are truly hewing to the same stories, there will be plenty of eschatonic dread soon.

Bebpo

« Reply #18341 on: April 08, 2021, 03:25:53 PM »
Watched Ted Lasso ep1. Seems fun. Fish out of water stories usually are pretty entertaining if the characters are likable.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18342 on: April 08, 2021, 03:46:10 PM »
I'm sort of interested in Jupiters Legacy, but only in seeing if my suspicions are correct and that its Vaughn + Goldman fixing Millars shit that makes good stuff

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18343 on: April 08, 2021, 07:25:00 PM »
Zemo cut

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #18344 on: April 08, 2021, 07:36:34 PM »
I started The Serpent.

A new Netflix thing about a french serial killer in Bangkok chased by a Dutch embassy worker based on a true story.
It is more interesting than it sounds but the time skips are a bit overbearing. Every other scene it says "3 months later", "8 months earlier", "3 weeks ago" etc. .

Still the story and characters are compelling and the 70's/80's Bangkok setting is well executed.
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18345 on: April 08, 2021, 08:59:37 PM »
Started Lovecraft Country.  Really enjoyed the book.  Jurnee Smollett   :horny

benjipwns

« Reply #18346 on: April 09, 2021, 12:12:57 AM »
I really like the Jupiter's Legacy/Circle comic series and that trailer looks decent at getting the family stuff from it but I dunno if I want to watch adaptations of literally every comic property that has a "take" on the superhero genre though. :lol

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18347 on: April 09, 2021, 01:45:06 AM »
I really like the Jupiter's Legacy/Circle comic series and that trailer looks decent at getting the family stuff from it but I dunno if I want to watch adaptations of literally every comic property that has a "take" on the superhero genre though. :lol
It seems the same take, more or less, we've seen already?
"What if Superheroes behaved like """"regular people""""?" Obviously through a satirical lense so warped, that they behave like cartoon versions of normal people, so mostly defeating the purpose.
At least The Boys feels like an outright (dark/edgy) comedy, when it isn't trying to be sentimental.

I've only seen a couple of pages of the comic, but the trailer looks like it has a lot of clichè lines, bad costumes, worse wigs, and then devolves in the usual action set pieces you've seen a million times.
I don't think making Superman a drunk and WonderWoman a vapid socialite (or whatever they're doing) is in itself an idea revolutionary enough at this point.

The problem with these "real" superheroes takes, is that they are barely removed from classic superhero material, in terms of tone and content.
It'd be interesting to have a "Superman is real" take, but with a really dry, realistic approach: No music, no battles, no melodrama, no costumes, no colorful characters.
The idea of a super-being existing can have social and political ramifications that'd be fun to explore, and you can argue Watchmen comes closer to that than others, but still paints with a very larger than life, colorful brush.

Bebpo

« Reply #18348 on: April 09, 2021, 04:01:48 AM »
Invincible was good again this week. Someone was saying the show is covering ~10 issues an episode, which seems insane? That's like 100+pages per ep and the 144 issue entire series would only take like 2 seasons since season 1 is 8 episodes.

Well, will read the comic after ep8 at the end of the month and see for myself.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18349 on: April 09, 2021, 04:20:57 AM »
Invincible was good again this week. Someone was saying the show is covering ~10 issues an episode, which seems insane? That's like 100+pages per ep and the 144 issue entire series would only take like 2 seasons since season 1 is 8 episodes.

Well, will read the comic after ep8 at the end of the month and see for myself.

Its interesting how they're adapting it, because yeah they are super accelerating some stuff, but they're also dragging some other stuff out, as well as throwing in new stuff - like that whole try outs to be in the guardians scene basically happened off camera in the comics, and his trip to mars happens after the-big-thing-I-assume-will-be-the-season-finale with his dad in the comics.

When TV has burned through every cliche and trope there is in comics on screen, then we can get the Alan Moore super fucking meta Supreme run adaptation though

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18350 on: April 09, 2021, 12:04:34 PM »
Falcon was really good.  Glad they are exploring the world post-snap. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18351 on: April 09, 2021, 09:17:18 PM »
Onto episode 5 of Lovecraft Country - the LGBT stuff is weird and seems kind of distasteful.  Maybe it will get better.  other than that, I'm loving it.

Quaker

« Reply #18352 on: April 09, 2021, 09:38:19 PM »
The Korean War episode in the middle was very good but I remember being thrown off by him doing some war crimes shit. It was totally in-line with the typical Cable TV antihero(Tony Soprano/Walter White/Vic Mackey) but aside from this one specific instance the guy is portrayed as virtuous and sympathetic and the disparity is never really addressed?

In any case, I was pretty disappointed by the show aside from that episode and a BTTF-like time paradox episode later on but I heard a very good interview with the showrunner a week or two ago and it sounded like she was trying her best so hopefully the show can rebound if they do a second season.

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/30/982668346/lovecraft-country-creator-aims-to-reclaim-the-horror-genre-for-people-of-color
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 01:40:08 AM by Quaker »

benjipwns

« Reply #18353 on: April 09, 2021, 10:13:42 PM »
It seems the same take, more or less, we've seen already?
"What if Superheroes behaved like """"regular people""""?" Obviously through a satirical lense so warped, that they behave like cartoon versions of normal people, so mostly defeating the purpose.
At least The Boys feels like an outright (dark/edgy) comedy, when it isn't trying to be sentimental.

I've only seen a couple of pages of the comic, but the trailer looks like it has a lot of clichè lines, bad costumes, worse wigs, and then devolves in the usual action set pieces you've seen a million times.
I don't think making Superman a drunk and WonderWoman a vapid socialite (or whatever they're doing) is in itself an idea revolutionary enough at this point.

The problem with these "real" superheroes takes, is that they are barely removed from classic superhero material, in terms of tone and content.
It'd be interesting to have a "Superman is real" take, but with a really dry, realistic approach: No music, no battles, no melodrama, no costumes, no colorful characters.
The idea of a super-being existing can have social and political ramifications that'd be fun to explore, and you can argue Watchmen comes closer to that than others, but still paints with a very larger than life, colorful brush.
The latter is more what the comic is about, the families and the "legacy" (of the title) being how the second generation and third generation grows up in the shadow of these superhumans who were also supposedly perfect morally and who uplifted the world to greater heights. If children are always trying to best their parents how can you best your dad being Superman who also brought world peace and all kinds of new technology and etc. The superhero identities and fights are examined initially as the toll they take on the later generations who never asked to be part of some big lifelong superhero/villain battle with Lex Luthor or whatever. It's closer thematically to Morrison's The Just than it is to something like The Boys or whatever else "superheroes but real" trope, it doesn't even exist in that kind of world IIRC, it's a standard comic world.

No idea at all how much of that is being adapted into the TV series of course. The trailer does touch on some of the stuff, without too much context, that related to those themes in the comic but they may just be blindly recreating scenes or whatever too.

When TV has burned through every cliche and trope there is in comics on screen, then we can get the Alan Moore super fucking meta Supreme run adaptation though
Oh, well, in that case...

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #18354 on: April 09, 2021, 10:22:05 PM »
Falcon was really good.  Glad they are exploring the world post-snap.

It is a good time, and I think nearly everything that the New Cap has done has been predictable, but it is enjoyable still. Zemo is the star.
rub

Bebpo

« Reply #18355 on: April 10, 2021, 01:30:21 AM »
Falcon is really dumb but entertaining. The antagonist group and Sam’s dilemma are pretty weak, but Zemo is good and US Agent is alright. The Wakanda team fight was good action this ep.

I kinda feel instead of Black Panther 2 given Bossman’s passing, a Wakanda show about the side characters would be a better direction for now. Build up someone to take on the mantle.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #18356 on: April 10, 2021, 02:03:18 AM »
Finished Black Sails. I've been watching it over the past two years. Sad to say goodbye to the characters. Great show.
:O

Bebpo

« Reply #18357 on: April 10, 2021, 02:35:51 AM »
Man, Creepshow s2e2 had a good first story but the second story was so bad. Worst in the show so far   :doge

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18358 on: April 10, 2021, 04:28:15 AM »
Finished Black Sails. I've been watching it over the past two years. Sad to say goodbye to the characters. Great show.
One of the best and most consistently excellent TV shows i've watched.
Should've destroyed Game of Thrones in the ratings, but people like turds.

I'm happy it got to finish its story arc properly, for the most part (even though the final part felt a bit rushed), unlike ROME.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18359 on: April 10, 2021, 09:41:06 AM »
I liked Creepshow S2E2 - mostly because of how dumb it was, but ya it wasn't a great episode.