Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2046463 times)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #18360 on: April 10, 2021, 12:05:29 PM »
Lovecraft Country  -  'The computer needs a motherboard' , 'what's a motherboard'? 
spoiler (click to show/hide)
'Me.  I'm going to jack into the machine'
[close]

:dead

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18361 on: April 10, 2021, 01:50:32 PM »
Finished it.  Enjoyed the book more.  Generally, I let adaptations stand on their own, and don't really try to compare them, but this made a lot of changes that didn't make any sense to the characters.  It also got deep into CW territory with everyone have a new secret to cause drama every episode.  Still enjoyed it but the first 4 episodes are a lot stronger than the last 6. 

Bebpo

« Reply #18362 on: April 10, 2021, 03:43:11 PM »
Yeah, I still haven't read the book but I thought Lovecraft Country TV was pretty bad. It started strong and the Korea ep was good, but by the end it was such a mess. The general consensus I heard when it was airing was that the book was way better and they basically went their own way with the show.

I liked Creepshow S2E2 - mostly because of how dumb it was, but ya it wasn't a great episode.

The first story was good, but the second story was just like pointless. Pesticide guy has an acid trip and nothing makes much sense, but that's ok because the devil. The end.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18363 on: April 10, 2021, 04:11:30 PM »
Some cool stuff but yeah it was sloppy af.

Tasty

« Reply #18364 on: April 11, 2021, 11:15:04 PM »
Shameless US series finale

Some good moments but man feels like a lot of missed opportunities. I was 90% sure they'd do a full-circle thing with the burning car intro speech from the pilot and I wasn't wrong.

Weird not gonna have this to "rely" on, been in my life for years and has a lot of nostalgia for a certain period of my life. Even though the show was barely worth watching after Fiona left, I still counted on it "being there..."

I was a bit buzzed so William H. Macy's final speech got to me, not gonna lie. And above all else I suppose, I'm happy Ian and Mickey got (and kept) their happy ending. That means a lot to a gay guy with no expectation for one. :'(
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 11:20:34 PM by Tasty »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18365 on: April 12, 2021, 09:12:54 AM »
I watched two episodes of Invincible out curiosity.
I'm not sure wtf is going on in this show.
On a 40 minutes episode (too long, btw) you have 35 min of what is essentially your run of the mill teenage drama cartoon, slightly aged up in some aspects.
And then they close it off with these Rick&Morty-style, comically gory fight scenes.  :lol

Tbh the normal part of the show is mostly uninteresting (also the characters are so generic, i don't understand if they're supposed to be parodies or not?) but the splatter fests are pretty fun to watch.
Maybe i should just look up a compilation of those.  :thinking

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18366 on: April 12, 2021, 09:46:56 AM »
I would have dropped it had the first episode not ended as it did.  Been enjoying it so far and I'm slightly invested in the story and characters at this point.   

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18367 on: April 12, 2021, 10:02:22 AM »
Shameless US series finale

Some good moments but man feels like a lot of missed opportunities. I was 90% sure they'd do a full-circle thing with the burning car intro speech from the pilot and I wasn't wrong.

Weird not gonna have this to "rely" on, been in my life for years and has a lot of nostalgia for a certain period of my life. Even though the show was barely worth watching after Fiona left, I still counted on it "being there..."

I was a bit buzzed so William H. Macy's final speech got to me, not gonna lie. And above all else I suppose, I'm happy Ian and Mickey got (and kept) their happy ending. That means a lot to a gay guy with no expectation for one. :'(

You’re sweet, kind and loving. It will come. Only the loveless don’t find love. A good relationship can exist for you, please believe that. Bless up.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 11:06:29 AM by toku »

Tasty

« Reply #18368 on: April 12, 2021, 10:31:49 AM »
:heartbeat bless up, thank you man

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18369 on: April 12, 2021, 10:33:39 AM »
I would have dropped it had the first episode not ended as it did.  Been enjoying it so far and I'm slightly invested in the story and characters at this point.   
Me too.
I watched ep2 exactly for those last 2 minutes, but then ep2 followed the same formula (more or less) and left me confused as to what the point they're going for.
Is the teen stuff supposed to be ironic? Again, the use of violence is kind of comical (like i said, kind of like a Rick & Morty type show) but then the drama seems to be trying to be played straight?

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18370 on: April 14, 2021, 01:05:36 PM »
Ok, dropped it in the middle of ep3, when they had the Justice League try out or whatever.
I just can't with this humor.  :stahp

I'm enjoying season 2 of Solar Opposites though, this show in better than Rick&Morty tbh, same base humor, but it doesn't have the shitty "depressed Rick" moments and the annoying euphoric™ smugness.

Tasty

« Reply #18371 on: April 16, 2021, 08:29:10 AM »

Leon guarantees I'm on board.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18372 on: April 16, 2021, 11:09:58 AM »
Oh yeah, this looks like the CGi movies but in series form.
Top shelf schlock.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18373 on: April 16, 2021, 11:19:10 AM »
I enjoyed Falcon again.  Liked that so much of this episode was downtime.  The fight scene at the start was really impressive. 

Not sure I liked Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Madam Hydra though.
[close]

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18374 on: April 17, 2021, 05:24:58 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18375 on: April 17, 2021, 05:40:57 PM »
Amazon has the money.

Tasty

« Reply #18376 on: April 17, 2021, 06:17:23 PM »
Amazon has the money.

For now.

Isn't Bezos on the way out too? :thinking

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #18377 on: April 18, 2021, 03:22:19 AM »
Amazon's 'The Lord of the Rings' to Cost $465M for Just One Season

This is dumb, but we'll see.
extended editions are already about 12 hours of lotr, that's like a series  :yeshrug gotta be other fantasy chit they coulda used  :snoop

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18378 on: April 18, 2021, 05:41:22 AM »
Amazon has the money.
That's true, but still, putting all those eggs into one basket? I guess they paid so much for the rights, that they HAD to go all in.
Personally i would've preferred to have 3 medium sized new shows, than a single gigantic one, especially since it can still be ruined by shitty writing (as the Game of Thrones later seasons demonstrated).

But at least it's spent on a world that kind of demands a high budget (fantasy epic) and not something completely cretin as to de-age Robert Deniro and Al Pacino.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18379 on: April 18, 2021, 07:15:54 AM »
Not sure I liked Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Madam Hydra though.
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #18380 on: April 19, 2021, 09:12:38 PM »
Moments of brilliance but Falcon/Winter Soldier feels pretty weak overall. Can't put my finger on why yet.

Tasty

« Reply #18381 on: April 23, 2021, 12:10:22 AM »
https://www.vulture.com/2021/04/shudder-horror-streaming-interview.html

Good interview with some of the people behind AMC's Shudder streamer (which I've personally recommended a few times.)

Are these movies that are already made, and you’re simply the distributor? Or are you getting involved earlier in the development process and putting your creative mark on projects?

Emily Gotto: We’re coming in at different phases, [including] festivals and marketplaces. And we’re now broadening our reach … coming in to fully finance films. That lets us really be part of the collaborative process of making content available to our subscribers [rather than] letting the market dictate to us what we can show. It’s us bringing stuff to the consumer.

Craig Engler: A great example of an original was Host last year. We had seen a short film by a director we knew on Twitter [Rob Savage]. We reached out and said, “Hey, is there a feature version of this?” And they came back and said, “Yes, there is.” They sent us a pitch deck. It was actually relatively short, six pages long. But we green-lit the movie based on two words: Zoom séance. We had the film up on the service in three months last year, during the pandemic. I think that that just shows we’re willing to move very quickly, very decisively. We don’t want to be beholden to what’s available to us.

This tracks with my gut feeling that the streaming wars are a huge net-benefit for smaller-to-mid-budget films and emerging creators. A lot of gatekeepers got deposed when linear TV started declining.

Also gives me more confidence in my current direction. :)

Tuckers Law

« Reply #18382 on: April 23, 2021, 12:31:59 AM »
Great to hear, as my case of the olds grows more pernicious, I find myself less and less enthralled by the big budget action shit, and more lusty for smaller flicks.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18383 on: April 23, 2021, 04:15:13 AM »
we green-lit the movie based on two words: Zoom séance.

:mike

Bebpo

« Reply #18384 on: April 23, 2021, 05:35:43 AM »
Falcon finale was solid. I think overall the show had some good action and character moments but whoever thought up the flag-smashers plot needs to be replaced by a better scenario writer. They were really generic boring ass antagonists which took the whole thing down a notch. Felt like watching some regular non-marvel, non-HBO, non-prestige TV show story. Falcon & Winter Soldier deserved a better storyline to be in.

Also it was kind of lame that

They wasted Zemo like that in the end. Story would've been much better if he ended up as the main antagonist.
[close]

Excited for Loki though. Hiddleston is greaaaat.

Bebpo

« Reply #18385 on: April 23, 2021, 06:34:21 AM »
wow, Creepshow is legit great most of the time this season. Just caught up on ep3 with the space & siblings and both were great.

This show is really bringing back a genre that doesn't exist much anymore of camp horror. I hope it gets a lot more seasons.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18386 on: April 23, 2021, 06:36:07 AM »
Yeah, Loki looks like it might be good, but it's not just that Hiddleston is great (he is) - the Loki character is pretty interesting, and the show premise is also pretty interesting, assuming its basically Quantum Leap meets Hustle / Leverage.

Tasty

« Reply #18387 on: April 23, 2021, 09:30:15 AM »
we green-lit the movie based on two words: Zoom séance.

:mike

If that can sell...

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18388 on: April 23, 2021, 09:32:20 AM »
I hear that movie is good

Tasty

« Reply #18389 on: April 23, 2021, 09:37:41 AM »
I mean, the bar for those types of movies is Unfriended.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18390 on: April 23, 2021, 09:50:35 AM »
https://www.vulture.com/2021/04/shudder-horror-streaming-interview.html

Good interview with some of the people behind AMC's Shudder streamer (which I've personally recommended a few times.)

Are these movies that are already made, and you’re simply the distributor? Or are you getting involved earlier in the development process and putting your creative mark on projects?

Emily Gotto: We’re coming in at different phases, [including] festivals and marketplaces. And we’re now broadening our reach … coming in to fully finance films. That lets us really be part of the collaborative process of making content available to our subscribers [rather than] letting the market dictate to us what we can show. It’s us bringing stuff to the consumer.

Craig Engler: A great example of an original was Host last year. We had seen a short film by a director we knew on Twitter [Rob Savage]. We reached out and said, “Hey, is there a feature version of this?” And they came back and said, “Yes, there is.” They sent us a pitch deck. It was actually relatively short, six pages long. But we green-lit the movie based on two words: Zoom séance. We had the film up on the service in three months last year, during the pandemic. I think that that just shows we’re willing to move very quickly, very decisively. We don’t want to be beholden to what’s available to us.

This tracks with my gut feeling that the streaming wars are a huge net-benefit for smaller-to-mid-budget films and emerging creators. A lot of gatekeepers got deposed when linear TV started declining.

Also gives me more confidence in my current direction. :)

It absolutely is. You can do it.

Tasty

« Reply #18391 on: April 23, 2021, 10:16:56 AM »
:heartbeat :heartbeat :heartbeat

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18392 on: April 23, 2021, 11:24:00 AM »
Falcon was really good.  A lot of the action was pretty stunning, especially Falcon himself.  It very much felt on par with a full movie most of the time.  I'm really glad the story explored post-snap issues, though the Flagsmashers were too generic.  I liked the main one though.  I feel like an episode just devoted to them would have really fleshed out their story.  I really hope this isn't the end of post-snap stuff.  Actually, I really hope this gets a second season. 

The show's handling of race issues I think was great.  I really wasn't expecting Marvel to push it that hard.  It got a bit cornball this episode but honestly, it felt good and I think Marvel correctly read that something hopeful was something needed right now.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #18393 on: April 23, 2021, 12:27:21 PM »
I liked Falcon, and I liked the Winter Soldier, and I really liked John Walker and Zemo, but I thought everything else was CW tier. Really fun characters that deserved better villains and better pacing. I'm really glad that after the shield was handed over in endgame that they didn't weasel out passing the mantle, but they might as well have if the character is forever trapped in these tv shows that don't do him justice.

Also,
John Walker brutally beat a random brown man to death in front of cameras and got a promotion for it, not even an ass whooping from Sam  :dead
[close]
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 12:32:50 PM by Coffee Dog »

Tuckers Law

« Reply #18394 on: April 23, 2021, 12:31:12 PM »
I haven’t watched Falcon yet, but if Wandovision is anything to go by, I’m betting that show only wishes it could have someone as good Arrowverse’s Malcolm Merlyn or Damien Dahrk.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18395 on: April 23, 2021, 12:53:19 PM »
Felt like they cut out all the stuff that would make you properly sympathize with Flag Smashers and to a smaller
Degree Walker too. The action was great but the ending didn’t feel earned, like maybe they thought you’d care too much for Carli and her cause so they cut most of her out of the show.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18396 on: April 23, 2021, 02:42:24 PM »

From yesterday's Taskmaster.  Warning NSFL.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #18397 on: April 23, 2021, 09:58:23 PM »
I liked Falcon, and I liked the Winter Soldier, and I really liked John Walker and Zemo, but I thought everything else was CW tier. Really fun characters that deserved better villains and better pacing. I'm really glad that after the shield was handed over in endgame that they didn't weasel out passing the mantle, but they might as well have if the character is forever trapped in these tv shows that don't do him justice.

It was just announced that the showrunner is writing the next Captain America movie
___

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18398 on: April 23, 2021, 11:11:43 PM »
Shadow and Bone is a bit too YA to be good. 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18399 on: April 23, 2021, 11:28:28 PM »
Falcon finale was solid. I think overall the show had some good action and character moments but whoever thought up the flag-smashers plot needs to be replaced by a better scenario writer. They were really generic boring ass antagonists which took the whole thing down a notch. Felt like watching some regular non-marvel, non-HBO, non-prestige TV show story. Falcon & Winter Soldier deserved a better storyline to be in.

Also it was kind of lame that

They wasted Zemo like that in the end. Story would've been much better if he ended up as the main antagonist.
[close]

Excited for Loki though. Hiddleston is greaaaat.

Zemo was made to be much more likeable in this series, and maybe it was done that way to set up a Thunderbolts TV show or movie in the future?
 :thinking

I liked Falcon, and I liked the Winter Soldier, and I really liked John Walker and Zemo, but I thought everything else was CW tier. Really fun characters that deserved better villains and better pacing.

That's a really good way of putting it and pretty much how I thought about this show- likeable main characters, "eh" plot.  Just did not care for the Flag Smashers at all.

Also thought that Falcon looked pretty goofy when
he got his Captain America suit, but that fits in with the comics because he looked pretty goofy when they made him Cap briefly there, too.  I marked out when Walker appeared as U.S. Agent- figured that was coming but it was cool to see.
[close]

I think Loki will be a much, much more interesting show than this or WandaVision were.  Am kind of bummed out that the next movies are Black Widow (which is going to feel "dated" now), Shang-Chi, and Eternals.  I'd rather get right to Spider-Man and Dr. Strange, lol.
ど助平

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #18400 on: April 24, 2021, 01:08:17 AM »
Beggs talks about Lionsgate’s 360 strategy for mining IP that The Continental is part of, reveals that a new series rake on American Psycho is in the works and addresses the long-circulating rumors about a Saw TV series.

American Psycho is in development. We’re always exploring what we can do in television with something like the Saw franchise, so that’s a conversation.”

Beggs would not elaborate further, but I hear that Lionsgate TV is in early talks on a TV series adaptation of the book of Saw, from Mark Burg and Oren Koules’ Twisted Television.
:-\

Tuckers Law

« Reply #18401 on: April 24, 2021, 01:11:04 AM »
I bet they make American Psycho a zanier, 80’s-infused facsimile of Dexter.

Tasty

« Reply #18402 on: April 24, 2021, 01:15:10 AM »
Lionsgate isn't going to last (on its own) another 5 years. I'm surprised Chaos Walking didn't put them six feet under already.

Tasty

« Reply #18403 on: April 24, 2021, 01:24:59 AM »
American Psycho could work well as a series, but it would need HBO levels of skill in the writing and production.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18404 on: April 24, 2021, 07:26:37 AM »
I bet they make American Psycho a zanier, 80’s-infused facsimile of Dexter.

I would watch that :idont

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18405 on: April 24, 2021, 07:36:49 AM »
From yesterday's Taskmaster.  Warning NSFL.

I don't know if you knew Greg Davies had his own sitcom with Mike Wozniak (current contestant) and Roisin Conarty (former contestant), but he did and you can probably obtain it on the interwebs. Its on UK Netflix and All4.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18406 on: April 24, 2021, 10:09:09 AM »
Ya man down is good

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18407 on: April 24, 2021, 10:10:00 AM »
Shadow and Bone is a bit too YA to be good.

The whole teenage love shit is super ya cringe. Girl you got superpowers and a tall dark handsome general now grow up.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18408 on: April 24, 2021, 10:40:14 AM »
It's the 'I'm an experienced soldier used to hard conditions, but my orphan brother-lover hasn't sent a letter in a long time.  The only conclusion is that he must hate me.' that really bummed me out of the show. 

Tasty

« Reply #18409 on: April 24, 2021, 07:46:53 PM »
Variety: HBO Max, Adult Swim Combine Adult Animation Development Teams Under Suzanna Makkos.
https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/hbo-max-adult-swim-animation-suzanna-makkos-1234958782/

Venture Bros. on HBO Max one step closer... maybe. :shh

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #18410 on: April 24, 2021, 09:03:42 PM »
Rewatched most of Scrubs. It's still sensationally funny.... and damn, no way they could get away with some of these jokes today  :lol

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18411 on: April 24, 2021, 09:57:05 PM »
Scrubs is so good.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #18412 on: April 24, 2021, 10:01:27 PM »
Cougar Town is so good too.

Borealis

« Reply #18413 on: April 25, 2021, 12:20:27 AM »
I really hope they renew Invincible for a Season 2 and more.

Bebpo

« Reply #18414 on: April 25, 2021, 12:52:33 AM »
Watched ep4 of Creepshow S2, was solid.
But then I finally watched the holiday special from last year which I missed since I unsubbed from Shudder between S1 and S2.

THAT WAS SO GOOD. Amazing episode. Better than all the eps in S1/S2. Was really funny. Adam Pally was fantastic as the main guy.

Bebpo

« Reply #18415 on: April 25, 2021, 03:21:30 AM »
Yeah, Invincible was really good this week. Need that last ep now.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #18416 on: April 26, 2021, 10:33:36 AM »
Falcon and The Winter Soldier... sorry
CAPTAIN AMERICA and the Winter Soldier
[close]
had a good finale, good action. I'm not too deep into the history of characters so some appearances are completely lost on me. My wife looks at me when a character revelation is revealed and I'm like "I dunno." I know Sam became Captain America in a storyline. What JLD is going here and who she is portraying is a complete mystery to me.

I feel like the Flag Smashers and Karli were supposed to be a little more sympathetic, but the relocation storyline wasn't enough. It needed like one more episode to flesh that out. Same with the reveal of the Power Broker. Needd like 30 minutes to explain the family lineage a little more and why this is bad. Or good. Who knows!

Senator: "Thanks, Sam, I mean Captain America!"
Sam: (deeeep breath) "ACTUALLY...."

Wow that speech was good, but did it go on and on.

Elijah picking up a tree like a twig was hilarious. Subtle.

The stories are good, but they are starting to get a little inside baseball. Great action though. Disney spent a lot of money on this, and it shows.
rub

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18417 on: April 27, 2021, 08:48:08 PM »
Invincible cartoon spoilers? Funny yt comedy:
[close]

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18418 on: April 27, 2021, 10:57:33 PM »
Yep. That pretty much sums that scene up.

He could definitely get up to some way more freaky shit with super girl anyway. Fuck Amber the whore.
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18419 on: April 28, 2021, 04:30:09 AM »
Amazon's HANNA series s1 is freaking great. Joel Kinnaman is a fantastic actor, I'd probably watch anything with him in it that isn't the first Suicide Squad movie. The show moves at a good clip, no filler, and has only a few lame plot-armor-logic errors.
Teenage friend Sophie seems to entirely forget that she saw Hanna destroy several armed security guards and nearly shoot one of them in a fugue state. The CIA would be watching Sophie's family for a while after they'd had contact with Hanna; yeah, Wiegler is trying to keep it off the books as possible, but lack of coverage would be a red flag if it ever came under even casual review.
[close]