Author Topic: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads  (Read 825081 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads
« Reply #5160 on: June 28, 2018, 01:28:00 PM »
Flash War #3 ends with the creation of Sage Force and Strength Force to compliment the Speed Force. :lol

All three combine into the TriForce.

You joke, but when I look at that comic panel below, the first thing that comes to mind is "bad guy gets all the infinite stones force powers and combines then into a gauntlet mega-force power" for a big crossover event.  :doge
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #5161 on: June 28, 2018, 10:01:54 PM »
At least with this there are no macguffins.

There's no limit to the amount of characters they can hand these powers to!

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5162 on: July 01, 2018, 06:31:18 AM »
finally up to date, the batman wedding 2 parter with cat and joker was great, mister miracle is fucking amazing atm, so three new JL books, cool

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #5163 on: July 01, 2018, 06:55:27 AM »
the harley and joker wedding special takes place right before the joker, upset about not being invited, finally goes to see the bat and the cat, ends with him finding the gun under a dumpster out back of the church solving his problem of coming up with a plan :lol

only one of those so far that seemed like an actual tie-in

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5164 on: July 03, 2018, 04:41:07 PM »
DC pulled a Marvel and spoiled Batman #50 in the New York Times already.  :lol ::)

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Catwoman and Batman will not get married because Batman needs to unhappy to be a superhero.

The answers to the questions are found in letters the couple have written to each other before their wedding day. Mr. Wayne’s correspondence reveals an acceptance of Ms. Kyle, who in her time has been a jewel thief, a villain, an antihero and a mob boss. “You’re not someone who can be figured out. Or solved. And never will be,” he declares. He also writes that he can be “more than a boy whose parents are dead,” that he can be “the man who loves you. Who will always try to love you better.”

Ms. Kyle’s letter lays out the truth as she sees it: “You’re still a child, Bruce. A hurt child.” Their happiness, she speculates, would kill Batman, who rescues everyone and turns pain into hope. “How can I do that,” she writes. “To save the world, heroes make sacrifices.”

In order to keep countless innocents safe, she concludes that she cannot marry Mr. Wayne. “My sacrifice is my life. It’s you.”

In the final moments of their story, the bride and groom end up at different locations in the early morning hours. In a silent page, Ms. Kyle sits on a rooftop, contemplating. She discards her veil and leaps toward the street. At the Finger Tower skyscraper, after an hour of waiting for his bride, Mr. Wayne realizes she is not coming. He throws off his tie and takes a similar leap, but in the opposite direction. Theirs is a story that is forever to be continued.

LOL.  Can we stop it with this wedding fake-out shit now in comics?
[close]

:dead

ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #5165 on: July 03, 2018, 04:48:36 PM »
King says it's not really spoiled, whatever that means.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5166 on: July 03, 2018, 05:44:52 PM »
I mean that's what Joker and the cat were talking about all last chapter, maybe not spoiled, but I didnt think they would go through with it.

benjipwns

« Reply #5167 on: July 03, 2018, 05:53:07 PM »
There's supposed to be more Bruce/Selina flashbacks in the wedding issue (that's what all the artists are for), so I wonder if the "spoiler" is describing one of those?

The solicitation for this week's Catwoman debut explicitly says they're married so...?

Speaking of which, hoping it turns out good, as the New 52 series was pretty weaksauce after the epic that was Volume 2.

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #5168 on: July 03, 2018, 10:29:54 PM »
This wedding thing is the biggest comics clusterfuck since One More Day. I held out hope that King could stick the landing because THE LAST PAGE IS A BLOW JOB TO THE BRAIN, but then the final page leaked and... there is no scennario where this story redeems itself. It just manages to get stupider.

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #5169 on: July 03, 2018, 11:24:45 PM »

DC pulled a Marvel and spoiled Batman #50 in the New York Times already.  :lol ::)

Catwoman and Batman will not get married because Batman needs to unhappy to be a superhero.

The answers to the questions are found in letters the couple have written to each other before their wedding day. Mr. Wayne’s correspondence reveals an acceptance of Ms. Kyle, who in her time has been a jewel thief, a villain, an antihero and a mob boss. “You’re not someone who can be figured out. Or solved. And never will be,” he declares. He also writes that he can be “more than a boy whose parents are dead,” that he can be “the man who loves you. Who will always try to love you better.”

Ms. Kyle’s letter lays out the truth as she sees it: “You’re still a child, Bruce. A hurt child.” Their happiness, she speculates, would kill Batman, who rescues everyone and turns pain into hope. “How can I do that,” she writes. “To save the world, heroes make sacrifices.”

In order to keep countless innocents safe, she concludes that she cannot marry Mr. Wayne. “My sacrifice is my life. It’s you.”

In the final moments of their story, the bride and groom end up at different locations in the early morning hours. In a silent page, Ms. Kyle sits on a rooftop, contemplating. She discards her veil and leaps toward the street. At the Finger Tower skyscraper, after an hour of waiting for his bride, Mr. Wayne realizes she is not coming. He throws off his tie and takes a similar leap, but in the opposite direction. Theirs is a story that is forever to be continued.

LOL.  Can we stop it with this wedding fake-out shit now in comics?
[close]

:dead

:beli :comeon

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5170 on: July 04, 2018, 12:32:54 AM »
I dont see why people hate the wedding so much, I've really enjoyed all of the Tom King run for the interesting stories and micro arcs.

benjipwns

« Reply #5171 on: July 04, 2018, 12:58:23 AM »
"War of Jokes and Riddles" needed to be half the length. And Bruce was being really a big baby about it. He's done far worse. Probably even to Selina herself. :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #5172 on: July 04, 2018, 02:08:26 AM »
DC Comics have a five-point explanation for spoiling Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle’s wedding in Batman #50 via The New York Times Sunday morning ahead of the book’s July 4 street date.

John Cunningham, Senior Vice President of Sales for DC Comics, wrote the following on a local comic shop retailer Facebook group:

“1. DC Sales strongly advocated getting the news out ahead of the OSD, so that the Moment of Realization did not occur hours before events began. We even did our level best to try and spoil it here on this page over and over again (and failed). The NY Times article was posted here at 630 a.m. PST not out of “Pride” — please — but to get you the information as soon as we could.

2. In the abstract, we believed the news would break on Monday morning, given the arrival time of physical copies in store and the reality that a copy or a scan would end up being passed to uncontrolled comic book outlets (much like Marvel’s wedding issue last week and every other major comic book event in the lat decade).

3. As mentioned here before, any discussion about financial remedies for problematic DC product must occur after the product is on sale.

4. While The Times piece is more fulsome that [sic] some might like, it does not spoil the shock ending of the book for fans. We’re working on getting this posted here for you.

5. I stand by my belief that BATMAN #50 is one of the best single issue periodicals of the last decade, that it is a special moment in comic book history, and that if it’s not the book we (think) we want, it’s the book we need.”

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5173 on: July 04, 2018, 02:11:10 AM »
"War of Jokes and Riddles" needed to be half the length. And Bruce was being really a big baby about it. He's done far worse. Probably even to Selina herself. :lol
Yeah I didnt really dig that arc, but I'm okay with it cause it was a lot shorter than arcs in other books.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #5174 on: July 04, 2018, 02:21:50 AM »
I've really liked the King run. It's very dry and sometimes a bit abstract. But I really like it. It's been touching and thanks to how he writes the characters, a bit more "human" feeling.

But I did think the last two issues with Joker were pretty bad.  Felt kind of up it's own ass with how it chooses to write the character's in a surreal humanistic way.  Didn't like it.

But I thought maybe the wedding would happen as well they've allowed Supes to be married, why not Batman. He has a kid. That's stuck. But yeah issue 49 did kind of spell it out.

benjipwns

« Reply #5175 on: July 04, 2018, 03:19:50 AM »
tasty post if you're okay after reading man of steel #6

benjipwns

« Reply #5176 on: July 04, 2018, 07:16:43 AM »

I think the released spoiler is somewhat deceptive because of the presenting of this as the final part of an arc and something signifcant.

This was never supposed to be the end of King's run, but the midpoint, and what this sets up is a continuation of it including the Cat-Bat relationship arc, everything they've been dealing with and discussing throughout the arc is being confronted now with an active component. Selina's (and Bruce's) fears will be disproven by where the grander arc goes with that actual ending. Also, I'm not sure this has ever been a story that needs a marriage, what does that add to the relationship we've already been getting, it's not like the Bat and the Cat were going to stop having their adventures. But there's nothing to make me think King is going to drop this, it'll come back.
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #5177 on: July 04, 2018, 07:17:16 AM »
meanwhile in Justice League, the important questions:

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5178 on: July 04, 2018, 08:10:57 AM »
Apparently the entire chapter has leaked? My buddy just told me he read it :/

Tasty

« Reply #5179 on: July 04, 2018, 09:07:49 AM »
tasty post if you're okay after reading man of steel #6

Been on pause since #1.

I'm not ready brehs. :fbm

Tasty

« Reply #5180 on: July 04, 2018, 09:08:18 AM »
Apparently the entire chapter has leaked? My buddy just told me he read it :/

Comics are released on Wednesdays...?

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5181 on: July 04, 2018, 11:03:51 AM »
my buddy read it tuesday, also it was online before I could buy digitally or physical here :(

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5182 on: July 04, 2018, 01:32:50 PM »
you cold hearted fucks, i loved everything about batman #50 except the last goddamn page

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5183 on: July 04, 2018, 06:34:18 PM »
Can someone explain the last page of Batman #50?

Who is the woman in Arkham and why the hell is there another Batman (looks like the Thomas Wayne Batman from Flashpoint?) down there with Bane?
[close]
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5184 on: July 05, 2018, 12:09:15 AM »

Who is the woman in Arkham and why the hell is there another Batman (looks like the Thomas Wayne Batman from Flashpoint?) down there with Bane?
[close]

Never mind, I'm sorry I asked.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/07/03/final-scene-batman-50-mean-tom-king-run/

:whatisthis
ど助平

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5185 on: July 05, 2018, 12:34:17 AM »
I just woke up and would have explained, I assume bleedingcool does adequately as I will never give those losers a click lol

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #5186 on: July 05, 2018, 01:24:09 AM »

[close]

Never mind, I'm sorry I asked.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/07/03/final-scene-batman-50-mean-tom-king-run/

:whatisthis

:what

da Fuck

Rahxephon91

« Reply #5187 on: July 05, 2018, 02:00:55 AM »
King’s Batman is great.

Tasty

« Reply #5188 on: July 05, 2018, 09:39:39 AM »
Bane's obsession with Batman in King's run feels manufactured. Like yeah it was always a thing, but Bane doing some super Xanatos gambit to "break" Batman's emotions? Come on.

And Joker's OK with being hired help? Come on.

Bane even used to be more of an antihero but I guess that's gone now too.

Freyj

« Reply #5189 on: July 05, 2018, 11:30:30 AM »
King’s Batman is great.

It is but this was lame. Both the “fake out” and the “Bane did it”.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5190 on: July 05, 2018, 11:33:39 AM »
King’s Batman is great.

I haven't read any of this, but the BC article also implies that the characters shown with Bane means that all their related storylines were them "acting" and going along with Bane's plan, which just sounds all kinds of stupid.

I guess destroying weddings is the new character death thing now.  This one reminds me of the 80s X-Men Wolverine/Mariko wedding storyline, where Mastermind manipulated Mariko into not marrying Logan.   :doge
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 12:50:24 AM by bork »
ど助平

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5191 on: July 05, 2018, 01:32:46 PM »
Tom King's style is like the characters are doing a stage production anyway, so that's no so bad. I wish they just didnt, though. I thought the comic was a lovely way to end the arc without that last page

kingv

« Reply #5192 on: July 05, 2018, 11:44:05 PM »
King’s Batman is great.

I haven't read any of this, but the CBR article also implies that the characters shown with Bane means that all their related storylines were them "acting" and going along with Bane's plan, which just sounds all kinds of stupid.

I guess destroying weddings is the new character death thing now.  This one reminds me of the 80s X-Men Wolverine/Mariko wedding storyline, where Mastermind manipulated Mariko into not marrying Logan.   :doge

Worked for Spider-Man?!

I don’t really like Tom King’s Batman that much. It just feels weird to me. Like I don’t like the way the comic revels in its absurdity. I can see that it is sort of a creative take on it, but I prefer my classic superhero comics to basically play it straight and not have a sort of wink and a nod aspect to it.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #5193 on: July 06, 2018, 12:19:22 AM »
Even Sherif of Babylon which is set in the real world has a similar feeling of surrealness that his Batman does. It’s not for everyone. And while I do like King, even some issues of Batman annoy me. Like 48 and 49 which featured a bit too much of his style and created a situation that felt too unreal. I don’t like the way he writes the Joker.

benjipwns

« Reply #5194 on: July 06, 2018, 05:57:42 AM »
I don't see it as the way Bleeding Cool does, King's run hasn't been told in linear time, and Bane's had a mini-series as part of an ongoing altering of his disposition to dominance.

The idea that it's Flashpoint Thomas Wayne makes no sense, it's not even his outfit. And he ceased to exist. There's many more faux-Batman running around.

Poison Ivy isn't there, nor Talia. Two post-engagement storylines, both of which fell pro-wedding/pro-Selina.

The best "theory" is that Bane allowed the heist, or at least had contingencies, and a number of those happened within the storyline itself iirc. The War of Jokes and Riddles has been over for at least decade now, that's why it was a weak storyline, Bane roping those two in isn't some weird thing, especially those two plus Hugo Strange as part of an effort to attack the Bat's mind. What they would have figured out is that they needed to attack Selina. That's where The Joker and Holly came in at the end. A corrupt Skeets was part of where Bruce stopped having his doubts and when King started noting that he was finally vulnerable. The Joker was needed to both sideline Harley, an ally, and "crash" the invite to attack Selina.

There's no resolution to #49 in #50, it skips time.

Bane's obsession with Batman in King's run feels manufactured. Like yeah it was always a thing, but Bane doing some super Xanatos gambit to "break" Batman's emotions? Come on.
That was Bane's original introduction into the comics. A year long plan to break the Bat physically, emotionally and mentally until he broke into Wayne Manor and literally "broke the bat" by snapping his spinal cord.

It involved a whole menagerie of the villains too, because Bane was utterly ruthless.

The Joker isn't necessarily hired help as much as he sees fun. At momentary disadvantage. That was why he let The Black Glove call the shots in RIP, and Bane in Knightfall. He'd double cross them both, though he never had it out for Bane like he did Thomas Wayne. :lol

Even Sherif of Babylon which is set in the real world has a similar feeling of surrealness that his Batman does. It’s not for everyone. And while I do like King, even some issues of Batman annoy me. Like 48 and 49 which featured a bit too much of his style and created a situation that felt too unreal. I don’t like the way he writes the Joker.
To add onto this, Sheriff of Babylon's "surrealness" was supposed to reflect the nature of limited information in occupied Iraq and King's feelings of general untrustworthiness towards everyone.

His Batman has been interestingly a deliberate rejection of this instinct of Bruce's by introducing Selina as a companion, rather than trying to foist it up through a Robin or SIGNAL, especially since the current Robin is worse than Bruce himself is. A lot of the stories rely on Bruce having to trust something he can't control. It started in the Gotham storylines. Most recently in the Ivy storyline, he has to trust and rely on Harley to point that he can let her see him using the machine for putting his pants put on in the car.

benjipwns

« Reply #5195 on: July 06, 2018, 06:06:21 AM »
Holly Robinson has been Selina's best friend, long running companion back to Batman: Year One, and throughout her two pre-New 52 runs in her own book. To the point that Holly took over as Catwoman after One Year Later.

Post-Rebirth, Holly systematically murdered 237 people, which Selina tried to take the fall for, but Bruce wouldn't allow it. So Holly slashed his neck and ran. That's the other half of why they went to Talia, to retrieve Holly and put her in prison which she took as a betrayal of their relationship simply so she can be with Bats.

You can see why the psychopath might not take that well and get onboard with Bane's revenge plan.

Tasty

« Reply #5196 on: July 06, 2018, 11:29:13 AM »
Yes benji, I know who Bane was when he was introduced. But he's become an actual character since then and sending him back to square one just feels like King only remembers early Bane and doesn't give a fuck about what came after.

Tasty

« Reply #5197 on: July 06, 2018, 11:30:15 AM »
And the ONLY reason I'm giving even a little bit of leeway on the Joker thing is because, honestly, I don't think it's the "real" Joker, if there is such a thing.

He's one of the three Jokers but not the main one. That's my theory anyways.

benjipwns

« Reply #5198 on: July 06, 2018, 11:50:01 AM »
Yes benji, I know who Bane was when he was introduced. But he's become an actual character since then
You ain't that slick.

And the Three Jokers thing is never being resolved. Geoff Johns is deeeeaaaaaaddddd and buried in a shallow grave with the Snyder Cut.

Tasty

« Reply #5199 on: July 06, 2018, 12:01:22 PM »
Y u gotta kill my dreams like dat :'(

benjipwns

« Reply #5200 on: July 06, 2018, 12:07:55 PM »
Though now that I think about it I think King did say that Johns told him what his plan was, but that King wasn't going to be the one revealing it or using it in Batman as it was supposed to be part of something larger/outside like Doomsday Clock. So maybe...

Tasty

« Reply #5201 on: July 06, 2018, 12:13:26 PM »
Though now that I think about it I think King did say that Johns told him what his plan was, but that King wasn't going to be the one revealing it or using it in Batman as it was supposed to be part of something larger/outside like Doomsday Clock. So maybe...

That's what I'm saying bro.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5202 on: July 12, 2018, 09:50:57 AM »
Savage Dragon #235: What, no genital art this time?  You feeling OK, Erik??  (We still get Maxine sitting on Dragon's face and implied sex elsewhere though).  Not much happens here with Malcolm apart from shaving his beard and then beating up the villain of the month.  Back in Dimenson X, Angel buries her mom and then decides to turn lesbian on Alex, who appears to reciprocate those feelings.  Maybe this should be "Dimension XXX" with all the fucking going on.  Then Freak Force decides to finally go after and rescue them, and them the last shot is of Angel's mom's hand punching through her grave.  OK.  You could skip this entire issue and it probably wouldn't matter much in regards to the story.  Pretty ho-hum.  Larsen needs to do something with Malcolm Dragon already- it feels like nothing has happened with the character since he went to Canada.

X-23 #1: Why did Laura drop the Wolverine name again?  It's never explained here.  She's just back to being X-23 because...?  (The Marvel universe doesn't know that the original Logan is back yet)  This story is all about clones.  Clones, clones, clones.  And more clones.  Mainly focuses on the relationships and parallels between Laura and Gabby, and...the Stepford Cuckoos (wut), who are back and are secretly trying to grow new clone bodies for their previously-deceased sisters, who are already back alive but in decaying bodies.  And I don't really care- They tried to make the three surviving sisters be a bit different from each other and have some actual PERSONALITY in previous comics, but that's all gone here.

Amazing Spider-Man #1 is out, but haven't read it yet.
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #5203 on: July 12, 2018, 11:29:09 AM »
So man of steel? Did it get better? Is it garbage? Is the new status quo garbage?

It sounds like Jor El is somehow still alive and Lois and John go to live with him? Sounds dumb?
[close]

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5204 on: July 12, 2018, 12:31:36 PM »
Man Of Steel is already over.  Was a limited series.  And yup...Jor-El pops up and takes Lois and Jon on a trip through spaaaaaaace so that Bendis can have solo Superman for his new series that just started this week.

Expecting an aged-Jon to come back as evil Superboy or something.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #5205 on: July 12, 2018, 12:52:26 PM »
Bendis can DIAF.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5206 on: July 12, 2018, 01:18:19 PM »
Am gonna say it again: Bendis + Superman is a bad combination.  Totally not a character he should be writing.  I think he could do a good job with a Superboy comic done like (Ultimate) Spider-Man, but he needs to stay the hell away from Clark.

Or better yet, give him Earth 2 to play with and keep him away from the main universe.  I think I said this before, too.  :lol
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #5207 on: July 12, 2018, 04:18:34 PM »
Was Jor-El canonically alive prior to this? This seems sort of like bringing back Uncle Ben, like pretty fucking stupid just on its face.

And how is Jor-El going to criticize Superman as a parent? Supes should be like “fuck you dad, you sent me across the galaxy in a fucking spaceship when I was like a week old! You never even loved me!”

Tasty

« Reply #5208 on: July 12, 2018, 04:45:34 PM »
Was Jor-El canonically alive prior to this? This seems sort of like bringing back Uncle Ben, like pretty fucking stupid just on its face.

And how is Jor-El going to criticize Superman as a parent? Supes should be like “fuck you dad, you sent me across the galaxy in a fucking spaceship when I was like a week old! You never even loved me!”

Jor-El was brought back in Rebirth as Mr. Oz, which was so dumb I have to believe it was an unplanned swerve after literally everyone guessed the character was meant to be Ozymandias.

kingv

« Reply #5209 on: July 12, 2018, 06:41:18 PM »
I saw that after posting.

It’s going to be dumb when they reveal that Ozymandiss was the one controlling him.

But also, like, isn’t everyone super suspect that Jor-El was last seen dying with a hunk of Kryptonite in his eye, and was also a villain, so sending your kid with him seems like a a super dumb move. Or was that explained too. I think I have those trades but sort of petered out around the Manchester black stuff.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5210 on: July 12, 2018, 06:54:56 PM »

Jor-El was brought back in Rebirth as Mr. Oz,

:confused :mindblown
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5211 on: July 13, 2018, 10:43:23 AM »
Superior Spider-ManOctopus is back- Marvel is launching a solo book for him in October!

They also have canceled Spider-Gwen...just so they can relaunch it under the name "Ghost Spider."
ど助平

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5212 on: July 14, 2018, 03:07:11 AM »
Bendis can DIAF.
Yeah no one asked for this shit lmao

Tasty

« Reply #5213 on: July 14, 2018, 06:01:52 PM »
Literally every Superman review post-Rebirth was "this is such a breath of fresh air," "Marvel can learn a thing or two about reversing previous dumbass marriage-related decisions," "this is Superman summed up to a T," complete with review text ranging from stellar to raving about the quality of each story arc.

And then... Bendis.

kingv

« Reply #5214 on: July 15, 2018, 12:11:02 AM »
I have liked some Bendis books in the past, but I think that he will be terrible on Superman.  Basically I’ve liked his daredevil and ultimate Spider-man. Everything else is sort of ehhhgg

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5215 on: July 15, 2018, 02:19:38 AM »
Amazing Spider-Man #1: This really does feel like Spider-Man is finally "getting back to basics" with a fresh start, yet it still calls back to some of the things that happened during Slott's run.  Spider-Man is back to being viewed as an annoying menace by his peers, and Peter's "Parker luck" is back in full force.  I also can't help but look at the art and think I'm seeing a brown-haired Invincible and MJ as Atom Eve.   :P

The big things that happen here are:

-The comic opens with Peter dreaming of a time when he took MJ to the top of a building and let her see the view.  This is from when they were married, which he should have no memories of.  Then he wakes up.  The issue also ends with them hooking up.  Hmm...

-Peter gets fired from his job as Science Editor at the Daily Bugle.  He attends an event where some crazy new machine can examine papers and determine if they were plagiarized or not.  His own work is used as an example and he is "caught" because the paper he wrote was actually written by Doctor Octopus when he was inhabiting Peter's body.   :lol  So now everyone hates him even more than when he was the failed CEO of Parker Industries, lol.
[close]

Aslo Boomerang is Peter's roommate (this was revealed before this issue) and is a shitty roommate, at that.  :doge
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #5216 on: July 15, 2018, 10:00:16 PM »
The second point is actually fucking awesome haha. :lol

Also they finally undoing OMD, hold me brehs. :lawd

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar

kingv

« Reply #5218 on: July 16, 2018, 09:35:08 AM »
I believe the official explanation of One Nore Day is that all the stuff that happens s while they were married happened... they just weren’t married for it.

Though imo it still makes it difficult to parse, because a lot of the dramatic weight of spider-man stories back then relied on the marriage and threats to his family. But afaik, they still lived together in Avengers tower, she still got pregnant with a spider-baby that was taken by the green goblin and so on.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5219 on: July 16, 2018, 11:49:41 AM »
I thought OMD's premise is that they were married and everything happened...but Mephisto just made everyone forget all about it.

EDIT: Nope, you're right:
Mephisto then changes history so that Peter and Mary Jane never married, and no one remembers whose face is underneath Spider-Man's mask. Peter wakes up alone in bed, once again living with Aunt May. He attends a party being held for his best friend Harry Osborn (previously thought to have died in Spectacular Spider-Man #200), who introduces Lilly Hollister and Carlie Cooper. Peter glimpses Mary Jane sadly leaving the party. The guests all toast to a "Brand New Day."

So much dumb shit happened with Spider-Man in the mid 90s through the mid 2000s.  Replacing him with Ben Reilly, having him unmask (wasn't this Bendis?  :lol), the clone shit getting out of control (was what led me to drop the book in '96 or so), the "mystical" spider totem shit...just...no.  Keep it simple.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 11:53:59 AM by bork »
ど助平