Author Topic: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads  (Read 830447 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads
« Reply #5220 on: July 18, 2018, 01:17:29 PM »

:noah
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #5221 on: July 18, 2018, 01:22:20 PM »
I wish I didn't have to hide my love of Rainbow Brite and Sailor Moon as a kid. :'(

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5222 on: July 18, 2018, 01:37:34 PM »
I wish I didn't have to hide my love of Rainbow Brite and Sailor Moon as a kid. :'(

I watched OG My Little Pony, and I never told a soul. :shh
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #5223 on: July 18, 2018, 02:17:28 PM »

I watched OG My Little Pony, and I never told a soul. :shh

:donot

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5224 on: July 18, 2018, 07:23:36 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

:noah

Dynamite, huh?  Can't wait for the inevitable Rainbow Bright Vs. Vampirella Vs. Red Sonja crossover.  :doge
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #5225 on: July 19, 2018, 03:47:43 PM »
Y'all ready to pay $8/month for a rotating selection of "curated" DC comics?

Cause I am. :fbm

kingv

« Reply #5226 on: July 19, 2018, 04:14:50 PM »
They should just ape the marvel unlimited model part and parcel. I love that service ecen though their app is garbage.

Tasty

« Reply #5227 on: July 19, 2018, 10:49:50 PM »

BENJI :lawd

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #5228 on: July 20, 2018, 02:19:47 AM »
oh man tom fucking king, batman 51 is such a great idea

spoiler (click to show/hide)
bruce is stuck on jury duty... on a case involving batman
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #5229 on: July 20, 2018, 08:41:32 AM »
I think it's just a goofy coincidence. Johns introduced the "Three Jokers" in the Darkseid War arc which came out in mid 2015, so it was probably written a little before then.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5230 on: July 20, 2018, 09:47:17 AM »

More multiverse shit?  Black label, though.  :o
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #5231 on: July 20, 2018, 12:10:29 PM »

More multiverse shit?  Black label, though.  :o

Actually the cover has me leaning that it won't be multiverse shit. The common assumption during Darkseid War was the three Jokers were from three different comic eras: silver age, bronze age, modern.

However, if the cover's anything to go by, the Jokers are actually:

- The Joker from his first appearance in Batman (1940) #1.
- The Joker from A Death in the Family (Jason Todd's death.)
- The Joker from The Killing Joke.

Especially the latter two were active in DC continuity very close together.

So yeah, the fact that they're not just going to handwave it with "multiverse shit" is actually very exciting to me. This book will also be in-continuity, where as previously people thought DC Black Label was just going to be R-rated Elseworlds.

kingv

« Reply #5232 on: July 20, 2018, 01:00:05 PM »
This fits as the synopsis was talking about Barbara, Jason, and Bruce and how they have been affected by the joker.

And mentions that there are panels where at least two jokers interact.... will be upset if this is presented as Joker being crazy.

Tasty

« Reply #5233 on: July 20, 2018, 01:11:14 PM »
This fits as the synopsis was talking about Barbara, Jason, and Bruce and how they have been affected by the joker.

And mentions that there are panels where at least two jokers interact.... will be upset if this is presented as Joker being crazy.

Yeah, agreed. What could be really interesting about this tale is if there are in fact three separate Jokers that have operated (and it isn't handwaved away with multiverse shit), because Joker is a character that up until now does not work well with others. Of course, leaving him out of a group can also be disastrous, as Alexander Luthor Jr. found out.

Tasty

« Reply #5234 on: July 20, 2018, 07:32:45 PM »

Freyj

« Reply #5235 on: July 22, 2018, 02:11:12 AM »
As soon as I catch up on Tec I think I’ll be up to date enough for whatever non Batman shit DC Nation #0 kicked off. How’s No Justice, Man Of Steel? Bendis fuck up Supes yet?

Tasty

« Reply #5236 on: July 22, 2018, 02:15:55 AM »
As soon as I catch up on Tec I think I’ll be up to date enough for whatever non Batman shit DC Nation #0 kicked off. How’s No Justice, Man Of Steel? Bendis fuck up Supes yet?

Fucked it up worse than I ever thought possible, in just six issues.

Freyj

« Reply #5237 on: July 22, 2018, 02:26:21 AM »
 :batman

benjipwns

« Reply #5238 on: July 25, 2018, 05:10:14 AM »
Justice League Dark :uguu

kingv

« Reply #5239 on: July 25, 2018, 08:22:13 AM »
Bendis supes is basically a One More Day moment, but for no real reason.

At least in Spider-man they had basically written themselves into a corner on like two storylines, and you understood they needed to something stupid to get themselves out of it.

Freyj

« Reply #5240 on: July 26, 2018, 08:40:37 PM »
Finished Tynion’s Tec run. A little rushed but enjoyable. I’ll probably break there until Tomasi’s run is an issue or so in and start No Justice.

Saving Bendis for last. The preview in DC Nation 0 looked like a turd.

Tasty

« Reply #5241 on: July 26, 2018, 08:52:33 PM »
'Tec is in good hands with Tomasi.

Of course I thought the same thing with King and Batman...

No matter what else, Grayson was still a GOAT comic.

Tasty

« Reply #5242 on: July 26, 2018, 09:24:10 PM »
Also I somehow didn't realize this, but Buffy Season 12 is only running for four issues.

Four. 4. No spinoffs, either. I counted, and:

- Season 8 had 68 issues total, including the canonical part of Angel: After the Fall (the first 17 issues) and spinoffs.
- Season 9 had 65 total, including Angel and spinoffs.
- Season 10 had 55 between Buffy and Angel.
- Season 11 had 24 between Buffy and Angel.

And Dark Horse confirmed it's the last of any Buffy/Angel comic to follow the "season" format.

Joss is writing all four issues so I wonder if this was an early tell that a new Buffyverse show was bubbling before it got officially announced/leaked. It's certainly being billed as the culmination of the entire Buffyverse as we know it, linking Buffy (+Willow, Xander, Dawn, Spike, etc.), Angel (+Illyria, etc.), and Fray (the Slayer from the future, who had her own comic before Season 8, and also a mini-arc in Season 8 too) all together.

Considering all this, Season 12 is already halfway done. Issue #2 came out on the 18th, #3 is August 22nd, and the entire series/universe finale is #4, landing on September 19th.

:drudge BENJI :drudge

Tasty

« Reply #5243 on: July 26, 2018, 09:31:32 PM »
For the record, I think Season 10 was the best season out of the comics. Not too long (Season 8 ), not too short (Seasons 11 and 12.) It's a tough balance but Buffy was at its best mixing a season-long arc with a few diversions, and 10 nailed that the most. The new setting and character dynamics also worked really well for me.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #5245 on: July 29, 2018, 02:42:46 PM »

Freyj

« Reply #5246 on: July 29, 2018, 03:05:25 PM »
Finished No Justice and Man of Steel / Bendis Superman / Action.

No Justice: it was okay? Felt like the necessary bridge from Metal to JL for Snyder but didn’t really do much for me. Enjoyed JL #1 more than any of it.

Man of Steel: Just a complete shit covering of the previously best ongoing. I thought Jor was ripped back by Manhattan the last we saw him?

Rahxephon91

« Reply #5247 on: July 29, 2018, 08:46:33 PM »
I felt the same way about No Justice as I did Metal in the end.

A cool premise with an actual story that went over my head man did nothing for me.

Freyj

« Reply #5248 on: July 29, 2018, 10:32:20 PM »
I felt the same way about No Justice as I did Metal in the end.

A cool premise with an actual story that went over my head man did nothing for me.

Yeah I mean even in JL #1 there's references being dropped that I've either forgotten (very likely) or never knew (also likely). Just part of comics at this point I guess.

Snyder channeling Morrison is appealing, but it comes with all of the "what the christ is going on".

Tasty

« Reply #5249 on: July 29, 2018, 10:40:53 PM »
Snyder was best as the anti-Morrison AKA the first half of his Batman run.

Anyone else trying to "channel Morrison" is going to fail because Morrison only really has done well a handful of times (Black Glove, Batman Inc, Multiversity.) When he's good, he's great, but he produces so many (failed) acid trip fests it's almost infuriating.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5250 on: July 29, 2018, 10:41:15 PM »
Savage Dragon #236:

Just going to use some choice panel selections to sum up this issue.  Right-click and view at as a full image for all of the stuff with Dragon's wife being a total nympho wacky hi-jinx!

ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5251 on: July 29, 2018, 10:46:03 PM »
This preview cover for The Hunt For Wolverine: Mystery In Madripoor went up recently and people think it means that they may be turning Psylocke back into a white woman.  Doesn't seem like something that might go over well with some people in this day and age.  :doge

They've teased this before, though, in a previous storyline where they dug up her original body and resurrected it for a bit or some shit.  I didn't read it.  Could also just be a teaser cover of sorts to throw people off.

I miss scantily-clad Jim Lee-designed Psylocke.   :'(
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #5252 on: July 29, 2018, 10:46:46 PM »
I feel like Erik Larsen just fucking lost it sometime between 1998 and now.

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #5253 on: July 30, 2018, 12:24:08 PM »
Savage Dragon #236:

Just going to use some choice panel selections to sum up this issue.  Right-click and view at as a full image for all of the stuff with Dragon's wife being a total nympho wacky hi-jinx!

Man every time you post an impression of a chapter of this thing i keep saying i should check this shit out

I just need to use a weekend or something. :beli

Tasty

« Reply #5254 on: July 30, 2018, 12:34:10 PM »
I feel like Erik Larsen just fucking lost it sometime between 1998 and now.

Thought you were talking about Jeph Loeb for a second.

kingv

« Reply #5255 on: July 30, 2018, 12:46:39 PM »
Yo, Savage Dragon had a Trump issue?

I’m disappointed if it doesn’t have Trump have sex with Putin in an elevator or something. Or get pissed on by supervillains.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5256 on: July 30, 2018, 08:05:00 PM »
Yo, Savage Dragon had a Trump issue?

ど助平

bluemax

« Reply #5258 on: August 01, 2018, 12:43:20 AM »
Snyder was best as the anti-Morrison AKA the first half of his Batman run.

Anyone else trying to "channel Morrison" is going to fail because Morrison only really has done well a handful of times (Black Glove, Batman Inc, Multiversity.) When he's good, he's great, but he produces so many (failed) acid trip fests it's almost infuriating.

I still love that Batman RIP tied together some random ass Batman story from the early 90s that I remember thinking was super weird as a kid. Having that deep pull out of nowhere was kind of amazing, but probably lost on people who don't remember comics they read 20+ years ago (and shit I barely remember what was going on).
NO

benjipwns

« Reply #5259 on: August 01, 2018, 12:58:56 AM »
The Batman of Zur-En-Arrh is from 1958:

That whole story arc from the start of the run was Morrison's attempts to explain Batman's goofy stories from the 1950s in the new canon, The Black Casebook TPB has the original stories and like a five page essay he wrote to explain it and RIP which I found funny because there was a long period where people ere like "wtf does this even mean" especially since the "ending" was in Final Crisis and they stuck it in the intro to some collection few people are going to even look at. It's where he pulled Doctor Hurt from and the International Club of Heroes.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #5261 on: August 01, 2018, 01:47:39 PM »
He's canonically 13 right now.

So either one, depending on if he's had a barmitzvah or not.

kingv

« Reply #5262 on: August 02, 2018, 03:11:53 AM »
I like that neither looks 13. One looks about 17 and the other about 8.

Freyj

« Reply #5263 on: August 02, 2018, 06:08:30 PM »
another point in the Tomasi Gleason Superman / Super Sons column

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5264 on: August 02, 2018, 06:24:01 PM »
I like that neither looks 13. One looks about 17 and the other about 8.

Exactly- if I didn't know they were the same character, I'd think one was Damien and the other was Tim Drake in those two images.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5265 on: August 03, 2018, 10:10:55 AM »

:crazy  :lol
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5266 on: August 11, 2018, 01:21:49 AM »
Savage Dragon #237:

Hmm.  Not sure if there's enough safe for work panels in this issue to post this time.

Things I've learned:

1. Erik Larsen really likes step brother/sister/wife threesomes
2. Erik Larsen really likes drawing pubic hair
3. Erik Larsen enjoys having...something dripping out of Maxine in at least one panel per issue.

Last issue's riveting plotline established that Dragon's wife, Maxine, gained the superpower of extreme nympho after coming back from the dead.  The issue opens with Dragon and his step-sister, Angel (who just returned from Dimension X and a lesbian affair with Alex) discussing the Maxine problem...while Maxine is sandwiched between the two of them going to town.  :doge  Pretty much anything with Maxine in this issue means fucking.  Her mother, who shacked up with Dragon's step-brother Kevin, also had a baby but that's barely a thing in this issue.  A bad guy shows up, Angel puts on Maxine's schoolgirl outfit because Erik can't have enough fetish shit, and then gets killed by the bad guy.  No more threesomes!?  Huge change in the status quo for this book?  :o  Nah, can't see that happening- either they're gonna find a new partner or Angel isn't dead. 

I wonder if one day we'll get back to this being a superhero book and something actually happening to advance the story. 
:thinking
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 01:26:35 AM by bork »
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #5267 on: August 12, 2018, 04:46:04 AM »
Checked out first four collected editions of Paper Girls, just started reading the first earlier...laughed at the first issue showing that the title is quite literal, that they're actual paper delivery girls. For some reason I never considered that this would be the case. :lol

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5268 on: August 12, 2018, 11:33:02 AM »
Batman 51 & 52 is fun so far, I like the idea that Bane has put Batman in this position to scrutinize his own actions and second guess what he did as Batman. Hopefully this story pays off in the end in a way that doesnt completely ruin Bane and isnt break back part II the rehash.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5269 on: August 12, 2018, 11:47:45 AM »
Mister Miracle 10 - Looking forward to the confrontation between Barda + MM and Darkseid, cant wait to see how it throws me for a loop,

benjipwns

« Reply #5270 on: August 14, 2018, 03:19:36 AM »
Paper Girls is nowhere near as good as Saga, it's also...kinda bad at times. Also, being with Saga since the start, this almost feels like he's trying to write a story built around the same concept, but that loops in and on itself. Since it's time-travel you see events that will happen later. Right now it's mostly "see event" and it happens three issues later or something, but he's starting to drop in "see event, probably in fifteen issues" but knowing how Saga pulls the same stunt it's often not as important as it seems.

Also like, there are five times as many characters as there needs to be and it makes you more wonder are they throwaways or will they come back. Also, the first four collections collect the first 20 issues. At this point, we have barely established anything about the characters to where we need to stop introducing more and more.

After finishing that, though I don't think it's up to the latest issue I'll have to check that, I've moved onto Brian Wood's Starve. From DMZ, The Massive fame. It's basically Anthony Bourdain comes back from hiding in Asia for ten years or something to have to complete his TV show contract, only the show has become a twisted cooking game show made for the 0.1% in a world where that stuff has gotten really bad, and the host and "Bourdain"'s ex-wife are conspiring to not only make him lose, but kill him somehow and ruin the only things he cares about in life. And it's totally a fan-fic of a chef worship book, Wood totally mainlined Kitchen Confidential into his brain. And decided to make it way COOLER like literally having chefs fight for control of kitchens. I have the second collection to read and it has the best cover blurb in ages:
"The best, meanest, new Graphic Novel debut since Transmetropolitan" - Boing Boing

Which makes it sound like it's totally going to complete horseshit tryhardville.

Just to list here what the rest of this pile looks like:
Mycroft Holmes by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, yes, that Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
JoyRide from Jackson Lanzing and Collin Kelly
Normandy Gold from Megan Abbot and Alison Gaylin
Shade the Changing Girl from Young Animal and Cecil Castellucci (which makes me want to finally read the original Shade The Changing Man first sorta)

I'm not entirely sure what these are about, except well, Holmes is kinda obvious, and Shade. And Normandy Gold seems to be some kind of murder mystery thriller set in the 1970s. JoyRide seems to involve GIRLS IN SPACE.

Starve's cover art makes it look like some prehistoric cannibal caveman type thing, and then it opens with a deliberate Bourdain expy in a "twenty minutes from now" future from the second page.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 06:39:33 AM by benjipwns »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5271 on: August 14, 2018, 08:14:49 AM »
Let's talk about X-Men for a minute.

From the Hunt For Wolverine books, there's three big things that have happened:

-Psylocke is getting a caucasian body back.  (Can't wait for the S J W crowd to get wind of this.  :doge)  In fairness, Chris Clarement has said that he originally planned for Asian Psylocke to only last a couple of issues, but the story (or rather, Jim Lee's art) was so popular that it stuck.

-Tony Stark has discovered that X-23 is not a full-on clone of Wolverine and that the scientist/handler she had as a child was actually her mother (I thought we already knew this?)

-Tony has also discovered that one of the X-Men is some kind of sleeper agent, is not a mutant, and has been lying about being a mutant for a very long time.  This is Mister Sinister-related and makes me think it's Gambit. :thinking

Extermination was supposed to have been the big 'X' event happening, where the time-displaced O5 X-Men being time-displaced finally causes a bunch of problems, was being teased as the end of the X-Men, etc. etc.  It hasn't started yet and Marvel is already hyping up the next X-Men event after this.
:dead

Uncanny X-Men is starting back up with the 10-part "Uncanny X-Men: Disassembled" story that teases that this is the end of the X-Men, etc. etc.  Basically exactly what Extermination is doing...again.  :lol
:confused

There's some noticeable absences in that teaser image, including the O5 teenage X-Men (who I assume will be gone after Extermination, otherwise...lol), Wolverine, Old Man Logan (who is also expected to be going away with original Logan back), Magneto (likely back to being a villain), Emma Frost (ditto?), Cable, and X (the resurrected Prof. X in Fantomex's body). 

Really wondering what the point of all these EARTH-SHATTERING EVENT storylines are with the X-Men lately.  Hopefully this is just some kind of clean-up and re-organization to bring the X-Men back into the spotlight and set up teams with characters who will end up popping up in the Marvel movies or something.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 08:43:55 AM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5272 on: August 16, 2018, 07:37:28 AM »
X-Men: Extermination #1:

Pretty sure that the current story in X-Men Blue, which still has one or two more issues to go, is supposed to lead into this, but whatever-

Extermination is being billed as the final time-displaced teenage original five X-Men story and is all about time-travel (and presumably the future being fucked up because of their actions in the present- pretty sure this is what Blue is supposed to have shown already), with classic X-Men: Days Of Future Present villain Ahab returning to hunt down the O5.  Also a number of character deaths.

Spoilers:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cyclops and Blood Storm go on a date and Ahab attacks.  Ahab kills Blood Storm with a conveniently silver-laced spear, citing that there's lots of vampires in the future.  Was wondering how they were going to get rid of this character after the O5 are gone and there we go. 

Cyclops unleashes a massive optic blast that Ahab is unprepared for and escapes.  He goes to the X-Mansion and calls out Prestige (Rachel Grey), because she has recently gotten the "hound" markings on her face in X-Men Gold, who confirms who Ahab is. 

The second part of this story involves a mysterious hooded figure, who to me instantly screams "X-Man," appearing and taking out (young) Iceman.  He is initially saved by Cable, who someone remembered is an X-Men character, but then the hooded figure shoots and kills Cable.  I dunno what it is, but it really felt like Cable went out like a bitch.

Hooded guy takes Iceman and puts him in a holding tank of some kind and we see extra tanks for the remaining time-displaced X-Men.  He then reveals himself to be not X-Man, but...Cable.  A younger Cable without the techno-organic virus.
:confused
[close]
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #5273 on: August 16, 2018, 10:03:59 AM »
I thought X-man was cable... or something like that?

Also, no way that story doesn’t end with a bunch of time fuckery.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5274 on: August 16, 2018, 02:29:07 PM »
Old Man Logan is now Dead Man Logan.

Marvel and Brisson have billed the series as the end of the Old Man Logan saga.

"This is it. This is going to be the big, final Old Man Logan story," Brisson told Newsarama. "Logan's dying and still has a lot of unfinished business to attend to. Dead Man Logan will largely be Logan tying up loose ends - loose ends like Mysterio, the man who, in Old Man Logan's timeline, caused him to kill all of the X-Men. That's not a box that Logan's going to leave unchecked.

"We've got lots of big battles and some crazy stuff in store. With a title like Dead Man Logan, it's probably no surprise where we're going. This one's all about the journey."

The version of Wolverine now known as Old Man Logan was created by Mark Millar and Steve McNiven in the original “Old Man Logan” story. That story was set in an alternate future where the supervillains had struck as a united front and finally defeated the heroes. Mysterio used his illusion powers to get Wolverine to kill the other X-Men. After that, Logan lived for years without popping his claws until the Hulk Gang murdered his family.

I thought X-man was cable... or something like that?

Also, no way that story doesn’t end with a bunch of time fuckery.

Yeah, both are Nathan Summers.   :dizzy
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #5275 on: August 16, 2018, 02:31:59 PM »
X-Man Nathan Summers came over from the Age of Apocalypse universe, though Blink is way better.

kingv

« Reply #5276 on: August 16, 2018, 03:47:28 PM »
Isn’t blink like dead or something? She was cool in exiles.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5277 on: August 16, 2018, 04:44:21 PM »
AoA Blink is still around and is in the latest Exiles revival comic series.

Can't remember what happened to 616 Blink.  They brought her back in one of the X-Men storylines (maybe Necrosha?) as a bad guy, IIRC, but can't recall if she got killed off again or disappeared after that and no one cared.

EDIT: Yup, Necrosha.  Then came back again in a story I didn't read, did a face turn, and I guess that was about it.  No1curr, etc etc.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 04:50:24 PM by bork »
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #5278 on: August 16, 2018, 06:43:13 PM »
The first Exiles run was soooo good.

The mystery behind it all at the start and actually missing the characters as they came and went. :'(

kingv

« Reply #5279 on: August 17, 2018, 01:29:01 PM »
I didn’t realize there was a new exiles.

I really liked the early volumes.... but it gets progressively worse with time.

I’ve been reading the new runaways, and I actually like it... at least the first six issues.