Poll

What sexual dysfunction best explains Avatar fandom?

Anthropomorphilia, or being a fucking furfag
18 (27.7%)
Technophilia, or the replacing of human contact with technology
6 (9.2%)
Transsexuality, or the desire to inhabit a body different from your own
4 (6.2%)
Dysmorphilia, or finding sexual arousal in bodies different from your own
3 (4.6%)
Neophilia, or the elevation of the "new experience" above all else
8 (12.3%)
Homosexuality, or the desire to give James Cameron a reacharound
12 (18.5%)
Gaiaphilia, or being aroused by new-age mysticism
1 (1.5%)
Funkephilia, or you're afraid you just blue yourself
13 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: What sexual dysfunction best explains Avatar fandom?  (Read 163483 times)

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
Re: What sexual dysfunction best explains Avatar fandom?
« Reply #180 on: December 29, 2009, 01:45:05 PM »
no. watch it in 3D.
No that would make it worse.  In fact, he should by a ticket to a better movie and just duck into any 2D showing that's around the same time like I suggested that Willco do.
my theory, as confirmed by sonarrat, is latchkey kid + disney afternoon + budding sexuality + introvert = YIFFMASTER DELUXE
That's the piano genius neogaffer that cybers in a dragon costume that I was thinking about, yeah.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #181 on: December 29, 2009, 01:47:28 PM »
sonarrat is awesome, though. he's straight-up honest about his crazy fetish and derailed psyche, and i'd take that over a hundred self-deluded religiotards.
duc

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
« Reply #182 on: December 29, 2009, 02:06:54 PM »
Wait, was sonnarat that guy who talked about how he was the female dragon in a relationship so as not to go out and fuck barnyard animals?  At the very least,  he's responsible.
sad

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #183 on: December 29, 2009, 02:34:20 PM »
willco is being stuffed to the brim with crow.

I didn't say Cameron poorly spent his budget, but all those films have built-in fanbases, hence why they are a solid bet financially. Avatar is a risky gamble. As I said, I think it will pay off, but to the degree that those other films did for their respective studios? To be determined.

I'm not a fan of mega-budget films anyway, for reasons already stated. Compromise, collaboration and adversity create the best movies; a film will never reach its full potential if producers and directors get to throw money at all the problems. Imagine if Cameron couldn't necessarily film anything he wanted, thus forcing him to be creative - maybe using, I don't know, characterization to make a thematic point he would have otherwise used an extravagant sequence for.

Yes, I am truly eating crow! I was rooting for it to fail all along! It's not like I know people whose livelihoods were financed by Avatar! ::)

That said, Avatar could make a billion dollars, and I still wouldn't finance a non-franchise tentpole flick in the range of $500 million.

Quote from: Phoenix Dark
Avatar over/under: I'm setting it at $300 million (domestically)

I'm saying under

Quote from: Willco
That's a safe beat. Unless this thing is actually mind blowing, I think it'll drop off quickly. Especially since Sherlock Holmes comes out on Christmas.

:teehee
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #184 on: December 29, 2009, 02:37:45 PM »
Actually, a lot of furries point to Tailspin or Rescue Rangers as their "gateway drug" to full-blown furrydom. Real Talk. :-\

my theory, as confirmed by sonarrat, is latchkey kid + disney afternoon + budding sexuality + introvert = YIFFMASTER DELUXE

He no doubt watched a lot of

©@©™

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #185 on: December 29, 2009, 03:26:02 PM »
Quote from: Phoenix Dark
Avatar over/under: I'm setting it at $300 million (domestically)

I'm saying under

Quote from: Willco
That's a safe beat. Unless this thing is actually mind blowing, I think it'll drop off quickly. Especially since Sherlock Holmes comes out on Christmas.

You caught me, I misspelled bet!

As I said on this very page, I concede that I obviously underestimated the value of 3D ticket prices. That said, pulling up a quote where I believe Maurice's projections that it'll do $300 million domestically is a safe bet is hardly a qualifer for saying it'll fail. It hasn't even hit that number yet, and although I think it's a given at this point, I don't think I've ever stood firm on a number (personally) following its opening take.

Typical Avatards confusing my disbelief at greenlighting the project given realistic circumstances (and not 3D magick) with me wanting the project to fail, despite the fact that I may very well be dependent on Fox for my livelihood in the near future. Just because I don't think Jimmy Cameron's 3D Jungle Safari should win Best Picture or that I state it was risky investment (which it was), doesn't mean I hate it.

But I guess the mark of a truly mediocre film propped up by the Internet is insecurity. So I get that.
PSP

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #186 on: December 29, 2009, 06:57:54 PM »
Saw it today.

I had almost completely avoided the hype and internet fanboy wars on both sides concerning the movie.

I enjoyed it. Good movie. Probably not a great movie like Aliens but good enough popcorn material. First 3-D movie I've ever seen in a theater. At first I found that aspect distracting but after awhile you just forgot about and it becomes second nature although certain scenes become harder to make out.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #187 on: December 29, 2009, 10:17:59 PM »
I'm pretty sure the sequel will star Worthington and Saldana's kid having to deal with the humans coming back (since each trip to and from Pandora takes six years each way, he'll be at least 12 by then).  Just my idea since Cameron seems to be using old sci-fi novel tropes.
PS4

Solo

« Reply #188 on: December 29, 2009, 10:29:19 PM »
I sure hope not. Will there be a piano involved?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #189 on: December 29, 2009, 11:09:20 PM »
I'm pretty sure the sequel will star Worthington and Saldana's kid having to deal with the humans coming back (since each trip to and from Pandora takes six years each way, he'll be at least 12 by then).  Just my idea since Cameron seems to be using old sci-fi novel tropes.
Huh. I'd been assuming that the humans win, oddly. I mean, historically the Native Americans and Aborigines and Aleutians and Hawaiians and South American Indians all pretty much failed to rout the technologically superior invaders. IS LOVE REALLY THAT STRONG?
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Or is it all just down to furry sex?
[close]

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #190 on: December 30, 2009, 12:50:48 AM »
You think Avatar would be as big a hit with a downer ending?  You certainly have more faith in the moviegoing public than I do.

It really is Dances With Wolves, in pretty much every plot point.
PS4

Jansen

« Reply #191 on: December 30, 2009, 03:26:44 AM »
fantastic movie.

easily the most fun i've had at the theater since fellowship of the ring.

also the first time i've been to the mainstreet theater in the kansas city which is way better than the theater i usually go to.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 03:29:41 AM by Jansen »

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #192 on: December 30, 2009, 03:34:06 PM »
Just came back from this

Negatives

- As been said over and over again, it retreads on the whole "Outsider enters indigenous tribe, becomes one of them"
- The movie is fucking long but is lengthened by the fact that you're sitting here viewing this formulaic scenario unfold. You end up just wanting shit to move along.
- God this movie was hokey at times. I rolled my eyes at some of the "Oh! Mother Earth!" moments.
- There is no "grey" in this movie. Humans bad, native species good.
- The 3D was good and bad, the bad is that
1) It really darkens the screen, to the point where the imagery loses its "pop"
2) You sort of lose the ability to discern fine detail. This is something I was really hit with in this movie, so lush and full of life, you wanted to study the screen. The 3D sort of smudges the image a bit (relative to non 3D movies) and can be disconcerting at times.
3) There were moments where the Depth of Field and the 3D clash against each other and it ends up straining your eyes more than usual. Its almost as if your eyes are being forcefully dragged to whatever's in focus and bugs your eyes out.
- Sigourney Weaver as a furry. It looked hilarious, they should have toned down on the likeness a bit (since each avatar is tailored to their human, they have facial similarities).

Positives

- Visually stunning. Some of the best rendered imagery I've seen from any movie.
- The 3D really pulled you into the environment. Everything that was going against it (from what I listed above) is made acceptable by the engulfing shots of Pandora. Its also funny feeling just a slight bit of vertigo when they pan from higher elevations.
- Cameron is almost there with making 3D comfortable and normal to watch. As the movie progressed you're left the the sense of depth but the effect did not intrude on the scenes (except where one of the negative scenarios above rear they're head).
- The CG work was amazing. I honestly could not discern what was live action and what wasn't (in regards to the human structures and the human animation), they blended everything perfectly. Now there are moments where something doesn't look right but its not "Hey, that's CG!" it felt less obvious for some reason. The facial gesture work was mind blowing.

So this movie definitely is one giant techdemo. I couldn't really find anything redeeming about the story and characters but absolutely loved the technology behind it (and the execution). Glad I watched it in theaters cause I would not want to watch it again at home without a huge screen and 3D.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 03:37:12 PM by BlueTsunami »
:9

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #193 on: December 30, 2009, 03:36:06 PM »
What type of theater did you see it in?
AMC

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #194 on: December 30, 2009, 03:38:57 PM »
Normal theater (IMAX is sold out till the end of time!). I believe they used the Real 3D tech (which is digital).

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #195 on: December 30, 2009, 03:42:25 PM »
Yeah, that's how I saw it too. It seems like a lot of your negatives would be worse in IMAX, so it's probably good that you saw it in RealD.
AMC

Beezy

« Reply #196 on: December 30, 2009, 10:52:13 PM »
Just came back from seeing it in Real3D. Everyone in my theater either laughed or was disgusted by the furry scene, but they all seemed to like it besides that. Definitely the blockbuster popcorn movie of the year. 3D doesn't feel like a shitty gimmick anymore. :lol

:piss Transformers 2 :piss2

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #197 on: December 30, 2009, 11:00:26 PM »
I saw it on Cinemark's new XD screen. It was pretty awesome, what with it's giant, curved screen and booming sound system.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #198 on: December 30, 2009, 11:07:26 PM »
I saw it on Cinemark's new XD screen. It was pretty awesome, what with it's giant, curved screen and booming sound system.

I've been to demonstrations of those but never a full length film. Sounds pretty cool!

Cool and expensive, unfortunately. But also cool.
dog

Beezy

« Reply #199 on: December 30, 2009, 11:25:30 PM »
If you're going to see this movie it's moronic to opt to see it in a normal theater. The impressive amount of detail in the environments are lost when watching it in a small theater. Plus the 3D projectors are low rent compared to the Phillips ones used in IMAX theaters. RealD also heavily darkens the picture which is a drawback inherent in its TI projector tech.

Why you gotta make me feel bad?

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #200 on: December 30, 2009, 11:26:35 PM »
I don't give a fuck. :shrug

Not worth it to go 25 minutes to the nearest LieMAX theater. Some people have said RealD might be superior.
AMC

Stoney Mason

« Reply #201 on: December 30, 2009, 11:32:22 PM »
I would have preferred to have seen it at an imax theater but I didn't want to do a drive.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
AMC

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #203 on: December 31, 2009, 12:13:21 AM »
RealD also heavily darkens the picture which is a drawback inherent in its TI projector tech.

hmm. this wasnt the case for me. the IMAX 3D showing i went to was much dimmer than the RealD showing. Now I fully admit it could be that my IMAX theater is balls and sucks for 3D, but the RealD showing I went to last Saturday was amazing. the colors were rich and it was very bright.
nat

Beezy

« Reply #204 on: December 31, 2009, 12:48:40 AM »
Yeah, it's a bit bullshit to really go out of your way for an IMAX film. Plus the sales for the RealD theaters is only going to convince more theaters and studios that implementing quality 3D in your film is a great way to get people in the seats. As a whole, screening these types of films (DLP, RealD, pseudo IMAX, etc) is sure to convince theater groups that improving their aging projectors is a worthwhile and reliable investment.
Sure as hell convinced me. I'll make the trip to the theaters a lot more often if they continue to make good 3D movies.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #205 on: December 31, 2009, 01:15:12 AM »
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]
AMC

Beezy

« Reply #206 on: December 31, 2009, 01:16:12 AM »
I hate people...

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #207 on: December 31, 2009, 01:23:45 AM »
Green Shinobi's dream woman.  :heartbeat
PS4

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #208 on: December 31, 2009, 01:36:21 AM »
 :lol
PSP

Stoney Mason

« Reply #209 on: December 31, 2009, 01:48:18 AM »
Sure as hell convinced me. I'll make the trip to the theaters a lot more often if they continue to make good 3D movies.

I pretty much agree. At least for these "blockbuster popcorn" style movies. I came in very skeptical but left impressed. I'm still sort of thinking about that experience in fact which says something. I sort of have this weird feeling that the next time I go see a spectacle movie like this and its not in 3-D, I'll think something is missing....

3-D might even make me sit through some absolutely shitty movies like the Transformers...

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #210 on: December 31, 2009, 01:31:26 PM »
gonna see it this weekend

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #211 on: December 31, 2009, 01:36:48 PM »
dog

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #212 on: December 31, 2009, 01:56:04 PM »
RealD also heavily darkens the picture which is a drawback inherent in its TI projector tech.

hmm. this wasnt the case for me. the IMAX 3D showing i went to was much dimmer than the RealD showing. Now I fully admit it could be that my IMAX theater is balls and sucks for 3D, but the RealD showing I went to last Saturday was amazing. the colors were rich and it was very bright.

Did you see it in an IMAX attached to a science center? Those aren't very up to date. :-\

Also, be warned that a lot of theaters are advertising IMAX screenings but those really aren't true IMAX at all. They may be slightly bigger than your usual theater screen but their IMAX branded projector and audio system really doesn't compare. You can see these links for more information: "Techdirt Blog Post" and "Google Map List of Real/Fake IMAX"

That Google Maps link is great! My local Natick IMAX is a real one :bow

CHOW CHOW

• Iconzzzzz.... zzzzz
« Reply #213 on: December 31, 2009, 02:01:15 PM »
I read this thread the other day and was indescribably furious at the people attacking Green Shinobi.  He's absolutely right.  Ichirou and Am Nintenho can fuck right off.
hey

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #214 on: December 31, 2009, 02:09:28 PM »
Chow Chow is back? Holy shit, EB 2010 will be hot :bow

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #215 on: December 31, 2009, 02:13:13 PM »
Here's a little something to ponder: After 17 days, Avatar will most likely have made between $950 million and $1 billion worldwide.
dog

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #216 on: December 31, 2009, 02:15:38 PM »
And then it will just have started to turn a profit :smug
PSP

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #217 on: December 31, 2009, 02:20:54 PM »
And then it will just have started to turn a profit :smug

Considering that it'll make well above a billion before it's done, I don't really think that's a problem.
dog

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #218 on: December 31, 2009, 02:29:36 PM »
I think it's pretty much a slam dunk that it'll turn a profit in theaters, but with a price tag that is close to $500 million, $1 billion in box office revenue is not a huge profit. Especially since most of that is overseas, where the investors see less from each ticket versus the amount that Hollywood gets from theater revenue in the United States.

The Dark Knight had a price tag of under a $300 million, and grossed over a $1 billion - most of that in the United States. That's the difference.

I think what Avatar has shown is that well-executed 3D cinema can result in a big spike in box office revenue; this kind of box office haul from a non-franchise is pretty much unprecedented. The increased ticket prices are a big reason, but I think Avatar is turning out to be most folk's first digital 3D experience. I expect it to be rolled out to every major Hollywood blockbuster in a year or so. Those big ticket prices are too much to pass over.
PSP

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
« Reply #219 on: December 31, 2009, 02:52:02 PM »
Funkephilia, or you're afraid you just blue yourself

:rofl

I voted for that one.

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
« Reply #220 on: December 31, 2009, 02:54:16 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
That joke, and the analrapist one, pretty much made Arrested Development for me. :rofl

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #221 on: December 31, 2009, 04:34:35 PM »
Wall of text to no one in particular

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #222 on: December 31, 2009, 04:52:18 PM »
I read this thread the other day and was indescribably furious at the people attacking Green Shinobi.  He's absolutely right.  Ichirou and Am Nintenho can fuck right off.
yes, we tried to judge a movie on its merits and not its review score.  you know willco was the one who made gs basically grab his ankles right?

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #223 on: December 31, 2009, 10:38:27 PM »
"indescribably furious" :rofl
PS4

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #224 on: December 31, 2009, 11:05:06 PM »
I've been feeling more and more persuaded over the last couple of weeks that Zoe Saldana deserves a Best Actress nomination for her motion-capture performance as Neytiri in Avatar. In the manner of a silent-film actress Saldana's emoting is necessarily broad, and I understand the uninformed suspicion that it's not she who deserves the credit as much as the motion-capture tweaks that fine-tuned her performance, but my heart knows what it feels. Saldana got me.

Don't even mention Meryl Streep's Dan Aykroyd-y performance in Julie & Julia alongside Saldana's. When I think of Avatar I think first of the 3D-eyeball-sex aspect, and then the final embrace moment between big Neytiri and Sam Worthington's little Jake. That was a huge sink-in for me. I was responding to a woman -- her bravery, conviction -- and not a technology. I felt her character and emotionality as fully as Carey Mulligan's in An Education.

Thoughts?
PS4

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #225 on: December 31, 2009, 11:08:44 PM »
I've been feeling more and more persuaded over the last couple of weeks that Zoe Saldana deserves a Best Actress nomination for her motion-capture performance as Neytiri in Avatar. In the manner of a silent-film actress Saldana's emoting is necessarily broad, and I understand the uninformed suspicion that it's not she who deserves the credit as much as the motion-capture tweaks that fine-tuned her performance, but my heart knows what it feels. Saldana got me.

Don't even mention Meryl Streep's Dan Aykroyd-y performance in Julie & Julia alongside Saldana's. When I think of Avatar I think first of the 3D-eyeball-sex aspect, and then the final embrace moment between big Neytiri and Sam Worthington's little Jake. That was a huge sink-in for me. I was responding to a woman -- her bravery, conviction -- and not a technology. I felt her character and emotionality as fully as Carey Mulligan's in An Education.

Thoughts?

Nice try, PD. http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2009/12/saldana_for_bes.php

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #226 on: December 31, 2009, 11:09:30 PM »
Goddammit. :lol
PS4

etiolate

« Reply #227 on: December 31, 2009, 11:10:29 PM »
Avatar buzz got me thinking back to Titanic and when I worked at a music/video store in the mall. We were pushing Titanic video pre-orders like mad, banking on the huge theatre success to translate to people buying the home version for gifts. I spent months trying to get pre-orders out of customers, assuring them that they'd be sold out otherwise. Finally the thing comes out on VHS, we have boxes and boxes of it, and about 20% of the preorders came to pick it up. A year later we still had boxes of the thing. Nobody cared about the movie anymore. It was like it had a 2 year lifecycle and then everyone realized it sucked. By the time it hit video, the hype train had died. We had to send back boxes of Titanic videos to the supplier because they were just eating up storage space.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #228 on: December 31, 2009, 11:18:14 PM »
Avatar buzz got me thinking back to Titanic and when I worked at a music/video store in the mall. We were pushing Titanic video pre-orders like mad, banking on the huge theatre success to translate to people buying the home version for gifts. I spent months trying to get pre-orders out of customers, assuring them that they'd be sold out otherwise. Finally the thing comes out on VHS, we have boxes and boxes of it, and about 20% of the preorders came to pick it up. A year later we still had boxes of the thing. Nobody cared about the movie anymore. It was like it had a 2 year lifecycle and then everyone realized it sucked. By the time it hit video, the hype train had died. We had to send back boxes of Titanic videos to the supplier because they were just eating up storage space.

Worldwide video and DVD sales and rentals:   $1,200,000,000
http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/1997/TITAN.php

Total worldwide video sales of Titanic topped 57m units in three months, according to Fox, which handled video distribution outside North America. Figure is believed to make movie best-selling video of all time, just ahead of previous record holder, Disney's 1995 release of The Lion King.
http://www.allbusiness.com/media-telecommunications/movies-sound-recording/7540509-1.html

« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 11:20:09 PM by Harry Lime »

etiolate

« Reply #229 on: December 31, 2009, 11:31:43 PM »
That is not what happened where I was.  The distributor certainly sold shitloads to retail, but I don't know beyond that.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #230 on: December 31, 2009, 11:48:40 PM »
Still haven't seen Titanic :rock

Also, I send that Pocahontas video to everyone I know who likes Avatar...and they almost always respond with "lol cool. but Avatar was pretty awesome"

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #231 on: December 31, 2009, 11:49:37 PM »
That is not what happened where I was.  The distributor certainly sold shitloads to retail, but I don't know beyond that.

Consumers spent an estimated $250 million on purchase and rental of "Titanic" video in its first six days of release. It took more than five weeks for the movie to generate that much money at US theaters. An estimated 12-15 million copies were sold during the 1-6 September time period
http://www.casenet.com/movie/titanic.htm

Since 57 million units were moved in three months, I think it's safe to assume retailers--except yours-- were able to move their initial shipments.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 11:53:39 PM by Harry Lime »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #232 on: December 31, 2009, 11:57:22 PM »
I think you just annihilated yourself by spending the last minutes of 2009 looking up Titanic vhs sales numbers

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #233 on: December 31, 2009, 11:59:23 PM »
Winnipeg is in the Central Time Zone.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #234 on: January 01, 2010, 12:09:07 AM »
Well I guess I just annihilated myself in the last minutes of 2009

etiolate

« Reply #235 on: January 01, 2010, 12:10:59 AM »
malek is titanic's very white knight

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #236 on: January 01, 2010, 12:12:46 AM »
It's less about defending Titanic and more about attacking anecdotal stories.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Kate Winslet's boobies!  :heartbeat
[close]

etiolate

« Reply #237 on: January 01, 2010, 12:22:38 AM »
fucked raw naked in Little Children >> emo painting in titanic

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #238 on: January 01, 2010, 12:25:02 AM »
thanks for reminding us of that again  :'( :'( :'(

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #239 on: January 01, 2010, 06:09:40 PM »
fucked raw naked in Little Children >> emo painting in titanic

Huh? Tell me more