Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 794331 times)

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Re: FitnessBore - 2010 edition
« Reply #240 on: January 21, 2010, 09:25:13 PM »
Oh, I do drink maybe a cup of non-fat milk a day. Usually with a meal. I have acid reflux, and it helps soothe that.

And looking at my chart, I do eat under 240g of carbs a day (on average). I don't think that's TOO bad.
PSP

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #241 on: January 21, 2010, 09:40:10 PM »
I will eat tomato sauce, though.

Well there you go, mackerel in tomato sauce. It's a breakfast staple in some top notch countries, you know.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #242 on: January 21, 2010, 09:42:10 PM »
Really? That sounds :yuck
PSP

duckman2000

« Reply #243 on: January 21, 2010, 09:44:24 PM »
Nah, it's pretty awesome. Then again, liver paste and pickles is another breakfast staple in said country.  :lol

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #244 on: January 21, 2010, 10:18:23 PM »
Sounds like Willco is on track. If you want to keep the pasta in your diet, make sure you are getting protein and fat in adequate quantities as part of the same meal. The macronutritent ratios (i.e. carbs: protein: fat) are just as important as the quality and amount of the food. If you have something like aglio olio, have a chunk of chicken breast on the side, say. It's somewhat counter-intuitive but sometimes more food is good.

In that same vein, avoid 'low-fat' foods. In milk, for example, the fat helps to blunt the insulin spike from the carbs. If you have the low-fat version, you're just getting the carbs so your body ends up absorbing MORE calories. I eat full-fat everything. But we're maybe getting a little bit ahead of ourselves here.
vjj

cool breeze

« Reply #245 on: January 21, 2010, 10:23:36 PM »
In terms of veggie matter, I pretty much eat broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, spinach and sweet potatoes. I don't like salad, onions make me sick and I don't like fresh tomatoes/mushrooms. I will eat tomato sauce, though.

You like cooked mushrooms? I can't stand raw mushrooms, but they're so good when cooked.

Also, what about squash? you can make a lot good vegetable sides with squash.  Green Beans are also great.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #246 on: January 21, 2010, 10:52:29 PM »
I like pumpkin squash, but that's about it. I dislike mushrooms entirely. I'll eat pretty much everything, but there is pretty much a holy trifecta of things that make me gag (onions, mushrooms and chunky tomatoes) that complicate dishes.

I love all beans. Green beans especially. Except I really only like to eat fresh green beans, which are kind of pricey. I was eating beans with everything - like lentil soup - until I discovered how high in calories they are.

Like tonight, I made a soup with a boneless, skinless chicken thigh, two cups of organic brother, a chopped carrot and some spices. Then for a main entree, I did stir fry with chicken strips, broccoli, peppers, carrots on some quinoa. I had a cup of soup and one serving of the stir fry (although I ate the soup almost an hour earlier) for like a total of 650 calories. It put me under 2000 for the day.

So, I really am trying. This stuff has been the hardest. The only thing that sucks is since I watch my calories and have carved them from what they were before, I feel a noticeable drop in energy. I was able to do four to five days of cardio, a gym day and a strength training day. Now I really can muster up the energy for two to three days of cardio, a gym day and a strength training day.
PSP

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #247 on: January 21, 2010, 10:54:46 PM »
If you need more energy, eat more fat, I'd say. Use more olive oil in cooking, eat some avocadoes (or guacamole).
Sounds like you're getting adequate amounts of everything else.
vjj

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #248 on: January 21, 2010, 10:56:07 PM »
Is there a way to do that with hiking up the calories too much?
PSP

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #249 on: January 21, 2010, 10:56:58 PM »
And btw, if given the choice between eating a few more calories than you think you need, or having enough energy to continue working out and enjoy life, always pick the latter. It'll pay off down the road.
vjj

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #250 on: January 21, 2010, 10:57:10 PM »
I have not exceeded 78g of fat the past five days (except Outback!), is that too little?
PSP

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #251 on: January 21, 2010, 10:57:58 PM »
Willco. Be honest... since losing weight... has it been easier to see... it
fat

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #252 on: January 21, 2010, 10:58:08 PM »
Is there a way to do that with hiking up the calories too much?

nope. But you may find yourself eating less of the other stuff - fat is incredibly satisfying to the appetite.
vjj

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #253 on: January 21, 2010, 10:59:02 PM »
Willco. Be honest... since losing weight... has it been easier to see... it

It wasn't really a problem to begin with. :smug

... but most of the weight loss has been from that area, oddly enough. My father thought it'd be more upper body, but says the body kind of randomly picks where it pillages from fat stores.
PSP

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #254 on: January 21, 2010, 10:59:29 PM »
I have not exceeded 78g of fat the past five days (except Outback!), is that too little?

well...this is where it starts to get tricky. There are good fats and bad fats. I'm not suggesting you start eating sticks of butter. But that strikes me as a very low amount of healthy fats for someone working out as often as you are.
vjj

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #255 on: January 21, 2010, 11:00:03 PM »
Willco I said be honest. It's cool though, if it is a touchy subject.
fat

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #256 on: January 21, 2010, 11:01:57 PM »
So, you think maybe more red meat? Almonds?
PSP

archie4208

« Reply #257 on: January 21, 2010, 11:08:08 PM »
Nuts are great in moderation.  I eat about half a cup of pistachios (~180 calories) every few days.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #258 on: January 21, 2010, 11:17:07 PM »
Yeah, I always have some nuts around - very easy way to balance out the protein: carbs: fat ratio in a meal. Great to snack on before the gym too. Macadamias are almost 100% fat.

There are a couple of gotchas though - they often come covered in salt, and many types of nut need to be soaked in water for hours before the body can actually digest them. (the idea is that they pass through the animal's digestive tract intact, which carries the seed away from the parent tree).
vjj

cool breeze

« Reply #259 on: January 21, 2010, 11:32:16 PM »
Macadamias and cashews are pretty much crack nuts.  Almonds are great because they're tasty and not as addictive.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #260 on: January 22, 2010, 12:47:43 AM »

Red meat - delicious as it may be, it's hard to actively recommend it on health grounds unless we're talking about the expensive free-range stuff. The fat in most red meat is filled with all the nasty growth hormones and pesticides and shit. You should really be slicing that stuff off (which is a crime but that's our modern food production system for you).
vjj

Rman

« Reply #261 on: January 22, 2010, 12:53:50 AM »
Free range stuff isn't too expensive at some farmer's market in the States.  Can't speak for Japan, obviously, where farmland is at a premium.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #262 on: January 22, 2010, 10:15:02 AM »
Mups:

What you're doing will work to an extent but it's not optimal by any means. It's too complicated and too random, and there is needless duplication. As duckman says, squats AND leg press is silly - leg press is a distinguished mentally-challenged fellow version of a proper squat. If you do the squat right, you shouldn't be CAPABLE of doing leg press afterward. (the reason it's distinguished mentally-challenged is because your back is completely supported throughout the lift, so you lose all the benefit to your back - people only like it because they think OMG I'm pressing 400lbs! They're not).

Curls and rows are not terrible to start off with (they're safe and easy to do correctly) but your goal should be to build up to pull-ups, power cleans and deadlifts, which have a far greater benefit. But these require decent strength and/or technique so no need to jump straight in on them if what you're doing is working for you at the moment. Just remember this for when you plateau (which you will).

You are very much correct in your observation that the 'pump' is mostly temporary from this kind of isolation work. To get bigger, you actually need to move heavy weights, and EAT. You're effectively on a calorie-controlled diet - your arms aren't going to gain two or three inches no matter how many curls you do.

archie - the HIIT stuff is great, I love it too. But it doesn't go well with a stronglifts-style program. You're really slowing the strength gains by doing all that extra stuff, because there is no way you can recover adequately over the long term. I'd cut down to one session a week and add in more work slowly only if you are still seeing consistent strength gains. (if you don't want consistent strength gains, on the other hand - dump stronglifts!).  Always remember that strength gains and conditioning gains are mutually opposed. Improving both at once is a slow process and many people get the balance wrong and end up not making decent progress in either. The program you have chosen is designed around strength ONLY by experienced pros - i'd stick to it as written for at least a couple of months before dicking with it.

If it's not too much to ask, could you maybe hit me up with a workout program for after I plateau?  I'd like something that an experienced person recommends so I'm not wasting my time with shit that doesn't work.  Thanks for all the info!

And what would you recommend for my diet if I'm not gaining weight and I'm actually happy with the weight I'm at.  I'm just looking to tone up really.

archie4208

« Reply #263 on: January 22, 2010, 11:18:30 AM »
Stepped on the scales this morning.  177 :rock

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #264 on: January 22, 2010, 11:23:37 AM »
:rock

Good job!

I'm heading to the gym tonight and I'm dropping the leg press.  I'm going to add some weight to the squats.  150 has been light as hell so far.  So I'm thinking at least another 20 or 30 pounds.

Should I stop stacking so much on my bench press?  Maybe just do the warm up and stop stacking down afterward?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #265 on: January 22, 2010, 11:35:56 AM »
mups - I still haven't found anything better: http://www.crossfit.com/

If you have some specific goals, like wanting to run a fast mile, or bench press 300lbs, there are of course specialized routines that will get you there faster than Crossfit. But for the vast majority that don't have any task-oriented goal and just want to be generally stronger/fitter/faster/look better/feel better, Crossfit is the easy, hands-down, tried-and-tested, never-been-bested answer. And it's free. The only reason I don't just say "go to crossfit.com and read" in every post in these threads is because people would just tune it out or write me off as a single-minded fanatic.

Diet - it all depends on your level of commitment, really. You're making progress as it is, so there may be no need to make drastic changes if you're generally happy. Think of it like the defcon nuclear warnings. Willco is at defcon 4, so I'm advocating a hardcore no-simple-carbs, nothing-but-clean-food, balanced macronutrient ratio, calorie controlled diet. In other words, it's time to pull out all the stops. You may not even be at defcon 1, so if I tell you to do the same thing, you'll likely go nuts and say balls to that after a week or two, and maybe end up worse than you were originally.

The same goes for exercise, of course. Crossfit may well be too much. It's too much for me too, a lot of the time! I can tell you how to scale it back to something manageable but it's very hard to do that for someone else without seeing them work out and getting a feel for their capacities. If you continue with what you're doing, and tell me when you plateau, and how you're performing then, I'll have some idea about your capacity and what's safe and effective to prescribe.

(If I sound a bit like a doctor here...I should. No doctor would prescribe a course of treatment over the internet without an awful lot of data. Fitness routines and diet regimes ARE courses of treatment and I don't even have a medical degree! So 1) I have to be careful what I say and 2) people have to be skeptical and think/study for themselves before acting on it) )

vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #266 on: January 22, 2010, 11:39:30 AM »

Good job!

I'm heading to the gym tonight and I'm dropping the leg press.  I'm going to add some weight to the squats.  150 has been light as hell so far.  So I'm thinking at least another 20 or 30 pounds.

Should I stop stacking so much on my bench press?  Maybe just do the warm up and stop stacking down afterward?

quick answer on the squats: there's no point in doing more than 5 reps. Squats need to be as heavy as you can manage, 3 reps or 5 reps per set being optimal. DO NOT jump up 20 or 30lbs at a time. You only get one back and one pair of knees - and you're not going to be setting any world squatting records tomorrow anyway. Do it 5lbs at a time, and if at all possible, get someone who knows what they're doing to watch you as the weight climbs. Your form WILL get worse and worse as the weight rises. What you think is safe form at 150lbs may fuck you up at 200lbs.
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #267 on: January 22, 2010, 11:48:32 AM »
Awesome!  Thanks for all the info.

I've looked into crossfit before when i saw you post about it here a while back.  I guess I'll plateau with this and when I stop seeing gains I'll come back to you and if you'd be so kind to help me with the millions of crossfit questions i'm sure to have, that will be awesome.  Right now I'm seeing good gains.  With bench press I'm usually averaging to be able to do an extra rep or two each workout.  So I've been adding 5 pounds every few days. 

Thanks for the squats info too.  I'll add on 5 every workout I guess and when I see my form breaking down I'll either back down some or hold it there until I can get my form down at that weight.  There are usually enough guys at the gym who aren't afraid to let you know when you're doing something wrong or give you their opinion (without being assholes, which is awesome).  The first time I did squats, I just asked another guy if he could give me some pointers and he helped me out.  So I'll do that too as I move up in weight.

Should I start throwing in assisted pullups/chinups and lowering the assistance slowly?  I can only do like one pullup (on a good day) at this point.  Two months ago I wasn't able to do any so i guess that's some progress.  I'm hoping to be able to get up to like 5 so I can make it a regular part of my routine.  But I thought that maybe with the assisted pullups I can quicken that up?

duckman2000

« Reply #268 on: January 22, 2010, 01:00:26 PM »
Free range stuff isn't too expensive at some farmer's market in the States.  Can't speak for Japan, obviously, where farmland is at a premium.

Like everything else in the States, it's a matter of learning how to navigate through market without getting lured away by the 5-pound perfect mutant tomato or the reddest beef you've ever seen. The amount of food items, 100 different brands of the same basic product and whole aisles of snack food, is still bewildering to me, even after living here for the past 10 years. Back home and in just about every other place I've lived, you get a smaller brand selection, and the control is generally much stricter, so it's very easy to get lost in an American supermarket. But the other side of the coin is that there is also a vast selection of good foods, if you know where to look.

Didn't mean to derail this, it's just constantly shocking to me to walk into a store and be greeted by an entire aisle dedicated to various forms of snack foods, with the next aisle over being dedicated to juices and soda.

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #269 on: January 22, 2010, 02:09:33 PM »
American supermarkets are monstrosities-literally entire aisles full of cheap things that really shouldn't be eaten by people.  :-\

I get good meat (  :hump ) at the local farmer's market weekly. Supplemented by the local fishmonger, getting decent meat isn't too hard, but I do live in a urban (not really suburban) area with a lot of commerce around me. The further away you get from high population density the harder it gets IMO.
hex

duckman2000

« Reply #270 on: January 22, 2010, 02:14:22 PM »
Yeah, for real. Around where the inlaws live, all they have is a Walmart (and various fast food and donut joints), and people shop based on maximum flavor on the dollar as opposed to nutritional value. Unsurprisingly, the people in the area are fat.

archie4208

« Reply #271 on: January 22, 2010, 02:21:36 PM »
Frozen chicken breasts and canned tuna. :rock

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #272 on: January 22, 2010, 02:22:46 PM »
carnicerias :rock

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #273 on: January 22, 2010, 02:29:09 PM »
Red meat - delicious as it may be, it's hard to actively recommend it on health grounds unless we're talking about the expensive free-range stuff. The fat in most red meat is filled with all the nasty growth hormones and pesticides and shit. You should really be slicing that stuff off (which is a crime but that's our modern food production system for you).
The only really good to increase protein intake is just by eating nuts or any other vegetable with high protein since he won't need more than 100g a day.  Even if it's a free range grazing cow, the red meat will still have a lot of fat and won't really be a great source of everyday nutrition.

If I was only looking at nutrition, I wouldn't avoid something because of pesticides and hormones.  Hormones do affect animal behavior/welfare but it's laughable that people get afraid of pesticides.

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #274 on: January 22, 2010, 02:32:12 PM »
Frozen chicken breasts

a true modern marvel. So easy to prepare, so low in caloires, so high in protein, and so very delicious. I can't remember the last time I didn't have a bag of them in my freezer.
hex

duckman2000

« Reply #275 on: January 22, 2010, 02:37:59 PM »
I think it's been suggested in this thread before, but

:bow Greek Yogurt :bow2

If I was only looking at nutrition, I wouldn't avoid something because of pesticides and hormones.  Hormones do affect animal behavior/welfare but it's laughable that people get afraid of pesticides.

Given that you're wrong pretty much all the time about pretty much everything, I'll be extra careful from here on.  :omg

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #276 on: January 22, 2010, 02:56:20 PM »
Given that you're wrong pretty much all the time about pretty much everything, I'll be extra careful from here on.  :omg
I only regurgitate scientific information from other scientists when I talk about nutrition.  pesticides can't have any danger and for hormones, there's some debate about if it's possible but there's nothing to suggest that it's a real danger for human health.  I would personally avoid anything with hormones (for animal welfare) and antibiotics (for bacterial resistance) though.  I wasn't sure if cormac was just saying general facts about free-range cow meat or if he was being serious.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #277 on: January 22, 2010, 05:54:53 PM »
I live in Iowa so access to organic stuff is pretty easy (even if we're surrounded by shit from Monsanto) without being too expensive.  There's always a meat locker in a small town that carries grass fed free range beef for $1-2 a pound more than the other stuff.  Even better would be to buy a quarter of a cow with others.

My parents live in the country so we grow our own vegetables and fruit as well.
🍆🍆

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #278 on: January 22, 2010, 06:49:41 PM »
The only really good to increase protein intake is just by eating nuts or any other vegetable with high protein since he won't need more than 100g a day.  Even if it's a free range grazing cow, the red meat will still have a lot of fat and won't really be a great source of everyday nutrition.

1) Nuts aren't a vegetable
2) Nuts are mostly fat, not protein
3) Good luck finding other vegetables that are high in protein - all I can think of are legumes, i.e. beans, which have their own issues.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #279 on: January 22, 2010, 06:55:05 PM »
mups - pull-ups are awesome, everyone needs pull-ups, everyone always needs MORE pull-ups, get started on them as soon as possible! Assisted is a great way to start.

If you add in pull-ups (with palms facing forward), you can toss out bicep curls btw.
vjj

cool breeze

« Reply #280 on: January 22, 2010, 07:07:24 PM »
pull-ups are awesome.  Since asking about them a week or two ago, the amount I can do is quite a bit higher.  The worst part about stuff like that is wondering why you didn't start sooner.

as for the whole food thing, yeah, a lot of food that is good for you also tastes really good.  The only foods (outside of sweets) that I'd want more often but they seem unhealthy are potato pierogi and gnocchi.  Both are also my two of my favorite foods.

duckman2000

« Reply #281 on: January 22, 2010, 07:29:18 PM »
Then: Deadlift 310 x4 (thought my head was going to pop during the 4th, and I have reason to worry about that) :rock
Now: Scrambled eggs with oven roasted turkey breast and peppers :rock

Here's something interesting, or at least I find it interesting. I mentioned earlier that I had screwed up my shoulder from a squat session, and I was going to avoid the lifting today, but after the lift the pain is gone. I hope it's not going to hit me with a vengeance later on, but for now I'm a bit, uh, surprised.

Swaggaz, pull-ups are sort of a confidence thing. I absolutely hated myself for sucking so bad at them, but as soon as I could get a couple going I felt like the king of the world. Or at the very least like the lifter of my own barnacle self. :rock

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #282 on: January 22, 2010, 08:59:13 PM »
I live in Iowa so access to organic stuff is pretty easy (even if we're surrounded by shit from Monsanto) without being too expensive.  There's always a meat locker in a small town that carries grass fed free range beef for $1-2 a pound more than the other stuff.  Even better would be to buy a quarter of a cow with others.
My parents live in the country so we grow our own vegetables and fruit as well.
so you would actually buy a quarter of a cow?  how long does that last and what's the difference versus grain-fed?

1) Nuts aren't a vegetable
2) Nuts are mostly fat, not protein
3) Good luck finding other vegetables that are high in protein - all I can think of are legumes, i.e. beans, which have their own issues.
yeah, you're right.  Technically, cucumbers and corn wouldn't be considered vegetables either if you want to be technical.  regardless, fat isn't usually too big of a deal if it's not saturated fats.  red meat obviously has a lot of saturated fats so while it tastes a lot better than almonds/beans, it should still only be eaten occasionally.

« Reply #283 on: January 22, 2010, 09:12:40 PM »
My wife and I went in a on a cow with two other couples, so we've got a third of a cow in our freezer. We don't eat red meat very much, so it's gonna last us a long time.
野球

duckman2000

« Reply #284 on: January 22, 2010, 09:14:38 PM »
My parents buy shares in moose after the hunting season. Now that's good meat.

« Reply #285 on: January 22, 2010, 09:24:38 PM »
Moose is awesome, but my wife doesn't like wild game.
野球

duckman2000

« Reply #286 on: January 22, 2010, 09:35:57 PM »
What

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #287 on: January 22, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
Moose is awesome, but my wife doesn't like wild game.

... but you said your wife loves wild games ???
PSP

« Reply #288 on: January 22, 2010, 11:11:01 PM »
:lol
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #289 on: January 23, 2010, 01:47:14 AM »

Good job!

quick answer on the squats: there's no point in doing more than 5 reps. Squats need to be as heavy as you can manage, 3 reps or 5 reps per set being optimal. DO NOT jump up 20 or 30lbs at a time. You only get one back and one pair of knees - and you're not going to be setting any world squatting records tomorrow anyway. Do it 5lbs at a time, and if at all possible, get someone who knows what they're doing to watch you as the weight climbs. Your form WILL get worse and worse as the weight rises. What you think is safe form at 150lbs may fuck you up at 200lbs.

Every time I see someone talk about overdoing squats, I worry they're going to full-on rectal prolapse.

Rman

« Reply #290 on: January 23, 2010, 10:59:31 AM »
Cormac, do you have any tips on improving metcon performance?  I feel like I'm always going to die after metcon type workouts.  That's definitely my weak link.  I swam in college and was a terrible sprinter.  I was best in the middle and long distance events, so I've always had trouble with these types of workouts.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #291 on: January 23, 2010, 11:54:50 AM »
Feeling like you're going to die is normal, and doesn't help determine whether you're improving or not  ;)

Do you time the workouts? (where applicable). Are the times going down fairly consistently? If so, you're improving. If you're not improving, there are many factors that could be holding you back. To be honest, it's more likely that you'll improve by fixing something that you're doing wrong, or not doing at all, rather than me giving you some magical tips. The laundry list of things that could be holding you back goes something like:

1) motivation
2) injury
3) overtraining
4) undertraining
5) technique
6) poor recovery (sleep & diet - I'm guessing you're ahead of the curve here!)
7) insufficient variation (in type of exercises, and in time and modal domains - I suspect this could be an issue, since you mostly pick your own workouts, and have clearly defined areas of specialization)

If you're unhappy with your current results, identify which of these is your weakest, work on it, and metcon will improve. Attacking the weakness yields far greater gains than working on your strengths.

Now, if all you're asking is "what are some killer metcon workouts?", I can certainly give you a list, like we did before. But it wouldn't be of much use without more data. I could tell you to try running 400m x4 with a 2 min break in-between, for example, and you could tell me that you do that twice a week but your times have been flat for 3 months. So maybe you need some "run 100m x10"-style workouts, or to be incorporating some Olympic lifting into your metcon for explosiveness. Or it could be that your weak point is actually lack of strength.
vjj

Rman

« Reply #292 on: January 23, 2010, 12:00:31 PM »
It's mostly dizziness, which I've read can be the result lack of sufficient calories. 

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #293 on: January 23, 2010, 05:49:38 PM »
I'm gonna lay off the butterflies for a couple of sessions.  my shoulder still hurts

i added in the pullups today.  goddamn that shit worked my biceps good.  should I just do point of failure on one level of assistance?  or should I change the assistance as needed to meet a certain number of reps?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #294 on: January 23, 2010, 08:13:28 PM »
I'm gonna lay off the butterflies for a couple of sessions.  my shoulder still hurts

i added in the pullups today.  goddamn that shit worked my biceps good.  should I just do point of failure on one level of assistance?  or should I change the assistance as needed to meet a certain number of reps?

Do both! People really need to do anything and everything to get their pull-ups up. Lots of reps with assistance, as many as you can without! Eventually, you'll need to ADD weight sometimes, i.e. hold a dumbell or something between your feet when you do them.

There is no "wrong" answer. I make them part of my warm-up, so even when I'm not doing them in the actual workout, I'm getting a certain number in.

I have no idea what butterflies are, but if it involves sitting on a bench or standing stock still while waving your arms around, dump it.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #295 on: January 23, 2010, 08:17:42 PM »
It's mostly dizziness, which I've read can be the result lack of sufficient calories. 

Dizziness is par for the course, assuming sufficient intensity. As your heart strengthens, your ability to pump more blood (and oxygen) to the brain should increase, easing the dizziness. Then again, you should also be ramping the intensity proportionately.

Also, remember to breathe! Especially if you're using weights in the metcon. Try to pick a spot in each rep to breathe deeply rather than just gasping randomly. Harder to do than say, of course.
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #296 on: January 23, 2010, 08:24:48 PM »
So my kid and my dog worked together to destroy the My Fitness Coach game we had for the Wii, which was what I was using for all of my exercise instruction. I'm actually happy about it though, because somebody on here mentioned SparkPeople.com and I've been using it ever since.  The site is pretty awesome.

WTF

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #297 on: January 23, 2010, 10:59:10 PM »
cool.  Thanks cormac!  what would you recommend for chest then?  i do bench.  should i throw in incline or what?  thanks!

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #298 on: January 24, 2010, 03:40:56 AM »
In case you haven't got the message yet, I don't recommend doing any exercises for specific body parts. The usefulness of benching is highly overrated. It's by no means a bad exercise but everyone seems to want to do it all the time. I don't get it. People who can't do 10 solid push-ups will fuck around on the bench for half an hour, wasting their time and everyone else's (people who might actually want to lift some weight with that barbell, for example).

Anyway, if you're doing it and you like it, that's fine. Push-ups are essential, and if you need more of a challenge, buy some rings and do dips on them. Even regular dips are a huge challenge for most people, even ones who can bench all day. (which sort of shows you how pointless a big bench is).
vjj

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #299 on: January 24, 2010, 09:27:49 AM »
Yeah dips are pretty good.  For a while, every week I'd alternate between benching and dipping.
🍆🍆