Author Topic: The Bore Mecha Gaming Thread: Gundam, Super Robot Wars, Armored Core and More!  (Read 204899 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: The Bore Mecha Gaming Thread: Gundam, Super Robot Wars, Armored Core and More!
« Reply #1080 on: November 28, 2017, 02:27:59 PM »
lyteedge2
ど助平

Beezy

Re: The Bore Mecha Gaming Thread: Gundam, Super Robot Wars, Armored Core and More!
« Reply #1081 on: November 29, 2017, 10:26:49 PM »
Anyone getting on tonight?

« Reply #1082 on: November 30, 2017, 12:59:16 PM »
SRWV is ovah!!

And then I remembered that my PS+ subscription expired. I rarely play online and never bother with the free games. Sorry, duder.

Guess it's on to Moon Dwellers.
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1083 on: November 30, 2017, 11:45:29 PM »
I should have some free time this weekend for some Gundam.  Need to check out the latest DLC...
ど助平

Beezy

« Reply #1084 on: December 01, 2017, 12:10:28 AM »
I just bought Barbatos Lupus, Virtue, and G-Self Perfect Pack. This type of DLC system is dangerous. Put some Build Fighters Gundams in and I'm buying them all. :doge

Bebpo

« Reply #1085 on: December 01, 2017, 12:22:23 AM »
It's the opposite for me, there's so many DLC units to choose from and they're all expensive, so I can't choose and buy nothing :(

They should've done it like SFV in season 1 pass, season 2 pass, etc...

Beezy

« Reply #1086 on: December 01, 2017, 12:39:01 AM »
I just went for the units I know/like from the shows. I also checked this guy's dlc reviews first to make sure that they're at least decent to use in game:

Bebpo

« Reply #1087 on: December 01, 2017, 12:49:09 AM »
Yeah, I got Lupus as a pre-order bonus. Otherwise would have definitely paid for him since he's the most recent lead Gundam I like. If they ever put Lupus Rex in I'll buy that. I'm tempted to buy Gundam AGE1 just because I like playing as main gundams and I like how AGE1 has a ton of forms and moves.

Kinda hope they'll do a complete edition/sequel at some point that will have all the DLC.

« Reply #1088 on: December 01, 2017, 10:20:25 AM »
I grabbed Pale Rider and AGE-1.
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1089 on: December 01, 2017, 05:06:57 PM »
I want that dancing Zaku and the Napoleon and Sailor Moon G-Gundams, but they're not in, right?   :'(

ど助平

« Reply #1090 on: December 01, 2017, 05:55:23 PM »
I want that dancing Zaku and the Napoleon and Sailor Moon G-Gundams, but they're not in, right?   :'(

No Meer's Zaku or Nobel Gundam.
野球

Beezy

« Reply #1091 on: December 01, 2017, 09:00:12 PM »
No G-Gundam mechs at all. :(

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #1092 on: December 01, 2017, 10:16:02 PM »
GOAT series

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1093 on: December 02, 2017, 12:04:02 AM »
I really need to sit down and watch that series one day.  I've never seen it...I just love the mecha designs.  "Optimus Prime is a fish!  Optimus Prime is Napoleon!  Optimus Prime is Russian, comrade!"  etc etc
ど助平

Beezy

« Reply #1094 on: December 02, 2017, 11:12:52 AM »
Bought a cheap Qanba Drone arcade stick on sale ($48) just for this game. Dashing around and to the ground to refill your boost is so much easier to do than on a pad. Also tried the two 400 level 0083 Stardust Memory gundams and they're both as overpowering as they should be. :aah

« Reply #1095 on: December 05, 2017, 12:57:27 PM »
Moon Dwellers Episode 5... FUCK YOU GAME.

Lower all enemies to HP below 2,000 but don't destroy any of them.
野球

« Reply #1096 on: December 11, 2017, 03:03:13 AM »

New SRW announcement in a few hours...
野球

« Reply #1097 on: December 11, 2017, 07:31:54 AM »

SUPER ROBOT WARS X
PS4/PSVITA
March 29, 2018

Mazinger Z
Dunbine
Cross Ange
CCA
Daitarn 3
Gundam F91
Geass
Gundam ZZ
Shin Mazinger Zero
Zeta Gundam
Gurren Lagann
Mightgaine
Crossbone Gundam
Gundam Wing Endless Waltz
New Story of Dunbine
Beltorchika’s Children
Mazinkaizer
G Reco
Buddy Complex
Nadia
Wataru
Cybuster
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 07:42:23 AM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #1098 on: December 11, 2017, 12:13:08 PM »
Idk man, the re-use lineup is way too strong in this one. Feels like a SRW L.

Only new series I care about is G Reco. Nadia had mechs? I don’t even remember.  Will wait for pv.

Bebpo

« Reply #1099 on: December 11, 2017, 12:29:56 PM »
Ok, watched the trailer. Yeah, I'm gonna pass. V was too recent, and this is too much the same. While it'd be cool to play through G Reco's story, the rest isn't very interesting to me since it's all been decently. Was hoping for a break after V and all new sprites.

And where the fuck is 3rd OGs

« Reply #1100 on: December 11, 2017, 01:20:21 PM »
Sounds like it's gonna be set in a crazy fantasy realm, and Dunbine in there should make it feel quite different from V.

[shrug]
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Border Break finally gets a home release nine years after coming out in arcades.

Sega is bringing its 2009-launched robot action arcade game series Border Break to PlayStation 4, the company announced during its Border Break New Project Presentation Held in Japan today. Simply titled Border Break, it will launch in Japan as a free-to-play download title with item-based micro-transactions in 2018. A physical version with extra bonuses will also be released. An open beta, playable even without a PlayStation Plus subscription, will be held in February.

Border Break for PlayStation 4 will feature 10-versus-10 high-speed robot battles across a wide variety of maps. It will support both the DualShock 4 controller and mouse as control methods. Players will be able to customize their battle robot to their liking with every possible part. There are four types of weapons available:

Assault Weapons – Expand the front lines with high mobility.
    Heavy Fire Weapons – Pulverize enemies with overwhelming fire power.
    Raid Weapons – Overthrow the battlefield in response to any situations.
    Support Weapons – Supports allies from behind the scenes with search and repair operations.

The following modes will be playable:

Story Mode – Expands the world of Border Break.
        Main Characters
            Hati (voiced by Reina Ueda) – The protagonist burning with revenge.
            Mikoto (voiced by Rie Takahashi) – The operator that supports the team.
            Managar (voiced by Shunsuke Takeuchi) – The powerful ace that blocks your way.
            Other unique characters will appear in large numbers. Popular illustrators are also participating in their creation.
    Beginner Match – Player-versus-CPU battle.
    Casual Match – Casual player-versus-player battles without rank changes.
    Ranked Match – Player-versus-player matches with rank changes based on the outcome and activity in battle.

Read more at https://gematsu.com/2018/01/free-play-border-break-announced-ps4#PpUvu5jPW0S1X8eq.99
ど助平

BORDER FUCKING BREAK!!!!!

FINALLY!!

I played this game once while in Japan in 2014 and loved it, but had pretty much accepted the fact that it would never get a home release.

Oh man.
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
BTW, has anyone tried the upcoming Virtual-On/Railgun game-thing?  There's demos out on PS4 and Vita that I forgot all about.
ど助平

I've been meaning to download the demo. I'll do that today.
野球

Gundam Breaker 4 for PS4. Sounds like Europe and North America will be getting this one, too.

Was hoping for something more like UC 0081 or Gundam Unicorn, but I'll take it.
野球

eleuin

• perennial loser
Cool, was thinking of importing 3 Break Edition soon but might as well wait now

DLC prices in the future are going to be nuts but using UE4 is nice at least

Bebpo

Gundam Breaker 4 for PS4. Sounds like Europe and North America will be getting this one, too.

Was hoping for something more like UC 0081 or Gundam Unicorn, but I'll take it.

Skipped 3, will grab 4.

Gundam Breaker 3 was fun, but got repetitive after a while.

Just give me another UC-based game with a real storyline and some space battles.

Actually, I thought the storyline in GB2 was better than 3. [shrug]
野球

Bebpo

Storyline? I just want more gunpla builds! There weren't that many new ones in 3 (pre-dlc) from 2 which is why I skipped 3. But from 2->4 there should be enough new ones to justify the same old same old grind & build.

I normally make a gunpla in Breaker and then never change it. [shrug]

I also want some space missions. Those were awesome in Unicorn and Side Stories.
野球

Bebpo

Yeah, a lot of people do that with Armored Core too! I like continually messing with my builds.

Anyhow, turned on Gundam Versus for the first time in a while last night to see what DLC is new and so.much.dlc. I feel like the current roster with AEGIS and Gundam AGE1/2/bad guy is more what the launch roster should have been. Still surprised there's no Iron-Blood Orphans S2 units outside Lupus. Definitely feels like they're still holding back for some sort of either a sequel or a Season 2 kinda thing.

Also I did the Ultimate Battle mode and got a bonus stage where I played as Aegis for like 60 or 90 seconds for free. Man that unit is awful. Just claw mode all the time. Would rather have Justice lol

BTW, has anyone tried the upcoming Virtual-On/Railgun game-thing?  There's demos out on PS4 and Vita that I forgot all about.

I finally tried out the demo. Maybe it's due to 15+ years of playing the Gundam Versus series, but Virtual-On is now boring and slow and not very much fun.
野球

Beezy

BURNING GUNDAM :rejoice

Bebpo

Damnit, you know they are making a killing off the DLC in this. Gonna end up being GUNDAM VERSUS YOUR WALLET $600 EDITION pretty soon  :'(

I like these units, but can't justify buying all of them.

I never liked the G units in previous Versus games, so I'm totally indifferent.
野球

Rahxephon91

God Gundam is super fun to combo cancel with in previous games.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1117 on: February 08, 2018, 09:23:27 AM »
Square is releasing a new arcade mecha battle game:

Starwing Paradox, the new project by Evangelion character designer Yoshiyuki Sadamoto is getting an arcade game that mixes MOBA elements with high-speed mecha action.

The game runs an 8v8 system where the objective is to take over the enemy base and defeat the “Ae Grande,” a powerful enemy that guards the core. The first team to do so first is the winner. The game has some MOBA elements as far as rules go, but the gameplay is a lot different than what you’d expect from one, with flashy battles with mechas.
ど助平

« Reply #1118 on: February 08, 2018, 10:50:13 AM »
Sounds like a combination of Border Break and Gundam Versus (it's developed by the former Gundam Versus team).
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1119 on: February 10, 2018, 11:35:32 AM »
Speaking of which...

Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs. 2 announced for arcades
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #1120 on: February 10, 2018, 12:34:20 PM »
Hmmmmmmmm, wonder how much they are going to keep the Extreme and Versus line separate. 2018/2019 will be interesting for Gundam fighters.

« Reply #1121 on: February 12, 2018, 06:44:00 PM »
Hmmmmmmmm, wonder how much they are going to keep the Extreme and Versus line separate. 2018/2019 will be interesting for Gundam fighters.

I'm guessing they're gonna stay separate.
野球

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Gideon Zhi just released 5 translations for "The Great Battle" series on SNES.

I need to test if they work on the SNES Classic after work

https://twitter.com/GideonZhi/status/971404587373506560
fat

Bebpo

New SRW is out! Mr. Gundam did you pick it up?

I got X yesterday and did the first few stages. The fantasy magic land srw is fun. It's like doing a licensed Masou Kishin/Lord of Elemental SRW. The early stuff with Wataru is really silly fun samurai Super Robot stuff. It should go well with Gurren Lagann S1 plot. I like the OG mech so far. I normally go with the guy (especially because usually guy MC gets super robot and girl gets real robot) but the guy's character design sucks in this one so I'm going with the female MC. I need to restart as the guy to see if he gets a different mech (I assume he does).

Anyhow it's interesting that the game also has 3 difficulty modes this time. Beginners mode, Normal/Hard mode (traditional SRW), and Expert mode. Last year I thought SRW V was a pretty good SRW entry but it was ridiculously easy, even in hard mode, so I'm tempted to run expert mode, but some of the SRW truly hard games like A portable and stuff are no fun because they're just frustrating save/reload all the time. So gonna see how it goes with standard SRW hard mode and decide later whether to switch to expert.

I'm probably gonna play X pretty slow for a bit because I want to finish G Reco in anime form before seeing the story spoiled in this game.

New SRW is out! Mr. Gundam did you pick it up?

Waiting for the English version later this month. Crazy that that Bandai Namco SEA is doing a steelbook for preorders.

I got X yesterday and did the first few stages. The fantasy magic land srw is fun. It's like doing a licensed Masou Kishin/Lord of Elemental SRW. The early stuff with Wataru is really silly fun samurai Super Robot stuff. It should go well with Gurren Lagann S1 plot. I like the OG mech so far. I normally go with the guy (especially because usually guy MC gets super robot and girl gets real robot) but the guy's character design sucks in this one so I'm going with the female MC. I need to restart as the guy to see if he gets a different mech (I assume he does).

Anyhow it's interesting that the game also has 3 difficulty modes this time. Beginners mode, Normal/Hard mode (traditional SRW), and Expert mode. Last year I thought SRW V was a pretty good SRW entry but it was ridiculously easy, even in hard mode, so I'm tempted to run expert mode, but some of the SRW truly hard games like A portable and stuff are no fun because they're just frustrating save/reload all the time. So gonna see how it goes with standard SRW hard mode and decide later whether to switch to expert.

I'm probably gonna play X pretty slow for a bit because I want to finish G Reco in anime form before seeing the story spoiled in this game.

Are there different trophies for completing the game on different difficulty levels?
野球

Bebpo

Yeah, makes sense to wait for the English version. Not sure about the trophies. Since you can change difficulty at any time mid-game I'd imagine you could just change right at the end if there were.

One thing that is really interesting is that in expert mode there are no SR point requirements. Just beating the map gets you the SR point. This is weird and makes little sense because already on normal/hard path with normal SR requirements I've had tough frustrating save/reload/save/reload/save/reload bullshit to get the SR point. 90% of the time all the difficulty in the game is getting the SR point so getting rid of the SR points sorta makes Expert mode easier than Normal/Hard? Very odd.

Also on the Scenario chart the guy MC gets an entirely separate branch than the girl MC from the first few stages I blew past to check him out. But the maps are exactly the same? So unless he gets unique maps later on, that's kinda weird.

I'm liking the game, Dunbine's BGM sounds fucking amazing! All jazzy and sexy in this rendition. I'm glad I'm working through the G Reco anime because the game doesn't start at ep1 but at ~ep5/6 of the show. Feels like the only thing starting from ep1 is Wataru which is kinda the lead show for X. The G Reco animations so far are ok, they're really short.

Also I'm kinda wondering from the world lore setup for X if Gurren Lagann is going to start post-time skip. All the trailers only had S2 stuff... which kinda sucks because S1 is my favorite part of the show.

Beezy

I saw ads and vids for this while I was in Japan. I didn't know an English version was coming out. I don't need to know anything from the previous games, right?

I saw ads and vids for this while I was in Japan. I didn't know an English version was coming out. I don't need to know anything from the previous games, right?

You're good, it's a standalone game. The previous PS4 game, Super Robot Wars V (also a standalone title), was also localized in English for Southeast Asia.

野球

Took me nearly two years but I finally got around to beating Gundam Breaker 3. Whoops.
野球

Bebpo

X sold less than V (140k first week compared to 180k first week), but not too surprising given both the yearly decline of SRW and that honestly X's lineup is weaker than V for big ticket marketable items (Yamato & Eva -> Nadia and GL). I'm guessing the Asia sales will help a lot as they seemed to do with V (hence the quicker English version this time and steelbook and stuff).

I'm about 10 stages into V and it's enjoyable but yeah, the lineup and storylines are a bit zzz. The main backing plots seem to be Wataru + Buddy Complex, which is a lot less interesting than Yamato 2199's plot and Cross Ange (which is still here but thankfully blowing through quickly). I'm wondering when I get the Nadia submarine if it'll be as OP'd as the Yamato was. Kinda doubt it. Yamato is an anime powerhouse ship.

When it comes to Cross Ange vs. Buddy Complex, both are kinda ehhh (Buddy Complex mech designs are a lot worse though). I really wish Linebarrels (Manga) hadn't been relegated to a portable entry. It's probably the most interesting licensed real robot plotline in a SRW in the last decade plus it has badass mechs. Tbh, sometimes seem to have way more interesting shows. Like why do we get post-story Dunbine here but no HD Wings of Rean?

and don't forget Demonbane. More interesting Super Robo than we're getting in these HD ones:

Next licensed game lineup will be interesting. Should revolve around S1 Iron Blood Orphans and have more serious entries.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 02:53:54 PM by Bebpo »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Cross Ange is in this game?  Boobs everywhere?  :doge
ど助平

Bebpo

Cross Ange is in this game?  Boobs everywhere?  :doge

Was in last game in detail. Was like 30% of the storyline. Wasn't too fanservice-y unlike the anime apparently. Cross Ange in X is like "short summary version" instead because no one wants to go through every ep again a year later.

God there was so much fucking Cross Ange in V. Good thing I had Yamato and Crossbone to help ignore it.
野球

Bebpo

I'm still pretty early on in SRW X, ~map 12/50, but I'm getting the feeling this game is not big on covering many anime storylines outside Wataru (super) and Buddy Complex (real). Lotta series are joining mid-series/post-series and even G-Reco seems like they're ignoring the plotline completely and just taking the characters/units and making them fight each other.

Like it feels like Wataru's story is "big bad guy summons villians to his side to fight as his army against Wataru and the heroes" so you're going through Wataru plotline while just fighting characters from the other series with no plot attached. 

Not sure if this is just like the first part of the game and then it'll change, or if they're just not bothering covering shows this time. I'm a little disappointed at G-Reco not getting the actual plotline to playthrough since this is its first entry and I can't think of any other mainline Gundam that didn't get its plotline covered in the first entry in SRW. Even AGE3 got its plot in detail in BX.

Bebpo

Hmmm, a little further in SRW X and feeling like this game has a lot less budget than V did last year. Whereas V didn't have a huge amount of new series, at least the stuff that was new like F91/Crossbone/Yamato/Mazinger Zero looked really good and cool new stuff. Cross-Ange/Might Gaine looked ok. Plus all the touch-ups for stuff like FMP were very nice.

V's new stuff feels really underwhelming. Wataru/Buddy Complex/Nadia look ok. G-Reco has like 3 moves and it looks like they're not even animating the cool looking upgrade backpacks (wtf!) I've already seen reflector & the pink missile pack one just be map sprites for story events. Plus Aida's mech has 2 moves at starts at its upgrade and Klim doesn't even start with the team (I'm assuming he'll be in the game eventually). Between that and not following any of G-Reco's story or sillyness, just feels like no-effort G-Reco so far. There's no completely new series so far that look Crossbone/F91/Yamato/Mazinger Zero level yet.

On the plus side the touch-ups for the series that get them look good. Gundam Wing crew all looks damn good here thanks to a lot of animation cleanup from Z3 where the EW animations were a huge step down from Z2 GW TV. Also the Zeta units are still getting updated every game because whoever is animating them is crazy, so the little touchups look super nice.

But idk, when the most exciting sprites in the game in first 1/3rd are the touch-ups of Endless Waltz units...eh, game is not so exciting. Also the storyline still is dropping every anime plotline for the most part and just being a bunch of fights with not much plot. I really think it's like Wataru + Buddy Complex + OG and that's it. Just feels kinda low effort instead of trying to ingrate all the various on-going plotlines. But doing that would require more sprites for enemies along the way and stuff so everything just feels budget kinda like how the Z3 games did but in a different way (at least animation isn't crap here).

Last year I thought V was a breath of fresh air for the franchise and the best licensed SRW game since Z2. X so far is back to so-so. Kinda hoping in the middle it'll pick up and start giving lots of upgrade attacks/mechs with animations and that it's just a real slow start for some reason.

That's a bummer, my copy should be shipping later this week. Does it feel like V with a different skin/storyline? I tried playing Moon Dwellers after beating V and the differences in battle system really threw me for a loop.
野球

Bebpo

Nah, feels like its own SRW, just not as fun/interesting/good as V. Like one thing I enjoyed about V despite being broken is that early on everyone had this support seishin that was like dash boost for another unit. No one has that so far in X..., was nice in V because it sped things up in the initial turns. In X I'm back to loading everyone into the battleship first turn, then moving the ship and then moving it again at the start of turn 2 and unloading everyone to get the distance to the enemy group in turn 2. Never been a fan of turn 1 in SRW, if you can't reach the enemies it's always a zzz turn.

I don't think it's a bad game so far, but just kinda bland. Definitely would recommend V over it. Plus V has good quality FMP and Lev w/good animation is an awesome unit.

Bebpo

I wonder which team did X. If it's the same team as V that would mean they made it in a year? Which seems impossible, so I wonder if it's a different smaller team. I'm still convinced the bulk of the main teams are working on 3rd OGs and the next big licensed game and that V/X are by smaller teams that previously did the handheld/3d entries.

Bebpo

Someone on the X team really like Code Geass. While it's post-story like almost everything in the game at least it does something with it, has a bunch of playable units and lots of nice new cut-ins. Plus the BGM sounds better than I remember the mix being in the previous games. Will definitely be using Geass units on my team.

X actually has a ton of legit-tier units and no squad system and low deploy counts are already hurting less than halfway in. I think for like first entry games in new trilogies, lack of squad is solid, but V/X are sorta the culmination of all the spritework since Z1 on PS2 and they could use at least a 2 person squad system.

The next big deal licensed SRW will definitely be interesting. If it's all 100% new sprites, it'll be the first one since Z1. I sorta expect a smaller roster throwback in that case like Z1 was. Which is fine since it means it'll actually cover the anime plotlines of basically every series in it and have lots of smaller support units and enemies that you don't get when there's 25+ series in one.

My copy still hasn't shipped.

Oh well.
野球