Author Topic: The Bore Mecha Gaming Thread: Gundam, Super Robot Wars, Armored Core and More!  (Read 201881 times)

Bebpo

Re: The Bore Mecha Gaming Thread: All Mecha, All The Time!
« Reply #960 on: March 16, 2015, 04:53:06 PM »
What is this gundam ps4 you guys keep mentioning?

The one that's been teased at TGS the last two years. Nothing more concrete than that.

Ok, so vaporware.  You've been in the gaming ring long enough to know all the placeholder names at system launch are nothing but names of franchises that "might" appear on the system someday.  Wake me up when we actually start getting some PS4 gundams.

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #961 on: March 16, 2015, 06:25:28 PM »
If you have a Vita, this is a great port:

(Image removed from quote.)

Oops, nm- saw that it works on all Vita's - ordered the physical copy :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 06:31:01 PM by MrAngryFace »
o_0

« Reply #962 on: March 16, 2015, 07:18:02 PM »
What is this gundam ps4 you guys keep mentioning?

The one that's been teased at TGS the last two years. Nothing more concrete than that.

Ok, so vaporware.  You've been in the gaming ring long enough to know all the placeholder names at system launch are nothing but names of franchises that "might" appear on the system someday.  Wake me up when we actually start getting some PS4 gundams.

Eh, I don't view it as vaporware. Updated trailer at TGS last year, not nebulous.
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #963 on: March 16, 2015, 08:49:38 PM »
Ah, I didn't know there was actually a teaser.  I stand corrected.  Hope it's decent!

They should release that Gundam pod arcade game when Morpheus hits for VR, would be sweet.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #964 on: March 16, 2015, 09:56:00 PM »
They should release that Gundam pod arcade game when Morpheus hits for VR, would be sweet.

:drool
ど助平

« Reply #965 on: March 16, 2015, 10:04:58 PM »
We've probably got a better chance of the Star Wars arcade game based on the Gundam pod system.
野球

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #966 on: March 19, 2015, 12:00:00 PM »
The Archangel super in shin gundam musou is fucking silly as hell (awesome)
o_0

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #967 on: March 29, 2015, 11:12:52 PM »
Does AirMech count as a mecha game?

I’ve been playing it as part of my inexplicable delve into F2P, it’s published by Ubisoft on 360, and the production values are quite high.

« Reply #968 on: March 30, 2015, 03:18:12 PM »

This week!

:rock

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'll be out of town all next week on Spring Break. Oh well.
[close]
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #969 on: March 30, 2015, 05:19:08 PM »
I know the feel, I was out at Coachella when Z3-1 came out.

I've been getting myself ready for Z3-2.  Finally got around to watching Unicorn 5-7 so the game doesn't spoil it for me.  Watched 5 on Saturday night and gonna watch 6 and maybe 7 tonight.  Double dipping on PS3/Vita so I can play it on the nice tv and then continue playing it on the toilet.  When a game is 150 hours+, you need to make use of all free time!

Does AirMech count as a mecha game?

I’ve been playing it as part of my inexplicable delve into F2P, it’s published by Ubisoft on 360, and the production values are quite high.

Yeah, Airmech is cool.  I've been meaning to get around to playing it, but haven't yet.  Really like the look of it.  Nice mechs!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #970 on: March 30, 2015, 06:29:54 PM »
AirMech sorta launched and then I never heard anything about it. No updates, no DLC, no mention of it anywhere else I'd seen. When it came out I had only done the tutorial and a few solo challenges, so I decided to try it some more before losing the chance to play if it were removed (also ref: World Series of Poker, Ascend: Hand of Kul), but then it turned out to be more engaging on replay, so I'm kinda into it now.

[close]
Oh, no! You'll be traveling and drinking excellent new beers instead of sitting at home and drinking excellent known beers! THE ANGUISH! ;)

« Reply #971 on: March 30, 2015, 11:42:24 PM »
AirMech sorta launched and then I never heard anything about it. No updates, no DLC, no mention of it anywhere else I'd seen. When it came out I had only done the tutorial and a few solo challenges, so I decided to try it some more before losing the chance to play if it were removed (also ref: World Series of Poker, Ascend: Hand of Kul), but then it turned out to be more engaging on replay, so I'm kinda into it now.

[close]
Oh, no! You'll be traveling and drinking excellent new beers instead of sitting at home and drinking excellent known beers! THE ANGUISH! ;)

Hey now, I never complained about not being home to play it...  ;)
野球

« Reply #972 on: April 20, 2015, 01:46:29 PM »
Ah, I didn't know there was actually a teaser.  I stand corrected.  Hope it's decent!

I don't know how I missed this article from March 31st.

http://gematsu.com/2015/03/gundam-ps4-announcement-coming-soon

Title of the PS4 game coming soon along with more specific details.
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #973 on: April 20, 2015, 03:00:39 PM »
Cool, hope it's sort of good?

How you liking Tengoku so far?

« Reply #974 on: April 20, 2015, 04:17:57 PM »
Cool, hope it's sort of good?

How you liking Tengoku so far?

Haven't touched it yet. Got distracted by the new shinyness of the PS4. I'll play through it this Summer.
野球

« Reply #975 on: April 30, 2015, 11:17:11 AM »
So that PS4 Gundam game they've been teasing for a couple years? PS3/PS4 F2P sequel to Battle Operation.

FUUUUCK.

:maf :maf :maf :maf :maf :maf :maf :maf
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 12:25:57 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

studyguy

« Reply #976 on: April 30, 2015, 12:47:22 PM »
Has from even discussed anything since AC 5?
I feel like they fucked themselves with 4 and 4:A in setting up some disingenuous expectations of the series for people who were introduced to it through that title alone. Maybe when they're done wanking it to their other Dark___ ventures they'll remember AC.
pause

« Reply #977 on: April 30, 2015, 01:35:21 PM »
Nothing about AC in a while.

I wish FROM would've done a follow up to Gundam Unicorn to finish the storyline.  :(
野球

studyguy

« Reply #978 on: April 30, 2015, 01:48:42 PM »
Still waiting on Sandlot to stop with their EDF fuckery and do another giant robot game.
They do it so well and yet haven't bothered since the PS2 era.
pause

Bebpo

« Reply #979 on: April 30, 2015, 02:38:40 PM »
So that PS4 Gundam game they've been teasing for a couple years? PS3/PS4 F2P sequel to Battle Operation.

FUUUUCK.

lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #980 on: May 01, 2015, 04:17:58 PM »

FUUUUCK.

Not going to try the beta?
ど助平

« Reply #981 on: May 01, 2015, 06:22:16 PM »

FUUUUCK.

Not going to try the beta?

Oh, I downloaded immediately. I've yet to play it since it just sits in matchmaking mode never finding anyone to play against. :lol
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #982 on: May 19, 2015, 09:08:45 PM »
New SRW announced for August on 3DS.  More SD Gundam, 1/3rd of Gundam AGE (wtf), Dunbine, Nadesico, Gaogaigar, Raijin-Oh, Giant Gorg, Gundam Unicorn, Shin Mazinger and some other stuff.  Looks solid and another good game to add to 2015 best gaming year list.

I'm still about halfway through Z3 Tengoku.  Stage 31/60.  Put the game on hold for the last couple of weeks while I played through Xenoblade X, but now that I'm almost done with that I'll be getting back to Tengoku and finishing it up over the next month or two. 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #983 on: June 04, 2015, 09:03:48 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #984 on: June 12, 2015, 01:03:27 PM »
The Assault Suits Leynos demo is up on JPSN for PS4. 
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #985 on: September 29, 2015, 01:54:15 PM »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech

Dream kickstarter here for me.  Combines my love for mechs/mecha/robots with my love for turn-based rpgs combined with my nostalgia of growing up on Mechwarrior games combined with my enjoyment of old-school rpg mechanics in the recent Shadowrun games.

I don't think they can make a game more aimed at me if they tried.

Only downside is 2017, unlike the Shadowrun Kickstarters which were <12 months since they had the engine up and running.  They're doing a whole new engine for this one so they need more time.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #986 on: February 18, 2016, 02:54:33 PM »

:gladbron
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #987 on: February 18, 2016, 02:56:29 PM »
I got a bit 'mecha' recently.  Picked up Assault Suits Leynos PS4, Gundam Extreme Vs. Force Vita (for 1900 yen new!  :lol), and Darius Burst Chronicle Vita (physical) while I was in Japan earlier this month.  Only played Darius though.   :doge
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #988 on: February 18, 2016, 04:12:47 PM »
That's gotta be the worst way to do subs ever, but hey it's better than no subs!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #989 on: April 03, 2016, 07:23:16 PM »
I was at the model shop the other day and found there's a Gundam videogame based on the plastic models. I'm guessing it's old news here but it seemed like synergistic marketing genius to me.

Bebpo

« Reply #990 on: April 03, 2016, 10:59:30 PM »
I was at the model shop the other day and found there's a Gundam videogame based on the plastic models. I'm guessing it's old news here but it seemed like synergistic marketing genius to me.

Gundam Breaker?  Yeah, it's like a loot game X armored core X musou game.  Now with the power of ps4 the gundams look even more plastic.

Shuri

« Reply #991 on: June 23, 2016, 08:11:52 PM »
Super Robot Wars OG Asian Edition (in english) is coming out in august, anyone importing? I just check NCSX and god, what happened to them? they used to be the place to import games during the psx/ps2 days, now they sell cheap merch and there are no ps4 games to import.

Bebpo

« Reply #992 on: June 23, 2016, 08:31:17 PM »
Ncsx is still active but has the worst website in the universe.  Your best bet is emailing them anything you want to order.

Tons of people on gaf are getting the Asia version in August.  I'm still getting the JP version next week, because I don't want to wait.

Bebpo

« Reply #993 on: June 30, 2016, 02:56:51 PM »

Got my JPN version of Supa Robo in today, English Asia version out August 5th.  I'll let you guys know if the game's any good. 

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #994 on: July 11, 2016, 03:56:10 PM »

Bebpo

« Reply #995 on: July 12, 2016, 02:43:10 AM »
Looked kind of neat like an indie Armored Core x ZoE hybrid.  Looked up the staff and saw it's all kids out of college doing their first game in Thailand.  Hey, good luck to them and hope it turns out well. 

Bebpo

« Reply #996 on: August 05, 2016, 02:15:08 AM »
Just in time for the English release of Super Robot Wars MD (already available on the Singapore PSN store:  http://imgur.com/a/OMda0)
...beat the game after probably 60+ hours.

It's a solid game.  It's not super epic since it only has 3 main plotlines (SRW GC, SRW J, and an original plotline tied to Compatible Kaiser) co-running through it compared to like 6-10 in bigger more mainline SRW games.  But they're fun plotlines, and there's a decent amount of units in them.  If you didn't play 2nd OGs (so basically the entire English reading world), every unit and animation is gonna be new to you so in that case there's a crazy amount of content.  If you did play 2nd OGs, there's a quality gaiden/expansion worth of new units.

All the SRW J units have crazy good animation.  Pretty much all the animations in this game are quality.  Huge improvement from Z3 and even slightly improved from 2nd OGs.  Some good BGMs too.

Gameplay is alright, stick on normal because hard mode is broken in this one.  A lot of the older units are pretty nerfed.  Some hinting towards whose getting some new upgrades in 3rd OGs, plus general SRW @3 plot teasing for 3rd OGs.  Interesting that Moon Dwellers takes place after Masou Kishin Lord of Elemental Final, so LoE2/3/F all take place off-screen between 2nd OGs/Dark Prison and Moon Dwellers. 

Anyhow, I guess I'd recommend it.  It's fun enough.  Solid appetizer to enjoy until we get the main course of 3rd OGs hopefully in a couple years.

Shuri

« Reply #997 on: August 07, 2016, 08:10:33 AM »
My physical copy is on its way, it should be here wednesday. Good to hear positive impressions. It's going to be my first experience with the series..

Bebpo

« Reply #998 on: August 07, 2016, 03:18:39 PM »
Yeah, SRW is pretty straight-forward on how to play.  If you have any questions, I wrote a primer on gaf explaining all the gameplay mechanics and some general strategy:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1255890

Shuri

« Reply #999 on: August 08, 2016, 08:54:32 PM »
I played a bit, the story is super typical and quite  :doge but it's a nice throwback to snes style jrpg story telling. The gameplay feels fine so far. I was just not expecting such a typical 'highschool teen ends up in the middle of a mecha war' storyline.

Thanks for the guide!

Bebpo

« Reply #1000 on: August 08, 2016, 11:22:47 PM »
 :itagaki

The original storylines in super robot wars games do their best to imitate modern mech anime so they fit in.  It's super tropey, but it's kind of nice if you like mecha anime that the original stuff follows the same beats.  That being said they usually aren't that bad about having high school kids ends up in super robot plotlines, but J's male protag's plot is that.  The female protag's a bit different but hers is still super 2004 Gundam SEED angsty.  The J storyline was created to fit into to Gundam Seed's first appearance in SRW, so it makes sense it has a close vibe.

Some of the later games though have more interesting OG characters, like Z1's Rand is a burly middle-aged mechanic and Z2's lead Crowe is a middle-aged Spike from Cowboy Bebop bounty hunter.  Then Z3's Hibiki is high school kid again. 

Shuri

« Reply #1001 on: August 10, 2016, 01:30:54 PM »
The game is super easy so far  ???. I can't remember which episode # I am right now, i believe it's #5 - Gunner's Guard or something. I'm taking time with this game, I like to explore all the background info you can read on bolded words during the story segments. They dump so much stuff  on you during dialogs, i'm a bit lost sometimes.

But yeah, the fights are incredibly easy so far, i was expecting something way harder.

I miss Front Mission  :(

Bebpo

« Reply #1002 on: August 10, 2016, 03:35:00 PM »
Hmmmmmmm, SRW difficulty is weird.

Playing on normal, not going for SR points in stages, the game is gonna be cakewalk outside the final bosses.  It's basically a fun VN with cool attack animations.
Playing on hard and going for all the SR points is frustratingly difficult, but not really in a challenge way as much as a save/restart over and over again trial & error way (btw soft reset in SRW is all shoulder buttons + options, if you HOLD all those instead of just resetting to title it'll reset and load your last in-map save which is helpful)

There's no good difficulty.  In other SRW games that are less broken, playing on hard and going for SR points is a decent challenge and only trial & error frustrating on a handful of maps.  But in MD, the hit percentages are such shit on hard that you'll be missing everything and getting hit by everything and it's just not fun.

Also you're at stage 5.  SRW games are like 50-60 stages long with branching that often brings them to about 100+ maps per game.  MD is shorter because it's a side-game kinda thing, but it's still 47 maps in the main story, and the branching makes it around 70ish maps total.  Usually the first 15-20 stages are the intro where you're just collecting your characters and partying up so those are usually the shortest and easiest stages.  The last 4-8 stages are always a pain in the butt.  If you get to the final boss you'll see in MD, but it's ridiculous even on normal.

Shuri

« Reply #1003 on: August 12, 2016, 12:55:08 PM »
I've just hit a rather frustration mission.. I have to fight About 15 mechs  and one piloted by some guy called Varient

But I can't kill any of them. I must lower the mechs health to <1500 while I must lower Varient's mech to <2000. I ended up failing the mission a few times because some of my counterattack would kill a random mech. And I only have one mech that has a weapon with 1500 damages, so I gotta move him around to disable mechs that would get destroyed by the regular attacks of my other mechs.

I'm ending up in situations with ennemy mechs with 1600 hit points and I gotta pray that my finisher mech doesnt do more..

:doge Japanese Gameplay Concepts  :doge

Bebpo

« Reply #1004 on: August 12, 2016, 01:15:54 PM »
Yeah, that was really stupid and pissed me off.  Luckily there's only two maps that do this, and frustratingly they're both early on.

Just quicksave and restart a bunch.  No other tips.  There's a seishin command that keeps enemies alive at 10HP when an attack would have killed them called take it easy, but I think only one guy has it and maybe only in the second map that does this.  These two maps are the absolute worst.

« Reply #1005 on: December 16, 2016, 12:47:51 PM »
Man, while I was away from the Bore we got NOT ONE, NOT TWO BUT THREE COUNT EM THREE! mecha titles localized into English for the PS4.

Gundam Breaker 3 - Awesome.
SRW OG The Moon Divers - Played for a bit, daughter was kinda intrigued watching me play.
SD Gundam G Generation Genesis - Holy shit that's a lot of G's. Played the first stage so far.

Kinda feels wrong no longer playing these games in Japanese, but I'm supporting the movement for more mecha gaming in English.
野球

« Reply #1006 on: December 20, 2016, 12:00:51 PM »
All the December G Gen Genesis DLC is up.
野球

« Reply #1007 on: February 18, 2017, 03:22:55 PM »
SRWV NEXT WEEK!!!!!

YES.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 07:00:42 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

Beezy

« Reply #1008 on: February 19, 2017, 08:33:12 AM »
It's coming out in the US? Is this a good place to start in the franchise? I've always wanted to play one of these games.

Bebpo

« Reply #1009 on: February 19, 2017, 12:25:21 PM »
No, but the Asia version is region free and in English.  Can import it from places like Play-Asia or buy digital off the HK store.  Just make sure you're getting the English langugage version.

I'm getting V this week, but Nier Automata is out the same day in Japan, so gonna play that first.  And just a bit of V on the side so I'll be behind you Mr. Gundam and going slow.

« Reply #1010 on: February 19, 2017, 12:57:32 PM »
No, but the Asia version is region free and in English.  Can import it from places like Play-Asia or buy digital off the HK store.  Just make sure you're getting the English langugage version.

I'm getting V this week, but Nier Automata is out the same day in Japan, so gonna play that first.  And just a bit of V on the side so I'll be behind you Mr. Gundam and going slow.

I won't start playing for a while. I chose standard shipping from Play Asia and I'll be in Florida the week after next.
野球

« Reply #1011 on: February 22, 2017, 02:24:59 PM »
野球

archie4208

« Reply #1012 on: February 22, 2017, 03:45:46 PM »
I hope V's translation is better than Moon Dwellers.  All the Engrish hurts my head. 

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1013 on: February 22, 2017, 05:26:51 PM »
Are these SRW games hard?

Bebpo

« Reply #1014 on: February 22, 2017, 06:02:46 PM »
Are these SRW games hard?

Easy as fuck on normal difficulty.  Only challenging if you go for challenge points.  Final bosses are tough too.

« Reply #1015 on: February 23, 2017, 11:18:51 AM »
Apparently SRWV added a "Beginner's Mode" this time as well.
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1016 on: February 23, 2017, 11:30:08 AM »
That animation in HD
:lawd
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #1017 on: February 23, 2017, 01:25:07 PM »
Apparently SRWV added a "Beginner's Mode" this time as well.

It was in Moon Dwellers too.  Basically just had some extra tutorial stages.

« Reply #1018 on: February 23, 2017, 06:47:59 PM »
The tutorial was a separate mode. And you got a trophy for doing it.
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #1019 on: February 24, 2017, 05:22:53 PM »
Got my copy of V in today along with Nier.  Will post some impressions later this weekend.