Author Topic: The Bore Mecha Gaming Thread: Gundam, Super Robot Wars, Armored Core and More!  (Read 206317 times)

mjemirzian

Re: The Bore Mecha Gaming Thread: All Mecha, All The Time!
« Reply #840 on: December 15, 2012, 10:09:46 PM »
I wish I could afford to import that much. I'm limited to SRW and maybe Fire Emblem if it's any good.. (Awakening wasn't)

Post your playthrough impressions Mr Gundam

« Reply #841 on: December 16, 2012, 12:55:23 AM »
I imported EX Troopers, SRWOG, and RGG5 in the last three weeks. Next one for me is Macross 30. Next after that at the moment is Gundam Breaker.
野球

mjemirzian

« Reply #842 on: December 19, 2012, 08:35:35 AM »
Still going on with the ex-hard playthrough. It should be renamed ex-easy. Only the last 1/4 of the game is much more than beating up on grunts and weak bosses.

« Reply #843 on: December 19, 2012, 11:48:25 PM »
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #844 on: January 05, 2013, 06:39:44 AM »
Been playing OG Gaiden and didn't realize how short it is.  Only 36 stages with just 1 split for about 6 maps.  I'm at stage 30, so I'll probably finish it up in the next week or two and then start 2nd OGs.  Pretty excited to play 2nd OGs, OGG has been a lot of fun outside the HP tank occasional bosses.

May actually be able to get through 2nd OGs before UX comes out.  Though, still gotta finish SRW@3.  I think I have about 20 stages to go on that one but it drags sooo much where I'm at. 

mjemirzian

« Reply #845 on: January 05, 2013, 11:21:03 AM »
How is your 2nd og playthrough going? I'd like to play through OGs and OGG but I haven't got to it yet.. still have to finish up Alpha Gaiden and continue from there.

I finished my video playthrough log. ex-hard was disappointing, although the last 3 or 4 scenarios had some big ugly bosses to beat on at least.

mjemirzian

« Reply #846 on: February 14, 2013, 03:37:05 AM »
I suppose I'm marking myself as a big weeaboo, but I ordered a Japanese 3DS (non-LL size) and SRW UX.

Screw next gen, I know where my bread is buttered.

« Reply #847 on: February 14, 2013, 11:23:38 AM »
Macross 30 is out in two weeks. ArtDink has a done great job on the previous PSP and PS3 Macross games, but hopefully this one takes advantage of being on a console.
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #848 on: February 15, 2013, 05:32:40 AM »

And in other news, I'm a little over halfway through 2nd OGs and it's pretty good.  It's not particularly interesting gameplay-wise (mjemirzian was right), but the story is moving and the animations/music are good.  Doing all routes in one play so it took me a while to get going since each starting route was 15 unique stages long.  Will probably finish it before UX comes out in a month and move on to that even if the animations are ugly in UX.

mjemirzian

« Reply #849 on: February 15, 2013, 05:56:00 AM »
SRW UX is being made by a different dev team, right? It looks promising in terms of gameplay, seems like they're putting some effort into it. I'm not expecting anything amazingly difficult but Puzzle Robo should be amusing.

Bebpo

« Reply #850 on: February 15, 2013, 06:33:41 AM »
If it's anything like the DS games (probably the same team) it'll be brain dead easy but fast, short and fun.

« Reply #851 on: February 19, 2013, 11:29:37 AM »

Still not sure what I think of this...
野球

« Reply #852 on: February 19, 2013, 06:06:05 PM »

Macross 30 footage starts at 43 seconds.
野球

« Reply #853 on: March 05, 2013, 02:51:40 PM »

Game is awesome so far. AtrDink took their PSP Macross games and fleshed them out for a home console experience. Also changed the control scheme to take advantage of the second analog stick.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 03:29:13 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #854 on: March 13, 2013, 02:20:40 PM »

Played 1 map, already like it better than 2nd OGs.  Not that I dislike OGs, but there is so much wrong with OGs, especially 2nd OGs, and licensed SRW does things A LOT better in a lot of areas (pacing, story, repetition)

Story presentation is really nice so far and the visual/audio package does feel a good step up from the DS games.  It's below Z2 for sure, but not bad, not bad.  Only complaint is the sprites are blurred a little to hid how low-res pixely they should be; which looks lame. 

One thing that is AWESOME and is why I LOVE SRW is the first map starts with Destiny taking place in the same world as Fafner.  Like the first ep of Fafner has Kagari/Athrun/Shinn on the island base helping out with the defenses since the island is under Orb or something.  AND IT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE SINCE EVERYONE LOOKS THE SAME  :lol :lol

« Reply #855 on: March 13, 2013, 02:35:03 PM »
The Gundam Breaker beta comes out tonight for PS3. Game releases June 27th on PS3, but the Vita version is apparently further out.

One thing that is AWESOME and is why I LOVE SRW is the first map starts with Destiny taking place in the same world as Fafner.  Like the first ep of Fafner has Kagari/Athrun/Shinn on the island base helping out with the defenses since the island is under Orb or something.  AND IT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE SINCE EVERYONE LOOKS THE SAME  :lol :lol

:rofl
野球

mjemirzian

« Reply #856 on: March 13, 2013, 04:33:55 PM »
2nd OG had too many filler stages for sure, especially if all you care about is the plot.

Bebpo

« Reply #857 on: March 13, 2013, 05:53:44 PM »
Well, the way I see it:

Care about the plot?  For every map that moves the story, there's 2 of filler.
Care about new animations?  After the initial character roundup, you're lucky if you see one new animation introduced per map.
Care about the gameplay?  Maps are all grunt waves, who cares.

I dunno, it's not a bad game.  But it's a pretty average SRW so far where I am (map 39).  It's a little better than OG1 but worse than OG2 and OGG so far.  Also as much as I like the animations, I really hate the backgrounds in 2nd OGs.  They're so bland and undetailed.  UX has better looked backdrops for christs sake!

mjemirzian

« Reply #858 on: March 13, 2013, 06:07:47 PM »
As far as gameplay, I agree there are too many stages that are mostly wrecking weak grunts that pose little or no threat. Even on ex-hard only the last few scenarios might threaten to game over you. Too much filler, too many paper thin grunts.

When the first preview of 2nd OG scenario 1 showed up, I criticized it for being bland/boring/filler/too short on gamefaqs. Of course, a bunch of rabid fanboys (including shouta) attacked me for it, insulting me and telling me I was "looking for things to complain about", but as usual I turned out to be right about the game having too much boring filler.

UX is pretty good so far.. up to Ch 5. Doing the usual no pilot/robot upgrades. Scenarios are short but eventful.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 06:10:24 PM by mjemirzian »

« Reply #859 on: March 14, 2013, 11:37:24 AM »
I downloaded the Gundam Breaker beta last night. It's basically Gundam Musou with kit bashing and mobile suits of varying size (High Grade, Master Grade, Perfect Grade, etc.).
野球

mjemirzian

« Reply #860 on: March 14, 2013, 12:58:29 PM »
Been playing SRW UX. It's decent so far. Just made it to scen 10 so I'm looking into unit pairings. You only get a small number of deployment slots, might as well deploy twins instead of leave pilots on the bench.

I'm pretty sure Continuous Action doesn't proc just for being a single unit. From what I understand you need to have a single unit that has the CA skill. I don't have any pilots w/ CA right now.

Scenarios have been fast but eventful. Pretty good so far, nothing difficult. I miss SR points, but I love the new Tailwind seishin (15 SP, grants Accel to 1 unit/twin)

Combat speed is good, UI is responsive. UI flow and options feels like they could have done more with it, but it's decent for a modern SRW UI.

Gundam Breaker is that the Vita game?

« Reply #861 on: March 14, 2013, 04:16:18 PM »
Gundam Breaker is that the Vita game?

PS3/Vita. The Vita version is currently MIA.
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #862 on: March 14, 2013, 04:43:27 PM »
Hey mjemirzian, is it just me or do support attacks replenish every turn?  Seems like most units have 1/1 and then 0/1 after using it and then are back at 1/1 next turn.

Seems kind of broken haha, but I can't say I dislike always having support attacks and defense around.  That plus new seishins to play around with make it pretty fun. 

I miss SR points but at the same time I think it makes the game more fun to let you play it however you want instead of always having to play it a certain way to get the SR point.  Less challenge, but more fun.

mjemirzian

« Reply #863 on: March 14, 2013, 04:59:59 PM »
I'm pretty sure support attacks have always replenished at the start of every player phase. Pretty much every pilot has support attack in UX so there is a lot to go around.

One thing to note is that you can only get a support attack if you're attacking with a single unit. If you attack with a pair, you can't get supported. Not sure about support defense.

Yeah it's a pretty fun game, not meant to be anything serious or hardcore. I haven't tried puzzle robo yet, can't seem to find any puzzle robo maps to play from the intermission.

Do you still think the combat speed is slow-ish? It feels ok to me.. I can counterkill through grunts pretty quickly w/ animations off. It's nothing awful like Alpha Gaiden's speed w/ animations off.

Bebpo

« Reply #864 on: March 14, 2013, 05:03:37 PM »
It's not slow.  It's fine, but I think 2nd OGs/Z2 move quicker with animations off.

I don't think support attacks replenish in 2nd OGs or Z2...because I remember having to save my support attacks for bosses.   

mjemirzian

« Reply #865 on: March 14, 2013, 10:27:17 PM »
It's a tad bit slower than 2nd OG, not much to be concerned about unless you have to replay a stage 10 times. But since it's a pretty easy game with no skill points there's not going to be much of an issue. Similar to 2nd OG you can geek out with optimizing twin setups but it's hardly necessary. I like how each pilot has their own twin bonus. I'm not seeing any big reasons to go solo unless you really need Continuous Action to grunt hop for low turns.

I've got a UX play log up.

野球

Bebpo

« Reply #867 on: May 07, 2013, 08:56:42 PM »
Weird, so they'll keep milking this series out instead of having the staff move onto something else.  The pre-rendered sprites are going to look so weird on PS3.  Will get it on Vita probably.

« Reply #868 on: May 07, 2013, 08:58:58 PM »
I need scans, really curious what this looks like.
野球

mjemirzian

« Reply #869 on: May 07, 2013, 10:14:12 PM »
You don't think they'll reuse the 2nd OG animations?

This is kind of meh. MK games have been pretty boring so far, sorry winkysoft. Dunno who is developing this one though.

Bebpo

« Reply #870 on: May 08, 2013, 12:37:00 AM »
They could re-use the OG characters, and run it on 2nd OGs engine, yeah. 

Or they could re-use the LoE2 sprites from the PSP.

Dunno, seems like a lot of effort to do a 2nd OGs quality game for another LoE fanservice sequel.  Then again if 50% of the game is re-used sprites from 2nd OGs, maybe it's not a big deal and is the equivalent of OGGaiden effort.

« Reply #871 on: May 08, 2013, 11:32:01 AM »
Famitsu scans are out. I'm trying to upload them from my phone (source blocked at work), but it's not cooperating.

Trailer already out:

Full-sized 3D mechs. Doesn't look bad.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 11:37:13 AM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

mjemirzian

« Reply #872 on: May 08, 2013, 11:44:54 AM »
So it's the prerendered stuff they used in MK2? Obviously rendered at a higher resolution this time for PS3/Vita.

It must be winkysoft developing it, too. Well let's see how they do.. I wasn't impressed with MK2.

« Reply #873 on: May 08, 2013, 12:21:51 PM »
So it's the prerendered stuff they used in MK2? Obviously rendered at a higher resolution this time for PS3/Vita.

It must be winkysoft developing it, too. Well let's see how they do.. I wasn't impressed with MK2.

I don't think there's any doubt about Winkysoft doing this one. I can't see the PS3 2nd OG team pumpking MK3 out in less than a year.
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #874 on: May 08, 2013, 06:48:35 PM »
Yeah, it's the same team and same visuals as expected.

I'll pick it up and play it one day after LoE2 which I will play after I finish UX, 2nd OGs, and @3.  So basically in a couple of years  :lol

Probably going to skip the PSP 3D SRW.  Too backlogged right now, though I'll probably finish UX/2nd/@3 all this year since I've only got about 20-30 hours left in each at this point. 

« Reply #875 on: May 08, 2013, 08:01:59 PM »
So I'm on the very last mission of Macross 30. Fantastic game and well worth buying if you have any interest in Macross.
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #876 on: May 08, 2013, 10:12:05 PM »
I guess this should get posted in this thread at some point as well:

The pricing is not bad at all, 20 maps for 500yen?  That's like 10-20 hours of gameplay for $5.  Even if it's a 100 map SRW like 2nd OGs/Z2/etc... it'd only be 2500yen or $25.  And the gameplay could be good because Neo supposedly played well and this is the successor.

Buuuuut, the animations, cut-ins, and voice overs are so much re-use it's kind of mehhhhhhhh.  Would I like to play another game's take on Gundam OO and Gurren Lagann and Geass?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  It'll be interesting if this GL goes ALL THE WAY to the finish and has the crazy awesome mechs that Z2 did not.  Also having Gundam OO S1 & S2 and Geass + Geass R2 in a single game instead of spread apart could be cool.  Dunno what to think about this game.  I'll probably try out the first ep just out of curiosity.

Bebpo

« Reply #877 on: May 08, 2013, 10:13:45 PM »
So I'm on the very last mission of Macross 30. Fantastic game and well worth buying if you have any interest in Macross.

I'd totally play it if I liked Macross more and liked flight action games.  Not really big on either so I pass on this stuff.

« Reply #878 on: May 08, 2013, 10:19:46 PM »
That's too bad. It's a great open world mecha flight game.
野球

« Reply #879 on: June 03, 2013, 07:49:20 PM »
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 07:51:00 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

« Reply #880 on: July 09, 2013, 09:00:13 PM »
So Gundam Breaker is pretty janky and basic, but addictive as fuck. Takes the basic musou set up but adds team based strategy, special skills, and KIT BASHING OH GOD THE KIT BASHING. It's beautiful.
野球

mjemirzian

« Reply #881 on: July 11, 2013, 09:58:56 AM »
OE arriving soon.. MK3 next month.

Anyone playing either?

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #882 on: July 11, 2013, 12:05:07 PM »
if i wanted to get a game with robots and stuff on ps3 what would be the best pick? ACE? gundam musou?
<----

Bebpo

« Reply #883 on: July 11, 2013, 02:39:49 PM »
Depends.  ACE:R sucks.  Don't play it.  Gundam Musou 3 is great if you just want to beat up dudes as Gundams in Dynasty Warriors style.  Gundam v Gundam Extreme is awesome Virtual On game.

OE arriving soon.. MK3 next month.

Anyone playing either?

Will probably play a few maps of OE since it's cheap at 500yen.  Not planning on sticking with it though.  8 chapters of 20 maps each is too much of a time commitment.

mjemirzian

« Reply #884 on: July 11, 2013, 03:01:54 PM »
There's no way they'll force you to play through previous episodes to play new ones. That would make it more stages than Impact.

Bebpo

« Reply #885 on: July 11, 2013, 04:36:28 PM »
Sure, but if you want to play them in order it'll probably be that long.

« Reply #886 on: July 12, 2013, 10:43:55 AM »
if i wanted to get a game with robots and stuff on ps3 what would be the best pick? ACE? gundam musou?

Gundam 0081
Gundam Unicorn
Gundam Extreme Versus

野球

mjemirzian

« Reply #887 on: July 20, 2013, 09:44:04 PM »
Quick Super Robot Wars OE impressions:

It's decent, promising, but needs a lot of work. Missions are mostly filler with few interesting scripted events. It's passable, but I'm sure they can do better, and I'd rather have quality not quantity. I hope the missions going forward are better than Ch 1.

Map size and unit counts are too small imo. I suspect the unit count and map size is hindered by the PSP's hardware. It's easy to get slowdown even with a few units on screen. I would really love to see this on Vita instead of PSP with larger maps, more units, less slowdown, etc.

The UI is missing features found in 2nd OG and Z2-2, which slows down combat speed. Menus have transition effects and load times that further slow things down. Some of this can be disabled in the options screen, but it doesn't help much. This is  disappointing after the better UI/combat speed of 2nd OG and Z2-2.

The microtransactions and repetable missions do encourage grinding, but the game still keeps track of your turn counts. It also keeps track of both your # of unique missions cleared and your total # cleared, allowing you to tell if the player has repeated a mission. With those three stats you can tell how many missions were repeated and the average turncount, which is a bit better than no stat tracking at all.

You only get one save between intermission and mission quicksave, so if you save yourself into a corner during a mission, there's no way to back out and restart a mission while keeping your previous turn count. I thought that was pretty interesting and forces you to pay a bit more attention.

+interesting NEO mechanics
+better stats tracking
+best animations of any 3D SRW
+lots of series represented

-far too many easy/boring filler missions
-slow combat speed, too many menu transition effects and load times
-missing UI features that were in 2nd OG and Z2-2
-small levels and unit counts, low difficulty, combat can feel repetitive
-microtransactions and grinding encouraged

Finished all 35 missions of Chapter 1 (including 3 skirmishes).

Conditions: No upgrades/parts equipped, low turn counts, no allies defeated
Results: 114 turns/35 out of 35 missions
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 09:59:57 PM by mjemirzian »

Bebpo

« Reply #888 on: July 21, 2013, 03:44:54 AM »
35 missions?  Wow.  I thought they said there was going to be 20 in Chapter 1?

« Reply #889 on: July 22, 2013, 12:13:34 PM »
So now that I've played the main "story" mode of Gundam Breaker, it's dawned on me... this game is kinda like Phantasy Star Online.
野球

mjemirzian

« Reply #890 on: July 23, 2013, 03:05:24 PM »
35 missions?  Wow.  I thought they said there was going to be 20 in Chapter 1?
Most of them are 5-10 minute filler where you kick around some grunts.

Hoping for more epic stages in later chapters.

Shuri

« Reply #891 on: July 23, 2013, 05:08:03 PM »
So many hours logged to Mech Warrior online.. I'm still addicted, and I even bought the Overload package for the upcoming october release of the Robotech-ish mechas. I also tried Hawken; the game looks AMAZING graphically (this is some serious next level shit), and while the gameplay is fine, I can see it getting stale really fast. There is a very limited amount of customization you can do; and the gameplay feels like a regular fps game with a mecha semi-animu skin. It's not a bad thing but I was expecting more.

My gaming time is stuck between MWO and DayZ:Origins these days.

mjemirzian

« Reply #892 on: August 03, 2013, 07:21:12 AM »
I finished Ch 2. Scenario 7-3 was pretty good, it felt the closest to an 'epic' SRW scenario so far. Scenario 9-3 was decent too. I also liked the mission with domon and hero in the cave, and the mission where you bring the scopedogs to the goal.

Better content overall, and I'm enjoying the game more on the emulator at 150% normal speed. 150% speedup smooths out the load times and laggy menu transition effects.

I'm still playing under the same conditions as before, and it felt like the difficulty was increased especially in Scenario 7 where you have to spread your forces thin to make the continuous bonus. Turn count atm is 200 turns, 62 out of 62 scenarios. I'm wondering whether you'll be able to get the max EC rank without repeating stages or DLC.

I haven't done the Patlabor vs boss solo scenario yet - my Patlabor pilot is lv 14 and got wrecked by the boss, even trying to debuff it with that 900 damage attack. I'm not sure how much an extra couple levels would help, either.

Overall I'm a bit happier with the level design, and I wouldn't want to go back from the 150%+ speed emu to a real PSP.

« Reply #893 on: September 03, 2013, 03:31:23 PM »
Shin Gundam Musou was announced for PS3 and Vita today.
野球

mjemirzian

« Reply #894 on: September 08, 2013, 09:59:26 AM »
SRW MK3 impressions: MK3 is basically MK2 with added parts/part points, different skill system, and enemies with higher stats. Part points work like skill points, except you get a part as a reward. Skills are still refundable and now cost PP, with PP rewarded for unspent SP at the end of each mission.

Enemies have higher stats overall, especially grunts with high HP and long range high damage P attacks. The AI is also improved, choosing to focus fire on weaker units instead of randomly attacking as in most recent SRWs.

The campaign starts out more difficult than usual, but gets easier once you have better upgrades/parts/skills/morale boosts. I'm not a big fan of reverse difficulty curves and I think they should have reversed the curve or added an easy mode. It's one of the more difficult SRWs of the past couple years. You can get extra parts from DLC missions which make the game easier overall, though.

Overall it's an improvement on MK2, but still feels like a game from the 1990s with HD graphics. Winkysoft hasn't changed its formula much. I gave MK2 a 6/10 and MK3 feels more like a 6.5-7/10.

I recorded a vid of the final scenario (Fang route). Probably not going to play the other routes.

Now to catch up on SRW OE and clear Ch 3 and 4.

« Reply #895 on: September 08, 2013, 02:55:54 PM »
I played through the prologue on MKIII, but that's it. Been too busy with other things so videogames have taken a back seat.
野球

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #896 on: September 08, 2013, 03:47:54 PM »
I got Zone of the Enders HD collection from gamefly today, never played either so I'm excited to dive in tonight

« Reply #897 on: September 08, 2013, 04:12:06 PM »
I got Zone of the Enders HD collection from gamefly today, never played either so I'm excited to dive in tonight

Which version? The PS3 port got of ZOE2 got an incredible upgrade patch over the summer.
野球

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #898 on: September 08, 2013, 04:16:20 PM »
360 so that sucks lol

mjemirzian

« Reply #899 on: September 08, 2013, 06:54:38 PM »
I played through the prologue on MKIII, but that's it. Been too busy with other things so videogames have taken a back seat.
They really do push out a lot of SRW content every year.. I've fallen behind on OE. Trying to catch up to Ch 4 before Ch 5 comes out in like 10 days..