Author Topic: The Bore Mecha Gaming Thread: Gundam, Super Robot Wars, Armored Core and More!  (Read 205449 times)

Re: The Bore Mecha Gaming Thread: All Mecha, All The Time!
« Reply #1020 on: February 24, 2017, 09:59:30 PM »
I started playing SD Gundam G Generation Genesis last night in earnest.

I totally forgot that I don't play strategy games the right way, cause I was getting my ass kicked hard on MSG stage 2.
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #1021 on: February 25, 2017, 02:39:52 AM »
WOW

HOLY SHIT

SRW V IS AMAZING

I had no expectations going in but deep down I kinda hoped the game would be an apology for Z3 and years of weak slow boring licensed SRW games.  AND THEY FINALLY DID IT.
This game is fast as fuck, the animations are exciting and dynamic again, and the story moves quick (thanks to no 2 game split) and is cool so far.  But yeah, it's really fun and it looks fucking amazing.  Feels like a return to the @3/Z1 era.

None of this sit for 1-2 seconds, unit comes out, sit for 1-2 seconds, they say their line and attack.  Nah, moves quick right into battle and animations are short, awesome and sprites are great.  Plus they do the square button skip sides from Z2 + O button speed up from every SRW from Alpha 3 on.

Now I'm sure once I get to the old Z3 sprite series the sprite animations will still suck like FMA, but at least they should be faster.  But the new stuff so far is all great.  Crossbone is omfg.  YAMATO is beast.  If the next licensed game they do is a reboot and no more Z3 sprites, and all the new stuff is the level of the new series in V...hot damn, gonna be crazy.

But yeah the first 4-5 stages basically sold me on the game so much I'm gonna go online and buy all the DLC stages.

Bebpo

« Reply #1022 on: February 25, 2017, 02:49:38 AM »
It's really clear that they did the smart fucking thing.  They fucked up in Z3 by trying to draw the sprites SO DETAILED at 1080p that they couldn't animate them worth shit.  Looking at the sprites in V they're a lot lower resolution.  Still heads and shoulders generation leap above the PS2 games like @3/Z1, but less than Z3, so like ~720p sprites.  And they look GREAT and in return the animation is fucking good again.  This was what they should've done back at Z3 instead of striving for the sharpest highest resolution sprites.  The resolution of the new sprites in V are perfect and I'm fine with them sticking at this level + good animation for the next 50 years.  720p anime still scales incredibly well at 1080p.

Bebpo

« Reply #1023 on: March 20, 2017, 04:57:11 AM »
It's kinda nuts how much animation they redid on the Z3 units.  I just got Unicorn Gundam and the bazooka attack is like 1000x better and shows what was wrong with Z3 (static) and how SRW animations should look (dynamic).  The changes to the NT-D attack are interesting because they totally changed it around.

Z3: (Bazooka at 3 mins; NT-D at 4:30 mins)

V: (Bazooka at 40 seconds; NT-D at 1:50 mins)

Bebpo

« Reply #1024 on: March 21, 2017, 09:39:58 PM »
Can we talk about Hathaway's Flash?  I finally sat down and read a plot summary of the novels since SRW V keeps mentioning Mufti and I don't know what that is and wtf.is.this.shit.  I'm actually glad SRW V does not cover the story because it sounds awful and pointless.  The way SRW V handles it where Hathaway's Flash is canon in Crossbone's world but

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Hathaway in the game is from another dimension (red eva earth) where that shit didn't happen and instead he's just an unstable kid test pilot post-CCA
[close]

is much better.  The whole Mufti shit sounds so bad.  And I like depressing Tomino.  But it just sounds pointless.  Let's make Hathaway a dumbass terrorist because REASONS and then

spoiler (click to show/hide)
he accomplishes nothing and gets executed by firing squad.
[close]

:|

Bebpo

« Reply #1025 on: April 01, 2017, 05:47:52 AM »
The Laevatein is fucking awesome in this.  Like holy crap, these attacks.  In Z3 it just stood there, but yeah this is a cool mech.

Shuri

« Reply #1026 on: April 01, 2017, 05:11:57 PM »
How is the storyline in this one? I gotta say that I stopped playing Moon Dweller because I couldn't take it anymore.

Bebpo

« Reply #1027 on: April 01, 2017, 06:04:21 PM »
Just as much story but very different because it's a licensed SRW.

In Moon Dwellers you had like 3 original subplots going at the same time with some intersection and a handful of units.
In SRW V you have like 10+ anime subplots going on with intersection and they're literally the plots of the animes with intersection from other animes (Like when the angels from Eva arrive you also have Neo-Zeon who are trying to stop you from stopping the angels in a map because they want the earth destroyed).

It's hard to say how the story is because it's 75% the plots of all these animes, so if you like these animes and want to play through their stories with intersection and an original plot tying them all together, you'll enjoy it.

I like it a good deal, there's a lot happening with so many factions and characters that it's always interesting to me.  But I've learned over the years that SRW isn't for everyone.  Like duckroll is up there with Mr. Gundam in being an anime mecha fan, but he didn't/doesn't like SRW. 

Even as much as I like a good SRW (and V to me is the best licensed SRW in about 10 years), I wouldn't rate them higher than like an 8 or 8.5/10 for their best ones (and 6/10 for the worst ones).  SRW is a thing and licensed SRW is pretty different from OG SRW.  It's worth trying one of each and seeing if the series is something you enjoy.  If you don't like it, future ones aren't going to change your mind.

« Reply #1028 on: April 01, 2017, 06:10:03 PM »
I've only done the first 9 scenarios, but I love the storyline mashup primarily being Yamato 2199 and Gundam Crossbone so far.

If you don't dig the mashup "continuity thrown out the window" stuff, the SD Gundam G Generation games are pretty straightforward.
野球

« Reply #1029 on: April 04, 2017, 02:51:37 PM »
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #1030 on: April 06, 2017, 02:31:02 AM »
Btw, I really like that they added the Stoner Sunshine song.  As awesome as 10 years of HEATS for every attack was, I'm kinda tired of HEATS and it's nice having a new badass Shin Getter Robo theme.

@ 3:30

Stoner Sunshine has got to be one of the most iconic attacks ever in mecha.  Still love it.  STONAAAAA SUNSHINEEEEEE

PS.  for lolz

Bebpo

« Reply #1031 on: April 14, 2017, 03:32:57 PM »
OMG MAZIN EMPEROR G IS SO COOL

So, at some point I'm assuming were going to get a Mazinger Zero & Mazin Emperor G OAV.  I will watch that.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #1032 on: April 27, 2017, 10:45:01 PM »
Bump for me almost finishing SRWV for the first time.

Best unit was F91 and they just took it away from me.
PS4

Bebpo

« Reply #1033 on: April 27, 2017, 11:15:48 PM »
You're the second person I've heard say that.  Can't you just stick him back in the F91?  I didn't lose the unit when he switched over to Crossbone X1.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #1034 on: April 27, 2017, 11:32:30 PM »
The F91 no longer appears on my list of units...
PS4

Bebpo

« Reply #1035 on: April 27, 2017, 11:43:50 PM »
Weird, I'm only a few maps ahead of you (map 46) and I still have it and can change back into it.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1036 on: April 27, 2017, 11:51:09 PM »
Wow Gundam Versus is actually coming out in the west. I mean it was only a matter of time since Bandai Namco is full stream ahead with thier anime games, but I still wasn't 100% sure. Its also going to get a physical release.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #1037 on: April 27, 2017, 11:55:32 PM »
Weird, I'm only a few maps ahead of you (map 46) and I still have it and can change back into it.

Let me check again when I get home, but I was happy when I got Shin Getter but didn't lose the Black Getter (even though no one can pilot it except Ryoma lulz). Same doesn't apply for the F91.
PS4

« Reply #1038 on: April 28, 2017, 12:52:04 PM »
I'm probably still gonna get the English language Asian import of Gundam Versus for guaranteed licensed music and there's not much else to play this Summer.
野球

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #1039 on: April 28, 2017, 10:58:43 PM »
Just finished chapter 40 and got a shitload of new mecha including unit-13 from Eva 3.0, Penelope, Byarlant Custom,and a bunch of others. Whoa.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 11:08:00 PM by Ichirou »
PS4

Bebpo

« Reply #1040 on: April 29, 2017, 03:16:38 AM »
Yeah, I made it to the final 2 stages.  Will probably finish it tomorrow morning.  The start of the final 3 maps was pretty good and intense.

The good ending route is interesting in that it basically gives you every secret in the game in case you missed them along the way.  I got all of the secrets except Full Frontal, so got that now which is kinda cool.

Bebpo

« Reply #1041 on: April 29, 2017, 08:13:37 PM »
Finished V, some good fights in the last stages.  Overall, pretty solid SRW.  It's not amazingly exciting but it's good and solid throughout with few flaws other than the zero difficulty.  Yamato was a nice addition as are Mazinger Zero & Mazin Emperor G.  Good step up from Z3 and BX.  I look forward to the next SRW!

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #1042 on: April 30, 2017, 06:05:30 PM »
How many stages total? And who was your MC? I went with Soji.
PS4

Bebpo

« Reply #1043 on: April 30, 2017, 08:14:32 PM »
52 total, so you're getting near the end.  Yeah I went with Soji.  I thought he was a good MC though there isn't much OG story for him & Nine.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #1044 on: May 01, 2017, 12:39:58 AM »
I just defeated Exev and the Great General of Darkness. Guess I'm really close to the end...
PS4

« Reply #1045 on: May 04, 2017, 03:02:17 PM »
I haven't played SRWV in ages. I think I'm on stage 10.

Stupid Nier Automata and Persona 5.
野球

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #1046 on: May 06, 2017, 05:31:08 AM »
Finished it and started over on Chitose's route so I can do the alternate route maps.
PS4

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #1047 on: May 06, 2017, 07:32:41 AM »
Fuck, and now I'm looking online at the Soul of Chogokin figures for Daitarn 3, Zambot 3, Yamato, etc...
PS4

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #1048 on: May 14, 2017, 07:39:12 PM »
Just got the Platinum.

My only question now is...which to play next, Persona 5 or Nier Automata?
PS4

Bebpo

« Reply #1049 on: May 14, 2017, 08:07:54 PM »
Nier is waaaaaaaaay shorter, so I'd play that first.  Both are very great.

I picked up G Gen Genesis on Vita and played about 5-10 hours.  Middle of stage 5 battle of Big Zam in 0079. Fairly torn on the game. It's ungodly slow compared to SRW with animations off, so stages take 1-2 hours even at this point early on, it's UC only, kinda grindy initially (Got stuck at Jaboro until I did some upgrading) and the animations while solid looking are unspectacular in choreography to the point where I don't care about watching them "ok, plasma rifle, that means there will be a little animation of them shooting a rifle and that's it.  I'll save the 45 seconds between loading and animation". Also the hit rates drive me nuts and battleships having no way to heal if all the enemies gang up on them.

However, on the plus side I enjoy that there's actually some challenge and strategy required, which is nice coming from SRW V, so there's some satisfaction in making it through the stages with all events unlocked. Constantly upgrading your units is fun in a Pokémon collection way. I like all the absurd amount of niche spinoff units and while OYW is a fine start, I'm mostly looking forward to playing the storylines for all these UC non-anime spinoffs like Blue Destiny, Side Stories, etc...since I've never played them and it'll be nice to get a summary of their story.

Just realized since I'm playing it on Vita on my US account I can't get the DLC since it'd be on the JP account. But if I buy the PS4 version I can cross-save my save game and grab the DLC on PS4 and play it there. Since I want Hathaway's Flash and Thunderbolt and I'm not replaying these 5-10 hours, guess I'll go buy that 3000yen PS4 version after all.

Ps. If anyone played this, does the Thunderbolt DLC cover the story from the first 4eps? I saw Hathaway has a stage covering the plot somewhat, but nothing about Thunderbolt besides that the units are in.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #1050 on: May 14, 2017, 08:26:49 PM »
I have the PS4 version of that game as well. I'll get to it...someday.
PS4

Bebpo

« Reply #1051 on: May 15, 2017, 06:41:13 AM »
Man, I just realized I can't cross save to the PS4, fuck. If I try to cross save and upload my Vita save on my US account it will try to connect through US PSN and the game won't exist so I won't be able to upload my save.

I think the only solution would be to back up the save on a PC, switch Vita mem sticks to JP account and copy the save to that and hope it doesn't blow up since the save is from a different account.

Or I just regrind the initial 10 hours again, but I really don't want to do that. Damn.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1052 on: May 15, 2017, 01:00:38 PM »
Aren't you in Japan right now?

Pick up another Vita and add your J-account.   :P
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #1053 on: May 18, 2017, 10:04:49 PM »
Man, G Gen Genesis is a hard af srpg at times. Some stages it doesn't let you use your own team and you have to use the preset ones with 53% hit chances and paper thin armor that can't take two hits. The final stage of 0079 took like 3-4 hours last night.

It was nice playing through 0079's story, been like a decade since I've watched it and was very nostalgic. The end stuff is really really good. One of the best shows ever imo.

Started Igloo. This is neat since I've never seen it. Really enjoy all the VA. Other than the game being real slow and kinda annoyingly hard at times, it's a good game. Even though it's UC only, the amount of series it covers with h detailed story presentation is awesome. I can see why it's UC only.  Maybe they can do a sequel in a few years that's AU only.

Bebpo

« Reply #1054 on: May 22, 2017, 10:46:44 PM »
Ok, so G GEN.

I moved my cross-save to my PS4 copy and THE PS4 VERSION IS SO MUCH BETTER. Like leagues better. It plays about 2x as fast, the map movement is super fast and fairly slick (although still not up to SRW V standard), the on-map animations are quick and the loading is almost instant for the battle animations so it's actually worth watching them sometimes as opposed to the vita version long loads and sluggish movement and animations on the map. Most of my slowness issues are remedied on the PS4. You can definitely tell they made it on PS4 first and then tried to get it working on Vita after. The only downside to the PS4 version is that the battle animations are pre-rendered 30fps moves that look a little faded which contrasts the slick 60fps map stuff (compared to the vita where everything is 30fps so it feels similar).

Got all the DLC. Was reaaaaaaaaaaally cheap for Scamco standards (like Gundam Breaker has $50+ worth of DLC). Most of the stuff was free DLC. Free units, free stages, free pilot! The pay stuff was very reasonably priced at like 100yen ($1) for the Thunderbolt Units, $1 or $2 for the Advance of Zeta units, and then $8 for Hathaway's Flash but that includes the full story scenario. Overall I bought everything at it was only 1200 yen ($12). Pretty sweet. But now I can't cross-save back to the Vita if I want to play on the go since the vita version doesn't have the DLC and won't accept the save. Still, since the vita version sucks I'm ok with just playing it on the PS4 even though it's more of a bathroom break game.

Game-wise, I finished 0079 and moved on to Igloo. I'd never seen Igloo before since 3d anime is awful (although it's improved a ton in the decade since) and I think I'm on the last stage now (stage 5) and Igloo is pretty great. I like how each ep is the story of some weapon test in the background of 0079 and everyone who died in the failed weapons tests ;_;

About half the free DLC units are god-tier broken, so I'm avoiding using anything too much better than what I have already. The only ones better/broken are the Advance of Zeta units, Barbatos and Scramble Gundam with its 500 all stats  :o I'm using Barbatos though because Barbatos is cool. Otherwise my team is like 0 Gundam, Gundam 4, Gundam 5, Gundam 7, Perfect Gundam, Pheonix Gundam unlocked, Full Armor Gundam, Psycho Zaku, and the old DLC OG units. Mostly just 0079 stuff since story-wise that's where I am in the game. The 0 Gundam can upgrade to the 0083 Gundam 1/2/3/Dendro so will be jumping into that stuff soon.

Anyhow, as a Gundam fan this is pretty good on PS4. It's still a little slow, but playing through all these UC stories in shortened form is great. The only ones missing it seems are Giren's Revenge, Advance of Zeta, and Igloo 2, plus Thunderbolt and Origin because they're too new. Also it's a little annoying they're using the Zeta movie version since it's bullshit, but everything is and will be using that for years it seems. Same issue Eva Rebuild is having where good luck seeing Eva TV in anything for another 10 years.

This will last me in my Gundam needs until Gundam Versus in a month-ish.

« Reply #1055 on: October 21, 2017, 06:50:42 PM »
Long time no mecha gaming.

Anyone else playing Gundam Versus?
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #1056 on: October 22, 2017, 12:25:22 AM »
Hey, good to see you posting here again. I thought maybe you got too busy with family/life stuff and stopped gaming. I played a bunch of Versus for the first month or so of the import and still play a match occasionally but all the DLC kinda burned me out already.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1057 on: October 22, 2017, 12:28:41 AM »

I should be...but haven't.   :-[

Then again I haven't been playing much at all lately outside of a handful of titles.
ど助平

« Reply #1058 on: October 22, 2017, 01:34:13 AM »
Yeah, I don’t play a ton of games, but I’ve been messing around with Gundam Versus a bit during my recovery (Bebpo, I had open heart surgery a few weeks ago FYI). Held off on the import and figured I should support the local release which was waiting for me when I got home from the hospital.  Still maining Crossbone X-1 like I did with the PS3 titles. Playing with Delta Plus, Pale Rider and AGE-1 a bit, too.
野球

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1059 on: October 22, 2017, 01:45:13 AM »

Yes, a lot actually.

If you want to play against me. It's Rahxephon91.

I'm a noob and mostly use Exia and/or Barbatos
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 01:25:52 AM by Rahxephon91 »

Bebpo

« Reply #1060 on: October 22, 2017, 03:49:04 AM »
Yeah, I don’t play a ton of games, but I’ve been messing around with Gundam Versus a bit during my recovery (Bebpo, I had open heart surgery a few weeks ago FYI). Held off on the import and figured I should support the local release which was waiting for me when I got home from the hospital.  Still maining Crossbone X-1 like I did with the PS3 titles. Playing with Delta Plus, Pale Rider and AGE-1 a bit, too.

Oh shit, the surgery go well? Hope you have a speedy recovery.

« Reply #1061 on: October 24, 2017, 12:09:17 PM »

Yes, a lot actually.

If you want to play against me. It's Rahxephon91.

I'm a noob and mostly use Exia and/or Barbatos

Cool, I'll add you. Even though I've been playing this series since the original on the Dreamcast, I'm not very good.
野球

Looks like they're adding Atlas Gundam to coincide with the theatrical release of Bandit Flower.
野球

Bebpo

Me too, I've held off on watching Thunderbolt S2 for the eventual movie version. Cool to know its out soon. Really like the movie version of S1.

I’ve got the Blu-ray of Bandit Flower on order from Amazon JP, can’t wait.
野球

Re: The Bore Mecha Gaming Thread: Gundam, Super Robot Wars, Armored Core and More!
« Reply #1065 on: November 08, 2017, 05:10:02 PM »
Played some SD Gundam G Generation Genesis on the PS4 last night, did all but one of the 08th MS Team missions...

The game doesn't auto save. Fuck.
野球

Bebpo

Re: The Bore Mecha Gaming Thread: Gundam, Super Robot Wars, Armored Core and More!
« Reply #1066 on: November 08, 2017, 07:27:00 PM »
At least you can just move on to the next series instead of having to redo it all.

I bailed on the game a little past 08th. I like it, but it's just too slow and dull :(

« Reply #1067 on: November 10, 2017, 06:11:14 PM »
Jumped back into SRWV with the goal of beating it before the end of the year.

There’s a mission revolving around natto.  :lol
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #1068 on: November 10, 2017, 07:50:17 PM »
Yup, I remember that. Good ole' Might Gaine

Since it's November, probably time to announce another SRW in the next month or two. 3rd OGs most likely for 2019.

« Reply #1069 on: November 10, 2017, 09:56:56 PM »
Never watched Might Gaine before, so it's all kinda random and silly. But that's SRW!

Should be due for a new retail console Gundam title, too. Battle Operation 2 is F2P so it doesn't count.
野球

« Reply #1070 on: November 12, 2017, 06:47:13 PM »
Slowly but surely getting through SRW V, it will be done before the end of the year. Just finished Scenario 23 (~50 scenarios?), all the alternate universes and histories with all the characters. This non Mufti Hathaway and the "not CCA Amuro" Amuro are fun. And it looks like Eva is here too with the red Earth and mention of Second Impact.
野球

« Reply #1071 on: November 21, 2017, 12:27:57 PM »
45 scenarios down...
野球

Beezy

« Reply #1072 on: November 27, 2017, 01:11:33 PM »
I got a PS4 last Thursday and all I've been playing is Gundam Versus. Who else here has it? I need friends.

« Reply #1073 on: November 27, 2017, 01:59:17 PM »
I've got it, PSN name is Distantmantra.

48 scenarios complete on SRW V. Three left. Didn't get much playtime over the Thanksgiving holiday.
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #1074 on: November 27, 2017, 02:09:15 PM »
I got a PS4 last Thursday and all I've been playing is Gundam Versus. Who else here has it? I need friends.

I've got it but I suck and don't play much. If we set a specific time I'll join up.

« Reply #1075 on: November 27, 2017, 02:10:56 PM »
I also suck at the Versus series, but I still love it.
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #1076 on: November 27, 2017, 02:12:16 PM »
Yup. Lotta fun and good music.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1077 on: November 27, 2017, 02:31:37 PM »

Yo, add me.  I've barely played it and would love to get on with some Bore peeps.
ど助平

« Reply #1078 on: November 27, 2017, 04:35:01 PM »
Gotta get through these last few scenarios in SRWV and then I'm up for some Gundamu action.
野球

Beezy

« Reply #1079 on: November 28, 2017, 01:40:35 AM »
I added distantmantra and I already had Bebpo. Lyte, what's your PSN name? Mine is Ji3eezy. I'll be on tomorrow night around 8 or 9pm.