Author Topic: The Bore Mecha Gaming Thread: Gundam, Super Robot Wars, Armored Core and More!  (Read 201781 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: The Bore Mecha Gaming Thread: Gundam, Super Robot Wars, Armored Core and More!
« Reply #1200 on: November 30, 2018, 12:43:45 PM »
SRW is at its best when epic awesome shit is happening and vocal songs start playing and it's like HOT BLOODED PASSIOOOOON as you re-enact the super robo punches as they're thrown in game.

Replace "SRW" with "Dragonball Fighterz" (using the anime soundtrack packs) and it's the same thing!
:heh
ど助平

Re: The Bore Mecha Gaming Thread: Gundam, Super Robot Wars, Armored Core and More!
« Reply #1201 on: November 30, 2018, 01:01:23 PM »
Oh yeah, Square Enix released a new arcade mecha combat game called StarWing Paradox while I was over there. Has character designs by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto. Never played it but watched some people trying it out.
野球

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #1203 on: December 02, 2018, 01:51:01 PM »
double post sorry i was just so excited for the hot machine violence bless up

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #1204 on: December 02, 2018, 06:02:32 PM »
dat alex iglesias art  :mouf

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #1205 on: December 02, 2018, 06:04:41 PM »
also bless up to the king crab being the lead title mech

crab mechs are the best mechs

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #1206 on: December 16, 2018, 06:09:45 PM »

this came out anybody try it

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1207 on: December 24, 2018, 06:56:59 PM »
Gideon Zhi released a translation for Super Robot Wars Gaiden - Elemental Lords

http://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=srwg

Gideon Zhi released a translation for Super Robot Wars EX

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/4100/
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

« Reply #1209 on: December 28, 2018, 12:04:07 PM »
I picked up the Full Metal Panic SRPG for the PS4 with some Amazon cash, played a little bit it comes off as a cheap anime version of Front Mission made by the Super Robot Wars dev team.
野球

New Gundam game announcement on the 21st. Trailer debuts in the Gundam Battle Operation 2 lobby, so guessing it's gonna at least be on the PS4 and related to UC.
野球

Bebpo

Wonder if they’ll do a Gundam vs 2 at some point.

kingv

Mah Gundam Bael I built and painted... working on the weathering now.

Bebpo

« Reply #1213 on: February 14, 2019, 02:34:32 AM »

For those of you that got the Asia release of SRW X/V, during the character dialogues outside battle does it show up half and half with the Japanese dialogue and then English below it? Or is it English only?

« Reply #1214 on: February 18, 2019, 12:23:38 PM »

For those of you that got the Asia release of SRW X/V, during the character dialogues outside battle does it show up half and half with the Japanese dialogue and then English below it? Or is it English only?

English only. Those are just quick subtitled videos of the Japanese game for promotional purposes.
野球

I started playing the Full Metal Panic! PS4 game the other day. Plays a lot like SRW but instead of a grid system you have a circular range of motion that you can move each AS during your turn and terrain plays a factor. You can target individual parts of the enemy units (head, arms, legs, body), but ultimately if you destroy the body you destroy the whole thing.

I've only done the tutorial prologue (4 mission summary of the original series) and the first mission which appears to be based on the recent series. Not bad.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 02:10:35 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

kingv

I’ve never seen full metal panic but have some of the more kits.

They have a cool design.

Edit: Screenshots of the snow make the series look full weeb.

I’ve never seen full metal panic but have some of the more kits.

They have a cool design.

Edit: Screenshots of the snow make the series look full weeb.

The Fumoffu! series is all high school shenanigans which you can avoid. The first series, Second Raid and Invisible Victory are pretty standard mecha anime shows.
野球

kingv

Ah, ok. Thanks.

I saw they are on Prime so might check them out.

Bebpo

Got my import copy of SRW T on Switch.
As much as I talk shit on the lesser effort entries with weak new title additions, SRW team is good at timing, after a year since the last one I'm always in the mood to play a new SRW. It's like yearly comfort gaming. Plus being on Switch is nice since I prefer SRW portable. I remember on Z3-1 & Z3-2 double dipping and buying both the PS4 version and Vita version with cross-save to play on tv and in bed. This gets me the same thing for half the price so I'm happy.

Hopefully G Gundam makes this one good. Haven't played a SRW with G Gundam before since I started at Alpha 3 and only went back to play Alpha 2 but never played through MX (PS2 version is dated, PSP port is sucky). I have zero expectations of Bebop even though I love the show because it's just a couple dinky fighter ships. Harlock should be neat. I've never actually seen any Harlock anime so this will be my first Harlock story. GunxSword was nice on DS, will be nice to have here in better visuals. Gaogaigar is gonna be zzzzzzzzzzzz and I love GGG. PS3 sprites still hold up and they just redid all the GGG sprites in the latest 3DS game and they were boring but clean and fine. This will just be a nicer version of that and GGG TV again.

Rayearth should be neat! I never played/watched Rayearth. Maziner Infinity was a terrible movie with meh CG mecha designs and they're going with the CG look here yuck.

I'm heading to Kauai in a week so I held off on ordering my copy of T until I get back but I'm also ready for some more SRW goodness.
野球

Bebpo

Man, the animation is really really choppy/stiff in the first units. Like giving me Z3 flashbacks. Great Mazinger animates awful especially coming from last 2 games of Mazinger Zero/Great Emperor G/Mazinkaiser's great animation. At least the old school Mazinger theme is back.

Also is it just me or does Big Volfogg (~2:12 in the vid) look weird?

Like this his how he looked in the last 3ds game which is more like how I remember him:

Bebpo

Also, so like Mazinger Infinity came out in Japanese theaters in January 2018, and it's March 2019 and it's not only a set of units with full animations in this game but part of the storyline. Normally SRW games are like 2-3 years after the anime because the dev cycle. These X/V/T games have to be like 12 month dev cycle games, which would explain a lot of the shortcuts in animation and asset re-use.

I really hope 2020 is the year of the next big 3 year dev cycle licensed SRW game with IBO and the big hitters.
...and OG3 if it doesn't arrive this fall. They did OG2 and Z3 the same year before so either OG3 hits late 2019 or 2020 we get both imo. I can't see them riding another year of these kinda lower budget games.

Bebpo

First time G Gundam makes an appearance in SRW sprites since MX in 2004 and...it's post-story  :'(
I mean I get it from a realistic perspective since these are clearly budget titles to hold over until the big SRW games, and doing G Gundam story means animating a whole lotta sprites, but still.

I also realized what's throwing me off about some the sprites of the new units in T: They're the most vertical proportioned sprites ever in SRW. I honestly don't think it looks very good. I mean we've come a long way from the fat body chibis (which I still think look good), but there has to be a better middle ground than weird ass human proportion tall and lanky mecha.

Bebpo

I stumbled across some gameplay videos of the new upcoming G Generations game with Iron-Blood Orphans/SEED/Wing/00, made me want to bust out G Generations Genesis to see if I wanna pick that up when it's out. Genesis is ok, but it's so.goddamn.slow. compared to SRW. I can't deal with it.

I did Cross Dimensions 0079 which was only 2 maps! But it still took me like 2 hours+
Pixie Gundam was kinda neat tho

If they ever speed G Gen back up I'd be up for giving it another run, but ugh. Too slowww. It's also a pain in the ass to get actual pilots and using units without their official pilot aka without their official soundtrack is zzz. And the original units are so OP it's kinda ridiculous in a UC game.

Bebpo

Hey Mr. Gundam, you ever mess with expert mode on the last few SRWs?

I never used it in the previous ones, but I'm trying to play in Expert in SRW T since I like that it gets rid of the SR point challenges which are often a pain in the butt. But maaaan, I'm like 15 stages in and on hard route + expert mode, it's actually pretty rough. I'd imagine later on when you have good seishin/spirit abilities it's more manageable but with none of your tanks having the iron wall 1/8th damage seishin and paper thin defense + even real robots having trouble hitting real robot enemies without using accuracy seishin, gotta take it a lot more slow with a lot of healing and EN refills and support defenses.

These maps are taking me like 60-90 mins each and I'm only in the 10s, they feel like playing the final 5 or so maps of a normal SRW game. While I do like the added challenge and actually having to think and move units around, I'm gonna change back to normal from this point on just because I'd rather a map take like 30-40 mins than 60-90 mins in SRW. I just don't have the time for the latter.

Anyhow, map 14 spoilers

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The sprite for Master Asia's unit is pretty nice.
[close]

Bebpo

Also kinda random but with BX (2015) and T (2019) both doing Gaogaigar TV 2nd half, I get the feeling we’re going to get GGG Final again in a game pretty soon. Maybe it’ll be in the next mainline series. GGG Final & Gurren Lagan/Diebuster all feel like they’d fit together.

kingv

Do these super robot wars games playbsort of like a tactics or fire emblem type of game?

Bebpo

They play like an srpg with no terrain, so imagine just FE with a big open field every map. The tactics are about using units and skills to deal with the enemy types. It’s also different from most srpgs because instead of your attacks being MP based, they are morale based so as the fight goes on and you attack more and get attacked more your stronger moves become available.

There’s also some emphasis and support defense an support attack from neighboring units. Also energy EN management and refuelers as almost everything costs EN.

Easiest way to see how they play is to try one. They all play pretty much the same.

Bebpo

Got to Rayearth/Dunbine movie (or was it an OAV? Idk never seen it). Whenever I see Rayearth I just think of that Working Designs Sega Saturn game. I never played it but I remember it coming out because I was playing Lunar and stuff and following all WD's releases back then. It's cool seeing it here. It's also CLAMP which is cool.

It's too bad they didn't put Escaflowne in this one because it would've definitely fit with the isekai arc here with Rayearth & Dunbine. Would've fit last game with Wataru too. Too bad.

I'm about 25 missions into SRWT. V is still my favorite of the PS4 games, but it's fun. I like how involved Bebop is with all the other characters, and seeing Crossbone and Harlock interact is pretty awesome.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 05:12:42 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

Bebpo

Got to ~map 20 myself. I put it aside to play through World of FF and some FF14 and Sekiro stuff, but back now.

I'm really liking Rayearth. I never watched the anime or read the manga even though it's CLAMP and I've read most of their stuff. It's nice having like a good story with good characters. I also lol at the neighboring kingdom's mechs being named after 90s cars. GO FTO, GO NSX! lollll

Expelled from Paradise main character seems a lot like Cross Ange's main character where they're a jerk but soften up eventually. Modern mecha anime is so bad.

I'm liking the Dunbine OAV plot, I haven't seen much of Dunbine but it feels like a SEED Destiny thing but done better here with Shion being a rash kid compared to wised Shou. Enjoying this more than the last time they did Dunbine.

And Gun X Sword is great as always. Not an amazing show, but Van's such a great MC and DAN OF TUESDAY is cool mech so they work really well. Would like to see Gun x Sword stick around in more titles.

I'm on Map 33 right now, they've finally introduced CCA so I'm hoping for some clever banter between Spike and Gyunei (both Koichi Yamadera).

I watched Expelled from Paradise on the flight to Kauai in April since it's only a movie and was going to be in the game. It's on Netflix and not bad if you're stuck on a plane for 90 minutes.

One thing I like is that all your pilots are available for use in the Sub Plan Training between missions. Previously you couldn't train pilots you'd used on the previous mission. Ace Pilots ahoy!
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Expelled From Paradise was a fun movie.  The main character is less of a jerk and more just ignorant to being human- here's a good synopsis:

Angela Balzac is an agent at the space station DEVA, whose inhabitants have no physical bodies, their minds digitized and processed into a virtual reality environment. After failing to track down the hacker known as "Frontier Setter", who had infiltrated DEVA's systems dozens of times to gather allies for his cause with no success, she is tasked to look for him down on Earth, now a barren planet where less than 2% of the human population lives. After being given an organic body and sent to the surface, Angela meets Dingo, her contact on Earth, who cuts off all communications with her base, in order to prevent Frontier Setter from discovering their location as well, despite her protests.

So I think it's more like she's too dependent on all things DEVA and learns what it means to be a person in the real world.  Both mental and physical since she had no idea what it was like to be tired or what it feels like to get sick.  That kind of stuff.
ど助平

Expelled From Paradise was a fun movie.  The main character is less of a jerk and more just ignorant to being human- here's a good synopsis:

Angela Balzac is an agent at the space station DEVA, whose inhabitants have no physical bodies, their minds digitized and processed into a virtual reality environment. After failing to track down the hacker known as "Frontier Setter", who had infiltrated DEVA's systems dozens of times to gather allies for his cause with no success, she is tasked to look for him down on Earth, now a barren planet where less than 2% of the human population lives. After being given an organic body and sent to the surface, Angela meets Dingo, her contact on Earth, who cuts off all communications with her base, in order to prevent Frontier Setter from discovering their location as well, despite her protests.

So I think it's more like she's too dependent on all things DEVA and learns what it means to be a person in the real world.  Both mental and physical since she had no idea what it was like to be tired or what it feels like to get sick.  That kind of stuff.

The game retreads the movie plot pretty much point for point and talks about those personality issues, but now she's also supposed to assassinate Chirico from Votoms as well as track down Frontier Setter.
野球

kingv

Angela Balzac?

Bebpo

Up there with Quattro Bajeena.

Balzac was a novelist and playwright, so no, not really.
野球

Love that Special Scenario 3 is a followup with the OG characters from SRWV.
野球

kingv

Ordered SRWV today. Been wanting to try one for a while, but didn’t want to pay full price.

Someone posted about the sale on playasia so got it for about $40 shipped.

Bebpo

Yeah, I'd say V is the best for Full Metal Panic Anime + Manga storyline & Gundam Unicorn with best quality animations. Also Yamato 2199. Also Eva Rebuild 1-3. The only downside of V imo is that it sticks too close to Yamato 2199 and like a good chunk of the maps are just following all the eps from that. Otherwise that was a great entry. Mazinger Zero is sweet too.

X is good too, mostly for Wataru. Nadia's ok but there just isn't that much story/units for a game like SRW so it's not a big part of it. Mazinger Zero is even better here. Gurren Lagann is good if you haven't played a SRW with GL before. Would've been better if they did the first half of GL as well though.

T is good so far, maybe liking it better than X thanks to SPACE PIRATE HARLOCK, and Rayearth, and Dunbine OAV. (While I sorta enjoy Cowboy Bebop, it really needs another couple of units or couple more animations because it just feels very meh with a tiny ship sprite doing some shooting with buddy tiny ships and that's all there is). Gun x Sword is good too. It's a little bit of a shame that Diebuster wasn't in this with touched up animations like V/X/T have been doing to Z3 sprites that were generally not as good as they should've been. I get why it's hard to do Gunbuster & Diebuster in the same game since story-wise Diebuster takes place hundreds/thousands of years after Gunbuster but T is doing Dunbine and Dunbine OAV and Dunbine OAV takes place 700 years after Dunbine and

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The main character is a reincarnation of Sho who is now also in this
[close]

So I think they could've made Diebuster work. In fact, if T had Diebuster I might've put it up with V, but doing all of FMP manga story in 1 game and Unicorn and Eva Rebuild 1-3 and Yamato is pretty hard to beat, so I think V is still the best of these 3.

Himu

Yamato and FMP are in SRW? I've never played an SRW tbh.

Love mecha, but unfortunately Transformers don't count. :( They're just giant robots because they're sentient and can't be controlled.
IYKYK

Himu

#makemechagreatagain

https://twitter.com/omega11_fox2/status/1027102916010696704

I didn't know there was an Armored Core V on last gen systems :o
IYKYK

Bebpo

Yamato and FMP are in SRW? I've never played an SRW tbh.

Love mecha, but unfortunately Transformers don't count. :( They're just giant robots because they're sentient and can't be controlled.

You'd probably enjoy SRW as a visual novel to play out all your favorite mecha animes with cool sprites and music. Stuff like FMP is cool because they go beyond the anime and basically animate with voices and music the rest of the manga which at the time you couldn't get anywhere else. They did the same thing for Linebarrels on one of the 3DS games where they used the manga storyline instead of the anime storyline and the manga storyline was pretty cool.

I feel like you would not like the gameplay. There is strategy involved in the maps in terms of unit setup, placement and MP usage (although these new games have MP regen on everyone when you used to have to save up and buy it as a skill, so it's hard to get permanently fucked anymore in a map), but for the most part these are simple gameplay games and they're enjoyed more for the experience than any deep strategy.

Himu

I didn't realize SRW was a VN. I thought it was mostly strategy. I do love the sprites and I do love me some mecha.

Any suggestions with the Front Mission series? I have played 1 and 3. What about the rest? And are there any other good mecha strategy games?
IYKYK

Bebpo

I only played 3/4. I tried the DS remake of 1 but couldn't stick with it. I have 5 in my backlog.

Not sure. I really didn't like Battletech when launched because it was so friggen slow. They patched it a lot and there are some mods so idk about now. I was looking for something more like Front Mission and it wasn't. SRW definitely is not like Front Mission. The closest series would be Fire Emblem but with less strategy than FE. If a SRW is harder than an FE it's because the stats are just bs in SRW with bs hit % and dodge %, not because the strategy is ever going to be tougher in a SRW than an FE.

SRW games are split into 3 parts.

Unit/pilot/equipment upgrading section -> VN Intro -> Battle map (with FE style animations on/off/FF options for each attack) -> VN Outro -> Back to Unit/pilot/equipment selection screen. On average these days the VN parts before a map will be about 5-10 minutes, the battle map will be like 20-30 mins, and the VN outtro will be like 5 mins for each stage. There's about 50 stages per game with branching and about 70-80 stages total per SRW game. They take about 50 hours.

The VN portion is mostly just reading dialogue cutscenes with a choice to make very rarely (ie. go with Space Group or go with Ground Group).
野球

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

kingv

This game looks super cool.

It does look cool. I love they're embracing the "my soul burns with a fiery passion" Super Robot cheese.

Up to Scenario 41 on SRWT, and they just announced a 20 scenario DLC expansion pack. I guess I know what game I'm playing all summer.
野球

Bebpo

It looks cool but I'm still kinda hesitant on games made by Chinese developers. I'm just so used to Japanese/Western devs and I've never played a really good Chinese-developed game yet and sorta associate Chinese developers with Mobile, so I'm not sold yet. If it's good I'll play it though.

It does look cool. I love they're embracing the "my soul burns with a fiery passion" Super Robot cheese.

Up to Scenario 41 on SRWT, and they just announced a 20 scenario DLC expansion pack. I guess I know what game I'm playing all summer.

Wait, they announced 20 scenario DLC for T that is not just the 20 or so DLC stages that take place during the game and are all fluff? Like a real expansion with new content? This is different.

It looks cool but I'm still kinda hesitant on games made by Chinese developers. I'm just so used to Japanese/Western devs and I've never played a really good Chinese-developed game yet and sorta associate Chinese developers with Mobile, so I'm not sold yet. If it's good I'll play it though.

Wait, they announced 20 scenario DLC for T that is not just the 20 or so DLC stages that take place during the game and are all fluff? Like a real expansion with new content? This is different.

Real expansion pack that brings back original X and V units and characters. Came out today.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 11:14:11 AM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Hmm. 

Overall the game is fantastic. The gameplay is smooth, the art is flawless (imo), the story is presented well, lots of upgrades to purchase and unlock (like other weapons and stat boosts). There are some translation issues with the dialog but you can fill in the intent as some words just don't make sense in the flow of the conversation.

However, the game is missing what was advertised. It does not include any co-op or additional modes.

Proof: http://www.rocketpunch.cn/game.html
There is no arcade mode. There is no survival mode. A large portion of what this game is advertised as having at launch literally does not exist. This is the only real flaw with this game and is significant enough for me to leave a negative review as the developers are not answering where this missing content is.

I have every intention of changing this review the moment these modes are added to the game as, again, the game is flawless except for this one very serious problem.
ど助平

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
It looks really good! Hopefully they clear up the modes thing.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/257030/Project_Nimbus_Complete_Edition/

this is coming to switch as well, they just updated to a more recent version of Unreal.

https://twitter.com/GameTomoJP/status/1128676416243953664

Bebpo

Real expansion pack that brings back original X and V units and characters. Came out today.

I'm guessing there's no new licensed anime units and animations? If not, I'll skip, already got enough of X/V OG units in their own games.

No new licensed IP. Just the stuff from base SRWT.

Starwing Paradox was such an amazing game  :mouf

The weapon types feel so good, though it sucks it is tied to RNG.

Played some ranked games with their game card and had an absolute blast carrying the team as a fast nu-mecha pilot.

Only fault is that it has one map with various times of day, but the rest was amazing.

Edit: In terms of gameplay, the gunplay was really satisfying. There were melee weapons, revolvers, snipers, machine guns, gatling guns, laser canons, missiles, homing bubbles, shields, shotguns... lots to play around with. The arcades in general there were insane, and it sucks to see so many cabinets not making their way to the US.

I tried that out while I was in Kyoto back in November. Pretty cool setup.
野球

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 01:11:24 AM by D3RANG3D »

Finished up Scenario 51 in SRWT last night, three to go.
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Hardcore Mecha is getting a physical (Asian) English language PS4 release...for only $19.99!  Play-Asia has a pre-order page up.
ど助平