Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3019537 times)

Coax

Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #18000 on: July 27, 2017, 05:03:52 PM »
I have received my HD Retrovision cables for the Sega Genesis, the quality upgrade is major! There are
Compatibility issues tho -  your lcd needs to support 240p, and a lot of sets simply don't. My LG and my el cheapp Vizio didnt like it, but my samsung did. I'm on my cellphone right now so sorry if it comes out all wrong

Here's a before/after pic I did using my cell phone. Results may vary
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Kinda siding with vasoline-o-vision on this one. Smoother skin, more natural face, primitive AA, larger bosom  :doge

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18001 on: July 27, 2017, 08:58:50 PM »
Wow, even the colors are different.
:leon
That's a pretty big upgrade.
ど助平

Bulleta©™®

• is probably playing some game
« Reply #18002 on: July 28, 2017, 07:38:49 AM »
Being able to farm the 300 difficulty Geosageno guy for (hopefully) major dark orbs is fun!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 09:15:55 AM by Bulleta©™® »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18003 on: July 29, 2017, 02:59:12 PM »
are 100% of levels in mario maker designed to be troll levels?
pcp

Bulleta©™®

« Reply #18004 on: July 29, 2017, 08:12:41 PM »
If not 100%, then 95%+.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #18005 on: July 29, 2017, 08:14:37 PM »
The other 5% are super-easy joke levels.
©@©™

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18006 on: July 29, 2017, 09:44:52 PM »
NO ONE UNDERSTANDS THE MUSHROOM KINGDOM
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18007 on: July 30, 2017, 05:46:48 PM »
Hypothetically speaking, if I owned a copy of Silent Hill 2 for both PS2 and Xbox which would you say is the better version
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18008 on: July 30, 2017, 05:52:20 PM »
as long as the ps2 version is the greatest hits one in pretty sure they're the same. might wanna go with ps2 just in case there was weirdness with the xbox version but I'm pretty sure they were both alike.
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18009 on: July 30, 2017, 06:05:04 PM »
I wouldnt be caught dead with Greatest Hits versions so Xbox it is
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18010 on: July 30, 2017, 06:55:51 PM »
what did you do for dmc3
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18011 on: July 30, 2017, 07:13:18 PM »
Played the regular copy as god intended
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18012 on: July 30, 2017, 08:33:55 PM »
:| no vergil? you fucked up son

ofc doesn't matter anymore since you can just get the hd version
pcp

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18013 on: August 01, 2017, 12:13:45 AM »

etiolate

« Reply #18014 on: August 01, 2017, 09:02:33 PM »

New GW2 Expansion. Hitting Sept 22. Preview weekend on the 11th.

Bebpo

« Reply #18015 on: August 02, 2017, 08:11:23 AM »
Persona 3 Dancing Vita/Ps4
Persona 5 Dancing Vita/Ps4
Persona Q2 3DS

2018 spring for dancing games, not sure when Q2 releases.

Can't wait to dance some more!

Bebpo

« Reply #18016 on: August 02, 2017, 08:32:00 AM »

P3 MC looks soooo good!

Bebpo

« Reply #18017 on: August 02, 2017, 09:01:30 AM »
Very!  :lol

archie4208

« Reply #18018 on: August 02, 2017, 09:07:26 AM »
I watched the concert.

Lyn is so fucking good.  :lawd

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #18019 on: August 03, 2017, 10:24:17 AM »
http://www.finalfantasyxv.com/comrades

So, uh... this is a thing.

It's like they did nothing with the combat system to make it multiplayer!

"IT'S A BETA!!!!"</defenders>

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18020 on: August 03, 2017, 04:07:01 PM »
the creator of earthworm jim was on twitter being an asshat today, so i thought hey maybe i can give him a mediocre burn by sending him a pic of a smashed up copy of his game. decided to check ebay for prices first just in case and holy fucking shit the sega cd version is going for over $150 what in the fuck. i mean i picked it up at a used game store for like $3 back in the day what the fuck are collectors doing jesus christ
pcp

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #18021 on: August 03, 2017, 04:36:08 PM »
GW expansion looks interesting, but i doubt it will rekindle my interest in the game.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #18022 on: August 03, 2017, 06:36:40 PM »
Dude's an idiot but Earthworm Jim is awesome.
As is Neverhood. I also have a soft spot for Skull Monkeys. Mosly on account of the cutscenes and Terry S. Taylor's music though.

Bebpo

« Reply #18023 on: August 03, 2017, 09:28:16 PM »
Yeah I really like the Neverhood, but hearing about him kept me off of the kickstarter one, which turned out ok because apparently it sucked.
But yeah I'm torn when shitty people make good art. Like with Dragon Quest, Sugiyama is a crazy right wing war crimes denier extremist, but I still like DQ? And I still enjoy DQ music when it's good? Like at what point does it cross the line. The Neverhood sequel kickstarter had some good threads about how yeah the head guy's an asshole but there's good people on the team and the money is paying them to employ them and make the game, but head dude is also getting $$$ off it. Like if some guy made a game that was amazing but he was using the funds to ban muslims or steal rights from women or LGBT people, then you wouldn't want to buy their stuff and have the money go to it. Definitely a grey area on enjoying art made (or partly made) by bad people.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18024 on: August 03, 2017, 10:08:35 PM »
just go with piracy, the victimless crime
pcp

Bulleta©™®

« Reply #18025 on: August 03, 2017, 10:29:38 PM »
Yeah, his model is well done.

How upset are people that Persona Q2 is on 3DS instead of Switch?  :lol

I have a streamable 3ds, no desire to get a switch, so not upset at all.  :hulk

Bulleta©™®

« Reply #18026 on: August 03, 2017, 10:31:55 PM »
Yeah I really like the Neverhood, but hearing about him kept me off of the kickstarter one, which turned out ok because apparently it sucked.
But yeah I'm torn when shitty people make good art. Like with Dragon Quest, Sugiyama is a crazy right wing war crimes denier extremist, but I still like DQ? And I still enjoy DQ music when it's good? Like at what point does it cross the line. The Neverhood sequel kickstarter had some good threads about how yeah the head guy's an asshole but there's good people on the team and the money is paying them to employ them and make the game, but head dude is also getting $$$ off it. Like if some guy made a game that was amazing but he was using the funds to ban muslims or steal rights from women or LGBT people, then you wouldn't want to buy their stuff and have the money go to it. Definitely a grey area on enjoying art made (or partly made) by bad people.

If it's a game made by 1 person who's an asshole, then yeah. Sugiyama isn't the only person working on DQ so I'd give the other people a pass. You could play the game on mute if you wanted to, I guess. Plus he's like 98 years old now or something.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18027 on: August 03, 2017, 11:04:27 PM »
the creator of earthworm jim was on twitter being an asshat today, so i thought hey maybe i can give him a mediocre burn by sending him a pic of a smashed up copy of his game. decided to check ebay for prices first just in case and holy fucking shit the sega cd version is going for over $150 what in the fuck. i mean i picked it up at a used game store for like $3 back in the day what the fuck are collectors doing jesus christ

Feels like at this point, everything from two generations back and further is "rare."  Prices get jacked the hell up on just about everything.  It's almost as if someone just decided one day in the late 2000s that suddenly everything should be super-expensive and everyone else immediately raised the prices up. :lol  But hey, I can't complain-- I've been able to sell stuff I paid a few bucks for for as high as $300-$400.   Funded my desktop PC purchase last year by selling a handful of titles.

I worked at a used/import game store from 1996-2005 and so much of the stuff that goes for high amounts was always in stock, for decent or low prices.  Fast forward a few years after that and suddenly games that nobody gave two shits about and never bought, like Hagane on SNES, are crazy high-priced.  The local Best Buy used to have stacks of unsold copies of Earthbound for $10, for YEARS, sitting there.  I remember picking up Snatcher for $9 used in the late 90s and even some NeoGeo stuff wasn't as insane as it became until collectors deemed everything for it super-rare and prices skyrocketed.
ど助平

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18028 on: August 03, 2017, 11:22:31 PM »
yeah i bought tons of stuff in the late 90s and early 00s especially bc everything was dirt cheap. you'd go to a flea market or garage sale and you were guaranteed to run across someone's old game collection, just like everyone had an old record collection or whatever. stuff started getting really cutthroat after awhile tho, especially after craiglist. i knew a guy who'd flip stuff for a living and he'd always talk about how ruthless people would get regarding videogames, even calling up people that advertised games at upcoming garage sales and bugging them until the person would allow them to check out the games early. it wouldn't surprise me if a ton of old games are now mostly in the hands of resellers; that's the only way charging $50 for a common loose nes game would make sense to me.
pcp

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #18029 on: August 04, 2017, 06:31:43 AM »
the creator of earthworm jim was on twitter being an asshat today, so i thought hey maybe i can give him a mediocre burn by sending him a pic of a smashed up copy of his game.
all those old interplay guys self-burned themselves back when they agreed to this ad:

David Perry has always been a bit of a weird egomanic though, but unlike Romero and all those other guys who got big off actual talent in the late 1990s but never adjusted he never really had his public comeuppance happen. Everyone wrote off Messiah and Sacrifice as too ahead of their time. And then, he tried to make himself the third main person designing The Matrix universe. And his "career" ended recently with him working on a game with Michael Jackson until his death and then selling off Gaikai to Sony for half a billion.

He even piggy backed on Dunkey and the Wachowski's work to produce this masterpiece last year:

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #18030 on: August 04, 2017, 11:05:53 AM »
Behold, Nintendo's flagship eSports attempt, on a network that will soon stop being free.

https://octo.im/2017/07/31/splatoon-2-online-multiplayer-analysis/

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #18031 on: August 04, 2017, 11:08:07 AM »
Wonder Boy III Limited Run sold out in like ~1 minute. The only thing worse than jacked up prices for old games is artificially creating demand for something by making so few copies and then hyping the hell out of it.
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18032 on: August 04, 2017, 11:26:53 AM »
Its called Limited Run for a reason. There's also a second batch that goes up at 6PM EST

You can still buy it off eBay from someone, most of the people who buy these just re-sell them.

Also you can buy it digitally, its not gone forever
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18033 on: August 04, 2017, 11:41:07 AM »
You can also buy a multi-language Asian version from Play-Asia for $24 if you want a physical copy.

I got a CE from Limited Run.  Don't usually have a problem buying stuff from them.  Am not on a shit Internet connection and make sure to log onto the site before 10:00 AM to grab a copy once the time changes.
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #18034 on: August 04, 2017, 12:25:14 PM »
Behold, Nintendo's flagship eSports attempt, on a network that will soon stop being free.

https://octo.im/2017/07/31/splatoon-2-online-multiplayer-analysis/

(Image removed from quote.)
from that article, right after he checks the map, watch the yellow players first shot:
https://twitter.com/Artless_AA/status/891281195459166208

:dead

benjipwns

« Reply #18035 on: August 04, 2017, 12:29:28 PM »
Article also helps explain why when GBEast did some Splatoon 2 local MP, where they were all in the same room sitting right within three feet of each other with their Switches, Dan kept getting connection hiccups and then disconnected and then it started happening to Abby too. (Alex was the only one with a docked Switch.)

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18036 on: August 04, 2017, 01:37:04 PM »
the creator of earthworm jim was on twitter being an asshat today, so i thought hey maybe i can give him a mediocre burn by sending him a pic of a smashed up copy of his game.
all those old interplay guys self-burned themselves back when they agreed to this ad:
(Image removed from quote.)

David Perry has always been a bit of a weird egomanic though, but unlike Romero and all those other guys who got big off actual talent in the late 1990s but never adjusted he never really had his public comeuppance happen. Everyone wrote off Messiah and Sacrifice as too ahead of their time. And then, he tried to make himself the third main person designing The Matrix universe. And his "career" ended recently with him working on a game with Michael Jackson until his death and then selling off Gaikai to Sony for half a billion.

He even piggy backed on Dunkey and the Wachowski's work to produce this masterpiece last year:

i had this game for a minute haha, also his daughter is an actress?

https://twitter.com/dperry/status/884659789594206208

benjipwns

« Reply #18037 on: August 04, 2017, 07:00:41 PM »

Feels like at this point, everything from two generations back and further is "rare."  Prices get jacked the hell up on just about everything.  It's almost as if someone just decided one day in the late 2000s that suddenly everything should be super-expensive and everyone else immediately raised the prices up. :lol  But hey, I can't complain-- I've been able to sell stuff I paid a few bucks for for as high as $300-$400.   Funded my desktop PC purchase last year by selling a handful of titles.

I worked at a used/import game store from 1996-2005 and so much of the stuff that goes for high amounts was always in stock, for decent or low prices.  Fast forward a few years after that and suddenly games that nobody gave two shits about and never bought, like Hagane on SNES, are crazy high-priced.  The local Best Buy used to have stacks of unsold copies of Earthbound for $10, for YEARS, sitting there.  I remember picking up Snatcher for $9 used in the late 90s and even some NeoGeo stuff wasn't as insane as it became until collectors deemed everything for it super-rare and prices skyrocketed.
yeah i bought tons of stuff in the late 90s and early 00s especially bc everything was dirt cheap. you'd go to a flea market or garage sale and you were guaranteed to run across someone's old game collection, just like everyone had an old record collection or whatever. stuff started getting really cutthroat after awhile tho, especially after craiglist. i knew a guy who'd flip stuff for a living and he'd always talk about how ruthless people would get regarding videogames, even calling up people that advertised games at upcoming garage sales and bugging them until the person would allow them to check out the games early. it wouldn't surprise me if a ton of old games are now mostly in the hands of resellers; that's the only way charging $50 for a common loose nes game would make sense to me.
this and the news about the $2 million Wu Tang album guy made me look up two games that are actually rare

from what I can tell, nobody seems to be selling a copy of Thrill Kill of which I think there's only review copies in the wild? but i've seen them before and they were up around $300+

one guy is trying to sell the GameStop shelf preorder case for NBA Elite 11 for $250, 11 are watching this item on ebay :lol

another guy is trying to sell the case for the actual game for $3000, and the disc for $3600, 88* are watching the disc

iirc, there are only three verified retail copies of Elite 11 in the wild; and the one guy who posted a bunch of youtube videos of the game posted on another forum and said he'd never sell it when another forum member offered him $500 immediately

guy i talked to from EA years ago said he thought they got all the review copies back and/or they were just digital...so theoretically i guess there could be a 360 out there sitting in a closet at Game Informer or somebody with a press version on the hard drive

*pewdiepie fans confirmed

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18038 on: August 04, 2017, 08:08:33 PM »
 Does anyone know if downloading PSN Games gives access to different languages of the game? I want to buy rainbow 6 siege on sale, but I don't know if it includes the Japanese language.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18039 on: August 04, 2017, 08:58:01 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18040 on: August 05, 2017, 01:45:09 AM »
Does anyone know if downloading PSN Games gives access to different languages of the game? I want to buy rainbow 6 siege on sale, but I don't know if it includes the Japanese language.

Depends on the game.  No idea where you can look that up on R6.  I know there's a multi-language Asian version, so I'm going to assume that the American version is English only based on that.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #18041 on: August 05, 2017, 03:04:41 AM »

depends. like it'll depend on the account if the game doesn't have it within it as default. So you'll have to log into the japanese account to play it in japanese.
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18042 on: August 05, 2017, 03:09:01 AM »
Does anyone know if downloading PSN Games gives access to different languages of the game? I want to buy Rainbow 6 Siege on sale, but I don't know if it includes the Japanese language.

Depends on the game.  No idea where you can look that up on R6.  I know there's a multi-language Asian version, so I'm going to assume that the American version is English only based on that.
depends. like it'll depend on the account if the game doesn't have it within it as default. So you'll have to log into the japanese account to play it in japanese.

Thanks. We have a couple published-in-Japan games which switch nicely switch language (in-game and UI) just by changing the System Language settings. I told my son that if it's a USA game, it likely is mastered with only English, or at best EFIGS, and if he wants Japanese, he'll have to buy the Japanese version of the game. It's /just/ recently launched in Japan, so it's still a high price.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18043 on: August 05, 2017, 03:10:03 AM »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18044 on: August 05, 2017, 11:09:23 PM »
DRAGON QUEST BUILDERS 2 JUST ANNOUNCED OMGGGGGGG

YOU CAN GLIDE NOW AWESOME
AND SWIM
AND HOT FUCK THERE'S COOP
pcp

archnemesis

« Reply #18045 on: August 06, 2017, 01:43:03 AM »
DRAGON QUEST BUILDERS 2 JUST ANNOUNCED OMGGGGGGG
AND HOT FUCK THERE'S COOP
How does co-op work? Is it split screen or online only?

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18046 on: August 06, 2017, 09:01:58 AM »
all I saw was a gif but it had three players building a house together. I assume it was online.
pcp

archnemesis

« Reply #18047 on: August 06, 2017, 10:42:26 AM »
Aw, I hope they add local co-op too.

Raist

« Reply #18048 on: August 07, 2017, 09:40:39 PM »
Skip to 40:20.

I can't breathe.

bluemax

« Reply #18049 on: August 07, 2017, 11:46:56 PM »
I started playing Legend of Dragoon. This game is fucking awful, why did people like it?

The localization alone is enough to turn me off.
NO

benjipwns

« Reply #18050 on: August 08, 2017, 01:13:47 AM »
I can't breathe.
no duh, it's the moon which has no atmosphere, that's why we had to fake sending people there

Raist

« Reply #18051 on: August 08, 2017, 03:05:21 AM »
I started playing Legend of Dragoon. This game is fucking awful, why did people like it?

The localization alone is enough to turn me off.

I have no idea. It had good CGI cutscenes, that's about it. The rest is trash.

benjipwns

« Reply #18052 on: August 08, 2017, 03:10:26 AM »
Expensive (for the time) Sony developed PS1 exclusive FF-like RPG with an ungodly number of cutscenes during a lull in Final Fantasy/Square releases. (Since they were working on the movie.)

IIRC, it megabombed in Japan, like 95% of its sales were in the U.S./U.K. If I also remember correctly, when they re-released it digitally it wasn't even put on the Japan PSN Store initially?

Bebpo

« Reply #18053 on: August 08, 2017, 04:00:46 AM »

:lol

That game was terrible. It was one of Sony's only first party big budget rpgs so people bought it but yeah it sucks. I think I played like the first disc before I bailed. White Knight Story for that gen. Not sure what the PS2 equivelent was since Dark Cloud was actually legit. PS4 hasn't seemed to have a one either but that's more because Sony isn't funding 1st party jrpgs anymore.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18054 on: August 08, 2017, 07:21:22 AM »
the g.i.a.'s panning of that game is still legendary
pcp

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #18055 on: August 08, 2017, 10:15:30 AM »
the champ returns

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #18056 on: August 08, 2017, 10:24:19 AM »

Bebpo

« Reply #18057 on: August 08, 2017, 03:29:02 PM »
Cold Steel 3 PS4

Kinda cool design via faction since CS3 should be the culmination of every faction's story in one big mid-chapter ending of the franchise game.

Bracers/Church/Erebonia/Liberl/Ouroboros/Crossbell

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #18058 on: August 08, 2017, 07:17:59 PM »

Looks... like Metroid. The 3DS can be emulated, yeah? :-[
Hi

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #18059 on: August 08, 2017, 07:37:13 PM »