Author Topic: Random talk thread: It just keeps happening  (Read 3369863 times)

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
Re: New Random Talk Thread: Let the Bottom-Feeding Commence!
« Reply #32700 on: December 11, 2018, 10:25:58 PM »
The dude that cuts my hair is named Beto and he’s mega hot and knows how to whip up a killer pompadour.
serge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #32701 on: December 12, 2018, 03:17:24 AM »

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #32702 on: December 12, 2018, 04:21:39 AM »
If the computer science thing doesn't work out, you can make some artisanal dildo commissions. There's where the real money is.

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #32703 on: December 12, 2018, 06:56:31 AM »
maybe he could 3d print them? i'm sure that utilises some computer science

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #32704 on: December 12, 2018, 09:49:08 AM »
anything is a butt plug so long as you flare the bottom and are man enough. :gurl
que

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #32705 on: December 14, 2018, 03:03:45 PM »
Long ago, back in the early days of my career, there was a point where my desk and the desk of another employee were both pushed back in a corner. There was a small walkway out to the rest of the office, and we actually liked it that way. It was relatively cool and quiet back there, and we could concentrate.

Unfortunately, it also created a choke point that could be clogged up and filibustered by someone who would show up and not take the usual social hints to shove off. Yes, our office had one of those people who would show up and start bloviating about how Windows NT (yes, I told you this was a long time ago) was so good, and how Linux couldn't do this and couldn't do that, and how Microsoft would rule all eventually. Did I mention that the two of us back there were the only Unix-ish people in the entire place? Yeah.

Somehow, I was not the usual target of this person's attentions. Unfortunately, my neighbor and friend was. He'd get the brunt of the blather and had no way out of it.

Well, then, one day, an idea came to me. We all had desk phones, and we had them all set to distinct rings so you could tell who was ringing. I picked up the handset of my phone without putting it to my ear, and blindly dialed the yapping person's four digit extension. Instantly, about 20 feet away, his distinctive ring went off. This made him detach from the conversation and headed back to his desk. Then I just hang up, making him think he "missed it" or "it went to voicemail". Whatever.

This worked because he didn't have a display phone and I knew it. There was no way for him to go back in a log to see who or what was ringing him. He'd also never think to ask the phone folks to dig through call logs. That was that.

I told my friend what had happened and he was delighted and grateful. This happened a few more times over the year or so that we worked together: the blathering would start, I'd look over, he'd nod, I'd do the phone trick, and then it would be over.

But then, one day, my neighbor was gone, and now I was the target of the verbal diarrhea. It's not like I could exactly start poking at my phone, right? It would be super obvious, and he would figure it out.

What to do, what to do. I needed to get some work done. Plus, it was really irritating and annoying. Nobody could do that call for me.

Well, I got lucky. Since this was ages ago, we still had actual modems on a few of my machines, back from when we had analog dialups. They had ports on the company switch just like anyone else, and could dial internal numbers, external numbers, you name it. They weren't used any more, but they still existed. You just had to have access.

As the sysadmin there, I had access. I was in the dialout group so I could open the ttys to the modems without jumping through sudo type hoops.

I could type a few things blindly without looking at the screen too much, and it boiled down to this:

$ tip ttyA00

atdt 2345

Not exactly hard to do, right? For the younger folks who have never poked at a modem or always had an autodialer program, that's AT to get the modem's attention, D for dial, and T for touch-tone (because there's also P for pulse, a whole other story), then this person's extension.

It rang, and he waddled off to check on things, just like before.

Me? I just hit enter inside the tip session and the modem hung up. Click.

As for the Windows person? He never figured it out.

[src]
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #32706 on: December 18, 2018, 06:33:39 PM »

Finished my third face.  Technically its a lot better than the first two in a few ways, but the nose is too wide and the eyes are too far apart and it makes me look like I have down syndrome. 

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #32707 on: December 18, 2018, 06:38:13 PM »
No one can tell when it's lodged in your anus. So it's all good. :trumps
que

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #32708 on: December 18, 2018, 06:50:23 PM »
i want one

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #32709 on: December 18, 2018, 07:38:47 PM »
That’s cool as fuck

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #32710 on: December 18, 2018, 08:11:47 PM »
Carve me like one of your French girls, Arv

Tiops

« Reply #32711 on: December 19, 2018, 08:28:29 AM »
What's a good place (city or province) for immigrants in Canada? I'm thinking about trying an IT job there, but everything seems cool and beautiful there, so it's hard to decide.

shosta

« Reply #32712 on: December 19, 2018, 11:09:24 AM »
Vancouver or Toronto
每天生气

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #32713 on: December 19, 2018, 11:22:20 AM »
Those do seem to be the two choices. If you like US West coast then Vancouver is a good fit. If you like the least coast then Toronto.
Places like Edmonton and such? :nope
que

shosta

« Reply #32714 on: December 19, 2018, 11:26:10 AM »
If you're in tech in Vancouver though you might as well cross the border into Bezos' fief
每天生气

Tiops

« Reply #32715 on: December 19, 2018, 12:30:33 PM »
I see. Well, Toronto and Vancouver definitely are the more recommended places, but I wondered if that's not an option like to recommend San Francisco for tech people in US. I mean, most of the destinations in US and Canada would be better than where I am at the moment (Brazil), but I also hear horror stories about how impossible it is to live in San Francisco due to prices and over population of tech people lol.

shosta

« Reply #32716 on: December 19, 2018, 12:45:59 PM »
Whatever you're hearing about SF is still better than Brazil. Make sure you actually have a job lined up before you move though.

And also there are lots of other affordable places with growing tech industries. Denver is a good example. The economy is just good here. Also the bay area is more than just San Francisco, it's the whole region with 17 million people. You've got lots of options if you're thinking of immigrating.
每天生气

Tiops

« Reply #32717 on: December 19, 2018, 12:58:23 PM »
Whatever you're hearing about SF is still better than Brazil. Make sure you actually have a job lined up before you move though.

And also there are lots of other affordable places with growing tech industries. Denver is a good example. The economy is just good here. Also the bay area is more than just San Francisco, it's the whole region with 17 million people. You've got lots of options if you're thinking of immigrating.

I have no doubts about that. It's just that I need to move somewhere that I'll be able to afford. I also don't plan to move without a job ready for me, so I'll be starting to search for a job there soon. My first option is Canada though, as it seems quite friendly for immigration and I have some friends there (all in Toronto and Vancouver).

Tiops

« Reply #32718 on: December 19, 2018, 01:38:17 PM »
I'm a senior developer in Brazil. Not sure if I could get a senior position in international companies though, as standards may vary, of course.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #32719 on: December 20, 2018, 08:11:12 AM »
I'm a senior data developer and a non dev like stufte, can I too get aboard this moving train please

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #32720 on: December 20, 2018, 09:09:45 AM »
are any of you good with sap or erp systems? because i am not so really this is a plea for help

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #32721 on: December 20, 2018, 09:24:59 AM »
Like sap development or abap? Because fuck that shit. I’m familiar with the FI, REFX, fixed asset and plant maintenance modules.

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #32722 on: December 20, 2018, 01:42:30 PM »
are any of you good with sap or erp systems? because i am not so really this is a plea for help

I use MM in SAP but my knowledge is limited. I tend to use googlefu when I have questions.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #32723 on: December 20, 2018, 02:18:19 PM »
Fuck MM.  Tab and field hell it is.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32724 on: December 20, 2018, 02:52:12 PM »
Stackoverflow
🤴

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #32725 on: December 20, 2018, 04:35:10 PM »
So glad our group kicked SAP and oracle phew

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #32726 on: December 20, 2018, 04:41:24 PM »
So glad our group kicked SAP and oracle phew
que

Tiops

« Reply #32727 on: December 21, 2018, 05:56:52 AM »
At least all my job experience is actually developing new stuff to clients, so I managed to avoid ERP bullshit. Although it would be nice to have the experience :P

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #32728 on: December 21, 2018, 09:42:40 AM »
80% of what i code is custom, luckily im not forced to use bullshit, but the day is coming

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #32729 on: December 21, 2018, 09:49:44 AM »
I'll take out of the box garbage over cool custom stuff every day.  Because as soon as the person who wrote the custom code leaves it turns to fucking garbage with no support.  I'd rather have garbage with support (and a maintenance agreement).

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #32730 on: December 21, 2018, 09:54:00 AM »
I do extensive solution designs and documentation so even if the next guy cant code in the same language as me he knows how it should work so he /she can bolt on some of their own stuff in whatever

skullstorm

« Reply #32731 on: December 22, 2018, 03:22:43 AM »

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #32732 on: December 23, 2018, 12:04:34 AM »
So I was on desolate road, double solid line Massachusetts backroad. As I was cruising along at 45mph some car behind me keot flashing its lights at me. Getting up to me, then backing off. It was creepy as fuck. Eventually I broke the double lines, around some car that was going the limit. went 100mph in a 50mph zones just to get away from this person. Slowed down once I was nearing the next town where a townie cop was just chilling in a 35mph zone. Eventually this asshole just turned off some side street never to be seem again by me. Some Bethesda radiant quest bullshit.
:9

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #32733 on: December 23, 2018, 01:15:23 AM »
Like sap development or abap? Because fuck that shit. I’m familiar with the FI, REFX, fixed asset and plant maintenance modules.
yeah that's exactly the shit i'm referring to :( we run like a million instances of sap with a billion bits of duct tape so it's just a nightmare to do what should be basic changes

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #32734 on: December 24, 2018, 02:31:01 PM »
I think TVC invaded my dreams last night. Somehow I ended up on some mattess with some dude. No box spring, straight matress to floor with a blanket. He was laying on top of me. There was definitely sexual tension there on his part but confusion on mine. He began running his fingers behind my taint just under my buttcheek. I was like wtf. Them he tried to jam his pointer finger into my butthole through my jeans. I woke up.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #32735 on: December 24, 2018, 02:56:34 PM »
No way TVC has a mattress.
©@©™

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #32736 on: December 24, 2018, 04:07:49 PM »
yeah that's exactly the shit i'm referring to :( we run like a million instances of sap with a billion bits of duct tape so it's just a nightmare to do what should be basic changes
That sounds like the average way it’s ran and it’s due to SAP’s core design philosophy of modules and bolt on products, then smash that together with the customization requirements of any large organization and it equals a clusterfuck.

skullstorm

« Reply #32737 on: December 27, 2018, 07:41:20 AM »
I'm visiting my parents for the holidays (I live in a different city and don't get to visit often) and was going to stay until after new year's but damn at this atmosphere here, maybe I should just leave tomorrow. I guess nice, relaxing adult christmases are over and from now on it's just my mom slaving away on her own, my sister and her hubby lying on the sofa and bickering while I, a noted child disliker, have to watch after my sister's little nightmare children (well just the one now but I just learned another one is on the way) and thus can't help my mom with anything. And my dad just sits there on the sofa all day with my sis and her dude and like them, will not lift a finger to help anyone.

Even now when my sister's family are not here my mom is so on edge just waiting for them to invite themselves over for the whole weekend and NYE she's absolutely miserable to be around. The next few days will be so fucking annoying and I'd just want to relax for once. I really think I should just bail (sorry mom).

Maybe next year I should just go abroad for christmas and take my mom with me.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #32738 on: December 27, 2018, 10:52:14 AM »
why do you have to watch the kid? go help your mom

skullstorm

« Reply #32739 on: December 27, 2018, 12:45:18 PM »
Yeah that's what I'd like to know too. But since I'm the kid's favorite person (how the hell does every single kid I know seem to love me when I'm always super uncomfortable around them) he's constantly calling my name if I'm in another room and then comes and finds me and starts dragging me to go play with him. And everyone thinks it's ~the cutest thing~  :-\ I mean okay whatever I'll watch the kid if he loves my shitty company so much but could my sister then get off her ass and help our mom since I can't because her two year old is hanging off my arm? No? Well okay then.

skullstorm

« Reply #32740 on: December 27, 2018, 12:52:59 PM »
And they weren't supposed to come by today but then suddenly they drop off the kid since they didn't want to take him with them to go shopping. Great.

I feel bad for my mom since they apparently do this almost every day and my mom can't ever get shit done or go anywhere. Of course my sister's hubby's parents are some sort of weirdos who have said that they will never watch the kid so my mom's the only babysitter they have since I don't live here. My mom's gonna have a nervous breakdown when baby #2 comes.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32741 on: December 27, 2018, 01:41:06 PM »
You want your sister to get off her arse?

- Jump on the sofa
- Start talking with her man about something genuinely horrible for women to listen to like Joe Rogan podcasts or Jordan Peterson theories

The only escape route is the kitchen, ha!
🤴

skullstorm

« Reply #32742 on: December 27, 2018, 02:15:12 PM »
:thinking :thinking :thinking

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #32743 on: December 31, 2018, 04:44:10 AM »
Yeah that's what I'd like to know too. But since I'm the kid's favorite person (how the hell does every single kid I know seem to love me when I'm always super uncomfortable around them) he's constantly calling my name if I'm in another room and then comes and finds me and starts dragging me to go play with him. And everyone thinks it's ~the cutest thing~  :-\ I mean okay whatever I'll watch the kid if he loves my shitty company so much but could my sister then get off her ass and help our mom since I can't because her two year old is hanging off my arm? No? Well okay then.

(Image removed from quote.)

Kids are like cats.

Cats will always rub themselves lovingly on people who are allergic to them.

Basically, kids are evil.

skullstorm

« Reply #32744 on: December 31, 2018, 06:30:13 AM »
Hmm actually, pretty much every cat I meet seems to like me too. Even the ones that are scared of strangers according to their owners. I like cats but I don't like to get too handsy with them or approach them instead of letting them come to me after getting too many sudden bites and scratches as a kid.

Maybe it's the same thing with kids, since I like to keep my distance and don't go all goo goo ga ga and pinching their cheeks and whatever people who love kids do, kids are drawn to me since I don't annoy them. So I should start acting creepy around kids, eh :thinking

TVC15

« Reply #32745 on: January 01, 2019, 05:28:49 PM »
Is there any way to play Dungeons and Dragons via message board? I really want to do a very sexy campaign with anyone here interested. It's gonna be like La Blue Girl + gay porn inspired.
serge

shosta

« Reply #32746 on: January 01, 2019, 05:44:30 PM »
Please please please, let's do this. There are online dice rollers if people don't have dice, although it's more fun to use physical ones, so I'd use my own. Also, we'd have to kind of organize when people are available to post, which is always hard. But I'm so down.
每天生气

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #32747 on: January 01, 2019, 11:31:50 PM »
Used to play a game over video chat, it worked well except we all knew one dude was in his underwear the entire time

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #32748 on: January 02, 2019, 07:16:19 AM »
I'm in if it's underwear only.

TVC15

« Reply #32749 on: January 02, 2019, 07:56:40 AM »
It's underwear from here only: https://xdress.com/collections/mens-lingerie
serge

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #32750 on: January 02, 2019, 08:12:57 AM »
dont kinkshame me!

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #32751 on: January 02, 2019, 10:32:34 AM »
Momo, you look badass and fairly unsexualized.  :whew
©@©™

skullstorm

« Reply #32752 on: January 02, 2019, 10:50:45 AM »
Desexualized, shitlord

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #32753 on: January 06, 2019, 09:03:33 AM »
Has anyone flown from ORD since the shutdown? I've got a flight out on Thursday and want to get an idea for how early I need to be there in comparison to normal situations.

Bebpo

« Reply #32754 on: January 06, 2019, 04:51:34 PM »
Anyone know a good FDIC insured online bank with decent interest? I've never really used anything other than the mainstream banks because I'm pretty risk averse and they always felt the safest banks to use, but everyone's telling me I should be moving my money to an online one with interest to make some money. I've never really looked into it though, so anyone here use any they'd recommend?

shosta

« Reply #32755 on: January 06, 2019, 04:59:27 PM »
If you want to make money on interest, just start up an investment portfolio with active management from a big bank. Small fries are just going to steal your money.
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #32756 on: January 06, 2019, 06:04:37 PM »
junior boomer

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #32757 on: January 06, 2019, 09:29:23 PM »
ill order you a case of these to drink while you watch old bond movies and 70s wrasslin, brah

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #32758 on: January 06, 2019, 10:05:37 PM »
Bought some new tshirts I'm excited about

Cant wait to rock the Kate Bush one and pull an artsy honey with unshaved pits
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 06:27:48 AM by BlueTsunami »

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #32759 on: January 07, 2019, 05:49:14 AM »
Huxley, huh?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Blue member of the alt-right confirmed
[close]