Author Topic: star trek  (Read 338522 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: star trek
« Reply #2280 on: January 03, 2020, 05:56:11 PM »
Into Darkness does have one of my favorite scenes though, although it actually works best outside the movie with no context.
Even though I knew it was coming, Robocop's ship coming up in warp with a Deeper Bass Evil Warp™ made me laugh again. Also the fact that they had her run all the way to the bridge but cut out the trip anyway so she still gets there within ten seconds.

I think Beyond's destruction of the Enterprise is a bit of an injoke. Remember Simon Pegg wrote it, and it happens in the third movie, and the trailer spoils it. Plus, it's a good way to trap them on the planet for the movie. (Also rumor was they wanted to do a new model Enterprise if the films continued.)

Since it's all but declared dead, Abramsverse (no, I'm not calling it Kelvin) content ranked:
1. Star Trek Beyond (although it's not like there's other choices)
2. Star Trek comics (the only place other than Pine/Urban that this semi-not-really-reboot has actually ever worked as a recreation of TOS)
3. Star Trek: The Video Game (storywise and dialogue and so on, it's actually pretty good... the worst thing about it is actually that it's not as buggy or broken as it was portrayed to be even by myself)
4. Star Trek (no one actually thinks this movie is good, it's a lie they tell themselves and others as part of a sinister plot to keep Alex Kurtzman employed and continuing to destroy the franchise)
5. Star Trek Into Darkness (clear proof that a film cannot survive a great cast, actually fine paced action, known fan references, a hidden twist that everyone guessed from the start that falls hilariously flat in its epic reveal moment making up for everything, and $500 million in total budgeting, if four guys can't write a coherent plot while stealing half of it from another movie and/or 9/11 conspiracy videos)

I'm hesitating on starting ENT before finishing Voyager (not that I'm very invested... It's borderline background noise for me.).
Don't, finish Voyager. You'll regret introducing Enterprise into the mix.

I'd tell you to go ahead and watch the films inbetween if you want to, but ideally we'd be here trying to prevent you from having how Enterprise ends as the last Trek taste in your mouth for almost five years.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2281 on: January 03, 2020, 06:01:55 PM »
Jeri Ryan, dat Borg ass.  :whew
Da... Vinci played by Rhys Davies :confused
Species whatever VFX  :girlaff

Deeper Bass Evil Warp™

:playa
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2282 on: January 03, 2020, 06:06:15 PM »
Vulcan neck pinch, apparently more universal than medical knowledge among all species.
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #2283 on: January 03, 2020, 06:28:30 PM »
Also regarding knocking the Enterprise out of warp in that clip, it wouldn't happen. It would simply stop the ship where it was and it would be the other ship that would continue on at near infinite velocity.

Although the Abramsverse already established earlier that the plot drives of the ships don't use warp but instead transport the ship near instantaneously, which also you can do individually thanks to Scotty's infinite transport formula, also despite this the best way to get over to another ship is to jump out of it in space suits and try to fly yourself over to it.

Really, the way the "warp" works in both films shows why everyone thought he'd be ideal for Star Wars, it operates as hyperspace does. The weapons/shields operates as they do in Star Wars. Even JJ can't grapple with transporting and whether or not the momentum stays even though it never really has. To the point where Spock KNEELS DOWN so that when he comes out of transport to chase Khan to punch him in the face a hundred times he doesn't fall immediately. (Something he didn't do when beaming down onto a planet that was imploding mind you. So much for the tolerant le- Vulcan logic.)

Beyond actually goes out of its way to mention how the transporters Jaylah provides for the crew don't operate as normal and are more dangerous. Even though Kirk and Jaylah keeping their momentum and spatial location, thus falling, is how the normal transporters have operated to date. (Pegg must have forgot!) :lol
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 06:33:06 PM by benjipwns »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2284 on: January 03, 2020, 06:46:52 PM »
The Doctor designed 7 of 9 catsuit ?  :lol
Writing room being a bit shameful heh.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2285 on: January 03, 2020, 07:03:27 PM »
Tom Paris is such a dickhead, god. :neogaf
I mean Torres is pretty bad too but damn he's juvenile.
And already putting moves on Borg. :foodcourt
"Wow I'm really sorry about that alien reacting badly because your species genocided his family and entire homeworld, wanna date wink wink ?"
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 07:07:32 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2286 on: January 03, 2020, 07:54:44 PM »
Vietnam guerilla ? In my Star Trek ?  ???
Why not but the production really didn't bother by renting a bunch of AK bullpups.

Edit : What a weird episode. Leaves a lot of questions hanging. DS9 had some decent war movie style episodes but this one felt really cheap.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 08:16:25 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #2287 on: January 03, 2020, 08:21:08 PM »
which one was it? Nemesis with Chakotay? I remember that one as seemingly good until it's revealed and then the plot goes completely into the tank

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2288 on: January 03, 2020, 08:52:25 PM »
which one was it? Nemesis with Chakotay? I remember that one as seemingly good until it's revealed and then the plot goes completely into the tank

Yeah. The way they try to turn the twist in this one is a bit of a clusterfuck. In itself it's ok but there's no story meat to the bone of that moral tale.

Oh no Ensign Kim was nearly RAPE GANGED by Seven.
:existential
ὕβρις

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2289 on: January 03, 2020, 09:18:38 PM »
every movie after first contact had them trying their hardest to blow up or wreck the enterprise
meanwhile i'm over here demanding more separations of the saucer section :maf

dog

benjipwns

« Reply #2290 on: January 03, 2020, 09:26:35 PM »
Beyond separated the saucer :bolo

then smashed it into a planet too :teehee

spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]
[close]
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #2291 on: January 03, 2020, 09:33:43 PM »
Gene Roddenberry would have preferred if, in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, the Enterprise's saucer section had been blown up, rather than (as happens in the film) the entire ship. "If the saucer had been blown up, at the end of the picture," speculated Roddenberry, "we [could have] had a new saucer come down and reunite the two. Symbolic of the end of the story. They preferred to do it the other way." (The Making of the Trek Films, 3rd ed., p. 47)
Saucer separation was planned as a regular feature during the early days of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Several story lines, including a B-plot for "When The Bough Breaks", were to use saucer separation. (Star Trek: The Next Generation Companion) However, budget limitations at the time did not allow for extensive footage of the separated components to be shot, and it was also felt that separation slowed the progress of the story. (Star Trek Encyclopedia) Unfortunately, this meant that the Enterprise was sent into a number of dangerous situations with saucer separation never being mentioned as an option.

The Enterprise-D saucer landing sequence was conceived in 1991 for the Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual. Writers Ronald D. Moore, Brannon Braga, and Jeri Taylor were inspired by that information and wanted to use a crash as a cliffhanger for the sixth season of TNG, but producer Michael Piller did not like the idea. Furthermore, it would have been too costly to film on a television budget with the VFX technology available at the time. Moore and Braga later wrote the scene into Generations. (Star Trek: The Next Generation Companion, The Art of Star Trek)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2292 on: January 04, 2020, 04:52:27 PM »
Star Trek Voyager : One Holodeck Set For 3 Seasons Only.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2293 on: January 04, 2020, 05:18:03 PM »
Year of Hell : "Only senior officers will stay."
*Ensign Kim still on board*
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2294 on: January 05, 2020, 08:00:49 AM »
Vulcan neck pinch, apparently more universal than medical knowledge among all species.

It's speculated that Vulcans have an energy they focus for that, not a nerve location, per se. That's why McCoy can't make it work in The Search for Spock; he's using the correct move, but humans don't have the correct energy.

:brain

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2295 on: January 05, 2020, 09:49:57 AM »
Year of Hell was kinda good but mostly on the strength of the writing around the antagonist and his ship. It was cool they paid off the "premonition" from Kes in that earlier episode but a bit deflating they didn't play on it. As I understood it was perhaps supposed at one point to be a season arc... I think it works as a two parter though the ending is a wee bit shite. I see what everyone calls the "reset button".
ὕβρις

Tasty

« Reply #2296 on: January 05, 2020, 09:53:52 AM »

It's speculated that Vulcans have an energy they focus for that, not a nerve location, per se. That's why McCoy can't make it work in The Search for Spock; he's using the correct move, but humans don't have the correct energy.

Is that the same movie where Spock's soul gets transferred and reincarnated?

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #2297 on: January 05, 2020, 11:21:24 AM »
I'd tell you to go ahead and watch the films inbetween if you want to, but ideally we'd be here trying to prevent you from having how Enterprise ends as the last Trek taste in your mouth for almost five years.

Hey, he has 2 seasons of discovery to enjoy
:mike

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2298 on: January 05, 2020, 01:21:30 PM »
To be honest I don't find Neelix that terrible so far. He's not good but it's rare he's so omnipresent as to ruin episodes. But I'm already foggy on what happened in S1 when he was probably at peak presence.
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #2299 on: January 05, 2020, 01:36:03 PM »
To be honest I don't find Neelix that terrible so far. He's not good but it's rare he's so omnipresent as to ruin episodes. But I'm already foggy on what happened in S1 when he was probably at peak presence.

Neelix really isn't that bad and often has some of the darker, better episodes. Better character than Kim and Chakotay anyway.
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2300 on: January 05, 2020, 03:53:36 PM »
Leonardo Da Vinci... FULL SPREAD.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2301 on: January 05, 2020, 04:34:14 PM »
Neehilix : Ve believes in nossing, Lebowski. Nossing. And tomorrow ve come back and ve cut off your chonson.

Edit : Oh Jesus "Resistance to intercourse is futile" + Vulcan dong on bridge  :lol ::)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 04:58:21 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2302 on: January 05, 2020, 07:39:57 PM »

...Yes.

:picard

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2303 on: January 05, 2020, 10:18:30 PM »

...Yes.

:picard

Yes.

:rejoice
©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2304 on: January 06, 2020, 03:24:29 PM »
Star Trek Voyager "Retrospect" : Is this an episode about Cancel Culture ?

Edit : Oh wow it really is :lol It's weird the writing seem to rule so conclusively on the case (or have the characters so swayed to the other side) instead of leaving some ambiguity. I guess it ties up any loose ends and makes more sense for the final scene.

Also shout out to Tony Todd as a Hirogen.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 03:54:39 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2305 on: January 06, 2020, 05:59:37 PM »
Star Trek Voyager "Vis ŕ Vis"

Tom Paris so bland it takes days for his closest friends to notice he's not himself.
[close]
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2306 on: January 06, 2020, 07:02:36 PM »
7 of 9 & Harry Kim... Will they or won't they ?  :ryker :jeanluc

My guess : probably not  :dsp  :girlaff
[close]
ὕβρις

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #2307 on: January 07, 2020, 01:28:01 PM »
Star Trek Voyager "Vis ŕ Vis"

Tom Paris so bland it takes days for his closest friends to notice he's not himself.
[close]

they kill off ensign kim and replace him with his phase double, and literally nobody gives a fuck or even remembers to ever bring it up ever again :idont

Meanwhile Paris gets busted down the ranks for outright dereliction of duty and insubordination, and still gets promoted back before anyone even gives old perma-ensign a second thought

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2308 on: January 07, 2020, 02:12:23 PM »
I guess the thing with the phase double is that he's virtually identical and the "cloning" is very fresh and short lived. It's more the other person he brings with him that is going to possibly struggle mightily in the future with that.
ὕβρις

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #2309 on: January 07, 2020, 02:34:34 PM »
still pretty weird I kinda forgot about that even happened
What

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2310 on: January 07, 2020, 02:48:20 PM »
Something similar happened with O'Brien on DS9.

O'Brien was killed later in 2371, after becoming infected with delta-series radioisotopes following an accident aboard the station. This, coupled with the presence of a cloaked Romulan Warbird nearby, had the effect of shifting him forward in time by several hours. His death occurred when he deliberately contaminated himself further in order to determine the exact cause of events he had witnessed. He was 'replaced' by his counterpart from the timeline he visited. Thus, events that occurred to O'Brien from this point on involved the future version, rather than the "original". (DS9: "Visionary")
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Miles_O%27Brien
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Visionary_(episode)

I had completely forgotten about it until Benji mentioned the thing with Kim a while back.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 02:52:43 PM by Rufus »

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #2311 on: January 07, 2020, 03:04:48 PM »
O'Briens the same O'Brien, just from a different point on his own timeline (Like Admiral Janeway is still Janeway).

Kims an alternate universe type dealio

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2312 on: January 07, 2020, 03:50:21 PM »
Hence "similar" 👀

Though the timelines being identical safe for that one thing feels like a cop-out. The timecops should have come around to investigate.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2313 on: January 07, 2020, 06:33:21 PM »
Mirror universe episodes  :social2
But those black gloves on Janeway are pretty cool.

Edit : OK it's not Mirror, it's better than that.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 06:47:19 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2314 on: January 07, 2020, 08:42:07 PM »
The writing and ideas are kinda better now but the conclusions and buttons often give me the impression of being rushed... Or maybe it's the episodes only get too late to whatever the main point of the week is ? The core issues often don't get any room to breath.
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #2315 on: January 08, 2020, 02:14:05 AM »
How is it possible to go through 4 seasons of Voyager in a week?
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #2316 on: January 08, 2020, 03:48:10 AM »
How is it possible to go through 4 seasons of Voyager in a week?

ez
What

Himu

« Reply #2317 on: January 08, 2020, 04:04:16 AM »
Uh, no
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2318 on: January 08, 2020, 04:05:43 AM »
Uh, no

Runs in the background in the free time after work. I already watched a part of S1 months ago.
ὕβρις

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #2319 on: January 08, 2020, 04:46:22 AM »
What

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2320 on: January 08, 2020, 05:02:39 AM »
Also need to finish to update my dating profile. :expert :playa
ὕβρις

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #2321 on: January 08, 2020, 11:03:33 AM »
https://variety.com/2020/tv/features/patrick-stewart-star-trek-picard-cbs-all-access-1203459573/

And here we go

“The Next Generation” presented a humanist future in which issues like poverty, race and class have long been sorted out, and conflicts are more often resolved through negotiation and problem-solving than at the point of a phaser pistol.[/size]Stewart had no desire to go there again.
[/size]“I think what we’re trying to say is important,” he says. “The world of ‘Next Generation’ doesn’t exist anymore. It’s different. Nothing is really safe. Nothing is really secure.”

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #2322 on: January 08, 2020, 11:10:32 AM »
“Picard” finds its hero living in near-isolation on a very un-cosmic French vineyard. He is retired and estranged from Starfleet, the interstellar navy to which he devoted most of his life. He’s haunted by a pair of catastrophes, one personal, the other societal — the death of his android colleague Lt. Cmdr. Data (as seen in “Nemesis”) and a refugee crisis spawned by the destruction of the planet Romulus (as seen in Abrams’ “Star Trek”). When those two seemingly disparate strands of his life cross, Picard returns to action, this time without the backing of a Starfleet whose moral center has shifted.

How the fuck does this even work timeline wise.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #2323 on: January 08, 2020, 11:13:27 AM »
“In a way, the world of ‘Next Generation’ had been too perfect and too protected,” he says. “It was the Enterprise. It was a safe world of respect and communication and care and, sometimes, fun.” In “Picard,” the Federation — a union of planets bonded by shared democratic values — has taken an isolationist turn. The new show, Stewart says, “was me responding to the world of Brexit and Trump and feeling, ‘Why hasn’t the Federation changed? Why hasn’t Starfleet changed?’ Maybe they’re not as reliable and trustworthy as we all thought.”

Holy fuck :dead

Coffee Dog

« Reply #2324 on: January 08, 2020, 11:20:23 AM »
I have no faith in this not being a bunch of dumb action garbage.

To be honest, going full on Fall of Starfleet ideological drama would be interesting. I have no faith that the writers are even interested in telling such a story, and we're just going to end up with a world where Starfleet is a net negative to the universe, pissing on the concept of star trek. But here we are, with the Picard Show, so it was already pretty fucked.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #2325 on: January 08, 2020, 11:53:25 AM »
Fuck this show
What

Himu

« Reply #2326 on: January 08, 2020, 12:28:40 PM »
But I want positive trek. The world is dark. We need real trek NOW!!!
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2327 on: January 08, 2020, 12:46:02 PM »
Trexit
©@©™

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #2328 on: January 08, 2020, 12:57:16 PM »
Obviously the contemporary real world is so much darker than it was in the TOS heyday that they have to grimdark away all optimism.

Wait, what?

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #2329 on: January 08, 2020, 01:36:03 PM »
NOTHING HERE

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #2330 on: January 08, 2020, 01:38:24 PM »
I just want TNG/Voy/DS9 era Trek, The Orville without the fart jokes.

Well I still have The Orville but the rumor is the 3rd season might be the last. :fbm
[close]

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #2331 on: January 08, 2020, 01:42:34 PM »
I mean, it might be a "no, it was definitely mutual" type deal, but the claimed reason the Orvilles going streaming only is so that they can fuck about with episode lengths as needed.

either way we live in a world where both star trek discovery and the orville got greenlit for two more seasons than firefly was  :larry

Himu

« Reply #2332 on: January 08, 2020, 01:45:07 PM »
I just want TNG/Voy/DS9 era Trek, The Orville without the fart jokes.

Well I still have The Orville but the rumor is the 3rd season might be the last. :fbm
[close]

I really want Trek that's Orville like.
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #2333 on: January 08, 2020, 02:18:58 PM »
If Firefly was on now on streaming platforms it would run so much longer. Like 7 seasons
What

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #2334 on: January 08, 2020, 02:40:22 PM »
It's kind of funny that the American Noon Universe has taken the same trajectory as the actual one did.

Is there a mirror universe where they didn't copy JMS' homework? Wonder how that Trek turned out.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2335 on: January 09, 2020, 01:36:18 PM »
JANEWAY MURDERED GARBAGE TRUCK DRIVER
ὕβρις

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #2336 on: January 09, 2020, 02:25:07 PM »
“Picard” finds its hero living in near-isolation on a very un-cosmic French vineyard. He is retired and estranged from Starfleet, the interstellar navy to which he devoted most of his life. He’s haunted by a pair of catastrophes, one personal, the other societal — the death of his android colleague Lt. Cmdr. Data (as seen in “Nemesis”) and a refugee crisis spawned by the destruction of the planet Romulus (as seen in Abrams’ “Star Trek”). When those two seemingly disparate strands of his life cross, Picard returns to action, this time without the backing of a Starfleet whose moral center has shifted.

How the fuck does this even work timeline wise.

“In a way, the world of ‘Next Generation’ had been too perfect and too protected,” he says. “It was the Enterprise. It was a safe world of respect and communication and care and, sometimes, fun.” In “Picard,” the Federation — a union of planets bonded by shared democratic values — has taken an isolationist turn. The new show, Stewart says, “was me responding to the world of Brexit and Trump and feeling, ‘Why hasn’t the Federation changed? Why hasn’t Starfleet changed?’ Maybe they’re not as reliable and trustworthy as we all thought.”

Holy fuck :dead

Himu

« Reply #2337 on: January 09, 2020, 02:26:43 PM »

Explain this reference to me? Been a while
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2338 on: January 09, 2020, 02:54:38 PM »

Explain this reference to me? Been a while

Voyager first episode of S5, Night (?).
Obviously some hyperbole but I was kinda shocked at the end.

Janeway fucks the garbage ship up and they kinda shrug shoulders about the whole recycling technology they wanted to give this civilization when they don't find them immediately.
Also wouldn't it be even worse for the radioactivity to blow the cargo that was the whole issue ?
[close]
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2339 on: January 10, 2020, 04:55:56 PM »
Tom Paris has, like, the weirdest yet blank nerd hobbies : serials, oceans ?
:yeshrug

Edit : One hell of a ugly kid too. :lol
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 05:07:22 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις