Author Topic: Yet another GAF thread - I still haven't got over it :( (No spergfits allowed)  (Read 4245056 times)

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
I hope the entirety of aniemgaf gets permed, comes over here and drives everyone off, leaving me as the king of moe bore :rejoice

spoiler (click to show/hide)
moe  :stahp 
[close]

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
King of Pedobore.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
Oh god damn it

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
In the land of lolicon aficionados the moe man is king?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
I'm not into that lolicon crap, only mature women of at least 16.  :tophat
©@©™

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
I once even dated a 16 year old  :shh

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.

When you were between the ages of 15 and 17? :comeon

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar

When you were between the ages of 15 and 17? :comeon
That was only my physical form, in my final mental form I was still 12  :ufup

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
PER (posting efficiency rating) is a valuable metric but you don't want to get too focused on it. Keep in mind your ATOP (average time of post) can really hold you back and isn't always in your control. You also need to think about zone starts (what topics you post in) and QualForm (quality of forum).

Honestly the only fair way to evaluate a poster is through a modified QORP (quality over replacement poster) that takes into account a variety of generally overlooked metrics. And we'll never have a truly meaningful way to quantify defensive impact, the best we can do is CSPP (coli smilies per post) which is way too vague and seems like something that would've been en vogue during the dark ages of usenet posting.
CSPP definitely is outdated but if you actually kept up with the posting metrics community you'd know that we now have a much better metric in CSPM. This aggregates all the posting data and actually measures whether a coli smilie added or subtracted to the value of the post, thus Coli Smilie Plus/Minus. The more a single coli smilie is used per page the lower in value it drops, thus making new ones much higher in value and also crediting a poster with diversity in their use of coli smilies. Then you can really start informing each posters QORP.

You also have missed the work people are doing on trying to measure the number of L's taken and their severity. This takes a lot of active time data with manual recording so the datasets aren't real big yet but hopefully with improvements in tracking software people won't have to handcode each L taken. This is a real problem on forums like GAF which so limit data access.

I think a lot of people really look down on the posting metrics community in a savage way, "just read the posts" they say. If they get into any kind of metrics it is simple post count or posts per day or the number of likes on a post. But that just rejects the objective cold hard facts about forum posting and gives advantages to those who see market weaknesses. It's really a massive improvement over basic gut instinct forum scouting like JoshuaJStone was famous for.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 01:42:21 AM by benjipwns »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
If I had a choice I'd take everyone in F1 GAF of old, Football GAF of old, before all the splinter shit, everyone in TV gaf and only anime GAF people that has posted in either the ping pong, mushishi or space dandy thread, the rest can suck a dick. (I would say HxH but thats simply too popular with too many groups).

Add a couple of lunatic mods for the population to rebel against and it's perfect.

Kabouter

If I cut back my posting by 75% the average quality of my posts would probably go up.
I figure I'd probably need to cut back like 90-95% before anyone might start noticing the few worthwhile posts I've made.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
I barely even correct spelling or grammatical errors. I cant be arsed.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
i don't even post any more, or at least have reached asymptotal levels of contribution
duc

Dennis

I figure I'd probably need to cut back like 90-95% before anyone might start noticing the few worthwhile posts I've made.

Every single gaffer who is made a mod immediately starts to post much less*. Why is that?

*except Amir0x

larrydavid

Every single gaffer who is made a mod immediately starts to post much less*. Why is that?

*except Amir0x

Extra scrutiny.

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
Also cleaning shit up all of the time probably makes it so they want to post even less.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar

*except Amir0x
Because they post with their anonymous dupes instead. Red names carry too much heat  :whew

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
I recall thinking Drinky was just an account for mods to go ballistic. Then I found out he was a real person.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
The red name carries weight. Lead by example and all that. If you don't feel like considering your words more to match the responsibility (yeah I know *jerkoffmotion*) it might be best to say nothing.

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
At the same time some people over there really don't deserve an essay but a nice "shut the fuck up."

Kara

At the same time some people over there really don't deserve an essay but a nice "shut the fuck up."

If I was a mod I'd be more (40K) commissar than pedagogue.

Which is why I'll never be a mod. :)

benjipwns

Being a mod/admin of my own highly popular video game forums* having the status displayed does make people post and respond differently to you.  Some people like that genuflection, but I never did because I felt it stunts discussion.

*:momosmug

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
I could never be a mod for a site where the idea is to just let shit fester every time to get rid of posters since there's just waves upon waves of bad ones. It never really works out so why do that shit.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
volunteer moderation is a fool's gig anyway (no offence to anyone here) but willingly getting yourself into a situation where you have to babysit a couple of thousand man children is whack.

benjipwns

I could never be a mod for a site where the idea is to just let shit fester every time to get rid of posters since there's just waves upon waves of bad ones. It never really works out so why do that shit.
My modding/admin style was rarely banning anyone unless they were spamming or something. It was up to the community to properly shame them into silence.

I did ban a guy once for basically arguing that Tupac would be considered the smartest mind of his generation after he started writing like five page long posts full of insults and horrible arguments and lyric exposition directed at people whenever they called Tupac a "thug" or "criminal" (which obviously just led to more people doing so) and he wrote me angry e-mails for a couple months.

I don't know why he didn't just make a new account and/or wait the 14 days I had banned him for. cac's man :yeshrug

Dennis

Is ModBot really just a mobile account thing or is it what the GAF mods use when they want to be anonymous 'cause they feel dirty about what they just had to do?

I want to believe they can feel shame.

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
Never underestimate the passion of a cacs defense of the honorable negro
reckt

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
My modding/admin style was rarely banning anyone unless they were spamming or something. It was up to the community to properly shame them into silence.

I did ban a guy once for basically arguing that Tupac would be considered the smartest mind of his generation after he started writing like five page long posts full of insults and horrible arguments and lyric exposition directed at people whenever they called Tupac a "thug" or "criminal" (which obviously just led to more people doing so) and he wrote me angry e-mails for a couple months.

I don't know why he didn't just make a new account and/or wait the 14 days I had banned him for. cac's man :yeshrug

You can't shame people into silence on GAF. They ban you for that.

Team Death Match

Is ModBot really just a mobile account thing or is it what the GAF mods use when they want to be anonymous 'cause they feel dirty about what they just had to do?

Got a couple of components. There's a GAF account (which has no powers). There's also an IRC bot that parses commands so that you can moderate while using the mobile interface. You register your details with modbot and it logs in and executes moderator or administrator actions on your behalf. The GAF account component is used to give anonymous messages. As to why you'd want to be able to do that, it's because we all live in perpetual fear of you guys saying mean things about us on this site.

Kabouter

*except Amir0x

Extra scrutiny.

You would think so, but I seem to have only cut back on making quality posts since becoming a mod. I still make about the same quantity of turd posts as before.

benjipwns

Dennis

Got a couple of components. There's a GAF account (which has no powers). There's also an IRC bot that parses commands so that you can moderate while using the mobile interface. You register your details with modbot and it logs in and executes moderator or administrator actions on your behalf. The GAF account component is used to give anonymous messages. As to why you'd want to be able to do that, it's because we all live in perpetual fear of you guys saying mean things about us on this site.

At first I wondered what mod you are but then........Team Death Match = ThoseDeafMutes.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 05:58:38 AM by Dennis »

Dennis

*except Amir0x

Extra scrutiny.

You would think so, but I seem to have only cut back on making quality posts since becoming a mod. I still make about the same quantity of turd posts as before.

You probably post a lot in the community pages for the Paradox games but I honestly forget about the community pages a lot of the time.

Dennis

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=121246969&postcount=69

:heart

Americans, don't like stairs, don't have electric kettles.

Luckily, I am coming and I am bringing culture and tech with me.

SOON

Kara

Vertigo

Even better from that thread

Quote from: Azurex
You know there are some pedophiles that try their absolute hardest not to act on their urges and succeed, right? Would you call them slime too?

Kabouter

*except Amir0x

Extra scrutiny.

You probably post a lot in the community pages for the Paradox games but I honestly forget about the community pages a lot of the time.
Yeah, and in event threads, so for instance the World Cup and Tour de France.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=121247797&postcount=11

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=121247998&postcount=12

lol no don't worry you're both safe
HOW CAN I MAKE IT LOOK LIKE I AM NOT FISHING TO SEE IF IM IN TROUBLE??!

**post**

PHEW LOOKS LIKE I WAS ALOOF ENOUGH. NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
this thread is used purely to discuss paedos and anime.

an uncomfortable coupling if i ever saw one.

Squiddy

• Ebola Carrier
What is it about summer that brings forth all the pedos ?
<コ:彡

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
What is it about summer that brings forth all the pedos ?

Summer break.
©@©™

huckleberry

wub

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=856183

all dese bannings. someone get slayven to come post in the comic thread

king of the internet

• 🚽
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=856183

all dese bannings. someone get slayven to come post in the comic thread

Not bad. But it sucks when a mod starts banning only a couple pages in, scaring people away from the thread. So many potential bans lost. You're supposed to let that shit go for like twenty pages, THEN drop the nuke.  :rejoice

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Those Paedofinder General videos are amazing and are almost good enough to justify the existence of pedos  :lawd

repost

Not bad. But it sucks when a mod starts banning only a couple pages in, scaring people away from the thread. So many potential bans lost. You're supposed to let that shit go for like twenty pages, THEN drop the nuke.  :rejoice

I'm not trying to come across as overly lazy or anything by saying this (even though it might come across as such), but do you have any idea how much time it takes to do that? Unless one feels like sacrificing hours of their life to dispense internet justice, it's far better to cut this stuff off at the pass. Maybe it's just because work demands have greatly cut into my free time, or maybe it's because the allure of power of being able to ban people fades over time, but my eagerness to mass ban has greatly diminished over time. Whereas when I first got the red name there was a sense of accomplishment in watching my ban counter rise at a meteoric rate, now there's much more reluctance (and annoyance really) when I see the kind of annoying behavior that probably requires action occurring en masse.

king of the internet

• 🚽
If it's so much work Evilore should just outsource the modding then. Get a warehouse of brown people to do it for like three cents a day.

If it's so much work Evilore should just outsource the modding then. Get a warehouse of brown people to do it for like three cents a day.

As opposed to just scrounging up more users that would freely volunteer to do it? But yeah, there's obviously nothing preventing throwing more bodies at the problem, but that in and of itself leads to its own problems. In terms of people that take issue with moderation, there isn't a clear consensus on where we fail. Some think that we're a bunch of overzealous social justice warriors that ban any and all dissenting opinions. Others think that way too much stupid shit goes completely unchecked. Still others think that the issue is that there's perhaps a lack of consistency or cohesion in terms of what is permissible (or perhaps when it's permissible). It's easy to solve any one of these problems, but not all simultaneously. Is the problem that we don't have enough moderators or that we have too many moderators that are all doing their own thing? It depends on who you ask.

nudemacusers

fine i'll mod stop being weird about it
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

I'm sure nobody would object to me suggesting you for a mod position.

Tasty

I'm sure nobody would object to me suggesting you for a mod position.

What about me, Steve? :uguu

Himu

If Mac became a mod, he would be instantly less fun. It is written. Don't pursue the red name, Mac. You'd likely start posting less at the bore too. The people who become mods always do. If they offer a mod position, please turn it down!!!

If you think you'll have free reign as a mod like you do now, you are sorely mistaken. :(
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 01:24:01 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

benjipwns