Author Topic: The Japan Thread  (Read 166896 times)

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
Re: The Japan Thread
« Reply #840 on: May 15, 2020, 09:39:06 PM »
Livin the good life. Not that this youtube fella owns it of course.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #841 on: October 21, 2020, 03:58:30 AM »
A bit random but does anyone have any recs for a nice Hanafuda game set ?

I see Nintendo has one that is apparently the standard for entry level...
Possibly thinking of this as a gift for someone who loves Japan (and Zelda and the big N.

Would probably buy one for myself too, so please submit ones that looks nice without breaking the bank. I like the traditional style illustration but something modernized could be good too.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #842 on: October 31, 2020, 11:17:09 AM »
I guess no one has opinions on Hanafuda, so let me drop some Japanese house music :

Écouter David Clark's Japanese House Classics (デビッド・クラーク - ハウスミュージッククラシック) (November 2019) par David Clark sur #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/LAvu

And this compilation of Shinichiro Yokota
Écouter SOVFE001 Shinichiro Yokota - Ultimate Yokota 1991 - 2019, un album par Sound Of Vast sur #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/gJev
(Fuck it's samples only)

I'd like to find more Japanese hip hop and house artists but most Japanese labels seem really tight fisted with their release on SoundCloud, only uploading samples and such.

Otherwise while looking for Hanafuda sets I found this great playing cards hybrid set (can be used as a regular set or an Hanafuda one). Sadly not available at the moment, it gets infrequently sold on Etsy out of Osaka. If anyone know where I could maybe get a set of those from a Japanese site...

« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 11:23:32 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #843 on: November 01, 2020, 01:28:38 AM »
I don't understand. These are sold through Etsy, but only occasionally?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #844 on: November 01, 2020, 04:00:46 AM »
I don't understand. These are sold through Etsy, but only occasionally?

The listing came up at least twice from what I gather from Reddit. But it's not a regular occurrence. I don't know why, maybe they only do small printing runs or it's one vendor (and not the manufacturer) doing it from time to time.  Haven't been able to track the maker(s) of those to see if I could just order directly. Didn't find it on Amazon either.

Edit :
This is the listing.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/nishikie
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 07:43:26 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #845 on: November 01, 2020, 08:01:44 AM »
Found the Japanese store... I think ?
https://nishikie.stores.jp/?category_id=59326218428f2d5c9b01085a

Not sure they ship outside Japan on that platform.
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #846 on: November 01, 2020, 08:53:16 PM »
Found the Japanese store... I think ?
https://nishikie.stores.jp/?category_id=59326218428f2d5c9b01085a

Not sure they ship outside Japan on that platform.

They do not have a field for entering your country, so my assumption is they will not ship abroad. Normally, I would offer to help, but shipping packages from Japan is unreliable currently. They are allowing regular envelope mail to go out, but not packages.

Coax

« Reply #847 on: November 02, 2020, 12:58:28 AM »
I used White Rabbit Express as a proxy service for something during Japan Post's restrictions. Eventually I just got them to switch to DHL postage since nothing budged with JP. Would recommend the proxy for their great customer service and the fees were insignificant. DHL wasn't cheap though.

Keep in mind though that if domestic postage isn't free one is also paying for that (in my case it was free so I only paid postage outbound). Nice thing is they handle the entire purchase on your behalf so all you do is tell them what you want.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #848 on: November 02, 2020, 02:22:17 AM »
Thanks to you both !
I ordered one thing from Japan this year but the vendor who used the Japan Post service switched to DHL for free during that time. I'll take a look at White Rabbit Express, even if planning for a future purchase (and others, this might certainly be handy).

His card sets seem fairly popular and that's the sort of stuff you print in bulk, I'm hopeful it will still be there when some normalcy is resumed... Some time in 2021 (?). Was hoping to maybe buy this for a present this December but we'll see...

I'm sure I can get a classic Hanafuda set from Amazon meanwhile, maybe even one with additional markings to help non Japanese players unfamiliar with the game.
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #850 on: November 18, 2020, 11:58:30 PM »

Always fascinating to see various population shifts and the reasons behind them.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #851 on: November 19, 2020, 07:35:37 AM »

Always fascinating to see various population shifts and the reasons behind them.

I would happily move back to my wife's hometown if I could at this point- besides less people/corona risk, it's nice and peaceful, super-quiet, and super fast Internets is a thing even out there, so I'd be good, lol.

And woah, that Byron Nagy guy (the farmer) was a speaker at a JET event I went to years back.  He was a job recruiter.  Guess that industry is facing some tough times right now.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 07:59:05 AM by bork »
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #852 on: November 19, 2020, 08:30:28 PM »
https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20201118/p2a/00m/0na/016000c

Japanese government bit in the ass by poorly considered plan, film at 11.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #853 on: November 20, 2020, 11:07:10 AM »
https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20201118/p2a/00m/0na/016000c

Japanese government bit in the ass by poorly considered plan, film at 11.
The UK had a 50% off on restaurant bills scheme, with predictable results. Just give them the fucking stimulus.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #854 on: November 24, 2020, 08:53:15 PM »
Just weebing out (this could have been me if the pandemic didn't happen  :'()

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #855 on: November 29, 2020, 04:06:12 AM »
https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/28/asia/japan-suicide-women-covid-dst-intl-hnk/index.html

Sorry for bringing downer news, but I thought it was worth posting.

Beezy

« Reply #856 on: November 29, 2020, 08:53:03 AM »
I knew Japan had a high suicide rate, but I never knew the actual numbers. Goddamn.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #857 on: December 10, 2020, 07:40:06 PM »
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/shocking-rape-case-shows-reality-114722153.html

Even though the article contains the word "shocking" in the headline, it doesn't shock me at all given the gender dynamics of the country.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #858 on: December 21, 2020, 10:55:57 AM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #859 on: January 22, 2021, 10:16:09 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/japan/comments/l2iglx/man_arrested_for_buying_cup_meant_for_100_coffee/

Some hexagenarian put ¥200 coffee in the ¥100 coffee cup he’d purchased.

This is what counts as newsworthy crime in Japan.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #860 on: February 08, 2021, 07:20:43 PM »

Chrono-san  :-*

Please answer some of these questions yourself too. Us weebs are curious.

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #861 on: February 10, 2021, 08:00:45 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/japan/comments/l2iglx/man_arrested_for_buying_cup_meant_for_100_coffee/

Some hexagenarian put ¥200 coffee in the ¥100 coffee cup he’d purchased.

This is what counts as newsworthy crime in Japan.

I believe the legal term is "Java overflow exception"
地平線

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #862 on: February 11, 2021, 07:40:19 PM »
Where are you from?
Left coast of the USA. Born in WA, raised in L.A., moved for college to Bay Area and worked in game biz in Silicon Valley.

How long have you been in Japan?
I have lived here in 1993-94, and from 2001 to present, except a big part of 2012. Just over 21 years total.

Why did you come to Japan?
The first time, it was due to my own fascination with Japanese culture, from growing up in a Japanese descended community.
The 2nd time, I wanted to give my wife the kind of cooperative, extended-family-assisted childrearing that is common in generational homes, and I was scouted by a company that was only 15 minutes away from her hometown.

What were your expectations?
I grew up in a USA community that was Japanese descendants (nikkei) at about 30%, so I partly thought it would be like a big version of my hometown, and partly thought it would look like the backgrounds in a Godzilla movie.

What are some challenges as an American?
Watching my children grow up as Japanese people. My daughter is an insanely good student, stunningly capable, but Japan's business structure will limit her career options in a way that would make an American woman's head explode. It is obscene. The "glass ceiling" comment in the video really landed with me.
The foreign woman who had a female friend with no Japanese ability who was hired because of her MBA and rose over the course of a year - it's likely a prestige thing for the company, having a foreign MBA in their midst. I wonder if she's really engaged or being leveraged at work, or if it's decorative.

Overwork culture?
Yes. It is everywhere. My BIL worked at Nissan and was there from 7:30AM until 11PM every day. My non-crunch hours at a J-dev were 50+ hour weeks, with 6 of 12 months every year in actual crunch, which was 70-80 hour weeks. It may have made sense during postwar recovery and the Bubble, but there is no reason to cause people this much struggle, particularly when there is no payout, no benefit. It is vile and ubiquitous. I honestly think the reason the government/zaibatsu went after Nissan's Carlos Ghosn so hard was because he came into their house and told them how to do stuff. It was intended to have a chilling effect on anyone ever daring to interrupt the status quo.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #863 on: February 12, 2021, 01:05:21 AM »
Cool.

It's really neat that you also got to experience the country back in 93-94.

I'm curious how different is life in the country as a non-Japanese dude now compared to then. Or heck even at the turn of the millennium. I'm interested because I was lucky enough to visit for several weeks back in the summer of 08. And from watching various "gaijin in Japan" channels, one gets the impression that the difference in how they are perceived or how easy it is for foreigners to get useful information is much easier now than it was in the mid 2000s.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #864 on: February 12, 2021, 04:03:21 AM »
Getting information was definitely more difficult. I read books in ‘92 about how to tackle Japan, get a job English teaching, and hopefully not offending anybody while I traveled. The various foreigner friendly jobs were listed in “Time Out” magazine, and people waited for the classifieds each month before making their phone calls to apply.

‘93-‘94 was just around Mosaic’s first appearance, the birth of the worldwide web. No one could see how embedded the internet would become. No one had email accounts, excepting message boards for user groups. Connecting via Japanese phones cost exorbitant fees and was slow.

Communication by international phone call was ¥100 per minute to coal Japan to America. Sending a single page mail cost ¥100 and took 5 to 9 days to arrive. If the correspondent wrote back and mailed immediately, it took 5 to 9 days to return. So communication took between 10 and 18 days even if responses were immediate.

I guess it’s hard to know how much things have changed. My immediate answer is that everything is the same, except the Internet. But truthfully, China and Korea is financial ascendance has opened up Japan to tourism. The Chinese tourists make the rest of the world visitors look like absolute angels. There’s also more freedom of personal expression. Some people have pop art tattoos now, which is stunning considering how much they are still shunned by society at large here. But in reality it is easy to tell the difference between mob tattoos and hipster tattoos. Maybe Japan will adjust? People are also more open to other forms of appearance variation: women bleach their hair blonde or brown, but 25 years ago everyone was pretty much a uniform black, except for delinquents.

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #865 on: February 12, 2021, 09:12:07 AM »
I miss u chrono  :'(
地平線

Beezy

« Reply #866 on: February 12, 2021, 12:00:56 PM »
I'd like to visit Japan again and ask chrono where all the cool kids hangout.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #867 on: February 12, 2021, 06:04:13 PM »
I miss u chrono  :'(

Miss you too, boo. Looking forward to the next time we can hang out!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #868 on: February 12, 2021, 06:05:33 PM »

I can take you to where all the tasty food is, but I am at a loss for cool kids are.

Beezy

« Reply #869 on: February 12, 2021, 07:16:37 PM »
Me and my friend who you met laugh about us asking you that question all the time. I don't know what we were thinking. :lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #870 on: February 12, 2021, 09:59:17 PM »
Me and my friend who you met laugh about us asking you that question all the time. I don't know what we were thinking. :lol

:rofl

“Chrono, where can we dance until 5AM and meet the interesting locals?”
“Um, I’m 50 years old and married, my dudes. I have NO IDEA.”

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #871 on: February 13, 2021, 10:20:15 AM »

:rofl

“Chrono, where can we dance until 5AM and meet the interesting locals?”
“Um, I’m 50 years old and married, my dudes. I have NO IDEA.”

Gaspanic :teehee
ど助平

Beezy

« Reply #872 on: February 13, 2021, 12:12:42 PM »
Next month makes 3 years since that trip. I'd most likely be back in Japan this year if it wasn't for COVID. :(

« Reply #873 on: February 15, 2021, 05:13:13 PM »
Chrono, your fax machine stories are legend.

I can take you to where all the tasty food is, but I am at a loss for cool kids are.

Wherever we end up. Ramen. Beer. Whatever. That's the cool kids place. Duh.

We're still shooting for 2022 for the next family trip. Fingers crossed.
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #874 on: February 15, 2021, 05:35:25 PM »
Next month makes 3 years since that trip. I'd most likely be back in Japan this year if it wasn't for COVID. :(

We thought about going last year, before our daughter was born, but nope.  Been five years since we were last there.  Got a niece and nephew I've never met!  :'( 
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #875 on: February 15, 2021, 05:40:56 PM »
We thought about going last year, before our daughter was born, but nope.  Been five years since we were last there.  Got a niece and nephew I've never met!  :'(
That sounds rough! I bet your wife is having a hard time.

Chrono, your fax machine stories are legend.
I don’t even remember one of those, at the moment. I’ve plenty of inkan (“personal stamp”) stories for sure. 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #876 on: March 10, 2021, 10:09:35 AM »

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #877 on: March 10, 2021, 05:31:44 PM »
The comments at the bottom suggest this would have been in 2009. that awful earthquake was a few years after I think? So this function might have even been used for all we know, though maybe during a great catastrophe that's the last thing on anyone's mind.

T-Short

• hooker strangler
地平線

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #879 on: March 12, 2021, 05:25:36 PM »

G The Resurrected

« Reply #880 on: March 12, 2021, 08:16:59 PM »
John Daub, He owes me money!

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.

« Reply #882 on: March 24, 2021, 11:22:14 AM »
https://twitter.com/GearoidReidy/status/1372475146708000772

That's not too bad since there's probably a machine near your house and if you can get things other than just Coke.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #883 on: March 24, 2021, 06:33:35 PM »
Yeah, Coca-Cola company makes Georgia Coffee and Aquarius sports drink (Polaris Sweat competitor), as well as soup in winter.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #884 on: March 24, 2021, 10:26:32 PM »
Some days living here is less fun than others:
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/03/24/world/north-korea-missiles-intl/index.html
Pentagon, Washington (CNN)North Korea launched two ballistic missiles on Thursday, according to an intelligence assessment, a senior US official tells CNN.

It is not known yet whether the missiles were short, medium or long range, such as an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM). The US military and intelligence community is still analyzing data from the test launch to determine what kind of missile was fired and how far it went.

The US tracks all North Korean weapons tests through radar and satellites, which are able to detect heat signatures of a missile launch almost immediately.
Earlier in the day, the South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff told reporters that North Korea had launched unidentified projectiles toward the sea between the Korean peninsula and Japan.
"South Korean military has strengthened its surveillance and maintaining readiness in close cooperation with the US," the Joint Chiefs of Staff said in a statement.
According to Japan's Defense Ministry, the projectile is likely to have landed outside Japanese territory and its exclusive economic zone. Japan's Coast Guard has warned ships to be on the lookout for falling debris.

The second test in less than a week
Last weekend, North Korea carried out its first weapons test since US President Joe Biden took office, according to three US officials, launching two projectiles in a move that senior administration officials downplayed as falling "on the low end of the spectrum" of provocations.
Officials and experts had anticipated that North Korean leader Kim Jong Un would attempt to send a message to the Biden administration about the country's importance in the region.

North Korea breaks silence to warn US against 'causing a stink'
In that test, one US official told CNN that North Korea had launched short-range projectiles, possibly artillery or cruise missiles, not ballistic missiles -- a key distinction underscored the Biden administration's view that it was not a serious breach and will not prevent the US from pursuing diplomacy with Pyongyang.
But in a statement to the Senate Armed Forces Committee on March 16, US Air Force General Glen VanHerck warned that the isolated regime could go further.
Pyongyang has "indicated that it is no longer bound by the unilateral nuclear and ICBM testing moratorium announced in 2018, suggesting that Kim Jong Un may begin flight testing an improved ICBM design in the near future," he said.
'When we practice attacking them, they practice nuking us'
A ballistic missile launch is a violation of UN Security Council resolutions, and "that's going to make it a little harder for the Biden people," said Jeffrey Lewis, a professor at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies, which specializes in open-source intelligence.
Lewis, who previously described the weekend's short-range launches as a "two" out of 10, told CNN on Wednesday evening that the new ballistic launches would be "more than a two."
But the launch wasn't entirely unexpected, coming days after the US Secretary of State and Defense Secretary visited the region and following a joint US-South Korea military exercise. "When we practice attacking them, they practice nuking us. that's just the yin and the yang of the thing," said Lewis.
Though it remains unclear whether exactly what kind of ballistic missile was launched, Lewis said it seemed unlikely to be the more powerful long-range missile.
"For really long range missiles, they tended to be picked up when they went up, and they stay aloft for 10-20 minutes. With the ICMBs, we heard about the launch before they came down, and that was a good give away," he said.
"This time, they went up and they came down."
This story is developing and will be updated.
Reporting contributed by CNN's Jake Kwon and Junko Ogura.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #885 on: March 25, 2021, 02:39:10 PM »
If they actually hit a target they'd immediately lose all their leverage.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #886 on: March 25, 2021, 08:08:37 PM »
If they actually hit a target they'd immediately lose all their leverage.

It’s all just petulant posturing designed to provoke so, in a sense, they have squarely hit their target.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #887 on: March 31, 2021, 07:18:53 AM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #888 on: March 31, 2021, 07:37:19 AM »

Beezy

« Reply #889 on: March 31, 2021, 07:51:54 PM »
...$80? What's the fucking point?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #890 on: March 31, 2021, 09:04:47 PM »

It ensures that women continue to feel undervalued and demeaned.

:maf

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #891 on: March 31, 2021, 09:33:10 PM »
In Japan's defence in any other country they probably wouldn't get a fine or a charge. $80 is nothing but at least it's something.

« Reply #892 on: April 06, 2021, 05:46:34 PM »

Please understand.
野球

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #893 on: April 07, 2021, 09:17:06 AM »
I'm actually surprised the vaccination rate right now in Japan is so low. Is it because there wasn't a whole lot of covid to begin with, that vaccine rollout isn't a priority?

Are there antivaxxers in Japan?
^_^

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #894 on: April 08, 2021, 01:44:42 AM »
I'm actually surprised the vaccination rate right now in Japan is so low. Is it because there wasn't a whole lot of covid to begin with, that vaccine rollout isn't a priority?

There are anti-vaccers in Japan, but they are a tiny minority. Vaccinations are absolutely mandatory for most children across a broad range of illnesses. However, last Halloween I remember seeing a demonstration at Shinjuku station of people claiming that the virus was not real, and that vaccination was a trap.

The problem is the Japanese government did not try and get ahead of the logistics of disseminating the vaccination, even when it was determined that special refrigerators would be needed, as well as syringes. Japan has a largely decentralized hospital system, and most of the smaller clinics that are common do not have refrigerators of the type needed to store the vaccine. In addition the types of phials in which it is distributed require a particular type of syringe, Japan was only to get five of six inoculations out of a single while until a clever nurse figured out a safe way to get the sixth dose out of it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 06:07:35 AM by chronovore »

Bebpo

« Reply #895 on: April 16, 2021, 01:59:14 AM »

There are anti-VAX or‘s in Japan, but they are a tiny minority. Vaccinations are absolutely mandatory for most children across a broad range of illnesses. However, last Halloween I remember seeing a demonstration at Shinjuku station of people claiming that the virus was not real, and that vaccination was a trap.

The problem is the Japanese government did not try and get ahead of the logistics of disseminating the vaccination, even when it was determined that special refrigerators would be needed, as well as syringes. Japan has a largely decentralized hospital system, and most of the smaller clinics that are common do not have refrigerators of the type needed to store the vaccine. In addition the types of phials in which it is distributed require a particular type of syringe, Japan was only to get five of six inoculations out of a single while until a clever nurse figured out a safe way to get the sixth dose out of it.

So following up on this, there is this quote

"The country has reportedly lagged behind in vaccination rollouts compared to other major wealthy countries. The delay was due to requiring extra clinical trials for the Pfizer vaccine to aid historically low vaccine confidence in the country, according to the Associated Press."

https://abcnews.go.com/US/tokyo-olympics-canceled-top-japanese-official/story?id=77101656

that seems odd to me, why would Japan have issues trusting vaccines?

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #896 on: April 16, 2021, 02:04:24 AM »

Beezy

« Reply #897 on: April 16, 2021, 12:25:54 PM »

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #898 on: May 25, 2021, 03:32:08 PM »