Author Topic: International Politics Thread - Disease and Disaster  (Read 1291285 times)

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
:umad
But, ironically, some EU leaders see the wide-ranging deal they have agreed with far-off Japan as a possible model for future commercial relations with the United Kingdom, once it formally quits the bloc.

"Everything is uncertain with the United Kingdom for the moment, but one day or another we'll have to negotiate something," Malmstrom said, predicting a British deal would "go even further" than Japan's.
:lol The EU will never sign a free trade deal with the UK like this one. The whole point of playing hard ball like this is to keep the EU together and discourage separation. In the political interests of the EU, the UK has to be made an example of.
每天生气

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
I'm half expecting Mario Draghi to step into a helicopter and fly around Europe dropping 100 euro bills to celebrate brexit once the UK crashes out of the EU 

According to a parliamentary law from 1856 if May loses the confidence vote Boris Johnson must set the H.M.S. Brexit on fire using the Mace and ram the burning ship straight into the ports of Belgium.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 03:26:03 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
10 minutes until the results are out.

The Guardian opens with some great analysis.

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1072955425891540992
🤴

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
If May gets ousted, does the Queen take over?
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
200 Yes
117 No

May wins!

Another week that could be spend on Brexit preparations wasted by the UK  :lol
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: going through doors, this can still be called for in most German legislatures; outside a German Landtag:
(Image removed from quote.)

I assume "Ja" gets entered a lot more based on the discoloration on the other two doors.

What does Ja Rule think of the German immigration crisis?
Nintex, please don't respond to my posts with your fan fiction nonsense.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
Being compared to Nintex  :six: :trigger
Margs

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
So may wins a vote of no confidence and is off to Brussels to get conceasions... Did anyone tell her negotiations are over?

Does she expect a cookie for staying in power?

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
She wants a pinky promise about the backstop. Or something.

curly

• cultural maoist
Why do you guys feels Native Americans and Indigenous people in general are ignored in social justice crusades?

Data shows Native American men are killed by police more often than even African American men, but its never discussed.

http://www.cjcj.org/news/8113

Or the fact that native women go missing in Canada at alarming rates and... no one outside their communities do anything about it?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/indigenous-missing-women-police-data-1.4449073

Just curious. I've always wondered it myself but never really put any effort in to understanding it. Been looking in to getting some books that talk about it.

I suspect it's a case of out of sight out of mind. Reservations are located in out of the way places so nobody notices how awful they are besides the marginalized people that live there.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
It's a little early to call it yet but it would seem the yellow vest movement has lost some steam this Saturday at least as far as gatherings in major cities go, probably because of the political measures announced, the terror/gun attack in Strasbourg and entropy (a sixth person was killed last week in relation to blockades). "Only" 69k cops are on duty rather than the 89k of last week. To be fair, they manage to force the hand of the government a lot farther than any recent movement already.
ὕβρις

Sman

France can burn in winter, but as long as it remains calm in summer, it's a-ok.

Hopefully (but not likely), some of the chaos can scare away a good chunk of tourists all year round. Major attractions are difficult to access at peak season.

:dice

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
It's a little early to call it yet but it would seem the yellow vest movement has lost some steam this Saturday at least as far as gatherings in major cities go, probably because of the political measures announced, the terror/gun attack in Strasbourg and entropy (a sixth person was killed last week in relation to blockades). "Only" 69k cops are on duty rather than the 89k of last week. To be fair, they manage to force the hand of the government a lot farther than any recent movement already.
There's nothing those people can do. No one wants to end up politically like the UK with Brexit or even the US with Trump.
Despite opinion polls against it, the European states signed the controversial Marakech pact anyway which was one of the topics the protests were about.
And yes the terror scare is very convenient for the powers that be. The EU parliament now has anti tank walls and can be sealed off completely so they don't have to worry about the fallout of such an attack.

The only effect of the Yellow Vests will be that Le Pen wins a sweeping victory in the EU parliamentary elections. Which just means more seats for the Salvini, Le Pen, Wilders, Orban block but not enough to make any meaningful change.

Meanwhile Juncker just keeps drunk stumbling the EU towards its downfall
https://twitter.com/Ruptly/status/1073536458206658560
Something something #metoo

And the front runner candidates that will take his place (Timmermans or Verhofstadt) are even worse than this mumbling drunk.

The yellow vest protests end the same way the protests did in Greece or any other European protest. There is no alternative so they have to accept their masters in Brussels who write laws and policies no one wants.
But Macron is willing to sign anything as long as he gets a shared EU budget so France's debt becomes Germany's and they keep receiving the farming subsidies.

It's maddening but the wheels are in motion now. The Yellow Vests are about 10 or even 20 years too late to stop this train.
🤴

benjipwns

https://www.wsj.com/articles/france-probes-any-moscow-role-in-yellow-vest-movement-11544826863
Cybersecurity researchers disagree over whether Kremlin agents have been controlling some of the accounts used to whip up the yellow vests, promote Russian-backed coverage and encourage demonstrators on social networks.

Ryan Fox of New Knowledge, an Austin, Texas-based cybersecurity firm, said it identified several hundred accounts on Twitter and Facebook it says are very likely controlled by Moscow and are active in the movement.

Graham Brookie, director of the Digital Forensic Research Lab at the Atlantic Council in Washington, said his group hasn’t seen significant evidence of state-sponsored interference. “What we have seen is enthusiastic and opportunistic amplification of unrest across a familiar group of strange bedfellows that include pro-Kremlin influencers or media, far-right influencers, and outright conspiracy theorists,” Mr. Brookie said.

In addition to anonymous social-media accounts, pro-Russian activists in France are participating in the protests and helping to turn out demonstrators.

Their involvement reflects Mr. Putin’s role as an inspiration to far-right political activists across the West. The activists see in the yellow vests a grass-roots movement that could hobble or even topple Mr. Macron, a strong supporter of Western institutions such as NATO and the European Union that Mr. Putin views as a threat.

“Macron isn’t legitimate,” said Xavier Moreau, a Franco-Russian businessman who runs a pro-Kremlin website in Moscow. “He rose to power because of a media-legal coup d’état.”

Mr. Moreau, who voted for Mr. Fillon in the last election, donned a yellow vest last Saturday on the Champs Elysees and unfurled a flag of the Donetsk People’s Republic, the breakaway, Russian-backed province of eastern Ukraine. Mr. Moreau has repeatedly traveled to the so-called republic and served as an election observer there.

A photo of Mr. Moreau at the protest with the flag ricocheted across social media, alarming Ukraine’s State Security Service. Its chief posted a statement calling Mr. Moreau a Russian agent. “They have started to create unrest and violence in France behind the backs of peaceful protesters,” the service said.

Frank Buhler, a far-right French political activist and Russophile,has been an important online figure in the movement. A former member of Ms. Le Pen’s National Front who was expelled from the party for posting racist remarks on social media, Mr. Buhler posted one of the earlier videos calling for the first yellow vest protest on Nov. 17. His video has been viewed more than 4.5 million times.
:putin

hungrynoob

• boo
enjoying the show?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
"A media-legal coup d’état" : you mean an election ?
ὕβρις

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Just caught up with UK politics, Jesus Christ friends, what a bowl of cold lumpy custard 😂

kingv

enjoying the show?

Flynn was definitely exonerated today. Q gets another notch I’m his belt!

Raist

I don't know what you're talking about, everything is going just fine.

The cabinet has decided to "ramp up" preparations for a no-deal Brexit amid uncertainty over the fate of Theresa May's proposed EU exit deal.

It allocated to ministries £2bn set aside in case the UK leaves on 29 March without MPs having accepted any deal.

Letters will be sent to 140,000 firms updating them on what they should do while 3,500 troops will be put on standby to help government departments.

Jeremy Corbyn has tabled a motion of no confidence in Theresa May, after she said MPs would not vote on her Brexit deal until the week of 14 January.

The PM had delayed the vote from last week, admitting she was set to lose.

Labour leader Mr Corbyn said on Monday it was unacceptable for MPs to wait a month to vote, adding the PM had led the UK into a "national crisis".

But No 10 sources told the BBC the government would not make time for the no-confidence vote.

Theresa May is now thought to be in favour of giving MPs a vote on alternatives to her plans when they debate her Brexit deal.

The prime minister was previously thought to be against this idea.

But sources have told the BBC she wants the "meaningful vote" planned for the third week of January to be a "moment of reckoning" for Brexit.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
I like how the entire exercise of negotiations after May invoked Article 50 has basically been a very elaborate way to waste a humungous ammount of time doing absolutely nothing.
🤴

kingv

The very idea of Brexit was dumb. They had a lot more leverage in the EU before they said they were leaving.

Once you go “oh, I’m leaving” then the EU has less reasons to deal. A smarter U.K. would have tried to negotiate from within.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
What do you think are the odds of Brexit riots happening on the scale of mouvement des gilets jaunes?

Raist

What do you think are the odds of Brexit riots happening on the scale of mouvement des gilets jaunes?

http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=41489.msg2539951#msg2539951

Quote from: A very smart dude
Having lived on both sides of the channel, the culture difference is pretty damn amusing to me.

"We're going to gut the NHS. And education. And law enforcement."

"... OK" *goes back to sipping a cuppa*

"We're going to significantly raise taxes on fuel"

*Paris burns*

So this, pretty much:

Raist

These folks are 3 months away from the most dramatic political, economical and social change in their country since the collapse of the empire, and this is what is going on in parliament:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-46619702/pmqs-does-corbyn-call-may-a-stupid-woman

That video is unbelievable. Bunch of kids fighting it off in the school yard :lol

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
The very idea of Brexit was dumb. They had a lot more leverage in the EU before they said they were leaving.

Once you go “oh, I’m leaving” then the EU has less reasons to deal. A smarter U.K. would have tried to negotiate from within.

I mean, the whole thing started because David Cameron thought he could promise a vote on Brexit and then everyone would vote against it because it was a dumb idea.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
These folks are 3 months away from the most dramatic political, economical and social change in their country since the collapse of the empire, and this is what is going on in parliament:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-46619702/pmqs-does-corbyn-call-may-a-stupid-woman

That video is unbelievable. Bunch of kids fighting it off in the school yard :lol
And that's why some point in good time Merkel will call with a deal.

Because Germans absolutely hate this sort of nonsense.  :lol

Also the Belgium government collapsed as well.
🤴

Raist

And that's why some point in good time Merkel will call with a deal.

Because Germans absolutely hate this sort of nonsense.  :lol

Yeah, just like the EU was immediately going to do anything ASAP after the vote / article 50 / anytime now cause the UK is soooooo important.  ::)

Also the Belgium government collapsed as well.

Also, water is wet.

kingv

I mean, the whole thing started because David Cameron thought he could promise a vote on Brexit and then everyone would vote against it because it was a dumb idea.

It just boggle my mind that someone in the last 3 years wasn’t just like “oh wait, let’s do a referendum again and make sure knowing what we know today” or “actually this whole idea I fuckingn dumb, we’re just going to not do it.”

It also boggles my mind that as many brits support brexit as they do. Like after 3 or 4 years where it’s increasinggly clear that leaving is a dumb fucking idea, the polling is still basically evenly split. As an American it makes me feel better about our politics. At least support for Trump hovers around like 40% and a clear majority think he’s a dip shit.

My most likely prediction for Brexit is that the U.K. is trying to get back in in 5 years but doing it on the EU’s terms and adopting the Euro.

Edit: like the U.K. has the best possible Eurozone deal. Free movement of goods and services and people, but get to have their own currency. Greece or Italy or Spain would kill for that deal.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
They won't be joining again for a long time.  People know this is a bad deal and they don't care.  Also, the EU has some pretty big sovereignty issues that will continue to be visible problems.  The only way I see them going back soon is if not being in the EU starts to dissolve the UK, so if the Scots decide the EU would be better or if they hit the backstop and NI gets set on fire.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
The EU is so far removed from their own citizens it's not even funny. In The Hague we have quite a transparent and open government. You can catch up and chat with our prime minister if you happen to be up early and see him at the train station.
In Brussels even journalists have limited ways to reach out to those in power and MP's enter the building using a different entrance with a red carpet.

One comment Boris made on Brexit was right on the money.
He basically said that when he was mayor of London people could find him and call him a wanker. And he openly asked who people had to find in Brussels to call wankers.
No one knew. Some commitee has today decided that all plastic cuttlery will be banned in 2021. How and/or why that decision was made(?)

All the EU does is write new needless laws and regulations that take more control away from member states and thus from the citizens.
It's a German wet dream, virtually every product and activitiy is somehow regulated. Except illegally crossing the borders or being an EU MP.
🤴

Raist

Some commitee has today decided that all plastic cuttlery will be banned in 2021. How and/or why that decision was made(?)

It's not that hard to find that type of information.

https://multimedia.europarl.europa.eu/en/impact-plastic-products-on-environment-vote-debate_I162414-V_v

That was 2 months ago, not today, by the way.

Raist

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
The financial world will lobby against this so it will be scrapped
Financial services operators in the UK lose the right to provide their services in the 27 EU member states under the EU financial services passports scheme;
The rest reads as: "We'll just delay Brexit for 12 months"

Honestly, this is in ways better than the deal May got.  :lol
🤴

kingv

Fuck yeah it is. Blue passports!

Raist

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-46640033

What a complete shitshow. Whoever's behind this is going to be made an example of.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
honestly, this terrifies me

benjipwns

The measure had previously been ruled out by Sussex Police, which cited concerns over "stray bullets".
Ah, what they need is a battalion of American police!

Note: They may not bring down the drone.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Why was there a decision to ban plastic cutlery?

Gee maybe you could use that brain of yours to figure it out ya dumb cunt

Go oppose wind energy or something equally dumb

Raist

shosta

Has anyone actually seen a video of this so-called "drone"? Drone batteries hold a charge good for about half an hour of usage and yet this has held an airport hostage for an entire day? Police have now been authorized to use snipers? Here's a picture from the Daily Mail.

If those are police officers, why are they not uniformed?

Nothing about this is right. Wake up. It's not a drone. You're being lied to.
每天生气

Raist

It's a (or even multiple) large drone, not the kind of shit you can buy off of Amazon.

shosta

Yeah, according to the police. Haven't you seen those horror movies where a monster rampages through the streets and the newspapers report it as a "large animal" the next day? If it's so large, how can the police not watch it land or keep an eye on it? How does that make any sense?
每天生气

shosta

每天生气

Raist

So what do you suggest this was all about then?

Anyway, here's a vid.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/12/20/first-footage-drone-evading-police-helicopters-gatwick-airport-8271026/

shosta

The one and only vid despite 50 something sightings and a major disruption to an airport. I tried finding a longer version of that video but that's it. Maybe the police filmed that and distributed the video.
I think there was a ufo incident at the airport and this is a cover-up.
每天生气

Raist

benjipwns

SI Justin Burtenshaw said: ‘Each time we believe we get close to the operator, the drone disappears; when we look to reopen the airfield, the drone reappears.’
It's a police drone searching for this "drone" obviously.

benjipwns

One team: "We're going to open up the airfield, send up our drone to look for it."

Some other team: "HEY THERE'S THE DRONE, SHUT DOWN THE AIRFIELD ASAP!"

First team: "They're shutting it down, bring our drone in to recharge the battery."

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
The UK government has repeatedly shown that they can't find their way out of a paper bag.
And conspiracy nuts want us to believe that they can cover-up a UFO event?  :lol

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1075871993482895361

Anyhow the airport is shutdown again because of Drones.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 01:40:17 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
shut the fuck up shosta
bent

Occam

The one and only vid despite 50 something sightings and a major disruption to an airport. I tried finding a longer version of that video but that's it. Maybe the police filmed that and distributed the video.
I think there was a ufo incident at the airport and this is a cover-up.

Joking or moron?

Raist

They arrested 2 suspects last night and are interrogating them, apparently.

I wonder if they are little greys :thinking  :hans1

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Welp turns out I was wrong. France is literally on fire again.   :-\
🤴

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
All you needed was the first sentence of that post.
dog

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Welp turns out I was wrong. France is literally on fire again.   :-\

The numbers of protestors is down this Saturday but I don't know if the foreign press is properly conveying that while the gatherings on Saturdays are focal points, yellow vests are blocking roads, roundabouts, forcing toll boothes open on highways, etc... This include some spots being picketed round the clock and protestors spontaneously organizing day and night shifts. They did that every day for a month or so despite for no small amount of them being employed in some capacity. It hasn't magically stopped despite the holidays and measures so it was obvious there would be people marching today. It certainly could continue into January or even February considering the nebulous, loose nature of the movement. It's not like Macron concessions were spectacular and it has already leaked out that the implementation will be laborious (apparently the CSG will continue to go up in 2019 for pensions but people will be reimbursed in July. In practice it may be the same as not raising it all year as promised, but the OPTICS are not the best).

This movement has stripped Jupiter naked and some people will go as far as possible to see how much they can humble him. All the more since it's apparently been very cathartic for a lot of people who found avenue for socializing and speaking of those sort of problems openly. I'm pretty ambivalent about it all (it is not a movement of urban citizens or even one of the impoverished suburbs / projects) and I don't want to romanticise them but it seems pretty clear.

By the way I haven't seen a single Yellow Vest in any past Saturday, nor any burned car or smashed shop. I have been inconvenienced by some of the public transport stations being preemptively closed but the protests are very much localized into Paris intramuros to a third or a quarter of the city at best.

A tenth person died today but afaik no one was killed as a direct result of clashes between protestors and police (it's mostly car accidents linked to the blockades in some shape or form).
ὕβρις