Author Topic: International Politics Thread - Disease and Disaster  (Read 1291150 times)

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
I thought Macrōn already made concessions?
每天生气

VomKriege

• Do the moron
I thought Macrōn already made concessions?

He did, to the tune of an estimated 10-15 billions euros.
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
France will hit debt of 100% GDP next year. Macron is utterly fucked.
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
You may or may not remember of Alexandre Benalla, the former security member attached to Macron who got to brutalize protesting students along with riot police as if being a sworn cop on last 1st May, who subsequently got terminated and is awaiting trial.

Well it turns out he's been busy flying all over Africa using two "diplomatic passports" given to him while at the service of French presidency. For instance allegedly meeting Tchad president Idriss Déby a few days before Macron made an official visit to this very important partner in Africa.

Benalla says he was in company of a foreign investment delegation as a private consultant and both Foreign Affairs and the Presidency also went on the record that he wasn't acting on their behalf and that the "diplomatic passports" were requested back several times since July. Now that the story went public, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is saying they will bring the case to a prosecutor.

The passports by themselves don't grant diplomatic privilege but it's not hard to see why it's a terrible look. Especially since both passports were issued on May 24th.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 04:47:04 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Macron has been somewhat de-fucked by the EU.

EU rules demand no deficit bigger than 2% of GDP.
The Italians got shit, because they dared to go as high as 2.2% or 2.4%!

BAD ITALIANS BAD!

But the French have been given a green light with no fuss for a 'one time' 3% deficit.  :lol
🤴

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
You may or may not remember of Alexandre Benalla, the former security member attached to Macron who got to brutalize protesting students along with riot police as if being a sworn cop on last 1st May, who subsequently got terminated and is awaiting trial.

Well it turns out he's been busy flying all over Africa using two "diplomatic passports" given to him while at the service of French presidency. For instance allegedly meeting Tchad president Idriss Déby a few days before Macron made an official visit to this very important partner in Africa.

Benalla says he was in company of a foreign investment delegation as a private consultant and both Foreign Affairs and the Presidency also went on the record that he wasn't acting on their behalf and that the "diplomatic passports" were requested back several times since July. Now that the story went public, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is saying they will bring the case to a prosecutor.

The passports by themselves don't grant diplomatic privilege but it's not hard to see why it's a terrible look. Especially since both passports were issued on May 24th.

He also claimed while answering to the senate a while ago (so under oath) that he left them in his office when he left his position :lol

shosta

One team: "We're going to open up the airfield, send up our drone to look for it."

Some other team: "HEY THERE'S THE DRONE, SHUT DOWN THE AIRFIELD ASAP!"

First team: "They're shutting it down, bring our drone in to recharge the battery."
Maybe the police filmed that and distributed the video.
https://inews.co.uk/news/police-admit-drones-gatwick-airport-sightings/

the bore's resident libertariatī called it days before the state had to walk back its LIES
每天生气

shosta

Police received 115 reports of sightings in the area, including 92 which have been confirmed as coming from “credible people”, said Mr York.
Credible people like raist  ::)
每天生气

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Credible people
 :putin
🤴

Raist

OK fine, I was the one flying the drones. Happy?

In other news.

Concerns have been raised over the readiness of a British firm contracted by the government to run extra ferries in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

Seaborne Freight was awarded a £13.8m contract this week to run a freight service between Ramsgate and Ostend.

The firm has never run a ferry service and a local councillor said it would be impossible to launch before Brexit.

The government said it had awarded the contract in "the full knowledge that Seaborne is a new shipping provider".

Sounds like a plan  :aweshum

For extra laughs, this new company (founded in 2017, by the way) appears to have connections with some very generous donors to the Tory party :thinking

https://twitter.com/Scotscouser/status/1079529510117298176

shosta

Honestly, why pay taxes if your government doesn't even do its job ever anymore?
每天生气

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Because otherwise you'll end up with chaos, the system fails and .... uh wait.
🤴

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Honestly, why pay taxes if your government doesn't even do its job ever anymore?

That's the GOP strategy, yeah.
dog

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Silas Malafia, an influential televangelist and close friend of
Bolsonaro, said developed countries who centuries ago cut down their own forests should pay if they wanted Brazil to preserve the Amazon.

“We’re going to preserve everything because the gringos destroyed what they had?” he said.

I mean these people are not wrong

Ill be willing to pay a rainforest tax if that kept them from cutting it down

team filler

• filler
  • filler

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

kingv

Keep a stiff upper lip.

British people like potatoes.

Edit: British politics are goddamn crazy and make Trump look competent.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 02:06:33 PM by kingv »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
The French are at it again. More protestors, more fires and one secretary had to escape his office through the backdoor after the YellowVests tried to gain entry.

Rumor has it that they want to march onto Macron's Palace tonight.
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
There's less protestors than last week, and the numbers were already lower then.
 ???
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
There's less protestors than last week, and the numbers were already lower then.
 ???
Are you saying that the internet is wrong?  :thinking
🤴

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
No, just that you should apply at the Daily Mail.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
I'll retract the previous information because at the end of the day there were more people this Saturday than the previous one nationally, contrary to reports within the day. Attendance is still lower than 4 weeks ago but as I said earlier it could very well linger for more weeks.
ὕβρις

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
The Russians were probably distracted and didn't get out enough of their orders.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
I don't get it.
dog

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frau_Holle
tl;dr she makes it snow

Caption reads: "Frau Holle is dead, but she provoked it/deserves it."

Swing and a miss with this one, filler.

Raist

Former UKIP leader Nigel Farage says he would run for parliament again, if the UK did not leave the EU.

Speaking on the Jeremy Vine on 5 show, he said: "I don't want to, I'm a businessman. I came into politics because I felt so strongly about this issue, I’d much rather never be involved in politics again. Brexit gets delivered, we get on with our lives.

"But I fear I’ve got a few more battles to fight."

:lol

I'm sure sixth time's the charm, Nigel.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
- May is likely to lose
- May migh step down if she loses big or try again
- Corbyn might call a no-confidence vote that could get enough support for Brexiteers and that would lead to new general elections

:doge
🤴

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
Brexit deal voted down by parliament 432 to 202.

Have no idea if just symbolic.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Corbyn has called for a vote of no confidence.  :lol

Biggest defeat for a government in British history  :doge

Pound ralies on May's defeat?

https://twitter.com/MelizaHaradinaj/status/1085280355421175808
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 04:49:05 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Raist

Well, if you ignore the fact that it started going up long before the result was announced.

jorma

GPB/EUR and GPB/USD rallied all the way up to +0,02% for the day  :lol

Such a powerful message the forex traders sent to the UK!

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Hey man, picking the range on a Y-axis is an art.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Hey man, picking the range on a Y-axis is an art.
Perfected by Nvidia(TM)
🤴

agrajag

Corbyn's vote of no confidence was more epic than Padme's in Attack of the Clones

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Brexit is a bigger shambles then Trump in the white house

Raist

DUP and Tory rebels: this deal sucks, you suck, we won't vote for it. We'll still vote for you in the no confidence challenge though :marimo

VomKriege

• Do the moron
As far as I understand the organization of upcoming European elections is under way, obviously with no British representation since the UK has triggered the process to remove itself from the union and it's too late to even imagine stalling that so even in the unlikely possibility that the UK would rescind Brexit (apparently the latest European Court of Justice ruling leaves room for it or stalling the deadline for exit despite the obvious impracticality) they would probably end up in some transitional status for the next few years regardless.

Basically quand le vin est tiré, il faut le boire or there's no coming back from this. I don't know a new Cabinet, whoever would end up in it, could alleviate it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 09:40:52 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Brexit is a bigger shambles then Trump in the white house

Conservative 'governance' :rofl
©ZH

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
As far as I understand the organization of upcoming European elections is under way, obviously with no British representation since the UK has triggered the process to remove itself from the union and it's too late to even imagine stalling that so even in the unlikely possibility that the UK would rescind Brexit (apparently the latest European Court of Justice ruling leaves room for it or stalling the deadline for exit despite the obvious impracticality) they would probably end up in some transitional status for the next few years regardless.

Basically quand le vin est tiré, il faut le boire or there's no coming back from this. I don't know a new Cabinet, whoever would end up in it, could alleviate it.
The EU is moving closer to a German/France super state. Macron and Merkel will sign some treaty in Aacken soon that will basically put the political, defense and financial integration of Germany and France on a fast track.
Even though it is possible that across Europe the anti-EU and Eurosceptic parties win the elections and become the second biggest party in the EU parliament it seems that they are too late.

Brexit is incredible. Michael Gove is now trashing Corbyn.  :lol

*March 29*
"PLEASE PROCEEEED THE VOTE YES OR NO TO A SECOND REFERENDUM!!"

"THE NAY'S HAVE IT!"
"ORDER ORDER!!!"

Meanwhile in Germany:
 :stahp

May survives no confidence vote but the deal didn't pass last night.
Back to Brussels!  :lol
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 02:18:01 PM by Nintex »
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler

benjipwns

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/14/i-dont-trust-the-government-to-look-after-me-or-my-dog-meet-the-brexit-stockpilers
Some people are stockpiling food, medicine and even pet treats in anticipation of mass shortages after a no-deal Brexit. Are they overreacting, or should we be following their example?

Jo Elgarf doesn’t look like you would imagine a prepper to look. She’s not a libertarian, camouflaged and armed to the eyeballs, crawling around the woods in Montana, skinning a squirrel for breakfast and fuelling up for the apocalypse. She lives with her husband and three young children in a sleepy suburb of south-west London.

Elgarf is happy to call herself a prepper, though; she is a member – and a moderator – of one of a growing number of prepper groups on social media. Hers – an anti-Brexit Facebook group called 48% Preppers – gets between 100 and 200 requests a day to join. Everyone wants to be ready for a no-deal Brexit.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Latest news from the government will the full confidence of the house of commons, her majesty and the people.
https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1087057901632569344

🤴

benjipwns

https://www.wsj.com/articles/charles-de-gaulle-saw-brexit-coming-11548104472
De Gaulle—the leader of the Free French resistance in World War II who went on to found the Fifth Republic under which France still lives today—understood the problem best. He thought Britain would never truly be at home in a European union. “England in effect is insular, she is maritime,” he said in his remarks blocking Britain’s entry into what was then called the Common Market in 1963. “She has in all her doings very marked and very original habits and traditions.” He added that “the nature, the structure, the very situation that are England’s differ profoundly from those of the continentals.”

Moreover, from de Gaulle’s point of view, admitting Britain into Europe was like letting a Trojan horse through the gates. He believed Europe faced a choice between pursuing its original goal of a deep integration of the original six members and opting for a larger, looser association that included Britain. A larger and looser Europe, he believed, would be a weaker Europe. It would be unable to develop into a true world power that could face Russia and the U.S. as an equal.

Today de Gaulle looks like a prophet. EU membership has left Britain miserable and divided. The rest of the 28-member EU is overextended, stressed and geopolitically weak.
But is remaining in the EU an option? EU supporters like France’s President Emmanuel Macron want to strengthen European institutions. If Britain remains in the EU, it will fight centralization tooth and nail. If EU supporters succeed in strengthening the union, pro-Brexit sentiment will come roaring back. But if they fail—and the chances of failure rise if Britain remains in the union—a deadlocked EU will continue to flounder. In that case, pro-Brexit sentiment among British voters is also likely to grow.

These are exactly the problems de Gaulle foresaw in the 1960s. For Europe’s sake and for Britain’s, it is time to cut the cord. A sullen Britain in a failing EU doesn’t serve anyone’s interests; neither does an endless haggling over the logistics of divorce.

Polish Foreign Minister Jacek Czaputowicz thinks he has an answer: limiting the Irish backstop to five years. During that period, Britain and the EU would look for ways to keep the Irish border open, but there would be no permanent British commitment to a permanent backstop. It’s an idea the Irish reject, but one of the strengths of the EU is the ability of its diplomats to find compromises.
if Trump is Winston Churchill, who is de Gaulle? :thinking

Occam

The Australian government is nuts. Besides Trump and the Brexiters, these people are the biggest morons on the planet.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/22/technology/australia-cellphone-encryption-security.html

shosta

How Iran walked into Israel's trap

[...] the Iranians have again fallen into a well-hidden trap laid by Israel: The events of the past two days are an almost exact replica of Operation House of Cards from May 2018. In both cases, the Iranians tried to punish Israel for bombing Revolutionary Guards targets in Syria. In Operation House of Cards, Israel tracked Iran's preparations to avenge the killing of Iranian soldiers at a Syrian airport on February 4, 2018. It took the Iranians three months to organize the plan, all the while under the watchful eye of Israel. And in early May, Israel carried out its preliminary attack at al-Kiswah base near Damascus, ostensibly to destroy missiles aimed at its territory. After the attack, the Iranians had no option but to respond, launching rockets a few days later from the Damascus region towards the Golan Heights.

Israel had stage-managed this chain of events thanks to its intelligence. The Iranian rockets did not cause any damage, but did provide a pretext as well as legitimacy for what followed: Israel used its own response to the Iranian violation of its sovereignty to eliminate the bulk of Iran's military infrastructure in Syria in one fell swoop. The Iranians fell for Israel's poker face.
This sequence played out again over last two days: At the end of December, Israel reportedly attacked Damascus airport, killing a number of Iranian fighters. And in this instance too, the Iranians plotted their revenge under Israel's watchful eye, setting up a surface-to-surface missile in an autonomous Iranian area among Syrian bases in al-Kiswah.

On Sunday, just as in the first attack in May, the Israel Air Force struck the area. The Iranians, just as in the first attack in May, were pushed into a pre-planned response, firing their missile at Mount Hermon. Israel had predicted this response, and had an Iron Dome battery in place to shoot down the rocket. It also used this attack as an opportunity for "revenge". Just as in the first attack in May, the Syrians reported parallel air and surface-to-surface strikes on targets in Damascus, several hours later and under the cover of darkness.
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler
the black israelites should run israel. there'd be less war and more yelling dumb shit at people.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Coup in Venezuela.

Opposition party leader has assumed presidency.
Trump and Bolsonaro support his power grab.

Unknown what the Maduro regime will do.
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
 :fbm

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
Honestly, how much worse could it be than Maduro?  :trumps
que

team filler

• filler
  • filler
how much worse could it be than saddam? than gaddafi? 

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
how much worse could it be than saddam? than gaddafi?
Surely the US won't let a country where they meddled in their politics fall into disarray. :hitler
que