Author Topic: International Politics Thread - Disease and Disaster  (Read 1291399 times)

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
The shitshow must go on.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47577915

Five Labour MPs have quit party roles to defy orders and vote against holding a fresh Brexit referendum.

Labour ordered its MPs to abstain on a cross-party bid to delay Brexit to allow a referendum on backing whatever deal is agreed or remaining in the EU.

But 41 of its MPs rebelled, with 24 supporting a referendum and 17 voting to oppose one.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
I don't understand why they don't just vote to cancel Brexit.
The Tories are the one who promised to allow a referendum and follow the results, they can't really pull this off, especially since they claimed Labour would ignore any results and do as they wished. That's why they're endlessly trying to delay the thing, they need to bump their margins back up so they can try and survive an election post going back on it.

Arguably holding another referendum on some kind of shitty "plan" is the best way out, but they're scared to death it will pass and they'll be double locked in.

Labour should by all accounts be dead in the water from shooting themselves in the foot constantly, but the Tories saw THAT as a challenge.

Raist

benjipwns

So the UK's going to come out of this fine by using blackmail and get to work from home?

Mandark

• Icon
AFAIK, polling consistently puts Leave ahead of Remain. Change the question to "why not hold a second referendum and get the same result?" and it answers itself.

benjipwns

It's basically been tied lately but polling on it hasn't been the greatest in the past, there's a pretty good lead for holding a second referendum though.

Labour's dropped quite a bit in the polls lately, they may have to bite the bullet sooner rather than later and hold a second referendum and general election in a short window this year. Hoping they can get Remain and also win the election.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
Hoping they can get Remain and also win the election.
This is literally the first time I've ever read benji desire a political result to occur
每天生气

BisMarckie

benji being deeply invested in British politics is quite the plot twist :doge

shosta

We have to stop Glen from compromising all these Bore accounts.
每天生气

benjipwns

benji being deeply invested in British politics is quite the plot twist :doge
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Sealand
In 1987, the UK extended its territorial waters from 3 to 12 nautical miles (6 to 22 km). Sealand now sits inside British waters.
The biggest crime ever committed by the English! :wag

shosta

Collective punishment time in Gaza. 100 targets hit overnight.

每天生气

VomKriege

• Do the moron
https://play.acast.com/s/warcollege/everythingyouknowaboutputin-andrussia-iswrong

British scholar on Russia Galeotti is back on War College and as always offer a sober, grounded but insightful opinion on the Putin's system (or lack thereof) and the somewhat inappropriately named "hybrid warfare" (which is what Russians calls what they perceive the West to be doing, not what they preach.).

Some of the topics touched on : Russian backed biker gangs in Eastern Europe, their presence in the Balkans and the uneasy partnership of circumstances with China ("the necessity of today and the nightmare of tomorrow") that Russia has put on its back burner.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 06:57:38 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
So what exactly is happening with Brexit now?

Raist

EU:

:yeshrug

UK:

jorma

everyone is trying to figure out how to pretend that the last three years never happened

Raist

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

kingv

Brexit makes me proud to be an American. Like sure, we voted in Trumptard but at least more than half the country hates him.

In the UK there’s like a million signs that Brexit is going to be a disaster for the UK, and the population still might prefer it to staying in the EU.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Brexit makes me proud to be an American. Like sure, we voted in Trumptard but at least more than half the country hates him.

In the UK there’s like a million signs that Brexit is going to be a disaster for the UK, and the population still might prefer it to staying in the EU.
Brexit is like an Amazon.com dark UI pattern for cancelling your membership. The EU never thought it possible that someone would leave so they made that almost impossible (or rather, spend no time thinking about how that would work).
In fact, everything that relates to Brexit is a political miscalculation. From May ending up as PM to the Brexit secretary resigning after finishing up negotiating the deal.
🤴

Raist

To be fair nearly half the population was against it. And likely well over half if you count resident EU citizens, which weren't given the opportunity to vote but I assume would have done so in favour of Remain.

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Trains now more than ever on time in Chechnya.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47614971
ὕβρις

Raist

Raist

Can't believe that the Speaker of the House is applying a well established rule there. What a POS.

Raist

BBC's Political editor is mad AF (read the thread) :lol
That's some great journalistic integrity there.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1107722769461055489

Meanwhile, Bercow is like "no fucks given".

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1107935118394642432

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
People vote for brexit by slightest of margins; Maybot; people's will must be executed no second vote even years later

House crushes Mays deal in biggest deal ever; Maybot; lets vote on this two more times within weeks to be sure

:doge

Occam

The BBC really has become a huge embarrassment in the last decade or two. They used to have standards and impartiality. Now it's pro-government yellow press with some Rupert Murdoch mixed in.

benjipwns

https://apnews.com/ba03be7eb49a4794ae23b059656ca75d
Nursultan Nazarbayev, the only leader that independent Kazakhstan has ever known, abruptly announced his resignation Tuesday after three decades in power, raising uncertainty over the country’s future course.

The 78-year-old said in a televised address to the oil-rich nation that he has taken the “difficult” decision to terminate his authority as president, effective on Wednesday.

He did not give a specific reason, but noted that he would have marked 30 years on the job later this year. He said he sees his mission as ensuring the transit of power to a new generation of politicians.

“It was an honor for me to serve the people,” he said. “I have worked hard to fulfill the nation’s will.”

Nazarbayev added that he would retain the position of the chairman of the nation’s Security Council and the head of the ruling party. “I will serve you until the end of my days,” he said.

He said that upper house speaker Kassym-Jomart Tokayev will serve as the interim head of state in line with the constitution until a new election is held.
:kazakhcry

shosta

BBC's Political editor is mad AF (read the thread) :lol
That's some great journalistic integrity there.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1107722769461055489

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1107723054036193286

The hassle of having to submit a different bill? lol
每天生气

https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1107747463631388673

Isreal is really ahead of the curve compared to the rest of the world, even when it comes to campaign ads.

benjipwns

:rofl at putting the jacket on her shoulders and then standing next to the painting

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Raist

Man, Sarah Michelle Gellar's new career is going places.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
 :mindblown
Realsatire

A real-life event that is unintentionally so exaggerated and ridiculous that is perceived as satire.

Occam

:mindblown
Realsatire

A real-life event that is unintentionally so exaggerated and ridiculous that is perceived as satire.

That's a great German word, it aptly describes Trump's presidency, too.

Raist

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47636011

Theresa May will not be asking the EU for a long delay when she formally requests that Brexit is postponed, Downing Street says.

No 10 added that the PM shared the public's "frustration" at Parliament's "failure to take a decision".

BBC assistant political editor Norman Smith said the delay would not be beyond the end of June.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Man hope we grow a pair and just kick em out now.

Or force a second referendum.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
May is going to make a statement.

Some people say she might call for a general election.
Others are reporting that May will adress the nation directly bypassing the MP's and will ask the population to voice their support for her deal and thus put pressure on MP's to pass it.

🤴

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
"Sorry we lied about all the benefits that leaving the EU would bring this great country. Most of you all know, it will make things worse. We will continue to seek delay until it is more politically beneficial for those in my party." -May
©ZH

Raist

Man hope we grow a pair and just kick em out now.

Or force a second referendum.

Your wish may be granted.

The EU will only agree to a short delay to Brexit if MPs approve the current withdrawal agreement next week, Theresa May has been told.

[...]

The PM will making a statement from Downing Street at 20:15 GMT.

[...]

While a delay until 30 June "had its merits", Mr Tusk also suggested there were "political and legal" questions about delaying Brexit beyond 23 May - when European elections will be held.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47636011

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
Man, Nintex is probably enjoying these Dutch elections so far.

Raist

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Meanwhile in Holland this guy is winning the senate elections.

:mynicca

Man, Nintex is probably enjoying these Dutch elections so far.
I have no clue how Thierry is going to fill these seats.

Call Harry Mens?  :lol

LMAO FvD won big in a province for which they have no program  :lol
🤴

shosta

The EU will only agree to a short delay to Brexit if MPs approve the current withdrawal agreement next week, Theresa May has been told.
I just saw this :rofl

the entire point of asking for the delay is to get a different deal! What a hilarious response.
每天生气

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
I like how our government has been so bad people are willingly voting for neo-nazis.

Raist

I just saw this :rofl

the entire point of asking for the delay is to get a different deal! What a hilarious response.

They've made it clear for months that they will not renegociate the terms.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
I like how our government has been so bad people are willingly voting for neo-nazis.

🤴

Raist

BREAKING NEWS

May's statement was a whole bunch of fucking nothing (shocking, I know).

Choice quote:

Some have suggested holding a 2nd referendum. I do not believe that's what you [THE PEOPLE] want and it is not what I want. We asked you the question already and you gave us your answer

Let me get my third MEANINGFUL VOTE next week tho, Bercow pls.

:dead

shosta

They've made it clear for months that they will not renegociate the terms.
I love 1) all the fanfare every time she "goes to the continent" and 2) everyone waiting for a new deal, as if there is some new deal they can get if they only just BELIEVE IN THE GOVERNMENT and DO THEIR BEST. This is it! The UK has no leverage!
It's "high time" MPs made a decision about Brexit.
a third decision? :lol
每天生气

Raist

I love how she still mentioned June 30th in her statement. The EU has made it clear that's not gonna fly.

shosta

I really do want to see the no-deal scenario happen out of pure malevolence. Total catastrophe, one huge punch in the nose to all the people who wanted to kick the pakis out etc. Maybe Irish reunification happens. Scottish secession. It would be amazing. Like, you want to be an ethnostate? Here you go! (Sorry Raist)
每天生气

Raist

I, too, suffer from morbid curiosity TBH.

In other news, https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-90-say-handling-of-negotiations-is-national-humiliation-sky-data-poll-11670995

Nine in ten Britons think the way the UK is dealing with Brexit is a "national humiliation", a Sky Data poll reveals.

You don't say :lol

Raist

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
The blame game between May and the other Tories will start soon.  :lol
🤴

jorma

it's both amazing and appalling that she hasn't resigned, even if her tory mp's aren't exactly blameless

Raist

The blame game between May and the other Tories will start soon.  :lol

It already started, she spent half of her 5mins statement trash talking MPs.