Author Topic: International Politics Thread - Disease and Disaster  (Read 1300308 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1108489647271936000

:heh

Meanwhile in his victory speech Baudet kept talking for 40 minutes about architecture, defeating mammoths, the entire history of his party, some political points and even some poems to fill up the air time of the public broadcaster.   :rofl
I hope one of his speeches will be aired with English subtitles once so everyone can enjoy.

The Netherlands is one of the few countries with so many parties that you can "win" big in an election with ~12% of the popular vote and end up with absolutely no power at all.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 07:46:27 PM by Nintex »
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
https://apnews.com/ba03be7eb49a4794ae23b059656ca75d
Nursultan Nazarbayev, the only leader that independent Kazakhstan has ever known, abruptly announced his resignation Tuesday after three decades in power, raising uncertainty over the country’s future course.

The 78-year-old said in a televised address to the oil-rich nation that he has taken the “difficult” decision to terminate his authority as president, effective on Wednesday.

He did not give a specific reason, but noted that he would have marked 30 years on the job later this year. He said he sees his mission as ensuring the transit of power to a new generation of politicians.

“It was an honor for me to serve the people,” he said. “I have worked hard to fulfill the nation’s will.”

Nazarbayev added that he would retain the position of the chairman of the nation’s Security Council and the head of the ruling party. “I will serve you until the end of my days,” he said.

He said that upper house speaker Kassym-Jomart Tokayev will serve as the interim head of state in line with the constitution until a new election is held.
:kazakhcry

I went to Kazakhstan not too long ago for work. Lovely country and people, but it did make me laugh how so much shit was named after Nazarbayez. Anything big in Astana has his name on it. Even the (English speaking) people there openly joked about how they had a ""democracy"". Hopefully things turn out well for the Kazakhs. (I also felt kinda bad for them over Borat tbh).
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Idk why Dutch people keep voting for a rebranded LPF for two decades now.

This is the most recent fraud thats promising Nexit pipedreams like closed borders but open trade  :lol

Only the true illiterati would vote for someone running with such a program after the Brexit debacle.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
https://apnews.com/ba03be7eb49a4794ae23b059656ca75d
Nursultan Nazarbayev, the only leader that independent Kazakhstan has ever known, abruptly announced his resignation Tuesday after three decades in power, raising uncertainty over the country’s future course.

The 78-year-old said in a televised address to the oil-rich nation that he has taken the “difficult” decision to terminate his authority as president, effective on Wednesday.

He did not give a specific reason, but noted that he would have marked 30 years on the job later this year. He said he sees his mission as ensuring the transit of power to a new generation of politicians.

“It was an honor for me to serve the people,” he said. “I have worked hard to fulfill the nation’s will.”

Nazarbayev added that he would retain the position of the chairman of the nation’s Security Council and the head of the ruling party. “I will serve you until the end of my days,” he said.

He said that upper house speaker Kassym-Jomart Tokayev will serve as the interim head of state in line with the constitution until a new election is held.
:kazakhcry

I went to Kazakhstan not too long ago for work. Lovely country and people, but it did make me laugh how so much shit was named after Nazarbayez. Anything big in Astana has his name on it. Even the (English speaking) people there openly joked about how they had a ""democracy"". Hopefully things turn out well for the Kazakhs. (I also felt kinda bad for them over Borat tbh).

I was in Kazakhstan like in 2009 and stayes with locals, this guy told me the capital was moved to Astana because it was too cold there to hold anti government protests  :lol

Occam

The EU will only agree to a short delay to Brexit if MPs approve the current withdrawal agreement next week, Theresa May has been told.

Excellent, that is precisely what I would have done.

Occam

BREAKING NEWS

May's statement was a whole bunch of fucking nothing (shocking, I know).

Choice quote:

Some have suggested holding a 2nd referendum. I do not believe that's what you [THE PEOPLE] want and it is not what I want. We asked you the question already and you gave us your answer

Let me get my third MEANINGFUL VOTE next week tho, Bercow pls.

:dead

Why have elections every four years? Hold one election and stick with the result forever.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Someone gave Thierry some English subtitles
'

:)
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
why isn't this man the prime minister  :doge

🤴

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018

Raist

The BBC's Europe editor Katya Adler says the latest draft conclusions of EU leaders on a Brexit delay suggest there has been a "softening of stance".

After really wanting to believe Theresa May's Brexit deal would somehow scrape through Parliament, their unity begun to fray she says.

"When the prime minister spoke to them... she was unable to provide them with any concrete reassurances that that would, indeed, be the case.

"They want to avoid a no-deal Brexit and suddenly that reality, or possible reality, was starring them in the face."

She says their draft conclusions were now offering the UK an "unconditional extension".

:crowdlaff

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
but it did make me laugh how so much shit was named after Nazarbayez. Anything big in Astana has his name on it.
Much like the Robert C. Byrd Memorial State of West Virginia.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
The BBC's Europe editor Katya Adler says the latest draft conclusions of EU leaders on a Brexit delay suggest there has been a "softening of stance".

After really wanting to believe Theresa May's Brexit deal would somehow scrape through Parliament, their unity begun to fray she says.

"When the prime minister spoke to them... she was unable to provide them with any concrete reassurances that that would, indeed, be the case.

"They want to avoid a no-deal Brexit and suddenly that reality, or possible reality, was starring them in the face."

She says their draft conclusions were now offering the UK an "unconditional extension".

:crowdlaff
O my Nintex was right.
🤴

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
Alright Nintex, fess up. Who did you vote for?
每天生气

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Alright Nintex, fess up. Who did you vote for?
Well I live in a coastal town so the biggest party of Zuid Holland obviously.

If you count D66 as part of the right, then 74% of our town voted for a rightwing party.
With FvD in first place at 22.9% and the VVD in second place with 22.7%.

And that is after the recent merger with a nearby town which is more left than we are (which is partly why our towns were merged to prevent a 99% take-over of the right).

Anyhow this is just a warming up for the real event. The European Elections. Brussels will be horrified by who we send their way  :lol
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 09:39:10 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Tripon

The United Kingdom won't crash out of the EU on Brexit day, March 29. The European Council has given the U.K. a short Brexit extension to April 12, at which point they expect to see Prime Minister Theresa May's Brexit deal approved by the U.K. Parliament.

What's next: In the unlikely event that May can secure parliamentary approval for her deal by April 12, the U.K. will exit the EU on or before May 22. If May cannot get that approval, she will need to return to the EU "to indicate a way forward". Any attempt to remain in the EU past May 22 is likely to require the U.K. holding EU elections on May 23.

https://www.axios.com/europe-grants-the-uk-a-short-brexit-delay--a32a65ea-2ed0-48da-be47-1bc52c08410a.html

11 days.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
D66 is centre though for like forever, and pro europe

shosta

yeah when I think european right wing, i think "ban islam" and "recolonize the dutch indies"
每天生气

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
 Btw "china is doing nothing" news Nintex doesn't want people to see

Also makes the whole PvD program look even more dumb with its complaining about electric cars and China   :lol

China is already doing more then the Netherlands, also I love how Right wing populists like to ignore the amount of polution in China is due to demand for cheap shit and shit regulation in the West. St

Electric vehicles have displaced about 3 percent of total oil
consumption growth since 2011, a larger share than ever before. And so far, more than three-quarters of that oil displacement has come from electric buses, Bloomberg reports.

Most of this is occurring in China, Bloomberg notes. A report last year found that of about 385,000 electric buses in the world in 2017, about 99 percent of them were in China, with rapid growth still taking place. The city of Shenzhen alone announced in 2017 that it had completely electrified its fleet of 16,000 buses.

https://electrek.co/2019/03/20/chinese-electric-buses-oil/

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
yeah when I think european right wing, i think "ban islam" and "recolonize the dutch indies"

Yeah D66 is not that at all, just a pragmatist party,  I've voted for them once and knew some people active in the party.

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
The Kazakh government went "fuck it" and decided to rename Astana to Nursultan. At least he didn't have to call the vote himself  :lol

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-47638619

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

BisMarckie

Former Soviet states that went full Banana-Republic dictatorship are my fetish.

Azerbaijan :rejoice

Raist

So apparently, Boeing went with a paid DLC model for some of their safety features. What in the fuck.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/21/business/boeing-safety-features-charge.html

As the pilots of the doomed Boeing jets in Ethiopia and Indonesia fought to control their planes, they lacked two notable safety features in their cockpits.

One reason: Boeing charged extra for them.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Brexit means oh shit we need to draft candidates for the European election.
ὕβρις

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
So apparently, Boeing went with a paid DLC model for some of their safety features. What in the fuck.

As the pilots of the doomed Boeing jets in Ethiopia and Indonesia fought to control their planes, they lacked two notable safety features in their cockpits.

Just like cars tbf. Invisible hand of the market in full effect. Now people will vote with their wallets.

This could be in the late stage capitalism thread.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
The Kazakh government went "fuck it" and decided to rename Astana to Nursultan. At least he didn't have to call the vote himself  :lol

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-47638619

Finally I have visited a city that has changed names  :-*

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊

That's worse than the software bugs or certification shenanigans I assumed were to blame.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Another great spin move by the French government as they announced, after the resurgence of property destruction last Saturday in the Yellow Jackets demonstrations which caught them off guard (?), that the infantry soldiers used in the Sentinelle operation (Deployment to patrol after the Bataclan shootings and an update of the Vigipirate plans that have been in place since the GIA bombs in the 90's) could be used tomorrow in the security apparatus for the planned protests. Everyone basically freaked out at the terrible idea (justifiably, up to journalists specialized in military affairs) and ever since the government had to clarify it would only be static guard of some public buildings and not real law enforcement and crowd control but you still had the Paris Military Prefect being questioned this morning and saying the soldiers could open fire if their lives or those of the people they protect would be in danger. Obviously I guess it's the rules of engagement and you cannot rule out an extreme case... But the timing is :what, like why even talk about it, it's like you're inviting assholes to try something to either get some images of the army retreating from a heated situation or turning the thing into an insurrection firestarter. Especially considering that while there is some violence and casualties, none of the protests could qualify as a full fledged riot endangering lives (though last Saturday the Fire Brigade has to save some people after the protestors torched a bank which was under an apartment building...)

This government has been a total clusterfuck with communication, not a week goes by without the PM or the President coming out and disavowing / "clarifying" something a minister said earlier. I don't know if it's some 4D chess PR strategy but it looks really poor.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 12:51:11 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Occam

That's worse than the software bugs or certification shenanigans I assumed were to blame.

Whoever decided to paywall software safety features on airplanes deserves to go to prison for many years.

Raist

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
The final count is in and Baudet has won another seat in the province Groningen. Bringing his grand total to 5, equal to the second biggest party in that province.  8)
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight

Welp, he's right.
🤴

Raist

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
So the cabinet is trying to oust May
https://twitter.com/BBCHelenaLee/status/1109572097980989440

And Gove is trying to undermine the person they want to appoint to replace her
https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1109565474717597697

:doge
🤴

Raist

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47678763

There was no independent verification of the numbers but BBC correspondent Richard Lister, who was at the scene, said it was a "very densely packed" protest and people were still arriving in Parliament Square five hours after the march began.

I love how ecologists have been able to like, since the dawn of time, accurately enumerate counts in large populations by sampling just a tiny area of the whole, but when it comes to protests it's always "it's simply impossible to tell what the real number was :yeshrug" :lol

shosta

how dare those people try to suppress the will of the people
每天生气

Raist

omg :dead

For those who don't know, that's Rees-Mogg, one of the most prominent hard brexiteers and a bigger lying piece of shit than Johnson and Farage combined.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
More than half of patent demands last year were filed in Asia and Xi Jinping is arriving in Paris for an official visit coming from Italy (who signed a deal to enter the Belt & Road initiative) and a stop in the Monaco principality (apparently due to switch to 5G as a test bed).
ὕβρις

kingv

Interesting they are going to meet at Checkers, when it’s obviously just a knock off Rallys.

Raist

Interesting they are going to meet at Checkers

Why, you think Theresa May has better things to do than chill out in her countryside residence for the sunny week-end?

Tripon

Should have went to Chili's instead.

kingv

Chili’s BBQ Smokehouse Platter is legit no matter what anybody says. And it’s $3 off on Wednesday’s.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
New poll shows Thierry Baudet(FvD) in the lead for the Dutch parliamentary elections as well.

Thierry now has 2 seats, stands to gain 24.

However we won't have those for a long time unless...

Our government is in a tough position. One of the coalition parties demands that the government passes the climate bill to meet the paris accord or they will stop supporting the coalition and thus the cabinet has to resign triggering elections.
The party that made that threat lost half their seats in the recent election that the FvD won. All will become clear in the next 4 - 6 weeks when the government makes their decision on the climate.

The VVD(biggest party) can either:
- Move to the left significantly and get an electoral beating next election with voters moving to the FvD (VVD is supposed to be a rightwing party but they've moved left for this coalition government)
- Move to the right and lose support for their current government which triggers an early election which the FvD will certainly win but not with the margins they could if the VVD moved left

Meanwhile Antifa is calling for Thierry Baudet (leader of the FvD) to be shot. The left is panicking because Thierry is not only getting votes from Wilders(PVV) and the right but also the hard marxist left (SP).
The right is panicking also because Thierry's party is seen as 'decent' right as opposed to Wilders' 'extreme' right. In fact he's seeking advice from the former leader of the VVD and other political bigwigs.
His party seems willing to compromise and actually govern at a local level, which is something the PVV never did so they were always outcasts.

The strategy of the establishment parties completely backfired. They sorta boosted FvD in favor of the PVV. So Wilders would lose his seats to the FvD.
Wilders lost about 33% of support to the FvD already but what they didn't count on was that their parties (across the left and right) would be equally drained by this new political force.

Just imagine how much the establishment parties (especially the left) fucked up when ordinary workers voted for a guy that plays Bach, Wagner and Mozart, speaks Latin in parliament and enjoys reading books and sniffing lavender.
This is no Trump that pretends to be 'one of them', he's doing the exact opposite as a self-proclaimed intellectual.

There's also the European elections in May. Which are so close that FvD is poised to send a massive delegation to Brussels as well. And turn-out for EU elections is low and campaign efforts by the other parties minimal.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 07:45:24 PM by Nintex »
🤴

benjipwns

Interesting they are going to meet at Checkers, when it’s obviously just a knock off Rallys.
It's the same company. :bolo

hungrynoob

• boo
i look forward to leaving the EU.

kingv

It's the same company. :bolo

:ohhh

Both are pretty bad. Nothing is as trash tier as cookout.

benjipwns

The last time I went to a Rally's a guy in a purple glitter car pulled up and yelled at these women in line "whores! where's my burgers at?" :american

Tripon

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
Blablabla

The right wing workers dont care if you are gay (fortuyn) have an immigrant wife (trump, wilders) or if you listen to classical music (baudet)  or don't eat meat (hitler) mate.

If you promise to kick out the foreigners, close borders etc you get their vote.

Just another charlatan.

Raist

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47683059

Environment Secretary Michael Gove told reporters it was "not the time to change the captain of the ship".

And the PM's de facto deputy David Lidington insisted he was "100% behind" Mrs May.

But the coup.

Raist

Petition to revoke A50 is now above 5.4M signatures. Not that the government will not ignore it, but still.

Unsurprisingly, the hot spots are large cities, and the Cambridge and Oxford areas.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
I think repelling or having a second vote may be a problem, because if Remains prevails it will have shades of the 2005 EU Constitution trash fire. I'm not sure the EU needs anymore obvious snobs of popular will.

Brexit needs to go to its bitter end, the sooner the better.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
France voted to privatize the Paris Airport company (manages Orly and Roissy CDG). The vote was conducted at 6am after the debate for the day was prolonged, with 27 votes for and 15 against (the full Assembly is 577 MPs). It is, IIRC, a timed concession.

The National Lottery is supposed to be next, and the public share in the former gas utility monopoly could be sold in part.

After the scandalous privatization of highways some years back, another round of profitable ventures being sold on the cheap for short term gains.

ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
I think it's time to hold a Brexexit vote, where Brits get to decide whether to leave or remain in the Brexit.
©@©™