Author Topic: THE FOOTBALL/SOCCER THREAD  (Read 171260 times)

Himu

How could you fuck with Real Madrid or Barca, these bastards are loading up their roster like the Heat :holeup

Real Madrid is the Yankees of soccer. It's like the team that every soccer player would want to play for. Easily the most prestigious club, in my opinion.
IYKYK

Himu

How could you fuck with Real Madrid or Barca, these bastards are loading up their roster like the Heat :holeup

If you're a fan of another team in La Liga you just accept that you won't win the league unless your team does some 2008 financial crisis shit on the books and implodes financially down the road or hope for a Copa del Rey final or Champions League appearance.

Watching Athletic in the Champions League this coming season is going to rule.

I was really hoping for that double, but I'm good with them winning league. :)
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar

Luckily, especially in the case of Real, they often have personality clashes and refuse to play as a team properly and implode. I much prefer Barca, they at least tend to get players that work with their play style (the best play style in the world imo)  while Real sign people like Beckham, Bale and the like not because they fit, but because they sell shirts and stuff. (not to take anything away from their talent). Real is a clown's football team. Best to avoid.

I hate Barca for beating us in the champs league final, but if it had to be anyone, I'm okay with it being them.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
the last Real team i liked had Guti, Hierro, Zidane, Figo, Raul. There was an actual team there + crazy amounts of skill in the midfield 

Himu

I much prefer Barca, they at least tend to get players that work with their play style (the best play style in the world imo)

Completely fucking agreed.

:lawd

1:01
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Yup thats Barca, they will kill you with passing. The same reason I love Arsenal. (Of course I've been an Arsenal fan from 1 -0 to the Arsenal days though :lol)

Himu

I'm split on tiki taka. I think it really depends on the match, club, and even players.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 04:54:33 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
It depends on the long term vision. tika taka takes a lot from total football, and so does the style Arsenal plays, from viewing its immediately evident they both share common ancestry but is also very different in execution and function. It's not something any club can pull off though, from memory only Ajax, Arsenal and Barcelona has ever so beautifully played a total derivative (and thats due to long term coaching, no one doing this without at least a decade with a team)

Himu

It depends on the long term vision. tika taka takes a lot from total football, and so does the style Arsenal plays, from viewing its immediately evident they both share common ancestry but is also very different in execution and function. It's not something any club can pull off though, from memory only Ajax, Arsenal and Barcelona has ever so beautifully played a total derivative (and thats due to long term coaching, no one doing this without at least a decade with a team)

That's why I'm split on it. Spain WC 2010 for example used it and it was far from beautiful.
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Spain's still my favorite national team, I know they can play that style well, something really fucked up has been going on with them for about two years though. I blame the racist idiot  coach

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
p.s. I really love that you guys all feel like football bros to me now   :heart

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
the last Real team i liked had Guti, Hierro, Zidane, Figo, Raul. There was an actual team there + crazy amounts of skill in the midfield

imo it's hard to hate a team Zizou was on.

jakefromstatefarm

I much prefer Barca, they at least tend to get players that work with their play style (the best play style in the world imo)

Completely fucking agreed.

:lawd

1:01
This is absolutely beautiful. Reminds me of the Spurs' offense with a lot of quick ball movement and give and go action. As a total soccer pleb, can anyone direct me to where I can read up about play styles/player archetypes and the general landscape of the game today?

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
As a total soccer pleb, can anyone direct me to where I can read up about play styles/player archetypes and the general landscape of the game today?

With the caveat that I haven't read them ever since they had the gall to call Greece 2004 their #1 team of the 2000s, Zonal Marking might be just the site you're looking for.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
tiki-taka seems like Bernard Hopkins or Mayweather, can be really awesome and technical but depending on the opponent/user it seems like it can be reaaally negative and boring. It's like a super glorified game of keep away :lol

Spain's still my favorite national team, I know they can play that style well, something really fucked up has been going on with them for about two years though. I blame the racist idiot  coach
I mean, aren't they kind of all old? It seems like Xavi was the key to that plan and now he's :flabbypd a bit
You don't necessarily have to drop too much with age playing that style of football. It's not like in England or Africa where the tempo is so high that you look like a fossil by 32. Continentals get to play till they are older specifically cause their styles arent England dumb.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler

Real Madrid is the Yankees of soccer. It's like the team that every soccer player would want to play for. Easily the most prestigious club, in my opinion.

no

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar

And motherfucking Ronaldo!

(Image removed from quote.)
Mr Calcio :bow

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Fat Ronaldo had entertainment value too :lol

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
We're all extremely fortunate to be able to watch a player like Messi in his prime

Cerveza mas fina

• filler

no

She's not wrong, though. Who would you say is the Yankees of soccer then?

Yankees of soccer is a pretty silly term anyway

Himu

Lager: is there a more prestigious soccer club than Real? ???
IYKYK

Himu

I'm curious why he disagrees. Who does he put above Real?
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
Well for one Barca has won as many Euro 1 trophies in the past 25 years.

Also Real is a hale billion pounds in debt so fuck them and their recent victories. Fake ass football rigging assholes

Should banned from CL play until they are in the green.

All of their success is based bending the rules
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 01:28:35 AM by Premium Lager »

Mandark

• Icon
So you're saying they recklessly spend money to acquire top stars and try to buy championships, haven't really lived up to their reputation in recent years, and that they're widely hated by people who aren't fans...

and they're not the Yankees?

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
Yankees never had a fascist dictator as a sugar daddy though who made sure real was on top

Kara

Yankees never had a fascist dictator as a sugar daddy though who made sure real was on top

cold blooded  :win

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon

george steinbrenner was pretty close, though
AMC

Fifstar

I'm curious why he disagrees. Who does he put above Real?

There is no club above Real, but I'd say Barcelona is almost as prestigious, because they were so successful and especially because of their style and dominance they had over the last couple of years. It's also different situation as the youth from the european countries adores the clubs from their countries the most. So Bayern München is like the Real Madrid of Germany. Although I guess from a pro player point of view it's still has some truth, as even players from München, Milan or Manchester probably get second thoughts if they get a call from Real or Barca.
Gulp

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Yeah I read about Kaka, congrats 'merica he's a pretty good player

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Iker Cassilas isnt a goalkeeper with legs I dont think. Don't think he will be able to make it to 40 like other keepers.

Kara

Florida has already lost a team because it's a shit sports market and they're going to get 2 high price DPs in their first season?

GJ MLS. Smart, strategic thinking with this expansion. Could we get an Atlanta team next?

Himu

Florida has already lost a team because it's a shit sports market and they're going to get 2 high price DPs in their first season?

GJ MLS. Smart, strategic thinking with this expansion. Could we get an Atlanta team next?

No. The Orlando expansion makes sense. Orlando has an avid soccer market, the Majic suck, and that's all there is to do in Orlando because Orlando is shit. Miami is the city that didn't deserve expansion.
IYKYK

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
it's a drag that the one MLS player who made a name for himself playing for USA this year is already being packaged up for a trip to rome.

Himu

it's a drag that the one MLS player who made a name for himself playing for USA this year is already being packaged up for a trip to rome.

?
IYKYK

headwalk

• brutal deluxe

?

yedlin.

pool were interested (there's nobody they aren't interested in with suarez money coming in), but it looks like he's heading to serie a.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 10:30:27 PM by headwalk »

Good for Deandre but fuck that shit.
野球

Kara

These are super fucking awesome and I may have to purchase one:

http://shop.rincks.co.uk/

If I decorated any space I spent appreciable time in, I would buy the Dean Windass one in a heartbeat just to laugh at seeing the word Windass every day.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
You're going to love David Seaman then

Himu

Sky now covers mls
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Sky now covers mls
Sky football coverage is really neat. If you have Sky streaming or some other source, use it

Himu

Told you Orlando fucks with soccer
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
oh man, RIP one of the greatest of all time.

PS he played more for Spain than Argentina (and Colombia)

Himu

Nice goals and footwork in that vid. Favorite one is where he makes a penalty, goes in, so he goes in for a second kick for no reason.
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Damn, R.I.P.

He was one of the biggest legends in the history of the sport.
Pele and a lot of other people thought he was the best player ever.

Kara

Yeah but could he play away at Stoke on a rainy night?

Himu

Barca and real making moves :lupe
IYKYK

Himu

wrong thread
IYKYK

Himu

omg why did he choose to go to la liga? the suarez epl fuckery will be missed

and seriously that is the most dapper shirt.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 01:11:47 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Himu

atletico and the rest of la liga :(
IYKYK

Kara

atletico and the rest of la liga :(

Who cares about winning the league when I get to look forward to Athletic being sucked off by English football commentators in the Champions League for playing football "the right way"?  :noah

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
Brehs

Messi, Neymar, Suarez up front :whew

sounds like a mess. a good squad is about balance, not putting a cheat code into football manager, arranging by value and going down the list.

Kara

Edit: Pretty big fan of Crusader kits too:

Our resident vet of foreign wars in the Muslim world is a fan of Crusader kits?

You don't say.

Himu

Everyone try to watch the Portland v Seattle match tomorrow! It's going to be on ESPN2! This is probably the biggest rivalry in MLS, GOGOGOGO
IYKYK

Kara

They'd been saddled with a lot of debt due to self-funding Emirates.

Everyone try to watch the Portland v Seattle match tomorrow! It's going to be on ESPN2! This is probably the biggest rivalry in MLS, GOGOGOGO

I'll be at the game.
野球

Himu

I'll be at the game.

take pics
IYKYK

Himu

Went and saw my local USL Pro team play. Was worried I wouldn't be entertained after a month of world class soccer, but I was pleasantly surprised. Neither team looked too bad out there. They were probably on the level of at least the Brazil national team.

(Image removed from quote.)

you take pics next time too!
IYKYK

We've been in the 90s all week. Gonna rain tonight, starting at game time.
野球

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Watching a replay of Jose vs. DC United now and Wondolowski just scored one from outside the box

Made me so salty :rofl :'(

Khedira probably going to Arsenal or Chelsea. Wenger seems to be willing to spend a lot of money this year. I thought they were a fiscally conservative club?
They'd been saddled with a lot of debt due to self-funding Emirates.
This, we've been playing the long game for a while now. I'm okay with this. Rather setup the team to be financially successful for the long run than glory hunt in the short. That and Arsene gave me the invincibles, thats enough to keep me for another decade lol