Author Topic: Twin Peaks OT: I'll see you again in 25 years.  (Read 80745 times)

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
Re: Twin Peaks OT: I'll see you again in 25 years.
« Reply #240 on: July 24, 2017, 08:31:41 AM »
WE ARE LATE FOR DINNER, IT'S ALREADY PAST 6:30, WHAT IS GOING ON?

This is probably going to end up one of my all time fave Lynch scenes. It's a classic for sure.
serge

agrajag

« Reply #241 on: July 24, 2017, 11:06:39 AM »
Is it me or did this episode feel like a send off to Dougie Jones?

Nope. Better to just embrace the Dougie, he ain't going nowhere.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #242 on: July 24, 2017, 01:19:37 PM »
Is it me or did this episode feel like a send off to Dougie Jones?

Nope. Better to just embrace the Dougie, he ain't going nowhere.

Haha, I was going to say, we ain't getting off that easy. I've made my peace with Dougie, even though I'm [SCREAMING INTERNALLY] ever time he shows up and telling myself "okay, he eats the cherry pie, is this gonna be what turns him back into real Cooper?".
©@©™

agrajag

« Reply #243 on: July 24, 2017, 01:40:31 PM »
Lynch is probably cracking up reading about everyone's frustration with Dougie/Coop.  :lol

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:-\
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #244 on: July 24, 2017, 01:52:42 PM »
Lynch's therapist told him to not read online comments, so he doesn't. That said, I'd say it's likely he anticipated some of the current feeling about Dougie.

I don't mind Dougie. It was clear going in this would be something very, very different. I do hope we get Cooper back, but if it's not until the last episode I'm fine with that. More than anything it shows the Black Lodge is not to be fucked with. You can get out, yeah, but only after wasting 25 years inside and losing your mind once you finally get back.

agrajag

« Reply #245 on: July 24, 2017, 02:03:11 PM »
I think it also goes to show that the black lodge is not unequivocally evil. Mike seems like a morally gray character. He feeda on garmonbozia, but is actively helping Coop, keeping him out of trouble. I think what's happening is that Dopplecoop/Bob/The Experiment and whatever other forces are at play are threatening to destroy the natural order or balance of things and certain Lodge spirits are fighting to prevent that.

archie4208

« Reply #246 on: July 24, 2017, 02:08:16 PM »
I'd rather have Dougie and evil Coop's wacky adventures over a 25 year old nostalgia circlejerk.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I got Nintendo games for that.  :doge
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #247 on: July 24, 2017, 02:12:19 PM »
Mike is the only good one, and that's cause he renounced his old ways. However by the nature of his being he still needs garmonbozia to survive. So he's got some internal guilt and conflict there. I would feel confident saying all Lodge spirits are evil, or at the very least, mischievous and completely self-centered (outside Mike, as noted.)

The White Lodge, if that's what the purple zone/Giant's home is, is definitely the opposite. Black and white, grandiose, calm, dialogue-less.

I think Mike and the White Lodge spirits are helping Coop, but in different ways, and may even be ignorant of each other.

Where the Arm fits into all this, I can't say. At the surface, it *should* be pure evil, since it represents the evil part of Mike that he had to separate from to "atone." But Mike and the Arm seemed to have been working together at the start of The Return, so it's difficult to say. It definitely did seem like the Arm got pissed at Coop about something ("NONEXISTENCE!") before Coop got ejected.

agrajag

« Reply #248 on: July 24, 2017, 02:20:34 PM »
That was the arm's doppleganger.

Tasty

« Reply #249 on: July 24, 2017, 02:45:48 PM »

Where do you get that from?

Mike said the Tree is the Arm's evolution.

agrajag

« Reply #250 on: July 24, 2017, 02:55:02 PM »

Can't post evidence atm, but the arm and the evil arm have different hues. Iirc, the doppleganger arm has a yellowish tint. It's been documented on the Twin Peaks reddit,  if you google it I'm sure something will come up.

Edit: when I say arm, I mean tree. The tree itself has a doppleganger tree.

TVC15

« Reply #251 on: July 24, 2017, 03:04:05 PM »
Best scene ever. It's all worth it just for this.

serge

Tasty

« Reply #252 on: July 24, 2017, 03:23:12 PM »

Can't post evidence atm, but the arm and the evil arm have different hues. Iirc, the doppleganger arm has a yellowish tint. It's been documented on the Twin Peaks reddit,  if you google it I'm sure something will come up.

Edit: when I say arm, I mean tree. The tree itself has a doppleganger tree.

Not sure I buy it.

agrajag

« Reply #253 on: July 24, 2017, 03:31:35 PM »
Well you better buy it because the Evolution references its doppleganger before it makes its first appearance (nonexistence), rewatch that episode. As they walk towards the white statue, Mike says "something is wrong," and the tree says "my doppleganger"

Tasty

« Reply #254 on: July 24, 2017, 03:57:08 PM »
Will rewatch.

agrajag

« Reply #255 on: July 24, 2017, 04:41:42 PM »
Will rewatch.

I didn't catch it at first either, but there's a distinct tonal shift when the Tree's doppleganger appears. He literally pops out of the statue.

In the S2 finale LMFAP also has a doppleganger with glazed eyes, so there's precedent for this.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #256 on: July 24, 2017, 04:51:27 PM »

As someone who hasn't started this season yet

wut
püp

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #257 on: July 24, 2017, 05:12:40 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #258 on: July 24, 2017, 05:28:32 PM »

wut

This is one of the more normal scenes in the new season.

TVC15

serge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #260 on: July 24, 2017, 06:59:49 PM »

wut

"WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?! WE'VE GOT MILES TO GO, WE HAVE TO GET HOME!"
~Agent Cooper fans
©@©™

TVC15

« Reply #261 on: July 24, 2017, 08:57:16 PM »
Really, if I could find a woman like the screaming car lady, I'd marry her on the spot. That's the kind of woman I'd need to keep me in line and live my best possible life.
serge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #262 on: July 24, 2017, 09:00:03 PM »
Imagine if Jughead was just screaming at you.
©@©™

agrajag

« Reply #263 on: July 25, 2017, 12:54:06 PM »
I dare say Major Briggs would have been proud of the way his son turned outm  :usacry

TVC15

« Reply #264 on: July 25, 2017, 01:16:32 PM »
Has everyone seen the Twin Peaks-inspired Psych episode? I never liked Psych but it's a pretty fun episode with a couple of the TP people guesting, like Sherilyn Fenn, Dana Ashbrook, Sheryl Lee, and Ray Wise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_Spires
serge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #265 on: July 25, 2017, 09:28:44 PM »
I'm glad the teacher isn't dead.
©@©™

agrajag

« Reply #266 on: July 25, 2017, 09:37:30 PM »
I'm glad the teacher isn't dead.

Hopefully Chad gets what's coming to him in the next episode or two. Richard will probably stick around until the finale or thereabouts.

Tasty

« Reply #267 on: July 31, 2017, 01:28:49 AM »
Sudden Audrey is sudden.

Gotta love Lynch just taking the wind out of everything. :lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #268 on: July 31, 2017, 02:13:46 AM »
how does young madchen amick look hot even out of frame, moving and holding shit in front of her face/body

:noah

She's still amazing. She was in My Own Worst Enemy a couple years back, and looked like she'd barely aged.

agrajag

« Reply #269 on: July 31, 2017, 02:48:52 AM »
Man, this episode sucked ASS! No Dooper, barely any Dougie, and it all just felt so uneventful. Wild Audrey appears and somehow she's also married to another cripple that Lynch seems to fetishize. And the French lady leaving Cole's room was torture. Literally taking forever.

TVC15

« Reply #270 on: July 31, 2017, 07:37:58 AM »
Weakest ep, but Grace Zabriskie was awesome. More Grace plz.
serge

Tasty

« Reply #271 on: July 31, 2017, 09:36:21 AM »

agrajag

« Reply #272 on: August 01, 2017, 10:06:14 AM »
There's theories going around that either Audrey is still in a coma or trapped in a lodgr or some other type of purgatory dimmension. The entire sequence is very dream-like. It has the feel of a typical dream where you are trying to go somewhere but are stuck in one place and things are preventing you from getting to where you need to be. Also, when Charlie says "you know I don't have a crystal ball, Audrey," an object on his table that can be seen that looks very much like a crystal ball.

Also, it might be a dream because they are stuck in time. Charlie is doing paperwork, but doesn't have a computer. They don't have cell phones. Charlie uses a rotary phone (which is extra weird, it would be way out dated even in 1989). Then again, Lucy still uses landline phones.

agrajag

« Reply #273 on: August 06, 2017, 12:00:37 PM »
Hopefully this episode is a bit better than the last. After the amazing part 11, part 12 felt like nothing major happened. Need more Mr. C and Dougiecoop. I am cautiously hyped for tonight.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #274 on: August 06, 2017, 01:16:58 PM »
u guys still pretending this shit is good and not a muddled disaster most fans don't like huh  :doge

the goat show huh, yet even diehards admit they only like 1 full season (S1).  :doge

carry on  :doge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #275 on: August 06, 2017, 01:26:19 PM »
u guys still pretending this shit is good and not a muddled disaster most fans don't like huh  :doge

the goat show huh, yet even diehards admit they only like 1 full season (S1).  :doge

Tasty

« Reply #276 on: August 06, 2017, 01:48:25 PM »

This season is unfiltered Lynch through and through. If you like Lynch, this season has been ambrosia from the gods. Gods who had abandoned us for over ten years and possibly forever.

This season is for those of us who enjoyed Inland Empire.

agrajag

« Reply #277 on: August 06, 2017, 02:04:49 PM »
I'm not a Lynch fan and I like this season a lot.  :yeshrug

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #278 on: August 06, 2017, 02:13:30 PM »
mrw I see a PD post

©@©™

Tasty

Tasty

« Reply #280 on: August 06, 2017, 09:01:24 PM »
This ep. :rejoice

archie4208

« Reply #281 on: August 06, 2017, 09:18:14 PM »
JAMES PLAYING JUST YOU

I MARKED OUT SO HARD

TVC15

« Reply #282 on: August 07, 2017, 01:01:38 AM »
This episode is AWESOME.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #283 on: August 07, 2017, 01:41:44 AM »
I'm upgrading this to BEST EPISODE EVER after seeing that roadhouse scene. Lynch's fuckery is amazing.
serge

agrajag

« Reply #284 on: August 07, 2017, 01:59:18 AM »
LMAO at the fake dummy head when Dopplecoop punches him.  :lol

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #285 on: August 07, 2017, 02:44:00 AM »

"diehards" aka the vocal twee cunts who shat up my fb/twitter feed with crappy twin peaks memes for months leading up to this, then promptly couldnt handle it when it Lynch did what he does. s3 is mulholland drive level Lynch. gtfoh.

that's my anecdotal experience of the haters at least. people i know that actually like Lynch's body of work love it.
◕‿◕

TVC15

« Reply #286 on: August 07, 2017, 10:47:03 AM »
Idk, I can't be hard on people who were Twins Peaks and not David Lynch fans being upset they're getting David Lynch with a sprinkling of Twin Peaks for 18 hours. I think even the people who were expecting and looking forward to 18 hours of unrestrained Lynch weren't expecting this show to go the way it has, even if they love it. Get super hyped watching seasons 1 and 2 on Netflix and this see the revival that more often than not could be an entirely new show unrelated to TP is still kind of a tough pill to swallow 13 hours into it.

A die hard Twin Peaks fan and a die hard David Lynch fan are not the same thing. Trying to fangate Twin Peaks, a network prime time soap drama from the late 80s/early 90s behind stuff like MD, Lost Highway, or Eraserhead is pretty weird.

I went into this with few expectations. The only thing I 100% knew was that it wouldn't be much like the original show since Lynch has trended weirder and weirder ever since the show, and his last major project was probably too weird. I by far don't think the man is infallible, and as I said, his last movie wasn't my cup of tea, so I was slightly prepared to not like this (although I prayed I would). Luckily, things have turned out pretty well so far. It's not perfect, but it's been mostly great.

The thing is. . .to go back to my Mister Robot S2 comments from the other day: S2 of Mr. Robot was weird that in although I liked all the individual episodes, I overall didn't like the season because it felt that it didn't deliver on a satisfying ending. Twin Peaks S3 faces a similar problem. All of this weirdness is wonderful as I'm consuming it, but unless it sticks the landing, I'll probably end up being at least as (probably more) disappointed than I was with Mr. Robot S2.

If it -does- stick the landing and end really well, I'm looking forward to fan edits that can maybe trim a bit of the fat. At least get rid of the superfluous (read: non-James) roadhouse scenes. The only problem is that I typically love the long shots over the final credits, and those are probably prime "fat."
serge

TVC15

« Reply #287 on: August 07, 2017, 11:17:39 AM »
I don't want anything cut out, I'd just like for it to be edited in a linear manner, because most of the show has such a fucked up time frame where even though it's clear each story point is on a different day/time frame, but the actual Twin Peaks storylines are clearly straight up jumbled up either intentionally or flat out editing errors.

Yeah, I'd like to believe they aren't editing errors, but at this point I don't know. There's that whole notion that the thing was written like an 18 hour movie, and sometimes I wonder if because of that, they shuffled around some scenes for time or to make sure there wasn't too much/too little of a particular character or the scene was the wrong tone for the ep or something. There's the whole "is this future or is this past" element, so I'm trying to give the show the benefit of a doubt on the scene order meaning something, but I don't know how much faith I have in this particular aspect. An 18 hour movie could maybe just be unwieldy to sequence in editing?
serge

Tasty

« Reply #288 on: August 07, 2017, 11:21:06 AM »
The best thing Twin Peaks related of all time was the eighth episode of The Return.

"Gotta light?"

TVC15

« Reply #289 on: August 07, 2017, 11:21:54 AM »
I agree with everything you said except the Super Nadine plot being crap. Super Nadine was awesome. Nadine is awesome. Nadine was always cool.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #290 on: August 07, 2017, 11:59:55 AM »
Fuuuuuuuuu I just accidentally read a spoiler for 14 that was pretty big. Tempted to just read them all now.

It would be nice if someone managed to record the ep when it aired and leak it. The fact that it hasn't probably says something about the level of interest in the show.
serge

agrajag

« Reply #291 on: August 07, 2017, 12:14:39 PM »
Yo I think some scenes are not in chronological order. All the stuff with Bobby, Shelly, Becky, Big Ed, Norma, happened before the stuff in part 11.

TVC15

« Reply #292 on: August 07, 2017, 12:22:38 PM »
Yo I think some scenes are not in chronological order. All the stuff with Bobby, Shelly, Becky, Big Ed, Norma, happened before the stuff in part 11.

The big timeline issue this ep was that Bobby says he found the Briggs stuff earlier that day, which isn't right since we know a night has passed (the whole bit with the screaming woman and vomiting child happened at night in 11 and some of the Twin Peaks scenes in 12 were in daylight).
serge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #293 on: August 07, 2017, 12:29:34 PM »
I'll bet they're actually all dead and in purgatory.
©@©™

TVC15

« Reply #294 on: August 07, 2017, 01:40:03 PM »
I'll bet they're actually all dead and in purgatory.

In the last episode, they all end up in a heavenly TM class and do that whole yogic flying thing together.
serge

Tasty

« Reply #295 on: August 07, 2017, 04:47:51 PM »
These (potential) Ep 14 spoilers :thinking

TVC15

« Reply #296 on: August 07, 2017, 04:49:49 PM »
These (potential) Ep 14 spoilers :thinking

I couldn't resist :( Ep sounds awesome.
serge

agrajag

« Reply #297 on: August 07, 2017, 06:59:41 PM »
TVC, link to spoilers please

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #298 on: August 07, 2017, 07:03:39 PM »
man seeing big ed like that kinda hurt

:(

TVC15

serge