Author Topic: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!  (Read 557123 times)

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
Re: How bout that Star War huh?
« Reply #2040 on: December 15, 2017, 10:30:35 PM »
I think we can all agree

spoiler (click to show/hide)
the vacuum of space Leia was cringey as fuck
[close]
:9

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #2041 on: December 15, 2017, 10:31:25 PM »
whennnnnn willl the fatigue set iN? WHENN??

:noah

how can you people still want to watch this crap

Himu

« Reply #2042 on: December 15, 2017, 10:36:08 PM »

Uh right now fam. I have no desire to see episode 9. Like, no spoilers or anything, but what's the point? The movie literally gives no reason to be invested in a resolution. And then the side movies will likely remain crap too. I might  rent episode 9 from redbox a year after its release at this point. I'm kind of over it thanks to not only this movie but also Rogue One.
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #2043 on: December 15, 2017, 10:36:20 PM »
I dont undertand this fatigue? Where else are we getting this genre of film? People are talking about Star Wars fatigue and yet we're getting the Marvel comic universe from four different angles... Five if you count Netflix.

I'm not even a big fan of star wars but I'm a fan of scifi and I was highly entertained at the action that's pretty much contained to this series at this point.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2044 on: December 15, 2017, 10:41:56 PM »

Uh right now fam. I have no desire to see episode 9. Like, no spoilers or anything, but what's the point? The movie literally gives no reason to be invested in a resolution. And then the side movies will likely remain crap too. I might  rent episode 9 from redbox a year after its release at this point. I'm kind of over it thanks to not only this movie but also Rogue One.

Cool you still saw this movie on day one and lets be real you'll see the next day one as well.
püp

Himu

« Reply #2045 on: December 15, 2017, 10:43:25 PM »
I dont undertand this fatigue? Where else are we getting this genre of film? People are talking about Star Wars fatigue and yet we're getting the Marvel comic universe from four different angles... Five if you count Netflix.

I'm not even a big fan of star wars but I'm a fan of scifi and I was highly entertained at the action that's pretty much contained to this series at this point.

I don't give a fuck about marvel movies either. Last one I saw was civil war that was complete and utter balls. Before that, I saw Captain America 2 and that was okay I guess. For all the stuff Disney is buying up, their quality is starting to go down the crapper. I like their tv far more especially Luke Cage and Daredevil season 1. Haven't seen Punisher or Runaways yet. The next marvel thing I'll see is Black Panther. I saw the Infinity War trailer today while at Episode 8 and literally thought to myself,"who still cares about that that dog crap?"

As far Star Wars, ep 8 was so bad and the movie was terrible at making you care about the stakes or get emotionally invested about any of the characters besides a few that I don't see the point in seeing ep 9 besides wanting to see where this all goes.
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2046 on: December 15, 2017, 10:44:41 PM »
I think we can all agree

the vacuum of space Leia was cringey as fuck
[close]

I hated the execution of this but loved the premise.  Like why wouldn't you just
have her like force barrier herself and use most of her energy to force a way into the ship? instead we got a form of space jesus
[close]

regardless, it's carrie fisher and I was happy to see her use her power despite my feelings
püp

Himu

« Reply #2047 on: December 15, 2017, 10:44:46 PM »

Cool you still saw this movie on day one and lets be real you'll see the next day one as well.

You think you know anything about me? I am clinically depressed and this was the only thing I had to look forward to this week. So yeah I saw it on day one.

How about we bet something that I will it see ep 9 on day one and you can take your passive aggressive faggotry elsewhere
IYKYK

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2048 on: December 15, 2017, 10:44:53 PM »
Seeing Ep. 8 tomorrow.

Everyone that I've talked to in person who has seen it said it was great.

Guess I'll see if they're right soon enough.  :doge

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #2049 on: December 15, 2017, 10:46:42 PM »

I don't see the point in seeing ep 9 besides wanting to see where this all goes.

So in essence youre like...
 :nope

But youre really like

:ryker

Himu

« Reply #2050 on: December 15, 2017, 10:48:10 PM »
No I'm more like :snore
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #2051 on: December 15, 2017, 10:49:24 PM »
Marvel has all those movies?

:sabu

Besides Spider-Man, fuck that.

I just found out Thor Ragnarok existed this past weekend. Lmao
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2052 on: December 15, 2017, 10:50:31 PM »

I don't give a fuck about marvel movies either. Last one I saw was civil war that was complete and utter balls. Before that, I saw Captain America 2 and that was okay I guess. For all the stuff Disney is buying up, their quality is starting to go down the crapper. I like their tv far more especially Luke Cage and Daredevil season 1. Haven't seen Punisher or Runaways yet. The next marvel thing I'll see is Black Panther. I saw the Infinity War trailer today while at Episode 8 and literally thought to myself,"who still cares about that that dog crap?"

As far Star Wars, ep 8 was so bad and the movie was terrible at making you care about the stakes or get emotionally invested about any of the characters besides a few that I don't see the point in seeing ep 9 besides wanting to see where this all goes.

I'm sorry, but that's not all ALL what I thought leaving the theater.  How can you not care about the stakes when nearly every main character is connected, experiencing failure while at the same time learning from each other? 
Rey, Ben and Luke contribute so much of each other's growth, development I haven't seen in a popular film in ages.
[close]

The problem of the movie is the overarching story – escaping the FO, trying to deceive them, and learning the ways of the Jedi.  The strength of the movie is how every character realizes the fault in each endeavor and grows individually to contribute to the better whole.

It's a phenomenal character movie burdened by a poorly paced and edited buddy cop movie.
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2053 on: December 15, 2017, 10:54:25 PM »

You think you know anything about me? I am clinically depressed and this was the only thing I had to look forward to this week. So yeah I saw it on day one.

How about we bet something that I will it see ep 9 on day one and you can take your passive aggressive faggotry elsewhere

I mean, maybe this is the crux of everything?  Stop placing so many eggs in one basket?  Heal yourself before you try to look to things to spur healing for you?

I just think your perspective is coming from a place not of valid critique but from completely misaligned expectations.  The movie has some flaws but it's plot direction is not one of them.
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2054 on: December 15, 2017, 10:58:44 PM »
The more I argue about this movie, the more I love it.  It's such a powerful character narrative that Lucas could never achieve during his reign, and I'm so damned excited to see the followup as I have NO IDEA the direction they'll take it. 
püp

Tasty

« Reply #2055 on: December 15, 2017, 10:59:16 PM »

Maybe cause Marvel's good?

Himu

« Reply #2056 on: December 15, 2017, 11:03:50 PM »

I'm sorry, but that's not all ALL what I thought leaving the theater.  How can you not care about the stakes when nearly every main character is connected, experiencing failure while at the same time learning from each other? 
Rey, Ben and Luke contribute so much of each other's growth, development I haven't seen in a popular film in ages.
[close]

The problem of the movie is the overarching story – escaping the FO, trying to deceive them, and learning the ways of the Jedi.  The strength of the movie is how every character realizes the fault in each endeavor and grows individually to contribute to the better whole.

It's a phenomenal character movie burdened by a poorly paced and edited buddy cop movie.

Okay, do we still have to use spoilers? Because if you come in being mad you're spoiled at this point...

I'm on mobile and I'm too lazy to make a tag.

SPOILERS

I'm not invested in shit. What's the point? The rebels are morons. Charging at a line of AT-AT's in a straight line in junk ships with the last of your forces then being like THIS IS A SUICIDE RUN RETREAT. Complete. Fucking. Morons. Yet they want to create empathy after Poe's actions decimate the last of the fleet. There's a chance for the rebels to get out lickin their wombs and it's Finn and his distinguished mentally-challenged black ass killing himself as penance for ruining the movie with his horrible sub plot. But wait! Rose comes save him and thereby ruining any chance of the rebels getting out safe and her excuse? She loves him. What the fuck. So Luke, the only reasonable character, comes and helps via astral projection and force badassery. Cool. Fine. But then the rebels see that their exit is closed off by rocks. Okay. Whatever. Except they have the fucking Princess Poppins herself who saved herself by using the force in the cold of space to get to safety. But they're stuck at the boulders! Omg. Omg! Which she can't move for some convenient plot reason. A band of fuck ups and dumb asses and im supposed to care about their 20 survivors? Lmao.

First Order troops are decimated and are equally as distinguished mentally-challenged and incompetent and has lost serious numbers.

Contrast it with Empire Strikes Back. You WANT to know what the fuck happens next. You've got a outnumbered, outsmarted, outgunned rebel squad fighting against an UNSTOPPABLE Empire. Han turned into a statue. Luke loses a hand and finds his true origin. Yoda was right that he wasn't ready. But Rey already is strong enough to pull off that kind of force voodoo despite jack and shit in training and two lectures from Luke Skywalker. She doesn't even have a servicable training arc. And I'm supposed to be rooting for these people?

In terms of character investment and motivations the movie gets an F for me.
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2057 on: December 15, 2017, 11:04:17 PM »

Marvel is safe – it's not always good. Those movies almost always take zero narrative risks and puts the burden on the actors demonstrating good chemistry to carry a film.
püp

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #2058 on: December 15, 2017, 11:04:46 PM »

Himu

« Reply #2059 on: December 15, 2017, 11:05:08 PM »

I mean, maybe this is the crux of everything?  Stop placing so many eggs in one basket?  Heal yourself before you try to look to things to spur healing for you?

I just think your perspective is coming from a place not of valid critique but from completely misaligned expectations.  The movie has some flaws but it's plot direction is not one of them.

Its plot direction is dog shit and my expectations were actually zero.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #2060 on: December 15, 2017, 11:06:09 PM »
Marvel has all those movies?

:sabu

Besides Spider-Man, fuck that.

I just found out Thor Ragnarok existed this past weekend. Lmao

YER SO KEWL

:badass
yar

Tasty

« Reply #2061 on: December 15, 2017, 11:06:43 PM »

;)

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2062 on: December 15, 2017, 11:07:30 PM »

Its plot direction is dog shit

I don't agree at all.  Empowering these young, inexperienced heroes with the lessons of failure and the ability to come together after the fact is not at all dog shit...in fact it's the entire conceit of the film.  You're just pissed about things you wanted to happen that didn't.
püp

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #2063 on: December 15, 2017, 11:07:56 PM »
Ragnarok is actually legit. Its what GotG wish it was.

Now if we could get that Heavy Metal remake

Tasty

« Reply #2064 on: December 15, 2017, 11:09:52 PM »
Himu, I'll say this as nicely as I can: I think you're deliberately trying to provoke reactions out of people in order to justify further negative thoughts. I don't think it's healthy, and my recommendation for everyone here is to ignore your posts on the subject for the time being. Sorry.

Get your head in a better space, buddy. <3

Himu

« Reply #2065 on: December 15, 2017, 11:11:21 PM »

I don't agree at all.  Empowering these young, inexperienced heroes with the lessons of failure and the ability to come together after the fact is not at all dog shit...in fact it's the entire conceit of the film.  You're just pissed about things you wanted to happen that didn't.

Lessons of failure is cool. Except you have to show that they actually learned their lesson within the movie. But that's for ep 9 to show. Hence, no investment. The characters are all complete bumbling dumb asses. The concept of failure and stuff is a good one. But the execution was terrible.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2066 on: December 15, 2017, 11:11:43 PM »
Himu, I'll say this as nicely as I can: I think you're deliberately trying to provoke reactions out of people in order to justify further negative thoughts. I don't think it's healthy, and my recommendation for everyone here is to ignore your posts on the subject for the time being. Sorry.

I'm sorry, we can't take the opinion of a DC stan seriously.

Himu, please proceed.
yar

Himu

« Reply #2067 on: December 15, 2017, 11:12:27 PM »

I am not trying to provoke shit. This is how I legitimately feel and fuck you considering my valid criticisms of this movie as just "negativity".
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #2068 on: December 15, 2017, 11:18:55 PM »

I am not trying to provoke shit. This is how I legitimately feel and fuck you considering my valid criticisms of this movie as just "negativity".

Thank you for proving my point. Himu, I've seen you lash out over seemingly-trivial shit like this before. I know you don't really mean it. Whenever you want to drop an apology my way, my PM's are always open.

Himu, please proceed.

Like my only other post today was reviewing Justice League and giving it a 2/5, lol.

DC Comics = GOAT
DC Films (really, "WB Films") minus Batman Begins, TDK, and Wonder Woman = WOAT

kingv

« Reply #2069 on: December 15, 2017, 11:22:53 PM »
Liked the movie. It was pretty solid. Thematically more interesting than TFA. The world and war still makes no sense and it was disappointing how Snoke was developed, but still pretty god.

That’s my biggest complaint too. It’s not even exactly a problem with TFA or TLJ. They just haven’t ever bridged together the end of ROTJ and ty beginning of TFA at all.

Theoretically, they won at the end of ROTJ, but then like not really but the “not really” is never explained or  Chen really hinted at. Snoke seems super mega force powerful, but again it’s never explains where he came from, how he started the first order, or even really what their goal is.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2070 on: December 15, 2017, 11:25:58 PM »

Lessons of failure is cool. Except you have to show that they actually learned their lesson within the movie. But that's for ep 9 to show. Hence, no investment. The characters are all complete bumbling dumb asses. The concept of failure and stuff is a good one. But the execution was terrible.

I disagree entirely.

Luke's obvious reconciliation with his past failure with Ben.
Finn's failure as a hero that people claim that he is contrasted with his eventual acceptance of his place as a rebel through his actions with Rose
Adding to that Finn's failure to recognize that fighting the good fight is through fighting for love vs. fighting for revenge
Poe's failure to accept orders and buy-in to the bigger picture leads him to see Luke's broader plan and lead to the Rebel's escape
Rose's failure through trusting Del toro's character due to her personal feelings to avenge her sister, leading her to realize that saving the ones you care for is the worthy fight as opposed to vengeance (which makes the Finn/Rose connection much more important than people are giving it credit for
Holdo's failure as a transparent leader allows for mutiny and her fleeing forces to still be murdered, allowing her to realize her role is to be a kamikaze for the benefit of the galaxy
Rey's failure by submitting to the dark side lead her to realize that she had nothing to gain from it, and become the better person as compared to Ben.
[close]

There's so much to witness and extrapolate from this movie.  There's so much character growth, but people are forgetting it or choosing to ignore it simply because the movie didn't do things the way they wanted.
püp

Himu

« Reply #2071 on: December 15, 2017, 11:26:35 PM »

Thank you for proving my point. Himu, I've seen you lash out over seemingly-trivial shit like this before. I know you don't really mean it. Whenever you want to drop an apology my way, my PM's are always open.

Himu, please proceed.

Like my only other post today was reviewing Justice League and giving it a 2/5, lol.

DC Comics = GOAT

That is literally what you did. You are dismissing my criticism because of influences outside of Star Wars and it's not really fair. I refuse to apologize for this and feel you are the one who owes an apology.
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2072 on: December 15, 2017, 11:28:54 PM »

Himu, please proceed.

DC Comics = GOAT

That is literally what you did. You are dismissing my criticism because of influences outside of Star Wars and it's not really fair. I refuse to apologize for this and feel you are the one who owes an apology.

Personally, I'm not dismissing your criticism, but I do think it's coming from the wrong place.  I actually understand your frustrations, but I simply don't agree with them.  Your problem is your messaging, it's entirely too emotional.
püp

Tasty

« Reply #2073 on: December 15, 2017, 11:34:52 PM »
Himu, I didn't dismiss your criticism, I pointed out that you're being way more hyperbolic than necessary (and far more so than you usually are in your film criticism.) You're not discussing things with an even hand and seem on the verge of freaking out, which as BrandNew correctly pointed out is due to you putting way too much stock into a mere movie during a very negative and tumultuous time in your life.

But whatever, fuck me for caring about you and hoping you don't go off the deep end.

Himu

« Reply #2074 on: December 15, 2017, 11:36:59 PM »

I disagree entirely.

Luke's obvious reconciliation with his past failure with Ben.
Finn's failure as a hero that people claim that he is contrasted with his eventual acceptance of his place as a rebel through his actions with Rose
Adding to that Finn's failure to recognize that fighting the good fight is through fighting for love vs. fighting for revenge
Poe's failure to accept orders and buy-in to the bigger picture leads him to see Luke's broader plan and lead to the Rebel's escape
Rose's failure through trusting Del toro's character due to her personal feelings to avenge her sister, leading her to realize that saving the ones you care for is the worthy fight as opposed to vengeance (which makes the Finn/Rose connection much more important than people are giving it credit for
Holdo's failure as a transparent leader allows for mutiny and her fleeing forces to still be murdered, allowing her to realize her role is to be a kamikaze for the benefit of the galaxy
Rey's failure by submitting to the dark side lead her to realize that she had nothing to gain from it, and become the better person as compared to Ben.
[close]

There's so much to witness and extrapolate from this movie.  There's so much character growth, but people are forgetting it or choosing to ignore it simply because the movie didn't do things the way they wanted.

-Luke's reconciliation with his failure is the only compelling storyline for me. Him repeating it again with Rey was great.
-Finn's failure isn't compelling and arguing that his story is based around fighting for love vs revenge makes no sense. Where did Finn ever fight for revenge? That was Rose's story. This was never within the story and when he did fight it was generally self defense (vs Phasma) or trying to save the rebels (the cannon).
-Poe's failure is one endless fuck up after another.
- Rose's failure was not in trusting Del Toro. For all intents and purposes the dude got them off that planet and they would have died in the first place.
- Holdo's failure is being a poor leader and explaining in 30 seconds about the plan. But even then, most of that was again on Poe.
- Rey's failure to submitting to the dark side? Her trip in the hole was barely a blip and hardly compelling dark side magic. She came out a better person without putting in the work unlike Luke.

I realize the movie is about failure. Everyone fails. That's all they do. Even the bad guys. But it gets to a point where the messaging is poor and comical. The concept was great. The execution was really, really poor.
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2075 on: December 15, 2017, 11:37:42 PM »
and I completely disagree.  opinions.
püp

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #2076 on: December 15, 2017, 11:50:53 PM »
the defence of TFA's many holes is "just unplug your brain, it's a star wars film" which is fairly legitmate all told.

i preferred TLJ to TFA, but that excuse no longer holds true for it. it actively wants to provoke and engage the viewer on a level beyond popcorn entertainment, but attempts it through a vehicle that has no sincerity or narrative authenticity.

Himu

« Reply #2077 on: December 15, 2017, 11:51:42 PM »
So this is completely separate from how we even started this. Which was my argument that the movie failed to make you invested enough to even care about episode 9. I feel that way. It is not hyperbole. How do you think the ending gave enough to want to give a fuck about episode 9?
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2078 on: December 15, 2017, 11:57:49 PM »
So this is completely separate from how we even started this. Which was my argument that the movie failed to make you invested enough to even care about episode 9. I feel that way. It is not hyperbole. How do you think the ending gave enough to want to give a fuck about episode 9?

I want to see how Rey and Ben resolve their conflict
I want to see how Rose and Finn interact and grow together
I want to see how Luke's ghost (or perhaps he's still alive?) tries to teach Rey and/or Ben
I want to see how the "spark" that Luke and the rebel ignited in the last scene permeates to outside planets to see if the resistance grows.
I want to see if the Knights of Ren come back
I want to see if Kylo was simply lying to Rey about her parents
I want to see how Poe becomes a leader and not a trigger happy fool
I want to see how the First Order spreads their dominance under a poor leader
I want to see how the awakening of hope...the legends that are being passed on...I want to see how the inspires folks all around the galaxy to join in on the fight.
[close]
püp

Himu

« Reply #2079 on: December 16, 2017, 12:09:18 AM »
- Rey and Ben's conflict is kind of silly. We've seen from this movie and TFA that Kylo Ren is incompetent and Snoke was right about him. He's not a compelling villain. And now that he's THE villain leader it gives less to be excited about.
-I don't care about Rose and Finn. I found their relationship at the end forced.  Sure, they could develop it further in 9 but 8 doesn't do much to sell you on it, and therefore I do not care.
- Luke's ghost training Rey would be cool but since they didn't bother to train her this movie, I doubt they will in 9, so I don't really care about Luke's ghost. He'll show up, say something poignant, and then go fuck 72 virgins in Jedi heaven.
- The "spark" wasn't done in a fulfilling manner. Asian chick shows up, says we're from the Resistance, they let em steal some cat horses. Since they let them go once they revealed they're a part of the Resistance, the spark was already there. Therefore, who gives a shit.
-The Knights of Ren was one of many loose threads from TFA the movie didn't address because Rian basically said,"fuck you JJ". You could interpret  the students that Kylo took with him as the Knights of Ren. You could also interpret them as the guards in the throne room. As it is, the Knights are so underdeveloped they're also in "who gives a shit?" category.
-I agree that Kylo about wanting to see if  Kylo lied about Rey's parents, but in the scene he deliberately tells her she already knows the truth - that they're nobodies. I'm not sure Rey has to have some special blood line and if she does  in order to be a compelling character, that says a lot about Star Wars' limited characterization.
-Poe should be executed for his actions in TLJ.
-"I want to see how the First Order spreads their dominance under a poor leader" That's a damn good one actually. I'd like to know that too.
-I don't really care about the last thing because that's obvious the direction they'll go in.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2080 on: December 16, 2017, 12:12:22 AM »
Himu- let me say, I respect your opinion and you're entitled to it.

But you realize at this point you're basically just arguing about your opinions with people. It's entirely subjective, we all have our own takes, and it's not gonna change shit.
yar

Himu

« Reply #2081 on: December 16, 2017, 12:13:54 AM »
idk I'm frustrated. I'm frustrated that a movie I was really excited about for two years utterly disappointed me when I went in with no expectations and even a media blackout. I don't know how to express it any other way. I don't think I'll change any minds. I'm not a dumbass like Rey.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #2082 on: December 16, 2017, 12:34:23 AM »
I want to share my thoughts too...

Whatever. I'm always wrong. You're right. Fuck it.
IYKYK

Freyj

« Reply #2083 on: December 16, 2017, 12:37:59 AM »
I’d be alright if Rose was just never mentioned again. I’m left with no reason to care about that character and plenty of reason to not want her dragging other characters into boring misadventures.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2084 on: December 16, 2017, 01:06:10 AM »
Can't believe people get so worked up over a disney movie smh  :smug

Makai

« Reply #2085 on: December 16, 2017, 01:37:01 AM »
Straight ISIS propaganda.

Three rebel suicide bombers, and then it ends on, "you, too, can join the rebels"
[close]

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #2086 on: December 16, 2017, 01:40:30 AM »
Honestly, walking out, I don’t even see how this was divisive. It was just another SW movie.
serge

Bore Expert

« Reply #2087 on: December 16, 2017, 02:15:45 AM »
Massive spoilers

It’s 2017 and we’re just supposed to be ok with Chewbacca walking around without pants on during the whole movie? I understand the lore and the nuance but I’m getting sick of this Male Wookie Privilege. Maybe it’s time to start an online petition.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #2088 on: December 16, 2017, 02:17:39 AM »
Right, Star Wars was never anything but sci-fi schlock, that was its entire inspiration. Flash Gordon.

The Expanded Universe, yes, a lot of that went in some very unique directions because it had the space to breathe and basically ditch everything about Star Wars except the basic concepts/races/etc. and even most of that was straight garbage. I mean, we talk about two VIDEO GAMES as some of the best EU storytelling ffs lol.

What the OT pulled off was telling a story, though hardly an original one, about a small band of characters and their adventures, while hinting at a larger world, until ESB upends the entire table and forces Jedi to start reaching ludicrous speeds for a conclusion that neither of the prior two films, nor even the first half of Jedi justify. The New Trilogy so far is working off Jedi's model more than the others.

The Prequels went in the entire opposite direction, galaxy altering events were happening all over and Lucas was jamming Obi-Wan and Anakin and Natalie Portman into the center of them. Because prophecy.

My half seriousness about TPM, and ultimately Palpatine's entire plot since his scheming is actually best shown in TPM considering where the film starts regarding all the pieces he has to move, being the best, is it's the actual Star Wars film where there is a full on plot at work. As much as Lucas wanted the Prequels to be about Anakin that's outright trash and ultimately irrelevant, it's really about Palpatine's manipulation of the entire galaxy to not only turn the entire galactic government over to his control, but wipe out the Jedi after millennia with none of them even knowing it's a Sith plot until the last film at which point it's too late. Anakin doesn't even truly fall under Palpatine's thrall until the back third of ROTS and even Palpatine had to be surprised as fuck at how he pulled it off.

The OT doesn't have any of this. It has better actors, better dialogue, better direction, better pacing, better action, etc. but until Lucas decided "the twist" it didn't have anything to hold it together except the character relationships. (Which it upends for Jedi.) The NT so far doesn't have much of any of it either. We're two thirds of a way through the story now and what exactly has been accomplished that the notion of Star Wars as a fantasy epic with a vital universe is backed by? Even our two key characters are at the same point they were at the end of TFA. You could even argue this film spent much of its run time trying to subvert where TFA left them and what we'd expect, only to suddenly revert the entire thing down the stretch. (This is not to mention what they've done with the universe itself.)

The reason the Thrawn Trilogy was/is so praised was not that it's brilliantly written, it's not significantly better than most licensed novels of the era, and even as "Star Wars" it's a poor sequel to Jedi as Lucas hadn't yet actually decided all that shit about how the force works or what Luke's end goal was/the state of the Sith/etc. It's that it took the universe status, and the character status, in the wake of Jedi, and built logically off of it. The Empire had not suddenly collapsed, it was just heavily weakened, the Rebels weren't victors, most of the galaxy was taking the advantage of being freed to be Non-Aligned, much of the time is spent by Leia and Empire equivalents at propping up alliances or neutrality agreements, and both sides are looking for an advantage in the continued war. Han doesn't run off as a smuggler because he's now invested in these friends, Luke is trying to figure out his place but recognizes the advantage of a Jedi being around, etc. I'm going to really work off my memory here so I could get major chunks of this wrong, or be combing it with another book or something. The trilogy's actual hook is Thrawn himself, he's thrust into a role of intergalactic significance and progresses to realize what that means. When he's placed in the position to decide regarding the Clone War armada they come across and most of the one book is spent with both sides fighting over, it's one of the few times that Star Wars (and remember, Thrawn came out when the EU did not effectively exist, it started it, so along with the films and a few other novels and the Christmas Special, this was Star Wars) actually stops and asks moral questions about character actions. Thrawn recognizes the evil of the Late Empire, but also it's importance prior in providing a form of Galactic Order, as well as the Clone War Armada being potentially a greater evil than the continued sparring with the Rebels. (The book is sketchy on the events of the Clone Wars because I know a few people here remember that before the Prequels actually showed the damn thing it was considered this horrific monstrous war, and the book works off that premise that activating the ships may unleash an old terror. And the suggestion that the Empire may have been necessary to simply end it, not because it was a setup by Palpatine, but because it was the only way to end the horror.)

TFA basically said "so like, it's kinda like that being 30 years later, but i dunno how to do it so lol whatever we got a RESISTANCE and a FIRST ORDER and boy it sure looks like star wars tho huh u see some of them vistas"

benjipwns

« Reply #2089 on: December 16, 2017, 02:18:25 AM »
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2090 on: December 16, 2017, 02:21:49 AM »
still disappoint at chewy being hung like a hamster

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2091 on: December 16, 2017, 02:35:50 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #2092 on: December 16, 2017, 02:36:15 AM »
I saw Ragnarok because I thought it was going to be cool, but the generic Asgard shit
This has been the main thing that has driven me up the wall regarding the Thor films. The only cool part of Thor is Asgard shit and they don't even really use it. I would have liked Ragnarok more if it was just Planet Thor ft. Hulk and Loki.

Then they rush back to stop Hela. Before realizing, oh wait, they should trigger Ragnarok to do so. Which is a literal deus ex machina for the plot. And Hela's wasted in all of this to where her flashbacks are the cool part.

Ragnarok should just have been Hela's goal since her other goal was killing everyone in Asgard?, and they fail to get back in time and she's triggered it which dumps them in space or whatever. The standard movie going audience, including probably hardcore MCU fans, wouldn't have known that Ragnarok is a repeating cycle of death and rebirth and triggering it is actually not a problem. So it would have seemed like this DARK THANOS RELATED ending that gets compared to ESB because nobody can name other cliffhanger film in nerdom apparently.

Tokyosandblaster

« Reply #2093 on: December 16, 2017, 04:53:34 AM »
Right, Star Wars was never anything but sci-fi schlock, that was its entire inspiration. Flash Gordon.

The Expanded Universe, yes, a lot of that went in some very unique directions because it had the space to breathe and basically ditch everything about Star Wars except the basic concepts/races/etc. and even most of that was straight garbage. I mean, we talk about two VIDEO GAMES as some of the best EU storytelling ffs lol.

What the OT pulled off was telling a story, though hardly an original one, about a small band of characters and their adventures, while hinting at a larger world, until ESB upends the entire table and forces Jedi to start reaching ludicrous speeds for a conclusion that neither of the prior two films, nor even the first half of Jedi justify. The New Trilogy so far is working off Jedi's model more than the others.

The Prequels went in the entire opposite direction, galaxy altering events were happening all over and Lucas was jamming Obi-Wan and Anakin and Natalie Portman into the center of them. Because prophecy.

My half seriousness about TPM, and ultimately Palpatine's entire plot since his scheming is actually best shown in TPM considering where the film starts regarding all the pieces he has to move, being the best, is it's the actual Star Wars film where there is a full on plot at work. As much as Lucas wanted the Prequels to be about Anakin that's outright trash and ultimately irrelevant, it's really about Palpatine's manipulation of the entire galaxy to not only turn the entire galactic government over to his control, but wipe out the Jedi after millennia with none of them even knowing it's a Sith plot until the last film at which point it's too late. Anakin doesn't even truly fall under Palpatine's thrall until the back third of ROTS and even Palpatine had to be surprised as fuck at how he pulled it off.

The OT doesn't have any of this. It has better actors, better dialogue, better direction, better pacing, better action, etc. but until Lucas decided "the twist" it didn't have anything to hold it together except the character relationships. (Which it upends for Jedi.) The NT so far doesn't have much of any of it either. We're two thirds of a way through the story now and what exactly has been accomplished that the notion of Star Wars as a fantasy epic with a vital universe is backed by? Even our two key characters are at the same point they were at the end of TFA. You could even argue this film spent much of its run time trying to subvert where TFA left them and what we'd expect, only to suddenly revert the entire thing down the stretch. (This is not to mention what they've done with the universe itself.)

The reason the Thrawn Trilogy was/is so praised was not that it's brilliantly written, it's not significantly better than most licensed novels of the era, and even as "Star Wars" it's a poor sequel to Jedi as Lucas hadn't yet actually decided all that shit about how the force works or what Luke's end goal was/the state of the Sith/etc. It's that it took the universe status, and the character status, in the wake of Jedi, and built logically off of it. The Empire had not suddenly collapsed, it was just heavily weakened, the Rebels weren't victors, most of the galaxy was taking the advantage of being freed to be Non-Aligned, much of the time is spent by Leia and Empire equivalents at propping up alliances or neutrality agreements, and both sides are looking for an advantage in the continued war. Han doesn't run off as a smuggler because he's now invested in these friends, Luke is trying to figure out his place but recognizes the advantage of a Jedi being around, etc. I'm going to really work off my memory here so I could get major chunks of this wrong, or be combing it with another book or something. The trilogy's actual hook is Thrawn himself, he's thrust into a role of intergalactic significance and progresses to realize what that means. When he's placed in the position to decide regarding the Clone War armada they come across and most of the one book is spent with both sides fighting over, it's one of the few times that Star Wars (and remember, Thrawn came out when the EU did not effectively exist, it started it, so along with the films and a few other novels and the Christmas Special, this was Star Wars) actually stops and asks moral questions about character actions. Thrawn recognizes the evil of the Late Empire, but also it's importance prior in providing a form of Galactic Order, as well as the Clone War Armada being potentially a greater evil than the continued sparring with the Rebels. (The book is sketchy on the events of the Clone Wars because I know a few people here remember that before the Prequels actually showed the damn thing it was considered this horrific monstrous war, and the book works off that premise that activating the ships may unleash an old terror. And the suggestion that the Empire may have been necessary to simply end it, not because it was a setup by Palpatine, but because it was the only way to end the horror.)

TFA basically said "so like, it's kinda like that being 30 years later, but i dunno how to do it so lol whatever we got a RESISTANCE and a FIRST ORDER and boy it sure looks like star wars tho huh u see some of them vistas"
I started reading this, and then I gave up.

« Reply #2094 on: December 16, 2017, 05:08:44 AM »
I seriously don't know what movie some of ya'll watched.

That was equal to or better than ESB. And some poeple think this is worse than PT movies  :donot :hhh :foodcourt

benjipwns

« Reply #2095 on: December 16, 2017, 05:12:29 AM »

I started reading this, and then I gave up.

« Reply #2096 on: December 16, 2017, 05:22:54 AM »
Honestly, walking out, I don’t even see how this was divisive. It was just another SW movie.

Because nerds got their feels hurt that the characters and story beats weren't exactly as they planned in their head and now they're doing a Simpson comic book guy impersonation.

There is some legit criticism but this movie can hang with the OT and Empire; I think it's even better.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #2097 on: December 16, 2017, 05:51:35 AM »

Because nerds got their feels hurt that the characters and story beats weren't exactly as they planned in their head and now they're doing a Simpson comic book guy impersonation.

There is some legit criticism but this movie can hang with the OT and Empire; I think it's even better.

I’m not sure I agree with your last point. I enjoyed this movie, but it feels far too much in debt to modern blockbusters. I guess I’ll have to see how it ages, especially after seeing the final episode.

My biggest issues...

1. We’re never going to get an explanation on Snoke. To do it after his death would be anticlimactic. I did enjoy the “kill the big bad in the middle” bit, but now the mystery of who Snoke was is likely impossible to satisfactorily address. I’m sure there will be a shitty comic book.

2. Why would Poe let BB8 go with Finn and Rose on their secret mission when he knew there was a significant chance he might have to fly to defend the Resistance?

3. The Leia in space scene was terrible. We’ve never seen her use force powers before. What a cheesy time to show them. This also could have been easily written around. Worst scene in the movie.

4. Biggest sin: Why waste Laura Dern on this shitty role without any personality? She’s one of the best actresses on the planet.

5. The score is so recycled and so reverent to the original score that I can’t even tell what’s new music anymore. It’s a constant barrage of distinctly Star Wars-y brass, but at this point, it’s so rote. Please be more adventurous with the music.

6. A lot could have been chopped from that Finn and Rose plot.  I’m not even sure why the Rose character was necessary to create. Probably a more pointless Rose than even that of MGS2. Hopefully she dies early in the next movie. She’s not even good looking. She’s fucking hideous.

7. Maybe a cheat, or insensitive, but they should’ve used the Leia fake out death to kill her. It’s going to feel shitty killing her offscreen immediately after she’s recovered from a life-threatening injury in the next movie.

[/spoiler)
[close]
serge

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2098 on: December 16, 2017, 05:52:33 AM »
That was equal to or better than ESB.

No offence meant but I must say I chuckle when I read this (as it has been casually thrown in several places). Not because it cannot be true (I guess it can, most certainly on the plane of personal enjoyment), mind you. However, justified or not, The Empire Strikes Back has been vindicated through decades as a classic. It is too early to have any kind of reasonable comparison... It that is even possible or meaningful. "Best thriller since M" or "Better or equal than 2001" would be ridiculous if penned as is and without any development by anyone serious. I guess it makes slight sense within the context of a commodified franchise which by definition is following a by the numbers formula ? Honestly getting the feeling some fans are trying to validate hype through self persuasion.
ὕβρις

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #2099 on: December 16, 2017, 06:06:24 AM »

I cant watch this one, but their no spoilers vid was a body language reading goldmine. I was stoned watching last night laughing my ass off.

tl;dr - joe is a fucking asshole.