Author Topic: Catch-all Cop Thread  (Read 141090 times)

Mandark

• Icon
Re: Catch-all Cop Thread
« Reply #420 on: April 21, 2016, 02:19:29 PM »
I was trying to make sense of that story.  Then I was like "Oh, it's TN and the kids must be black."  Yup.

:-\

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #421 on: May 03, 2016, 11:31:18 AM »

« Reply #422 on: May 11, 2016, 01:56:36 AM »

Get out your patriotic cliche bingo cards

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #423 on: May 11, 2016, 09:00:20 PM »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #424 on: May 14, 2016, 11:14:53 AM »
This one is slightly more of a judge related isolated incident:
https://reason.com/blog/2016/05/11/arkansas-trooper-steals-20000-because-no
In July 2013, while driving through Arkansas on his way to Texas, Espinoza was pulled over by a state trooper who discovered a large amount of cash in the car, which he viewed as inherently suspicious. The money was seized and eventually forfeited based on vague allegations of drug-related activity. But there's a twist: There was so little evidence of such activity that local prosecutors decided to drop the forfeiture case. The judge would not let them, and last week a state appeals court declined to review that astounding decision because Espinoza had missed a filing deadline.

It's not clear why Arkansas State Police Sgt. Dennis Overton decided to stop Espinoza, who was traveling with his girlfriend, Priscila Hernandez. The legal justification for pulling Espinoza over was missing from the state's September 2013 forfeiture complaint, which referred without explanation to "the traffic stop," and from Circuit Court Judge Chris Williams' September 2014 order authorizing permanent confiscation of the money, which said only that the stop was "proper." In his response to the forfeiture complaint, Espinoza argued that the stop was illegal, so it would be nice to know what the rationale for it was.
After the stop, Judge Williams said, a "State of Arkansas drug dog was transported to the site in order to conduct a search of the vehicle." That's a revealing way of putting it, since according to the Supreme Court walking a drug-sniffing dog around a car does not qualify as a search. But if the dog "alerts" to the car, the Court says, that alone supplies probable cause for a search. So what Williams evidently meant was that Sgt. Overton requested a drug dog on the assumption that it would give him the permission he needed to search the car. But according to Williams, "It is obvious from the tape [of the traffic stop] that the dog did not alert on the vehicle at the scene of the stop."

Undeterred, Overton asked for permission to search the car, which Espinoza supposedly granted—a pretty suspicious sequence of events. Why bother bringing in a drug dog to justify searching a car if the driver is willing to give his consent? In any case, Williams said, "the dog alerted on a computer bag," inside which Overton found $19,894 in cash, mostly wrapped in $1,000 bundles. Overton found no contraband, drug paraphernalia, or any other sign of illegal activity. But as far as he was concerned, the cash itself was conclusive evidence that Espinoza was involved in drug trafficking.

"I've worked this interstate for the last eight years," Overton told Espinoza, according to the transcript of the dashcam video, which Williams appended to his order. "Half of my career I've spent out here. OK? Nobody—nobody—carries their money like that but one person. OK? People that deal with drugs, and deliver drugs. That's it. Nobody else. Nobody."
Espinoza, who had no criminal record and was never charged in this case, said the money came from years of construction work, and he later presented checks, receipts, and tax forms to substantiate that income. He said he took the money with him to Memphis because he was planning to buy a 4x4 truck there. But he was not happy with the advertised vehicle, so he did not complete the purchase. He offered to show Overton text messages he had exchanged with the truck seller and said his boss, whom he offered to call, would vouch for him. Overton, already convinced of Espinoza's guilt, was not interested.

Aside from the existence of the cash and the police dog's purported alert to the computer bag, the forfeiture complaint offered no evidence that Espinoza was dealing or delivering drugs. It simply asserted that "the currency was being used for drug trafficking, to further the manufacture of a controlled substance or...to facilitate the violation of Arkansas Code Annotated Section 5-64-536," which criminalizes possessing with intent to deliver marijuana or any other "Schedule VI controlled substance."
someone at the Hot Spring County Prosecuting Attorney's Office had second thoughts about this case. "The Plaintiff has decided not to pursue the forfeiture of the currency," Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Teresa Howell said in a May 2014 motion, "and the In Rem Complaint should be dismissed without prejudice." Amazingly, Judge Williams went ahead with the forfeiture anyway, making the state's case for it by citing snatches of Spanish conversation between Espinoza and Hernandez that can be heard in the dashcam video.

The transcript of that conversation shows Espinoza was anxious that Overton would find the cash, which is either evidence of his criminal culpability or perfectly understandable in light of what ultimately happened to his money. It also shows Espinoza talking to his girlfriend about their trip to Graceland and his plan to buy a truck in Memphis, which Williams read as rehearsal of a cover story but which could also be taken at face value.
Williams counted that nervousness as additional evidence of Espinoza's involvement in drug trafficking. After all, why would an innocent person be nervous when confronted by an armed agent of the state intent on searching his vehicle, implicating him in drug crimes, and seizing anything of value he might find? At the same time, Williams suggested that Espinoza was not nervous enough: "It is very obvious that Mr. Espinoza, during the whole stop which was filmed, was very stoic." Williams concluded that the state, which was no longer trying to prove its case, nevertheless had succeeded by meeting the "preponderance of the evidence" standard for civil forfeiture in Arkansas, meaning it was more likely than not that the money had something to do with illegal drugs.
The state appeals court declined to consider any of those issues because Espinoza missed the 30-day deadline for challenging Williams' decision and the 10-day deadline for extending the 30-day deadline. While concurring in that result, Judge Waymond Brown wrote separately to highlight the injustice Espinoza had suffered:
In his order, the judge noted statements such as, "What are we going to do? They just found the money," and "Please don't find it, please don't find it" in determining that both Mr. Espinoza and his companion "knew that this illicit money was hauled down the road." Absent from the same order was the obvious language barrier that existed between Mr. Espinoza and the arresting officer, the officer's insistence that he had been a state trooper for sixteen years and there was only one reason someone would carry that much cash in his vehicle, the officer's apparent refusal to be shown text messages between Mr. Espinoza and the person from whom he said he wished to buy a truck, or even Mr. Espinoza's companion's statement, "You didn't tell me you had that money. You just told me we were coming to buy a truck."

Meanwhile, Mr. Espinoza presented the trial court with numerous paychecks from various construction jobs, as well as tax documents evidencing his argument that the money was lawfully earned. Nevertheless, the trial judge ordered forfeiture of the nearly $20,000. In response to Mr. Espinoza’s motion for reconsideration, the judge simply stated, "The Defendant’s Motion to Reconsider is denied and without merit." He gave no further explanation. I am of the belief that unsubstantiated suspicions are not just cause for circumventing established judicial practices.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #425 on: May 14, 2016, 11:41:07 AM »
The asset forfeiture program is such a scam. I can't believe more people aren't outraged by it.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #426 on: May 25, 2016, 04:06:32 AM »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #427 on: May 25, 2016, 09:32:15 AM »
The judge's reasoning is gold. :heh

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #428 on: May 25, 2016, 10:34:07 AM »
The judge's reasoning is gold. :heh
District Judge. I'm hoping to see this go further up the chain.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #429 on: June 09, 2016, 01:59:24 PM »
http://www.news9.com/story/32168555/ohp-uses-new-device-to-seize-money-used-during-the-commission-of-a-crime :usacry

It shows the state is paying ERAD Group Inc., $5,000 for the software and scanners, then 7.7 percent of all the cash the highway patrol seizes.
:comeon :comeon :comeon

benjipwns

« Reply #430 on: June 12, 2016, 09:11:22 AM »
Here's how it works. If a trooper suspects a person may have money tied to some type of crime, the highway patrol can scan and seize money from prepaid cards.  OHP stresses troopers do not do this during all traffic stops, only situations where they believe there is probable cause.

"We're gonna look for different factors in the way that you're acting,” Oklahoma Highway Patrol Lt. John Vincent said. “We're gonna look for if there's a difference in your story. If there's someway that we can prove that you're falsifying information to us about your business."

Troopers insist this isn't just about seizing cash. 

"I know that a lot of people are just going to focus on the seizing money. That's a very small thing that' s happening now. The largest part that we have found ... the biggest benefit has been the identity theft," Vincent said.

"If you can prove can prove that you have a legitimate reason to have that money it will be given back to you. And we've done that in the past," Vincent said about any money seized.

State Sen. Kyle Loveless, R-Oklahoma City, said that removes due process and the belief that a suspect is presumed innocent until proven guilty. He said we've already seen cases in Oklahoma where police are abusing the system.

"We've seen single mom's stuff be taken, a cancer survivor his drugs taken, we saw a Christian band being taken. We've seen innocent people's stuff being taken. We've seen where the money goes and how it's been misspent," Loveless said.

Loveless plans to introduce legislation next session that would require a conviction before any assets could be seized.
I hope this bastard gets beaten in the primaries before he literally handcuffs our first line of defense against criminals. (No Democrat is running in the general election it seems, a Libertarian might.)

Typical, he's got a hysterical crime frenzied wife:
Summer Loveless, 38, wife of Oklahoma State Senator Kyle Loveless, was arrested after police say she was uncooperative during a traffic stop.

Police said Loveless was speeding along l-44, near Northwest Expressway. She was allegedly changing lanes and following too closely to other vehicles.

An officer tried to pull her over, but she allegedly kept driving for about another mile. She, then, exited May Ave. and pulled into a Lowe's parking lot.

Authorities said, when the officer approached her car, Loveless had her window rolled up, made a gesture to the officer signaling for him to wait, then, proceeded to send a text message.

Eventually, the officer talked with the senator's wife and found out she was driving with a suspended license.

"At this point, the driver had her radio turned up apparently loud. The officer tried three different times to get her attention. Finally, she turned the radio back down and was able to make contact with the officer," Capt. Paco Balderrama Oklahoma City Police Dept. "Initially, the driver was not cooperative... continued to argue with the officer, but subsequently, was placed under arrest."

Loveless faces charges of driving under suspension, two counts of following too closely, and one count of obstructing an officer.

In a Facebook post, Loveless ranted about how she claims she was treated in the Oklahoma County Jail, saying she was "psychologically and sexually abused."

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #431 on: July 07, 2016, 01:03:50 AM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-don-sense-police-killing-alton-sterling-article-1.2700578

So, do we not have an Alton Sterling thread?

This just seems insane.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #432 on: July 07, 2016, 01:21:23 AM »
already there's another video of a police shooting  circulating as of an hour ago.  man was in the car with his family, reached for his id, police shot him. his wife recorded the video.

police in this country are out of fucking control. we're approaching 600 ppl shot and killed by cops so far this year, and that doesn't even include shit like the constant stream of stories about ppl who just suddenly decided to kill themselves in police custody. our whole damn justice system is racist trash and always has been, and it's gonna rip our country to shreds (not that i mind) if they don't clamp down on it hard asap.
pcp

benjipwns

« Reply #433 on: July 07, 2016, 01:38:42 AM »
BREAKING: #AltonSterling Was Child Raping Dead Beat Dad Who Owed $25,000+ in Child Support, Not Good “Father of Five”
Yet another narrative exploded… No, Alton Sterling wasn’t a good dad at all.

One of the lies currently being peddled about pedophile gang banger Alton Sterling is that he was a good father.

In fact Sterling was a dead beat dad who owned over $25,000 in child support, according to court records from the state of Louisiana.
Controversial riot instigator (and allegedly CEO of Twitter Jack Dorsey’s boyfriend) Deray The Gay McKesson made a big deal about Sterling’s death in an altercation with police.

Is McKesson admitting to being a pedophile too? Let’s hope not. We wouldn’t want another pedophile in Black Lives Matter movement. It’s becoming a trend.
Let’s sum it up: A convicted pedophile with previous charges ranging from drugs to illegal firearms. The police were called because he was pointing a gun at people in the parking lot.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
About Charles C. Johnson
Gotnews.com founder and editor-in-chief Charles C. Johnson is an investigative journalist, author, and sought after researcher. He was a contributor to the Daily Caller and the Blaze, and his work is frequently featured on Drudge Report. He is author of Why Coolidge Matters: Leadership Lessons from America’s Most Underrated President and The Truth About the IRS Scandal. Charles is an award-winning journalist who has also written for Wall Street Journal, New York Post, Los Angeles Times, American Spectator, Daily Beast, National Review Online, PJ Media, and Weekly Standard. Charles has appeared on Fox News with Megyn Kelly, Sean Hannity, and Lou Dobbs and numerous radio programs, including Rusty Humphries, Dennis Prager, Larry Elder, and Mark Levin. He is at work on a new book about the researcher community and Barack Obama.
[close]

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dommy • 3 hours ago
Thank You, Baton Rouge Police officers, for your service to mankind.

GoodNews ✓Orthodox 4Trump  Dommy • 3 hours ago
Let God handle it from here.

Dommy  GoodNews ✓Orthodox 4Trump • 3 hours ago
Oh, He will! Of that you can be certain.
No parole either -- forever.

Hotlanta Mike  Dommy • 3 hours ago
Another one bites the dust...

Libtards Lie  Dommy • 3 hours ago
Amen.

Niccolo' Machiavelli  Dommy • 8 minutes ago
DOJ to investigate civil rights violations?
Why was this pedophile roaming the streets? The police did a great job, no mercy for pedophiles: that's my line in the sand, when you cross it you have given up your rights!
[close]
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 01:43:20 AM by benjipwns »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #434 on: July 07, 2016, 01:44:49 AM »
already there's another video of a police shooting  circulating as of an hour ago.  man was in the car with his family, reached for his id, police shot him. his wife recorded the video.

police in this country are out of fucking control. we're approaching 600 ppl shot and killed by cops so far this year, and that doesn't even include shit like the constant stream of stories about ppl who just suddenly decided to kill themselves in police custody. our whole damn justice system is racist trash and always has been, and it's gonna rip our country to shreds (not that i mind) if they don't clamp down on it hard asap.

http://boingboing.net/2016/07/06/falconheights-philando-casti.html

Bebpo

« Reply #435 on: July 07, 2016, 02:11:09 AM »
Jesus fucking christ.  It's been too much for fucking ever.  I don't even have anything to say in these threads.  Let's get some shit on ballots to change the whole system from square one.  If a black president can't even change things though, goddamnit, it's going to be a long climb.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #436 on: July 07, 2016, 08:01:17 AM »
Complies, gets shot for it. This is going to keep happening so long as the police walk away from all of their mistakes (or 'mistakes', as the case may be). What would the story look like without video?

I can remember another case where a guy got shot for complying. The state trooper in question lost his job over it, though I don't know if he faced any charges.

a bunch of human refuse
How much crying would there be about due process and constitutional rights from the very same cunts if this had been a white guy? Or is is this just the frontier justice mentality, where finding out that the victim 'deserved' it overrides any and all expected standards in a civilized society?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #437 on: July 07, 2016, 08:12:39 AM »
I think what really makes those bad cases so bad is how quickly and completely other cops and cop organizations circle the wagons around those bad apples and try to prevent any action being taken. I understand that it's a brotherhood and all that, but some cops just don't deserve that kind of protection.

From the first page of the thread.

Not just fellow police, but huge (mostly white) swaths of the public, too.  People going out of their way and looking for reasons to defend and justify black people getting killed.  Any lack of compliance, any past misbehavior, anything to show the victim was "not an angel" as if only angels deserve to not be shot.

The number of police officers killing civilians may be small, but the number of people rallying to them and protecting them from consequences is huge.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #438 on: July 07, 2016, 08:38:22 AM »

not only that, he told the officer ahead of time that he was simply reaching for his ID.

« Reply #439 on: July 07, 2016, 10:12:34 AM »
Both of these shooting highlight how terrified white police officers are of black men. That seems to be the problem that needs to be fixed, because their training doesn’t seem to be the issue when dealing with angry, armed, white men.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #440 on: July 07, 2016, 10:41:08 AM »
Both of these shooting highlight how terrified white police officers are of black men. That seems to be the problem that needs to be fixed, because their training doesn’t seem to be the issue when dealing with angry, armed, white men.

It's very scary when even black 12 year olds can suddenly hit a growth spurt and grow to 6'1" 280lbs before the cops very eyes.
©@©™

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #441 on: July 07, 2016, 11:49:36 AM »
yeah I'm not convinced fear is at the root of a lot of these, especially when there is a huge desire among the white gun enthusiast/race war types to go out and shoot black people.
pcp

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #442 on: July 07, 2016, 01:29:57 PM »
Even more disgusting than the cop's actions are the people that bring up things from the victim's past to try and justify the killing.
©ZH

benjipwns

« Reply #443 on: July 07, 2016, 01:47:24 PM »
Complies, gets shot for it. This is going to keep happening so long as the police walk away from all of their mistakes (or 'mistakes', as the case may be). What would the story look like without video?

I can remember another case where a guy got shot for complying. The state trooper in question lost his job over it, though I don't know if he faced any charges.
I remember a really absurd case from a few years ago where the officer told a guy to get up and then shot him a bunch of times. Then his claim at trial was that he meant to say "don't get up" so it was just a small mistake and the jury accepted the explanation and he was not guilty on all charges.

So complying or not complying is a bit of a Schrodinger's Box.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #444 on: July 07, 2016, 01:53:08 PM »
So, basically: He was a scary black man. Acquitted.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 04:57:10 PM by Rufus »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #445 on: July 07, 2016, 04:49:18 PM »
I understand that cops can be nervous or on edge in certain environments. Some cops are basically working in warzones....sure patrolling Berkley, CA is a very different experience than patrolling Flint, MI. I get all that. But in both of these cases, and most (not all) of these cases that gain national attention, a black man who is clearly not a threat gets killed for nothing. The solution to making a fat guy comply with being arrested is not to choke him to death, or shoot him multiple times. That should be basic common fucking sense.

And there's no question the mere presence of a black man puts many white people on edge to some degree. I've had police pull over to talk to me just because I dared to check my mail box in the evening, or shovel my driveway at night. Yea I live across the street from a bank...but I'm always the only guy getting this treatment, because I'm the only young black guy. The rest of my neighbors aren't getting stopped for shit like that. You're always a potential threat, which means you're always a potential target.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #446 on: July 07, 2016, 05:42:24 PM »
Some cops just automatically assume that all criminals are black. A couple years ago I was walking home and a couple white guys were yelling and banging on cars or something with knives (they were drunk) and a few minutes later me and some random black dude are face down while the cops tell us we "matched a description".

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #447 on: July 07, 2016, 10:40:04 PM »
sniper in Dallas; just shot 2 police
pcp

Sausage

« Reply #448 on: July 07, 2016, 10:48:31 PM »

I hope no innocent people get hurt.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #449 on: July 07, 2016, 11:28:21 PM »

I hope no innocent people get hurt.

Oh snap
püp

Sausage

« Reply #450 on: July 07, 2016, 11:41:03 PM »
Statement from the DPD chief says 10 officers shot 3 dead, 2 in critical condition and 3 in surgery. Also 4 DART officers shot and one of them is dead.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #451 on: July 07, 2016, 11:59:53 PM »
Sigh.  America had a good run.

Maybe now this will let us ban fucking guns.
püp

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #452 on: July 08, 2016, 12:13:10 AM »
More guns were supposed to solve all societies ills.
©ZH

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #453 on: July 08, 2016, 12:18:02 AM »
these guys going to be ex military?

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #454 on: July 08, 2016, 12:22:09 AM »
Doesn't take a lot of firearm experience and know how to sit ontop of a building and fire down at people below.

The suspects could be anyone.
OH!

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #455 on: July 08, 2016, 12:32:34 AM »
Well, yeah. That's the end result of indiscriminately killing a group of people. It's going to dawn on them that no matter what they do they could be killed at any time with no real justification so why not just do whatever the fuck they want? Like kill some police or random civilians? Honestly it's shocking how well behaved persons of color are considering all this shit.
Hi

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #456 on: July 08, 2016, 12:49:48 AM »
something something armed society
dog

helios

« Reply #457 on: July 08, 2016, 12:55:54 AM »
What a tragic event. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of them.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #458 on: July 08, 2016, 12:56:03 AM »
Well hey, maybe we'll get some gun control now
yar

helios

« Reply #459 on: July 08, 2016, 01:01:53 AM »
I'd laugh if that happens, but only because it would be shameful.

Sausage

« Reply #460 on: July 08, 2016, 01:15:07 AM »
NSFW NSFL

Police officer getting taken down at point blank range

https://twitter.com/seguifox13/status/751278909895745537?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #461 on: July 08, 2016, 01:20:57 AM »
NSFW NSFL

Police officer getting taken down at point blank range

https://twitter.com/seguifox13/status/751278909895745537?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I was promised NSFW NSFL.
serge

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #462 on: July 08, 2016, 01:23:24 AM »
Mulford Act remix on the way brehs.

Phoenix Dark

Syph

« Reply #464 on: July 08, 2016, 01:46:56 AM »
XO

TVC15

« Reply #465 on: July 08, 2016, 02:21:48 AM »
 so, does anyone want to make any guesses on what the suspects are? This feels like militia McVeigh/Nichols/Mandark types to me, judging by da moves on display in the disappointing snuff video and the content of the negotiating suspect's THE END IS NEAR AND BOMBS ARE EVERYWHERE message to the police. Plus the general coordination.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 02:29:11 AM by TVC 15 »
serge

mormapope

« Reply #466 on: July 08, 2016, 02:27:57 AM »
I'm going to guess late 20's/early 30's somethings that are white and are American born, came from well off families, bought a fuck ton of ammo and armor overtime.     

One suspect is a woman, going to guess she was a pass along for the entire group or a girlfriend to one of the suspects.
OH!

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #467 on: July 08, 2016, 03:01:12 AM »
So, does anyone want to make any guesses on what the suspects are?

Not really ?
ὕβρις

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #468 on: July 08, 2016, 03:10:26 AM »
Honestly, I hope that the shooters are white since that would reduce the backlash. Who knows?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #469 on: July 08, 2016, 03:40:34 AM »
Honestly, I hope that the shooters are white since that would reduce the backlash. Who knows?

Not even sure of that, depending on his confession and political leanings. I think some pundits are also eager to blame Obama for enabling this crime by waging war on cops or some bullshit.
ὕβρις

mormapope

« Reply #470 on: July 08, 2016, 04:00:34 AM »
I can't tell if the suspects not being named or revealed to the public yet is taking longer than usual in mass shootings or terror attacks like this. Its more annoying than strange, as context behind something like this isn't a bad thing to have.

OH!

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #471 on: July 08, 2016, 04:13:57 AM »
Banana republic

TVC15

« Reply #472 on: July 08, 2016, 04:15:37 AM »
I can't tell if the suspects not being named or revealed to the public yet is taking longer than usual in mass shootings or terror attacks like this. Its more annoying than strange, as context behind something like this isn't a bad thing to have.

It was basically the morning after for the Orlando shooting, although I think there were leaks before the official word. I don't think announcements are generally made in the middle of the night.

I have fingers crossed for militia-y types. Between Hillary and Newt maybe being up for VP, it'd be another sign the 90s are back.
serge

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #473 on: July 08, 2016, 04:16:04 AM »
I don't mind them not releasing names right away, but it feels a bit weird since they rushed to broadcast the face of that one guy who it turned out had nothing to do with it.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #474 on: July 08, 2016, 04:21:03 AM »

Not even sure of that, depending on his confession and political leanings. I think some pundits are also eager to blame Obama for enabling this crime by waging war on cops or some bullshit.

I could be rewriting it in my head but wasn't that Breivik guy in Oslo out the news pretty quickly. Especially considering the scale of the one man attack.

These shooters were organized and explicitly wanted to kill cops, some people could see this as an ethnic group attacking the US (ISIS or BLM) even though there hasn't been a shooting like this before. My main fear is seeing this cause a back and forth escalation.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #475 on: July 08, 2016, 04:51:18 AM »
I'd say you are misremembering, indeed, as far as Europe is concerned (can't speak for the US). The Breivik case was more cut & dry because he apparently did it all alone, but beyond that he was in the news pretty consistently till then with his huge manifesto, his trial and the shenanigans he pulled, his jailing accomodation and now for having won a claim that some of his rights were violated. Seems to be the usual treatment for your egomaniac political murderer, you could say the same for Carlos.

I mean the political signification of Breivik in the context of Europe straying far-right wasn't lost to anyone. Fundamentalist Islam gets more coverage because it is perceived as an external threat, probably, but it is arguably not wholly unjustified considering just how active it is.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #476 on: July 08, 2016, 07:55:06 AM »
Statement saying they haven't found "affiliations to international terror" so suspects probably not muslims, I guess ?
ὕβρις

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #477 on: July 08, 2016, 08:00:27 AM »
Man if your own people are just targeting police like this your country is fucked up good, that's a breakdown of what a society is built on

Fifstar

« Reply #478 on: July 08, 2016, 08:02:22 AM »
It didn't really match any patterns of Islamist terror I think. Their attacks normally aim for mass casualties and don't single out specific groups, at least not in the west.
Gulp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #479 on: July 08, 2016, 08:40:41 AM »
I'd be stunned if they aren't black. Seems tied to the recorded shootings. You can only push people so far before they snap. Not justifying anything, it's disgusting what happened. But those suspects who got arrested last night will be convicted and sentenced to death or life in prison, while the cops who executed black men on camera will go free as usual. They might not even receive charges. And it'll just be another case of black people being told you aren't shit. And people will react, positively and negatively. If you want to call it blowback or something else, it is what it is.

It's a shame and a terrible situation.