Author Topic: Catch-all Cop Thread  (Read 140393 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: Catch-all Cop Thread
« Reply #600 on: September 13, 2016, 01:42:46 PM »
Dude also got robbed of his pension rights because heh !

Police union noticeably silent about this one, I see. ::)
dog

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #601 on: September 17, 2016, 02:58:35 PM »
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/local-news/20160916-dallas-police-sergeant-files-federal-lawsuit-accusing-black-lives-matter-leaders-of-inciting-anti-cop-violence.ece
A Dallas police sergeant has filed a federal lawsuit against Black Lives Matter leaders and others, blaming the movement for race riots and violence against police officers.

Sgt. Demetrick Pennie, president of the Dallas Fallen Officer Foundation and a 17-year law enforcement veteran, filed the amended complaint in federal court Friday.
The listed defendants include not only those associated with the Black Lives Matter movement but public figures such as the Rev. Al Sharpton, Louis Farrahkan, George Soros, the New Black Panthers Party and even President Barack Obama and presidential nominee Hillary Clinton.

According to the suit, the defendants "have repeatedly incited their supporters and others to engage in threats of and attacks to cause serious bodily injury or death upon police officers and other law enforcement persons of all races and ethnicities."

The suit accuses the defendants of inciting supporters and others "to engage in threats and attacks" against law enforcement officers around the country, including the July 7 murders of five Dallas officers by Micah Johnson after a Black Lives Matter demonstration.

Pennie is being represented by Larry Klayman of lobbying organization FreedomWatch.

"Sergeant Pennie and I feel duty-bound to put ourselves forward to seek an end to the incitement of violence against law enforcement which has already resulted in the death of five police officers in Dallas and the wounding of seven more, just in Texas alone," Breitbart quoted Klayman as saying in a release.

The 66-page complaint seeks damages of more than $500 million.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #602 on: September 17, 2016, 03:27:43 PM »
:lol

benjipwns

« Reply #603 on: September 17, 2016, 04:01:02 PM »
Here's the complaint:
https://www.scribd.com/document/324251965/Pennie-v-Soros-et-al-Amended-Complaint
In this class action Amended Compliant, Plaintiffs Demetrick Pennie and Larry Klayman (collectively “Plaintiffs” unless individually named), and police officers and other law enforcement persons of all races and ethnicities including but not limited to Jews, Christians and Caucasians, sue Defendants Louis Farrakhan, Nation of Islam, Al Sharpton, National Action  Network, Black Lives Matter, Rashad Turner, Opal Tometi, Patrisse Cullors, Alicia Garza, Johnetta Elzie, Deray McKesson, New Black Panthers Party, Malik Zulu Shabazz, George Soros, Barack Hussein Obama, Eric Holder, and Hillary Clinton (collectively “Defendants” unless individually named) in their individual and official capacities where applicable, and in support allege as follows:

Here's an internet comment:
Geeman  Jeffrey C. Miller • a day ago
It's about time the Cops start fightback against these race war instigators.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #604 on: September 19, 2016, 12:41:01 PM »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #605 on: September 23, 2016, 06:39:09 AM »

« Reply #606 on: September 23, 2016, 08:58:24 AM »
I think this is one of those cases where the body cameras will protect the police. Her lawyer made it sound like unprovoked police brutality, but the body cams show a different story. You would think she was white the way she refuses to comply, insults the police and orders them around.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #607 on: September 24, 2016, 01:41:52 AM »
So the bodycam footage from the shooting in Charleston (which was the catalyst for the recent protests/riots) hasn't been released, but a recording taken by the victim's wife came out today.

Not really up to watching it right now, but saw some folks on Twitter saying there might be a sign of a gun being planted.  In any case, I figure if the video clearly confirmed the police version of events they would have been quicker on making it public.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #610 on: October 04, 2016, 05:22:45 PM »
I saw this book in a shop last week and started laughing:
Hi

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #611 on: October 04, 2016, 06:40:55 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/oct/03/sacramento-police-shooting-joseph-mann-dashcam-video

The Guardian has a tracker of people shot by police in the US linked at the end of that article and claims that almost 820 persons were killed this year (over 1100 in 2015)  :mindblown

Seen from Europe, it's a total mystery.
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #612 on: October 05, 2016, 03:13:20 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/oct/03/sacramento-police-shooting-joseph-mann-dashcam-video

The Guardian has a tracker of people shot by police in the US linked at the end of that article and claims that almost 820 persons were killed this year (over 1100 in 2015)  :mindblown

Seen from Europe, it's a total mystery.

Seen from any kind of human understanding standpoint, it's a fucking mystery.

PlayDat

« Reply #613 on: October 21, 2016, 08:09:34 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/21/opinion/the-death-of-deborah-danner.html?_r=0

Deborah Danner, an elderly woman with schizophrenia was killed in her apartment this week.

Quote from: New York Times
The investigation has just begun, but the case looks bad for the department. Police Commissioner James O’Neill almost immediately placed the sergeant, Hugh Barry, on modified duty, stripped of his badge and gun. Mayor Bill de Blasio said at a news conference that the sergeant had not followed training or protocols for dealing with those with mental illness, and for some reason had neither used his Taser nor waited for specialized officers trained to deal with such situations. Mr. O’Neill said: “We failed.”

benjipwns

« Reply #614 on: October 24, 2016, 03:25:06 PM »
http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/2016/10/aclu_takes_issue_with_law_enforcement_ceremony_bef.html
A ceremony honoring law enforcement, military and first responders before a high school football game Friday night drew criticism from the American Civil Liberties Union of New Jersey because of an underlying "frightening message."

The ceremony was held before a highly-anticipated Shore Conference clash between two topped ranked teams in the state, Middletown South and Toms River North.

The ceremony, organized by Middletown police Deputy Chief Stephen Dollinger, featured State Police Pipes and Drums of the Blue and Gold, state and local mounted units, military personnel from all branches of service and officers from surrounding police departments and sheriff's units.

It also honored the Linden police officer who was wounded in a shootout with Ahmad Khan Rahimi, who is accused of bombings in Seaside Park, Elizabeth and New York City.

Dollinger told the Asbury Park Press before the event that the ceremony was also meant to respond to pro athletes who have taken a knee during pre-game performances of the national anthem, most notably by San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

"It's OK to stand up for social justice, inequality and reform," Dollinger told the newspaper. "It's another thing to not stand up for the national anthem."

Those comments caught the attention of the ACLU of New Jersey, who condemned the ceremony in a letter written to Middletown High School South officials. 

"As initially described, the event appeared to honor police officers, veterans, service members, and first responders," the ACLU wrote to the district. "According to press reports, however, the event is being used to intimidate and ostracize people who express their views about systemic racism and social just."

"Law enforcement officers are sworn to protect the constitution, and it is a disservice to the students and players that an event that should focus on them, their families, and their communities is being used to send a message that people who express concerns about disparities in the criminal justice system are unwelcome, disloyal or unpatriotic," the letter states.

benjipwns

« Reply #615 on: October 24, 2016, 03:27:59 PM »
I saw this book in a shop last week and started laughing:
(Image removed from quote.)
I saw this on Amazon the other day and what was even better was when I clicked on it and saw the "frequently bought together":

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Himu

« Reply #616 on: October 24, 2016, 04:15:21 PM »
IYKYK

« Reply #617 on: October 27, 2016, 09:19:55 AM »
Off-duty DC police officer says he was brutalized by Prince George's Co. officer

PG county police department doesn't even apologize lol

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/213809206-story

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #618 on: October 27, 2016, 11:32:26 AM »
Pretty crazy story out of Oklahoma, they still haven't caught the guy:

What kind of man would shoot two officers, kill two relatives and brag about his exploits on Facebook Live?

Apparently a man recently charged with child sex abuse who might also try to spread a communicable disease, Oklahoma authorities say.

Michael Dale Vance Jr. seems to be relishing his notoriety as fugitive, streaming on Facebook Live shortly after the two Wellston officers were shot and wounded.

“This is more intense than I thought it would be, to say the least,” Vance said, apparently driving a stolen vehicle.

“This truck is about dead. … I’m about to steal another car. Like right now.”

In another clip, Vance points the camera at a weapon on the floor of the vehicle — possibly an AK-47 — and hints at violence to come.

“Letting you all know look, this is real — see? That’s a mother——- gun. That’s the real deal. This ain’t a joke. This ain’t a prank. I’m going (expletive) live.”

Authorities later found the bodies of two of Vance’s relatives. Both showed signs of attempted dismemberment.

Since then, authorities haven’t been able to catch the 38-year-old fugitive from Chandler, Oklahoma, now accused of a lengthy crime spree.
dog

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #619 on: October 27, 2016, 12:40:27 PM »
Off-duty DC police officer says he was brutalized by Prince George's Co. officer

Prince George's police have a bit of a reputation.  Back when I got my haircuts at a black barbershop, I heard some variation on "don't fuck with those PG boys" more than once.

Beezy

« Reply #620 on: October 27, 2016, 01:46:21 PM »

Prince George's police have a bit of a reputation.  Back when I got my haircuts at a black barbershop, I heard some variation on "don't fuck with those PG boys" more than once.
Yeah, I first learned about them last year in Ta-nehisi Coates' book Between the World and Me for killing a friend of his. They sound worse than NYPD.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #621 on: December 02, 2016, 04:24:48 PM »
The jury in the Walter Scott case said it can't agree on a verdict, the judge told them to go back and deliberate further.

Since they're all sort of blurring together for a lot of us, that's this one:
[close]

No blood or dead body, but a still shot from the video showing where Scott was and how he was facing when he got shot.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #622 on: December 02, 2016, 04:32:16 PM »
WTF

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #623 on: December 02, 2016, 05:20:33 PM »
Is that the one where the cop is on video planting a weapon?

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #624 on: December 02, 2016, 05:22:40 PM »
No, but he lies about Scott having intended to go for his taser and providing immediate CPR to Scott. edit: Looked it up again and Slager does go back to plant the taser near Scott.

According to CBS News, the jury on Thursday requested transcripts of witnesses who testified in court to examine “the difference between passion and fear.”
What the hell does this mean?

Either way, that case is royally fucked up.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 05:27:13 PM by Rufus »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #625 on: December 02, 2016, 05:24:20 PM »
There is going to be such a riot when this comes back not guilty. 

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #626 on: December 02, 2016, 05:30:39 PM »
Reports are saying the note from the jury to the judge implied that there was one holdout refusing to convict, which is better than the other way around, I suppose.

Still, if it's so hard to get a conviction in this case...

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #627 on: December 06, 2016, 12:05:19 AM »
aaaaaaaaand it's a mistrial

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #628 on: December 06, 2016, 05:42:02 AM »
The NYT story mentions that it's just one juror who could not "in good conscience consider a guilty verdict". While it's beyond me how this person doesn't see the criminal behaviour there, it's at least just the one person.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #629 on: December 06, 2016, 08:47:59 AM »
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38183819

Not sure where to stick this story, so "catch-all cop thread" is being definition tested. It could also go in a privacy thread.

tl;dr: In order to bypass a suspect's phone lock and encryption, the cops waited for the suspect to make a call, which requires unlocking. Then the cop just kept it active to prevent it from re-locking. So... hey; anyone think of a UI fix for this? Time-limited access? Require password/PIN every 10 minutes of active use?

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #630 on: December 06, 2016, 08:58:38 AM »
Huh.

For the really paranoid, make it so you have to keep a finger on the screen at all times. 

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #631 on: December 06, 2016, 03:09:51 PM »
The NYT story mentions that it's just one juror who could not "in good conscience consider a guilty verdict". While it's beyond me how this person doesn't see the criminal behaviour there, it's at least just the one person.

It's one person after the prosecution would have used voir dire to filter out the most clearly biased potential jurors from the pool.

And after the jury was given the compromise option of convicting for manslaughter and not homicide.

In a shooting caught on tape, where the defense admitted that the victim was running away and had no gun, and that the officer had lied about parts of the incident.

A conviction should have been a foregone conclusion. This was the case that gave lowkey racist apologists no room to equivocate, and it still was a hung jury. After the Tamir Rice shooting didn't even result in charges filed. The fact that some of us are looking at the 11-1 vote (and we have no idea how much persuading it took the other jurors to get to that point) as progress or a hopeful sign shows just how fucked the situation is.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #632 on: December 06, 2016, 03:12:12 PM »
It's one person after the prosecution would have used voir dire to filter out the most clearly biased potential jurors from the pool.
Totally didn't think of this.

Sigh.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #633 on: December 06, 2016, 03:40:42 PM »

And after the jury was given the compromise option of convicting for manslaughter and not homicide.

In a shooting caught on tape, where the defense admitted that the victim was running away and had no gun, and that the officer had lied about parts of the incident.

A conviction should have been a foregone conclusion. This was the case that gave lowkey racist apologists no room to equivocate, and it still was a hung jury. After the Tamir Rice shooting didn't even result in charges filed. The fact that some of us are looking at the 11-1 vote (and we have no idea how much persuading it took the other jurors to get to that point) as progress or a hopeful sign shows just how fucked the situation is.

Ya this really shows that America needs top down justice reform in these cases and now with Obama out and Trump in its going to be a long time before that happens. 

« Reply #636 on: December 09, 2016, 08:41:03 AM »
LOL

« Reply #638 on: December 09, 2016, 10:23:21 AM »
alleged

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #639 on: December 09, 2016, 10:29:08 AM »
The way he says "stop resisting" in-between hits is just surreal. :-\

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #640 on: December 09, 2016, 09:39:30 PM »

Not sure where to stick this story, so "catch-all cop thread" is being definition tested. It could also go in a privacy thread.

tl;dr: In order to bypass a suspect's phone lock and encryption, the cops waited for the suspect to make a call, which requires unlocking. Then the cop just kept it active to prevent it from re-locking. So... hey; anyone think of a UI fix for this? Time-limited access? Require password/PIN every 10 minutes of active use?

Or, as per the effort required on the part of police to go through the hoops to get to the point of the article:  you could simply not be involved in organized crime on a level to attract the attention of a dedicated police task force. ;)

Okay, that's a cheeky response, but still.  From my professional perspective, notwithstanding the "melodramatic" phrasing of the news article, I view the above simply as good, albeit creative, policework.  (By "melodramatic", I think the provocative use of "mugging" a suspect is likely an absurd characterisation of the event.   It might just as well be described as "the police were able to catch the suspect by surprise when they lawfully arrested him.")

Regardless, there are two aspects here, which come up again and again in recent years when it comes to the conflict between evidence gathering vs. encryption.   There is what law enforcement is justified in doing according to the law versus what they are capable of doing, in a technical sense.

Police, especially those investigating serious, organized crime, need to be able to effectively do so.  I do not know the state of the law in regards to warrantless cell phone searches incidental to arrest in the USA, nor Britain. (Though in the latter, I would guess based on the article, the fact they planned such an operation, and got a guilty plea, suggests they felt they were on solid ground, legally).   I do intimately know the state of the case law for Canada, so I'll use that for my analysis.

In Canada, the Supreme Court ruled that a warrantless search of a cell phone incidental to arrest may be justified/admissable given a certain test.  1) Most obviously, the arrest itself must be legal.  2)  The search of the cell phone must be for evidence related to the offence for which the subject was arrested.  This makes sense, to me.  It means no "fishing expeditions", that the officer can't just browse through a phone aimlessly upon an arrest for impaired driving, or causing a disturbance.  3)  There must be some reason for the officer to believe that evidence of the offence may be found on the phone, and that there is a need to search the phone at the time, rather than wait for a search warrant to be obtained.  It is a standard less than "reasonable and probable grounds", but more than mere speculation.  The articulation that an officer may not be able to search the phone later, even with a search warrant may be a factor here.

I believe that the above is a reasonable take on the issue.   This sort of case law is most relevant to "task force" level policing, that most people shouldn't really stress, imo.   If you're really worried about a plainclothes police officer arresting you by surprise for no reason while you are on the phone and then searching through your phone before its locked, that's a level of paranoia/fearfulness that just isn't reasonable, to me.

LOL

also:  Not enough " :goty2 :derp :fbm :badass :picard :iface"s in the world......

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/black-man-frankie-taylor-eastpointe-michigan-blind-beaten-police-tied-chair-dui-alleged-a7463541.html

Fucking hell  :-\
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 09:54:42 PM by Boogie »
MMA

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #641 on: December 09, 2016, 09:51:08 PM »
MMA

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #642 on: December 09, 2016, 10:01:00 PM »
fentanyl is scary

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #643 on: December 09, 2016, 10:12:52 PM »
fentanyl is scary

It has everyone in the policing world freaked the hell out.

It has seemed to be an issue that is affecting Western Canada much more than Ontario so far, though.

As someone part of a team with a specialisation in clandestine drug lab investigation and response, this seems to be one of the rare instances in which the "higher ups" are paying attention to give us the tools, training, and equipment to be able to respond appropriately.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 10:18:13 PM by Boogie »
MMA

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #644 on: December 09, 2016, 10:20:35 PM »
Is there a reason why fentanyl seems to be hitting Canada more than the U.S.?

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #645 on: December 09, 2016, 10:36:46 PM »
Is there a reason why fentanyl seems to be hitting Canada more than the U.S.?

If it is, (and I'm not sure whether that is the case, it may somewhat be a matter of media emphasis), it would largely be a factor of our more lax security measures on importation of fentanyl itself, but moreso, the chemical precursors necessary for the domestic production of the drug.

For over a decade, because of our lax regulation system, and law enforcement resource limitations, we have been a major source country for production and exportation of synthetic drugs in general.  In that context, it is no surprise that fentanyl has also hit us hard.
MMA

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #646 on: December 09, 2016, 11:00:07 PM »

Or, as per the effort required on the part of police to go through the hoops to get to the point of the article:  you could simply not be involved in organized crime on a level to attract the attention of a dedicated police task force. ;)

Okay, that's a cheeky response, but still.  From my professional perspective, notwithstanding the "melodramatic" phrasing of the news article, I view the above simply as good, albeit creative, policework.  (By "melodramatic", I think the provocative use of "mugging" a suspect is likely an absurd characterisation of the event.   It might just as well be described as "the police were able to catch the suspect by surprise when they lawfully arrested him.")

Regardless, there are two aspects here, which come up again and again in recent years when it comes to the conflict between evidence gathering vs. encryption.   There is what law enforcement is justified in doing according to the law versus what they are capable of doing, in a technical sense.

Police, especially those investigating serious, organized crime, need to be able to effectively do so.  I do not know the state of the law in regards to warrantless cell phone searches incidental to arrest in the USA, nor Britain. (Though in the latter, I would guess based on the article, the fact they planned such an operation, and got a guilty plea, suggests they felt they were on solid ground, legally).   I do intimately know the state of the case law for Canada, so I'll use that for my analysis.

In Canada, the Supreme Court ruled that a warrantless search of a cell phone incidental to arrest may be justified/admissable given a certain test.  1) Most obviously, the arrest itself must be legal.  2)  The search of the cell phone must be for evidence related to the offence for which the subject was arrested.  This makes sense, to me.  It means no "fishing expeditions", that the officer can't just browse through a phone aimlessly upon an arrest for impaired driving, or causing a disturbance.  3)  There must be some reason for the officer to believe that evidence of the offence may be found on the phone, and that there is a need to search the phone at the time, rather than wait for a search warrant to be obtained.  It is a standard less than "reasonable and probable grounds", but more than mere speculation.  The articulation that an officer may not be able to search the phone later, even with a search warrant may be a factor here.

I believe that the above is a reasonable take on the issue.   This sort of case law is most relevant to "task force" level policing, that most people shouldn't really stress, imo.   If you're really worried about a plainclothes police officer arresting you by surprise for no reason while you are on the phone and then searching through your phone before its locked, that's a level of paranoia/fearfulness that just isn't reasonable, to me.

LOL

also:  Not enough " :goty2 :derp :fbm :badass :picard :iface"s in the world......

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/black-man-frankie-taylor-eastpointe-michigan-blind-beaten-police-tied-chair-dui-alleged-a7463541.html

Thanks for taking the time to write out a reasoned and thoughtful response. Why do you hate freedom.
Sorry, that's as close as I get to actually trolling. For reals, I figured a Like isn't enough when you've put that much thought into explaining your professional viewpoint to another person. FWIW, I agree with your assessment on all fronts, and that "mugging" is an inappropriately lurid term to use for this case. Maybe the guy in the DUI article though. Jesus.
[close]

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #647 on: December 09, 2016, 11:27:25 PM »

LOL

Thanks for taking the time to write out a reasoned and thoughtful response. Why do you hate freedom.
Sorry, that's as close as I get to actually trolling. For reals, I figured a Like isn't enough when you've put that much thought into explaining your professional viewpoint to another person. FWIW, I agree with your assessment on all fronts, and that "mugging" is an inappropriately lurid term to use for this case. Maybe the guy in the DUI article though. Jesus.
[close]

It's a topic that deserves "real" debate, that I feel is often under-served by both "sides."   As a "grunt" on the law enforcement side, I feel that that arguments put forth in public by law enforcement on this issue often aren't the most well articulated and reasoned, even when we have a good case for what we are doing.   And on the privacy side, many privacy/tech "experts" put forward scary hypotheticals of "Big Brother-hood" that show little relation to what I see "us" doing on a practical level in law enforcement.   There's certainly room for reasonable disagreement in that space.

MMA

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #648 on: December 12, 2016, 04:25:07 AM »
Yeah.  :-\

My biggest concern in general is the militarization of police. I think if the carpenter has a hammer, he sees all problems as nails.  Looking at the Stanford Experiment, just putting humans in a position of power over other humans, there are abuses. Putting them in armor where they feel invincible? I'm going to assume that makes them act worse.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #649 on: December 13, 2016, 10:31:36 AM »
LOL

Sadly, he was killed in a deadly Tea Cup rampage, only one day away from retirement.
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

benjipwns

« Reply #651 on: December 28, 2016, 09:08:32 PM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/court-rules-dogs-shot-bark-police-enter-home-article-1.2926772
Mark and Cheryl Brown of Battle Creek, Mich., filed suits over unreasonable seizure of their property and a violation of their constitutional rights for the deaths of their pets.

According to the Battle Creek Enquirer, officers shot and killed the Browns' pit bull terriers during an April 2013 operation, with Emergency Response Team members claiming one lunged at them and that the other barked as they executed a search warrant for drugs.

“The standard we set out today is that a police officer’s use of deadly force against a dog while executing a search warrant to search a home for illegal drug activity is reasonable under the Fourth Amendment when … the dog poses an imminent threat to the officer’s safety,” wrote Judge Eric Clay in the decision that saw the U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati side with the U.S. District Court in Grand Rapids' dismissal.

Clay concluded the decision by stating that "a jury could reasonably conclude that a 97-pound pit bull, barking and lunging at the officers as they breached the entryway, posed a threat to the officers' safety."

The Browns had been living in the basement of the home, which was owned by Cheryl Brown's daughter, Danielle Nesbitt. Nesbitt had a child with Vincent Jones, who was allegedly using the residence to sell drugs, according to WOOD TV.

"It was a good ruling," Police Chief Jim Blocker told the Battle Creek Enquirer. "It pointed out some things we have to improve upon, but supported our operating concept that officers must act within reason."
Blocker said "officers have milliseconds to make a decision and it is a judgment call and based on too many variables. Ensuring officer safety and preventing the destruction of evidence must be protected."

Blocker was a member of the Emergency Response Team for 12 years and said "officers already know that dogs are not the guilty party. The animals are typically among the innocent."

He said officers today shoot fewer animals than in the past and have tried to develop alternatives like distraction using fire extinguishers or catch poles and if possible have a animal control officer present to assist. He said officers have looked for dog food as a way to distract dogs.

"In this case the animals were actively aggressive and an imminent threat to the officers. But shooting an animal in a home is not ideal. We could have subjects in other rooms and officers don't want to start throwing rounds into area where they aren't sure no one else is going to get hurt."

"Most of our officers are dog owners themselves," Blocker said. "And I want to know if we hurt a dog. They are going to have to explain themselves."

He said practices are being written into policy but that the department wants to ensure officer safety.

"We try to give officers a framework with their safety in mind because I am concerned about them going home uninjured."

benjipwns

« Reply #652 on: January 02, 2017, 07:00:26 PM »
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/312331-former-chicago-police-chief-blasts-black-lives-matter
Former Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy on Sunday blamed the Black Lives Matter movement for causing a rise in violent crime around the country.

During a radio interview with John Catsimatidis on AM 970 in New York, McCarthy blamed protests against police brutality in cities like Baltimore, Ferguson, Mo., and Charlotte, N.C., for creating a “political atmosphere of anti-police sentiment.”

“So what’s happening, and this is ironic, is that a movement with the goal of saving black lives at this point is getting black lives taken, because 80 percent of our murder victims here in Chicago are male blacks,” McCarthy said. “Less than half of 1 percent of all the shootings in this city involve police officers shooting civilians.”
In an interview segment that aired on 60 Minutes on Sunday evening, McCarthy said, “officers are under attack. That’s how they feel in this environment.”

“Noncompliance with the law is becoming legitimized,” he added. We’re reaching a state of lawlessness”

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #653 on: January 02, 2017, 07:18:56 PM »
BLM is now resonsible for black on black crime? Huh.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #654 on: January 17, 2017, 05:53:18 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #655 on: January 17, 2017, 05:59:06 PM »
Shortly before he was arrested, the wrongly accused suspect told someone on the phone: ' You know how it is with black people — they think we’re always trying to do something wrong'
And now he's complaining?!? You can't please some people.

F.Y.I.
[close]

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #656 on: January 17, 2017, 06:03:15 PM »
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/illinois-police-beat-black-man-lawrence-crosby-stealing-own-car-video-a7531721.html

I like the part where one officer tells the guy he's on camera.

:dead

I hope they all get fired

FYI
[close]

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #657 on: January 17, 2017, 06:06:53 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #658 on: January 17, 2017, 06:08:41 PM »
Once officers realised the car belonged to Mr Crosby, they arrested him and charged him with disobeying officers and resisting arrest.

:comeon
dog

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #659 on: January 17, 2017, 06:22:46 PM »
I hope they all get fired

Quote from: the article
The officers involved in the incident were not reprimanded, and the Evanston Police Department defended its actions, saying the officers were "in compliance with our procedures as it pertains to this type of situation".

:yeshrug