Author Topic: Bloodstained: Ritual Of The Night And Curse Of The Moon!  (Read 29811 times)

Spieler1

Re: Bloodstained: Ritual Of The Night
« Reply #240 on: April 06, 2018, 06:16:39 PM »
They needed to sacrifice David Hayter and whatever else necessary for Ayami Kojima to improve this project by 500%.

Spieler1

« Reply #241 on: May 12, 2018, 02:04:43 AM »

:o

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #242 on: May 12, 2018, 04:27:20 AM »
Both a Castlevania 3 reimagining and a Symphony of the Night one? This Kickstarter is looking pretty good.

Freyj

« Reply #243 on: May 12, 2018, 11:23:31 AM »
Iím a little more excited about this than the actual Kickstarter game and I donít even remember that stretch goal.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #244 on: May 13, 2018, 11:05:42 AM »
The retro game looks awesome! Been waiting for a new game with the classic CV progression for a long while. I also like the Ninja Gaiden-esque fire wheel.
HOUSE

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #245 on: May 23, 2018, 02:04:55 PM »
I'm impatient and went ahead and purchased Curse Of The Moon off the Switch J-eShop (it runs in full English).

Just played through the first level- Inticreates has done it again!  The game feels very much like a classic NES-era Castlevania game and there are parts from the first stage that give off heavy CV1 vibes in terms of level design.  Visually it looks just like an 8-bit 'Vania, but with a lot of parallax scrolling and some larger enemy sprites here and there, plus no technical issues like flickering.  Sound is also similar, right down to the digitized-style grunts from your character when he gets hit.

I noticed what appeared to be a few places I couldn't get to with the character you start off as.  Like Castlevania III, you'll get other characters to join you and then you can switch between them at any time to use their abilities.  When I cleared the first level, I got Miriam, who plays like a Belmont (whip!) but can also slide.  There were some places on level one where it definitely looked like you could slide through, so I assume there's a way to go back and replay levels and hopefully this means some hidden areas or even stages pop up, because the game looks pretty short (like around five levels?).  Am OK with that since it's ten bucks though.
ど助平

Dantizzinel

• Jus' Hangin'
« Reply #246 on: May 23, 2018, 02:31:29 PM »
How much was it again? Thinking I'll buy it.

EDIT: Nevermind. 10 bucks is nothing.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 02:47:26 PM by Exodust »
\m/

Spieler1

« Reply #247 on: May 23, 2018, 02:33:44 PM »
Doesn't seem to be on (EU) PSN yet. When I played Dracula X Chronicles for the first time last year, my opinion on Classicvania changed much for the better, so I'll grab this too.

Tasty Meat

• ...Consider yourself truthed.
« Reply #248 on: May 23, 2018, 03:11:21 PM »

:o

I am far more excited for this than the actual game.

Metroidvania :nope

Linear NES/SNES Castlevania :ohyeah
🐚

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #249 on: May 23, 2018, 03:33:41 PM »
I'm getting a code for it tomorrow I guess since I'm a KS sucker backer. :-[
Hi

Svejk

« Reply #250 on: May 23, 2018, 09:42:49 PM »
Just got the email that certain console keys have been delayed.  :-\  (I did PS4.)  They're at least offering temporary Steam keys until then, so that's pretty cool of them.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #251 on: May 23, 2018, 10:45:34 PM »
Some more impressions:

-The game is longer than five levels!  Was glad to see another stage pop up after five.  Dunno how many levels there are supposed to be.  One level is an 8-bit version of the ship from the Ritual Of The Night demo!

-Levels have branching paths.  Unsure if there's different bosses but it doesn't seem like based on the map previews between stages.

-The difficulty starts ramping up after the first stage and starts getting progressively-harder, mainly because of platforming sections where you have enemies flying at you (just like the medusa heads in 'Vania)

-You can switch between veteran and casual play modes after you get a game over or when starting the game.  Veteran is old-school 'Vania, with a limited number of lives and you also get knocked back when hit, which makes platforming sections challenging.  Casual gives you unlimited lives and you don't get knocked back, but as far as I can tell, that's it (?).  You don't get penalized for using casual mode so I decided to switch to that for the rest of my initial playthrough, mainly because of some frustrating jumping sections.

-Characters: The main sword-guy is good for close-range combat.  Miriam is good for farther range combat and jumps a bit higher.  The Alucard rip-off is good for turning into a bat and flying, plus his normal attacks go at an upward arc which can really help (and also hurt- he can't hit some ground enemies).  The old man is...old.  His attack is slow and shitty.  He's basically good for his Ninja Gaiden-style firewheel and that's about it.  I used him to kill a certain boss where this power really helps and that was about it.

-When one character dies, that's it until the rest are dead.  This can kind of suck if you need someone to get to an extra area or alternate path, or if you get stuck with only the old guy left. 
ど助平

Cryo

« Reply #252 on: May 23, 2018, 11:13:37 PM »
oh fuck i forgot this was releasing tomorrow :gladbron

Spieler1

« Reply #253 on: May 24, 2018, 07:41:36 AM »
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2018/05/21/5-big-new-releases-to-look-out-for-on-playstation-store-this-week/
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Not in Austria, Middle East, Belugium, Luxembourg, Scandinavia, Poland, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine)

apparently this game isn't releasing in any neutral European states  :mindblown what is this, I don't want to buy the game on fucking Steam or 3DS.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 08:26:48 AM by Spieler1 »

Dantizzinel

• Jus' Hangin'
« Reply #254 on: May 24, 2018, 05:29:02 PM »
This is pretty alright. I'm not gaga over it but don't regret buying it.
\m/

Bebpo

« Reply #255 on: May 24, 2018, 11:31:44 PM »
How does this compare to the B-tier Igavanias on gba/ds/3ds?

Trent Dole

« Reply #256 on: May 25, 2018, 02:49:55 AM »
It's much more linear and not all that Metroid-y at all. There's branching paths within stages but that seems like it really. There's also some new game + modes that let you take paths you couldn't in your first playthrough and multiple endings, etc, but this is way more CV III/Super IV than SotN. That said I'm having a good time with it. :-*
Hi

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #257 on: May 25, 2018, 07:51:20 AM »
How does this compare to the B-tier Igavanias on gba/ds/3ds?

Curse Of The Moon isn't an Igavania game.  It's a traditional 8-Bit style Castlevania III clone (right down to having four playable characters) from Inticreates.  Ritual Of The Night is the upcoming Igavania.
ど助平

Dantizzinel

• Jus' Hangin'
« Reply #258 on: May 25, 2018, 02:58:33 PM »
My main issue with the game is some of the level design but overall I think it's a solid classicvania.

Btw, how do you kill allies for a solo run?

EDIT: Nevermind, realized you can attack them instead of talking to them for that.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 03:43:11 PM by Exodust »
\m/

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #259 on: May 25, 2018, 06:02:51 PM »
My main issue with the game is some of the level design but overall I think it's a solid classicvania.

Btw, how do you kill allies for a solo run?

EDIT: Nevermind, realized you can attack them instead of talking to them for that.

:ohhh

Wonder if that changes anything up?
ど助平

Dantizzinel

• Jus' Hangin'
« Reply #260 on: May 25, 2018, 06:17:38 PM »
It makes it a lot harder, gives zangetsu different abilities and a new ending
\m/

Freyj

« Reply #261 on: May 25, 2018, 06:32:56 PM »
This is very good.

Whatís not good is I had to use some spare nintenbucks to buy it because they still donít have codes.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #262 on: May 26, 2018, 12:10:21 PM »
So Curse of the Moon downloads for consoles aren't ready yet? Don't really want to have to install Steam on this new computer :(
HOUSE

Tasty Meat

« Reply #263 on: May 26, 2018, 02:13:56 PM »
So Curse of the Moon downloads for consoles aren't ready yet? Don't really want to have to install Steam on this new computer :(

I saw it in the Switch eShop just now.
🐚

Freyj

« Reply #264 on: May 26, 2018, 02:21:49 PM »
Itís been on the eshops since the 24th but they still donít have the codes ready and havenít updated since the 23rd.

Freyj

« Reply #265 on: May 27, 2018, 10:21:16 AM »
Beat Normal. Iíd say itís an appropriate length (8 stages) for this sort of thing especially considering how subsequent playthroughs can branch off. I started a Nightmare game and stopped almost immediately after going the ďclearly only Alucard can go hereĒ route right at the beginning of the first level. Little step up in difficulty.

Cryo

« Reply #266 on: May 28, 2018, 12:25:23 AM »
This is really competently made and not nearly as amateurish as I thought it might play like from the trailer. Up to stage 5 thus far, and the level design's a bit more linear overall than the OG platformers, but there are some cleverly designed portions within these stages to introduce you to mechanics for the characters and their skills. I also appreciate the ability to jump onto stairs and attack in the opposite direction while keeping the classic jump momentum. Haven't yet decided if it apes CV3 too much for its own good, but I'm enjoying the game very much.

The visuals and widescreen portrayal give very strong Shovel Knight vibes, especially in the boss designs. I'm gonna chalk it down to less pixelly, more cartoonish boss designs and tiles.

Tasty Meat

« Reply #267 on: May 28, 2018, 01:40:28 AM »
Should I buy this?
🐚

Freyj

« Reply #268 on: May 28, 2018, 12:56:54 PM »
Hell yeah. It is pretty much a cleaned up CV3.

Cryo

« Reply #269 on: May 28, 2018, 03:03:29 PM »
Yes, it's a great buy at $10 IMO.

Can you actually die to a boss's death throes, or is it just there for kicks? Most of them have been really hard to avoid but I haven't died yet lol

Tasty Meat

« Reply #270 on: May 28, 2018, 03:38:58 PM »
Ugh need to beat Xeodrifter first.
🐚

Tasty Meat

« Reply #271 on: May 28, 2018, 06:42:46 PM »
Beat Xeodrifter. Purchasing now.
🐚

Dantizzinel

• Jus' Hangin'
« Reply #272 on: May 28, 2018, 06:45:35 PM »
Recommendation: Play nightmare mode as soon as you beat it, you could make the argument that the normal mode is the tutorial.

Also try a Zangetsu solo run if you want a more Castlevania like challenge.
\m/

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #273 on: May 29, 2018, 11:32:47 AM »
So wait. What's the 2.5D stuff? I was utterly uninterested in that. This, this I want. But is that 2.5D stuff the same game with different graphics and it's coming later or what?
que

Coax

« Reply #274 on: May 29, 2018, 11:36:38 AM »
Wish this was on GOG but the throwback seems legit.

Tasty Meat

« Reply #275 on: May 29, 2018, 01:22:55 PM »
So wait. What's the 2.5D stuff? I was utterly uninterested in that. This, this I want. But is that 2.5D stuff the same game with different graphics and it's coming later or what?

Two separate games. The 2D game just released was a stretch goal and is more like a little retro appetizer*. The main focus of development is the 2.5D one.

Think of it like Mighty Gunvolt vs. Azure Striker Gunvolt.

*I'm much more interested in the appetizer as well. :P
🐚

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #276 on: May 29, 2018, 02:47:47 PM »

More like Mighty Gunvolt vs. Mighty No. 9, but yeah.
ど助平

Tasty Meat

« Reply #277 on: May 29, 2018, 04:02:22 PM »

:dead :lol
🐚

Cryo

« Reply #278 on: May 29, 2018, 04:05:00 PM »

:fbm

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #279 on: May 29, 2018, 09:47:34 PM »
 :lol

That probably doesn't come off the right way.  I mean the visuals, not one game being good and the other being shitty.  :P
ど助平

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #280 on: June 01, 2018, 03:13:19 PM »
So I broke down and bough this, because of course I did. It's...OK.
que

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #281 on: June 03, 2018, 10:48:05 PM »
Finished it tonight.  Really fun CV3 throwback and it's cool that there's a bit more available after a play-through.  I checked and there's apparently six endings you can get, plus various rooms to discover on levels that you might not come across on the first time through.
ど助平

Spieler1

« Reply #282 on: June 06, 2018, 04:45:50 PM »
This game is good. Fast stair walking  :rejoice

Bebpo

« Reply #283 on: June 06, 2018, 09:47:24 PM »
I picked this up and played through the first two stages last night. Seems pretty solid, bosses seem ridiculously easy compared to some of the level design. I'm not a big fan of Castlevania pre Metroidvania, I've played Dracula X and a couple others and they were ok. Seems like the whip girl is great and the starting guy sucks and the magic dude is just good for certain situations where you need invincible fire wheel?

Do you get to go back to the earlier stages with all your team or is that only after you beat the game?

Tasty Meat

« Reply #284 on: June 06, 2018, 09:58:22 PM »
I'm not a big fan of Castlevania pre Metroidvania

:bolo
🐚

Bebpo

« Reply #285 on: June 06, 2018, 10:17:19 PM »
Always preferred Megaman, less bullshit medusa heads knocking you back into pits (which I keep dying from in Bloodstained as well, fuck that shit).

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #286 on: June 06, 2018, 10:39:06 PM »
Always preferred Megaman, less bullshit medusa heads knocking you back into pits (which I keep dying from in Bloodstained as well, fuck that shit).

Switch the difficulty to casual.
ど助平

Tasty Meat

« Reply #287 on: June 07, 2018, 12:37:01 AM »
I bought Mutant Mudds Collection a while back and I'm waiting til I beat it before starting on Bloodstained. (I beat the original game tonight. :whew)

Let me tell you, even on the hardest setting, I doubt Bloodstained can compare difficulty-wise to some of the levels in MM Deluxe and Super Challenge. It makes me look back fondly at my Castlevania 1 playthrough. :lol

Looking forward to having a nice break after I beat Super Challenge, and Bloodstained should be just the thing. :aah
🐚

Trent Dole

« Reply #288 on: June 07, 2018, 01:59:09 AM »
I'm not a big fan of Castlevania pre Metroidvania

:bolo
Not even CV IV? But you can battle across a bridge and through a room!
Hi

Dantizzinel

• Jus' Hangin'
« Reply #289 on: June 07, 2018, 11:18:56 AM »
Bloodstained is not very difficult to be honest. Nightmare mode and the Zangetsu solo run is what you should be doing for challenge.

Man, I've been thinking about this game a lot lately. What a solid Classicvania. Glad we got one because it's been years.
\m/

Premium Lager

« Reply #290 on: June 08, 2018, 12:27:37 AM »
Ok
Ive never played a Castlevania really but recently I enjoyed games like Stesmworld Dig and Axiom Verge

From reading here its more like Shovel Knight? (Which I also loved)

Is this for me?

(Hate this type of post myself..)

Tasty Meat

« Reply #291 on: June 08, 2018, 12:52:49 AM »
Ok
Ive never played a Castlevania really but recently I enjoyed games like Stesmworld Dig and Axiom Verge

Is this for me?

Ya it should be up your alley.
🐚

Spieler1

« Reply #292 on: June 08, 2018, 03:04:17 AM »
Ok

Is this for me?

play Castlevania (4, Rondo of Blood, Symphony of the Night).

Tasty Meat

« Reply #293 on: June 08, 2018, 09:26:57 AM »
Ok

Is this for me?

play Castlevania (4, Rondo of Blood, Symphony of the Night).

Also the first and third ones from NES.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yeah 4 is kind of a remake but I still like the original too
🐚

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #294 on: June 08, 2018, 09:30:55 AM »
Just go play the best- Dracula X on PC-Engine, Symphony Of The Night on PS1, then Aria Of Sorrow on GBA.  :obama
ど助平

Premium Lager

« Reply #295 on: June 08, 2018, 02:37:14 PM »
Let me travel back in time to get my gba brb

Btw bought this, is veteran the way to play? Will i get lives back after a stage?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #296 on: June 08, 2018, 04:12:12 PM »
Let me travel back in time to get my gba brb

If only there was a way to play older game systems on your PC or other devices.  Like..."emulating" them, if you will. :thinking

Btw bought this, is veteran the way to play? Will i get lives back after a stage?

Veteran = Old-school Castlevania style.  You get knocked back when hit, which can make jumps or platforming sections with enemies difficult.  Limited number of lives. 

Casual = You don't get knocked back when hit and have unlimited lives.

Other than that, the difficulty is the same AFAIK. 
ど助平

Tasty Meat

« Reply #297 on: June 08, 2018, 06:03:34 PM »
Ugh I can't fuck with limited lives (that boot you back to the main menu*.) Castlevania 1 didn't have limited lives so it was totally beatable.

*If that is indeed the case here.
🐚

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #298 on: June 08, 2018, 08:27:28 PM »
This game is great

You don't lose a life until all your characters die, checkpoints are generous, if you get a game over yous tay on the same stage and can change difficulties

I don't think I ever had less than like 4-6 lives

Tasty Meat

« Reply #299 on: June 08, 2018, 08:31:30 PM »
Oh good. I just hate that "back to main menu" shit. Part of the reason I've beaten Castlevania and Kid Icarus but not Super Mario Bros. USA.
🐚