Author Topic: Shenmue III OT - I CAN believe that it's bad!  (Read 152944 times)

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
Re: Shenmue III OT - I still can't believe this is real!
« Reply #1080 on: November 18, 2019, 04:20:31 PM »
This is very cheap.

Changing run from L to R and zoom from R to L is an odd decision. Even more odd is that I can't change the buttons.

How are you playing already? Or is it just the backer demo?
serge

Himu

« Reply #1081 on: November 18, 2019, 04:33:34 PM »
I got it shipped from fangamer/kickstarter. It's the full game.

Impressions:

- Day one is bad.

- They learned jack shit from Shenmue II and have regressed. In Shenmue II they fixed the glacial pacing of the original. You ask where something is and people point things out and give literal directions. "Go around that corner, turn a right at the man that feeds birds." Not in Shenmue III.

- The locks you into a small, dinky little town square. You cannot go past it. You are completely limited beyond a few games of Lucky Hit, some ball-pale game, and some capsule toys. You can't do shit.

- Constant cutscenes. In Shenmue II's Gulin chapter you talk with Shenhua as you walk. It's very organic and relaxing. Here, I'm putting my controller down and it's constantly feeding me tips and tricks.

- Constant loading with a ps2 like loading screen. Nah. If you load that much you don't tell the players when you're loading because now we're conscious of when you're loading. A black screen is more preferable.

- The UX is terrible and makes the game a chore. Like I'm playing Lucky Hit. You only get one try in this game it seems. Okay, fine. But when you mess up and land on the wrong slot you have to go back to square one. You say yes you want to play Lucky Hit again, and then you have to select the board you lost at AGAIN. In II all they did was a simple,"wanna another shot?" and you could say yes or no and you're right back to it. In III it takes so much time to play another game of Lucky Hit on the same board that it borders on tedium. And then I did some toy capsules and said "yes" to wanting more and Ryo instantly got another one without picking which machine. So what's with the inconsistency? Then there's exploring. In this game you will select a dresser drawer and press confirm and you have to press confirm AGAIN. This makes exploring and side games, the two cornerstones of Shenmue's gameplay, completely tedious and slow. Even trying to navigate the journal makes no goddamn sense.

- That said, when it gets in the flow it feels like real Shenmue. I found myself smiling while playing Lucky Hit and listening to that gorgeous music.

As it is the first few days are worst than the beginning of Shenmue 1. At least in 1 you have interesting characters and people with personality and can explore a bit. I'm sure the game gets better as it opens up but damn what were they fucking smoking?
IYKYK

TVC15

« Reply #1082 on: November 18, 2019, 05:52:15 PM »
As it is the first few days are worst than the beginning of Shenmue 1.

You pretended to be disinterested in this to trick me into playing it, didn't you?
serge

Himu

« Reply #1083 on: November 18, 2019, 05:57:43 PM »
The game still isn't open but the pieces are starting to come together and it's feeling mighty good :)
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1084 on: November 18, 2019, 07:49:42 PM »
Despite the horrendously slow start I'm at work and can't wait to play more.

There are a lot of good moments already and the laid back nature of Shenmue games is shining through. The problem is how locked in you are at the beginning. Again, no idea what they were thinking.
IYKYK

NekoFever

« Reply #1085 on: November 18, 2019, 10:02:56 PM »
The fenced-in opening section doesn't last long, though. It's copying what the first game did where it slowly broadens your horizons as you hit certain trigger points, and it kind of makes more sense in this one where there are a lot of systems to get your head around.

And once you've got a bit more freedom, they've absolutely nailed it. It feels like Shenmue and really doesn't play like they've had to narrow the scope to do it on a budget at all.

My only real criticisms so far are that the UI is dogshit (it starts going downhill from a main menu consisting of text in Impact on a static background, unbelievably) and Ryo runs like he's shat himself. Having to feed yourself has the potential to annoy too, but I'll reserve judgement on that.

Himu

« Reply #1086 on: November 18, 2019, 10:57:45 PM »
The closed opening in I ends very quickly though.

Night chats with Shenhua rock.
IYKYK

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #1087 on: November 19, 2019, 01:08:42 AM »

YOU USED
MICROSOFT IMPACT
ON YOUR TITLE SCREEN

Also: where the FUCK does one get their actual digital download code from the Kickstarter page

edit: Ohhh it's on a Fangamer survey page, i had to dig into my emails. Goes live in 11 hours or so. Oh boy
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 01:13:25 AM by Sho Nuff »

Himu

« Reply #1088 on: November 19, 2019, 01:17:57 AM »
Do I have to enter the PS4 code to access my backer shit
IYKYK

Sho Nuff

« Reply #1089 on: November 19, 2019, 01:34:17 AM »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1090 on: November 19, 2019, 02:16:25 AM »
The fangamer page has the code for the DLC shit, but not for the game.
I should be getting the physical ps4 version, but i'm not even 100% sure at this point.

It seems they didn't ship with any kind of tracking, for a 100€ order.  :lol

Himu

« Reply #1091 on: November 19, 2019, 02:30:33 AM »
I had ttacking for USPS.

This game gets REALLY good. Full on Shenmue relax mode. It's great!
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1092 on: November 19, 2019, 02:48:35 AM »
You access the USPS through the fangamer page? Could be different for the US.

Himu

« Reply #1093 on: November 19, 2019, 03:05:38 AM »
No it was default.

First you have to confirm your address then they send an email saying it's ready for shipment which includes tracking info.
IYKYK

Sho Nuff

« Reply #1094 on: November 19, 2019, 03:39:58 AM »
I think I ordered the digital version because I'm a cheapy mccheap

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1095 on: November 19, 2019, 04:04:21 AM »
No it was default.

First you have to confirm your address then they send an email saying it's ready for shipment which includes tracking info.
Just found the email.
It confirms it's shipped with royal mail, and it is NOT tracked.

We are acting as the order fulfilment agent for Fangamer and your order was dispatched on 13-Nov-2019
Your order was dispatched via Royal Mails International service.
NB this not a tracked service and will be delivered by your normal National Mail service

Please note Spiral Galaxy are dispatching the Physical game ONLY. All other kickstarted items will be delivered seperately - Please see Updates on Kickstarter for further information.

Your Order Reference Number is : [ :-* REDACTED :-*] (NB. this is not a courier tracking number)

I hope it doesn't get lost.  :'(

Himu

« Reply #1096 on: November 19, 2019, 04:09:47 AM »
You're a Brit I see. Pegged you as a Frenchie or Spaniard
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1097 on: November 19, 2019, 04:20:07 AM »
You're a Brit I see. Pegged you as a Frenchie or Spaniard
I'm not, but i assume they ship from the UK, so it starts as royal mail, and then goes into other national postal systems.

Svejk

« Reply #1098 on: November 19, 2019, 07:54:35 AM »
I think I ordered the digital version because I'm a cheapy mccheap
Same here.  Yeah, the voucher code is suppose to release at 11am EST in my time zone.  Kinda weird how they're doing this, but oh well.  Not like I have a chance to play it anytime soon. :-\

Svejk

« Reply #1099 on: November 19, 2019, 08:55:02 AM »
I hope to see some Eagleclaw in this episode. Always been my favorite style of Kung Fu since Iron Monkey (the OG one, not that Tarrantino presented abomination.) One of the greatest MA flix of all time.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #1100 on: November 19, 2019, 09:20:44 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

YOU USED
MICROSOFT IMPACT
ON YOUR TITLE SCREEN

Also: where the FUCK does one get their actual digital download code from the Kickstarter page

edit: Ohhh it's on a Fangamer survey page, i had to dig into my emails. Goes live in 11 hours or so. Oh boy

At least its not helvetica...
^_^

Tasty

« Reply #1101 on: November 19, 2019, 10:26:49 AM »

YOU USED
MICROSOFT IMPACT
ON YOUR TITLE SCREEN

Looks like someone's starter XNA game or something.

That said, the logo font for the Shenmue series is terrible too, they probably don't know what a good typeface looks like.

Svejk

« Reply #1102 on: November 19, 2019, 10:30:50 AM »
Yeah, didn't the original title use papyrus or something?  Yu should just use the AM2 logo font for everything.

Himu

« Reply #1103 on: November 19, 2019, 10:51:38 AM »

YOU USED
MICROSOFT IMPACT
ON YOUR TITLE SCREEN

Looks like someone's starter XNA game or something.

That said, the logo font for the Shenmue series is terrible too, they probably don't know what a good typeface looks like.

Yu dictates everything and his reasoning is "I heard young English speakers can't read cursive anymore so we aren't using the old logo the series has had for twenty years". He like, designed himself.

George Lucas situation where no one is willing to say no.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1104 on: November 19, 2019, 11:31:51 AM »
Weren't you also disappointed with DQ11 Cindi? Tough luck with all those long time running nostalgia series games, huh.

She's been warmer on the Switch version I think.

Himu

« Reply #1105 on: November 19, 2019, 11:37:00 AM »
So far I'm not disappointed with III? Has borys been reading the page?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1106 on: November 19, 2019, 11:38:59 AM »
Weren't you also disappointed with DQ11 Cindi? Tough luck with all those long time running nostalgia series games, huh.

She's been warmer on the Switch version I think.

Nah. I'll buy it to support the series though.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1107 on: November 19, 2019, 01:56:23 PM »
More impressions:

- Story pacing is a glacier. We are talking worse than Shenmue 1. And given that II fixed pretty much everything about 1's pacing and story there really is no excuse. So far I've played more than a few hours and literally nothing has happened. I'm still stuck in the first area with places cut off from entry.

- Combat is horrific. Generic grunt looking dudes that Ryo would have toasted with two punches in previous Shenmue games now can take half your life bar. It makes fighting tedious. They changed moves so you enter button combinations to do moves which doesn't work for Shenmue given the sheer amount of moves at your disposal. The move inputs also make no sense now. In the past there was a dedicated punch button, kick button, dodge button. But now it's just random, but you've got an entire list of moves to use so randomness doesn't work.

- You can't skip text unless they're repeating old information ( stupid decision given the monotony that Shenmue can get to)

- You can't skip cutscenes.

Despite these issues the game is still good.

- It has a relaxed pace and the game loop of training -> getting money for healing items -> exploring -> repeat is fun. This game, more than any other Shenmue game, has the act of perfecting a routine or schedule.

- The game feels so lived in. Chatting with Shenhua at night is a joy.

- I love the martial training aspect and the feel of getting stronger. Exploration is good when you're allowed it.

- Lots of fun diversions like fishing, herb gathering that allow you to gain money. Shenmue III is pretty freeform like II in that regard. Even more so actually.

Right now the biggest issue is the story pacing. It is really, really bad. I hope to God it picks up.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1108 on: November 19, 2019, 03:37:13 PM »
Anyone want my backer code? They emailed it to me today even though I got a refund. Honestly not sure what it's for, just says it "unlocks in game content"

Tasty

« Reply #1109 on: November 19, 2019, 03:40:49 PM »
I just got mine too lol. But keeping it.

Is there a time limit to redeem?

Himu

« Reply #1110 on: November 19, 2019, 03:41:27 PM »
You have to give them your dlc code too. The backer code validates the dlc.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1111 on: November 19, 2019, 03:42:44 PM »
i wonder if everyone got the same password?

oh i dont have a dlc code

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #1112 on: November 19, 2019, 04:01:56 PM »
Anyone want my backer code? They emailed it to me today even though I got a refund. Honestly not sure what it's for, just says it "unlocks in game content"

If it’s PS4 I’ll try it out playboy
(ice)

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1113 on: November 19, 2019, 04:04:06 PM »
seems its usable on both, but if you need a dlc code you may be out of luck. either way give it a shot. ill pm in a sec

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #1114 on: November 19, 2019, 04:13:40 PM »
lol I thought it was for a free copy not some dlc, sorry m8
(ice)

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1115 on: November 19, 2019, 04:17:43 PM »
 :lol

Himu

« Reply #1116 on: November 20, 2019, 02:02:50 PM »
Shenmue III is a bad game.

But I still like it.

Honestly if you aren't a Shenmue diehard you really shouldn't bother playing it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 02:21:57 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #1117 on: November 20, 2019, 06:10:18 PM »
So in other words, I suffered Shenmue 1-2 for nothing after all the hype for the kickstarter? :goty2

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #1118 on: November 20, 2019, 10:27:52 PM »
So you think there'll be a IV or is it gonna permadie now.
Hi

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1119 on: November 21, 2019, 05:40:24 AM »
So you think there'll be a IV or is it gonna permadie now.
It certainly wouldn't have the propulsion this one had.
Announcing a Shenmue 4 on the E3 stage, wouldn't turn heads like 3 did.

That said, it could probably happen if they can keep it super low budget and reuse assets from 3, just to continue the story for the hardcore fans.

thisismyusername

« Reply #1120 on: November 21, 2019, 07:09:26 AM »
I mean the Kickstarter made them money. Depending on how hardcore fans like Himu perceive this one (Himu hating it, others liking it????), I could see them getting enough kickstarter money (1million? I guess?) to reuse assets to the finish line, maybe. As highly unlikely as it would be, the "hard" part of getting an engine and getting assets is over.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1121 on: November 21, 2019, 07:17:34 AM »
Engine is UE4, so that was free in the first place.
Shenmue was supposed to be what, 12, 9 parts? I doubt they could wrap it up in 4 anyway.

thisismyusername

« Reply #1122 on: November 21, 2019, 07:40:20 AM »
Was it? AFAIK for AA(A) studios, Epic charges you to get around the licensing recouping fee thing they do on indies.

And yeah, the biggest problem for the series is Yu's hubris: Thinking he can do a GRAND EPIC ADVENTURE!!!! of 12-parts when he hasn't released a first part (at the time). The same issue that plagues TV shows and movies. But made worse in games because they clearly don't write these stories to be slightly self-containing.

(Maybe if Yu made a table-top campaign RPG thing for GURPS, Genesys, D20 Open-Source... he could finish the story that way AND let players write their own adventures for Ryo/etc. But that'd kinda fly in the face of his "control" so would never happen)

Chooky

« Reply #1123 on: November 21, 2019, 11:39:38 AM »
that 12 part thing isn't accurate anyway. iirc the end of shenmue 2 was the conclusion of part 5 or something.

Svejk

« Reply #1124 on: November 21, 2019, 11:47:57 AM »
Yeah, I think he said he could(would) wrap it up with 6 installments... 5, if pushing it.  Been trying to find where I read that, but failing at my google-fu today.  :doge

Himu

« Reply #1125 on: November 21, 2019, 11:49:00 AM »
I never said I hate it. I said the opposite. I like it. But it's a bad game.
IYKYK

TVC15

« Reply #1126 on: November 21, 2019, 12:56:56 PM »
Hey Cindi, about how many hours will I have to play before it "opens up" and feels not on rails? Sorry for being vague, I hope you know what I mean. When can I do what I want, beyond the initial opening story/tutorial rush?

(Also, maybe you skipped these, but how long are the Shenmue 1&2 summary vids? If it's under an hour total I'll give em a shot)

Just wondering if I should try this tonight. If it takes like 4 hours to get going, it's not a good game to start on a work night.

Also, if any PC nerds could give me recs on best capture software or whatever, I'll see if I can come up with GIF gold. Just give me the name of software, I'll figure it out. No idea if these store overlay capture systems are any good.
serge

Himu

« Reply #1127 on: November 21, 2019, 01:02:14 PM »
The entire town doesn't open up until you do a bunch of bullshit. It's horrific in pacing. Took like a week or more of in game time to have full access to the town.

By comparison you have full access of Hong Kong in Shenmue II at day two if you make it to the hotel.

Complete regression clearly made to pad the game out and of course Shenmue diehards are saying that aspect is good
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1128 on: November 21, 2019, 01:44:59 PM »
I made it to the second city/town.

So far this is the most pointless sequel ever made.

Every story revelation is something revealed in II.

The mirrors contain a map to royal treasure?!  :o

Sunming Zhao is Lan Di's father?!?! :o

And yet Ryo is shocked in every single scene.

Remember the whole goal for Ryo to Guilin to begin with was because that was where the mirrors were made and he could find insight about the treasure? But the whole reveal for the Guilin part is *gasp* the mirrors contain a map to treasure!

Ryo is a fucking dumb ass in this. Asks if Chai is part of the Chi You Men. Did you forget fighting that bald fuck multiple times in Shenmue 1?

The game posits it's "for the fans" but so far is really just an overall overview of the plot points already told in II.

So really, it's for Shenmue 1 fans that skipped the vastly superior Shenmue II.

No answers. No new plot points or development. Just recap of shit we've known for a decade plus.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 01:51:08 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1129 on: November 21, 2019, 03:10:30 PM »
 :goty2

that's a bummer

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1130 on: November 21, 2019, 03:16:45 PM »
Shenmue 2 being "vastly superior" is debatable, though i just see them as two acts of the same story.  :hitler

Maybe it's been so long, Yu Suzuki actually forgot those plot points himself  :lol

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1131 on: November 21, 2019, 03:22:31 PM »
I still need to watch a shenmue 2 longplay  ;)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1132 on: November 21, 2019, 03:23:53 PM »
The beauty of Shenmue is to live inside that world and immerse yourself in it, the story isn't all that, it'd just be a big waste fo time, in my opinion.

Himu

« Reply #1133 on: November 21, 2019, 03:43:50 PM »
Shenmue 2 being "vastly superior" is debatable, though i just see them as two acts of the same story.  :hitler

Maybe it's been so long, Yu Suzuki actually forgot those plot points himself  :lol

I don't disagree but you know what i mean
IYKYK

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1134 on: November 21, 2019, 08:50:35 PM »
The beauty of Shenmue is to live inside that world and immerse yourself in it, the story isn't all that, it'd just be a big waste fo time, in my opinion.
the beauty of watching a longplay is that I don't actually play the game, I just let someone else live inside and immerse themselves while I watch  :-[

Svejk

« Reply #1135 on: November 22, 2019, 09:18:09 AM »
I can't believe this is sitting in my PS4 right now... and I have no time to play it.  It's still gonna be awhile.  :-\ 

Sho Nuff

« Reply #1136 on: November 22, 2019, 09:37:01 AM »
Oh man. This is....the pacing of this game...it's like...glacial.

This is such a Dreamcast game. The awkward camera cuts, the myriad of technical issues we've solved in the 18 years since... I wish I could knock all the models down to LOD2/LOD3 and run it at 640x480 on a CRT.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #1137 on: November 23, 2019, 06:17:23 PM »
Is it really that bad? :goty

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #1138 on: November 23, 2019, 07:40:26 PM »
Shenmue 1&2 are still technical marvels I'd say. Disregarding gameplay and storytelling, Shenmue was viewed as quite a technical marvel at the time. Like, in HD they still look great to this day.

Shenmue 3 visually looks like eurojank made a generation ago. It's astounding how bad the character models and animations are. This was not going to be a huge, technical marvel. However, it doesn't have that same theming or style the first two games have.

Dreamcast games have lots of charm. Shenmue 3..... doesn't.
OH!

Himu

« Reply #1139 on: November 23, 2019, 09:26:52 PM »
IYKYK