Author Topic: Shenmue III OT - I CAN believe that it's bad!  (Read 153052 times)

nachobro

• Live Más
Re: Shenmue III OT - I still can't believe this is real!
« Reply #960 on: September 23, 2019, 09:04:50 AM »
i was promised a physical edition and am not getting it. kickstarter backers are being shafted with the various editions releasing and missing out on pre-order bonuses. backers were promised to be first to lay hands on the game with the pc demo, and now even steam keys are up in air. damn near every pre-release promise was broken so i feel no guilt in getting all of my money back.

the devs and the pub can get fucked at this point. just because other devs also fucked up doesn't mean i have to take it from these idiots too. at this point i'm turned off enough by the game and series that i've got zero interest anymore. i guess i'll just take it as a lesson to never back one of these idiotic things again (even though I backed psychonauts 2, but only at the basic "pay $25 to get the game" level).

no plans to pirate the game, maybe i'll feel different in a year when i can get the GOTY version for $150 less than i backed for but either way i've got about 500 other games to play between now and then anyway.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 09:15:24 AM by nachobro »

Occam

« Reply #961 on: September 23, 2019, 10:36:18 AM »
Backers almost always seem to be the last people to get the game.
It's so annoying when you receive your download code only AFTER the game's official launch.
Speaking of disappointing kickstarter campaigns, the physical rewards for Bloodstained still haven't shipped, and I also still haven't received a physical copy of La-Mulana 2 (which launched ages ago).

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #962 on: September 23, 2019, 12:59:37 PM »
Not that i'd like any of that pointless crap, but having given 100$+ to the Kickstarter, for a regular ps4 copy, i do feel like a moron now, without even the preorder bonuses.

I rarely use Kickstarter or Indiegogo and the like- It generally never feels like it's worth it.  Only got burned from one project (lost like $15 so not too bad compared to some of the nightmares I've read about) and made the mistake of backing hardware 7-8 years ago- they delivered, but it took forever and was already on sale at shops when I got it. 

Even with companies I trust, like the GPD folks, I still wouldn't back anything because it seems like backers are the guinea pigs and either get the shittier units first and sellers get the improved models and/or shops get the units for sale before the backers do.
I got caught in the hype of Shenmue coming back but lesson learned, i'm done with videogame Kickstarters, they're just too unreliable.

I've pledged to several other non-gaming kickstarters though, and they all delivered just fine (mostly artbooks), with a slight delay at most.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #963 on: September 27, 2019, 08:27:22 AM »
Shenmue 1 and 2 didn't launch on Steam either, and they seemed to have turned out well enough.

This is a false equivalence. No shit Shenmue 1+2 didn't launch on Steam in 2000 because Steam wasn't available then. *gasp* Wonderful logic there, dude.

But the thing is: Shenmue 1+2 did eventually launch on Steam... via a port... when Shenmue 3 was announced. But anyway, I'm not sure where you're going with this stupid bit of logic, because you can think I'm "jerking myself off" because I flat-refuse to use a piece of Chinese Spyware that is a leaking sieve of security (make an account? Suddenly get 50+ emails about someone trying to change the password even with their shitty "2Factor" on) and don't trust them with a credit card because of that.

But do go off, king, about how me and others are "being irrational" because "just another store-front" is making a title exclusive.

I'll buy Shenmue 3 if it comes to Steam, if it doesn't: I'll pirate. I'm not sure what is so controversial about a statement like this that you feel the need to be so triggered by it, but continue to feel you "won" or whatever, bro.

(Also this is a more engaging conversation than Rah being triggered, I should probably book-mark this for the next time he spergs out)

And before I forget:

cloud saves are the only thing Steam offers that could affect your enjoyment of the game,

Hardly. I couldn't give a shit about cloud saves. They're a "nice to have, but not needed" feature. Because there's things like "backing up the save manually" that you can do on PC.

For me, I do not trust Epic's security with my financial or account information. So thereby, I flat-out refuse to use their store and buy games "exclusive" to it. You can think that's not the reason, but if you honestly think that cloud saves are the only reason I would pirate Shenmue 3 if it's Epic Exclusive for more than a year: You're just as bad as Rah at missing the point.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #964 on: September 27, 2019, 08:37:04 AM »
got my refund already, that was quick. some people are complaining cause epic/ys net didn't factor paypal fees into the refund amounts, but i'm pretty sure i got more back than i pledged so i'm fine with that.

i believe i still got an egs code for the demo so if anyone wants it, pm me.

thisismyusername

« Reply #965 on: September 27, 2019, 08:40:27 AM »
You do if 4chan is anything to go buy. They'll process the refund but still give you a code.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #966 on: October 03, 2019, 02:30:57 AM »
What do you need to do to get the demo? I'm a backer but haven't gotten anything.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #967 on: October 03, 2019, 06:10:07 AM »
I'm also a backer (a 100 fucking €) and didn't get shit.  >:(
I think it's because i selected a PS4 copy, since i didn't trust them to do a PC port.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #968 on: October 03, 2019, 08:55:53 AM »
I did end up getting a demo code if either of you want it, I guess it only went to PC backers. Requires PC and EGS of course.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #969 on: October 03, 2019, 09:35:39 AM »
I'll let Sho Nuff go first if he wants it.
I'm cool waiting for the full game anyway.

I just think they've handled this whole campaign kind of weird, to be honest.

Svejk

« Reply #970 on: October 03, 2019, 10:31:11 AM »
With so many choice nugz coming in the next 4-5 months, I don't know when I'll even get a chance to play S3.  :doge  That being said, I don't want this game to be any longer than 10 hours plz.

Sho Nuff

« Reply #971 on: October 03, 2019, 01:12:41 PM »
If it hasn't been claimed I'd love to play this sucker over the weekend!

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #972 on: October 03, 2019, 01:16:26 PM »
sent it via pm, enjoy! :D

Sho Nuff

« Reply #973 on: October 03, 2019, 09:10:01 PM »
ME AND RYO ARE GOING ON AN ADVENTURE, RIGHT NOW

paprikastaude

« Reply #974 on: October 04, 2019, 01:59:04 PM »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #975 on: October 04, 2019, 04:07:18 PM »
ME AND RYO ARE GOING ON AN ADVENTURE, RIGHT NOW
How is the combat?

Sho Nuff

« Reply #976 on: October 04, 2019, 09:53:03 PM »
All right, so, this is pretty much okay. It feels like Shenmue proper, and although there's not a lot of deep meaningful stuff to do in the demo itself, I think they did a really good job recreating the feel of what was one of the most expensive games of all time with a budget that is...not that.

Didn't play a lot of combat but it seemed....servicable!? Gotta give it another run.

Svejk

« Reply #977 on: October 14, 2019, 02:05:47 PM »
Wait, ... this is showing as $59.99 pre-order on PSN?  Thought this was a $30-$40 tier game.   ???

Coffee Dog

« Reply #978 on: October 15, 2019, 01:40:57 AM »
No, it's just ugly.

Svejk

« Reply #979 on: November 01, 2019, 05:32:15 PM »
Been watching the game movies on youtubez to refresh my memory and holy crap... S2 is so damn broad and amazing!  :lawd  I only remember bits and pieces back then. (Modded DC with dat VGA box!)  Needless to say, if Yu keeps up this momentum into S3, this will be something special. 
Hype refortified.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 05:56:11 PM by Svejk »

Chooky

« Reply #980 on: November 01, 2019, 06:54:55 PM »
shenmue 2 is so underappreciated even tho it does what 1 wanted to do a million times better. the game was absolutely massive in scope for its time and it's fucking wild to explore each area. makes 1 look like a tiny little opening area.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #981 on: November 07, 2019, 03:46:07 PM »
Game is gonna be $35 on Black Friday at Best Buy, talk about la bomba. :neogaf
©@©™

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #982 on: November 07, 2019, 05:52:18 PM »
When do reviews drop for this? There’s gonna be some catch like it being 4 hours long isn’t there.
(ice)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #983 on: November 07, 2019, 06:55:14 PM »
Are they shipping these out already to backers? 'Cause i still got no email about it.

Svejk

« Reply #984 on: November 07, 2019, 07:11:16 PM »
I paid $30 as a backer and getting a digital copy.   :idont. Was this originally suppose to be a $50-$60 game?

I read Yu mentioned a 10-20 hour adventure, iirc.  Sounds fine to me. 

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #985 on: November 07, 2019, 09:39:37 PM »
it'll be $60 on release but best buy is selling it for $35? first time i've seen a game with that big of a discount announced before release. :lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #986 on: November 08, 2019, 11:51:44 PM »
All right, so, this is pretty much okay. It feels like Shenmue proper, and although there's not a lot of deep meaningful stuff to do in the demo itself, I think they did a really good job recreating the feel of what was one of the most expensive games of all time with a budget that is...not that.

Didn't play a lot of combat but it seemed....servicable!? Gotta give it another run.

Did your opinion of it end up changing much after your 2nd run?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #987 on: November 12, 2019, 05:01:56 PM »
https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/1194312240704491521
That Dreamcast case reminding of the good ol' days
 :tocry
ど助平

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #988 on: November 12, 2019, 08:51:49 PM »
I really hope this is good for Cindi’s sake.
serge

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #989 on: November 13, 2019, 09:25:20 AM »
I think Cindi soured on it because of how it went Epic game store exclusive.
WDW

Coffee Dog

« Reply #990 on: November 13, 2019, 10:52:34 AM »
I haven't heard anything but good things, though it seems like only Shenmue diehards are the only people interested in the actual game anymore rather than storefront warzzz

Himu

« Reply #991 on: November 13, 2019, 11:04:34 AM »

It's more than that. I HATE Shenmue fans. Not only have I soured on the developers but also the fanbase. I know these don't matter in the grand scheme but they were all I had while waiting ten plus years. I defended Shenmue for years. I wrote articles with thousands of views on why Shenmue III is worth being excited about. I streamed the games for the dojo. I spread and advertised that site as much as I could. I have been kicked out of the Shenmue community for being too negative and skeptical. They banned me for that very reason and then registered a fake user, pretended they were me, because they know it'd look bad of you just banned someone who has been a part of the community for OVER TEN YEARS simply because they fairly criticized the site owner.

The developers? Snakes.

The fans? Also snakes.

I have tried for months to get excited again. I was going to buy 5-6 copies.

Now I no longer care, have cancelled multiple copies, and just want this to all end so Shenmue can die forever.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #992 on: November 13, 2019, 11:19:15 AM »
 :holeup  Damn... ain't that some shit.  Sorry to hear that.

thisismyusername

« Reply #993 on: November 13, 2019, 11:36:55 AM »
Calm down, son daughter, it's only a drawing fan-forum.

Himu

« Reply #994 on: November 13, 2019, 11:48:34 AM »
That doesn't change shit.

I know it's just a fan forum and I said in the goddamn post none of it should matter but it does and I'm just sick of Shenmue. Well maybe if you get called a fake fan enough times because you're not a blind fan taco and combined with a scandal that rips players off you might stop giving a shit about your favorite game too.

Fuck off.
IYKYK

TVC15

« Reply #995 on: November 13, 2019, 01:06:58 PM »
Cindi, do you know what this means? You souring on Shenmue shortly before the release of its long-awaited third entry could mean only one thing... you must become the real Lan Di. The Shenmue fanbase has stolen your personal “Dragon Mirror” when you should be the one that gets to appreciate it.

serge

Svejk

« Reply #996 on: November 13, 2019, 01:28:00 PM »
Not only did I get an email for the launch trailer, but 14 emails of the launch trailer.  WTF  :lol  :doge

EDIT:  Just got 2 more emails!  Should I be concerned?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 01:47:42 PM by Svejk »

TVC15

« Reply #997 on: November 13, 2019, 02:05:05 PM »
That’s how Lan Di gets your dads in the age of data caps.
serge

Himu

« Reply #998 on: November 13, 2019, 03:19:54 PM »
Not only did I get an email for the launch trailer, but 14 emails of the launch trailer.  WTF  :lol  :doge

Launch trailer and still no gameplay.

W
H
O

C
A
R
E
S
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #999 on: November 13, 2019, 04:08:53 PM »
Shenmue... gameplay? :confused

TVC15

« Reply #1000 on: November 13, 2019, 04:16:53 PM »
Is this on PC? If it makes you feel better, Cindi, if this runs acceptably I’ll suffer through it just so I can loudly shit on it in here. I legitimately hate these games, so I’d hate this one even if it were a “good” Shenmue game. It would make you smiiiiiiiiiiiiile. I’m almost guaranteed to hate this even more than Death Stranding, and I promise you that I will play S3 until its sloppy, disappointing finale.
serge

thisismyusername

« Reply #1001 on: November 13, 2019, 04:30:27 PM »
That doesn't change shit.

I know it's just a fan forum and I said in the goddamn post none of it should matter but it does and I'm just sick of Shenmue. Well maybe if you get called a fake fan enough times because you're not a blind fan taco and combined with a scandal that rips players off you might stop giving a shit about your favorite game too.

Fuck off.

Hon, my snark is sound: You're freaking out over a fan forum because you spent 10 years there. You're letting it sour your love for a series because of off-game drama. Maybe... calm down and realize that them treating you like shit is probably a good thing in the sense that you NOW don't have to deal with that drama if they find this third entry as bad as you think it is?

Think of it this way: If you got them SEETHING so fucking hard that they're making fake accounts to try to make you say different/slander you, you know you've won. Laugh about it, and forget them.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 04:36:32 PM by thisismyusername »

TVC15

« Reply #1002 on: November 13, 2019, 04:45:45 PM »
Don’t be like me, Cindi. Don’t let other people get to you and change you.

Now please tell me I’m right and that me buying this will make you happy so I can justify buying another terrible video game that I’ll only play for two hours. Make it snappy please; work is probably expecting me to try to accomplish something today.
serge

Coffee Dog

« Reply #1003 on: November 13, 2019, 04:58:46 PM »

Launch trailer and still no gameplay.

W
H
O

C
A
R
E
S

Backers have had the demo for a month. :lol We've had hours and hours of gameplay for ages.

thisismyusername

« Reply #1004 on: November 13, 2019, 05:00:30 PM »
Sure, but Himu's point is more: This is for non-backers. You still haven't shown gameplay to non-backers through official channels. That's pretty... worrying... dude.

Chooky

« Reply #1005 on: November 13, 2019, 05:07:38 PM »
i mean, it's shenmue. gameplay is gonna be walking and talking with a handful of virtua fighter fights and some qtes. as far as i know they aren't shaking up the formula.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #1006 on: November 13, 2019, 05:07:42 PM »
Sure, but Himu's point is more: This is for non-backers. You still haven't shown gameplay to non-backers through official channels. That's pretty... worrying... dude.

"Worrying". About what? What exactly is worrying? The status of the game? Here's an hour and a half, just from a search of "Shenmue 3 gameplay".
https://youtu.be/0cCVmneDjDA

Looks like Shenmue.

The only thing "worrying" is the level of bitch eating crackers shit over their PR, all because of storefront warzzzzz.

TVC15

« Reply #1007 on: November 13, 2019, 05:11:28 PM »
Hopefully Shenmue 3 is successful so they can at least hire some junior high kids or something to do the character models for Shenmue 4. There’s dire stuff in that video.
serge

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #1008 on: November 13, 2019, 05:15:09 PM »

"Worrying". About what? What exactly is worrying? The status of the game? Here's an hour and a half, just from a search of "Shenmue 3 gameplay".

Looks like Shenmue.

The only thing "worrying" is the level of bitch eating crackers shit over their PR, all because of storefront warzzzzz.

I really hope that’s not the real start menu in the final game cuz it some serious struggle shit. I’d be legit mad if I paid cash money and was greeted with that.
(ice)

thisismyusername

« Reply #1009 on: November 13, 2019, 05:18:44 PM »

Looks like Shenmue.

Their job is to sell the game to non-backers. It's "worrying" because they're failing at that.

How do you... not know... business 101? They already have backers money, they don't need to show gameplay to those folks. But they do need to show gameplay to the folks that haven't backed and may be interested in their product. Not showing gameplay this close to launch is pretty worrying.

"Oh, just look up these third part--"

No, third party gamers shouldn't be doing Deep Silvers advertising job for them. Try again.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #1010 on: November 13, 2019, 05:21:05 PM »

Looks like Shenmue.

Their job is to sell the game to non-backers. It's "worrying" because they're failing at that.

How do you... not know... business 101? They already have backers money, they don't need to show gameplay to those folks. But they do need to show gameplay to the folks that haven't backed and may be interested in their product. Not showing gameplay this close to launch is pretty worrying.

"Oh, just look up these third part--"

No, third party gamers shouldn't be doing Deep Silvers advertising job for them. Try again.

You know timu, since the press didn't steal that copy of the game, I'm pretty sure that Deep Silver is doing their advertising job.

"NO ONLY TRAILERS FROM THE OFFICIAL CHANNEL COUNT AS ADVERTISING"

like what the fuck is that  :lol

Edit: and dammit, i actually bothered to check their official channel, where there's 3 fucking videos of gameplay uploaded in the past few weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d98TKaE63DI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWTYHejeHp0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNI0hujRW5c

woah it's almost like you have an axe to grind or something

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1011 on: November 13, 2019, 05:24:41 PM »

It's more than that. I HATE Shenmue fans. Not only have I soured on the developers but also the fanbase. I know these don't matter in the grand scheme but they were all I had while waiting ten plus years. I defended Shenmue for years. I wrote articles with thousands of views on why Shenmue III is worth being excited about. I streamed the games for the dojo. I spread and advertised that site as much as I could. I have been kicked out of the Shenmue community for being too negative and skeptical. They banned me for that very reason and then registered a fake user, pretended they were me, because they know it'd look bad of you just banned someone who has been a part of the community for OVER TEN YEARS simply because they fairly criticized the site owner.

The developers? Snakes.

The fans? Also snakes.

Now I no longer care, have cancelled multiple copies, and just want this to all end so Shenmue can die forever.
Shenmue is already dead, has been for years.
This 3rd one will do like the JSR remaster and just remind people how dated the series is and how little they actually care, beyond the meme itself.

I say this as a fan, since i consider Shenmue 1, one of the greatest achievements in the gaming space.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #1012 on: November 13, 2019, 05:31:00 PM »

The developers? Snakes.

The fans? Also snakes.

Shenmue is already dead, has been for years.
This 3rd one will do like the JSR remaster and just remind people how dated the series is and how little they actually care, beyond the meme itself.

I say this as a fan, since i consider Shenmue 1, one of the greatest achievements in the gaming space.

Yeah, I'm a newcomer to the Shenmue series having only played the first a couple months ago (playing 2 now), but if this thing didn't have the Epic Store fiasco hanging over its head it was going to have a car crash reception waiting for it when it got into everyone's hands. The game is slow, it's mundane, and in shenmue 3 it's frequently fucking ugly. The only way the series is going to continue after this is if they have a plan to take what they've established here and churn out a Shenmue 4 before they burn through their meager profits, but i'm not optimistic.

Himu

« Reply #1013 on: November 13, 2019, 05:33:42 PM »
lmao

"backers have had a demo"

You sound like the shenmue fan whores I've debated online for a goddamn year plus.

In order to sell Shenmue to the masses you have to explain WHAT IT IS. It's the type of game where you have to sell the conceit. It's like Nintendo advertising Animal Crossing and making it all about I don't know, story or something, when Animal Crossing is relaxing fun customization time. They have failed, on every level, to express the appeal of Shenmue because they're dumb shits. And this is the LAUNCH TRAILER and they have NOTHING TO SHOW after 4 goddamn years.

The game is out this month and we HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU CAN YOU DO IN IT.

By contrast.

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1014 on: November 13, 2019, 05:35:07 PM »
Meanwhile, I AM GOING TO SELL A STORY-BASED GAME THAT HASN'T HAD A NEW ENTRY SINCE 2001 BY PROMOTING THE STORY, WHICH NEW PEOPLE DON'T KNOW THE FUCK ABOUT rather than promote a unique, niche product for what it is.

Fuck Shenmue, fuck Yu Suzuki, and fuck Deep Silver.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1015 on: November 13, 2019, 05:38:52 PM »
Another counter example.

TELL PEOPLE ABOUT THE GAME.

Why should any one that hasn't played 1 or 2 be excited for 3 if they don't know the story? Fuck, II is my favorite game of all time and I'm not excited. What is there to do in it? Why should I CARE?
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1016 on: November 13, 2019, 05:42:49 PM »
pretty much every pre-release promise they made was a lie so the devs and the pr can both eat dicks. glad i got my dough back.

Himu

« Reply #1017 on: November 13, 2019, 05:47:02 PM »
pretty much every pre-release promise they made was a lie so the devs and the pr can both eat dicks. glad i got my dough back.

Good. Fuck them.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1018 on: November 13, 2019, 05:47:44 PM »
it being dropped to bomba prices before it's even out still makes me laugh :lol

Himu

« Reply #1019 on: November 13, 2019, 05:48:18 PM »
Is this on PC? If it makes you feel better, Cindi, if this runs acceptably I’ll suffer through it just so I can loudly shit on it in here. I legitimately hate these games, so I’d hate this one even if it were a “good” Shenmue game. It would make you smiiiiiiiiiiiiile. I’m almost guaranteed to hate this even more than Death Stranding, and I promise you that I will play S3 until its sloppy, disappointing finale.

Please do this.
IYKYK